Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default A wizard offers you a deal.

You can wake up tomorrow morning as your favorite RPG character you've ever played, at the inn or wherever you started your first campaign.

Give up your old life, everyone you know and love won't be affected by your abscence.

Deal or no deal?

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: A wizard offers you a deal.

Deal. Immortality (which he'd have) is worth any sacrifice. Magic and a cool world with things to be discovered is a nice bonus on top.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felandria View Post
    You can wake up tomorrow morning as your favorite RPG character you've ever played, at the inn or wherever you started your first campaign.

Give up your old life, everyone you know and love won't be affected by your abscence.

Deal or no deal?
    I wake up as a 9th level Archivist in a small library (up to 5th level spells) near a landmark similar to Stonehenge called a "Touchstone".

Hmmm... Yeah... I'd do it
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Deal i get to be an immortal superpowered mage.
    If necromancy is wrong i dont want to be right.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

On one hand, that character is a paladin, and I don't know if I have the moral fortitude to actually *be* a paladin. On the other hand, that character found the love of his life and married her, which is better than I have done so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

No deal. I love my family and I wouldn't trade spending my life with them for anything.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Before time skip?

An 19'th level elven wizard, protector of the land, right hand of the sultan and owner of atleast three fiefdoms

After time skip

A 500 year old elven wizard of >20 levels, owner of half the desert kingdoms and the right hand man of the sultan with no telling how many wives, children and grandchildren.

Ah. Azif Aram al Rashid... I miss you.
    My friends hated him, I played him pretty much like Flanders without the religious influence. If you ever see a desert elf who shouts Hi, neighbor!, run.

Hell yes, I'd take that deal...
    Last edited by Asheram; 2013-01-13 at 06:18 PM.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

I roll to disbelieve the Wizard.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I find out what the catch is, and if they tell me there isn't one, they're lying.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story | My Steam Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Deal. Sanity and morality be damned. First level sorc who took over half the civilized world by level 5, and then became a dragon by level 10. Beats an English major.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Only if I can take my wife with me.

Though tbh, I'd be more than a little suspicious of what's in it for the wizard.

Also, a wizard in front of me means that magic is real. I'm gonna have to find me some resources on the subject and figure out how to do it myself.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

My favorite character sold his sanity, his soul, his honour, his laughter, his flesh, his mind and his friends in an endless stream of celestial schemes in a vain, hopless grab for power, leaving him a withered, broken thing, alone and hated, scrambling to escape his debtors, whom he had promised far to much, only to be killed by those he betrayed, his soul ripped to pieces and fought over by al manner of demons, broken gods and twisted darkness until the end of time.
    So, no, not really. Also, who would feed my cat if I disappeared?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"Never trust a wizard."

Plus I don't know which character I'd pick. Conventional wisdom says "the most powerful one," but the more powerful characters come with more dangerous baggage.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I'd end up being a 76 year old woman in the late 1920s. I'd have a shaky sanity, would have seen most of my friends die or be driven mad, and would have awful, but necessary acts on my conscience, including torture, murder, and the deaths of numerous innocents through my mistakes and actions. I would have the essential knowledge that the Cthulhu Mythos exists and would have recently lost my religious faith. I would have extremely powerful and incredibly angry enemies, some of whom are immortal, and at least one of whom is a god.

However, I would also know magical spells, be an expert markswoman, and be extremely wealthy. I would have the gratitude of the future ruler of Kenya and the authorities in Japan, Shanghai, England and my native USA, where I would also be something of a celebrity, not to mention various other powerful and influential groups. I would have the satisfaction of having saved countless lives and stopped numerous unspeakable evils, and having had the adventure of a lifetime. I would have the allegiance of a cult of the goddess Bast and possibly the blessings of the goddess herself, which may include drastically increased longevity.

It would be a very difficult decision.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Eh. My most favourite character is Findelwald Tungsten, a gnomish archivist-scout-artificer-factotum-something whose defining features are being able to tell endless anecdotes, having been to most places in the infinite multiverse somehow and surviving unlikely situations while being always cheerful. I'd be fine.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

What, trade in the ability to play any PC I want to for one of them, and get to feel all their pain? No thanks. Besides, I might be given to question my DM's competence.
    Most importantly, I quite like my life as is.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

17. - Top - End - #17
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

...I don't know that I could really pick a favorite.

Besides... I know full well there can be... consequences.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

An immortal Epic level warlock without useing Homebrew who lives as a adventurer in Sigil or a Ghost Dragon [Dont Ask] Fighter who currently 'lives and works' on a island overrun by undead and covered in snow working against the empire with some rebels whilst being drawn in increasingly dangerous situatuions, or a recently turned Human Vampire Rouge who works for the leader of the Undead in that situation, of whom the last two are both friends and the first two both share names.

So short version:
    Immortal, Highly Powerful, access to the entire multiverse, subject to endless pain with access to so much. Like Psychic Reformation, with a possibility of re choosing classes if I beg really nice.
    In a crappy situation likely to die. Best friend turned recently, looking for an out.
    Recently turned and moderatly powerful vampie looking for a way out and a way to safely contact her friend, also being able to walk around in sunlight due to magic... Oh, and of course, hunted as a undead and needing human blood.

Maybe, No... No becuase I don't have access the plane shift...

And that maybe is a very close maybe leaning towards no. So, what's the wizard getting out of this? [Investigate!]
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

19. - Top - End - #19

No way. For two reasons. Firstly, I love the life I live now, I love my family and friends. The life I've built is a good one. Secondly, I don't think I've ever built a character without some kind of mental weakness, from PTSD to the inability to trust to just pathological lying. I don't think it would be worth trading both things just for a more exciting/powerful life.

Now if I could convince the wizard to both take me and some choice people and to let me build the character I'm going to be turned into before leaving, then sure! But that's not really in spirit of the deal.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I would end up buried under a mountain, guarded by a paranoid warden who hates my guts for no fault of my own. Even if I could get free, my fate would be that of an exile fighting off increasingly powerful heartless monsters until I succumb or become one myself.

My life might not be so good, but there's only one answer to this question: "hahaha NO".

My characters usually start bad and end up worse, because I like inflicting tragedy on them. Or their hopeful grab for ultimate cosmic power is ended prematurely by sudden and awful death. So this deal kinda doesn't work for me.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Some of you missed the part where you wake up wherever you started with the character, meaning you start from the beginning, so if your favorite character met a gruesome fate, you can now avoid it.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I didn't.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

23. - Top - End - #23

Hmmmm......would have to be Bregga maleus; Pirate king of the new dawn, level 16 fighter4/rogue3/weapon master 9 or Vincent hawthorne; protector of the realm, lvl 13 Swordsage 4/Warblade 5/ Rogue 4/

of the two I prefer vincent, but either would be fine really. As for my life.....Its good, very good, but the chance to live in another world full of mysteries and things just waiting to be explored.... thats a very tempting life.

Ultimately, I would say yes I think. I have very little communication with loved ones so....eh,why not.
    Last edited by Averis Vol; 2013-01-13 at 09:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Since my favorite RPG character was an Infernal Exalted who became a Bodhisattva embodiment of the Shining Answer, I would bring ultimate Justice and Theodicy to the Omniverse that exalts all beings and answers suffering with the answer that consigns it to falsehood forevermore. Everyone would gain everything at the cost of nothing, and so I would still have my old life and loved ones simultaneously and everyone would have everything they've ever wanted and needed, and would DESERVE those rewards, and so all beings would enjoy the Game of Life eternally.

Golden 100% Completion **** Yeah God Mode Ending For Everyone.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

A definite "no" for any of my D&D characters. They're all dissimilar enough from me that it would be too jarring - both for me and their companions (who would probably think I was possessing them or something and try to get me banished).

On the other hand, my Champions Online character I played ages ago would be awesome since he was pretty much just a "close enough" version of me with super powers.

26. - Top - End - #26

DrowGuy

so, my life versus my favorite? which one?

halfling paladin on a warpony, pink mohawk proudly raised, wearing a pink and black tabard, smiting evil with a mace and being immune to everything?

downside: i hate horses irl, and i'm short enough as it is without dropping to 2ft8in. oh, and greyhawk, near the temple of elementary evil.

a troll paladin too stupid to realize he's meant to be evil instead of saving his buddies' lives time and time again and getting buildings dropped on him to no effect?

downside: 8ft tall and carnivorous... yeah. not without my buddies to act as faces.

an invisible killing machine creating logic-defying poisons, immune to poisons, sickness and aging?

downside: it's warhammer, so "crapsack world" barely covers it. i'm a chameleon skink in the heart of the empire. for all intents and purposes, i've got Rincewind from discworld meets zero no tsukaima as an adopted mommy (hapless mage who makes things go boom). and i'm the emergency rations.

tough call, but i'd have too much fun wreaking havoc in warhammer's old world. either irl or my loyal poisoner lizard for me.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

The opportunity to be a character who was basically a carbon copy of me with different colored hair and, unlike myself, had a level configuration consisting of sorcerer5/favoredsoul5/mysticthuerge10/EPIC!mysticthuerge10. I find this isn't a very hard decision, of course I would take the deal.

Although to be fair I do wonder just how I would act with that much, primarily destructive, magic at my fingertips. It's probably not something to worry about much.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    ...I don't know that I could really pick a favorite.

Besides... I know full well there can be... consequences.
    I thought of that same book.
    My favorite character by time invested is CHARNAME from Baldur's Gate II. No thanks. I like being married, reasonably successful, and living in Texas with no enemies and a reasonable amount of firepower to repulse any attackers with. 5 Magic Missiles once every six seconds would be a step backwards.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ok, revaluations, the last to characters get viciously tortured then escape very narrowly to live as wandering vagabonds for the rest of their lives, also known as PC Dom.

The first character instead has to live in isolation for the first part of her life from a god level demon guarded by a fey prince whose insane only with the assistame of her mum, then as a safety measure when found, accidentally gets sent to sigil, living on the streets as a warlock leading into adulthood, followed by the dangerous life of a Sicilian based adventurer.

Make thar a definate no on both parts.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

That would be a negatory. Even if they were unaffected much by my absence, walking out on your groups without a word is a fail. Same with other forums and family.

That said, if I had time to put the word out...sure why not?
    God created man as equals, and Colt made them so.