New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XLI

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    See, that's where I stopped. Once you get initiate mysteries, your apprentice mysteries stop functioning as spells, rendering them illegal as Spell Versatility parameters.

That's assuming that a DM would even let you do it in the first place - they're technically mysteries at all levels, even if they do function as spells.
    Mysteries are spells. At higher level, they also become (sp) at (su), but mysteries never stop being spells.

Shadowcaster is a spellcasting class. Geomancer allows Spell Versatility to combine paramaters from their spellcasting classes, when those spells are cast.

A Shadow Evocation cast using Spell Versatility, remains a spell up until the point it is cast. When it it cast, it can mix and match the parameters from the Geomancers spellcasting classes for maximum benefit. Once that spell is cast, issues of elligablity are redundant, because it has already been cast.

Now, if you wanted to say that a high level Shadowcaster could not cast their (su) or (sp) mysteries through Spell Versatility, I would agree with you. However, that was not what my (non) entry was specced for.

2. - Top - End - #212

Quote Originally Posted by WinWin View Post
    Mysteries are spells. At higher level, they also become (sp) at (su), but mysteries never stop being spells.

Shadowcaster is a spellcasting class. Geomancer allows Spell Versatility to combine paramaters from their spellcasting classes, when those spells are cast.

A Shadow Evocation cast using Spell Versatility, remains a spell up until the point it is cast. When it it cast, it can mix and match the parameters from the Geomancers spellcasting classes for maximum benefit. Once that spell is cast, issues of elligablity are redundant, because it has already been cast.

Now, if you wanted to say that a high level Shadowcaster could not cast their (su) or (sp) mysteries through Spell Versatility, I would agree with you. However, that was not what my (non) entry was specced for.
    From ToM page 112:

You do not cast spells as other classes do, but instead invoke mystical secrets called mysteries
    Mysteries are not spells. Some are cast as though they are spells but they aren't actually spells.

3. - Top - End - #213

...and was an ECL 22 character?
    sorry got carried away with the drift, was geomancer 6
    And 7th level casting

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    Mysteries are not spells. Some are cast as though they are spells but they aren't actually spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToM page 138
    Mysteries function as spells, spell like abilities or supernatural abilities, depending on the category of the path and the knowledge of the mystery user
    Mysteries function as spells. Arcane spells to be specific. Shadowcasters are also spellcasters. How about that?

5. - Top - End - #215

Mysteries function as spells. Arcane spells to be specific. Shadowcasters are also spellcasters. How about that?
    You specifically said:

You did not say that they functioned as spells which was what I was saying.

Can I have a quote that says shadowcasters are spellcasters?. I can't find any and this quote from ToM:

Unlike spellcasters, you don’t get bonus mysteries for a high ability score.
    Seperates the two.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

You specifically said:

You did not say that they functioned as spells which was what I was saying.

Can I have a quote that says shadowcasters are spellcasters?. I can't find any and this quote from ToM:

Seperates the two.
    Check the section on prestige classes. There's a note or side-bar there (AFB) that says that for the purpose of multiclassing into a prestige class that progresses spellcasting they count as spellcasters. I don't remember the exact details though.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

From ToM page 112:

You do not cast spells as other classes do, but instead invoke mystical secrets called mysteries
    WinWin, this phrase is probably the major reason I gave up on my build.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Check the section on prestige classes. There's a note or side-bar there (AFB) that says that for the purpose of multiclassing into a prestige class that progresses spellcasting they count as spellcasters. I don't remember the exact details though.
    It mentions that mysteries count as spells of X level if the PrC requires X level spells. On the other hand, it never once refers to them as spellcasters. Casters (or mystery-caster), yes, but not spellcasters.

Personally, I'm treating them like invocation users - sorta spellcasters, but at the same time, not spellcasters.

8. - Top - End - #218

page 111, the Shadowcaster class description refers to Shadowcasters as spellcasters.

page 117, again refers to shadowcasters as spellcasters.

Mysteries explicitly function as arcane spells, unless modified by class features. Logically, this makes them spellcasters.

It does not matter that their spellcasting system has a funny name and wierd interations with other forms of spellcasting. When they cast spells, they follow all of the rules for casting spells with a few particular exeptions, that can subsequently be exploited by a Geomancers Spell Versatility.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

page 111, the Shadowcaster class description refers to Shadowcasters as spellcasters.
    ...where? I see two places that it implies that they're spellcasters ("...than other spellcasters")

page 117, again refers to shadowcasters as spellcasters.
    I honestly can't find where you see this. Mind pointing it out?

Mysteries explicitly function as arcane spells, unless modified by class features. Logically, this makes them spellcasters.
    It specifically calls them out as functioning as arcane spells. This does not mean that they are arcane spells. Directly under the Mysteries and Paths section of the class description;

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteries and Paths, ToM, p112
    You do not cast spells as other classes do, but instead invoke mystical secrets called mysteries.
    Which one should take precedence - the one where it says they function as arcane spells, or where they explicitly call them out as not-spells?

10. - Top - End - #220

Which one should take precedence - the one where it says they function as arcane spells, or where they explicitly call them out as not-spells?
    It makes no such expicit reference. It simply states that "Shadowcasters do not cast spells as other classes do".

It means, "Shadowcasters cast their spells differently to other spellcasters", not "Shadowcasters do not cast spells". Because, shadowcasters do actually cast spells and your interpretation would make absolutely no sense, when contexualised by the actual abilities of the class.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

Devil

Seperates the two.
    Neither does a bard or Shugenja IIRC.

In regards to the comment referring to casting spells but invoking mysteries, you invoke mysteries which are arcane spells.

Unfortunately for the purposes of meeting geomancer prereqs you need to cast spells, and invoking is not casting, similar to having a l2 scroll would not allow you to meet prereq due to being completion, not cast.

12. - Top - End - #222

You do not invoke mysteries.

Mysteries are cast. When a mystery is a spell, you're casting a spell. You follow all of the rules for casting a spell. When it is a spell like ability, you're casting a spell-like ability, and following all of the rules for spell-like abilities, and so on.

Regardless, my (non) entry did not use Shadowcaster to qualify for Geomancer. It used Sha'ir. I never claimed you could enter Geomancer using Shadowcaster.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Banned

Devil

I really think you've convinced yourself here.

You invoke mysteries which work like arcane spells. Nothing is "cast", and neither do you have the ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells.

In regards to illegality, spare a thought for Xian Ha Feng (Neraph Wu Jen/Incantatrix base); it cannot enter Incantatrix due to not being able to cast 3rd level spells.

However, it is easy enough to bring in geomancer 1 at 8th level and delay incantatrix entry by 1. And as they ran out of time I think that was what was intended. Especially as the sweet spot is clearly ECL20, it has little effect outside of delaying metamagic effect until 11th rather than 10th.

14. - Top - End - #224

Mysteries are cast. When a mystery is a spell, you're casting a spell. You follow all of the rules for casting a spell. When it is a spell like ability, you're casting a spell-like ability, and following all of the rules for spell-like abilities, and so on.

Regardless, my (non) entry did not use Shadowcaster to qualify for Geomancer. It used Sha'ir. I never claimed you could enter Geomancer using Shadowcaster.
    ...but you said:

Really, I wasn't arguring about the interpretation in the first quote above. It's debatable but a reasonable interpretation. What I was arguing was the second quote above.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Banned

Devil

The 2nd is a long time coming. =(.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    The 2nd is a long time coming. =(.
    with 17 theurges to taste, it's the only way we'll get even one judging.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

I can see that we're not going to change each other's mind on this mystery =/= spells issue.

Agree to disagree?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Curmudgeon's 2cp on Mysteries and Spell Versatility, fwiw:

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon
    On whether the trick in this link of using Geomancer's Spell Versatility to cast spells as Shadowcaster mysteries is valid.

I understand if you would rather abstain.

Thanks.
    The build seems to be invalid on multiple counts.
    Used interpretation of Spell Versatility to cast spells using mystery parameters, voiding component costs and other fun.
    Metamagic is not a focus of this build, but theoretically spells can be treated as mysteries (or vice versa) and still benefit from metamagic and metashadow rods due to the Versatile Spellcasting ability.
    The highlighted part is bogus. Mysteries can function as spells, but I see nothing in the Shadowcaster class abilities that lets this work the other way around. And the Geomancer Spell Versatility is still exclusive to spells; "he can mix or match spellcasting parameters from any of his classes". Even the Adaptation section of the class description (which would require specific DM approval rather than being taken as a given) is about being "more specific" with regard to spellcasting (Complete Divine, page 41).

