Page 1 of 65 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Village Hidden in the Marsh OOC

The Village Hidden in the Marsh, formerly of the Land of Shadows

{table=head] Player | Character | Short Description
    Jacior
    | |
    Young taijutsu genius, prone to in-exhaustible enthusiasm and unpredictable action
    Nyan
    | |
    Genjutsu prodigy. Un-emotional and dismissive of those deemed stupid
    Karrth
    | |
    Hyoutonist from the swamps, lacks a memory, regarded as dangerous

HanaRei
    | |
    A fleeing shinobi with a shadowed past, skilled in ninjutsu and taijutsu
    Regalus
    ||
    A skilled medic in training and member of the enigmatic Aburame
    [/table]

Spoiler
    Show

Setting

The physical setting is homebrew. Material is used selectively from the show. We're in a low fantasy game, with the goal of making the players major players fairly quickly.

The PCs are fresh faced genin for the Village in the Marsh, an older and more powerful village that uses its swampy terrain as much as anything to hide and protect it. There's concerns with the rate of death recently that has lead Yamanaka to only graduate students who can actually perform at the level their place will require them to. There are 6 major ninja villages in total, most in extreme environmments

Village Hidden in Ash: perhaps the most powerful ninja village, it is hidden near the Royal Capital city and houses the Uchiha, the largest clan, among others. Little is known about them to genin except for the fact that the King favours it as his closest protector

Village in the Ridge: houses giants and Akimichi, hidden atop the tallest mountain. Rumour has it Rikku Li hails from there originally. They are known for extreme physical strength and endurance, and make good soldiers, but have fewer good infiltrators. Or at least that's what they'd have you believe.

The villages in more recent times have been united under the crown of the fire king and largely assimilated into the armed forces. Young ninja are generally taught loyalty to the state before their village and even their clan, though how well that takes is quite variable. Still, the villages generally prefer peace to being in constant war with each other. The presence of the king means there are laws that must be adhered to on missions, though are waived depending on the rank of the mission

The Deepswamp: there are levels to the swamp even the hardiest ninjas dare not venture into. The deepswamp houses insane savages, often with odd bloodlines. A few 'blankfolk' have emerged from teh swamp, often to be hidden away by the old matron of the orphanage to avoid persecution, or are else cast away; they are amnessiacs, often with strange abilities themselves, and are believed to be swampfolk with redeemed sanity but not memory. It is said venturing too far into the Deepswamp will claim your sanity.

A lot of the setting is yet unfluffed so feel free to makeup elements as you please in backstory.

Each village has maybe 1 to 3 jounin, perhaps a handful of special jounin, and dozens of chuunin and genin at their disposal. With 3 Jounin, the Village has something of an internal council to keep it in check and a sign of their lasting power. Most prominent in public is Yamanaka Seno (the 'White Captain'), the woman in charge of the hospital.

That's all the setting i could think to add for now. I'll answer further questions as they come

Established clans/bloodlines in the village: Kamitora (largely inert), Nara and Yamanaka, Hivemind, and basically any you happen to be interested in. Swampfolk have crazy powers, but we already have one of those. I'll give more clan info when you start exploring town and making ninja lore checks, I don' want y'all to feel to constrained here

Chargen

4d6b3 for each stats, roll 2 sets and take the better (in fairness)
    Gain 1d4+1 techniques, plus Body Substitution Technique for free
    Starting ECL of 3
    No 'Genin' feat (yet)
    Gain Combat Martial Arts and Nin Weapons Proficiency for free
    Gain the appropriate armour proficiency for your class for free

Special Rules

Fractional BAB (important to you)
    Movement/Reflex Penalties
    Hostage rules
    Stacking Nonlethal Damage
    Oversized cover rules

I compressed a lot of skills into 'fields' in the interest of reducing skill tax, see below for list
    Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics (str)
    Jump
    Swim
    Climb

Wits (cha)
    Gather Information
    Bluff
    Sense Motive

Stealth (dex)
    Hide
    Move Silently

Acrobatics (dex)
    Escape Artist
    Tumble
    Balance

Perception (wis)
    Spot
    Listen
    Search

Persuasion (cha)
    Intimidate
    Diplomacy

Survival (wis) [see below]
    Survival
    Navigate
    Track [trained only]
    Note: now anyone using Survival can track. If a class would grant the Track feat, it instead grants a +4 on checks to track

Tinkering (Int)
    Disable Device
    Repair
    Demolition
    Note: Crafting can now be used to repair objects of the appropriate object category even without tinkering, at a -4 penalty.

For PCs and Heroic NPCs, gain following benefits:
    One feat every odd-numbered level in place of the normal progression of feats
    Two +1 bonuses to two DIFFERENT stats of your choice every even level

---
    Feat redesigns:

Toughness. Now gives 4+Con modifier HP (minimum 3HP, no more than triple your current level). This amount increases by 2 for each previous instance of Toughness taken. (so the second instance gives a maximum of 6+Con mod).
    Notes:Changes dynamically with Con (i.e. if you gain +4 Constitution (increasing modifier by +2) then each instance of Toughness gives an additional +2HP). Likewise, if the HP you would receive exceeds the 'triple your level' limit, then update the amount that instance of Toughness gives you when your level increases

Improved Chakra Pool. Now gives 3+Con mod (minimum 2) bonus chakra, and 2 bonus reserve. Every instance taken increases the chakra AND reserve gained by 1 each.
    Note: A character with Will over Flesh can use their Wis mod instead to determine the bonus chakra, at their option when taking the feat.
    Last edited by Princess Tracy; 2014-02-04 at 04:40 PM.
    Got three deadlines on April 29th, an exam on May 11th, and possibly surgery shortly afterwards. Posting will be slow for a while, sorry. After that though I'll be graduated (and unemployed) and be plenty capable of making up for lost time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Village Hidden in the Marsh OOC

Alrighty then, everyone post up your characters and I'll see about getting the IC together by Tuesday at the latest
    Got three deadlines on April 29th, an exam on May 11th, and possibly surgery shortly afterwards. Posting will be slow for a while, sorry. After that though I'll be graduated (and unemployed) and be plenty capable of making up for lost time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Enkouchi Tsume, ready for battle!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=503032

OKAY! Now im completely finished! With all the stats and items!....hopefully....and my age is 12 now
    Last edited by Nyan; 2013-01-28 at 04:44 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Should we start choosing text colours?, I had been thinking of probably going with Olive for Tozawa
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I'll take dark orange!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Blue shall be mine

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

red is my color

Gen ruan
    Do I need to do anything else?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

dammit.....I was planing on taking red.....or blue.....ill take cyan then

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's the IC

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...5#post14604545

the last paragraph is just there as a default. It'll occur when we're ready to move forward, after everyone's made a post.

Why don't you all introduce yourselves? get into character for a bit, maybe even interact with your fellow PCs. That's why I gave you the 10 minutes, after all.

If you've got any preference of who's on which team (still haven't finalised that) now would be a good time to get to know the people you suspect you'll be hanging out with the most

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I have a question? I put in my backstory I graduated early should I change that seince apparently now I havent? Unless I am not even in the room ofcourse...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyan View Post
    I have a question? I put in my backstory I graduated early should I change that seince apparently now I havent? Unless I am not even in the room ofcourse...
    Nah, it works just fine I think. You're in the room. The PCs are graduating now. The people in the class were rather specifically chosen to attend that day because they're ready, to some degree or another, to face the genin exams. Your character may be the youngest person present, but that's the situation as it stands

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh yeah, and everyone can make a Current Events (DC10) or Ninja Lore (DC15) [pick one, current events can be made untrained] to know about the proposal to graduate ahead of schedule. Normally graduation happens in Spring, you see, but times they are a-changin'.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

rolling for current events:(1d20+6)[13]
    Meow(Steam page)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(1d20+9)[13]

Rolling with ninja lore

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

'kay. Togath's on top of things, baby-Nyan not so much

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Just now realized I added a double modifier by mistake on mine, it's still high enough(10) to know about this, but it is slightly lower
    Meow(Steam page)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ninja Lore
    (1d20+3)[22]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=504681

Here's Tojo. When he became a monk as a child he left behind his surname. Let me know if there's anything missing.

And I guess I'll take this color.

Ninja Lore (1d20+8)[25]

Edit-Hell yea I know everything!
    Last edited by Nousos; 2013-01-27 at 09:05 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by TraceHyde View Post
    Your character may be the youngest person present, but that's the situation as it stands
    My character is the youngest! At 12.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jacior View Post
    My character is the youngest! At 12.
    Yeah about that I have forgotten to change my age ^^" my character is 10 ^^"

I have now changed my age ^w^
    Last edited by Nyan; 2013-01-27 at 10:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

17 year old Tojo and Enkouchi are gonna have tons of fun, especially since the 12 year old is stronger. At least Tojo is (slightly) faster.

Edit-Why would you want to be 10?
    Last edited by Nousos; 2013-01-27 at 10:28 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Wait.....Unless I have allready graduated then I dont need to change my age.....cause my character graduated at the age of ten....okay my age is now oficially 13 but for some reason I dont know now I am still there even tho I have graduated. xD

I will need the gm to give me some clarification on this so Ill just set my age to nothing untill I get to know xD
    Last edited by Nyan; 2013-01-27 at 10:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If you are here you haven't graduated. That's the point. This is gonna be the graduation test.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nousos View Post
    If you are here you haven't graduated. That's the point. This is gonna be the graduation test.
    Lets see what Tracy says first Before I change my age to 10 again xD

But if I have graduated I am 13. if I have not I am 10
    Last edited by Nyan; 2013-01-27 at 10:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

More of a random thought; how useful would having Tozawa take ranks in fuuinjutsu be?, Can you seal items into scrolls(to make carrying them easier) without it?
    Meow(Steam page)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    More of a random thought; how useful would having Tozawa take ranks in fuuinjutsu be?, Can you seal items into scrolls(to make carrying them easier) without it?
    Not without fuinjutsu - not to my knowledge, anyway. Go for it. I suggest you take Sealweaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyan View Post
    Lets see what Tracy says first Before I change my age to 10 again xD

But if I have graduated I am 13. if I have not I am 10
    To be more clear, you haven't graduated yet.

I would recommend beefing up your age to 13 or 14 though. 10 year olds have a limited roleplaying range.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TraceHyde View Post
    Not without fuinjutsu - not to my knowledge, anyway. Go for it. I suggest you take Sealweaver.
    I'll see if I have any ranks I could move around, if not, then I'll work on getting a few as we level up nd such.
    Meow(Steam page)