A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Eberron - Chimes at Midnight (OOC)

A place to keep track of a few things and rattle on about all kinds of OOC crap!

Character Creation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pathfinder 20 point-buy for Ability Scores.

Max HP at Level 1, roll for subsequent levels, re-rolling less than half.

Maximum gold for your class, Level 3.

PF Core classes are preferred. No gunslingers.

Races not in the PF Core Rule Book (CRB) or Eberron Campaign Setting (CS) are case by case, depending on what it takes to make them fair-to-play. My preference is that Eberron races remain as listed in the CS. The Pathfinder Advanced Race Guide will be the final say on any racial modifications.

Hero Points will be used in lieu of Action Points. Each character will begin the adventure with 3, modified by any applicable feats or bonuses. There will be plenty of opportunities to gain more.

Each character will be allowed two Traits though you may not select more than one from each list (social, combat, religion, etc.). Spin it to fit the setting.

Dragonmarks will be allowed with obvious skill conversions.

Don't forget your Favored Class Bonuses! (+1 HP or +1 Skill rank for every level you attain in your favored class.)

House Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll often grant a +2 or +4 bonus to rolls for well-written role playing. I may also grant additional Hero Points.

As far as weapon focus and specialization goes, you may specialize in a type of weapon rather than a specific weapon. This is largely dependent upon your class and abilities. This specialization may be as broad as all swords or all axes for fighters... or as narrow as two-handed weapons, thrown weapons, polearms, or small blades for other non-martial classes. I'm open minded about it, so ask if you have any questions. Exotic weapon proficiencies stand, but I will make cultural exceptions.

If an item has no mechanic attached to it and costs less than 1 gp (i.e. paper, wax, perfumes or cologne, a scarf, whetstone, etc), you do not have to list it on your character sheet. They are only for flavor, so I'm not concerned with keeping track with them. Just keep it believable!

Other stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

(Some of this might be common knowledge, but it is included for newcomers to PbP and bears repeating.)

When posting, please note in-character text with either bold script or whatever color you wish (except red).

If you include die rolls, tables, or other game mechanic-y type information in your game post, please hide them behind a spoiler button. If you use the dice thread, link to your roll within your post.

Please post your character sheet (Mythweavers seems to be the popular choice) in this thread once it is completed. I will add it to this post for ease of reference.

If you'd like some help spinning things for Eberron, ask! I'll be more than happy to help with some ideas.

Have fun and don't be a jerk!

Other handy links:

IC Thread.
    Dice Thread.

Guide to PbP
    Forum Dice Roller

Character Sheets:

Kra-Jak
    Aluatra Dawnsblood
    Hallina Dell
    Eoli
    Last edited by Nimrod; 2013-01-04 at 10:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

MindFlayer

Default Re: Eberron - Chimes at Midnight (OOC)

Okay! rypt, Gorgon_Heap, Don_Discovery, and Starbin will be joining us for a go at this adventure.

That means that the party so far consists of an elven inquisitor/magus, a human melee-type, a shifter cleric, and a shifter ranger/monk. My two friends have claimed an inquisitor and a rogue, but the holidays have kept them from popping in and feeding me the rest of the details. Hopefully we can get them locked in soon.

In the meantime, you guys can finalize your character sheets and make your introductions!

And as always, if you have any questions, just ask. Looking forward to gaming with all of you!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Introducing Kra-jak Seeker of the Path of the Serpent.

Description:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tall (for a shifter), lean, and well-muscled, Kra-jak strikes an imposing figure. He wears an open leather vest, loose pants, and a short robe that speaks of function over form. He carries a near-empty pack that holds almost all his worldly possessions, and walks with a well-crafted longspear as a staff. His black hair is shaved on the sides, and pulled back into a short tail. His blue eyes give the look of a wolfish predator, but his demeanor speaks of one detached from the world around him. His voice is like gravel, but unusually quiet for someone of his size. His motions seem restrained and precise - as if every step is measured, with no energy wasted. In battle, this changes,as his movements become a fluid dance of violence - a dance that seems to be on the verge of bursting into chaos.

And occasionally, when the beast rises, it does.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kra-jak is a quiet man. He speaks with a lack of feeling that is disturbing. He seems to measure everything - his actions, his words, perhaps even his thoughts. He rarely will display emotion of his own volition. It seems that the more he is tested, the more detached he becomes. While he seems to be a strange man who prefers the quiet of a solitary life versus living with others, he almost forces himself into situations that require close contact. And although his interaction is usually distant, there is a bond between he and his comrades that tells of a man willing to do anything to help his friends, no matter the price.

Background:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kra-jak's breath came out in small clouds of steam as he huffed from exertion. Around him, the circle of observers broke into a cacophony of roars and shouts that turned into a long,drawn out howl ... rage and triumph, mourning and gloating indistinguishable from one another. The moment dragged for an eternity as Kra-jak stood crouched on his haunches, muscles still clenched from the battle moments before.

The scene became surreal, however, as the howl faded into silence, replaced by the twittering of birds and small woodland animals. A calm settled over the impromptu arena, as Kra-jak stared at his foe. The flow of blood from a torn throat had subsided, darkening even as he watched. The body appeared to be cooling in the evening chill, with the slightest of stiffeningannouncing the onset of final death. And for one long, delicious moment, Kra-jak felt a single tear roll down his cheek, the salt mingling with the metallic taste of death in his mouth. As this moment of quiet enveloped him, Kra-jak felt his body return to normal.

Then, came the sudden realization that this was all an illusion - such peace was impossible within the Demon Wastes. The howl shattered the silence and he felt arms slapping his shoulders and back in congratulations from his few supporters and growing arse-kissers. No matter that his actions had taken one of his own from the tribe - all that mattered was he was now heir apparent in both name and action, with a life of violence and destruction waiting for him to grasp it. Such was the price of being a chieftain's get in one Carrion Tribes. Such was the way of the servants of the Moon Reavers.

Since his earliest memory, the ways of his people had been foreign. A motley crew of shifters, were-ragers, the Red Fangs had long served the night hags as killers and assassins who reveled in the loss of control and the release of violence upon their foes. His life had been savage and hard, constantly under scrutiny as the chieftain's eldest. But Kra-jak always felt at odds with his shape-changing brethren, frightened and disturbed at the loss of control. This emotional rift was compounded by his failure in showy displays of strength and power, and ultimately led to a perception that he was weak, and thus ill-suited to take his father's mantle as was appropriate for the eldest.

While there was little love between the young of the pack, there was a bond that tied them together. Over time, this bond would wax and wane, as each pup grew to adulthood and sought his or her place in the tribe. Between Kra-jak and his brother Dro-chek, those bonds of brotherhood disappeared over the years, turning from fierce loyalty, to marked indifference and finally into outright disdain.

In a culture that valued power over finesse, strength over speed, Kra-jak's ability was often questioned, albeit out of earshot. However, over time, even the youth of his pack began to question his 'right' to rule. Kra-jak was not blind to his people's lack of trust, but perhaps he was too naive in assuming he would prove worthy of their loyalty one day. That day came when his brother Dro-chek embarrassed him in public. After a successful foray against the Plaguebearers, Dro-chek was still high on bloodlust, bragging about his prowess over even that of his 'unworthy brother.' Dro-chek's presumption went to far when during the post-battle orgy, he began to take pleasure in a female Kra-jak had claimed, grunting promises of ruling the tribe at his side as the true successor to his father's clan. In the silence that followed his brazen actions, Dro-chek turned to find Kra-jak standing behind him, quivering in a barely contained rage. Undaunted, Dro-chek laughed, snidely telling his brother to nose about some weaker male's arse else he get hurt. With a roar, Kra-jak was on his brother. In a release that none had seen before, the older brother ripped out Dro-chek's throat before the young sibling could move and before anyone else could react.

The tribe applauded his actions as his right, privilege, and duty; even his father toasted the kill with a smile ... a smile!. Kra-jak was simply sickened. Here, his nightmares of losing control were realized and his brother, ass that he was, was dead because of it. How long before he killed his woman, or friend? How long before he might be standing over his own children, throttle by his very hands? Unable to live amidst such evil lawlessness, he left without a word, abandoning, nay FLEEING his home, his family and his life.

But the Demon Wastes do not give up there own so easily. He was left with the Urge, but lost the curse of full lycanthropy that came with it. Instead, he was left with the touch of the wildhunt, a trait that actually added him more than razor claws and long tusks ever would. It took many months to fight his way clear of the Carrion Tribes and cross the Icehorns, but with his gift he managed to stumble free from the wilderness into the community of Wolf's Paw. In the border town, he found shelter and aid from his own kind, which was a kindness he had never been privy to before.

For all the kindess of the shifters there, however, he would have kept running - running from his life, his crimes, himself ... but something else kept him. An old human, who lived on the outskirts of town in a small cabin, who had taken a liking to the outcast. A former solider, the human offered a confused Kra-jak an alternative path to the wild abandon and pent up rage that had plagued the shifter since his escape. He showed him a path of discipline and order, were he could control his emotions, and not be controlled by them; where his abilities could be used by conscious thought, rather than emotional adrenaline rushes. He introduced him to the teachings of a brotherhood, long since gone from these lands, but who's lessons could be found by those with the will, courage and patience to search.

It started with taking the first step on the path of the Snake, learning the way of the foot, fist and spear ... and the mind and body. For eight seasons, the man who called himself Raben taught Kra-jak what he knew, taking care of the shifter as a father would a son. But in their second winter, the old man passed, leaving Kra-jak to search for clues about the mysterious Brotherhood of the Serpent. After laying his mentor to rest, Kra-jak gathered his few items, headed for the only clue he had - a single piece of paper with the word Sharn on it.

I tend to use colors for "Speaking" "Whispering" Thinking

A couple of questions about feats - a) Can you modify any of the shifter feats for use in Pathfinder, and b) is there a feat I can take to treat a different weapon as a monk weapon (like Serpent Strike)?

Thanks, and I look forward to the game!
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Howdy.

I've got a wicked cold and I'm at work, but my PC is about halfway done. I'll try to get it posted tonight or tomorrow.

Excited to get into some Eberron.

5. - Top - End - #5

MindFlayer

A couple of questions about feats - a) Can you modify any of the shifter feats for use in Pathfinder, and b) is there a feat I can take to treat a different weapon as a monk weapon (like Serpent Strike)?
    Which ones do you have in mind? I looked at the shifter feats listed in Races of Eberron and nothing really jumped out at me that needed modification.

As far as weapons, I will typically allow players to apply their weapon focus feats to similar weapons (i.e. swords rather than longswords) so I would allow you to use the Serpent Strike ability with other hafted piercing weapons and apply your focus bonuses to each. Exotic weapons would be an exception.

There is an alternative feat in Secrets of Sarlona called the Pole Master, which allows multiple hafted reach weapons (glaive, longspear, ranseur, and the Talenta sharrash) to be used as monk weapons. I would allow you to use any of those without taking individual focus feats for each.

Not sure if that answers your question...

Excited to get into some Eberron.
    Me, too! This adventure looks really awesome. I've already begun working on an introductory post to set the stage and introduce everyone.

As I mentioned, I planned on using the Digger's Union as a reason for everyone to be working together. They're an adventurers guild (of sorts) affiliated with Morgrave University. They don't pay much and don't treat their members as well as some other organizations, but something is better than nothing. Even if your only jobs so far have been delivering packages and making runs for the curators, it puts food on the table.

Hence, why you guys might be interested in taking on other jobs...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

How are you gentlemen !! A pleasure to meet you, I am the Don Discovery, you may call me Don. I'll be playing the wonderful Aluatra Dawnsblood. From now until we start I'll be tweaking her personality until I can properly convey her Voice all the time.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello everybody!

Here is my work-in-progress sheet for Eoli. Still need to pick a second trait and finish up his more mundane equipment purchases.

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

Excellent! I'll drop a bug in the ears of the last two and see if they've been swallowed up by the holidays.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

So are we actually going to have an Eberron party without either a 'forged or a Dragonmarked?

Or are these two mystery players going to fill us in? Because that would be kind of a first.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Yeah, that is kind of strange... but I don't believe I've ever had a shifter character in any of my games, let alone two.

I don't even know if they're still on board. I did talk to another friend that I've PbP'ed with for years and he might be interested in joining. Regardless, I'm looking to get this thing moving soon!

11. - Top - End - #11

MindFlayer

And we're up! The IC thread can be found here. I'll include links to our threads in my signature for ease of use, as well.

I'll be looking over your sheets one last time to make sure that everything is in order tonight. In the meantime, post as you can. I don't expect a lot to be done over the next few days with New Year's Day and all, so no hurry. I just wanted to set the stage and get things ready.

I'll also try to confirm with the final few players whether they will be joining us or not.

Happy New Year, all! Looking forward to the game!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

I need to fix one feat and check on the prereqs for the one you mentioned dealing with reach weapons-hard to do on a cell

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Yay! Happy New Year.

And yeah, I wasn't seeing what you mean in noting the +1 sp or HP/level for favored class ... Do humans count all classes for that or no classes or what-the-hey?

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

Characters can pick one class for their favored class, regardless of race. It's your choice!

And I added a House Rules tab to the first post here. I'll modify it and add to it as we go. I typically don't have a lot of house rules, though. I like to keep things simple.

As far as buying equipment and such, I suppose I should have mentioned this but it's been a few months since I've started a game! I'm not a stickler for things like paper, wax, perfume, tobacco, or any item of clothing that doesn't have a mechanic attached to it and costs less than 1 gp. I don't expect you to list stuff like that on your character sheet. I don't want a barbarian pulling out paper and inks to write his memoirs or anything like that, nor should a wizard have a whetstone to sharpen up an axe blade, though. If your barbarian has actively been trying to educate himself, or if your wizard has been taking up a career in creating magical weapons, it might be okay... just keep it believable.
    Eberron: Chimes at Midnight
    IC, OOC, Dice

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Before I post, am I to take it the PCs already know each other and are working together? Is that what's going on here? We're already on a job?

16. - Top - End - #16

MindFlayer

Yep, you know each other if only by name and reputation. I leave it up to you as to how long you've been with the Digger's Union and all of that, but it isn't important to this particular adventure. It's just a hook to get you all in the same place and on the same team.
    IC, OOC, Dice

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I've updated Eoli's equipment, mostly with additional weapons and ammunition options. There's more I would like to have purchased, but with armor taking up ~2/3rds of his encumbrance limit, my options are pretty restricted.

I also decided to go with the Without a Past trait, picking Linguistics as Eoli's class skill. Document forgery certainly fits with his background, although it feels like a bit of a gamble mechanically speaking. I figure if there were ever a setting where a trait like this could pay off though, Eberron would be the one.

I should have an IC post up sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening.

And I hope everybody had a Happy New Year!

EDIT: Roughly how far ahead of us is the masked figure?
    Last edited by rypt; 2013-01-02 at 03:23 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

I'll say 30 feet. For every skill check you pass (as he attempts to slow you down) you'll gain 10' on him. If everyone fails, he'll gain ground.
    IC, OOC, Dice

19. - Top - End - #19

MindFlayer

Awesome post, GH!
    IC, OOC, Dice

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

I would like to write a nice post, but it sucks to type from a cell. I'm still around and will be chasing along with the others. Happy New Year!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

So ... c'mon folks. Join the fun.

Nimrod, are we going to expect additional players if your pals are MIA?

22. - Top - End - #22

MindFlayer

Unless one of you have a personal recommendation for someone, I'll probably just run this with you four. If they don't magically appear, that is. I'm optimistic that no one will drop out.

if there's a hole in the team dynamic, you can get a hireling... but the group looks fairly capable to me. I'll leave it up to you guys.
    IC, OOC, Dice

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Assuming we don't run into any problems in terms of party capabilities, I would personally prefer to stick with four. I've found that play-by-post campaigns tend to run smoother with fewer players.

24. - Top - End - #24

MindFlayer

I'll give the others until the weekend to respond before I push on. I know we're coming off the holidays so it might take a few days to get caught back up on work and life.

I'm all for a casual pace, but I don't want things to drag.
    IC, OOC, Dice

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Forgot HPs - (2d8)[8][3](11)

26. - Top - End - #26

MindFlayer

Busy weekend! I'll get a post up and answer questions in the morning.
    IC, OOC, Dice

27. - Top - End - #27

MindFlayer

Busy day yesterday, too! The wife and I are in the process of buying a house, so we were out all evening throwing our money at furniture to fill it up, hehe...

But a post is now up! I haven't heard anything else from the other two so you four are it, but I think we'll do just fine. I'll discretely roll for perception checks vs the traps just to be fair, since you don't have a rogue.

I hope to get in at least two updates this week, so I won't wait as long as I did last week... which was mostly due to the holidays. Great first round of posts, though! You guys are PbP champs.
    IC, OOC, Dice

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The dice gods are angry today...

How would Eoli's Quick Runner's Shirt work in this situation? Can he use it to regain some ground?

EDIT: Just to be clear, Eoli failed both climb checks, so he would be on his butt in the alley.
    Last edited by rypt; 2013-01-09 at 05:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Any chance I could cast Forbid Action on the murderer and forbid him from moving?

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

@rypt - Yep, another move action would give you another attempt at climbing the spout, though this time without the attack against you.

@Don - Yep!

Also, remember that Hero Points can be used to mitigate bad rolls (among other things)! Declaring the use of one before a d20 roll guarantees a +8 bonus while after the role grants a +4 bonus. This is just an introduction encounter, so I don't mind reminding... but during important encounters, I'll bite my tongue.

They're a bit more powerful than Action Points and can really pull you out of a tight spot if you need them.
    IC, OOC, Dice