New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1485
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar Questions Thread! (You ask, I'll answer)

I'll jump on the Modron wagon and ask this question :

In the PC game Planescape : Torment there is an 8 level spell called Mechanus' Cannon. Aside from the cool visual effect it's a 1d6+1 / caster level (no save!) ray of pure Law. The Cannon is in Mechanus (duh) and the ray is delivered through a gate, hence the cool visuals. Is there any backing to this fluff? Is it... (dare I type it ?) canon ?
    Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Or be a Bard Lich and tell people you're Keith Richards
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Banned

This Is Now The Modron Thread Stop You Will Be Incorporated Stop Resistance Is Futile Stop From This Day Forward You Will Service Primus Message Ends

(Apparently the forum disapproves of all-caps speak, so just pretend this reads like a telegram from Mechanus.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2013-01-29 at 11:16 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    So the march never visits the Material Plane?
    Never.

Is there a reason for the 17-centric timing, other than that this is the number of outer planes?
    Nope, that's pretty much the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    How long does modron promotion take?
    It's near-instantaneous. Call it one round if you'd like.

For example, if a squad (or whatever their units are called) of monodrones and a duodrone leader were fighting something, and the duodrone was killed before all the monodrones were, would one of them be promoted quickly enough to continue the battle?
    Yep. Only question is whether or not the promotion will hit one of the monodrones. It very well might, but it doesn't always happen. It's never been reflected in game stats for that reason.

That said, Primus is no fool. He doesn't waste effort on lost causes, and he doesn't delegate more force than would be orderly, but when something big is going on (like the March), promotions are swift and cover as many bases as is useful. When the One and the Prime thinks a bit of extra effort is called for, he can direct a higher modron's energy back into the pool and use the spare slot to do a remote promotion. You could encounter a squad of monodrones and duodrones that suddenly pop a pair of tridrones.

Actually, that makes me think of another question: What do modrons do about "healthcare"? Do modrons even need it? Do any of them even have any healing abilities to speak of?
    Some of the hierarchs have positive energy abilities for base modron repair. Forces are maintained whenever possible, especially hierarchs and special castes, but it's purely a pragmatic concern. If a modron is damaged enough to be beyond repair or a replacement would be the more efficient option for the order of Primus, that modron will be ordered back to the energy pool.

Other than being Neutral Good rather than Lawful Good and similar obviousness, what distinguishes angels from the many winged-humanoid Archons?
    Angels are powerful servants of gods and the cosmic good. They are messengers (hence the name) and protectors, watchers over all the planes. Angels perform service in surveying and intervening for good across multiple levels: devas watch over the Planes, solars watch over whole crystal spheres and no points for guessing what planetars watch over.

Angels may not look that different, but they are quite unique. Where archons have an aura of menace and are surrounded by a magic circle against evil, angels have a mighty aura of protection. Angels are more vulnerable to electricity, but have more resistances and immunities overall. As servants of the gods, angels go where they are directed by divine means and do not possess the inherent teleport ability of many exemplars, including archons, though devas can plane shift. Angels can change their form to blend in with those they protect, and several have been charged with the ability to raise dead, which is restricted among archons.

Are there any Angels less powerful than the Astral Daeva?
    The monadic and movanic devas, who oversee the Ethereal and Elemental Planes and the Energy and Material Planes respectively, are weaker than the astral deva, as is the stellar deva, an unusual celestial that watches over wildspace and the Flow. Below those are the lights, nebulous incorporeal forces of benevolence and kindness, and the agathinon, the heavenly warriors who guard the Upper Planes against physical incursion from the Lower Planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Otherwise, I blame a lack of imagination among designers for having that many humanoid-looking angels.
    For another point of differentiation, look at the relative shapes of the two. Archons have many animal traits and are more often than not Large. Only three (four) kinds of archon have wings, one of which is an owl and one of which shapes its forearms into burning swords (and is also a giant). All angels have wings, and have solid-color skin of a metallic or enameled quality. They are essentially colored light wearing an artificial shell. Only the two most powerful are Large.

Quote Originally Posted by Zubrowka74 View Post
    I'll jump on the Modron wagon and ask this question :

In the PC game Planescape : Torment there is an 8 level spell called Mechanus' Cannon. Aside from the cool visual effect it's a 1d6+1 / caster level (no save!) ray of pure Law. The Cannon is in Mechanus (duh) and the ray is delivered through a gate, hence the cool visuals. Is there any backing to this fluff? Is it... (dare I type it ?) canon ?
    No. It is a cool spell though.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2013-01-29 at 11:30 AM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Silly question, but do mortals who live in the planes have templates? For example, are humans who live in Mount Celestia celestial humans?

I'm asking this because it might be easier to rationalize half-celestial mortals coming from the union between a celestial and a regular mortal than, say, between a mortal and a exemplar. Not that the latter shouldn't/wouldn't happen, but I guess they should be rarer.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Silly question, but do mortals who live in the planes have templates? For example, are humans who live in Mount Celestia celestial humans?

I'm asking this because it might be easier to rationalize half-celestial mortals coming from the union between a celestial and a regular mortal than, say, between a mortal and a exemplar. Not that the latter shouldn't/wouldn't happen, but I guess they should be rarer.
    You wouldn't get a +4 LA half-celestial human from the mating of a +0 LA PMP human and a +2 LA celestial human; it'd be like pouring a cup of sugar into water and then finding two cups of sugar in the bottom. However it's entirely possible that your angel grampaw could have a half-celestial son who's your father, and you're a celestial human because of it, and only your kid would become Planetouched, since that's LA +1. And it'd be highly reasonable to say that the kid of a normal and a celestial might be first-generation Planetouched. (Personally I wouldn't recommend using the as-written celestial and fiendish templates, though; they're pretty bland and nowhere worth adding LA 2 on a human. I keep meaning to homebrew my own version.)

This is all speculation of course; Akuma will know whether there's any canonical basis for it.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

No, actually. There are certainly plenty of aasimar who have come home, and quite a few half-celestial whatnots, but perfectly mundane races have made lives on these planes too. In small numbers. Remember that the majority of people you come across in Celestia are quite a bit dead.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

You wouldn't get a +4 LA half-celestial human from the mating of a +0 LA PMP human and a +2 LA celestial human; it'd be like pouring a cup of sugar into water and then finding two cups of sugar in the bottom. However it's entirely possible that your angel grampaw could have a half-celestial son who's your father, and you're a celestial human because of it, and only your kid would become Planetouched, since that's LA +1. And it'd be highly reasonable to say that the kid of a normal and a celestial might be first-generation Planetouched. (Personally I wouldn't recommend using the as-written celestial and fiendish templates, though; they're pretty bland and nowhere worth adding LA 2 on a human. I keep meaning to homebrew my own version.)

This is all speculation of course; Akuma will know whether there's any canonical basis for it.
    That makes a LOT of sense, crunch-wise speaking. However, from the Celestial entry in the Monster Manual, we have the following:

Celestial creatures often come in metallic colors (usually silver, gold, or platinum). They can be mistaken for half-celestials, more powerful creatures that are created when a celestial mates with a noncelestial creature.
    So apparently, that would seem to be the case! It's kinda poetic, really. The mating of a celestial and a material creature gives rise to a paragon of its kind, stronger than both parents, with both material and celestial essence!

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    No, actually. There are certainly plenty of aasimar who have come home, and quite a few half-celestial whatnots, but perfectly mundane races have made lives on these planes too. In small numbers. Remember that the majority of people you come across in Celestia are quite a bit dead.
    Ooooooh, got it! So one thing doesn't necessarily lead to other, right?
    Last edited by Larkas; 2013-01-29 at 12:27 PM.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

So apparently, that would seem to be the case! It's kinda poetic, really. The mating of a celestial and a material creature gives rise to a paragon of its kind, stronger than both parents, with both material and celestial essence!
    Mmmexcept wrong, because "celestial" refers collectively to angels, archons, asuras, eladrins and guardinals. Probably a couple of other things too. Opposite of "fiend."

Ooooooh, got it! So one thing doesn't necessarily lead to other, right?
    I don't follow.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Banned

He's referring to the Celestial Creature template, and whether or not any creature native to an Upper Plane automatically gets it.
    Last edited by Answerer; 2013-01-29 at 12:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    He's referring to the Celestial Creature template, and whether or not any creature native to an Upper Plane automatically gets it.
    This.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

As far as I know, Planescape had native humanoid inhabitants of the planes who didn't have any special abilities. But I also think they were like "second generation colonists".

Actually, I was wrong. Humans "native" to the planes and not a material plane can be summoned and banished and count as extraplanar beings for protection from evil spells.

In 3rd Edition, such characters should be "humanoid (extraplanar)" if I remember correctly, without need for a template.
    Last edited by Yora; 2013-01-29 at 01:10 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    Nope. Celestial creatures only resemble those of the Material Plane. Humans "native" to an Upper Plane don't have the template. Of course, celestial "humans" can also exist, which are humanlike descendants of celestial beings, so there's some confusion possible there. Similarly, there are celestial "halflings" on Celestia, celestial "dwarves" on Arcadia, celestial "elves" on Arborea and celestial "gnomes" on Bytopia. Fiendish "goblins," "orcs," "drow" and the like also exist in the Lower Planes.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2013-01-29 at 01:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1033

<snip>
    (Personally I wouldn't recommend using the as-written celestial and fiendish templates, though; they're pretty bland and nowhere worth adding LA 2 on a human. I keep meaning to homebrew my own version.)

There's a nice article on the wizards website here that allows you to customize the half-fiend template. It can be easily adapted to the half-celestial as well.

EDIT: Whoops, misread your post.
    Last edited by 123456789blaaa; 2013-01-29 at 01:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1034

Flumph

This Is Now The Modron Thread Stop You Will Be Incorporated Stop Resistance Is Futile Stop From This Day Forward You Will Service Primus Message Ends

(Apparently the forum disapproves of all-caps speak, so just pretend this reads like a telegram from Mechanus.)
    Someone should make a PSY parody : Modron Style!
    Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Or be a Bard Lich and tell people you're Keith Richards
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Nope. Celestial creatures only resemble those of the Material Plane. Humans "native" to an Upper Plane don't have the template. Of course, celestial "humans" can also exist, which are humanlike descendants of celestial beings, so there's some confusion possible there. Similarly, there are celestial "halflings" on Celestia, celestial "dwarves" on Arcadia, celestial "elves" on Arborea and celestial "gnomes" on Bytopia. Fiendish "goblins," "orcs," "drow" and the like also exist in the Lower Planes.
    Oooooh, got it. Do they come "directly from the head of the Powers", from some kind of Celestial evolution, or neither? Did my question make sense?

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Colossus in the Playground

In Fiendish Codex 2 it states that (in the case of fiendish sahaugin and fiendish kobolds) that those are actually what kobold and sahuagin souls devoted to the deities Kurtulmak and Sekolah turn into, after death.

It also has fiendish gnolls (but LE) be what Set's souls can get promoted to.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    In Fiendish Codex 2 it states that (in the case of fiendish sahaugin and fiendish kobolds) that those are actually what kobold and sahuagin souls devoted to the deities Kurtulmak and Sekolah turn into, after death.

It also has fiendish gnolls (but LE) be what Set's souls can get promoted to.
    It'd make sense for them to be Petitioners. Is that what they are?

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

It'd make sense for them to be Petitioners. Is that what they are?
    It's up to the individual deity what their petitioners are.

19. - Top - End - #1039

Petitioners might vary from the standard petitioners seen in MoTP which are Outsiders.

Turning them back into mortals could be some kind of reward or punishment on the part of those deities.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed.

My, this thread is huge now.

21. - Top - End - #1041

It's up to the individual deity what their petitioners are.
    Is there a god of tarrasques whose petitioners are all tarrasques?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

Angels aren't Neutral Good; they can be any good.

And I believe there are at least two varieties that are less powerful than Astral Devas; Monadic Devas (those who keep guard of the Ethereal and Elemental Planes) and Movanic Devas (the weakest of the angels, whose job it is to protect the positive and negatives planes).

EDIT: Oh. Seems that I was reading an earlier part of the thread.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2013-01-29 at 05:14 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Titan in the Playground

I think you've already answered this one, but what exactly lives on the Positive energy plane? Are there really immense gardens where souls grow on trees, protected by mighty constructs?

Cause that kind of place sounds pretty badass to me.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    I think you've already answered this one, but what exactly lives on the Positive energy plane? Are there really immense gardens where souls grow on trees, protected by mighty constructs?

Naw, just ravids, glimmerskins, and Zag-ya.

Well, also vivacious creatures.

Are there any other published creatures native to the positive energy plane?
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

25. - Top - End - #1045

The garden did exist in Bastion of Broken Souls, and gets brought up again in Magic of Incarnum.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ashardalon's gotta feast on preincarnate souls somewhere.
    "It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players..."

--Gygax

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Probably not... but I cannot prove that there isn't.

I think you've already answered this one, but what exactly lives on the Positive energy plane?
    Very few things, but see below.

Are there really immense gardens where souls grow on trees, protected by mighty constructs?

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Naw, just ravids, glimmerskins, and Zag-ya.

Well, also vivacious creatures.

Are there any other published creatures native to the positive energy plane?
    Apart from the glimmerskins, ravids and xag-ya, there are the spiritovores and an unusual race known as the lumi. Movanic devas survey the plane on occasion and try to spirit good-aligned creatures out of danger where possible.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

So...Mister Afro...How done, In percentage, Are you with the Epic Post of Demogorgon?
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    To expand upon this: Do Tarrasque actually worship anything? Or are they incapable of worshiping anything because of there inherent "love" (are they capable of love?) of destruction?

Under what circumstances does a creature become a Paragon of it's race? If 2 Advanced Super Awesome Dragons get it on will there clutch be Paragon Dragons?

This can be answered by anyone:

Would it be unfair to use the Paragon template outside of Epic Play to stat out Notorious Monsters (See FFXI) or super hunts or whatever you want to call it?
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    This can be answered by anyone:

Would it be unfair to use the Paragon template outside of Epic Play to stat out Notorious Monsters (See FFXI) or super hunts or whatever you want to call it?
    The Paragon template is really nothing but Moar Numbers!!! (yes, the three exclamation points are mandatory). Paragon creatures are faster, tougher, smarter, and stronger than normal, but they do essentially the same things as their non-paragon counterparts and it's not really worth anywhere near the RAW +15 CR adjustment if your party is at all competent.

I'd say maybe a +5 CR would be more appropriate, and then mostly because of the extra CL and DCs for their SLAs; the incredible SR is a pain, beatstick monsters can be a lot more lethal if they surprise the PCs, and they can take down PC buffs, but golems already get Spell Immunity, beatsticks are easily countered past mid levels, and PCs should have plans for being debuffed anyway.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2013-01-29 at 08:28 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this