New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default I am a horrid, horrid person for writing this... (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

The Paranoid
    Some people are skilled warriors. Others are skilled spellcasters. Some heal, some create things, some perform mighty feats. And then there's the Paranoid. His sole redeeming feature is that he's basically indestructible.

The source of his power is unknown, although many suspect it to be an innate magic activated through paranoia. Whatever it is, it works.

Paranoids don't usually follow gods (they're just big guys in the sky out to get him), and rarely get along with other classes (they're just the little guys down here who want to get him).

Paranoids are always Chaotic, and lean towards neutral on the Good/Evil scale.

Class Skills: An Paranoid's class skills are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Int) (all, taken separately), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex)
    Skillpoints: 6+Int (x4 at 1st level)

Hit Die: D12 (see text)

{table=head]Level|
    BAB
    |Fort|Ref|Will|
    Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Thick Skin, Uncanny Dodge, Durable, Can't Sleep Monsters Will Get Me!

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |BAD TOUCH!, Always Watching

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Resistant Hide (first element), ACK!

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Twitchy

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Evasion, Quick Fix, Don't Touch Me!

6th|
    +6/1
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Mettle, Resistant Hide (second element)

7th|
    +7/2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |He's Out To Get Me!, Spot The Danger

8th|
    +8/3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Healthy By Necessity, See The Sneaky Ones

9th|
    +9/4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Beat It Down With What You Have, Resistant Hide (third element)

10th|
    +10/5
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Kill It Kill It Kill It!, Immune Hide, OH GOD SPIDERS!

11th|
    +11/6/1
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |RUN AWAY!, Last One Standing

12th|
    +12/7/2
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Mages Are Always Watching!, Resistant Hide (fourth element)

13th|
    +13/8/3
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Improved Evasion, SAVE ME!

14th|
    +14/9/4
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |The Mages Still Hate Me!, Never Stop Running

15th|
    +15/10/5
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Improved Mettle, Resistant Hide (fifth element)

16th|
    +16/11/6/1
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Tin Foil Skull, Don't Blink Or Shut Up

17th|
    +17/12/7/2
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |No Slowing Down, Always Myself Alone In My Head

18th|
    +18/13/8/3
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |I Don't Wanna Die!, Resistant Hide (sixth element)

19th|
    +19/14/9/4
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Not Listening LALALALALA!, They're All Around Me

20th|
    +20/15/10/5
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Unstoppable, Get It away! GET IT AWAY![/table]

Class Features: The following are all class features of the Paranoid.

Proficiencies: A Paranoid is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all armors, and all shields (this includes exotic armors and shields). A Paranoid's paranoia gives him a natural insight into weapons to fend off the people who are after him and a keen knowledge of how to block the ones he doesn't see coming.

Can't Sleep Monsters Will Get Me! (Ex): Any time a Paranoid rolls a natural one on any class skill or attack roll, he becomes convinced someone is out to get him right now, and cannot make any other actions until he succeeds on a second check (DC is the same as the original check). In addition, while under the influence of this ability, the Paranoid is confused. Every round the Paranoid fails the check to get out of this ability, he gains a +1 cumulative bonus to the check.

Thick Skin (Ex): The Paranoid knows foes are after him, and his body builds itself up to compensate. At 1st level, he gains +1 to his natural armor. This bonus increases by an additional +1 at every odd level.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): The Paranoid is always waiting, because he knows foes are around every corner. At 1st level, he gains Uncanny Dodge as the Rogue ability.

Durable (Ex): The Paranoid is extremely durable. Treat his Constitution modifier as twice what it actually is to determine bonus HP at each hit die.

BAD TOUCH! (Ex): The Paranoid is always paranoid about attack, and something inside him protects him when it strikes. At 2nd level, the Paranoid gains DR/- equal to his class level.

Always Watching (Ex): As the Paranoid gets stronger, so does his paranoia. Starting at 2nd level, he gains a bonus to Search, Spot and Listen equal to his class level.

In addition, he gains new forms of vision as his paranoia increases. At 5th level, he gains low light vision, letting him see four times as far in low light. At 10th level, he gains darkvision out to 300 feet. At 15th level, he gains tremorsense out to 250 feet. Finally, at 20th level he gains blindsight out to 200 feet.

Resistant Hide: Starting at 3rd level, an Paranoid begins to resist even the elements. Choose one of the following: fire, cold, acid, electricity, or sonic. You gain resistance to that element equal to 10 plus your class level. You may pick another element off this list every third level. At tenth level, add force, positive and negative energy to this list.

ACK! (Ex): The Paranoid is always ready for a surprise attack. At 3rd level, any time a foe hits him with an attack of opportunity, sneak attack, sudden strike, or any similar ability, he may immediately lash out at them, gaining a single attack against the foe who hit him. Additionally, while under the effects of Can't Sleep Monsters Will get Me!, he automatically makes this additional attack against any creature who hits him with any spell, skill or attack.

Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself (Ex): At 4th level, the Paranoid becomes extremely good at shrugging off overwhelming fear (although his fear of everything ever will never go away). He becomes immune to fear effects.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): This functions as the Rogue ability of the same name.

Twitchy (Ex): The Paranoid is extremely twitchy about his defenses. By 4th level, he's shored up his defenses. He gains his natural armor and armor AC to his touch AC. Additionally, he rarely misses a target, even unusual targets. Treat any weapon he wields as having the ghost touch property.

Evasion (Ex): As the Rogue ability. At 12th level, the Paranoid may use this ability in medium armor and with light shields. At 18th level, they may use it in heavy armor and with heavy shields.

Quick Fix (Ex): Whenever the Paranoid is not at maximum HP, he gains fast healing equal to half his class level. At 15th level, this becomes equal to his class level.

Don't Touch Me! (Ex): A Paranoid doesn't like to be touched. At 5th level, he becomes immune to one of the following: tripping, disarming, bullrushing, or overrunning. He gains an additional immunity from this list each 5th level after this, becoming immune to all four at 20th level.

Mettle (Ex): Whenever the Paranoid succeeds at a Fortitude save that only has a partial effect on a successful save, he instead suffers no effects.

He's Out To Get Me! (Ex): A Paranoid just knows people are after him. Starting at 7th level, he may make a single attack as an immediate action once per round.

Spot The Danger (Ex): A Paranoid has learned to spot things that might do him harm. At 7th level, he gains a continuous Arcane Sight effect, that he may activate or deactivate at will as a free action. While under the effects of Can't Sleep Monsters Will get Me!, he cannot deactivate this ability.

Healthy By Necessity (Ex): A Paranoid knows that showing any weakness could be the time his foe strikes. At 8th level, he has willed himself into not having that weakness, and becomes immune to all poisons and diseases, including magical ones.

See The Sneaky Ones (Ex): A Paranoid is well aware that those !@#$ mages make things invisible. But they won't pull one over on him, no sir! At 8th level, the Paranoid gains a continuous True Seeing effect, that he may activate or deactivate at will as a free action. While under the effects of Can't Sleep Monsters Will get Me!, he cannot deactivate this ability.

Beat It Down With What You Have (Ex): A Paranoid knows that a foe can strike at any time, and he has to be ready to beat them back with whatever is at hand. At 9th level, he gains proficiency with all exotic weapons, and never suffers a penalty for using improvised weapons.

Kill It Kill It Kill It! (Ex): A Paranoid doesn't give foes the chance to come after him again. Any foe he reduces to 0 or fewer hit points immediately drops to -10 hit points instead. He may choose not to use this ability; doing so requires a Constitution check with a DC equal to his initial attack roll to hit. While under the effects of Can't Sleep Monsters Will get Me!, he cannot deactivate this ability.

Immune Hide (Ex): A Paranoid's hide continues to get tougher as he levels. At 10th level, his Resistant Hide ability instead grants immunity to the selected elements, instead of resistance.