Since that double rules violation (spells functioning as mysteries, and Spell Versatility working with mysteries instead of just spells) makes pretty much everything fall apart, I stopped checking for further errors.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229

I can see that we're not going to change each other's mind on this mystery =/= spells issue.

Agree to disagree?
    Aha, light at the end of the tunnel! I know it's verboten here on the Internet, but can I suggest that both sides could be correct? From where I stand, the problem is in unclear wording which can be interpreted either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Magic
    Shadowcasters do not cast spells as other classes do
    could mean "Shadowcasters cast spells in a way unique from other classes," or it could mean "Other classes cast spells; shadowcasters do not." Am I crazy, or is either way acceptable?
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-01-23 at 04:05 PM.
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

20. - Top - End - #230
    Banned

Devil

While mysteries may well be spells, you "invoke" mysteries.

21. - Top - End - #231

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Aha, light at the end of the tunnel! I know it's verboten here on the Internet, but can I suggest that both sides could be correct? From where I stand, the problem is in unclear wording which can be interpreted either way.

could mean "Shadowcasters cast spells in a way unique from other classes," or it could mean "Other classes cast spells; shadowcasters do not." Am I crazy, or is either way acceptable?
    Your kind of right but really the whole thing is a big mess.

on page 111 it says the shadowcaster is "less versatile than other spellcasters." This defines shadowcasters as spellcasters.

it goes on to say "like most spell users, her role depends largely on the magic she chooses."

It then immediately contradicts itself on page 112 by saying "You do not cast spells, as other classes do."

It then swings back the other way again by saying "Mysteries represent thought patterns an formulae so alien that other spells seem simple in comparison." This defines mysteries as spells again....

"You cast them as though they were arcane spells."

"Whenever you cast a mystery as an arcane spell..."

"Now function as spell-like abilities" so not spells anymore...

It then says at the very very end on page 113
    "Even though as a shadow caster you do not "cast spells" in the traditional sense" This implies that you DO cast spells in some sense, just not in the traditional sense, whatever that is.

So yeh, I just assume this very sheltered designer never read any of the other books or concerned himself with thoughts of how his pretty poorly designed and worded class would interact with the information that might be in them.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Banned

Devil

In the interest for future Comps, can you use classes from OA in place of the Completes - i.e the Samurai, etc.

That Samurai is so different from the CW version.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

In the interest for future Comps, can you use classes from OA in place of the Completes - i.e the Samurai, etc.

Isn't that (and the Shugenja) the only ones affected? IIRC, the other OA classes are Sohei Rager and Shaman (completely different from the Spirit Shaman)

24. - Top - End - #234

Imp

Under Iron Chef rules you have to use the most current version of a class.

Beacuse samurai was reprinted in complete warrior, you have to use the complete warrior version in Iron chef.

P.S. yeh they really ruined samurai with that reprint, but oh well.

25. - Top - End - #235

NecromancerGuy

Isn't that (and the Shugenja) the only ones affected? IIRC, the other OA classes are Sohei Rager and Shaman (completely different from the Spirit Shaman)
    There's also an OA Ninja, which is different than the CAd Ninja.

OA - assuming it isn't the source for the Secret Ingredient - has always fallen into a difficult 'in-between' space for Iron Chef. If you're clear in marking that you're using the OA version, and are willing to accept that some judges may find it inelegant due to the facts that 1)the OA Class probably got remade elsewhere 2) there exists an official (but, for our purposes, off-limits) update to the OA Classes in Dragon, my instinct tells me it's been deemed okay in the past.

If someone has found a previous ruling that contradicts the above, please say so.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    HERESY! Burn the witch!

Also silly D&D and its grandfathering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    HERESY! Burn the witch!

Also silly D&D and its grandfathering.
    Just build a bridge out of me.

Switching to the topic of judges, is IdleMuse still judging? Has anyone else expressed interest in doing so this round?
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-01-26 at 12:57 AM.
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

28. - Top - End - #238
    Halfling in the Playground

I'll throw my hat in as a judge this go round. I've been a lurker for a while and it's about time I contributed.

29. - Top - End - #239

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcouch View Post
    I'll throw my hat in as a judge this go round. I've been a lurker for a while and it's about time I contributed.
    *clap*

I think there is like 8 days left, I wonder who else is judging.
    Last edited by Gotterdammerung; 2013-01-26 at 09:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240

IdleMuse made some promising noises back on page one.

Also, +1 to *clap*, thanks for judging, Darkcouch.