Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Girl Genius XIV: A Lightning Arc in All But Speed!

Welcome to the next installment of the Girl Genius Thread!

Some elegant and finely-crafted links follow:

Links to Previous Threads

Comic Links
    Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip. (Updates MWF @ Midnight [Eastern Time])
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (Updated sporadically)
    A compilation (and much easier to read if you're just catching up) of the entries can be found here at the GG website.
    And if one goes to snapbird.org and types in "Othar" in the 'Who?' field, all of Othar's adventures can be read on one page (albiet in reverse order of posting).
    Mirror of the comic found on LiveJournal (Often will update before the main page is updated, so beware of spoilers)
    Mirror of the comic found on Facebook (Will occasionally have Girl Genius related news)
    And one can find mirrors of Girl Genius on deviantArt as well. (Occasionally Kaja will put up or link to interesting GG related art that is found on dA)

Reference Links
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius.
    The Secret Blueprints (NOTE: Contains background information on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers.)

Social Media and News Links
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Both updated infrequently)
    The News Page on the Girl Genius website. (updated slightly more frequently than the Studio Foglio LJ page)
    Kaja & Phil's Personal Facebook Page (Updated infrequently)
    Links to Webcomic Ranking websites. (Used to have Vote Incentives [sketches, parodies of strips, etc] that were changed daily. Might once again.)
    A twitter account that basically is a catch-all feed for Girl Genius related news.
    Cheyenne Wright's Twitter and LiveJournal Accounts (The colorist's twitter and LJ pages)
    And finally,
    Phil Foglio's LJ page. (hasn't updated in a while)

Sneaky gate: Named from this hidden gate in comic, it has become a name for viewing new comics early. Remember, if you're going to discuss the new comic, put it in spoiler boxes until the release time (12am EST).

Sneaky gating 101;
    1. Right click the comic image.
    2. Select view image or copy paste the image location into the address bar.
    3. Modify the date to be the day you're trying to look at. (ex. 20120111 -> 20120113)
    4. Go to the modified url.
    5. Enjoy the comic!
    6. Alternately, be disappointed when there's no early comic to read.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2013-01-08 at 09:23 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XIV: A Lightning Arc in All But Speed!

Cra-crak boom!
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

How long since the sneaky gate has actually worked?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I was literally about to ask this same question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I remember it worked once a couple of weeks ago.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's still not working..
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

(facepalm) Yeah, that's Gil.... He's just an idiot.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I have no idea who or what this is anymore. It has Gil's emotions, but the IQ and common sense of a lemming. Love may make people do stupid things but it hasn't made Gil THIS dumb before. Something is really off here.

But this may be irrelevant if Franz is back and Agatha just kicked Gil into his arms.

And where IS der Kestle??? It got a spark - it got a MASSIVE spark - why isn't it back being snarky and protecting Agatha? Come on, guy, boot up already!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I have no idea who or what this is anymore. It has Gil's emotions, but the IQ and common sense of a lemming. Love may make people do stupid things but it hasn't made Gil THIS dumb before. Something is really off here.

But this may be irrelevant if Franz is back and Agatha just kicked Gil into his arms.

And where IS der Kestle??? It got a spark - it got a MASSIVE spark - why isn't it back being snarky and protecting Agatha? Come on, guy, boot up already!
    Bah, my computer takes longer than this to reset, im sure it will wake up in a suitably epic fashion at the most dramatic moment possible. Like Gil flips out and body slams franz through the castle roof and just as agatha is falling to her doom, the torch men wake back up and save her.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yep, definitely Gil. I'll note his use of language: "We're trapped." Not "You're trapped." He still considers himself on Agatha's side.

I think that Gil sincerely believes that Agatha has no chance of victory against all the forces arrayed against Mechanicsburg. That's not a completely unreasonable assumption - this maneuver of using the lighting to restart the castle is Agatha's last chance, and Gil knew nothing about it until he was already on the way.

Even if it gets the castle back to 100% power right now, we still don't know if that will be enough - Wulfenbach's forces have been disassembling and sabotaging Mechanicsberg's defenses for years. Even assuming most of those were repaired, after all the battles just in the last few days alone, the fighting has probably wrecked a lot of them.

If Klaus carries through on his threat, he probably has more than enough massed artillery to overwhelm even the castle's (presumed) anti-artillery weapons.

And even if the Castle has enough firepower to actually prevail and destroy an army that size, that would be a Phyrric victory. Wulfenbach's forces were the only thing holding Europa together. Destroying his army might win Mechanicsburg, but the rest would fall into chaos. It's already beginning, in fact.

Any way you look at it, the situation is bad.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GaeasSon View Post
    (facepalm) Yeah, that's Gil.... He's just an idiot.
    Well, today's page actually convinced me otherwise (or at least strenghtened suspicion). It's hard to tell, who initiated the kiss (it does look like Agatha isn't surprised or annoyed by it), but she is for some reason really surprised by the results - something is off with him (aside from all mental deficiencies he exhibits lately). In essence, she might have used Cher's lie detection method.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbey View Post
    Yep, definitely Gil. I'll note his use of language: "We're trapped." Not "You're trapped." He still considers himself on Agatha's side.

I think that Gil sincerely believes that Agatha has no chance of victory against all the forces arrayed against Mechanicsburg. That's not a completely unreasonable assumption - this maneuver of using the lighting to restart the castle is Agatha's last chance, and Gil knew nothing about it until he was already on the way.

Even if it gets the castle back to 100% power right now, we still don't know if that will be enough - Wulfenbach's forces have been disassembling and sabotaging Mechanicsberg's defenses for years. Even assuming most of those were repaired, after all the battles just in the last few days alone, the fighting has probably wrecked a lot of them.

If Klaus carries through on his threat, he probably has more than enough massed artillery to overwhelm even the castle's (presumed) anti-artillery weapons.

And even if the Castle has enough firepower to actually prevail and destroy an army that size, that would be a Phyrric victory. Wulfenbach's forces were the only thing holding Europa together. Destroying his army might win Mechanicsburg, but the rest would fall into chaos. It's already beginning, in fact.

Any way you look at it, the situation is bad.
    Not so much a pyrric victory. Yes the rest of europa would fall into chaos, but by defeating the single largest army on the continent, agatha will have time, no matter how little, to recover and rebuild. She would be able to hold mechanicsburg at that point, and the longer it takes for a serious follow up attack, the harder it will be for her to lose. Seriously, the INSTANT she beats klaus back, she should put her people into full scale rebuild and refit mode. Take 30 seconds to cheer and sigh in relief then get back to work. Finish fixing the castle, keep pumping as much power as you can into its reserves, (since as of now we dont know how much it has or will have when this is over) so it can keep up the defense longer, and pray. After the prayer is over, Agatha can take a second to try and figure out what the hell she is going to do next. Up till now its been, "Go to the castle, it will protect you" Well now she is at the castle, now its protecting her, now what? Where does she go from here?

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

That's the big problem, isn't it? If Agatha is just in the Castle, consolidating her power--well, that'll be tedious to an extent that people will be wishing for the old, broken Castle arc to come back. You kind of think she *has* to lose the Castle, at the very least, even if the battle for Mechanicsburg is won!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well she still needs to stop The Other, who is probably in control of the Wulfenbach Empire. That plus get Lucy out of her head, Find out what happened to her Uncle, get Klaus unwasped, restore peace in Europa, invent Time Travel, help Moloch find his brothers, repel Krosp's inevitable Coup de Tabby, find Skifander, officiate Bang and Vole's wedding, Survive Bang and Vole's honeymoon, turn Castle Heterodyne into a Yurt, fix all the Jaegers, ect ect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That's the big problem, isn't it? If Agatha is just in the Castle, consolidating her power--well, that'll be tedious to an extent that people will be wishing for the old, broken Castle arc to come back. You kind of think she *has* to lose the Castle, at the very least, even if the battle for Mechanicsburg is won!
    Not really. I mean, once the big battle is over, we can stop following every single minute of the day spread across a billion comics. For example, grand finale happens, agatha won and holds mechanicsburg. She gives out her orders to start repairs, then the next comic has her waking up the next day and getting a report. Then they make plans for what to do next and get started on that. It would only get tedious if the foglios stuck with the current model of 350 comics per day.

There IS the possibility of some sort of reality warp happening that sucks her and gil into some time hopping or reality hopping adventure (to make what bang saw way back at the start a reality) but that would honestly strike me as a way to dodge the issue of what the hell will agatha do now that she is the heterodyne.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Not really. I mean, once the big battle is over, we can stop following every single minute of the day spread across a billion comics. For example, grand finale happens, agatha won and holds mechanicsburg. She gives out her orders to start repairs, then the next comic has her waking up the next day and getting a report. Then they make plans for what to do next and get started on that. It would only get tedious if the foglios stuck with the current model of 350 comics per day.

There IS the possibility of some sort of reality warp happening that sucks her and gil into some time hopping or reality hopping adventure (to make what bang saw way back at the start a reality) but that would honestly strike me as a way to dodge the issue of what the hell will agatha do now that she is the heterodyne.
    We are also set to go to Albia at some point, IIRC. That could easily be the next major arc, once Mechanicsburg's cleared up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Do the speech bubbles with the dashes around them mean it's the other speaking?
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's just whisper.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

-- Come on, guy, boot up already!

Somewhere in the castle, a screen patiently prompts:

Code:
    HeteroSoft CastleOS 3.1
    Atomic Batteries to charge [done]
    Turbines to Speed   [done]
    Flux Capacitor (>=1.21Gw) [done]
    Oscillation Overthruster [overthrusting]
    Dyne influx charging    [active]
    Loading Personality Matrix (/local/bin/Faustus03_conf)  [done]
    Heterodyne Recognition Matrix [done]
    New Hardware Found!  Press F1 to continue...

On another subject I LOVE the "Abandon Thread" snail. He makes me very happy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GaeasSon View Post
    -- Come on, guy, boot up already!

Somewhere in the castle, a screen patiently prompts:

Code:
    HeteroSoft CastleOS 3.1
    Atomic Batteries to charge [done]
    Turbines to Speed   [done]
    Flux Capacitor (>=1.21Gw) [done]
    Oscillation Overthruster [overthrusting]
    Dyne influx charging    [active]
    Loading Personality Matrix (/local/bin/Faustus03_conf)  [done]
    Heterodyne Recognition Matrix [done]
    New Hardware Found!  Press F1 to continue...

On another subject I LOVE the "Abandon Thread" snail. He makes me very happy.
    Lol.

And yeah, I saved him to my awesome pics folder. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Rocket Snail is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, who has Gil?

even money : Franz
    2-1 : The Castle
    5-1: The Boys
    10-1 : Othar
    A long surcote of pers upon he hade, / And by his syde he baar a rusty blade. - Chaucer

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to go with the unexpected and say Higgs.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

Faith: 6.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Another thread title nailed. Feels good.

My guess is Zeetha. [/leftfield]

Othar's a pretty good one too, gotta admit.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

I wonder if Agatha will realize that Gil is no longer on Castle Wulfenbach, and as such she is free to blow it out of the sky?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    I wonder if Agatha will realize that Gil is no longer on Castle Wulfenbach, and as such she is free to blow it out of the sky?
    With what? Franz and his flying bike?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Not to mention, Castle Wulfenbach could well be miles away--Gil obviously got to the town on some sort of smaller craft.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

New comic
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, next page is going to be the Super Mega Annihilator Cannons powering up, or something like that...

The way the Castle's talking, it's not just conscious again but believes it is capable of significant - gloat-worthy, even - intervention. After its previous admission of being all drained for the next few years, I doubt it would reverse that stance without having checked, so I'm pretty confident Agatha's scheme worked. The only question is in what way Agatha is going to wind up regretting giving it such an enthusiastic carte blanche authorization.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I really liked the Castle's callback to his previous prediction
    Lolth is so scary that even in TO, "having to be touched by Lolth" is recognized as a serious drawback for Lolth-touched.
    Ongoing Playtests:      The Avowed
    Handbooks:    Disregard Money, Acquire Buff Spells: Artificers without the Artifice E6 Plot Magic

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Someone needs to turn Agatha's happy dance into an animated gif.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show