OH GOD SPIDERS! (Ex): A Paranoid's fear allows him to effect masses of foes. At 10th level, he gains the ability to treat all swarms as a single creature for the purpose of attacking them. In other words, he may attack swarms of Diminutive or Fine creatures with weapons, he does full attack damage to swarms when attacking, he may strike them with critical hits, and he may target them with spells limited to a number of creatures as if they were one creature.

RUN AWAY! (Ex): A Paranoid has mastered the trick of getting away quickly. At 11th level, all his movement speeds double.

Last One Standing (Ex): A Paranoid knows that the trick to staying alive is to always have the most health. At 11th level, he gains max HP for all his hit dice (both current and future).

Mages Are Always Watching! (Ex): A Paranoid knows that the ones that are really after him are those pesky spellcasters. At 12th level, the Paranoid becomes immune to all attempts to scry on him.

Improved Evasion (Ex): As the Rogue ability. Like the Paranoid's Evasion, this version works with medium armor, and heavy armor at level 18.

SAVE ME! (Ex): A Paranoid's keen intellect recognizes that he is his only chance for survival, and he has toughened himself against all outcomes. He gains a bonus to all his saves equal to his Constitution modifier.

The Mages Still Hate Me! (Ex): The Paranoid is still being chased by those pesky mages! Starting at 14th level, he gains spell resistance and power resistance equal to 11 plus his class level.

Never Stop Running (Ex): Nothing can keep the Paranoid from getting away when he chooses to. At 14th level, he gains a continuous Freedom of Movement effect.

Improved Mettle (Ex): As Mettle, except that even on a failed Fortitude save the Paranoid only suffers the partial effect.

Tin Foil Skull (Ex): The Paranoid has learned to block out all the powers a mage can throw at his mind. At 16th level, he becomes immune to all mind effecting abilities and spells, all attempts to read his mind, and all attempts to detect his alignment.

Don't Blink Or Shut Up (Ex): A Paranoid is so convinced that the foe is after him he never stops watching. At 16th level, he no longer has to close his eyes for any reason. He becomes immune to blindness and deafness, and silence effects. Furthermore, the amount of sleep he needs is reduced by 50%, and he is never caught flat-footed while asleep.

No Slowing Down (Ex): At 17th level, a Paranoid is so alert he can see through any attempt to drop him quickly. He becomes immune to ability score damage, penalties to ability scores, and ability drain of any kind. He also becomes immune to level loss or drain.

Always Myself Alone In My Own Head (Ex): A Paranoid is entirely sure of who he is, to the point he cannot be changed against his will. At 17th level, any polymorph or similar effect used against him fails unless he wants it to. Additionally, he knows his own mind and where it ends. Any form of mental intrusion (including friendly intrusion like a telepathy spell) fails against him unless he allows it to effect him.

I Don't Wanna Die! (Ex): At 18th level, a Paranoid's fear of everything he's ever seen (and most things he hasn't) is enough to give him the strength to keep going. He becomes immune to death effects, death from massive damage, and automatically stabilizes from any bleeding wound or when below 0 HP.

Not Listening LALALALALA! (Ex): At 19th level, a Paranoid knows that every offer made to him is a lie, because clearly they're all out to get him. He becomes immune to any use of the Diplomacy skill, the Bluff skill, or any language dependent spell, power or ability used on him (although he himself may still use the skill on others).

They're All Around Me (Ex): A Paranoid is so sure that enemies are all around him that he can actually see into the future to know when they'll strike. Starting at 19th level, he gets a continuous Foresight effect.

Unstoppable (Ex): At 20th level, a Paranoid has realized he'll always be chased by everything that moves (and even many things that don't), and that the universe has cursed him to be the buttmonkey of everyone for all eternity. He ceases to age (although he still accrues bonuses for aging, and penalties already accrued for aging do not go away), and he gains Regeneration 20 which is overcome by Law.

