A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 181 to 199 of 199
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    "Don't worry yourself on that score -- we'll keep them alive, if for no other reason to root out any traitors still remaining on the mainland. I expect most of them are loyal to their commanders or the Duchess, or else they'd stop fighting, but we'll have to see.

    As for your bullets, Seaman Lildon will see to your needs."


    A sailor nods and returns to the Reliant with any basic supplies the party requests that might be aboard a small warship, including some ammunition for Aeric. He has you sign for the goods so the RHC can remunerate the Navy later. (This is like requisitioning goods from the RHC -- you'll have pay for it later, so you can just take the gold off your character sheet now.)

    After the medics have finished taking care of the party, they start to move among the unconscious and wounded enemy soldiers, surveying the condition of each and beginning treatment on those who are worst off.

    A while later, the RNS Impossible returns from the front lines and Captain Rutger Smith invites the constables on to the ship, but frowns when he notes that Mikal, Ialia and Kintaro don't appear to be present, and looks at Taral, Aeric and Leif appraisingly.

    He nods to the constables he does recognize. "A job well done. You're a credit to the RHC, and I'm sure Tanya will rest easier knowing her task did not go unfinished.

    But I miss half of your team, and Burton. They are still alive, I hope? And who are these new companions?"
    Last edited by Tukka; 2013-02-26 at 07:14 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Taral Kasha

    Blood, both his own and from those he'd slain, caked his body by the time reinforcements arrived, Taral nods in appreciation to Captain Peters, allowing his healers to do their duty without hassle. Hearing the talk of the prisoners conditions, he pipes in "I left a high level operative alive inside the tower. Hopefully he will have some useful intel."

    Following his colleagues onto Captain Smith's vessel, he steps up to answer the query. "My name is Taral Kasha. I used to be a spy. Until the Duchess ordered myself, Aeric Silverspur, and Leif Haust, to join Firbolg Company in investigating Drakran weapons' factories on this island. Our attached company was slaughtered, and once we uncovered the truth about the Duchess, we have worked with team you are familiar with stop her."

    He pointed to his associates in turn, before squaring up to Rutger. "And speaking of stoping her, we need to move out quickly if we have any chance of catching her. Your forces have hassled those that remain loyal to her, but she has almost certainly in with hostile Fey elements, and I think it would be prudent to move forward as quickly as possible."

    Turning his eyes back to the center of the island, he plans out several angles of assault on the Duchess's fortress. She had plenty of time to reinforce her stronghold while the team had simply fought to defend the beachhead. This would be hard, but it had to be done.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Having spent 3 of 10 surges (the artificer power was surged based, yes?) and getting the medical attention, Taral is up to 22. Going to waste a point and get all the way back up. Short rest, all encounter powers back. Goodie.

    Also, what time of day would it be by now, roughly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Back in the cave we came in to the island on.. They should still be alive. We lost many early. there was an explosion under the water. it was all very strange....
    We met these others on the mainland, the duchess had sent them in but they didnt know of her treachery on the coaltounge. what a beatuliful ship that was is . Would have spent more time theere so much to see.
    So have you found the duchess yet?

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Spoiler
    Show
    My infusion was a free surge for you. also I still have one in reserve in case we need it. If allowed i will burn another of my surges to create a second infusion

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Tintau moves back into the lighthouse while the party is resting and collapses Tur to put the turret back in his back for later deployment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    actually i don't think I used an infusion since I recharged one I should still have two left.

    He debates removing his disguise but decides he is better left an unkown for the moment.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Leif
    Limping away from the lighthouse, Leif sticks with Taral while he talks to Captain Smith. With the loss of her companions and the slaughter in the lighthouse, Leif doesn't feel like talking but provides the occasional nod to backup Taral as he explains their presence on the island.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Per our DM:
    History - (1d20+1)[17]
    Arcana - (1d20+1)[16]

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Leif looks concerned when Tintau mentions the Burton and the other lost constables.

    Captain Smith says, "I'm pleased to make your acquaintance," after being introduced to the new constables.

    He produces a small box from his coat, and offers everyone a cigar.

    "Of course, you are correct to stay focused -- don't smoke them until the mission is over.

    I understand your desire for speed, and you are correct to be wary of the Duchess's fey sorcery and allies. It's possible she has already escaped.

    Still, I would advise a measure of patience, unless you have a plan that demands haste.

    The rebels have us bottled up in the harbor for now, but the battle is going well. Major Stockham says we should break their defenses soon, and have control of the outer fortress within an hour.

    I would not advise you to join the direct assault -- most of you are not soldiers, however skilled you may be in a fight, and a half dozen extra men will not make a difference on the line."


