New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: House Rules

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default House Rules

In the d&d group I am currently in, there are number of feats, traits and flaws we use often and I'm curious as to what other people think of them.

Note: Many of the feats are inspired off of a video game called Knight of The Old Republic which uses d&d 3.5 rules

Since Flaws and Trait's aren't vanilla I'll explain them quickly to those who don't know how they work.

Flaws: May pick up to 2, you suffer a penalty from them but for each flaw you have you pick an extra feat at level 1.

Trait: Normally you may only have 2 but for our d&d group it's infinite, they come with a benefit but an even bigger flaw.

Note I'm only listing flaws and traits we ourselves created, not all of the ones being used in the campaign.

Feats

Dueling (3 ranks): When you wield a one handed weapon in one hand and nothing in your off hand you gain +1 AC and Attack for each rank.

Fitness (3 ranks): Rank 1 and 3 provide one 1 HP for each character level (effectively, each HD). Rank 2 gives the player a DR 1/-.

Condition (3 ranks): +1 to all saving throws per rank

Skillfully Trained (Infinite ranks): Each time you take this feat pick a cross class skill and make is a class skill.

Flaws

Family Curse: -1 to all skill checks

Twilight Fan: You must make a new character, whatever character has this flaw dies a terrible death having either been killed a angry mob when their love for Twilight was revealed or having been killed by a wolf or zombie in an attempt to make love to them.

Unlucky: -1 to all saving throws

note

We do not have the flaw lets you subtract -2 from any ability score, instead we have six flaws each taking away 2 from a specific ability score and each with it's own name. The names for each is as follows:

Strength = Weak Muscles
    Dexterity = Clumsy
    Constitution = Weak Heart
    Intelligence = Thrown against a wall as a baby
    Wisdom = Slow Minded
    Charisma = Unsociable

Traits

Gifted: +1 to each ability score [u]after[/b] points have been spent or scores have been rolled. But all skills are now cross-class skills and the skill points gained per level is divided by 2.

Skilled: +1 Skill Point per level (+4 at level 1), but you gain no starting feat for level 1.

Honed: Gain a feat every 2 levels rather than every 3 levels, but gain 3 less skill points per level (12 less at level 1).

Wild Agility/Endurance/Strength: May only pick one...

Each of them provides -4 Intelligence you and you start of illiterate regardless of class

Agility = +2 Dexterity
    Endurance = +2 Constitution
    Strength = +2 Strength

Other house rules

Health per level is average rather than rolled.
    For example:

d4 = 2/odd levels, 3/even levels
    d6 = 3/odd levels, 4/even levels
    d8 = 4/odd levels, 5/even levels
    d10 = 5/odd levels, 6/even levels
    d12 = 6/odd levels, 7/even levels

Note: I relise the DM book has this as well, but it's reversed where odd levels are higher than even which I did not like.

If you roll a critical hit it is automatically a critical, no need to re-roll to confirm it. (This works for both players and enemies)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: House Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Gwazi Magnum View Post
    Feats

Dueling (3 ranks): When you wield a one handed weapon in one hand and nothing in your off hand you gain +1 AC and Attack for each rank.
    I like what this feat does (making one-weapon combat a bit better), but feats don't have "ranks." I you mean that you can take this feat multiple times, it becomes much less good. I'd rather have this be one feat that scales with either level or base attack bonus. Maybe +1 to attack and AC, and an additional +1 per 6 points of Base Attack Bonus.

Fitness (3 ranks): Rank 1 and 3 provide one 1 HP for each character level (effectively, each HD). Rank 2 gives the player a DR 1/-.
    So Improved Toughness x2 and a feat for DR 1/-? Not a fan of this one. Relatively boring when all is said and done, and DR 1/- is just one more minor thing forthe player to forget.

Condition (3 ranks): +1 to all saving throws per rank
    This one is a bit odd. It's quite good, but taking it more than once feels bad, as it's an extremely passive feat. I'd recommend not making this one stack at all.

Skillfully Trained (Infinite ranks): Each time you take this feat pick a cross class skill and make is a class skill.
    This feels very weak. I'd throw a +2 bonus on the skill in question.

Intelligence = Thrown against a wall as a baby
    This name really bothers me or some reason. What's wrong with, say, dim-witted? Further, why is this six seperate flaws instead of one? That encourages potential stat min-maxing, as you can now penalize multiple stats you don't need. Not sure I approve.

Gifted: +1 to each ability score [u]after[/b] points have been spent or scores have been rolled. But all skills are now cross-class skills and the skill points gained per level is divided by 2.
    This one is just a poor idea. It's great for min-maxing when you don't care at all about skills, and a terrible trap on any other situation. That's not good design.

Skilled: +1 Skill Point per level (+4 at level 1), but you gain no starting feat for level 1.
    It would be more graceful to make this a feat you can only take at level 1, and then give it to humans for free. It works exactly as written here, but you don't have to have the "you don't gain a level 1 feat" clause, because this can now be your feat choice at level 1.

Honed: Gain a feat every 2 levels rather than every 3 levels, but gain 3 less skill points per level (12 less at level 1).
    Why must the high-Int Wizard become stronger? Anyway, another min-maxer's dream trait. It's usually not a good idea to mess around with core mechanics like this: it's hard to tell if the trade is worth it, and it opens up some crazy build options that might be better left unviable.

If you roll a critical hit it is automatically a critical, no need to re-roll to confirm it. (This works for both players and enemies)
    What is the reasoning behind this change? What do you expect it to add to the game? Aside from the fact that Improved Critical and Keen are suddenly insanely good, as are weapons with an 18-20 crit range, I'm not sure what you expect to add to your game with this.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2013-02-02 at 02:00 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #3

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic
    I like what this feat does (making one-weapon combat a bit better), but feats don't have "ranks." I you mean that you can take this feat multiple times, it becomes much less good. I'd rather have this be one feat that scales with either level or base attack bonus. Maybe +1 to attack and AC, and an additional +1 per 6 points of Base Attack Bonus.
    Interesting idea I've never considered, I'll consider it when I re-write them but isn't this then potentially broken because 1 feat can become +3 AC and Attack?

So Improved Toughness x2 and a feat for DR 1/-? Not a fan of this one. Relatively boring when all is said and done, and DR 1/- is just one more minor thing forthe player to forget.
    Was not aware if Improved Toughness when I made this feat. I understand and that respect this feat isn't your style, but obviously extra health is a life saver for a number of characters.

As for the DR, looking back I can agree with this, but it's main utility in my group has been when the DM tries to kill us with traps or a mob of minions where the DR 1/- starts to add up.

This one is a bit odd. It's quite good, but taking it more than once feels bad, as it's an extremely passive feat. I'd recommend not making this one stack at all.
    Not stack with what exactly?

This feels very weak. I'd throw a +2 bonus on the skill in question.
    Noted, not something I had considered and I like the idea.

This name really bothers me or some reason. What's wrong with, say, dim-witted? Further, why is this six seperate flaws instead of one? That encourages potential stat min-maxing, as you can now penalize multiple stats you don't need. Not sure I approve.
    It was simply meant to be a funny name and the group did find it halarious.
    The reason they were divided was so I can personalize the name to the specific ability score, perhaps I should add a condition though where they are all in one group and it says something like 'may only pick 1'.

This one is just a poor idea. It's great for min-maxing when you don't care at all about skills, and a terrible trap on any other situation. That's not good design.
    This I have to agree have found to become min-maxers galore when used.

It would be more graceful to make this a feat you can only take at level 1, and then give it to humans for free. It works exactly as written here, but you don't have to have the "you don't gain a level 1 feat" clause, because this can now be your feat choice at level 1.
    I assume when you say 'give to humans for free' you mean it explains their skill bonus, not turning the +1 per level into +2?

I probably will change it into a feat though.

Why must the high-Int Wizard become stronger? Anyway, another min-maxer's dream trait. It's usually not a good idea to mess around with core mechanics like this: it's hard to tell if the trade is worth it, and it opens up some crazy build options that might be better left unviable.
    The point of this was I felt feats for most classes came by too slowly and I wanted a way to address that, expecialy with new feats being made and added with the house variants.

What is the reasoning behind this change? What do you expect it to add to the game? Aside from the fact that Improved Critical and Keen are suddenly insanely good, as are weapons with an 18-20 crit range, I'm not sure what you expect to add to your game with this.
    Reason was for simplicity.
    To reduce on the dice rolling going on, that and with the d&d group this rule was made for being new they were constantly forgetting to confirm it anyways.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwazi Magnum View Post
    Interesting idea I've never considered, I'll consider it when I re-write them but isn't this then potentially broken because 1 feat can become +3 AC and Attack?
    Combat feats scaling isn't a huge issue, honestly. I don't think it would mess up the balance hugely. Either that, or just leave it at +1 and have it not stack with itself.

As for the DR, looking back I can agree with this, but it's main utility in my group has been when the DM tries to kill us with traps or a mob of minions where the DR 1/- starts to add up.
    I'd consider making it at least 2/-, maybe with a Constitution prerequisite. Then at least it's a LITTLE less forgettable. I'd also make this it's own feat.

Not stack with what exactly?
    Given your "ranks" in feats, I assumed you could stack it with itself. I'd tend to avoid that with feat design.

I assume when you say 'give to humans for free' you mean it explains their skill bonus, not turning the +1 per level into +2?
    Exactly.

The point of this was I felt feats for most classes came by too slowly and I wanted a way to address that, expecialy with new feats being made and added with the house variants.
    Then just give everyone feats every 2 levels. Don't make it an option. Problem solved in a more balanced way: the skill-monkey no longer has to sacrifice his niche to compete with the skill-less barbarian in feats.

Reason was for simplicity.
    To reduce on the dice rolling going on, that and with the d&d group this rule was made for being new they were constantly forgetting to confirm it anyways.
    Hm. I still think the balance issues override the benefit, as this really skews critical hit balance. If you're forgetting crit rolls, you could remind people by having a special red d20 designated as the "crit die," and just keeping it in the center of the table to remind people it exists.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

as far as the -2 to an ability score flaws go, i'd just make it so that you can only choose that flaw if you have less than 10 in that ability score before racial modifiers. this way, you don't get the 18 str fighter who pretends to be weak to get an extra feat (he'll still have 16 strength, for god's sake. that's not weak by any stretch of the imagination)

edit: also, since we made it so you can only choose this for dump stats for continuity's sake, i'd ALSO make it a -3 or -4, so that the dump stat actually becomes an issue(if they have to use it, they're at a SERIOUS loss), not just a relatively low value that may come into play once every two weeks
    Last edited by Deaxsa; 2013-02-02 at 03:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

OrcBarbarianGuy

Combat feats scaling isn't a huge issue, honestly. I don't think it would mess up the balance hugely. Either that, or just leave it at +1 and have it not stack with itself.
    Though just a +1 AC, +1 Attack makes one handed fighting not preferable again.

Honestly however, after thinking it over last night I considered something like...

+1 AC and Attack
    This increases to +2 at BAB 6, +3 at BAB 11 & +4 at BAB 16 because knowing the monsters they'll be facing at those levels, they may need it.

I'd consider making it at least 2/-, maybe with a Constitution prerequisite. Then at least it's a LITTLE less forgettable. I'd also make this it's own feat.
    So one feat being DR 2/- and one feat being +1 HP per HD?

Given your "ranks" in feats, I assumed you could stack it with itself. I'd tend to avoid that with feat design.
    Yes that was what I meant, sorry. I thought you were refering to something else.

Then just give everyone feats every 2 levels. Don't make it an option. Problem solved in a more balanced way: the skill-monkey no longer has to sacrifice his niche to compete with the skill-less barbarian in feats.
    But this runs into balance issues, I just gave everyone more feats with no downside.
    Also note worthy: I'm not the DM, I just know the most out of the group on how the mechanics work so when I make house rules like this to expand gameplay and character customization the DM usually lets it in.

Hm. I still think the balance issues override the benefit, as this really skews critical hit balance. If you're forgetting crit rolls, you could remind people by having a special red d20 designated as the "crit die," and just keeping it in the center of the table to remind people it exists.
    Good idea, though it may be too late for my current group. We've reached lv.13 doing criticals this way, they may react badly to see it suddenly changed back when they hate additional dice rolls to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaxsa View Post
    as far as the -2 to an ability score flaws go, i'd just make it so that you can only choose that flaw if you have less than 10 in that ability score before racial modifiers. this way, you don't get the 18 str fighter who pretends to be weak to get an extra feat (he'll still have 16 strength, for god's sake. that's not weak by any stretch of the imagination)

edit: also, since we made it so you can only choose this for dump stats for continuity's sake, i'd ALSO make it a -3 or -4, so that the dump stat actually becomes an issue(if they have to use it, they're at a SERIOUS loss), not just a relatively low value that may come into play once every two weeks
    The way the group I'm in works is the 32 point build system.
    So ANY of their scores can be at 8 to begin with before racial modifiers and be left that way.
    There's no dice that will prevent them from doing so.

I do like the -4 idea however. :)

7. - Top - End - #7

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ok I thought of a new Trait but it's iffy and I want to run it through on here first.

Equilibrium

During character creation all your ability scores start at 10 rather than 8.
    You get 28 points to spend in character creation rather than 32.
    After Racial Modifiers no Ability score may be higher than 16 or lower than 10.