Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Greatclub as an implement

    Is there a way for a (level 6 goliath) druid to be able to use a greatclub as an implement?

    I can't seem to find a way currently and was hoping to be able to.

    Thanks

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Weeeeeeeeeeeell,

    I think not. As far as I know.


    But:

    1
    Homebrew, talk to your DM.

    2
    Get Quick Draw, a real implement, smash things around with your greatclub, when you need to cast a spell, hold your weapon in one hand and Quick Draw that totem, make a blast, use a minor to stick it back, and proceed to smashing.
    --This, of course, if you are a part-time Druid, and a melee stomper usually.


    Hope it helps, at least a bit. Cheers!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Badgerish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    huddersfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    homebrew option: Totemic Warclub (IL2+ Common) lets you do this for Shaman powers.
    Ask your GM about a Druid version? It's a low level common item and it's even got an extra feature you won't use, seems ripe for variant items.

    legal option: obtain Holy Symbol Implement Proficiency, then get either:
    Disrupting Weapon (IL8+ Uncommon)
    Scepter of Bane (IL4+ Uncommon)
    Which are Maces that act like Holy Symbols. Consider 'Mighty Crusader Expertise' to follow.

    best option: Use a staff and say it's very greatclub-like?
    Last edited by Badgerish; 2012-12-31 at 04:36 AM.
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Holy Symbols are good, but you could also use a ki focus on your greatclub with a psionic MC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    Holy Symbols are good, but you could also use a ki focus on your greatclub with a psionic MC.
    But that wouldn't be using the greatclub as an implement, which is what the OP's asking for. Mace-as-holy-symbol enchants are the only way to accomplish that.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kurald Galain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    The monk and asssassin are able to use any weapon they wield as an implement. I think you can use a multiclass feat to gain this ability.

    But really, I'd take any magical staff and refluff it to a greatclub. Staves are great.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

    "I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The monk and asssassin are able to use any weapon they wield as an implement. I think you can use a multiclass feat to gain this ability.
    No, you can't. All multiclass feats for both classes only give ki focuses now.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crasical's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Disrupting Weapon and Crusader's Weapon from the AV, or Unforgettable Cudgel and Weapon of Evil Undone from the AV2 all work, I think. But you need Holy Symbol proficiency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.
    Avatar by the esteemed Prime32

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Isn't there a feat that allows you to use another class's implements for your own classes powers? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that, but I forget where. If there is, could you take the Monk's "any weapon I'm proficient in" thingy?

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kurald Galain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon468 View Post
    Isn't there a feat that allows you to use another class's implements for your own classes powers? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that, but I forget where. If there is, could you take the Monk's "any weapon I'm proficient in" thingy?
    Yes, it's called Arcane Implement Proficiency. The problem is that it's restricted to implements of arcane classes, which the monk isn't.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

    "I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    CarpeGuitarrem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    I'm at the point where I'd just handwave it. It sounds awesome enough.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story | My Steam Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    I can't imagine there would be anything unbalancing about using a greatclub instead of a spear or any other weapon/totem. I'd suspect they just didn't think about it, some weapons/implements just didn't get very much love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

    Spoiler
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Yes, it's called Arcane Implement Proficiency. The problem is that it's restricted to implements of arcane classes, which the monk isn't.
    Ah, right. I forgot about that.

    I have a question somewhat related to the topic of this thread, as it involves weapons as implements. I'm about to join a new campaign, and I wanted to make a wizard that uses swords as implements. I've done it before, but the DM is only allowing the Player's Handbooks (all three) and the Forgotten Realms Player's guide.

    Is there any way with just those four books that I can do this (without having to make a hybrid)?

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    CarpeGuitarrem's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon468 View Post
    Ah, right. I forgot about that.

    I have a question somewhat related to the topic of this thread, as it involves weapons as implements. I'm about to join a new campaign, and I wanted to make a wizard that uses swords as implements. I've done it before, but the DM is only allowing the Player's Handbooks (all three) and the Forgotten Realms Player's guide.

    Is there any way with just those four books that I can do this (without having to make a hybrid)?
    Wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon path comes to mind at first blush.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story | My Steam Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    I believe a swordmage multiclass ought to allow swords as implements too.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon468 View Post
    Ah, right. I forgot about that.

    I have a question somewhat related to the topic of this thread, as it involves weapons as implements. I'm about to join a new campaign, and I wanted to make a wizard that uses swords as implements. I've done it before, but the DM is only allowing the Player's Handbooks (all three) and the Forgotten Realms Player's guide.

    Is there any way with just those four books that I can do this (without having to make a hybrid)?
    Multiclass swordmage. As of this writing, any character can use any implement he's proficient with with any power he knows.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    The multiclass feat for the Swordmage doesn't include proficiency with their implements though...? I may be mistaken, but I don't recall that.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kurald Galain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon468 View Post
    I'm about to join a new campaign, and I wanted to make a wizard that uses swords as implements.
    Hold a sword in your hand while you wield an orb with the other?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

    "I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Hold a sword in your hand while you wield an orb with the other?
    Hah I mean I actually want to get bonuses to my arcane attacks from the sword.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon468 View Post
    The multiclass feat for the Swordmage doesn't include proficiency with their implements though...? I may be mistaken, but I don't recall that.
    I believe that has been changed through errata.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    I believe that has been changed through errata.
    Oooh, I see. Sadly, my DM isn't using errata. Maybe I can just sweet talk him into letting me take a feat from Arcane Power.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kurald Galain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon468 View Post
    Hah I mean I actually want to get bonuses to my arcane attacks from the sword.
    Yeah, I get that, but mechanically speaking there's no reason for doing that (you won't get your proficiency bonus on implement attacks, regardless). So the easiest way, in true 4E style, is to do something else and refluff it.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

    "I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Yeah, I get that, but mechanically speaking there's no reason for doing that (you won't get your proficiency bonus on implement attacks, regardless). So the easiest way, in true 4E style, is to do something else and refluff it.
    Actually, it's kind of a strange reason for doing it... As part of the story our characters are essentially being remade as hybrids once we reach Paragon tier, and I'm planning on making a wizard|rogue. So it's more for the sake of being able to focus on one thing instead of weapons and implements separately.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    I understand the desire to cast spells through your sword, and think the idea of during a character into a hybrid at paragon is awesome in my book. What I don't get is why you'd want to add rogue in, mechanically?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    I understand the desire to cast spells through your sword, and think the idea of during a character into a hybrid at paragon is awesome in my book. What I don't get is why you'd want to add rogue in, mechanically?
    Mechanically? Well that remains to be seen! I just like unusual mixes and twists in my character. As the wizard is, his AC is high enough that he's about on par with strikers, so he can survive getting up close and personal as the rogue does.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon468 View Post
    Oooh, I see. Sadly, my DM isn't using errata. Maybe I can just sweet talk him into letting me take a feat from Arcane Power.
    ...This wasn't included in my first answer for the sake of politeness, but you really do need to beat your DM over the head with any book you can get your hands on until he gets it through his thick skull that 4e does not work unless material is not restricted.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    I think things can work just fine with a subset of books. What exactly do you find so objectionable about restricting access to a few books?

    On the other hand, I do find neglect of the errata a little ridiculous. The errata is freely available to anyone and is designed to fix things and make the game generally run better. I agree it can be a little annoying to keep looking things up in both the main book and the errata, but once you get used to the errata the benefits outweigh the inconvenience.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Don't know if you've noticed, but...

    1) 4e is not 3.X, and

    2) Some classes do not work that way.

    Case in point, anything out of PH2.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Greatclub as an implement

    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon468 View Post
    Mechanically? Well that remains to be seen! I just like unusual mixes and twists in my character. As the wizard is, his AC is high enough that he's about on par with strikers, so he can survive getting up close and personal as the rogue does.
    The fluff is obvious, and wonderful, but to have the Int and Dex high enough to hit, your other defenses are all going to tank. And Rogues can't use swords for most of their powers, unless you have a rapier.



    But back to the main point, yes, access to everything is key, as is the errata. If the group chips in a bit, it's not hard to get a party account to access the character builder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

    Spoiler
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •