New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread

Working on a new one for the April Fool's contest. Rather like how it's going. Doing an evil outsider based upon a fun word I discovered the other day.
    Last edited by PhantomBread; 2007-04-05 at 11:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Could we submit a template (one of those elaborate build-a-monster sort of templates) w/ sample monster? Or must it be a complete monster?

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Ooh. I just had a creepytastic dark-humor sort of idea.

I'll have to see if I can get it done.
    "I have tasted the heat of many stars, and all of them were sweet."
    -The Hive Queen

4. - Top - End - #364
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Happy with the fluff, still having trouble with the excecution, stat-wise.

I have absolutely no idea what dark corner of my head this crawled out of.
    -The Hive Queen

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

D1's entry made me laugh. All I could think of was, "Scaramouche, Scaramouche, can you do the fandango?"

6. - Top - End - #366
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maerok View Post
    Could we submit a template (one of those elaborate build-a-monster sort of templates) w/ sample monster? Or must it be a complete monster?
    If you have a new creature to add it to, thats fine, but I think I'll save a future month for templates.

Anyways, I'll be going over all the entries within the next couple days.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    D1's entry made me laugh. All I could think of was, "Scaramouche, Scaramouche, can you do the fandango?"
    My first thought was Phule's Company- at the beginning, his legion name is Scaramouche.
    -The Hive Queen

8. - Top - End - #368
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Talion View Post
    My first thought was Phule's Company- at the beginning, his legion name is Scaramouche.
    Haha, you've read that to?

But yeah, Scaramouche, Jester, Fool... so many different words for the same general folks.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Of course, courtesy of my father's corruption. Omega Company kicks the Myth books' ass.

Mmm. I might switch my entry to something less morbid. And possibly Shakespearian.
    -The Hive Queen

10. - Top - End - #370
    Banned

A'ight, messages have been sent.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Another Maerok-sphere-based creation!!!
    1. Fist of Undeath
    2. Magnox
    3. Corpse Sphere
    4. Facsimilix

12. - Top - End - #372
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, my post is up on the submissions thread.
    I'm having trouble setting a CR, though, because my critter isn't one of straightforward abilities. It's attacks are as good as nonexistant, it has one HD, and its stats are anything but impressive... but it also can deal permanent ability damage, if given enough time. Then again, as soon as it's found, it's not difficult to deal with (heavy rock does the trick). It could really be an extreme threat, or a quick fix, depending on the luck of the spot checks/hide checks. Any ideas?

Here it is, by the way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bloodscarab
    Fine Aberration
    HD 1d8 (4 hp)
    Speed 5 ft, Burrow 5 ft, Fly 50 ft (perfect)
    Init +4
    AC 23 (+4 Dex, +8 Size, +1 Natural)
    BAB/Grapple +0/-21
    Attack Bite +12 (1)
    Full-Attack Bite
    Space 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
    Special Attacks Attach
    Special Qualities Blindsight
    Saves Fort +0 Ref +4 Will +0
    Abilities Str 1, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 6, Cha 4
    Skills Hide +17, Move Silently +17
    Feats Weapon finesse (bite)
    Environment Any temperate, warm, deciduous forest, or marsh
    Organization Solitary
    CR
    Treasure None
    Alignment Always Chaotic Neutral
    Advancement 1-3 HD Fine

Walking his daily patrol through the marsh, the guard hears a slight humming noise as something blurs past him. He draws his sword and whirls to face his attacker, but there is nothing to fight. Suddenly, he feels a sharp sting on the back of his neck. Reaching up to feel it, he feels only a tiny cut and a drop or two of his own blood. Nothing else happens, and he soon forgets about it.

Parasitic bloodscarabs are large milky-white carapaced beetles, about three inches long, with tiny hooks at the ends of their six legs, and a softer, pinkish underbelly. Bloodscarabs are eyeless and therefore immune to illusions and gaze attacks. They have large mandables and a tiny razor-sharp proboscis folded between them. Their wings are translucent pink. They are found in warm, wet places such as swamps and rainforests, but are rarely seen, as they hide from everything, coming out only to seek a host.

Blindsight (Ex): By feeling vibrations in the air, an unattached bloodscarab can ascertain objects and creatures within 60 feet as a seeing creature would.

Combat
    Bloodscarabs avoid combat altogether. If they are cought trying to enter a host, they flee, burrowing into the ground or flying off, to wait for a less observant host to chance by.

When it matures (1d3+1 years), a bloodscarab seeks a host in which to reproduce. When it finds a suitable target (humanoid), it alights on the creature and attaches itself.

Attach: The bloodscarab must first hit with its bite attack. It then creates a tiny incision in the back of the creature’s neck, at the base of the skull, slips between the skin and bone, and firmly attaches itself to the skull. Since it is rooted, it looses its Dexterity bonus to armor class. Its rounded white back is perfect camoflauge, and it is able to flatten itself almost completely against the bone. When hidden thus, the beetle gains a +10 circumstance bonus on hide checks to remain undetected. The bloodscarab immediately begins to excrete slow-working digestive juices. After three days, and every day thereafter, the host must make a Fortitude save (DC 10+number of days infested) or suffer 1 temporary Constitution damage (The DC for this save never exceeds 30). If the save is failed by 10 or more, the host takes 1d4 temporary Constitution damage instead. This damage stacks every time the host fails a save, and does not heal normally as long as the beetle remains attached. If the host’s constitution score is reduced to zero or fewer by this damage, the host dies, and the bloodscarab lays 1d4 eggs in the corpse before also dying.
    After 10 days in a host, a bloodscarab begins absorbing blood from the softened head of its victim, dealing 2d6 points of damage every day +1 per five days infested. This damage never exceeds 2d6+10. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage. Also, when the host takes 1d4 Constitution damage for a failed save, it also takes 1 point of permanent Intelligence damage due to blood loss in the brain, and one point of the constitution damage is permanent. As it drains blood from its host, a bloodscarab swells and turns red, becoming easier to spot. Its wings fall off, and quickly dissolve into the host’s bloodstream, and its hard carapace softens, so it loses its natural armor bonus to AC. It suffers a cumulative –1 penalty per day to hide checks to remain undetected. After twenty days, this penalty stops growing as the bloodscarab does, and the beetle can be easily seen as a four-inch-wide pinkish tumor-like growth, webbed with bulging veins.

A successful DC 15 knowledge (nature) check identifies the parasite, and a DC 25 check provides information about its habits and abilities.

The bloodscarab and the damage it causes cannot be removed by magical means short of a limited wish, wish, or miracle. If an attached bloodscarab is dealt one or more points of fire damage, but not enough to render it unconscious or dead, it unattaches, and remains unattached for 1d4 hours. When it is unattached, or has taken sufficient damage to incapacitate it, it can be removed with a successful DC 15 heal check, dealing 1d6 damage to the host whether the check is successful or not. While it is still attached, a DC 30 heal check is required to remove it, and it deals 2d6 points of damage to the host whether the check is successful or not. When the parasite is destroyed or removed, the ability score damage heals normally.
    Last edited by Abjurer; 2007-04-18 at 08:47 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

The Bloodscarab doesn't really fit the theme at all...
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Dwarf in the Playground

Doesn't it? I'm sorry.
    What would make it better?
    Or should I just take it out?

15. - Top - End - #375
    Banned

As we have very few entries this month I've decided to allow it. A voting poll has been posted, see front page for the link.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Dwarf in the Playground

Man, I would have submitted an entry. But I'm having enough trouble as is even getting online now. At least until the guy from my service provider comes to check out what's wrong with the modem on Wednesday.

Ah well, gonna wait and see what's on for the month of May........
    I didn't know zombies could be polymorphed........

Spoiler
    Show
    This is your resident undead coffee addict, Single Shot Zombie, speaking. And I am now resigned to being an undead mongrel for the rest of my (un)natural life........

(Zombie Dog done by urodivoi; Zombie Student done by Chris the Pontifex.)

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

*grumble* I meant to finish mine, but life got in the way.

I voted for the scaramouche, if only for the name.
    -The Hive Queen

18. - Top - End - #378
    Banned

Congratulations to Maerok and Demented!

A new contest has now begun...

19. - Top - End - #379
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I've been sick. A really nasty respiratory infection, which regularly seems my lot this time of year. So the rich fecundity of spring is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

Therefore, I give you the giant bacillus swarm (yeah, I know I've almost certainly had a coccus of some sort, not a bacillus, but there you have it). Probably not quite what you had in mind, but it's certainly defined by its...fertility? Is that the right term? Anyway, by its reproductive capabilities.

As always, comments much appreciated, especially as regards to CR. I pitched it, perhaps, a bit low--but then, this is a monster that's *really* easy to run from; it's only really a challenge if you get surrounded, or if it's blocking the way between you and something you need to get to--and even then, only if you can't fly.
    My latest homebrew: Gastrus

20. - Top - End - #380
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by belboz View Post

Therefore, I give you the giant bacillus swarm (yeah, I know I've almost certainly had a coccus of some sort, not a bacillus, but there you have it). Probably not quite what you had in mind, but it's certainly defined by its...fertility? Is that the right term? Anyway, by its reproductive capabilities.
    Heh heh. The contest is for things that are intsensely ALIVE! Can be anything from a nature spirit to, yes, a rapidly reproducing macro-germ

As always, comments much appreciated, especially as regards to CR.
    Get to it in the morning... *yawns*

(I've also been down with a bug, so I feel your pain)

21. - Top - End - #381
    Banned

Hrmmm, hope I've not scared everyone away with this month's contest...

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    I'm working on an entry as we speak...type...
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am working on an entry as well, and i'm about halfway done. Spent about two hours just looking through the prints section at Deviant art looking for ideas, and I got some.
    In the desert
    I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
    Who, squatting upon the ground,
    Held his heart in his hands,
    And ate of it.
    I said, "Is it good, friend?"
    "It is bitter - bitter", he answered,
    "But I like it
    Because it is bitter,
    And because it is my heart."

Stephen Crane, 'In the Desert'

24. - Top - End - #384
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    It has just taken a while to think of a good entry. Eventually had to settle on a retelling of the Mandrake Root. Had to tone it down some from the usual legends having to deal with Mandrake Roots. Also decided to not have it scream.

But yeah... this was about my fifth idea, the other ones I couldn't quite figure out.

Alternate ideas:
    1. An Undead who really wants to be alive
    2. An undead in a symbiotic relationship with a plant
    3. A LE Devil outsider that reduces sexual urges and fertility... named "Chastity"
    4. Lillith, as the Mother of Monsters
    5. Anthropormorfic Cane Toads / Were-Cane Toads

I could use some help judging the CR of this thing, and simplifying the rules for its various abilities. I look forward to seeing more entries!

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Muliwai posted. Critiques desperately needed: it uses a lot of strange mechanics, and I'm entirely uncertain of CR.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Given the fluffy it should have a large racial bonus to disguising itself as part of a body of water. Also, I would give a Will save on the domination thing... can this thing seep through the ground to spend 3 days under a stationary plant creature to take it over? An Orcwort (CR20 plant that drops vaguely Orc like mobile fruits to bring it prey) controlled by this thing would be rather nasty.Also by adding +2 to all stats you just made animals smart enough to talk! Not smart, but kinda "Watership Down" level maybe.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Given the fluffy it should have a large racial bonus to disguising itself as part of a body of water. Also, I would give a Will save on the domination thing... can this thing seep through the ground to spend 3 days under a stationary plant creature to take it over? An Orcwort (CR20 plant that drops vaguely Orc like mobile fruits to bring it prey) controlled by this thing would be rather nasty.Also by adding +2 to all stats you just made animals smart enough to talk! Not smart, but kinda "Watership Down" level maybe.
    Updated the fluff. Most of the time it will remain within an existant body of water. I will give it a Disguise bonus to reflect such.

As for seeping under a plant to take it over, yes, it could do such, though it probably wouldn't until it had gained a significant amount of intelligence.

And talking animals? Yes, though it is usually the muliwai that does the talking.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Orc in the Playground

Do dominated monsters keep their CR, or are they treated like cohorts (as part of the CR of the original). If they keep their own CR, then I think 10 is fine for the Muliwai. Although...

Suppose you have a Muliwai that has bonded with, say, a CR 15 creature. The EL will still be 15...but the creature will be noticeably stronger (+2 to all abilities) than when encountered alone.

Maybe you need, as a sort of "support monster" to the Muliwai (I know VT has allowed these in the past) a very simple "Muliwai-bonded" template that adds, say, +1 CR?
    My latest homebrew: Gastrus

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by belboz View Post
    Do dominated monsters keep their CR, or are they treated like cohorts (as part of the CR of the original). If they keep their own CR, then I think 10 is fine for the Muliwai. Although...

Suppose you have a Muliwai that has bonded with, say, a CR 15 creature. The EL will still be 15...but the creature will be noticeably stronger (+2 to all abilities) than when encountered alone.

Maybe you need, as a sort of "support monster" to the Muliwai (I know VT has allowed these in the past) a very simple "Muliwai-bonded" template that adds, say, +1 CR?
    There is a Muliwai-Bonded Template that is at the bottom of the entry. I will give it a +1 CR though.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

The gaurdian of the forest should be 1/3d12 not 1d4. I also would CONSIDER giving it +10 turn resistance instead of complete immunity... also can they be easily commanded?