A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Origin story I just wrote

So, I just had an idea for an origin story for a fantasy setting, and though I would share it.

The First Age: The Age of the Over-Deity

The Over-Deity came forth from the emptiness into a cold wasteland. He wandered this land for a thousand years before resolving to change it. He crafted from the ground a hammer, and with this hammer a crater, where he built a workshop. He labored for several more years, but his efforts were fruitless until one day he used his own blood to forge a blade. This Sword, called the Bloodblade was 20 feet tall, and the Over-Deity struck it into the earth. From that point, his own magic radiated out until he was no more. His last breath became a forest, and from that forest came the Others.

The Second Age: The Age of the Others

Nobody know what the others were like, for they were alien to us. They each had a piece of the Over-Deity within them, and thus had his power. They could warp the land that the Bloodblade had blessed. They fought each other until a wise Other, the wisest of all creature in the history of the world, save for the Over-Deity himself, brought the fight to a stop. He had found a way to live in eternal happiness, and they followed him. They ascended from this world, and into a land of eternal bliss, called by us mortals as the Far Realm.

The Third Age: The Age of the Deities

When the others left, the spirit of the Over-Deity was broken between the two worlds, and a link had to be forged. A new plane was created, accessible from the Bloodblade. The Astral Sea, we call it. It served as the link between the Far Realm and the Material Plane. And the spirit of the Over-Deity filled this land also, and new creature grew forth, called by us the Gods. Each god was unique, and had a different concept within them. There were many Gods, thousands even. They were, unlike the others, able to coexist peacefully in the Astral Sea.

The Fourth Age: The Age of Mortals

One day, a singular God, who's identity is claimed by each of the Gods today by their church, created a group of beings on the Material Plane, very different from the Gods. They were not filled with a single idea, like the Gods, or with no ideas, like the animals, but with many ideas. They were not eternal, and when the first one died, his soul went to the Singular God, who gained a large amount of power. The other Gods, seeing the Singular God get so much power, each tried to claim the souls of these mortals. The fight grew bloody, and thus we entered the fifth age.

The Fifth Age: The Age of War

When a god got powerful enough, he could slay another god and claim his idea. The gods were fighting, and the war destroyed much of the Material Plane. It was left a wasteland. Eventually it came down to 6 Gods, the ones we know today. These beings were all too powerful to kill each other, so the war would not stop until one day, a mortal hero gathered the devices of the Others and built a device around the Bloodblade, called the Conduit. The Conduit partially sealed the link between the Astral Sea and the Material Plane. Any divine energy that tried to pass through to the Material Plane was absorbed and dispersed in a way that would heal the land.

The Sixth Age: The Age of Peace

The Gods stopped fighting when they looked down at the Material Plane, and saw what they had done. Thus, with the help of the Conduit, the land was healed. It is said that the Conduit was buried under a mountain. Now the Gods can only influence the mortal through those who tried to wield the energy generated by the conduit. The various churches spend most of their time trying to find the Conduit, for if it did exist it could give their god unlimited influence over the Material Plane.

Wow, I didn't expect it to be this long. I started out with the basic concept of the 5th and 6th ages, and it grew from there.
    Last edited by Howler Dagger; 2013-01-27 at 08:15 PM.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Origin story I just wrote

Question: is this THE objective creation story?
    Second Question: How much does your average person know of this?
    Third Question: How was this knowledge maintained over the years? How did it pass itself down?
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Origin story I just wrote

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Question: is this THE objective creation story?
    I'm not sure, but I am sure this what the humans believe it is.

Second Question: How much does your average person know of this?
    The average person would probably know the basic idea behind the 5th and 6th ages.

Third Question: How was this knowledge maintained over the years? How did it pass itself down?
    The knowledge of the first age is likely to be myth. The story was kept by the churches. The second age is kept and maintained by scholars, who learn about the Others through the various things they left behind. The third and fourth ages are also kept by the church, but they claim the deities told them explicitly what happened. Recorded history begins in the fifth age, so everything after that is considered true, except for much concerning the Hero, which is often exaggerated.
    Last edited by Howler Dagger; 2013-01-28 at 08:49 AM.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin