New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: I'm bored; anyone want some homebrew made?

Hey could you finish the mask lifter class you started, it looks cool.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

1) An alchemetry prc that is not evil and lets you apply ALCH 286 to more materials. Crystal, wood, maybe adamantine...

2) My transformer ideas for replacing spellouts. You don't need to say what materials they use, that can be figured out later. (quoted post spoilered below)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    If you're serious about removing the spells from silver transformers, we need more than just a new silver transformer, whatever that may be. As I see it, we need at least: positive energy, negative energy, nourishment, perception (sensory)... actually I think that's all that's specifically needed to replace spells.

Some nice stuff to also have would be information (which you said you had), matter (though that's probably a no), emotion (set specific emotions into ins and outs [probably always outs] if you want [faithin powering joyout anyone?]), influence (like diplomacy or bluff, put enough ebbs in and you have a dominate effect [maybe thats what you're really using the faithin for...]), memory, destiny (not sure how it would work, and it would probably be too setting specific... which gives me an idea), fealty (again, not sure how it would work [and fealtyins would probably foment rebellion base on how soundins and lightins work]), or alignment (once more, not sure how it would work, maybe a mix of ebbs, people in the field, and level determine if your alignment gets alterd or absorbed depending on if its an out or in).

In this model, I think woodins should be retooled to to absorb spells and psionics as silverins, but not produce spells or powers in woodouts. In this model, you can even have higher level spells produce ebbs at the old (new) rate of spellins.

A problem is that I feel those first 4 should be basic and easily accessed, but that would require them to be planetary metals, which are in short supply. We could use silver and iron, and maybe ascended metals, but that puts them in at doctorate level.

Now, that idea I mentioned earlier, why not create some setting specific transformers that use the same material. That way we can have a bunch of interesting options, that would be too niche to be part of the main body. Faith should actually probably be one of these.

3) A scholar base class that is more knowledge focused than magic focused. I'm not saying it needs no spellcasting, just that the spellcasting should be secondary to information-based class abilities.

4) Magical plants and animals that produce special effects when eaten. No specific ideas, but stuff more creative than hero's feast in a pear.

5) The Oghma Infinium somehow...

6) Ebberon Dragon marks as major bloodlines. I actually did this myself once, but the file is in my currently defunct laptop.

7) A spell that produces good mundane food and drink at the lowest level possible.

And thats all I can think of right now. You probably would have done the second one even if I hadn't asked.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

5) The Oghma Infinium somehow...
    Relevant to your interests...

4. - Top - End - #64

BardGuy

Why did that person stop updateing?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Have you looked at the Omnomnomicon for #4?

As for everyone else; I'm working on stuff; I'll probably be posting something later today.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

I've been trying to figure out how to do this myself, but i've hit a mental brick-wall way too many times.

Balance isn't too important, but me and my DM have been trying to figure out how we could include some Pit Fiend-esq transformation as a warlock invocation.

Our initial idea was to have it be a gradual informational invocation, with the next step being in the next invocation grade.

We aren't too sure though, if anything, do you have any ideas?
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

As a full turn-into-a-Pit Fiend?

Alternatively, there's this:

Investiture of the Pit Fiend
    Dark 9th
    Duration: 24 Hours

As the Investiture of the Pit Fiend spell, except the duration is as specified.

Investiture of the Pit Fiend is from the Fiendish Codex II, and, among other things, can give you a 60' fly speed, immunity to Poison, Fire Resistance 20, and one of three options (the better one gives you 4 natural attacks that deal 2d6 damage each and treat your BAB as being equal to your level for their attacks only)

But, actually... what do you two want out of the transformation?
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

That gives me some more ideas about how i'll probably have to go for balance, but me and my DM were trying to gauge how we could do a more complete transformation so by the time you got the Dark Grade step for the invocation, you were more or less a Pit fiend.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

... I'm not sure I'd feel good about making anything that would give you +16 to all ability scores except for Strength, which gets a +26...