    Then Leif asks after the other constables that were lost earlier -- Burton, whose leg was crippled, and Kintaro, who was knocked unconscious, both of whom are at the bottom of a mine, left under the care of a Danoran mining foreman. She asks if they've been recovered or seen to since.

    "Unfortunately no," responds Rutger Smith. "We didn't have any scrolls of Water Breathing on board, and I had orders to join the main fleet, so we could not linger long. It has been troubling me, though. It sounds like they could both use the attention of a ritual healer, and I'd like have as many of our people as possible assembled and ready to depart by the time we hand over control of the island to the Danorans."

    Leif proposes that a ship be dispatched to recover the other constables, and volunteers to go along -- this mission is technically not hers, and she feels her honor as a paladin demands that she see to the well-being of her brother-constables first. Captain Smith agrees to use of the Impossible for the task, since his crew is ship and crew are now of little value in the battle.

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Taral Kasha

    Slipping the cigar into a bandolier pocket quickly, he nods when Leif declares her interest in heading off on a rescue mission. "We may have only worked together for a short time, but I know you're the woman for the job Go rescue them, all-speed."

    Turning back to Captain Smith. "I don't know what your experience with the Fey is, but your assault will do nothing if she is able to teleport away. I believe we have access to several rituals that may allow us to bypass much of the battle. Your men are needed to capture the fortress in time for the handover, but we need to capture the Duchess today. Who knows what havoc she can wreak if she manages to escape."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

    Spoiler
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Tintau

    Tintau sniffs at the cigar and nods before putting it in his bag and forgetting about.
    He shrugs "Yes they probably do need help down there. Make sure you have strong men for the job otherwise they aren't getting in.. alot of rocks. Take care of Nicolas.. I think he is trustworthy. He could have hurt us but didn't."
    Tintau tilts his head slightly , "We do have some scrolls left from our mission, it would be nice to catch the duchess. She seems like she would be a troublesome thread to leave hanging."
    "need to contain her before she can do more harm"

    Tintau adds as an afterthought
    "Thank you for the cigar"

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Aurora looks up from where she'd been licking her wounds- literally and figuratively speaking.

    "My new friend is correct. They will hold your attacks off for just long enough to spiirit the Duchess away. But perhaps your frontal assault might allow a small team to slip by unnoticed and stop her leaving?"

    She stands with a long stretch, almost seeming to purr now that she is healed.

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Falconknight06's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Prosser, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Aeric seems quiet as everyone talks of the fey. He feels as if his heritage is a liability right now, but he says in truth, if she wanted to teleport away, she would have done it already. Not a lot seems able to stop teleportation other than those gold hoops. Also Aeric takes a deep breath before saying shouldn't we try to capture her alive to find out why she is doing this. I have a hard time believing she is doing this for the sake of being evil. Perhaps she truly believes the kingdom is being threatened? If so, maybe she can be convinced of our side and brought back to the side of right. I'm not sure though... he finishes, trailing off a bit, realizing how borderline treasonous these sentiments likely sound.
    Halfling Monk (Avatar by Miss Nobody)
    Carpal tunnel has subsided, so I'm back hopefully

    Spoiler: My games and characters
    Show
    Deralis Legan, the Half-Elf Marshal

    Owlbear Hollow Mercenaries the game I'm running

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    "The walls of the fort and keep are lined with gold -- normally to keep attackers out, but hopefully they'll serve to keep Ethelyn in. We are using ritual magic in our assault, where we can but it's possible you may be ab--"

    Captain Smith is interrupted by the sound of gunfire and screams of panic from the water behind him, some distance from the front lines. It seems to be coming from a ship a few hundred feet from your current location. A few flashes of fire light up the night, then a massive ball of flame engulfs the ship.

    You can faintly make out a humanoid figure striding across the burning deck. He points a flaming sword and sweeps it in an arc towards the sea wall opposite of you. All of the gas lights along it shatter and go dark.

    Then the figure is suddenly surrounded in a cloud of smoke. A couple seconds later, the smoke dissipates, and him along with it.

    "What the... I don't know what that was, but I think it bears investigation. But be careful, whoever or whatever that thing is, it seems powerful."

    Arcana check 12+ (Leif, Saradoc, Taral)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're able to tell the fires are magic, and the magic is fey in origin.


    Arcana check 19+ (Saradoc, Taral)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The lingering flames resembles the fingers of an open hand -- a trademark of Vekeshi magic. You think that spellcaster was probably an eladrin.
    Last edited by Tukka; 2013-03-02 at 09:56 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Taral Kasha

    Quote Originally Posted by Falconknight06 View Post
    Shouldn't we try to capture her alive to find out why she is doing this. I have a hard time believing she is doing this for the sake of being evil. Perhaps she truly believes the kingdom is being threatened? If so, maybe she can be convinced of our side and brought back to the side of right. I'm not sure though...
    Seeing the concern in the Half-Elf's eyes, Taral speaks quickly to him. "Don't be naive, even if that was true, do you really think she'd have a home anymore? Whether she is captured and tried for her crimes or welcomed back, she will spend the rest of her life in jail."

    Quote Originally Posted by Tukka View Post
    "The walls of the fort and keep are lined with gold -- normally to keep attackers out, but hopefully they'll serve to keep Ethelyn in. We are using ritual magic in our assault, where we can but it's possible you may be ab--"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Captain Smith is interrupted by the sound of gunfire and screams of panic from the water behind him, some distance from the front lines. It seems to be coming from a ship a few hundred feet from your current location. A few flashes of fire light up the night, then a massive ball of flame engulfs the ship.

    You can faintly make out a humanoid figure striding across the burning deck. He points a flaming sword and sweeps it in an arc towards the sea wall opposite of you. All of the gas lights along it shatter and go dark.

    Then the figure is suddenly surrounded in a cloud of smoke. A couple seconds later, the smoke dissipates, and him along with it.


    "What the... I don't know what that was, but I think it bears investigation. But be careful, whoever or whatever that thing is, it seems powerful."
    Nodding in rhythm with the rise and fall of the deck beneath him, floating on the light tide. He looks like he is about to respond, when he too sees the the fiery assault at sea. "The gold may work to keep her inside, but it does nothing to stop her warriors from attacking us out here. I have dealt with similar before, Fey warrior-mages. I have dueled with them, they are mighty and tricky, but I have never fought one head on."

    "We need to be cautious, but fast. They can move quite quickly, and we need to catch that Vekeshi as quickly as possible. Perhaps we can even find a hidden way into the stronghold. Captain Smith, you mentioned Ritual Magic, do you have anything that can help us move quickly to catch him?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Tintau
    Well that is disturbing.. The duchess has some powerful friends. why would she be in allegiance with the fey.. but she must. She had an eladrin woman who helped her sabotage the Coaltounge and try to commit regicide.. could be related to the planar shifts.. tears in reality.. dont think I am going crazy yet..
    Tintau trails off realizing he is rambling a bit and regains his composure.
    We still have some passwall scrolls left, maybe we could short cut , just wish I knew where the duchess was. would imagine we can find the fire wielder by the smoke and smell. he isn't very stealthy.

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Aurora growls at the half-elf.

    "After all that that bitch has done- after all that has happened to ourselves and our comrades you would show mercy to her? Personally I will not rest until I feel her throat in my jaws and bathe in the blood of her dying gasps!"

    She finds she has taken a step toward him and stops, closing her eyes and forcing herself to turn away- to not look until she was looking up at the stars. She then sighs.

    "There is no time for guidance, and I am not trained as a Huntress among my people. But where training and skill fail instinct can carry though. Our fiery friend's goal is clear- he aims to rescue the damsel in distress from her tower. We will be hard pressed to catch him, so I suggest we don't. We aim for the prize, and deal with him if we guess our path better than he does."

    She then glances back and smiles at them- especially Aeric. "But then, you don't need a Huntress' skil to know that!

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Falconknight06's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Prosser, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Aeric looks at his feet, clearly wishing he could become invisible. He will then steel himself saying of course, she needs to be taken out. I apologize.
    Halfling Monk (Avatar by Miss Nobody)
    Carpal tunnel has subsided, so I'm back hopefully

    Spoiler: My games and characters
    Show
    Deralis Legan, the Half-Elf Marshal

    Owlbear Hollow Mercenaries the game I'm running

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Seeing Aeric's reaction Aurora's smile fails/ She turns and comes over to him, touhing his arm gently as she shakes her head.

    "No, I am sorry. I understand your reluctance to do this thing, needed or no. As long as you remember that it is needed and do not interfere when the time comes, we will be fine."
    Last edited by mullensmd; 2013-03-07 at 03:24 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    Taral Kasha

    "I'm glad we have this resolved. Now, can we get to the part where we actually catch her?" Growing impatient with the delay, he looks out over the water again, trying to spy any lingering trace of the fey flames.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+5)[18]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

    Spoiler
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: [4E] Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution

    With a gleeful look in his eye, Saradoc turns to the rest.

    We are in agreement. The time for talk has passed. We can question the duchess' body after we are through. Let us take our opportunity and the distraction of the fleet to find her. They will not be expecting us to be able to slip through their walls, literally. We must make haste.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •