A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kithen: IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Kithen: IC

You awaken to find yourselves in the dark, starring up at the night sky far above your heads. Something isn't quite right about them, but you can't put your finger on it.

Taking a quick look around you, you can see that you are in a crater along with five other people. This crater is about fifty feet deep and eighty feet across, the surface of the rock is slick and glassy, as if it had been heated to the point of melting before cooling into glass. The rim of the crater blocks your view from most of the world around you.

You have no memory of how you came to be lying in this crater, nor are you sure where you are right now, but something feels distinctly wrong about the air around you. An unnatural chill permeates the area.

Doc_Pippin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously, if you're not Doc_ Pippin don't read any further.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vishra feels a strengthening warmth in the air around him rather than an unnatural chill.

As you finally begin to gather your bearings, a voice calls out you from the northern lip of the crater. "You alright down there?" The voice belongs to a middle aged man, clean shaven and with a concerned yet hardened face. "If you are then you should get out of there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's going to come and investigate. We should get moving."
    Last edited by hpboy111; 2012-12-24 at 07:39 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Kithen: IC

As Vishra's vision transitions suddenly from his throne room to the sky and crater he let's out a fine mist of sand, a defensive reaction hardwired into him to keep all possible threats at bay. His unblinking milky eyes shifting around for the source of the unusual attack, he catches a glimpse of a familiar face, his most recent apprentice. "Godrick," he says impatiently waiting for an explaination as he simply assumed it was a result of his obscure time meddling.
    Last edited by Doc_Pippin; 2012-12-24 at 08:16 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Earon feels about the crater, taking in what is going on around him.
    He touches the stone, noticing the the look and feel of it.
    If I... well, if we, by the looks of it, were here when this was created, we shouldn't be alive right now. he thinks to himself.

As the voice calls down to him, he checks to make sure all of his equipment is in place as he stands.
    "Is everyone else alright?"
    See no objections, he starts to walk towards the voice.
    "Who are you and where are we?" he says as he starts to climb out of the crater. Sweeping his arm out towards the crater, he continues "And, did you see how this came to be? I can't remember what I was about just before this moment."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Serrane stands slowly, unsure what has occured. He looks around at the others in the crater, then at the man above them, before proceeding to fly out. Still, he says nothing, waiting to hear the response to the other man's question.

Description:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Appears to be the same species as the observer; if they pierce this illusion, they see a very tall, handsome human male distinguished only by his three heads. If they furthermore pierce the glamered armor illusion, he now appears to be covered in some sort of plating. Regardless of the illusions, he seems to be supernaturally graceful and charming--as indeed he is.

The first illusion is not pierced by true seeing or similar effects, but the armor is. You get a save to disbelieve the first illusion only if you have true seeing something equivelent, DC 43. You get a +4 bonus on your save.
    Last edited by distant quasar; 2012-12-25 at 12:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Kara Brighthand

Kara rises to her feet, dusting herself off. She fusses with her bun as she looks about, taking in her new surroundings. "Well now, who might you dearies be?"

Description:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kara is a plump but pretty halfling girl with golden hair and eyes to match. Her skin is fair but seems to have an inner glow around the edges of the black dress that hangs from her shoulders. She wears her hair in a pony-tail fastened by a symbol of Pelor. Close inspection of her dress reveals a lightweight chainmail underneath it, and on each hip a delicate chain is coiled. Her neck is adorned by an ornate choker with an exquisite onyx set inside a ring of three golden stones.

The halfling has an apron tied about her with traces of flour visible on her fingers and around the edges of her blonde hair, and she smells of apple pie.

Upon hearing the man's warning, her eyes harden, and with a gesture her choker blazes to life with a serene light. She begins walking out of the crater towards the man, feet adhering to the glazed surface with an unnatural ease.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast light on her choker, giving bright light out to 40ft and dim light for another 40ft, treated as a 1st lvl spell, and activate her Dance of the Spider stance, giving spider-climb.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

6. - Top - End - #6

Nuitasvara opens her eyes, awoken from her sleep by a blinding light. She was understandably upset, as it had been one of the rare nights that she had been sleeping indoors. However, instead of the bitter chill of winter that her home plane was currently experiencing, she found the area to be....wrong. She couldn't quite nail it down, but something about this place was just wrong.

Sitting up, she notices two things. One, all her gear is with her. Two, there are six other beings in the immediate area: 5 within rock-throwing distance, and one slightly farther away.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic! View Post
    "Well now, who might you dearies be?"
    "Ui Nuitasvara, feraess, i'Rahdolilys, iln Alisyn," she replies, using her native tongue.

For those who understand Elven:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am Nuitasvara, elven champion, <graceful mover>*, and light bringer.

*official title

Description
    Spoiler
    Show

Nuitasvara is tall for an elf, though she still moves as gracefully as any. Her hair runs in a braid to midway down her back.

Her armor, if it could be called that, barely covers her. A light blue cloth wraps around her upper chest, and one of a similar shade covers her hips. A cloak is attached to the upper part, and she wears knee high boots.
    Last edited by GFawkes; 2012-12-24 at 10:45 PM.
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

This isn't nearly as comfortable as my bed was, Godrick thinks to himself as he lies unmoving on the cold, hard rock. He glances towards the stranger in the distance when the man calls out to them, though he remains still for the moment. That's the last thing I want to do, he replies voicelessly, this situation needs to be assessed before -- His thought is cut off by a familiar voice calling out to him.

"Vishra? he calls out questioningly while rising to his feet. "You sound angry. Did you summon me here?" Only now did Godrick look around at the others standing around him.

Description:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Godrick is a Human male. He has a broad build and is a little above average height (6'2"). His mid-length dirty-blonde hair is tied back in a braided ponytail, dropping to about the mid shoulder blades. His green eyes have a fierce look about them.

He wears simple clothing; a dark red shirt (well worn, but still in good condition) with a brown vest and long brown shorts. He carries two short swords, one at his left hip, the other over his left shoulder.
    Last edited by Kumori; 2012-12-24 at 10:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

As Earon reaches the crest he looks at the man before him for a moment before looking back to the halfling.

"The elven lady says her name is Nuitasvara. The rest was some flowery stuff that elves are so fond of. he says with a wry grin. " I am Earon Tarkil, Officer of the Order of Sealunis. "

Spoiler
    Show

Earon stands just under 6 foot with slightly broader than average build. He has brown eyes and brown hair that is not quite to his shoulders, gray streaks beginning at his temples and flowing back. Except for the morning star at his belt, he has the look of a well traveled academic as he wears no armor nor carries a shield, and his boots and cloak have more than a few stains of mud from sleeping under some hedge or bushes.

He make a mental note to himself that at least two of the other strangers know each other. As he waits for the balding man to answer, he slowly incants to himself, realizing he does not have his defenses up and he could be in a perilous situation.

Spoiler
    Show

Earon takes a few moments to cast Shield (Persisted at 7th level) and Greater Mage Armor (Extended via Enduring Force at 3rd level).
    Last edited by razorback; 2012-12-26 at 11:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Kara Brighthand

The halfling woman purses her lips in a maternal mock-frown. "Elves will certainly do that...I am Kara by the way, a humble follower of Pelor's Light." She dusts her apron off, "Now what kind of pickle are we in here, I wonder?"
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

As Godrick responds to Vishra's accusatory tone with a question about being summoned, he begins to realize that some third party must have called them both here. "Hold Godrick, I shall investigate." he says regally.

Vishra scoffs audibly at the impromptu meet and greet taking place amongst the others. "Well then if it isn't to much of an inconvenience I would really like to know who has so rudely summoned me from my throne!" his tone is cold but carries an air of authority, a clout that most nobility and royalty develop over years. "I am Vishra, Lord of the Firesands and I demand to know why I was brought here in this manner!" he says aloud but not towards any individual there.

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show

Vishra appears as a thin human of average hieght garbed in beautiful silks and gold. The style resembles that of a Sultan or Caliph, with wafty yet sturdy black silks. The cloth covers most of his body, including a head rap and veil. In almost every way he resembles a king of some far off desert kingdom. The only thing off is that it appears as if a bit of the desert came with him. Sand seems to be seeped into his pockets, folds, and if fact into the cloth itself of everything he holds. Another thing that seems to mark him as different, he has no armor or weapons at all just beautiful jewelry and clothing, a crown and scepter.

His eyes can be seen from under the veil and they are a piercing almost unnatural blue. He holds himself with great poise and some grace but not overly so. At the same time his natural clout is undeniable.

11. - Top - End - #11

A puzzled look crosses Godrick's face. If it wasn't Vishra... His left hand slowly pulls Swift Rend loose in it's sheath at his hip as he turns away from his friend. His right hand moves with practiced grace through a sequence of gestures while Godrick speaks an incomprehensible phrase.

Now finished with casting his spell (DC 24 spellcraft to identify), Godrick looks to the others evaluating whether they pose an immediate threat. As none seem immediately hostile, he releases his sword, allowing it to settle within the scabbard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Godrick cast Foresight on himself. Duration is 220 minutes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Earon watches and notes the man's actions with his sword and his spellcasting.

Spoiler
    Show

Spell craft check
    (1d20+35)[13](48)

What is this about? he thinks to himself, calm on the outside but ready to react if the need arises, the only indication of his mood is a slightly arched eyebrow.
    Last edited by razorback; 2012-12-27 at 09:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Serrane observes the man casting his spell, wondering why he is suddenly on guard.
    The man at the top of the pit still has yet to respond...

Spoiler
    Show
    Greater Arcane Sight is always active for me, so I know automatically.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Nuitasvara shoots a look at Earon after his "flowery bits" comment. "Proper titles are hardly flowery, Sir Tarkil, and we are most decidedly not fond of them," she says in elven

Seeing Godrick drawing his blade, she holds her right hand out as lines of light begin to form around it. Moving in the shape of a bow, they speed up until they become effectively solid lines. A low flash occurs and a bow with no string rests in her hand. "We seem to be here for some unified purpose. Whatever it is, we had best move. The man at the edge seems to think there is danger in the area." With that, she begins moving slowly towards the man at the edge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't think I'll be doing any more elven words, at least not until I get back home on the 2nd. There's little to work with and I tend to make up words with more vowels than consonants. For future reference, italics and color means elven, italics alone is a thought.
    Last edited by GFawkes; 2012-12-28 at 09:57 PM.
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The old man holds out what looks to be a compass, then curses under his breath. "Come on! They'll be here any minute. You need to come with me right now! I'm not getting caught by them." The old man will turn and move, putting as much distance as he can between himself and the crater as quickly as he can, not waiting around to answer questions.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Earon looks at the man, then at the others gathered with him in the pit, and then back to the man.

"Not sure about the rest of you but it seems like good advice."
    With that he invokes the power of his cloak and flies up the crater where he then surveys his surroundings for a moment before following the man.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check
    (1d20+4)[19](23)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Earon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is it just you, or does that cloud almost look like a dragon? And why is it moving? And is that just glare from the setting sun, or are there more than one? Nope. It's about five dragons.

18. - Top - End - #18

Serrane observes the man coolly, but quickly decides that there is no harm in following him. He flies after him swiftly, attempting to perceive what lies around him as he goes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+49)[64]
    Listen: (1d20+49)[59]

true seeing and greater arcane sight always active, and blindsense 30ft
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Serrane.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You Are able to spot seven very large dragons coming your way. You can't tell the size of them beyond 'eat you in one bite and not count as a snack' because of the sun shining behind and through them. They are a good distance away, and you feel you may get away in time.

Those who followed the old man,
    Spoiler
    Show
    you seem him work a lock on what appears to be an old cellar door or mineshaft. It opens easily for him in defiance of its rusty, old appearance.

20. - Top - End - #20

While he is a little hesitant to trust these unknown people in this unknown place, Godrick decides it best to remain with them rather than be left alone. He follows as well, albeit a little bit behind the others.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Earon says "There be dragons coming in. Hurry, there are at least five approaching. Get through the door. If I can see them there is a good chance they can see us."

22. - Top - End - #22

Serrane does hurry. "Seven, to be exact." he says. However, once he arrives at the door, he waits until everyone else goes through before he himself does, pausing to set up an illusion after his last companion is through. Shadows flow across the landscape...

Spoiler
    Show
    Using the Nightmares Made Real Invocation. DC 33. It can make 29 10ft cubes, which will cover an area 20ft length x 20ft width x 70ft high... that leaves a 10ft cube left over, so I'll actually only be making 28 10ft cubes. The bottom is centered on the door
    Last edited by distant quasar; 2013-03-02 at 04:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Serrane wills the shadows to move, and... Nothing Happens. The old man closes the cellar door, a click sounding as the lock re engages it self.

24. - Top - End - #24

Serrane curses loudly.

"What is going on in this place!" he demands, looking at the old man.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Earon stands in what looks to be a cellar as the darkness closes in.
    Quickly incanting to overcome the darkness he says "How far does this go? I doubt that will keep one dragon out let alone a flight of them."

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Dragon Sight (SpComp pg 73) lasts 22 hours.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Earon's spell is little more than words, with no rush of magic to greet him. The more intelligent among you all begin to realize you are in an anti-magic zone.

"Come, quickly. I have a lamp, but it won't sustain us long. We need to get out of here."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Earon grits his teeth together and lets a small his as he loosens Brightsun from his waist band and points into the darkness beyond the lamp.

"Lead on then." he practically growls.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The old man takes point, not waiting for your instruction, and leads the lot of you further down the tunnel after what seems like an hour, the oppressing darkness gives way to more lights and a small detachment of archers and priests; the latter blessing flasks of water and arrows. "Finally. We made it. Mark! I need water for these lost souls, and then we need to speak with Germain." The archers and priests do not relax their guard on the tunnel mouth you came through.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Earon sees the various men standing guard. He nods towards the men as he tries to cast a simple cantrip to clean off his clothing in an effort to see if his magic is still being blunted.
    "If you don't mind me asking, what is this place? A refuge of some sort?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

The magic comes, and your clothes are clean once more.

"It is a refuge of some sort. I do ask that you keep your magic to yourself while here, as some people are understandably jumpy." You do notice a few archers shift their aim towards you in particular as a small mechanical fairy flits down and lands on your shoulder. The rest of the party also has the same type of fairy land on them in convenient locations(a hat, a pack, a shoulder...). "Now come. Waste no time, we have much to discuss." The old man moves with purpose towards a side chamber as Mark returns with flasks of water for each of you.