Get It Away! GET IT AWAY! (Ex): At 20th level, the Paranoid always gets away from the scary bad man. Any time a ranged attack or spell is used against the Paranoid, there is a 30% chance the attack or spell is reflected back on the attacker, swatted back at them by the Paranoid. This is calculated before determining if the attack hits or if spells or powers overcome SR or PR. Use the same roll on the rebounded attack as the original attack had.

Pathetic: All Paranoids believe they're pathetic and that everyone is after them to get rid of them. If for any reason they become convinced of their own self-worth (thereby overcoming their paranoia), they lose all their class features, and all Paranoid levels become levels in another class of their choice.
    Last edited by Noctis Vigil; 2013-03-04 at 12:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: I am a horrid, horrid person for writing this... (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

I like it! (Which probably means I'm also a horrible person... ) I don't know how serious you want to get, but here's some thoughts:

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    The Paranoid
    Evasion (Ex): As the Rogue ability. At 12th level, the untouchable may use this ability in medium armor and with light shields. At 18th level, they may use it in heavy armor and with heavy shields.
    Looks like you have an artifact left over from some earlier version in there.

He's Out To Get Me! (Ex): A Paranoid just knows people are after him. Starting at 7th level, he may make a single attack as an immediate action once per round.
    Fluff-wise, this ability doesn't make sense to me.

Beat It Down With What You Have (Ex): A Paranoid knows that a foe can strike at any time, and he has to be ready to beat them back with whatever is at hand. At 9th level, he gains proficiency with all exotic weapons, and never suffers a penalty for using improvised weapons.
    Same with this one. I would get rid of the EWP, give some kind of scaling bonus to pump up improvised weapons, and move this much earlier. At 9th level, you're pretty much set on what weapon (or type of weapon) you're using, making this ability obsolete.

Immune Hide (Ex): A Paranoid's hide continues to get tougher as he levels. At tenth level, his Resistant Hide ability instead grants immunity to the selected elements, instead of resistance.
    This seems too much. At the same level you can start selecting Force/Negative/Positive resistance, you can gain immunity?!? Here are some options:
    1. Move the entire ability later.
    2. Delay immunity for that set of elements.
    3. Pick one element for immunity, and another one every X levels after that.
    4. #2 & #3

SAVE ME! (Ex): A Paranoid's keen intellect recognizes that he is his only chance for survival, and he has toughened himself against all outcomes. He gains a bonus to all his saves equal to his Constitution modifier.
    It's probably best to re-state here that this ability doesn't stack with Durable.

Not Listening LALALALALA! (Ex): At 19th level, a Paranoid knows that every offer made to him is a lie, because clearly they're all out to get him. He becomes immune to any use of the Diplomacy skill used on him (although he himself may still use the skill on others).
    This is pretty terrible for a standalone ability, let alone at 19th level. You could roll this in with immunity to Mind-Effecting stuff. I don't have any ideas right at the moment for another ability to put here, unfortunately.

Pathetic: All Paranoids believe they're pathetic and that everyone is after them to get rid of them. If for any reason they become convinced of their own self-worth, they lose all their class features, and all Paranoid levels become levels in another class of their choice.
    I would put this as a 1st level "ability". Also, "convinced of their own self-worth" isn't the right phrase here. Maybe "convinced of their own safety around anyone"?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I am a horrid, horrid person for writing this... (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

all martial charecters (and a lot of non martial charecters) are going to want a 1 level dip (at least) all good saves, no loss of bab and doubble the effects of their con its to good to pass up.

This class will likely be overpowered compared to anything other then fairly high op casters. and even then at low level he is going to dominate everything.
    Last edited by awa; 2012-12-13 at 10:08 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Aside from being horribly overpowered, it's hysterically funny. I particularly loved this:
    Kill It Kill It Kill It! (Ex): A Paranoid doesn't give foes the chance to come after him again. Any foe he reduces to 0 or fewer hit points immediately drops to -10 hit points instead. He may choose not to use this ability at his discretion.
    Constructs and Undead are destroyed at 0 hit points not -10.

Debby

P.S. You have not lived until you've seen my spectacular hissy fit after I've leaped on the back of the couch whenever I've spotted a bug or spider and screamed those exact words. You nailed it.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #5

Added Can't Sleep Monsters Will Get Me! to level 1.

EDIT: Also added a skill check to not use Kill It Kill It Kill It! and a clause to all his deactivateable abilities stating he cannot turn them off while using Can't Sleep Monsters Will Get Me!

EDIT^2:
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInTheSky View Post
    Fluff-wise, this ability doesn't make sense to me.
    The Paranoid is ready for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by FireInTheSky View Post
    Same with this one.
    Basically, he can attack with anything he has in his hands, no penalty.
    Last edited by Noctis Vigil; 2012-12-13 at 01:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

how does cant sleep work with say a diplomacy check?

If he misses that attack roll is he just randomly attacking the air until he gets the arbitrary number? or is he attacking pepole their ac is just set to the designated amount?

7. - Top - End - #7

Basically, he has to keep trying to do what he was doing until he succeeds. He doesn't have to hit the target, just the initial DC he was trying to hit. So if a foe has AC 15 and the Paranoid rolls a one, then the foe boosts his AC to 10, the Paranoid still only has to get a 15 aimed at that foe.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't the "can't sleep" ability permanently paralyze a Paranoid if he unknowingly tries for a skill check with an unattainable DC? Maybe you'd better say that a natural 20 always counts as a success on the second check, or just make the second check a Will save.

Also, I hope you didn't mean for this to be an actually playable class. It's horribly underpowered for a tier 1-2 game, and horribly overpowered for a tier 3 or lower game.
    Last edited by Yitzi; 2012-12-13 at 06:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I can see that this thing is monstrously hard to kill, but why full BAB? I think he'd spend too much time shoring up his defenses to learn anything more than lashing out at an opponent. Maybe drop his BAB to 2/3?

Also, for the laughs, I compiled the buffs and such he is carrying around at all times at the end of his career:
    Spoiler
    Show

Maxed d12 HP + 2x Con Mod
    +10 Natural AC
    DR 20/-
    All good saves + Con Mod
    Improved Uncanny Dodge
    Improved Evasion (in heavy armor)
    Improved Mettle
    +20 to spot, search and listen
    Regeneration/Fast Healing 20 (Law breaks Regen)
    Permanent Arcane Sight
    Permanent True Seeing
    Proficiency with everything you can hold in your hands
    Double Movement Speed
    Immunity to 6 forms of elemental damage (also including positive, negative & force)
    Immunity to Fear
    Immunity to Mind Effects
    Immunity to Instant Death
    Immunity to Massive Damage
    Immunity to Ability Damage and Drain
    Immunity to Level Drain
    Immunity to Poison and Disease
    Immunity to Detection via Scrying, Mind reading & Alignment Detection
    Immunity to Diplomacy
    Spell resistance 31
    Ageless (keeping existing penalties and accruing new bonuses)

And these are all Extraordinary abilities, so all these apply within Anti-Magic and such too. One hell of a brawler
    Last edited by Kane0; 2012-12-13 at 06:22 PM.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
    Doesn't the "can't sleep" ability permanently paralyze a Paranoid if he unknowingly tries for a skill check with an unattainable DC? Maybe you'd better say that a natural 20 always counts as a success on the second check, or just make the second check a Will save.

Also, I hope you didn't mean for this to be an actually playable class. It's horribly underpowered for a tier 1-2 game, and horribly overpowered for a tier 3 or lower game.
    Already dealt with, my good man. Can't Sleep Monsters Will Get Me! grants a cumulative +1 bonus to each consecutive check to get out of it.

And it is meant to be something of a joke class, yes, although stickler that I am I wanted it at the very least to actually be usable following all the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    I can see that this thing is monstrously hard to kill, but why full BAB? I think he'd spend too much time shoring up his defenses to learn anything more than lashing out at an opponent. Maybe drop his BAB to 2/3?
    Full BAB is a carryover from when this was still a Fighter Fix in my head. I don't see a reason to remove it, though. We'll say his paranoia gives him a bonus to hand-eye coordination when it comes time to make someone stop stalking him.

11. - Top - End - #11

DrowGirl

"He treats EVERY weapon as an improvised weapon, and has no penalties for using improvised weapons".

Is maybe a more elegant way of putting it?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Tallied up all the defensive buffs he gets, spoilered above.

This now tops the most unkillable non-magical class I know, taking over from the Gladiator.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2012-12-13 at 06:25 PM.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #13

Cool, thanks Kane0. Do you see any immunities I missed? I can still fit them in there if you do.
    Last edited by Noctis Vigil; 2012-12-13 at 06:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

That question makes me feel like I'm designing a suit of armor or something in the NWN toolset. 'Now, what immunities & buffs did i miss? How fast can i go through the OC with this?'

-You didnt give him perma-haste, but he has got immediate-action attacks and double move speed so all good there.
    -He can still be disarmed, bullrished, tripped, grappled, etc.
    -He still might not be able to see/percieve due to lack of darkvision, temorsense, blindsight, etc, though he gets the bonuses to spot and true sight.
    -I dont believe he is immune to daze/slow/paralysis. Maybe some freedom of movement is in order?
    - Not immune to silence, blindness or deafness
    - Not immune to being polymorphed.

Though in all fairness his saves and SR will keep him safe form all those except for like 2.5% of the time or whatever.
    It's just the tactical maneuvers that can be pulled on him that he has nothing specifically against.

Disbelieving something out of existence would be a neat ability. The ultimate in denial power.

Maybe some SLAs or invocations too, just to make sure. He could sleep invisible using walk unseen.

This might soon turn into an exercise into what could possibly kill him rather than what wont.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2012-12-13 at 08:08 PM.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #15

Well, the original goal when I first started was to create a class that was essentially immune to everything. The first draft of this class was actually called "The Untouchable".

Oh, I forgot to give him Foresight too.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

well, play this, at lvl 20 forget to be paranoid, beocme truenamer, own everything in shight with gate at will
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

17. - Top - End - #17

OK, managed to add in everything Kane0 said it was missing (except the permahaste, but as he said it doesn't really need it).

What else can we squeeze in here?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    I can see that this thing is monstrously hard to kill
    Touch AC, Grapple, Non-resist damage.
    Shivering Touch, Grappler, Fall damage.

I like this class, and may use it for an NPC.

If I were to make this class for a PC however I would use SAN as the main principle as paranoia is a mental ailment and very few classes make use of SAN to fuel other mechanics, and also seeing as the paranoid is essentially a stress-barbarian.
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2012-12-14 at 03:49 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Should enter into Paranoia Savant easily :-)

This actually seems to work. Impressive. Usually joke classes manage to be funny or playable, but this is both.

Might be a little too strong. Multiclass it 4/1 with Warblade and it can do an awful lot. Still not as much as a full caster, though.

And it should probably be banned in gestalt. I wouldn't want to see this paired with a formerly squishy caster.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    Let me know how it goes if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    Should enter into Paranoia Savant easily :-)
    Love that class. It made me LOL.

This actually seems to work. Impressive. Usually joke classes manage to be funny or playable, but this is both.
    Of course. I never, ever write classes that don't work. Even the "Unfinished" classes in my Extended Homebrew Signature are playable, regardless of how much work they need. If I made it for D&D, I promise it's playable/useable.

Might be a little too strong. Multiclass it 4/1 with Warblade and it can do an awful lot. Still not as much as a full caster, though.
    Possibly. With the right multiclassing or build, this can really break games.

And it should probably be banned in gestalt. I wouldn't want to see this paired with a formerly squishy caster.
    Oh heavens, in gestalt this would be ungodly powerful.
    Last edited by Noctis Vigil; 2012-12-15 at 03:28 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    Touch AC, Grapple, Non-resist damage.
    Shivering Touch, Grappler, Fall damage.

If I were to make this class for a PC however I would use SAN as the main principle as paranoia is a mental ailment and very few classes make use of SAN to fuel other mechanics, and also seeing as the paranoid is essentially a stress-barbarian.
    Shivering touch is SR: Yes, so it has a 55% chance of failure if cast by a caster that is the same level as the paranoid. Also, getting close enough to touch him is a TERRIBLE idea for the caster. Even if you true cast Reach Spell, the damage only lasts for 1 round per caster level. So now you've got a paralyzed paranoid for what? 1 and a half minutes? 2 minutes, if you're level 20? Good luck killing him in that amount of time, since all of his defensive abilities save Improved Evasion are still working. Assuming this is a standard NPC who has done no research on him, first he'd waste a round trying to kill him with a death effect, then waste a round trying flesh to stone (the paranoid would save), then he'll waste a round trying insanity, possibly. Then he'll finally resort to energy damage (assuming he's even prepared any), which will mean he'll have to try each energy he's got to find out which the paranoid is immune to. The best part of the paranoid is that there is no way for the wizard to KNOW the paranoid is immune to everything until after he has done so, unless the DM is metagaming, and that's unfair to the player. Then, by the time the wizard has used up all his best spells on pathetic tactics that have failed half the time due to the paranoid's SR, the paranoid is fully healed of his Dexterity damage and the wizard has no choice but to run away.

Ahem. I like this class. It's interesting, got cool flavor, but it's hilariously unbalanced. Still, since that was the intent of the class, good for you.

Some suggestions:

Not Listening LALALALALA should definitely grant immunity to the Bluff skill as well, from the way I read it. Possibly even immunity to stuff with the (language-dependent) descriptor (assuming there's anything like that that's not mind-affecting).

You should give him the auto-deflect rays ability, like the tarrasque has. Them pesky mages will regret casting spells in his direction when they turn right back around.

The Snatch Arrows feat would also be hilarious. Imagine a paranoid who's so incredibly focused and scared that if someone shoots an arrow he just snatches it out of midair and glares at them. "No! Don't shoot me! BAD ARCHER!"

A bonus to your Touch AC equal to your class level seems appropriate.

"Stat loss" is not game terminology. Not Slowing Down should read "Ability score damage, penalties to ability scores, and ability drain".

Good job!

22. - Top - End - #22

Twitchy and Get It Away! GET IT AWAY! added, Not Listening LALALALALA now grants immunity to Bluff and language-dependent skills/powers/spells, and No Slowing Down wording fixed. I think that covers all your suggestions, NeoSeraphi.

Aaaaand makes it even more horribly broken. Still awesome, though.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Overpowered. And every martial character will want a dip on this one. I would ban it from my games.
    ad maiorem Dei gloriam !

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Needs an ability named "OH GOD SPIDERS".

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Almagesto View Post
    Overpowered. And every martial character will want a dip on this one.
    Even though it comes with becoming confused on a fairly regular basis?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
    Even though it comes with becoming confused on a fairly regular basis?
    YES, even so. Being confused every 5% of the time. That means that 95% of your rolls you are ok and have great defense buffs. Also, that 5% can actually be overcome by a second check that has the original DC. Yeah, I would still take it.
    ad maiorem Dei gloriam !

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Needs an ability named "OH GOD SPIDERS".
    Immune to swarm damage? Avoids the immunity to weapon damage swarms have?
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

28. - Top - End - #28

It's been a bit, but I fixed some typos, and added OH GOD SPIDERS! at level 10. Which basically makes Paranoids the best swarm killers out there.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    It's been a bit, but I fixed some typos, and added OH GOD SPIDERS! at level 10. Which basically makes Paranoids the best swarm killers out there.
    God? But they don't worship any gods.