New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Fresh news about Justin Bieber!

Look, I don't usually go nuts over anything related to celebrities. But today this happened. And I'm not really sure what to say. Today is the day so many have waited for - and it feels... good.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fresh news about Justin Bieber!

I can honestly claim that I don't know a single song of his (though I might have heard one without knowing it was him)... and I am moderately aggravated by the hype, the pervasiveness of his presence and, more importantly, that of the blasted beliebers... other than that I don't have any particular anymosity for someone who is completely removed from my musical radar or indeed interests.

having said that...
    because it's fun, easy and I can, though I question why George R R Martin is shooting guns
    Last edited by dehro; 2013-12-18 at 07:42 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Good. I didn't like him at all. Maybe the next tweenybopper crush idol will at least not constantly show is back side to the world.
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I honestly think he gets more publicity from these kind of news than any other source.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

This thread goes on my "Top 10 threads I was 100% positive was a spambot until I read it" list.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Question: How exactly is anybody's life made worse by Justin Bieber? I get not liking his music - I don't like his music - which suggests an obvious solution: not listening to it. Once that simple measure has been taken, I can't figure the need for further dislike, unless for some reason you have an extreme reaction to tabloid covers when standing in line at the grocery store.

Now, if you have a twelve year old daughter, avoiding his music may be somewhat more difficult, and I can get a certain level of overexposed irritation at the stuff.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Question: How exactly is anybody's life made worse by Justin Bieber?
    How about people being annoyed by the pop culture obsession of Bieber bashing? There's barely a video left on YouTube without his name in the comments.

I don't think I'd even recognise his stuff if I heard it. It makes little difference if he retires or if he carries on for another fifty years.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2013-12-18 at 12:46 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    How about people being annoyed by the pop culture obsession of Bieber bashing? There's barely a video left on YouTube without his name in the comments.
    I can't say I'm annoyed by Bieber-bashing either. More bemused in a somewhat downcast way about the internet's seemingly endless capability to generate infinite amounts of pointless hate for, as far as I can tell, completely irrelevant things. At some level it just ends up looking like hating things because hating things - and projecting that hatred - feels good, which is a touch depressing. Though such things, like Bieber's music, is easy enough to avoid that the degree to which it makes my life worse is due mostly to poor decision making on my part, and nothing else.

Mind, I can't say I'm innocent of ever hating things for the sake of hating them. I at least think I'm getting better about not doing this though. I can say with some certainty I am getting better at not reading Youtube comments. It seems to improve life.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. I'm sure I read about a study recently that suggested that being angry, venting and so on, is actually habit forming. It seems simple to assume that hatred works on a similar level.

Turns out, Yoda may have been on to something. Who knew?

Also yes, there's a special kind of pointless in YouTube comments. The fact that I can't rate or comment without google plussing up increasingly feels like a blessing in disguise.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

He constantly goes out of his way to act like a complete jerk cause he can get away with it and knows it. This includes abandoning a pet in a German Hotel during one of his concert tours, and trolling the entire internet that he was gonna be Robin in Batman Vs. Superman right after they announced Afleck was gonna be Batman for the same movie.
    "I Burn!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Justin Bieber's is seriously not a good person. He's faked asthma attacks so that hospitals would send ambulances, then laughed about it... (lawyers had to move pretty quick to stop him from facing jail time on that one!), he's actually spit on his fans, he said he hoped Anne Franke would've been a belieber if she was still alive, just...

This kid was way, way too young for the fame that came to him. He's immature, and kind of a jerk, and it really shows. I'm of the opinion that he should absolutely not be mocked for any femininity that could be attached to him, but his generally reprehensible behavior in public deserves mention.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    He constantly goes out of his way to act like a complete jerk cause he can get away with it and knows it. This includes abandoning a pet in a German Hotel during one of his concert tours, and trolling the entire internet that he was gonna be Robin in Batman Vs. Superman right after they announced Afleck was gonna be Batman for the same movie.
    Or, more importantly, what he did at the Anne Frank House.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I listed two cause I really didn't feel like subjecting myself to a run down of every rather deplorable thing he's ever done in public, but yeah, I'll hole heartedly agree with that being his worst offense and with the items listed by Tectonic Robot.

So yeah, bad dude, he's gonna be gone, which is good riddance to bad rubbish, and here's hoping his replacement isn't so a colossal Smacktard.
    "I Burn!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Really, jerking the chains of people who's chains are so short in regards to some issues they can get jerked by movie casting is probably a public service. It's certainly hilarious, and I have zero issue with laughing at the comical rage of overinvested nerds. I say this mind as a nerd, though hopefully one that hasn't become quite that overinvested in the pointless yet. If I ever sink to the level where I will scream hatred over the internet about movie casting, I think I'm well worthy of some mockery. And if somebody's savvy enough to capitalize on mocking me, hey, it's both hilarious and useful.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm glad he could find success at such a young age and obtain such a net worth, so much so that he could feasably go into retirement at his young age and in theory live comfortably for the rest of his life. I'm glad for Beiber, and I wish him all the best.

That said, his music will not be missed.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Really, jerking the chains of people who's chains are so short in regards to some issues they can get jerked by movie casting is probably a public service. It's certainly hilarious, and I have zero issue with laughing at the comical rage of overinvested nerds. I say this mind as a nerd, though hopefully one that hasn't become quite that overinvested in the pointless yet. If I ever sink to the level where I will scream hatred over the internet about movie casting, I think I'm well worthy of some mockery. And if somebody's savvy enough to capitalize on mocking me, hey, it's both hilarious and useful.
    Except that's not why he did it. He did it cause "Hey, I'm popular, what do popular guys do? Pick on the nerds cause they exist and society says that cause they exist it's ok to attack them and encourage and entire generation to be dismissive of anything they contribute? Ok."
    "I Burn!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

That does not mean trolling in the internet is not a negative act, even if it's a minor one. And that's one thing out of a half-dozen or so that were listed here alone.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2013-12-18 at 01:58 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I think, personally, the ambulance baiting is the nastiest thing he's done, although the Anne Frank fiasco is a close second.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Yes, how dare he hope she would've liked his music, truly he is a deplorable human being. Only monsters wish people would like their music after all.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2013-12-18 at 02:00 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    I think, personally, the ambulance baiting is the nastiest thing he's done, although the Anne Frank fiasco is a close second.
    No, I'd say spitting on fans is far worse than hoping some famous person would've been a diehard fan of him. Unless what was posted here was only a small part of the story.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, that's kinda hilarious.
    And you know what? That sounds surprisingly self aware.

I agree, messing with the ambulance service risks lives. Not funny, not cool.
    The Anne Frank thing though?

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Yes, how dare he hope she would've liked his music, truly he is a deplorable human being. Only monsters wish people would like their music after all.
    Something like this, basically. It was a callous, crass moment. An attempt at piggybacking on a solemn thing to further his own fame and fortune, perhaps.

But at the end of the day, it's really not such a big deal. He may be too much of a brash young twerp to have phrased it in such a way as to not cause offence, but it's not like the sentiment that it would have been nice for her to live long enough to have an opinion on modern pop music is inherently a controversial one.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Except that's not why he did it. He did it cause "Hey, I'm popular, what do popular guys do? Pick on the nerds cause they exist and society says that cause they exist it's ok to attack them and encourage and entire generation to be dismissive of anything they contribute? Ok."
    I realize I'm probably in the minority in this view in this particular group of people, but mocking people who are being voluntarily stupid is A-OK in my book. Being tremendously over-invested in comic-book movies is a choice; we aren't talking about sexual orientation or gender identity here. We're talking about getting barking upset because somebody they don't like might play a fictional character in a movie about guys in underwear punching criminals. If you choose to not have a grip, getting ridiculed for said lack of grip is, at least as far as I can make out, completely appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    That does not mean trolling in the internet is not a negative act, even if it's a minor one. And that's one thing out of a half-dozen or so that were listed here alone.
    Again, making the voluntarily ridiculous look ridiculous is hardly a sin.

He, uh, hoped she would have liked his music. I rather think that hoping somebody would have gotten joy from what you do had they not been murdered is both completely reasonable, and quite respectful. It's a more fundamental acknowledgement that Anne Frank was in fact a person and not a symbol of martyrdom than raising a hue and cry because a teenager said something that was disrespectful in some nonspecific way.

(Thought experiment: if a classical musician had said he/she hoped Anne Frank would have liked his/her work, would the internet have gone for the torches and honed the pitchforks? I rather doubt it.)

Now granted 'inspiring' is not the word I would have picked. Genocide is not generally something I find inspirational, at least in word's default connotation of uplifting, but I can see why a person would use it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps the bit about Anne Frank and music is debatable, although I hear it came off as very self centered and quite horrible.

But would you, please, Mr. Goblin, say what you think about such activities as faking asthma attacks, or getting banned from Disney World for punching Goofy?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps the bit about Anne Frank and music is debatable, although I hear it came off as very self centered and quite horrible.
    You don't even know what he said? Really, I at least bothered to Google it before replying - which reveals such fascinating trivia as the Anne Frank House staff defending the comment as 'quite innocent.'

But would you, please, Mr. Goblin, say what you think about such activities as faking asthma attacks, or getting banned from Disney World for punching Goofy?
    Nineteen year old displays poor judgement, general thoughtlessness? It's something the demographic is rather known for. I'm not saying they're good things, because they clearly aren't. They aren't any more monstrous or dumb than things a lot of people that age do however, and we generally refrain from lavishing them with hatred. Or at least I think we should refrain from lavishing them with hatred.

That this particular nineteen year old has a ton of money doesn't really change my thought in that regard. I know people who did far stupider and far more dangerous things at nineteen, aren't mega-rich, and seem to have turned out pretty much alright.

A lot of this seems a case of the Molehill-to-Mountain Reclassification Unit working overtime.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, suffice to say I heavily disagree with you, mate. Brushing this off as 'kids will be kids' is not, in my opinion, a very good reaction to all of these shenanigans.

You say that you know people who do stupider things than Mr. Bieber; well, I don't doubt that they're chastised on those things quite a lot! And with Justin, you mix his young age with being massively in the media's eye and having a huge, absolutely fanatic fanbase. It's important to point out that the hate coming on Justin isn't just from 14 year olds who think he's gay, it's from people who are honestly disgusted by his actions.

Besides, I'd hardly call this poor judgement or general thoughtlessness; just a complete lack of respect for anyone at all. He obviously cares for just about no one but himself, and his actions go on to show that starkly.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    This thread goes on my "Top 10 threads I was 100% positive was a spambot until I read it" list.
    +1 10char etc

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

It won't last.

The moment his wallet starts to empty he'll have a comeback tour or two. He's not the kind of guy to just fade gracefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Spamalot in the Playground

This is perhaps the best thing I found on this thread.
    Gotta bookmark that link for posterity.

I've been ignoring Bieber entirely. Apparently I had done a pretty decent job of that too because I didn't know over half this stuff that the thread has mentioned about him.

Just a reenforcement that I should keep on ignoring him.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

yuk Re: Fresh news about Justin Bieber!

Well, suffice to say I heavily disagree with you, mate. Brushing this off as 'kids will be kids' is not, in my opinion, a very good reaction to all of these shenanigans.

You say that you know people who do stupider things than Mr. Bieber; well, I don't doubt that they're chastised on those things quite a lot! And with Justin, you mix his young age with being massively in the media's eye and having a huge, absolutely fanatic fanbase. It's important to point out that the hate coming on Justin isn't just from 14 year olds who think he's gay, it's from people who are honestly disgusted by his actions.

Besides, I'd hardly call this poor judgement or general thoughtlessness; just a complete lack of respect for anyone at all. He obviously cares for just about no one but himself, and his actions go on to show that starkly.
    IF* he had proper actions taken against him, then it's good reaction.

He has to be chastised as much as any other young guy of his age.

His huge fanbase of people (kids?) willing to treat him as some kind of model or authority is quite frankly not his problem. Rather those people.

And plenty of people, at least those with enough money/power don't respect other people.

Such is life.

* don't know if
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.