New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Only War - Imperium's Hammer (IC)

"Welcome to the Stygian 12th Trooper, home to the loyal sons and daughters of the Imperium who have dedicated their lives to ridding it of its most hated foes. For the Glory of the Emperor"

You are one of two platoons detached from your company and regiment to reinforce the world of Skrynne. It was a world with little other then its dense forests before vast fields of Promethium were discovered beneath the planet's surface. It was shortly after this time that the Orks arrived, following Warboss Tufgob to loot this newly rich planet to help him make a mighty WAAAGH! on neighboring systems.

The only regiment currently on the ground are the 4th Brontian Longknives. They have spent the last 7 years fighting a stalemate with the Orks, and it is your platoons duty to help tip the balance of power in the sector and help drive off the Xenos threat. You are to link up with the regiment at Supply Depot Gamma 39 on the worlds southern continent.

As our scene opens you are strapped into crash seats on your platoon's landing shuttle. You are seated in one long row along one wall of the shuttle, on the bottom of two decks close to the shuttle's primary hatch. Another squad sits opposite in an identical row of Crash seats, and several other squads sit further back into the shuttle. Your only illumination are the red interior lights, with no external view-ports to show the state of your descent.

Your kit is in your carriers above your seat, with any heavy equipment disassembled and stowed beneath your seats.

The platoons trio of Commissars pass by infrequently, braving the choppy motion of your descent and using handholds hanging from the ceiling to keep an eye on the state of the platoon. They also remind you this 'quiet time' is for contemplation an prayer to the Emperor, although it is hard to hear them over the scream of the descent engines and the whine of the wind around the shuttles exterior.

What does your character do during this drop, and do they speak to anyone?
    Are you a 40k fan but a bit fuzzy on the background lore?
    Then visit my YouTube channel Vaults of Terra for the a weekly lowdown on everything 40k,
    from Space Marine armour to warp travel. New topics posted weekly.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Only War - Imperium's Hammer (IC)

A woman is seen siting next to a Stormtrooper. She appears to have an optimistic smile on her face. Under her chair is a disassembled Heavy Bolter. She barley heard the commissars and then she started praying.
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account
    Fairy Tail OC avatar by: your truly

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Petrovitch methodically checks his gear one last time, then straps himself back in. "Two platoons to reinforce one regiment in holding an entire planet against a Waaagh? This will either be the highlight of my career or my grave..."
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2013-08-17 at 06:19 PM.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

If this plant has fields of promethium under it why cant we flush the orcs out by setting them on fire...

No they would never do that, because if it has as much promethium as the mission brief imply then it probably provides most of the fuel for the imperial plant in this sub-sector. They'd never want to starve the machine.

Marvin decided not to voice his thought because he had enough with the engines roaring at him, he didn't need the Commissars doing the same because interrupted pray time.
    Last edited by smoke prism; 2013-08-13 at 04:25 PM.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    — Friedrich Nietzsche

View my newest homebrew (feedback is greatly appreciate):
    The Vile speaker-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-PEACH-welcome

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Tristan spends the drop reviewing what the Primer has to say about Orks, though he has to read most words twice - and in between he has to keep telling himself that the shuttle won't break apart, that it will hold together and carry him safely to the ground. Firm, stable ground, hopefully.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sitting next to an overeager private intently studying the Uplifting Primer sits squad one's sergeant...fast asleep. His head rolls with the shaking of the shuttle; he has his helmet repositioned to keep even the meager red light out of his eyes. An open copy of the Primer sits in his lap, just in case a commissar decides to get uppity.
    Last edited by scsimodem; 2013-08-13 at 07:08 PM.
    My dad always said, "Son, nobody ever won anything by getting even. You have to get ahead."

7. - Top - End - #7

Wearing a bored expression, Notch munches on a ration bar as the shuttle approaches the ground.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

As the shuttle gets closer to the ground the turbulence picks up and there are a lot of judders from the engines. You can hear a voice over the ships speakers, just too quiet to distinguish clearly over the noise of the ships engines and the static on the line.

Spoiler
    Show
    You can roll an awareness test to see if you hear what is said, otherwise we can continue on.
    Then visit my YouTube channel Vaults of Terra for the a weekly lowdown on everything 40k,

9. - Top - End - #9

Marvin titles his head and trys to focus on the sound coming though the speakers, over the sound of the engines and the static.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[2] . Base:20 (this accounts for the -20 for not being trained in awareness).
    Last edited by smoke prism; 2013-08-14 at 05:03 PM.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    — Friedrich Nietzsche

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman perks up to hear through the static
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[49] Per 31
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account

11. - Top - End - #11

Notch presses the speaker near his ear and cups his hand around it.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d100)[9] Perception of 31, trained in awareness.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

In case it needed to be said, Gaius is still asleep and will be unable to roll to hear the announcement.
    My dad always said, "Son, nobody ever won anything by getting even. You have to get ahead."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Both Notch and Marvin hear the shuttle pilot over the intervox saying that the landing zone is going to be hot. Orks are attacking the deports space dock and the squads should be prepared for combat the moment you touch down. Landing should take place in approximately 10 minuets.

Spoiler
    Show
    How do your characters react to this information?

14. - Top - End - #14

Hearing the pilots message a cold chill ran though Marvin " Damm, this is not good" Marvin exclaimed to no one in particular.
    Uniforming his belt Marvin sprang up and ran to Sargent Blare, when he gets there Marvin roughly shacks him " Sir, the landing area is undear assault from orks. The pilot say we should be prepared for landing in ten minutes". Marvin yelled.
    Mavin then ran back and forth to inform the Sargent of the second regiment and the three Commissars , repeating the same massage had give Sargent Blare.
    Sometimes during this Marvin picked up his M36 lasgun and all six of it's charge packs.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't know if I need to make a balance check to stay on my feet because of the turbulence.
    Last edited by smoke prism; 2013-08-15 at 07:40 PM.

— Friedrich Nietzsche

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming this wakes me up. If not, I'll erase this post.

"****" Blare says nonchalantly. "Well, nobody said this would be easy." Blare begins gathering his stuff. Fortunately, this isn't his first rodeo, and he's arranged everything to be gathered and secured in just a few moments. As he slings the strap to his lasgun over his shoulder, he begins barking out orders.

"Petrovich, you're out first. I'll be right behind you. Kat, lay down some covering fire. I want bolts in the air the second we see daylight. If you're within 3 seats of the door, get ready to lay down suppressing fire. Everybody else follow me. As soon as you clear the ramp, take cover and lay down some cover fire so the rest of your comrades can get off. Kat, you get off last."

With that, he hoists his chainsword and thumbs the buckle on his harness, ready to spring off the second the ramp is down. "And O'Malley, see if you can't figure out which one's in charge and take its head off."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm preparing to issue the Covering Fire sweeping order. In case it becomes relevant before I take another turn, that's a free action that grants everybody in cohesion with their comrade a +10 bonus to dodge and takes a half action from the comrade. It requires a +10 command roll (below). Rules for suppressing fire as a player action can be found on page 248.
    Last edited by scsimodem; 2013-08-15 at 08:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Command Roll, target number 53: (1d100)[94]

17. - Top - End - #17

Oscar in the LZ, Notch thought. Frakking beautiful. Notch listened for a brief moment to their Sgts orders before thumbing his combead down. "To much static to make out what the warp Sergeant Waterboy's trying to do with assignnments. Echo," he addressed his spotter sitting in the seat next to him in the row two forward from the back while drawing his autopistol with his right hand, "We'll suppress whatever's out there while everyone and piles out."

Echo sighed and pulled up his helmet from his eyes, drawing his own pistol. "Once more into the breach, by way of a falling magical flying brick."
    Last edited by garter_snake; 2013-08-15 at 10:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    No tests need to be taken to walk around, but if you have a heavy piece of equipment or weapon then you need to take a WS test at -20.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Kat picks up her gear and reasembles her Heavy bolter "The Greenskins will be redskins by the time we're through with them." she says.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling with a -20 to WS or the roll? (1d100)[26]
    Last edited by MichaelGoldclaw; 2013-08-16 at 03:49 PM.
    Deviant Art account

20. - Top - End - #20

"Ill do my best sir " After saying this Marvin started to collect the rest of his equipment, as he is doing this he repeats the routine in his head: Sniper rife slung across the back by a strap, Autopistol in the left leg holster, mono-knife in its holster on his left arm and thenfinale grenades, Uplifting Primer and Stim Dose all attached to the belt and load everything else into a backpack and sling that on to my left shoulder.
    After doing this doing this Marvin looked to see what Sarvus was doing and he was glade to see that he had enough sense to start getting his equipment together " Sarvus when you're done hear, fall behind me and Sargent Blare .

"Ha, Marvin why are you getting so worked up over a few Orks ?" Sarvus said in a casual tone as he fell in step behind Marvin.
    Last edited by smoke prism; 2013-08-16 at 04:36 PM.

— Friedrich Nietzsche

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelGoldclaw View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling with a -20 to WS or the roll? [roll0]
    -20 to WS.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Konstantin moves to the exit ramp, armored up and lasgun dangling from one hand. In his other, a grenade. "Anyone else with grenades, make sure they're ready. Nothing clears an LZ like a few of the Emperor's fireworks! For those of you that have not fought orkz before, remember this - your head comes off easier than you think, so do not. get. close!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

As the squad fishes out their gear and assembles their kit the engines change in pitch in preparation for landing. The pressure on you increases as the gravity plating struggles to compensate for the thrust.

Then without warning the drop ship lands with a violent lurch.

GM Instruction:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All those who are no longer strapped in need to take an athletics test with -10 to the target score. Anyone who had to assemble their weapon also counts as being unstrapped.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Petrovitch, no stranger to hot drops, sways slightly but is otherwise unaffected by the lurching landing.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[9]

Trained in Athletics
    36 Agility
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2013-08-17 at 09:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Notch held onto his chair with one hand while the crash webbing buffered the worst of the turbulence.

Spoiler
    Show

Still strapped in.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[67] Vs 31 agility (trained in athletics)
    Deviant Art account

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

As soon as the floor has stopped moving, Tristan unbuckles himself, slings his lasgun over his shoulder, and grabs a frag grenade, ready to apply some converse healing to the enemy.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Kat is thrown from her feet along with several other members of other squads, including one of the platoon's commissars. It knocks the wind from her, but her armour absorbs the impact.

The ship settles and the red lights of the interior turns from red to white and a green light starts blinking on the hatches. "Straps off, arm up and prep for combat!" Yells the lieutenant loud enough to be heard over the dying engines. Everyone not already on their feet stands or rises from the floor.

Your squad is closest to the hatch on you side (port) of the shuttle, up and ready as the hatch opens quickly with a clang,the ramp extending the 3 meters to the ground, revealing a scene of chaos.

You are at the edge of plasticrete landing strip not far from the depot, the surrounding jungle not far away. There is a long impact furrow showing where your drop ship came down.

What looks like a band of Orks are engaging with the guard regiment already stationed here, with a lot of firepower being exchanged between the two. Some ruined buildings are 70 meters away almost between the drop ship and the Orks.

GM Suggestion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone with the appropriate skill can take a Scholastic lore (Tactica Imperialis) test to assess the situation.

Looking out of the hatch and along the shuttle you can see why the landing was so hard. The shuttle is badly damaged and the cockpit looks badly compressed, although not quite flattened.

"Forward!" Yells the lieutenant behind you.

GM Instruction:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone please roll an awareness check. Also please post the order of exit from the shuttle.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Petrovitch, peering through the smoke and dust, attempts to assess the situation before the squad unloads.

Spoiler
    Show

Scholastic Lore - Tactica Imperialis: (1d100)[70] TN 26 before mods
    Awareness: (1d100)[24] TN 30 before mods

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sgt. Blare also takes a look around. I never was very good at this. Hope the lieutenant knows what he's doing. "Support our comrades as you advance, but don't let the orks get close.

Spoiler
    Show
    These skills are not my strong suit:

Awareness (untrained), base of...8: (1d100)[12]
    Tactica (trained), base of 26: (1d100)[100]

Assuming Petrovich goes first (I sent him out first due to his better armor), I will be exiting the craft second, followed immediately by my comrade.