Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Let's make this showy! (3.P, repost, Sentai Base Class/Archetypes)

Quote Originally Posted by Durazno View Post
    Okay, good, that's one ability fixed. Thematic Rethinking was alright with both of us. I suppose I'll go after Seeking next, since I really love the idea of a True-Seeing visor. Once I've got a nice array, I'll fix up the original post with them and then invite our host back.
    For Seeking: Add Con mod to a bunch of perception/tracking/trapfinding skills to start, if you're dead set on the Track/Trapfinding angle. At least that makes a little more sense from a thematic standpoint. It is supposed to be Ceaseless, after all.

Hm, lowering the BAB requirement hadn't occurred to me. The original class only had the requirement "must have once been a Sentai, but then lost one's powers", which Mage King pointed out wasn't quite enough. One possibility would be making a short list of skills that the player only needs one of to qualify, then a somewhat lower BAB requirement. Something like "Eight ranks in Martial Lore or Spellcraft or Profession: Power Coin Minter" or something like that.
    Entry requirements are one area where there shouldn't be many options at all. Otherwise, the class loses its uniqueness. And generally when options are given, they're more indicative of distinct variant builds for a single concept. An example of this is the Knowledge requirement for Magical Senshi, where the Knowledge used to qualify for the class is the one that counts as a class skill and not the others. That was to cater to the different casters without giving access to other Knowledge skills they wouldn't normally have.

I have to admit, the thought of that happening made me snicker. I would hope that an anti-Sentai DM wouldn't let the player go through enough of a campaign to lose their powers and then regain them through a three-level PrC before finally bringing the hammer down for good. At least you'd have an extra discipline/school?
    Well I actually just came up with a possible fix for the hypothetical situation.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Levees Breach [General] (You may be able to cut off my connection, but you can't take away what's already within me)
    Prerequisites: The Floodgates Open, must have lost powers a second time, must have gained two levels in a non-Sentai class since losing powers.
    Benefit: You regain full access to your Sentai powers, which cannot be lost again. You may gain an additional Forsaken ability. However, you are no longer eligible to gain levels in any Sentai class. Moreover, your effective Sentai level may go no higher than it was when you lost your powers the second time.
    Last edited by zhdarkstar; 2013-07-21 at 01:26 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

So I came up with a possible [Forsaken] ability to give the class some spellcaster appeal. It gives the class 1/3 spell progression and a caster level bonus while morphed to make up for the lost spell progression.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magician of Justice [Forsaken]
    Prerequisites: Magical Adaptation, able to cast 1st-level spells or infusions OR able to create 1st-level extracts
    Benefit: You gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a Forsaken Senshi, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.
    Floodgates: Your caster level increases by 2 while you're in Henshin.

I also have a couple possible new archetypes for Magical Senshi in the works.
    Last edited by zhdarkstar; 2013-08-29 at 10:44 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Um just curious
    how would this class interact with the features of this class

Kyodai AKA ULTRAMAN

I mean hero suite an the giant form

or is that a prc idea?
    Last edited by LunarWolfPrime; 2013-08-31 at 08:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWolfPrime View Post
    Um just curious
    how would this class interact with the features of this class

Kyodai AKA ULTRAMAN

I mean hero suite an the giant form

or is that a prc idea?
    It interacts in the following way.

"Oh dammit, I was working on my update to add a mecha using PrC, and an Archetype to be Ultraman. Guess I'll scrap that plan."

In all honesty, it interacts just as though it were a character of that size taking the Sentai levels. Large versions, ect.

A PrC combining them would be reasonable, though. Probably more benefits for using them both at once.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

This has inspired me. Once I get some sleep, a hybrid PrC will be born.

EDIT: Here's what I was watching when coming up with the PrC.

EDIT 2: Got sidetracked while brewing and changed the capstone of Magical Senshi because I liked Formulaic Spellweave too much to not have a maneuvers version for non-Magicians.

About halfway done with the PrC.
    Last edited by zhdarkstar; 2013-09-01 at 12:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Gigantic Senshi

There are a select few Kyodai who are capable of wielding powerful Sentai equipment catered to their ever-growing needs. These Gigantic Senshi harness the power of Justice to accomplish great feats of combat.

A Gigantic Senshi has the following requirements.

Skills: Disguise 10 ranks, Martial Lore 10 ranks
    Feats: Ultra Senshi
    Special: Quick Transformation class feature, Quickened Henshin class feature

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Maneuvers Known Maneuvers Readied Stances Known
    1st +0 +2 +2 +2 Gigantic Henshin (duration), Sentai Progression 1 0 0
    2nd +1 +3 +3 +3 Sentai Ability 0 0 0
    3rd +2 +3 +3 +3 Gigantic Ability 1 1 0
    4th +3 +4 +4 +4 Gigantic Henshin (defense) 0 0 0
    5th +3 +4 +4 +4 Sentai Ability 1 0 1
    6th +4 +5 +5 +5 Gigantic Ability 0 1 0
    7th +5 +5 +5 +5 Gigantic Henshin (attack) 1 0 0
    8th +6 +6 +6 +6 Sentai Ability 0 0 0
    9th +6 +6 +6 +6 Gigantic Ability 1 1 0
    10th +7 +7 +7 +7 Gigantic Henshin (damage) 0 0 0

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Knowledge (the Planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Perform (Any) (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at each additional level: 4 + Int Modifier

Hit Dice: d10

Class Features:

Gigantic Henshin (Su): At 1st level, you may now transform to Giant Form as part of the same action as entering Henshin. If so, the duration of Henshin uses the Giant Form class feature, but adding your Charisma modifier in addition to your Constitution modifier. At 4th level, you may add half of your Constitution modifier to the deflection bonus granted by Henshin. At 7th level, you may add half of your Constitution modifier to the bonus to attack rolls. At 10th level, you may add half of your Constitution modifier to damage rolls. The total bonuses cannot exceed 3/4 of your Sentai level.

Sentai Progression: You may count half of your levels in Gigantic Senshi (rounded down) as Sentai levels for determining your effective Sentai level.

Maneuvers: At 1st level, and every two levels thereafter, you gain a new maneuver known from any discipline that you had access to from Sentai levels. You must meet all prerequisites as normal. At 3rd level, and every three levels thereafter, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.

Stances: At 5th level, you learn a new stance from any discipline that you had access to from Sentai levels. You must meet all prerequisites as normal.

Sentai Ability: At 2nd level, and every 3 levels thereafter, you gain a Sentai ability you meet the requirements for.

Gigantic Ability: At 3rd level, and every 3 levels thereafter, you gain a Gigantic Ability. You must meet all requirements for the ability, if any, to take it.

Gigantic Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show

Ultra Beams of Justice [Gigantic]
    Requirements:
    Strike of Justice, Ultra Beams, Sentai Weapon (unarmed)
    Benefit: Your Ultra Beams are treated as a Sentai Weapon for the purpose of attack and damage bonuses, including Strike of Justice and Rider Effect.

Ultra Bolt [Gigantic]
    Requirements:
    Bolt of Justice, Ultra Beams, Sentai Weapon (unarmed)
    Benefit: As a full-round action, you may make a single Bolt of Justice attack that deals an additional amount of damage equal to half of your Ultra Beam damage. The range increment of all of your Bolt of Justice attacks increases by 10 feet.

Ultra Sentai Knight [Gigantic]
    Requirements:
    Sentai Knight
    Benefit: You gain Improved Sentai Knight as a bonus suit ability and do not suffer penalties for non-proficiency. Your shield provides you a set of temporary hit points equal to your Sentai level times your Constitution modifier. Half of the damage you receive is first dealt to these temporary hit points and then the rest to your hit points. Once these temporary hit points reach 0, your shield is dismissed for the duration of Henshin.

Ultra Sentai's Steed [Gigantic]
    Requirements:
    Improved Steed taken at least twice
    Benefit: When entering Gigantic Henshin, you may increase your steed's size to the appropriate size for you to ride as a swift action. Your steed receives half of the physical stat bonuses granted by Giant Form, while you only receive 3/4 of the bonuses you would normally receive.

Ultra Sentai Steed Armor [Gigantic]
    Requirements:
    Ultra Sentai's Steed, Improved Steed taken at least three times OR Intelligent Weapon (Steed)
    Benefit: As a full-round action, your steed transforms into a suit of armor that greatly enhances your physical strength at the cost of mobility. The natural armor bonus of your steed stacks with your own. You may add its Strength and Dexterity modifiers as circumstance bonuses to your own respective stats. You have access to any weapons or abilities that it has. While in the Ultra Sentai Steed Armor, you are treated as being in medium armor for purposes of speed and other effects that depend on armor, but suffer no penalties for non-proficiency. You gain a pool of temporary hit points equal to the steed's current hit points. Half of the damage you receive is first dealt to the temporary hit points, and the rest to your hit points. Once these temporary hit points reach 0, your steed is immediately dismissed.
    Special: If you have Ultra Sentai Knight, then damage is split between the shield and armor until one pool runs out. Then split the damage between the remaining temporary hit points and your hit points as normal.

Ultra Finishing Technique [Gigantic]
    Requirements:
    Favored Technique, Finisher
    Benefit: Once per encounter, you may combine your Ultra Beam with your Favored Technique as a full-round action, rolling it as a normal attack and not a touch attack. Include any additional damage from the maneuver when determining whether or not the target is instantly killed/destroyed. If the target is not killed, they receive 3/4 of the damage rolled. If the target is brought below 0 HP by this, it explodes violently the next turn, dealing 2d6 points of fire damage for every five hit dice it had to all creatures within a five foot radius of it, and 1d6 points of fire damage for every five hit dice it had to all creatures within a ten foot radius of it.

Ultra Guardian [Gigantic]
    Requirements:
    Saving Dive
    Benefit: When using Saving Dive, make a Fortitude save (DC equals save DC or damage dealt by redirected ability, whichever if higher) after resolving the redirecting ability. If successful, you may move any distance afterwards, up to the remaining amount of your speed not traveled to reach your ally.

Ultra Torture Technique [Gigantic]
    Requirements:
    Torture Technician, Sentai Weapon (Unarmed), Improved Grapple
    Benefit: You may use the damage dealt as the save DC for Torture Technician if it is higher than the normal DC. You may also apply Torture Technician to Ultra Beams and unarmed strike damage, this includes abilities based on unarmed strike damage like Bolts of Justice and grappling. The bleed damage caused by these alternate sources is considered internal bleeding and cannot be stopped by a Heal check while in combat. Nonmundane means of healing can stop the bleed damage as normal.

Ultra Heart Surge [Gigantic]
    Requirements:
    Forced Surge
    Benefit: You may use Forced Surge on a target within the range of your Ultra Beam. It may also heal the target for 1d6 hit points per three Sentai levels.

More TBD

New Feats
    Spoiler
    Show

Ultra Senshi [General]
    Prerequisites:
    Unarmed Strike class feature, Henshin class feature, Giant Form class feature, Ultra Beam class feature
    Benefit: Your Kyodai levels and Sentai levels stack for determining your Initiator Level, effective Sentai level, and to determine your unarmed strike damage and the effects of the Giant Form and Ultra Beam class features. Furthermore, you may use your Charisma for any kyodai class feature that normally uses Wisdom, and your hero suit does not prevent you from using any kyodai ability that requires you to be unarmored, though the Sentai Knight ability does. You may not add both your Wisdom and Charisma to AC, or your Charisma to AC twice, but you still gain the bonus from Kyodai levels.
    Special: If you have taken the Magician Archetype, you may add your Kyodai level to your Sentai level to determine your Shaper level.
    Special: If you have Superior Unarmed Strike, your unarmed strikes deal damage as a kyodai 4 levels higher.

Extra Gigantic Ability [General]
    Prerequisites:
    Extra Sentai Ability, one [Gigantic] ability
    Benefit: You may gain an additional [Gigantic] ability for which you meet the prerequisites.
    Special: You may take this feat once before character level 20 and once more afterwards, for a total of two times.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show

6/16/14: Updated the table code.
    9/1/13: Created the class. Initial post is missing Gigantic Abilities. Added the first batch of Gigantic Abilities. Still feel like it's incomplete
    Last edited by zhdarkstar; 2014-06-16 at 04:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Revived by request.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

While I updated the table code for Gigantic Senshi and Magical Senshi, I gave Magical Senshi a couple of major updates.

1. BAB progression is cut down to 3/4. I don't even know what I was thinking before. My bad. :P

2. I've added compatibility for two of Master Arminas' conversions: the Warlock and the Warmage. I don't have an archetype idea for the Warmage, but it seemed like it didn't need one and should work fine with just the bonuses to Warmage Edge from the entry feat and Edge of Justice. The Warlock one has both an archetype and Magical Ability tree associated with it. I'm going to update it again in a few hours for compatibility with the Master Magician archetype. The thought of Eldritch Blast + Spellshaping + Spell might need a bit of tweaking in comparison to the Eldritch Maneuvers. Turned Eldritch Maneuvers into Eldritch Spellweave to make it a capstone supplement instead of a replacement to make it easier to work with the capstones for maneuvers and spellshaping.
    (unfortunately the 3.5 versions of Warmage/Warlock may not work as well with the new content)

Let me know what you guys think about the changes made and if you have any suggestions for improving the class. I do have an idea of how to convert this class to a Psionic hybrid instead of casting, but I'm still not 100% comfortable working with the mechanic yet.
    Last edited by zhdarkstar; 2014-06-16 at 08:29 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey loving this idea/class! Just a quick question about the Archetypes however. Is it possible to combine Archetypes? I was looking over Loner and Psycho and I was thinking about how great those two together would be.
    I have an overactive imagination and I'm not afraid to use it.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I love this class, I joined the forums because of it.

I wonder... How would one go about adapting this for 5e? Asking for a friend...