Actually, that gives me an idea; first invocation gives you a +2 Enhancement bonus to ability scores, the next one gives a +2 Profane bonus, the next gives you a +2 size bonus to all ability scores (and increases your size to large), while the final doubles all of the above bonuses. However, the drawback is that anything that replaces that particular bonus to ability scores also dispels the invocation, which mitigates ability score spamming.

Sure, it's just a +12 to all ability scores, but that would put you in the same park as a Pit Fiend (assuming a Warlock with the Elite Array and no racial modifiers, you'd have at least one ability score at 31 by the time this is done; if you started with a 20 in any ability score, it's now a 32).

And, here's the "brilliant" bit; I'll have each invocation modify other invocations, besides giving a minor benefit.

Least: +2 to all ability scores, Infernal as a bonus language; if you have Devil's Sight Invocation, the radius out to which you can see through darkness increases to 60'. If you have the Serpent's Tongue invocation, your bonus to saves against Poison is instead Immunity.

Lesser: +2 to all ability scores, you get a fear aura (as an actual Pit-Fiend, though it only makes a creature Frightened); if you have the Fell Flight invocation, the flight changes to be due to a pair of wings; you gain a pair of wings, which can perform a wing-buffet natural attack.
    If you have Ignore the Pyre as an Invocation, if you choose to gain Resistance to either Acid or Cold, you gain resistance to both; if you choose to gain Resistance to Fire, you instead are immune.

Greater: Your size increases by one category; instead of the normal bonuses and penalties to ability scores, you instead gain a +2 to all ability scores. In addition, you gain a tail, and a tail slap natural attack.
    If you have the Chilling Tentacles invocation, you can activate it to gain the Improved Grab special ability and a constrict attack that deals 1d10+1-1/2 Str mod.

Dark: Your type changes to Outsider with the [Evil] and [Law] subtypes, and you gain a Bite attack and a pair of claws; all of your natural weapons deal damage as if they were one size larger than normal, and bypass DR as if they were both Lawfully and Evilly aligned. Any DR/Cold Iron that you have may only be bypassed by a Silver and Good-Aligned weapon, and is tripled. If you activate Fiendish Resilience, you gain Regeneration 5/Good instead of Fast Healing.

If you have Least activated, double the ability score bonus from that invocation.

If you have Lesser activated, double the ability score bonus from that invocation, and the fear aura upgrades to cause the Panicked condition.

If you have Greater activated, double the ability score bonus from that invocation.

If you have the Fell Flight invocation active, double the fly speed granted by it.

If you have the Chilling Tentacles invocation active, increase the Cold damage to 2d8; if you also have Greater active, the Constrict damage increases to 2d8+1-1/2 Str.

If you have the Ignore the Pyre invocation activated, if you choose to gain resistance to Cold, Acid, or Fire, you gain resistance to all three of them.
    ------

Basically, with all 9 invocations, and an added clause preventing ability score stacking, a Warlock 20 is pretty much a Pit Fiend, except that they need to somehow get the disease, poison, SR, and Telepathy.

If that's what you're looking for, feel free to flesh them out; I'd probably have a clause somewhere in there that would allow a Warlock to spend some experience to gain any of the 4 invocations as permanent Su abilities.

I'd suggest the following names:

Starting on the Path
    Accepting the Hellish Gift
    Strength of the Damned
    Compleation

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

That is perfect, thank you so much Amechra.

You're one of the better homebrewers here, I swear i'm not trying to be a kiss-ass

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Now, those 4 Invocations in proper written-out form (because I feel like it, damn it!)

Starting on the Path
    Least 2nd
    Duration: 24 hours.
    You have started on a dark, blood-slicked path. You have something decidedly devilish in your nature, now.

Upon activating this invocation, you gain a +2 Enhancement bonus to all ability scores, and you gain Infernal as a bonus language. If you also have the Devil's Sight invocation active, you are able to see through both darkness and magical darkness. If you also have the Serpent's Tongue invocation active, you gain immunity to Poison. Finally, if you have the Compleation invocation active, your bonuses to ability scores from this invocation are increased to +4.

Accepting the Hellish Gift
    Lesser 4th
    Duration: 24 hours
    You have drunk deep from a well of infernal power, and have gained a potent strength from this fact.

Upon activating this invocation, you gain a +2 Profane bonus to all ability scores; in addition, you gain the Frightful Presence ability out to a radius of 20', with your caster level used to calculate the DC instead of your racial HD, which causes a creature to become Frightened on a failed save. The effects of this frightful presence last a number of rounds equal to your caster level.

If you have the Fell Flight invocation active, your flight stems from a pair of bat-like wings, which grant you a pair of wing-buffet natural attacks, each dealing 1d6 Bludgeoning damage as Secondary natural weapons.

If you activate the Ignore the Pyre invocation while this invocation is active, you gain two additional options for that invocation; you may choose to become immune to Fire damage, or you may choose to gain the normal amount of energy resistance against Acid and Cold damage.

Finally, if you have the Compleation invocation active, the bonuses to ability scores from this invocation increase to +4, and your frightful presence improves, causing the Panicked condition on a failed save, and inflicting the Shaken condition for 1 round even on a successful save.

Strength of the Damned
    Greater 6th
    Duration: 24 hours
    You have become swollen and strong, gorging on devilish powers, until you have grown into quite a monster.

Upon activating this invocation, you grow a size category; however, instead of gaining the normal bonuses and negatives to ability scores, you instead gain a +2 bonus to all of your ability scores. In addition, you grow a long fiendish tail, which is strong enough to be used as a bludgeoning weapon; you gain a tail slap that deals 1d10 bludgeoning damage as a secondary natural weapon. If you know the Chilling Tentacles invocation, you gain the Improved Grab special ability, requiring that you make a successful attack with your tail slap to function; you additionally gain the Constrict special ability, dealing damage equal to the base damage of your tail slap plus your Strength modifier on making a successful grapple check. If you have the Compleation invocation active, the bonus to ability scores from this invocation increase to +4.

Compleation
    Dark 8th
    Duration: 24 hours.
    You have reached the end; this is the ultimate, final culmination of your deal with dark forces. There really isn't a way to go back, now.

Upon activating this Invocation, your type changes to Outsider, with the [Evil] and [Lawful] subtypes. In addition, you grow pair of vicious claws, as well as a fang-filled maw; you gain a pair of claw attacks that deal 1d10 slashing damage as Primary natural weapons, and a bite attack that deals 3d6 damage as a Secondary natural weapon. Additionally, you gain DR 15/Silver and Good, and if you activate your Fiendish Resilience class feature, you gain Regeneration bypassed by Good-aligned attacks and Good-aligned spells and effects equal to and instead of the Fast Healing granted by that class feature.

If you have activate the Ignore the Pyre invocation while this invocation is active, you may select two options from the ones given by that invocation. If you have the Fell Flight invocation active, your Fly speed from that invocation is increased to 60'.

In addition, if you have Starting on the Path, Accepting the Hellish Gift, Strength of the Damned and this invocation active at once, any natural weapons you have from sources other than this invocation are treated as if they were one size category larger.

Finally, you gain a single, irreversible option; as a full-round action, you may activate all four of these invocations simultaneously, each giving its benefits as if you were already under the effects of the other three invocations. If you do this, the durations of each of the invocations becomes Instantaneous, making their effects a permanent and "natural" part of the Warlock's body. If you do this, your native plane changes to the Nine Hells.
    -----------

Also, for funsies:

Perfection of the Most Vile [General]
    You are the most potent when you can feel the power of the fiends flowing through you.
    Prerequisites: Must be able to use Lesser invocations.
    Benefit: Any invocation that you know of Least or Lesser grade that grants you a bonus to an ability score increases that bonus by 2.

Awaken Fiendish Resistance [General]
    Most fiends are resistant to spellcasting; with your access to their power, why aren't you? Or weren't you, to be more precise.
    Prerequisites: Deceive Item, Spellcraft 9 ranks
    Benefits: You gain Spell Resistance equal to 10+your Caster Level. If you ever become an Outsider, or are an outsider, this spell resistance is increased by 2 for every alignment subtype you have that is not the [Good] subtype.

Potent Fiend's Taint [General]
    You are healing almost constantly, thanks to the fact that you may or may not have the blood of some fiend or other in your family tree.
    Prerequisites: Fiendish Resilience 1
    Benefit: Your Fiendish Resilience class feature improves by 1 for each level of invocations that you are able to use (by 1 if you can only use Least invocations, by 2 if you have access to both Least and Lesser invocations, and so on), up to a maximum of Fast Healing 5. In addition, if you ever gain the [Evil] subtype and at least one of the [Lawful] or [Chaotic] subtypes, the duration of your Fiendish Resilience class feature changes to 24 hours.

Pit-Fiend Assumption [General]
    You have quite nearly become a pit-fiend; really, there is not much farther that you have to reach to meet that goal...
    Prerequisites: Perfection of the Most Vile, Awaken Fiendish Resistance, Potent Fiend's Taint, must know the Starting on the Path, Devil's Sight, Serpent's Tongue, Accepting the Hellish Gift, Fell Flight, Ignore the Pyre, Strength of the Damned, Chilling Tentacles, and Compleation invocations.
    Benefit: You gain the [Devil] subtype when your Compleation invocation is active; in addition, the bite attack granted by Compleation is absolutely lethal.

Whenever you make a successful bite attack, the creature bitten must make a Fortitude save against a DC of 10+1/2 your CL+your Constitution modifier or contract the Devil Chills supernatural disease (incubation period 1d4 days, damage 1d4 Str).

In addition, they must also make a save against the same DC against a poison, which deals 1d6 Constitution damage as initial damage, and kills the poisoned creature if they fail their second save 10 rounds later.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Halfling in the Playground

not exactly a request into a full homebrew write up but maybe some ideas to help me finish out the abilities of my base class here? I have hit a stump and quite frankly i need some help. even if it is just something to make the brain juices to flow again. But that dead 10th level is really annoying. also no actual spell casting :P
    LOOK AT ALL OF MY WEAPONS! LOOK AT THEM!

13. - Top - End - #73

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Have you looked at the Omnomnomicon for #4?

As for everyone else; I'm working on stuff; I'll probably be posting something later today.
    I have not. I wish it were finished, it seems interesting.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Are you still bored? I wouldn't mind a little help in thinking up some ideas for two additional parts in a bigh setting/mechanic/homebrew I'm working on.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

I am ETERNALLY IMBUED WITH ENNUI!

So drop me a link, please.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Bear with me, it's quite a substantial amount of things written, but since your bored it may prove interesting...

A basic synopsis is that magic and other extraordinary powers derive from forces that exist. These forces are luck, fate, and magic. Each force has a race that is like an arbiter of the force, one that can influence them. Luck (Dragons) is based on the undetermined, fate (Elves) on the destined, and magic (Ancients) is sort of a biproduct of luck and fate's interaction; the balance between the two; perception.

I have worked out the mechanics of magic pretty thouroghly, though I'd like the other two forces to resemble the magic system in some way, but go off on their own way as well. The way the world works, only one of these forces can be in hieghtened power at a time, while the other two become weakened in power. Each change in power represents an age, though the cause of such fluxuations can be much of anything, not always determined. So the way I've described magic is how the mechanics are when it is not in power, as there are less limitations when it is in power.

The other two are what I'm directing my attentions to now, and I've seem to come across a blank as to how I want the other two powers to work, and where I need help with brainstorming. Since magic is the protuct of the other two, I figured it could be a good model, but I've gotten two focused on magic and need a fresh pair of eyes.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263481
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

17. - Top - End - #77

Why did that person stop updateing?
    Good question. I was following the thread very closely myself. You could always PM the user.

18. - Top - End - #78

I'd still like an epic level berzerker-type prestige class. Ideally, it would require levels in barbarian, frenzied berzerker, and bear warrior to enter, but whatevs.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

This is a fairly big one but I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least ask.

I'm looking for a system for alchemy like in the Fullmetal Alchemist manga and anime for a D20 point buy system (similar to mutants and masterminds)

For those unfamiliar Alchemy allows matter to be reshaped through special transmutation circles, normally its for making various things but most characters have tricks (like predrawn circles and tattoos) to use it in combat.

Look it up and watch a few episodes of the anime (either one since the basics are the same in both) if you need more information

I've been making some of the basics for the setting and system but the alchemy itself is stumping me on how to give it the right degree of flexibility while still adhering to basic laws and principles.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xaotiq1 View Post
    This may be relevant to your interests: http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Swordmage

You can do a re-skin here, a re-flavor there, and POOF you're done!
    TY but after looking if over, it's just not close enough to what I'm after. I don't like the invocations but the creation of a weapon for a single attack action I do like.

21. - Top - End - #81

I have a weird request for some homebrew if you're familiar with the True Sorcery magic system from Green Ronin.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

I can get my hands on a copy, yes...

What's the request?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Just so I feel like I'm getting somewhere with the requests, here's a bone tossed to Eldan:

First of, how wizards psyche themselves up to do stuff; come on, you know they have to have some way to enhance their self-control!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Utter Self Control
    Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Asn 3, Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4
    Componants: V, S
    Casting Time: Standard Action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: One Day/Level
    Save: Will Negates (Harmless)
    Spell Resistance: No

Upon casting this spell, you take a deep breath, and give yourself a command, which can range from something as simple as "Guard this person to the extent of my abilities" to being as exact as "Do not open the third drawer from the top in my master's dresser."

Once you have given yourself a command, you will carry it out in one of two ways; if you gave yourself a command to do something, you will perform that action to the exclusion of activities necessary to day-to-day survival (eating, drinking, sleeping, and so on and so forth). If you instead gave yourself a command to not do something, you are rendered incapable of performing that action by your own volition; your hand will balk, your sword will cease to swing, and the words of your spells dying before they leave your lips.

Creatures only have to make a DC 15 Sense Motive check to discern the fact that you are under this spell, as your obsession echoes in your eyes and in your words.

In any case, one unique feature of this spell, in stark opposition to other spells that compel you to a certain course of action, is that you can give yourself commands that are obviously self-destructive; however, for the purpose of effects that have a clause that prevents you from performing an action that would be either suicidal or utterly against your own nature, you treat any order that would oppose the order you gave yourself as if it were obviously self-destructive.

If a given order is no longer applicable (such as if you ordered yourself to slay a particular dragon, and you have that dragon's corpse at your feet), that order ceases to apply to you; you may give yourself additional orders at any time as a move action, but they must not interfere in any way with any applicable orders you are already following (you could not, for example, order yourself to kill the royal family that you had earlier ordered yourself to protect.)

This spell cannot be cast under magical coercion; if you would be commanded to give yourself a given order, you treat any such command as if it were obviously self-destructive.

Material Componant: A list with 100 items on it, written in a mixture of wine and iron filing costing 10gp.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2013-01-24 at 08:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Okay, this may be a stupid idea, I love that magic system, but it gets a little dull just taking spellcaster levels. I was trying to think of a way to modify some prestige classes like incantatrix or arch mage in ways that fit the system. Like innate reductions in dc or special effects, but I confuse myself everytime I try to come up of a balanced way to do it.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Zubat View Post
    Wait... how silly are you willing to go?

Because I, for one, would like to play something based on the Bladers of Metal Fight Beyblade.

A base class, to be precise, centered around the Bit Beast and the Beyblade, meant to act as a Striker.

Yes, that's right: by Epic levels? You'll be killing dragons with A SPINNING TOP.

That is, if you're willing. You really don't have to...
    That reminds me... I now have a slightly-less vague idea of what I want to do with this would-be-be-psionic class.

There'd be mechanics for building your Bey and everything!
    I am everywhere.

There is no escape.

If I defeat enough of them, will I level up and evolve into a Golbat?

Almost forgot to thank Dirtytabs for this avatar!

Whoops!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If you are still bored I may have something for you, that I can't seem to get right myself.

I'm currently planning a 3.5 game, where magic has almost gone extinct, but where the technology has advanced a bit more than usually seen i 3.5: gunpowder weapons, basic steam engines, clockwork mechanisms and very basic flight (hot air balloons and gliders, nothing powered).

For this setting I would like to have an Inventor base class, that dapples in several of the technologies.

I have found plenty of classes that at first glance seems to fit the description, but most of them only emulate magic spells, instead of giving me something new, and I want it to be as far from the magic system as possible.

The only idea that I have had, that I feel are worth exploring are a system that gives abilities based on craft skills.

Can you help me out?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Henlein_Kosh View Post
    If you are still bored I may have something for you, that I can't seem to get right myself.

I'm currently planning a 3.5 game, where magic has almost gone extinct, but where the technology has advanced a bit more than usually seen i 3.5: gunpowder weapons, basic steam engines, clockwork mechanisms and very basic flight (hot air balloons and gliders, nothing powered).

For this setting I would like to have an Inventor base class, that dapples in several of the technologies.

I have found plenty of classes that at first glance seems to fit the description, but most of them only emulate magic spells, instead of giving me something new, and I want it to be as far from the magic system as possible.

The only idea that I have had, that I feel are worth exploring are a system that gives abilities based on craft skills.

Can you help me out?
    Besides a better artificer? You could refluff a lot of the effects as technological.

Their was also a class that made incarnum into technology... Or you could modify Gramarie to be nonmagical...

The problem if you make something that makes things is just outfitting another party member with the equipment is sort of a better option.

Though you could give them a pp like system that they could invest in things...

Will the creatures in the setting be magicless? Because a lot of enemies make powered flight a necessity.
    Avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew. you should PEACH them...
    Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    This is a fairly big one but I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least ask.

I'm looking for a system for alchemy like in the Fullmetal Alchemist manga and anime for a D20 point buy system (similar to mutants and masterminds)

For those unfamiliar Alchemy allows matter to be reshaped through special transmutation circles, normally its for making various things but most characters have tricks (like predrawn circles and tattoos) to use it in combat.

Look it up and watch a few episodes of the anime (either one since the basics are the same in both) if you need more information

I've been making some of the basics for the setting and system but the alchemy itself is stumping me on how to give it the right degree of flexibility while still adhering to basic laws and principles.
    Might this help you?? http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...t_out..._Again!
    "Bender knows love, and love doesn't share itself with the world. Love is suspicious, love is needy. Love is fearful, love is greedy. My friends, there is no great love without great jealousy!"- Bender Bending Rodriguez

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I would like an exalted base class built around Archons. Something like an Archonshape Paladin or an Angel Summoner would be cool, but whatever it is it has to be Archon!

D&D 3.5 bitte.
    I hope it's been long enough that other people can join in. If not, don't click the spoiler button and the request is still live :-)

The Archon Disciple

Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|{colsp=8}spells/day
    |||||0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7
    1|2|2|2|Detect Evil||||||||
    2|3|3|3|Light Ray 1d6||||||||
    3|3|3|3|Aura of Menace, Aura of Courage||||||||
    4|4|4|4|Lay on Hands|1|||||||
    5|4|4|4|Light Ray 2d6|1|||||||
    6|5|5|5|Glowing Melee|2|||||||
    7|5|5|5|Summon Lantern Archon|2|||||||
    8|6|6|6|Light Ray 3d6|2|1||||||
    9|6|6|6|Tongues|3|1||||||
    10|7|7|7|Magic Circle against Evil|3|2||||||
    11|7|7|7|Light Ray 4d6|4|3||||||
    12|8|8|8|Ki Weaponry|5|4||||||
    13|8|8|8|+4 bonus on saves against poison|5|4|1|||||
    14|9|9|9|Light Ray 5d6|6|4|1|1||||
    15|9|9|9|Immunity to Petrification and Electricity|6|5|1|1|1|||
    16|10|10|10|Summon Hound Archon|6|5|2|1|1|1||
    17|10|10|10|Light Ray 6d6|6|5|2|2|1|1|1|
    18|11|11|11|Teleport|6|6|2|2|2|1|2|
    19|11|11|11|Heal|6|6|3|3|3|2|2|1
    20|12|12|12|Light Ray 7d6, Trumpet Blast|6|6|4|3|3|3|2|2[/table]
    Hit die: d8
    Skills: 6+int
    Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (any), Listen, Perform (any), Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Tumble

Detect Evil(sla): at will

Light Ray(su): Ranged touch attack (within 30 ft) bypasses all DR.

Aura of Menace(su): All enemies within 20' must make a will save (dc 12 + 1/2 level + cha mod) or be frightened. Once an enemy makes the save, he is safe for the next 24 hours.

Aura of Courage(su): As paladin

Lay on Hands(su): As paladin

Glowing Melee(su): You may add your light ray damage to one melee attack per round, but with 1 fewer d6 of damage than when used as a ray.

Summon Lantern Archon(sla): 3/day

Tongues(sla): continous

Magic Circle against Evil(sla): continous

Ki Weaponry(su): All attacks are magic, good and lawful for purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Summon Hound Archon(sla): 3/day

Teleport(sla): at will

Heal(sla): at will

Trumpet Blast(su): All nongood creatures within 100' must make a dc 20+cha mod fort save or be paralyzed for 1d4 rounds.

Spellcasting: Prepared, divine, cha-based from the cleric, paladin, good and law lists.

SLAs: All SLAs use class level as caster level and charisma for saves if relevant.

Alignment: Lawful good only. Lapses lose all class features until Atonement.

[i]A note about the spellcasting progression[i]
    Yes, it's really weird. But it's what makes the balance work. At the early levels, adding spellcasting worth speaking of would be excessive. But around level 13 the archon-related class features get pretty thin, and the chassis isn't impressive anymore, and you pretty much need spells to keep up, so it gets accelerated spellcasting. Which then slows down again when the really good SLAs show up. It ends up close to what a trumpet archon has. And the table kind of looks like a trumpet. Yay that.

30. - Top - End - #90

That class needs some serious reworking, dspeyer. Other than Aura of Menace (at will fear with a DC 2 higher than normal, although poorly written and having no duration), you have no abilities worth mentioning until level 15 or so.

At first level, you have a cantrip for your class features. Color me unimpressed.

Light Ray is like a Warlock's Eldritch Blast, but with 2/3 the damage (and Eldritch Blast is a low damage ability in the first place) and no invocation support.

Tongues is very situational, and while Magic Circle Against Evil is a good spell, it's also available at half your class level by any full caster, or individually targeted since level 1 with the original Protection From Evil.

Summon Lantern Archon is, hypothetically, the only level-appropriate ability gained by this class, except that it's an utterly crippled version of said level-appropriateness (Lantern Archons are on the Summon Monster 4 list, true, but the spell summons far more creatures and Lantern Archons are one of the weaker choices most of the time).
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium