Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default One Piece II: Piece, Red Piece, Blue Piece.

Celebrating a second thread in more then as many years.

This Calls for a Party!

Previous Thread:
    One Piece -- Discussion
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2013-01-18 at 01:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: One Piece II: Piece, Red Piece, Blue Piece.

Might as well post this since the last thread's done:

As far as the admirals go, they had a very specific character theme with Aokiji (Blue Pheasant), Kizaru (Yellow Monkey), and Akainu (Red Dog). I'm completely unfamiliar with the myth the theme is based off of, so I don't know if any other replacements could be brought in this way.

If, however, the titles of Aokiji and Akainu were passed onto new admirals, that gives us a better idea of what might be possible.

Garp has a dog theme to his appearance anyway, and he might just be the one to inherit the Mera Mera Fruit if possible, especially given his relationship to Ace. This would fit the naming theme and the logia theme of the admirals. I don't think it's likely based on the fact that Sakazuki is supposably going for an even darker administration than last time, though it could be that Sakazuki wants to keep a closer eye on Garp and try to force him into a position where he has less leeway to do as he pleases. If this pattern is followed, then I suspect that the new Aokiji will be someone completely new, possibly with the long-speculater Water Logia.

If, however, the original theme regarding the Admirals is no longer in effect by Oda, that opens up a few new possibilities. I doubt any of the side Vice-Admirals with barely any appearance like Cancer, Momonga, Onigumo, etc. would really work. They just don't matter enough.

As a dark horse, or leopard in this case, what about Rob Lucci? We don't know what happened to him post-timeskip, his strength and track record are still well above the majority of the marines, his loyalty and commitment to the "dark justice" makes him an ideal subordinate under Sakazuki's administration, and he has several loyal followers already.

On a related note, the Shichibukai...

Until we get confirmation, we have quite the roster change:

People who are confirmed Shichibukai:
    Doflamingo - Confirmed to retain his shichibukai status.
    Mihawk - Can't find confirmation that he's retained his shichibukai status, but I also don't see any reason why he wouldn't still be a shichibukai.
    Trafalgar Law - Confirmed to be a new shichibukai.

People who might no longer have the shichibukai status (or lose it shortly)
    Boa Hancock - She's aided Luffy quite a bit. Supposably she's been hiding it enough that the government hasn't caught on and revoked her status, but it seems less likely each time that she hasn't been found out yet. That could potentially get her kicked out.
    Bartholomew Kuma - If Bartholomew Kuma truly has lost all of his free will, it sees pointless to keep him as a shichibukai when he's just as loyal to the world government either way. The point of the shichibukai is for the World Government to forge uneasy truces with the more dangerous of pirates to minimize conflict on both sides and to team up agains threats like the Yonkou. Better to fill that slot with an actual pirate who'd be a threat otherwise.

People who are definitely no longer shichibukai:
    Blackbeard - Confirmed to not retain his shichibukai status.
    Jinbe - Confirmed to not retain his shichibukai status.
    Gekko Moria - Confirmed to not retain his shichibukai status. Supposably he was killed on the battlefield, but he could also very well be locked away somewhere secretly as well.

So we have anywhere from three to five new guys, one of which is Trafalgar Law. Speculation as to who could be the replacements?

Buggy the Clown - There's already been a lot of discussion to this and hints in the story, specifically the letter he received just before the timeskip. Mostly due to the fact that his new crew is probably far more dangerous than Buggy himself.

Crocodile - The government might consider reestablishing his shichibukai status out of desperation now that he's out. He would be a valuable ally in the current climate. He's not exactly trustworthy, but look at the others.

As for the remaining Supernovas... Eustass Kid, Scatchman Apoo, and Basil Hawkins have been shown, and considering their alliance talks it seems likely that any of them have become shichibukai.

X Drake was mentioned as having made a name for himself, but given his anti-marine demeanor, he seems unlikely. Bonney's definitely out after her encounter with Blackbeard.

Capone Bege and Urouge haven't been mentioned post-timeskip yet. I don't see them as likely choices, but it's worth considering.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be real surprised if Boa Hancock lost her status for doing her "who dared put a [____] in my path?" schtick given that she projects and practices a persona of being a total bitch all the time already.

Besides the world will always forgive her....

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Oda only applied the shichibukai's animal theme to the original group, so he also might not retain the admiral's theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    [...]it could be that Sakazuki wants to keep a closer eye on Garp and try to force him into a position where he has less leeway to do as he pleases.
    Could be true: Garp is an intructor now, he probably won't leave the HQ very often.
    Edit: Indeed, Soras, mostly had Sengoku in my head (because we saw him talking to Kong), forgot that Kong mentioned Garp.
    Last edited by Dscherro; 2013-01-18 at 03:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dscherro View Post
    Oda only applied the shichibukai's animal theme to the original group, so he also might not retain the admiral's theme.

Could be true:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Garp is an intructor now, he probably won't leave the HQ very often.
    Well I'd say Garp is almost never near HQ, save when he comes by to make trouble. You don't have Boot Camp at the Pentagon afterall.

And that's not a spoiler man Garp becoming an instructor is old news from pre-timeskip.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Something different:
    Ceasar Clown has a voice now, and it's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ryusei Nakao aka the guy who spoke Mayuri in Bleach.

You can't make it more fitting.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Something different:
    Ceasar Clown has a voice now, and it's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ryusei Nakao aka the guy who spoke Mayuri in Bleach.

You can't make it more fitting.
    ...I'm not going to like, that's actually perfect.

Ray 01 avatar by Pinkhaired August. C U S T O M!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Hooray for pigeon-holing voice actors? I guess?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Does anyone happen to know if Z has been confirmed as either the same level of canon as Strong World or not?

I would also like to second the idea that Buggy and his crew have become one of the Shichibukai. The carrier bat was only seen once before and that was delivering Jinbe his own invitation.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki Tales View Post
    Does anyone happen to know if Z has been confirmed as either the same level of canon as Strong World or not?

I would also like to second the idea that Buggy and his crew have become one of the Shichibukai. The carrier bat was only seen once before and that was delivering Jinbe his own invitation.
    Z is cannon, yes.

We don't know yet if Buggy is a Shichibukai, but they're is so much evidence pointing towards it I have a hard time saying it's NOT confirmed.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Z is cannon, yes.
    I've not seen anything that confirms that. Unlike Strong World it was not written by Oda. Overseen is all I've seen, which could easily be marketing bullcrap for an fairly minor advisory rol. Additionally far as I know there's no supporting mentions in the manga, which was not the case for Shiki.

I suspect this may be an apocryphal canon, elements and even movie particular characters may be true but the film's events never happened in the manga timeline. Or something like that.

The wiki says it takes place between the anime filler and Punk Hazard which would be flat out impossible to fit into the manga... but I'm not inclined to trust that until I've seen both the film and how Punk Hazard ends.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I've not seen anything that confirms that. Unlike Strong World it was not written by Oda. Overseen is all I've seen, which could easily be marketing bullcrap for an fairly minor advisory rol. Additionally far as I know there's no supporting mentions in the manga, which was not the case for Shiki.

I suspect this may be an apocryphal canon, elements and even movie particular characters may be true but the film's events never happened in the manga timeline. Or something like that.

The wiki says it takes place between the anime filler and Punk Hazard which would be flat out impossible to fit into the manga... but I'm not inclined to trust that until I've seen both the film and how Punk Hazard ends.
    Well, maybe it's only anime canon then? Like, I know the movie DOES have SOME canon elements to it, like Akoji with a missing leg and so on.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah pretty much I'll wait and see on anything else.

Oh I just happened across this by chance... (spoilered for image size)
    Spoiler
    Show

It took me a second to get it. (Protip:The Eyebrows)

I'm not sure if I quite believe it as more then coincident... but if so damn I mean Rayleigh was one thing but... damn

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not sure if I quite believe it as more then coincident... but if so damn I mean Rayleigh was one thing but... damn
    The picture is not showing up, Soras, but I think I know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

That's strange because I can see it just fine:

http://www.zerochan.net/1405058

Link to page
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2013-01-20 at 08:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Spoiler
    Show

Almost garunteed it's intentional, since Oda seems like the guy who would.

That's strange because I can see it just fine:

http://www.zerochan.net/1405058

Link to page
    The direct image didn't work since the site breaks images, forcing you to link to the image as you did here.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Tee-Hee! I like this thread title! I'm gonna go watch this anime now!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Z had both a filler anime arc and it had a manga tie-in. Add this in with the fact that it's the second movie to be called a "film" after Strong World, that Oda was said to "oversee" it just like Strong World and that he personally selected the Armani designs for the Strawhats and I think it might be safe to say it's just as canon to the manga as Strong World was.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki Tales View Post
    Z had both a filler anime arc and it had a manga tie-in. Add this in with the fact that it's the second movie to be called a "film" after Strong World, that Oda was said to "oversee" it just like Strong World and that he personally selected the Armani designs for the Strawhats and I think it might be safe to say it's just as canon to the manga as Strong World was.
    The filler arc is rather a negative point, it explicitly breaks the manga timeline. The Straw Hats surfaced right outside Punk Hazard remember, there's literally no place for a filler arc there.

The manga tie-in is not a story, just an art book. Unlike Strong World's Chapter Zero, and Shiki was mentioned in a regular chapter having escaped Impel Down.

And there's a big difference between "overseeing" and actually writing the story.

I'm personally inferring it comes mostly to providing character designs.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

The filler arc is rather a negative point, it explicitly breaks the manga timeline. The Straw Hats surfaced right outside Punk Hazard remember, there's literally no place for a filler arc there.
    They did? I forgot. But it's not like it was really essential... While the filler wasn't great it wasn't really terrible either...

Anyway, new chapter, aftermath of the arc. Nothing I really feel happened... The only thing I kind of enjoyed was Law realizing (again) what he got himself into with Luffy.
    Spoiler
    Show

And the Samurai is alive because ???
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic! Maybe literally.
    I' kinda sad that Brownie has to go to Impel Down now, poor guy can't get a rest.
    But we have Kaidou's epithet now, maybe he is the One Piece World's Beastmaster?

22. - Top - End - #22

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic! Maybe literally.
    I' kinda sad that Brownie has to go to Impel Down now, poor guy can't get a rest.
    But we have Kaidou's epithet now, maybe he is the One Piece World's Beastmaster?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Calling it right now. Kaidou was the one getting Artificial Zoan's from Ceaser.

Also, I feel like we might learn what counteracts the gass next chapter, since the marine soldiers said they got the information out of Ceaser. Maybe it's as simple as just smashing the covering on them?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Calling it right now. Kaidou was the one getting Artificial Zoan's from Ceaser.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Possible, but it might not be the source of his name, since that army seems to be no more than three years old and I don't think one of the most infamous criminals gets his nickname changed that easily.
    I once read the theory that Minkmen are actually animal people, with Pekoms, Bepo and possible the monkey brothers being members. I liked this one, if it's correct, Kaidou's core crew might mostly consist of them, maybe Kaidou himself is one.
    And if he's making the Zoan Army he would be able to create more Chimaera's like Pekoms.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    They did? I forgot. But it's not like it was really essential... While the filler wasn't great it wasn't really terrible either...
    I loved the character designs/concepts, the plot wasn't terrible, but they got terribly lazy on some animation which put me off it.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm inferring that Law is responsible... somehow.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm absolutely loving Law's expression on the third-to-last page of the latest chapter.

I'm inferring that Law is responsible... somehow.
    Or the gas only petrified the top layer of his skin, and it broke off safely due to his devil fruit.
    Lolth is so scary that even in TO, "having to be touched by Lolth" is recognized as a serious drawback for Lolth-touched.
    Ongoing Playtests:      The Avowed
    Handbooks:    Disregard Money, Acquire Buff Spells: Artificers without the Artifice E6 Plot Magic

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, as a little personal challenge to myself, each week I will translate the little random ToC comments Kubo/Kishi/Oda make if I can find a scan for the next issue, which is what you guys have read yesterday.

Now as for Oda...

"Kaizoku Musou 2 no demo wo mita boku to tantou no hannou. Sugo !! Tsuyo !! Zurui!!! Ero !!"

Oda's reaction (as well as the guy in charge's?) to the Kaizoku Musou 2 demo: Awesome! Powerful! Cunning! Sexy!
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    I'm absolutely loving Law's expression on the third-to-last page of the latest chapter.
    Trofalgar Law anyone?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Issue #10/Feb 4's ToC has been scanned, so what does Oda have to say...

"Hausutenposu e Anime staffu 250 nin to ryokou no hazu ga yuki de hikouki kekkou. Mata kondo."

The 'hausutenposu' is all in katakana, and I'm not sure how to parse it. It's a location of some sort. And he was supposed to take a trip with the anime staff (numbering 250 people; wow, lot of people work on the One Piece anime) there, but due to snow, the flight was canceled. Maybe some other time.
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Law, you magnificent bastard, that was awesome.
    Doflamingo surely doesn't like being cornered, did he just kill his servants in anger?
    And Kaidou not only built a Smile Army, he is apparently no human. So much for "of the bests", he might be one of those talking humanoid animals, or he is a member of the species that Oda wanted to introduce soon.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Well we always knew Law was the Supernova worth watching the closest.

I'm just glad he's on the Straw Hat side for now.