New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Mass Effect Games

I am wondering if there is going to be a tabletop roleplaying game for this, and if not, how exactly one would go about making one up. I have enjoyed the games quite a bit and want to try playing in a new way.

I have D&D stuff, the 20th anvis. Edition of Shadowrun, and the Edge of the Empire beta available to use. I can acquire other systems if i spend the money, plus i know wushu.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect Games

Of those, Shadowrun will probably get you closest to the feel you want.

However, I'd always recommend Spirit of the Century these days. It's designed for a Pulp Action/Adventure setting slightly after the turn of the century, but it's pretty simple to change up the skills and adjust the stunts to make a version that's customized to the world you want. If you're not afraid of a little homebrew it gives you a nicely flexible, story-and-character drive system with a fast resolution mechanic.

Just maybe give people a few more stunts as the game progresses to represent the improving abilities, and you'll have a great system.

If you want more of a combat focus (SotC doesn't really have many tactical combat rules: it's more rules-light than many other systems), Shadowrun or GURPS might be helpful to you.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

We've just wrapped up another stint of Mass: the Effecting, a conversion for nWoD that works very well.

You can listen to podcasts of actual play on our site. We're playing Penumbra Securities, an "ethical" mercenary company.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I think Star Wars Saga is perfect for that. All you need is to make new races and rework the Jedi class into an Adapt and adjust some Force Powers to Biotic Powers.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Shadowrun does seem the most ready to adapt if you ask me. Hacking is a thing in ME and SR, Biotics is just more limited magic.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

D6 is free, and there's existing conversions for Mass Effect out there, but if you're more familiar with others, go with them. I was working on SW conversion, but I haven't played anything in months, much less worked on a conversion.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like Traveller could do this as well. Pretty well, too, I don't think you'd really need to change anything, would you? It's a streamlined skills-based game (2d6, add stat and skill, get an 8 or higher) with interstellar travel and gritty combat...and psionics. Pretty fast and flexible, and the lifepath character creation does a good job of bringing the setting alive.

I'd say it's generic enough to be adaptable to the ME setting, but flavorful enough to inspire characters.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I have played Traveller and i found it not really fun. The game of traveller i was in broke apart because half of the party wanted to do stuff to pay off our ship that was simple, while the gm wanted to run another adventure that i and another player found interesting. So the party broke in half and the game was ruined.

Have not played shadowrun, but the saga idea seems interesting. I was kinda of hoping that Bioware had did a "dragonage" thing, since there is a roleplaying system made for the rpg computer game. I think i may toy with the saga or shadowrun stuff, but given that our gaming rarely plays anything outside D&D 3.5/5th playtest, it might not happen.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

well, Mass Effect was built from the same stuff as Knights of the Old Republic, so I imagine that a Star Wars game could serve very well as a Mass Effect starting point.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I guess I will look more into it.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)