Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Virgins to the Night [WFRP] OOC

Note: the pacing in the IC thread is pretty much up to you guys until you indicate you want to head somewhere else. Don't wait for an update for me to say that, for instance, Ren wakes up from his nap or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
    Definitely--bring on the new Becky Kurt.
    Cool! Although, I should add: I don't know if he'll want to take over an existing character or not. I'm offering Kurt and we'll see what he says.

Aberratio, if you want to introduce yourself, feel free to post
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2013-08-04 at 07:46 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hello there -

Many thanks again to the Poet for inviting me, and my compliments to all of you for your game, which does make an interesting and entertaining read.

However, to be perfectly honest, I don't really feel comfortable taking over an existing character.
    I've done it before in other games, and in my experience, it doesn't end well. I do like Kurt and playing somebody like him would be right up my alley in principle, but knowing me, there is bound to be some alternative character interpretation on my part, and if the other players think Kurt would never act the way I play him, it isn't much fun for anybody.

So I'd have to decline. I'm sorry, but there's been some quite bad experiences.

Of course, I do understand if you want a player who takes over Kurt, and I personally agree that it would be a shame to let him go to waste. It should be Tranquil's call, really, as Elodie and Kurt are quite stongly intertwined.
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I intended that you would have free rein to take Kurt in a new direction as much as you wanted to, but I can understand your point.

If I may, you're the second person who's told me that taking over an existing player can end badly. While I knew it was unusual, I didn't expect it to lead to problems. Any chance you could share what happened the last time you tried it? I was going to open up the Kurt casting to other players if you didn't take him
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

By all means, open him up to others, I wouldn't advise against that. It is just that I personally am something of a burnt child in that regard, and I'd rather not risk it another time.

I doubt you would gain anything from hearing the whole story; let's just say that there was a lot of passive-aggressiveness, unpleasant discussions and arguments. The others simply weren't comfortable with how I played that character, and thus, I wasn't either. In the end, I had the choice of having every decision made by group effort or leaving, so I took the latter.

Mind you, I don't intend to imply I think ill of the other players here, in fact, the group of the above fiasco I considered close friends back then, I knew them in real life, and most of them are still friends of mine. I'm not even saying they were wrong.

There is just something about playing a pre-existing character that is hard for me to do. For lack of a better analogy, think of it as playing Frodo in a generic campaign in a LotR setting. Nobody bats an eye at something knight # 22 does there, but whatever the Frodo player does, there is bound to be somebody who thinks it's not what "the real" Frodo would do. It's not the player's character, it's Tolkien's character, and any other player is just as removed from him as is the player portraying him.
    It's mostly a subconscious thing, I suppose.

That's just me, though. I wouldn't be surprised if it simply works when you find another player for Kurt.
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Aghhh, the forum just ate a long post. Let me try to reconstruct.

Aberratio, welcome! I'm sorry your past experience with piloting a character created by someone else went so badly. I don't blame you a bit for not wanting to be in a similar situation. Please don't take what I'm about to say as a sales pitch for why you should take over Kurt, because you have every reason not to be comfortable with that. These are my thoughts on the situation in general.

If another character wanted to take over Kurt and keep him pretty much the same, that would be fine. That said, I can see many, many reasons why he could suddenly start acting like a different person. He's young, still very much an adolescent by the standards of modern society, and he has recently been through the traumas of questioning his parentage, being kicked out of his own well-to-do family, and forced to join a paramilitary religious order. Kurt has always tried to do the right thing in his life up till now. Those are the kinds of people who, when faced with adversity in early adulthood, can sometimes go overboard with acts of rebellion and explorations of new ways of living. (This is just one example of a new direction Kurt could go in and what the rationale could be.)

If a new player wanted it, we could even give Kurt a strong impetus to start to change before the new person posted IC. Character change over the course of a narrative is a hallmark of good fiction. That said, I think we'd also welcome a Kurt who was taken up and carried forward as more or less the same person he's always. It's totally up to the new player, if there is one.

Another old chestnut of writing advice goes something like this: most stories, at their core, can be boiled down to, "A character wants something, and they either get it or they don't." I don't feel like I know quite what Kurt wants. Perhaps it is just to continue his stoic service of Morr and protection of his cousin. It's also possible Kurt has other motives that the character may not even be aware of yet. All of that is, of course, at the discretion of the new player.

To me, this type of RP seems like improv comedy in that it's driven by an attitude of "Yes, and..." (See the second paragraph here for more on that.) We don't tell each other how to pilot our characters. Elodie, being Elodie, might offer guidance, make requests and, err, prompt other characters to pretend to be mentally slow in the other thread. That's meant as an invitation to RP, though, and is not something I would do OOC under any circumstances I can think of.
    Last edited by Tranquil; 2013-08-04 at 06:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground

I'm happy to go any direction with Kurt.

Back to the game - I had the impression everyone was going to bed and then heading back to the cemetery when we woke up. Correct me if we have more time than that.
    Aquin - elf at large.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theherocc View Post
    Back to the game - I had the impression everyone was going to bed and then heading back to the cemetery when we woke up. Correct me if we have more time than that.
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. But you have time to chat, conspire, plan, scheme and share info if needed; I'm waiting on you guys to decide what to do. If you all just want to race to the cemetery, let me know.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

Double posting to get back to the Matter of Kurt.

First off, while I won't oppose Tranquil's attempt to sway you, Aberratio, please don't feel pressured. By the way, thanks for the explanation you offered - that helps me understand the issue a lot better and I can totally see how that sucked.

I'm open to bringing you into the game in some other way. I also had in mind offering you Lynn*, but I suspect that would be the same issue as Kurt, or potentially even Rudo - and Rudo may be a different story.

*Chris has now told me she's gone for good, and given her blessing to handing off the character

Other than sleeping through the first scene and saying he was afraid of turtles (which I'm ignoring) Rudo never did anything. He would be totally yours to define, and he's already in town and supposedly on Team PC, so it would be an easy intro - if you want to play a halfling grave robber.

I'd also consider creating a totally new PC except I'm skeptical of how we could convincingly introduce one (another stranger shows up and also gets hired!) so someone would have to be creative and convince me.

I've reached out to another trusted player with the option of playing Kurt; we'll see what happens. For now the position is open.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2013-08-04 at 08:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    First off, while I won't oppose Tranquil's attempt to sway you, Aberratio, please don't feel pressured. By the way, thanks for the explanation you offered - that helps me understand the issue a lot better and I can totally see how that sucked.
    As I said early on in the post, I was NOT attempting to sway him, and I understand and respect his reasons for not wanting to take on Kurt.

Aberratio mentioned me in his first post with regards to what should happen with Kurt, so I was merely offering general opinions and options.
    Last edited by Tranquil; 2013-08-04 at 08:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry that I misunderstood, Tranquil!

Also, I got your message on FB (miraculously - I no longer use that site) and I'd be happy to bring your girlfriend into the game. I'm hesitant to offer her Kurt, since I feel couples do best in a game when their characters aren't too closely intertwined, but how would she feel about Lynn?

In any case, invite her to post here in the OOC if she likes.

The other friend I had in mind is unavailable until November, so we can either do an open recruiting effort for Kurt 2.0 or I can work on writing him out of the game. I realize that would be hard on Elodie, but it might ultimately be good for her...

11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Sorry that I misunderstood, Tranquil!
    No worries. It was a long post.

The other friend I had in mind is unavailable until November, so we can either do an open recruiting effort for Kurt 2.0 or I can work on writing him out of the game. I realize that would be hard on Elodie, but it might ultimately be good for her...
    If you write Kurt out, I would really appreciate it if you didn't kill him or injure him badly since that would weight heavily on Elodie for the rest of the game. He could be called to serve Morr elsewhere, or called back to visit or assist his family...obviously, it's up to you.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

I beg your collective indulgence for these back-to-back posts.

I found a brief, possibly relevant passage in the players' manual (2nd ed., p. 167) about Taal and Rhya: "Those who often call upon Taal and Rhya's aid find that they are seldom ill and have near boundless enthusiasm, but become melancholy in cities and towns."

There may be relics buried in the Garden, and the intruders are wearing robes in a color sacred to Taal/Rhya, and heavier than the light summer Taalassa festival attire. What if the persons of interest are trying to free an artifact and take it away from town? I suspect something much darker is going on, but the weight and color of the strand of wool are a lead we haven't followed up on as far as I know.

Rhya's shrine will presumably be very busy at this time of year. I'd like to take time to visit it, look around, talk to whoever's there, and (as a cover) make offerings to Rhya.

Is there a god for sleuths who we should be praying to in-game? Could any deities actually help us in a practical way?
    Last edited by Tranquil; 2013-08-05 at 09:47 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Greetings, everyone! I'm the girlfriend mentioned above (irl I go by Sophie). I've been following this game for some time now and would very much enjoy participating - Drew, thank you for the invite. I have some experience taking over a previously created character (I'm piloting such a character in another game) and so far I find it presents intriguing RP challenges. Lynn, I think, would be particularly fun to take over - I've read the IC thread in full, so I'm familiar with her.

That said, it's inevitable that I wouldn't be able to RP Lynn exactly as BloodyAngel did. Luckily for me, there are a fair number of posts from Lynn's pov - and of course the background BloodyAngel wrote - and that all gives me a good baseline for conceiving of her character. Drew, I do have a couple of questions about specifics - should I just contact you via pm?
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

All of this may be moot if we don't get some IC posts.... <clears throat loudly>

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
    If you write Kurt out, I would really appreciate it if you didn't kill him or injure him badly since that would weight heavily on Elodie for the rest of the game.
    Sure, but if she goes around treating people like pawns she might eventually have some kind of consequences to face. Feeling guilty might do her good

I'll consider other options. He wouldn't leave Elodie even if he got new orders (he'd expect her to pack up, I imagine) so be prepared to drive him away when the time comes. It... could get thorny.

Cognomen, welcome! I'm glad you can join us :) I think we all understand that Lynn will go through some re-interpretation and I, for one, am excited to see what that looks like. Feel free to ask your questions here in the OOC thread, unless you feel they should be confidential.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2013-08-06 at 09:17 AM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'm not sure anyone would be really upset with a bit of tinkering of existing characters. There's only three players. Matt and I seriously have no problems with it, and Tranquil has said she just doesn't want Kurt acting totally against character (or getting killed). Seems like lots of room to move.

Seriously, I don't think we're that highly strung.

We'll cope with a new player.
    Ren Hardenberg, aka The Wren
    Son of Talabheim farmers, grandson of PIRATES!
    Virgins to the Night Campaign

Jasper Rubens
    University student, juggler, marksman.
    Trinity Nights Campaign

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

Cool, thanks everyone.

So, after some thought I decided there's nothing to fear from having an IRL couple play two related characters, and I offered Cognomen the option to play Kurt or Lynn - her call. I think she's leaning to Kurt.

So, Cognomen, feel free to copy and paste Kurt's sheet from the first page (so you have a version you can edit yourself).

And everyone - I was thinking it might help if we all contribute our vision of what's stood out about Kurt as a character so far? Cognomen has total free reign in taking him in a new direction, but if she wants to focus on continuity, it might help to know what the most important points are.

My take:
    • Stern
    • Shy around women/scared of the opposite sex
    • Seems to have feelings for Elodie
    • Disapproves of frivolity or unnecessary risk

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

My read on Kurt:

• Stiff
    • Quiet
    • Dutiful
    • Dignified
    • Chauvinistic
    • Cool-headed
    • "Morally upstanding"
    • Dedicated to service
    • Intimidating by virtue of his silence and his equipment (and presumed training in its use)
    • Assumes he can handle most potential combat situations. His unwillingness to arm Elodie, under the presumption that the other party members could protect her no matter what, seemed reckless and almost hubristic to me.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

My take:
    • Stern
    • Shy around women/scared of the opposite sex
    • Seems to have feelings for Elodie
    • Disapproves of frivolity or unnecessary risk
    That's pretty much it, yes.

Kurt is a rigid, prudish, austere sort, who appears to have a spear shoved up his arse. He is scrupulously honest and law-abiding; he never lies, cheats or steals, and disapproves of his friends doing these things. He prides himself on his professionalism as a knight-in-training, but is woefully incompetent at anything that falls outside his duties, such as intellectual or artistic pursuits and social situations. He has no idea what to do around women and has somewhat conservative views about their place in society. His feelings about Elodie are mixed: he's not a big fan of her assertiveness and ambition and would like to rein her in before she brings shame to her family, but she seems to have a certain power over him; she knows it and milks it for all it's worth.

When the sh*t goes down, Kurt snaps out of his quiet, reserved demeanor and becomes a ruthlessly efficient warrior, with a strict code of honor towards humans but no mercy for Chaos or undead abominations. He generally has a pragmatic, end-justifies-the-means mentality, always looking at the big picture as opposed to individual people's interests (including his own), but he'll go the extra mile to protect Elodie.

I hope that helps.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer
    A Wretched Hive (DH) as Nathias Falkner

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

19. - Top - End - #379

Griffon

As Poet said, it looks like I am indeed going for Kurt. Thanks for the run-downs on his personality, everyone - they're very helpful.

Poet and I have been discussing possibilities for where Kurt could go as a character, and he suggested I post about them here for everyone's feedback. I think that given how Kurt's been set up by Sentinel there are some very interesting potential developments. I have no intention of changing Kurt's personality too abruptly (or engaging in a total overhaul), but I'd like to implement some gradual changes.

My main concern has been Kurt's views on women. (Sentinel, out of curiosity, can you give me an idea of what you had in mind in terms of how he developed them?) I would not be capable of RPing Kurt with said views unless he were heading towards some sort of change of heart on the subject, difficult as it might be for him. I don't intend Kurt to be advocating loudly for the rights of women anytime soon, but I'm going to have him start rethinking some of his biases. (And, after all, he's only 19 - a good age for rethinking.)

Poet and I have also been discussing the possibility of Kurt gradually falling from grace, as it were, now that he's passed from the structure of his training to the outside world and its temptations. Specifically, we've been talking about the lures of women (scary! but interesting!) and drink. Based on what I gather of Kurt's character, I think he's the sort who, despite being extremely straight-laced at this point, might very well turn to alcohol to deal with confusing new ideas, changes, etc. (Tribe, it occurred to me that perhaps Ren could help corrupt him a bit, as it were...? Or Aquin, for that matter - if either of you feel that would be IC for your characters.)

Ok, posting Kurt's character sheet here as Poet suggested:

{table]Primary Characteristic....| Value
    Weapon Skill|36
    Ballistic Skill|24
    Strength|32
    Toughness|37
    Agility|30
    Intelligence|31
    Will Power|31
    Fellowship|28
    [/table]

{table=]Secondary Characteristic| Value
    Attacks|2
    Wounds|13/13
    Strength Bonus|3
    Toughness Bonus|3
    Movement|4
    Magic|0
    Insanity Points| 1
    Fate Points|3/3
    [/table]

{table=]Skills | %
    Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry)| 31
    Animal Care| 31
    Animal Training| 28
    Charm| 28
    Common Knowledge (the Empire)| 31
    Dodge Blow| 30
    Gossip| 28
    Ride| 30
    Speak Language (Breton)| 31
    Speak Language (Reikspiel)| 31
    [/table]

{table=]Talents
    Ambidextrous
    Etiquette
    Excellent Vision
    Specialist Weapon Group (Cavalry)
    Strike Mighty Blow
    [/table]

Equipment: Demilance, hand weapon (broadsword), dagger, mail shirt, mail coif, leather jack, shield, horse with saddle and harness, common clothing, backpack, religious symbol (raven pendant)
    Gold: 14 gc 19 s 8 p (+5 gc party funds)

Advances: +1 Attack, +5 Strength
    XP: 50 / 150

Smoke the Horse:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=]Primary Characteristics| Value
    Weapon Skill| 25
    Ballistic Skill| 0
    Strength| 38
    Toughness| 43
    Agility| 30
    Intelligence| 10
    Will Power| 10
    Fellowship| 0
    [/table]

{table=]Secondary Characteristics| Value
    Attacks| 0
    Wounds| 5/12
    Strength Bonus| 3
    Toughness Bonus| 4
    Movement| 8
    Magic| 0
    Insanity Points| 0
    Fortune/Fate Points| 0/0
    [/table]

{table=]Skills| %
    Perception +10%| 40
    Swim | 38
    [/table]

{table=]Talents
    Acute Hearing
    Keen Senses
    [/table]

Any feedback you guys might have to give would be welcome.
    Last edited by Cognomen; 2014-01-23 at 02:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cognomen View Post
    My main concern has been Kurt's views on women. (Sentinel, out of curiosity, can you give me an idea of what you had in mind in terms of how he developed them?) I would not be capable of RPing Kurt with said views unless he were heading towards some sort of change of heart on the subject, difficult as it might be for him. I don't intend Kurt to be advocating loudly for the rights of women anytime soon, but I'm going to have him start rethinking some of his biases. (And, after all, he's only 19 - a good age for rethinking.)
    Oh, it's perfectly alright if you change this gradually; it was part of my plans as well. Kurt's views are mostly the result of his upbringing (by priests, monks and fellow knights) and inexperience with the world at large. I'm not expecting such opinions to resist real life for long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer
    A Wretched Hive (DH) as Nathias Falkner

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Aquin would be a good person to corrupt Kurt. Ren doesn't really know what he's doing, so if Ren's the corrupting influence it'd be purely accidental. I guess Ren's more of a mercurial-thinking opportunistic good guy.

Yeah.

Smart but dumb.

Jasper Rubens
    Trinity Nights Campaign

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Glad you're still reading, Sentinel. Thank you by the way, for making an interesting character worthy of handing down to someone else, and for sticking with us as long as you did with your busy work schedule.

Right, Cognomen I think we're ready to introduce the new Kurt if you want.

You should probably grab Kurt's XP, advancement history, trappings, gold etc and edit it into your character sheet post.

23. - Top - End - #383

Griffon

Aha, I missed the trappings/xp/etc when I copied him over - I've edited the post above (and added Smoke the horse).

Sentinel, thanks for the info about his sexism - I figured it might have something to do with his training.

Off to post something suitably stiff-necked!
    Last edited by Cognomen; 2013-08-09 at 05:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

Ren has paid for today and tomorrow's lodging, so let's assume the milk is included.

I'm just watching for now, basically you guys have as much prep time as you need. If you need something from me or are ready to go to the Cemetery let me know.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Orc in the Playground

Our fearless leader is having internet problems. He'll get a post up as soon as he can.
    Aquin - elf at large.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks Matt :)

We've backtracked to a town that has functional wi-fi, and I just spent 12 hours catching up on work. New post up Monday!

27. - Top - End - #387
    Orc in the Playground

Just want to remind you that Aquin had night vision before we begin this serious battle...
    Aquin - elf at large.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

So does Ren. Night vision that is.

Jasper Rubens
    Trinity Nights Campaign

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

The Night Vision talent gives a straight numeric bonus to certain rolls, which I'll add if it comes up. Elves on the other hand have some kind of actual nighttime vision? I'll check when I'm near the pdf.

Sounds like Ren/Aquin are set then. I'll
    wait to hear from Team Berkeley :P

Also, we're heading to another small rural town today, this time on the Hatian border. In theory our inn has wi-fi AND we have a mobile hotspot as a backup. But that all failed last weekend, so while I hope to be updating normally over the next few days, if I disappear it's temporary and you'll know why :)

30. - Top - End - #390

Griffon

I can't speak for Thea just now but I'm pretty much ready to go I think (despite some worried double-thinking about whether I placed Kurt in the right place)...