Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    In line with my other fixes, here is my Warlock Fix.

    This fix is aimed at giving the Warlock more flexibility, a bit more survivability, and letting its damage output scale in a similar fashion to melee characters. The goal is to bump the Tier 4 Warlock up to Tier 3.

    Summary of Changes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Warlock gains a d8 Hit Dice, more skill points, the ability to make iterative attacks with Eldritch Blast, more Invocations Essences, and Shapes, as well as a marginally better DR and Eldritch Damage scaling.


    Warlock

    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Invocations|Eldritch Essence
    1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Eldritch Blast 1d6, Least Invocations|2|1
    2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Detect Magic|2|1
    3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Eldritch Blast 2d6, Damage Reduction 1/Cold Iron|3|1
    4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Deceive Item|3|2
    5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Eldritch Blast 3d6|4|2
    6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Lesser Invocations, Damage Reduction 2/Cold Iron|4|2
    7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Eldritch Blast 4d6|5|3
    8th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Fiendish Resilience 1|5|3
    9th|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Eldritch Blast 5d6, Damage Reduction 3/Cold Iron|6|3
    10th|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Energy Resistance 5|6|4
    11th|+8/+3|+3|+3|+7|Eldritch Blast 6d6, Greater Invocations, |7|4
    12th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Imbue Item, Damage Reduction 4/Cold Iron|7|4
    13th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Eldritch Blast 7d6, Fiendish Resilience 2|8|5
    14th|+10/+5|+4|+4|+9|Arcane Sight|8|5
    15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+5|+9|Eldritch Blast 8d6, Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron|9|5
    16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Dark Invocation|9|6
    17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Eldritch Blast 9d6|10|6
    18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+11|Fiendish Resilience 5, Damage Reduction 6/Cold Iron|10|6
    19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Eldritch Blast 10d6, |11|7
    20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Energy Resistance 10, Eldritch Versatility|11|7[/table]

    Alignment: Any evil or any chaotic.
    Hit Die: d8

    Class Skills: The warlock's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff(Cha), Diplomacy(Cha), Hide(Dex),Intimidate(Cha), Jump(Str), Knowledge Arcana(Int), Knowledge The Planes(Int), Knowledge Religion(Int), Move Silently(Dex), Profession(Wis), Sense Motive(Wis), Spellcraft(Int), and Use Magic Device(Cha).
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (4+ Int modifier) x 4.
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level:: 4+ Int modifier.

    Class Features
    All of the Following are class features of the warlock.

    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Warlocks are proficient with all simple weapons and a singled handed martial weapon of their choice. They are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

    Because the somatic components required for warlock invocations are relatively simple, a warlock an use any of his invocations while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like arcane spellcasters, a warlock wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure (all invocations, including eldritch blast, have a somatic component). A multiclass warlock still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from levels in other classes.

    Invocations: A warlock does not prepare or cast spells as other wielders of arcane magic do. Instead, he possess a repertoire of attacks, defenses, and abilities known as invocations that require him to focus the wild energy that suffuses his soul. A warlock can use any invocation he knows at will, with the following qualifications.

    A warlock's invocations are spell-like abilities, using an invocation is therefore a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. An invocation can be disrupted just as a spell can be ruined during casting. A warlock is entitled to a Concentration check to successfully use an invocation if he is hit by an attack while invoking, just as a spellcaster would be. A warlock can choose to use an invocation defensively by making a successful Concentration check, to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity. A warlock's invocations are subject to spell resistance unless an invocation's description specifically states otherwise. A warlock's caster level with his invocations is equal to his warlock level.

    The save DC for an invocation (if it allows a save) is 10+ equivelent spell level + the warlock's Charisma modifier. Since spell-like abilitiers are not not actually spells a warlock cannot benefit from the Spell Focus feat. He can, however benefit from the Ability Focus feat(see page 303 of the Monster Manual), as well as from feats that emulates metamagic effects for spell-like abilities, such as quicken Spell-Like Ability and Empower Spell-Like Ability(see pages 303 and 304 of the Monster Manual).

    The four grades of invocations, in order of their relative power, are least, lesser, greater, and dark. A warlock begins with knowledge of two invocations, which must be of the lowest grade (least). As a warlock gains levels, he learns new invocations, as summarized on Table 1–1 and described below. A list of available invocations can be found following this class description, and a complete description of each invocation can be found in Chapter 4 of this book. At any level when a warlock learns a new invocation, he can also replace an invocation he already knows with another invocation. At 6th level, a warlock can replace a least invocation he knows with a different least invocation (in addition to learning a new invocation, which could be either least or lesser). At 11th level, a warlock can replace a least or lesser invocation he knows with another invocation of the same or a lower grade (in addition to learning a new invocation, which could be least, lesser, or greater). At 16th level, a warlock can replace a least, lesser, or greater invocation he knows with another invocation of the same or a lower grade (in addition to learning a new invocation, which could be least, lesser, greater, or dark).

    Finally, unlike other spell-like abilities, invocations
    are subject to arcane spell failure chance as described under Weapon and Armor Proficiency above. Warlocks can qualify for some prestige classes usually intended for spellcasters; see Warlocks and Prestige Classes, page 18,
    for details.

    Eldritch Essence: As a warlock gains in power he gains the ability to alter the essence and shape of his eldritch blast. Starting at 1st level the Warlock can choose one Eldritch Essence Invocation or one Eldritch Shape Invocation in addition to their normal allotment of Invocations. At 4th level and every three levels thereafter the Warlock can select an additional Essence or Shape Invocation as indicated on the class table. The warlock still must abide by all invocation level restrictions when selecting these additional essences and shapes.

    Eldritch Blast (Sp): The first ability a warlock learns is eldritch blast. A warlock attacks his foes with eldritch power, using baleful magical energy to deal damage and sometimes impart other debilitating effects. An eldritch blast is a ray with a range of 60 feet. It is a ranged touch attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw. An eldritch blast deals 1d6 points of damage at 1st level and increases in power as the warlock rises in level. An
    eldritch blast is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to one-half the warlock’s class level (round down), with a minimum spell level of 1st and a maximum of 8th when a warlock reaches 16th level or higher. In addition to its use as a standard action the Warlock may make a full attack action with an Eldritch Blast gaining all iterative attacks based upon their Base Attack Bonus. These iterative blast's damage is reduced by a d6 per iterative attack made to a maximum of three blasts each dealing 8d6 damage. Each blast must have the same essence and shape of the others. Iterative blasts cannot force multiple saves for the same effect.

    An eldritch blast is subject to spell resistance, although the Spell Penetration feat and other effects that improve caster level checks to overcome spell resistance also apply to eldritch blast. An eldritch blast deals half damage to objects. Metamagic feats cannot improve a warlock’s eldritch blast (because it is a spell-like ability, not a spell). However, the feat Ability Focus (eldritch blast) increases the DC for all saving throws (if any) associated with a arlock’s eldritch blast by 2. See page 303 of the Monster Manual.

    Detect Magic (Sp): Beginning at 2nd level, a warlock can use detect magic as the spell at will. His caster level equals his class level.

    Damage Reduction (Su): Fortified bby the supernatural power flowing in his body, a warlock becomes resistant to physical attacks at 3rd level and above, gaining damage reduction 1/cold iron. At 6th level and every three levels thereafter, a warlock's damage reduction improves as shown on Table 1-1.

    Deceive Item (Ex): At 4th level and higher, a warlock has the ability to more easily commandeer magic items made for the use of other characters. When making a Use Magic Device check, a warlock can take 10 even if distracted or threatened.

    Fiendish Resilience (Su): Beginning at 8th level, a warlock knows the trick of fiendish resilience Once per day, as a free action, he can enter a state that lasts for 2 minutes. While in this state, the warlock gains fast healing 1.

    At 13th level, a warlock's fiendish resilience improves. When in his fiendish resilience state, he gains fast healing 2 instead. At 18th level, a warlock's fiendish resilience improves to fast healing 5.

    Energy Resistance (Su): At 10th level and higher a warlock has resistance 5 against any two of the following energy types: acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic. Once the types are chosen this energy resistance cannot be changed. At 20th level, a warlock gains resistance 10 against the two selected types of energy.

    Imbue Item (Su): A warlock of 12th level or higher can use his supernatural power to create magic items, even if he doesn't not know the spells required to make an item(although he must know the appropriate item creation feat). He can substitute Use Magic Device Check(DC 15+spell level or arcane spells or 25+ spell level for divine spells) in place of a required spell he doesn't know or can't cast.

    If the check succeeds, the warlock can create the item as if he had cast the required spell. If it fails, he cannot complete the item. He doesn't expend the XP or gp costs for making the item; his progress is simply arrested. He cannot retry this Use Magic Device check for that spell until he gains a new level.

    Arcane Sight (Sp): Beginning at 14th level, a warlock can use arcane sight as the spell at will. His caster level equals his class level

    Eldritch Versatility: At 20th level the Warlock cast use any invocation, but using an invocation the Warlock does not know requires a full round action. Eldritch Versatility cannot be used to shorten the casting time of any Invocation, any Invocation with a casting time greater than a full round action retains its casting time.

    ACF's
    Spoiler
    Show


    Dragonfire Adept

    Level: 1st
    Gains: Immunity to Sleep and Pralysis at 19th Level.
    Changes: Alignment, Eldritch blast, Damage Reduction, Invocations, Essenses and Shapes.
    Alignment: Becomes Any
    Eldritch Balst becomes Breath Weapon.
    Damage Reduction: /Cold Iron becomes /Magic. Also, a Dragonfire Adept gains a Natural Armor bonus equal to his Damage Reduction Value.
    Invocations: The Dragonfire Adept uses Dragonfire Adept Invocations located in Dragon Magic.
    Essences and Shapes: Becomes Breath Effects.
    All references to "Fiendish" "Eldritch" or "Infernal" become "Draconic".

    Breath Weapon (Su): At 1st level, you gain a breath weapon that you can use at will as a standard action. Once your BAB allows for iterative attacks you may make multiple Breath Weapon Attacks as a Full Round Action. Each Breath must use the same breath effcts. Each time you use your breath weapon, you can choose whether it takes the form of a 15-foot cone or a 30-foot line. This breath weapon deals 1d6 points of fire damage; a successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + your Con modifier) halves the damage. As you gain levels, your breath weapon's damage increases, as shown on Table 2-1.

    You are immune to the effect of your own breath weapon (but not to other breath weapons that produce similar effects, even those of other dragonfire adepts).

    At 10th level, your cone-shaped breath weapon's range doubles to 30 feet, and your line-shaped breath weapon's range doubles to 60 feet.

    Invocations
    Spoiler
    Show
    Draconic Invocations

    Each draconic invocation falls into one of four grades: least, lesser, greater, or dark. These invocations are briefly described below. See Chapter 3: Draconic Magic for full descriptions.

    Least Invocations

    Aquatic Adaptation: Breathe and use breath weapon underwater; gain swim speed.

    Beguiling Influence: Gain bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks.

    Breath of the Night: Create a fog cloud as the spell.

    Darkness: Create darkness as the spell.

    Deafening Roar: Cone of sound deafens creatures.

    Draconic Knowledge: Gain bonus on Knowledge and Spellcraft checks.

    Endure Exposure: Use endure elements as the spell; target gains immunity to your breath weapon.

    Magic Insight: Detect magical auras; identify magic items.

    Scalding Gust: Use gust of wind as the spell; any creature in area takes fire damage equal to your level.

    See the Unseen: Gain darkvision; gain see invisibility as the spell.

    Lesser Invocations

    Charm: Cause a single creature to regard you as a friend.

    Draconic Flight: Sprout wings and fly at good maneuverability; fly longer overland.

    Energy Resistance: Gain resistance 10 to acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic damage.

    Enthralling Voice: Enthrall nearby creatures.

    Frightful Presence: Make nearby creatures shaken.

    Humanoid Shape: Take the form of any humanoid creature.

    Voidsense: Gain blindsense 30 feet.

    Voracious Dispelling: Use dispel magic as the spell, dealing damage to creatures whose effects are dispelled.

    Walk Unseen: Use invisibility (self only) as the spell.

    Greater Invocations

    Aura of Flame: Aura deals fire damage to creatures that strike you.

    Baleful Geas: A single creature becomes your servant, but slowly sickens and dies.

    Chilling Fog: Create solid fog that deals cold damage.

    Devour Magic: Use targeted greater dispel magic with a touch and gain temporary hit points based on the level of the spell successfully dispelled.

    Draconic Toughness: Gain temporary hit points equal to your level.

    Terrifying Roar: Use fear as the spell; creatures shaken by effect can't attack you.

    Wingstorm: Create powerful gusts of wind with your invocation-granted wings.

    Dark Invocations

    Draconic Flight, Greater: Sprout wings and fly at perfect maneuverability; gain overland speed.

    Energy Immunity: Gain immunity to acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic damage.

    Instill Vulnerability: Make target creature vulnerable to specified energy type.

    Perilous Veil: Use veil as the spell; anyone succeeding on Will save to negate the illusion takes damage.



    Table 2-2: Dragonfire Adept Breath Effects

    Minimum Level Breath Effect Benefit
    2nd Frost Breath Cone-shaped breath weapon deals cold damage
    2nd Lightning Breath Line-shaped breath weapon deals electricity damage
    2nd Sickening Breath Cone-shaped breath weapon sickens creatures
    5th Acid Breath Breath weapon deals acid damage
    5th Shaped Breath Create safe zones in your breath weapon's area
    5th Slow Breath Cone-shaped breath weapon slows creatures
    5th Weakening Breath Cone-shaped breath weapon imposes -6 penalty to Strength
    10th Cloud Breath Breath weapon can take form of 20-foot radius cloud
    10th Enduring Breath Breath weapon deals damage over 2 rounds
    10th Sleep Breath Cone-shaped breath weapon puts weak creatures to sleep
    10th Thunder Breath Cone-shaped breath weapon deals sonic damage
    15th Discorporating Breath of Bahamut Line-shaped breath weapon deals double damage, disintegrates creatures
    15th Force Breath Line-shaped breath weapon deals force damage
    15th Paralyzing Breath Cone-shaped breath weapon paralyzes creatures for 1 round
    15th Fivefold Breath of Tiamat Breathe five different breath weapons simultaneously


    Last edited by Zman; 2013-02-09 at 11:29 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Change Log:

    1-13-13
    Added Eldritch Versatility Capstone
    Modified Capstone
    Added Arcane Sight

    1-16-13
    Reduced Iterative blast damage and limit to single essence

    2-9-13
    Added Dragonfire Adept ACF
    Last edited by Zman; 2013-02-09 at 11:30 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bobthe6th's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Under the midnight sun
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    utterly dead level at 14.
    why did you cap spell level at 8?

    also the energy resistance is just sad. would be better as either a) energy resistance against all the elements listed, or b)boosted to 30 at first get and immunity at 20.

    DR should scale better then linear, as most damage is doing the same. something like 1,2,4,6,10,14? with magic added at 9(becoming magic and cold iron), and epic added at 18...
    Avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

    my home brew. you should PEACH them...
    Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by bobthe6th View Post
    utterly dead level at 14.
    why did you cap spell level at 8?

    also the energy resistance is just sad. would be better as either a) energy resistance against all the elements listed, or b)boosted to 30 at first get and immunity at 20.

    DR should scale better then linear, as most damage is doing the same. something like 1,2,4,6,10,14? with magic added at 9(becoming magic and cold iron), and epic added at 18...
    Thanks for the quick response.

    A single dead level on a fix of an official class isn't that bad.

    My line of fixes removes 9th level spells from normal 20 level play. See my signature for the other classes.

    I left the energy Resistence as normal for Warlock, I'm not opposed to changing it, bit 30 then immunity is a bit much. More likely 5/10/15 maybe even 20.

    I have DR as being better than standard, but don't think it needs to be quite that high. 1/3/5/7/9/11 wouldn't be bad.

    As always, I like starting small with what I see as the core problems with a class then working outwards. If something standard is ok and not extremely limiting I'll usually keep it.

    Edit: I'm also honking of adding something for 20h level. But I don't want to increase power anymore as I feel it's certainly got enough raw power now.
    Last edited by Zman; 2013-01-13 at 04:52 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    This is by far the greatest fix youve done for any classes so far. In my opinion.

    In my mind what held the warlock back were 2 things.

    1) Lack of versatility in his Invocations

    and 2) His main damage source being completely sub-par to anything else that can deal damage.

    You took care of 1 perfectly just by splitting Invocations into standard and blast focused ones and adding some more invocations known.

    You too care of 2 amazingly by not only getting rid fo the weird-as-hell progression the warlock first had (every odd level then out of nowhere every 3rd level.. sometimes I just want to hit those WoTC guys) not only that.. but allowing them iterative attacks with it.. now they can actually deal damage with their eldritch blast which is what the class was supposed to do from the start.

    and dint; the walrock alwasy have d8 HP.. or ave I been doing it wrong all these years? (ps I have my own Warlock created class that is 13 pages long... but when playing with people who don't want to play my created classes I alwasy thought the warlock had d8s....)

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    This fix solves most of the basic problems, particularly with the irritive attacks addition. If you need more power, there are plenty of other fixes.

    As for a capstone that grants power outside of raw power, how about versitility, in the form of either additional invocations [as it only gets increased energy resistance, which is a little pointless and completely overshadowed] or 1+ floating invocations/shapes that can be reasigned each day.
    Or just the ability to swap around invocations on a day/week/other basis. Or the ability to 'Study' invocations and swap learned ones with ones remembered.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.


    Life is Hectic.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bobthe6th's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Under the midnight sun
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    Thanks for the quick response.
    no problem.

    A single dead level on a fix of an official class isn't that bad.
    it is still a dead level. Doesn't even have an invocation to redeem it.

    My line of fixes removes 9th level spells from normal 20 level play. See my signature for the other classes.
    well, for eldrich blast it is messing with DCs and spell absorption...
    I honestly would let it scale to 20 as a 10th level, as the warlock is using eldrich powers beyond mortal keen... and so should be better at blowing through things that stop magic/use magic as a power source.

    I left the energy Resistence as normal for Warlock, I'm not opposed to changing it, bit 30 then immunity is a bit much. More likely 5/10/15 maybe even 20.
    just remember most energy damage is in 1d6/ecl form, so 7 average per two levels. stopping 5 is kinda nice for level 2-4... but at level to it stops almost nothing. on top of that it is just two types... I strongly suggest adding all the damage types or giving a serious boost to the power gain.

    I have DR as being better than standard, but don't think it needs to be quite that high. 1/3/5/7/9/11 wouldn't be bad.
    eh, 3 point difference, as you smooth the scaling in the beginning and don't speed it up in the end.


    Edit: I'm also honking of adding something for 20h level. But I don't want to increase power anymore as I feel it's certainly got enough raw power now.
    how about gate, but planer travel version only, as an SLA that costs some ability burn?
    Avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

    my home brew. you should PEACH them...
    Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    This is by far the greatest fix youve done for any classes so far. In my opinion.

    In my mind what held the warlock back were 2 things.

    1) Lack of versatility in his Invocations

    and 2) His main damage source being completely sub-par to anything else that can deal damage.

    You took care of 1 perfectly just by splitting Invocations into standard and blast focused ones and adding some more invocations known.

    You too care of 2 amazingly by not only getting rid fo the weird-as-hell progression the warlock first had (every odd level then out of nowhere every 3rd level.. sometimes I just want to hit those WoTC guys) not only that.. but allowing them iterative attacks with it.. now they can actually deal damage with their eldritch blast which is what the class was supposed to do from the start.

    and dint; the walrock alwasy have d8 HP.. or ave I been doing it wrong all these years? (ps I have my own Warlock created class that is 13 pages long... but when playing with people who don't want to play my created classes I alwasy thought the warlock had d8s....)
    Thanks Ngilop, we agree completely with what the Warlock's main problems were.

    And yes, it's standard hit dice is a d6.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    This fix solves most of the basic problems, particularly with the irritive attacks addition. If you need more power, there are plenty of other fixes.

    As for a capstone that grants power outside of raw power, how about versitility, in the form of either additional invocations [as it only gets increased energy resistance, which is a little pointless and completely overshadowed] or 1+ floating invocations/shapes that can be reasigned each day.
    Or just the ability to swap around invocations on a day/week/other basis. Or the ability to 'Study' invocations and swap learned ones with ones remembered.
    One thing Im sure of is the class won't need more power, that is for certain. And if it doesn't it's the other classes which are breaking things.

    Added Eldritch Versatility as a Capstone.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grod_The_Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    I really like 90% of this. The boosted HD is good, I always love the invocation/essence split (I do it myself), and allowing full attacks with EB solves the damage problem perfectly and elegantly.

    But... I don't like Eldrich Versatility. It cheapens the choices you've made all along, and makes all warlocks virtually identical at 20th. How about, instead, the ability to apply two eldrich essences simultaneously?

    For the DR, how about 2/4/6/8/10? Nice, even progression.

    Also, I do encourage you to think up something for 14th level. Maybe Arcane Sight at will, as an upgrade of Detect Magic? Shuffle Fiendish Resilience around to plug the gap (8-14-20)?

    STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

    Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    I really like 90% of this. The boosted HD is good, I always love the invocation/essence split (I do it myself), and allowing full attacks with EB solves the damage problem perfectly and elegantly.

    But... I don't like Eldrich Versatility. It cheapens the choices you've made all along, and makes all warlocks virtually identical at 20th. How about, instead, the ability to apply two eldrich essences simultaneously?

    For the DR, how about 2/4/6/8/10? Nice, even progression.

    Also, I do encourage you to think up something for 14th level. Maybe Arcane Sight at will, as an upgrade of Detect Magic? Shuffle Fiendish Resilience around to plug the gap (8-14-20)?
    Ok, I see your Point about Eldritch Versatility cheapening the choices made earlier. I'll keep thinking. Could be all "Other Incocations" are granted.

    Extra could help, but I don't see it as necessary.. How about I keep it where it is and just make it stackable with other forms of DR?

    Now one thing I do not like it adding multiple essences to a blast, power has already been increased quite a bit.

    I do like Arcane Sight, that could be used well enough. I disagree that a class can't have any "dead levels" and feel the concept is often taken too far bloating classes.

    Edit:. Modified the capstone to avoid lessening the other choices.
    Last edited by Zman; 2013-01-13 at 06:10 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    ...
    With that Eldritch Versatility [Which does make sense] and the huge amount of homebrew, I might take it over other ones with more powerful other class features, just for the 'Any Invocation as a Full Round Action'.
    Also, put in a clause for invocations that take more than a full round action.

    But then again, these two are only for homebrew invocations.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.


    Life is Hectic.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    I think a better captstone would be to switch out a number of Invocations known equal to Int Modifier per day.

    Like how a wizard can swap spells every day

    now the warlock can swap some of his invocations.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    ...
    With that Eldritch Versatility [Which does make sense] and the huge amount of homebrew, I might take it over other ones with more powerful other class features, just for the 'Any Invocation as a Full Round Action'.
    Also, put in a clause for invocations that take more than a full round action.

    But then again, these two are only for homebrew invocations.
    Ok, will add a clause that doesn't shorten any invocations in this way.

    Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    I think a better captstone would be to switch out a number of Invocations known equal to Int Modifier per day.

    Like how a wizard can swap spells every day

    now the warlock can swap some of his invocations.
    That seems more complicated then I want. If I'm granting them the ability to get any Invocation, I like this way better.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Kane0's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Waterdeep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    I like your Eldritch Versatility. Seems like a good capstone.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    I like your Eldritch Versatility. Seems like a good capstone.
    Thank you.



    Currently I'm worried about damage output, I feel adding the Iterative attacks will increase the damage output too high at higher levels, 15+. Especially since many of my other fixes are aimed at decreasing the absurd amounts of damage other classes are capable of.

    I'm wondering if my added versatility, and only adding a second Eldritch Blast is enough? I think I'll add a clause that decreases the adamage of each Eldritch blast for 2d6 per iterative attack and forces all of them to use the same shapes and essences.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    nonsi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    Currently I'm worried about damage output, I feel adding the Iterative attacks will increase the damage output too high at higher levels, 15+. Especially since many of my other fixes are aimed at decreasing the absurd amounts of damage other classes are capable of.

    I'm wondering if my added versatility, and only adding a second Eldritch Blast is enough? I think I'll add a clause that decreases the adamage of each Eldritch blast for 2d6 per iterative attack and forces all of them to use the same shapes and essences.
    The problem is not damage.
    The problem is that how much a warlock can squeeze out of Deceive Item and Imbue Item is determined mostly by how the DM runs his/her campaign.
    If the DM hands out items like candy and allows all the downtime players desire, a high level warlock can be a loose cannonball.
    If, otoh, the DM is stingy and doesn't allow much downtime, these two features are next to useless.

    I personally don't like class features that are subject to DMs fiat, so I changed them in my Warlock remake (also, creation goesn't mix well with the notion of innate magical capabilities, as opposed to studied magical capabilities).

    Regarding your proposed invocations' progression...
    Notice that your warlock is entitled to lesser invocations at 6th, but gets none (and I don't see anything regarding retraining). Also, at 16th only essences are available to choose from.
    I'd advise using my proposed progression, which guarantees a new invocation each level (any at the pivotal levels 6, 11 and 16).
    Also, there's no reason why your rightmost column shouldn't also apply for blast shapes, giving a players a bit more room to maneuver their character build.

    Eldritch Versatility is one hell of a boon, but notice that it doesn't leave anything to expect for when going epic (and what about homebrew invocations?).
    I'm not really sure it's necessary.
    Starting at 6th level, a warlock who so wishes could take Extra Invocations, for a total of 5 extra by 18th level.
    Add the extra 3 invocations (should you adopt me suggested progression) and you get a total of 26 invocations - more than enough versatility - especially if you'd allow retraining.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    The problem is not damage.
    The problem is that how much a warlock can squeeze out of Deceive Item and Imbue Item is determined mostly by how the DM runs his/her campaign.
    If the DM hands out items like candy and allows all the downtime players desire, a high level warlock can be a loose cannonball.
    If, otoh, the DM is stingy and doesn't allow much downtime, these two features are next to useless.

    I personally don't like class features that are subject to DMs fiat, so I changed them in my Warlock remake (also, creation goesn't mix well with the notion of innate magical capabilities, as opposed to studied magical capabilities).

    Regarding your proposed invocations' progression...
    Notice that your warlock is entitled to lesser invocations at 6th, but gets none (and I don't see anything regarding retraining). Also, at 16th only essences are available to choose from.
    I'd advise using my proposed progression, which guarantees a new invocation each level (any at the pivotal levels 6, 11 and 16).
    Also, there's no reason why your rightmost column shouldn't also apply for blast shapes, giving a players a bit more room to maneuver their character build.

    Eldritch Versatility is one hell of a boon, but notice that it doesn't leave anything to expect for when going epic (and what about homebrew invocations?).
    I'm not really sure it's necessary.
    Starting at 6th level, a warlock who so wishes could take Extra Invocations, for a total of 5 extra by 18th level.
    Add the extra 3 invocations (should you adopt me suggested progression) and you get a total of 26 invocations - more than enough versatility - especially if you'd allow retraining.
    Retraining Invocation is under Invocation, one per level as usual.

    Eldritch Essence allows you to close an Essence or Shape.

    Deceive Item and Imbure Item are powerful, but all magical crafting ca unbalance a campaign if thenDM let's it. This isn't new, nor drastically different than other crafters.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    nonsi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    Retraining Invocation is under Invocation, one per level as usual.

    Eldritch Essence allows you to close an Essence or Shape.

    Deceive Item and Imbure Item are powerful, but all magical crafting ca unbalance a campaign if thenDM let's it. This isn't new, nor drastically different than other crafters.
    Can your Warlock fire iterative Eldritch Chain/Cone/Doom ?
    If so, this could be problematic (multiple invocations vs. multiple foes).

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    Can your Warlock fire iterative Eldritch Chain/Cone/Doom ?
    If so, this could be problematic (multiple invocations vs. multiple foes).
    Yes, currently I've not put restrictions on the Iterative Eldritch blasts and need to do so. I will be once I iron out the details in my head.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    nonsi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    A suggestion that will make your table a lot more friendly on the eyes:

    1. Display "Eldritch Blast" only at 1st level and either settle for the description for damage progression or make a separate column for EB damage.

    2. Note "Least"/"Lesser"/"Greater"/"Dark" in the Invocations column.

    3. Stomach levels 5/7/16/17/19 having no features or find something nice to put in them.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grod_The_Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    The single-target iteratives aren't bad. After all, you're hitting for what, 20,30d6 at level 20? An average of 60-90 damage? You're probably fine.

    Eldrich Essences should be OK (though you should specify that hitting the same target more than once doesn't stack), but I would be leery of full attacks with Blast Shapes.

    STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

    Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    nonsi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    The single-target iteratives aren't bad. After all, you're hitting for what, 20,30d6 at level 20? An average of 60-90 damage? You're probably fine.

    Eldrich Essences should be OK (though you should specify that hitting the same target more than once doesn't stack), but I would be leery of full attacks with Blast Shapes.
    Ok, you have a point there.
    Single target iteratives indeed appear to be fine, but should one allow Hideous Blow and Eldritch Spear to be applied to iteratives ?

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    A suggestion that will make your table a lot more friendly on the eyes:

    1. Display "Eldritch Blast" only at 1st level and either settle for the description for damage progression or make a separate column for EB damage.

    2. Note "Least"/"Lesser"/"Greater"/"Dark" in the Invocations column.

    3. Stomach levels 5/7/16/17/19 having no features or find something nice to put in them.
    1. The table is nearly the same as the Official class, I would prefer to keep the differences minimal for familiarity's sake.

    2. Noted on the class itself. I may alter the level somewhat to allow for a new Invocation selected.

    3. I have no problem with this, as all but one of those levels the class gains additional Eldritch blast damage. Adding a host of other features would be unnecessary, bloat the class, and is against the mission and vision of my fixes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    The single-target iteratives aren't bad. After all, you're hitting for what, 20,30d6 at level 20? An average of 60-90 damage? You're probably fine.

    Eldrich Essences should be OK (though you should specify that hitting the same target more than once doesn't stack), but I would be leery of full attacks with Blast Shapes.
    At lvl 20 we'd be looking at 90-120 Damage assuming hits with touch attacks(not a stretch), probably acid with additional damage per turn after. That's getting a bit high and makes me nervous. Especially with Hellfire Warlock. I think it needs to be capped at two attacks, or make all the attacks weaker. Still thinking. And that's before Maximize Spelllike Ability, Empower Spelllike Ability and all of the other ways Warlocks have gotten good at boosting damage.

    Yes, i need a clause that limits stacking, or limits to the effects and shapes.

    Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    Ok, you have a point there.
    Single target iteratives indeed appear to be fine, but should one allow Hideous Blow and Eldritch Spear to be applied to iteratives ?
    I think Hideous Blow and Eldritch Soear are fine with Iteratives, but as noted earlier, his estimated damage is low by ~50%.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Reduced iterative blast damage and limited it to a single essence and no multiple saves.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grod_The_Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    At lvl 20 we'd be looking at 90-120 Damage assuming hits with touch attacks(not a stretch).
    90-120? That's... err... 25-34 dice; 30-40 dice using less precise "average of 3" rules. The warlock only gets 3 iteratives and caps out at 10d6.

    STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

    Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Zman's Warlock Fix(3.5)

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    90-120? That's... err... 25-34 dice; 30-40 dice using less precise "average of 3" rules. The warlock only gets 3 iteratives and caps out at 10d6.
    Average of a d6 roll is 3.5((1+6)/2). So I used the average range of a 3-4 on a d6. Yields 90-120 on 30d6, average of 105.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •