New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default [3.5/PF] Extra Damage and Critical Hits

So we're all aware that many forms of extra damage do not get multiplied on a critical hit. Sneak Attack damage, Skirmish damage, damage from Flaming, Frost, or Holy weapons (their burst variations nonwithstanding) and the like are all examples of such damage. However, I was always under the impression that this was only the case when either a general rule, or a rule in the ability's own description, specifically states that it cannot. But I have, recently, ran into some, shall we say, disagreement, on this issue. This leads me to wonder if there is perhaps some rule I have missed, or whether, as I suspect, sources of damage are, as I suspected, only reduced on critical hits when specifically states to be. I know that, among other things, this would be of particular interest both to bards with Dragonfire Inspiration, as well as martial adapts, where strikes are specifically noted as not having their extra damage multiplied on a crit, but have no such exemption for boosts, counters, or in rare cases, stances. Finally, if it is the case that these are not so limited, I'd also be interested in other good sources of damage that are also multiplied on a critical hit.

Note: I did not mention weapon-like spells, as they are specifically noted to threaten critical hits.
    "If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace." -The Epic of Gilgamesh

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/PF] Extra Damage and Critical Hits

As far as it goes, there's two things that generally aren't multiplied on a crit:

1. Precision damage, which is what you get from skirmish and sneak attack
    2. Added energy damage to an attack, such as the flaming enchantment or dragonfire inspiration

Just about everything else can crit if it involves an attack roll. it's why Eldritch blast works for it - theoretically, shivering touch can actually critical hit, doing 6d6 dexterity damage rather than 3d6.

Also, since you pointed out pathfinder, take a look at the pathfinder paladin's new and improved smite evil ability. it's beyond awesome now, and the extra damage it does is multiplied by critical hits as well.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I was under the impression that no damage dice over the weapon's regular dice would multiply.

Was I wrong?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

3.5 rule:
    Multiplying Damage

Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied.
    So sneak attack dice won't be multiplied, but the non-dice sneak attack bonus from Craven will be multiplied.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    2. Added energy damage to an attack, such as the flaming enchantment or dragonfire inspiration
    See, this is where I have some confusion. Nothing in the description of Dragonfire Inspiration says that the extra damage dice are not multiplied on a critical hit, and further, the normal damage bonus from Inspire Courage, to the best of my knowledge, is. So why, exactly, wouldn't it be multiplied?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumudgeon
    3.5 rule:
    Multiplying Damage
    Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.
    Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied.
    So sneak attack dice won't be multiplied, but the non-dice sneak attack bonus from Craven will be multiplied.
    Interesting. Might I ask were this rule is referenced?
    "If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace." -The Epic of Gilgamesh

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightwyrm View Post
    See, this is where I have some confusion. Nothing in the description of Dragonfire Inspiration says that the extra damage dice are not multiplied on a critical hit, and further, the normal damage bonus from Inspire Courage, to the best of my knowledge, is. So why, exactly, wouldn't it be multiplied?
    Because it's damage dice, and that in itself is enough to disqualify it. Flat bonuses to damage work, damage dice don't.

Actions In Combat: Critical Hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

7. - Top - End - #7

As per the rule you quoted, extra damage dice are never multiplied.

Source for D&D 3.5
    Source for Pathfinder

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

Alright, thanks everyone for the information.