New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Crossroads: The New World

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I think Cahokian may deserve it's own Culture, since somebody growing up in the great city of the mound lords would have a very different lifestyle to somebody grown up elsewhere. I don't think the British need a culture distinct from Europeans, we can instead limit certain things (like Merlinic Wizards) to British characters, unless we want to make all British magically-adept.
    Merlinic wizards could almost just be a acf yeah? They already have racial acfs so limiting some by nation shouldn't confuse anyone.

I would say that Cahokian is part of the Mississippian culture the same way that people out on the country side are just as European as those in Paris. That's why we have a small selection of available background feats.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Maybe we could get the mechanical sides of some of the cultures put together and try a play test?
    I like this plan, but most of the custom-made classes are still incomplete.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    We could have it on skype? Play trivia games? Eat at our respective establishments simultaineously? Bacon?
    Well, I've got a webcam which I'm not sure how to install on my computer, but I could get to work on figuring that out. It would be really cool if we could all get on Skype for the anniversary (what day is that, Squish?). It's really odd to be so familiar with all of you, and not know what any of you look like. not that looks are important or anything. It's just kind of abstract.

I think Cahokian may deserve it's own Culture, since somebody growing up in the great city of the mound lords would have a very different lifestyle to somebody grown up elsewhere. I don't think the British need a culture distinct from Europeans, we can instead limit certain things (like Merlinic Wizards) to British characters, unless we want to make all British magically-adept.
    Yeah, i guess Cahokian deserves its own culture. I think that British would also warrant its own Culture, since their refusal to bow to the will of the Church is a major sticking-point in this setting.

Maybe we could get the mechanical sides of some of the cultures put together and try a play test?
    A play-test would be friggin' awesome. If we can make that happen, then let's do it!

But what's that you say? You want mechanics for Cultures? Your wish is my command. *blink*

{TABLE=HEAD]Culture|Background Feats|Background Skills|Home Language|Bonus Languages|Taboos
    Cahokian|Babble-Peddler, Cosmopolitan, Discerning Eye, Master of the Ledger|Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy, Linguistics, Sense Motive|Cahokian|Great Plains Tradespeak|Engaging in obviously unprofitable ventures
    Vinlandr|Berserker's Cry, Brewmaster, Corsair, Galley Slave, Fight On, Rugged Northerner, Drunken Brawler, Runescribe|Intimidate, Profession (sailor)|Norsq|Tuniititut, Inuktitut, Cree, Adlet, Français|Fighting dishonorably
    Lakota (Sioux)|Big Game Hunter, Focused Shot, Mounted Combat, Saddle Shrieker|Handle Animal, Ride, Survival|Lakota|Comanche, Cree, Great Plains Sign-Language
    Nʉmʉnʉʉ (Comanche)|Desert Dweller, Moonlight Stalker|Handle Animal, Intimidate, Stealth, Ride|Nʉmʉ Tekwapʉ (Comanche)|Cahokian, Great Plains Sign-Language, Nahuatl
    British (incl. English, Irish, Welsh, & Scotch)|Acadamae Graduate, Rapid Reload, Storm-Lashed, Sword And Pistol|Disable Device, Knowledge (Sea), Knowledge (Engineering), Linguistics, Profession (Sailor), Spellcraft, Swim|English|Dutch, Français, Iroquoian, Español|Eating insects; Indecent exposure*
    Français|Acadamae Graduate, Dilettante, Duelist, Natural Charmer, Sword And Pistol, Taunt|Appraise, Disable Device, Perform|Français|Cree, English, Español, Inuktitut, Norsq, Tuniititut|Eating insects; Indecent exposure*
    Castellano (Spaniard)|Caustic Slur, Taunt, Duelist, Horse Master, Sword And Pistol, Witty Feint|Disable Device, Knowledge (Religion), Ride|Español|Français, English, any Maya, Nahuatl, Pueblo|Making light of the Church; Eating insects; Indecent exposure*
    Tuniit|Big Game Hunter, Endurance, Ironguts, Rugged Northerner, Runescribe, Self-Sufficient, Toughness, Trapper’s Setup|Craft (Carving?), Survival, Knowledge (Nature)|Tuniititut|Adlet, Cree, Inuktitut, Norsq|
    Fúsāngrén (扶桑人)|Crossbow Mastery, Dazzling Display, Eastern Education, Extra Ki, Gunsmithing, Jumper, Landing Roll, Martial Mastery, Rapid Reload, Spear Dancer, Storm-Lashed, Sure Footed|Acrobatics?, Craft?, Disable Device|Zhōngwén (Mandarin)|Gǔandōnghuà (Cantonese), Salish, Haida, Quillayute
    Mexica (Aztec)|Bloodletting, Calmecac Education, Eagle Eyes, Jaguar Pounce, Rapid Grappler?|Craft, Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (The Spirit World), Profession (Farmer), Stealth, Spellcraft|Nahuatl|Español, Maya, Mixtec, Pueblo, Tarascan|Abusing a captive; Being drunk in public; Cutting down a living tree; Eating food that has been eaten from by a mouse; Stealing/Theft
    Slave/Freeman|Careful Speaker, Endurance, Secret Signs, Toughness|Bluff, Craft, Handle Animal, Profession (any), Ride?,Sense Motive|(as master)|(as master)|Eating insects; Indecent exposure*
    Nederlander (Dutch/Flemish)|||Nederlands/Vlaams (Dutch)|English, Français, Español, Iroqoian, Cahokian
    [/TABLE]

* i.e., openly exposing any part of the body other than the hands, forearms, face, neck, or cleavage.

(If you think that any of these are unrealistic, or based on stereotypes rather than accurate research, please let me know! I'll explain my reasoning behind each of them, and none of these are set in stone.)

Edit: AdmiralSquish, you were worried about running out of room for the Culture-stats and Culture-descriptions in the main thread: why not put 'em in the Cultures thread? I actually reserved a second post just for that reason.
    Last edited by SuperDave; 2014-01-14 at 10:12 AM.
    My Homebrew Projects

Crossroads: The New World - Tribes, colonists, trade confederacies, and empires both new and old collide in an alt-history North America, circa 1750 A.D. (On the road to publication!)

Author of Motor City Breakdown, Co-Author & Accuracy Consultant for Ashes of the Motor City
    Major Contributor, Tenebrous Seas Wiki

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi. I'm not sure this is the right place to do this, can I suggest a few monsters for this setting?
    1.Delgeth
    2.Atosis
    3.Ohdahwa
    4.Apotamkin
    5.Atunkai
    6.Black Tanamous
    7.Wishpooshi
    8.Mizhi Pizhew
    9.Djeien
    10.Dover Demon
    11.Letiche
    12.Cactus Cat
    13.Ganiadwaidhegowa
    Last edited by Megalagoras; 2014-01-11 at 08:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Bugbear in the Playground

Superdave, just some things for your table regarding the Fusangese

Putonghua is the modern (mainland) word for Mandarin. I'd suggest either using Hanyü or the broader Zhōngwén (which technically means all chinese languages).
    Cantonese is also Gǔandōnghuà. Guangzhou is the province.

Also you can remove the hyphen from the name and it'll basically be correct. Zhōngguórén is people from china, so Fúsāngrén would be people from Fúsāng.
    Last edited by Aux-Ash; 2014-01-10 at 02:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

New Skill: Interpreter (Wisdom or Charisma). While Great Plains tradespeak has greatly simplified communication, the new world still contains many different languages, and even the most educated traveler may find themselves unable to communicate with various groups. The Interpreter skill involves using a mix of hand gestures, and scattered, limited vocabulary from many languages in order to communicate. Every language known represents a +2 bonus on the check.
    An Interpreter check takes ten minutes, and establishes a level of communication.
    Less than 10: No common languages found. Communication limited to pointing and making noise. Example: The Apache Brave points to the canyon behind him and shouts a word you don't understand.
    10-13: Limited Communication. Basic concepts can be communicated (Food, Trade, Danger, Battle, Help, Water, Travel, ect). Example: The Apache Brave points at the canyon and tells you that something dangerous is there.
    13-15: More complex ideas are conveyed, proper nouns, and commands. Example: The Apache Brave points to the canyon and tells you there is somthing dangerous there, and that Aztecs are there.
    16-18: Nearly full communication. Simple Sentences. "There's Somthing in that Canyon that killed a group of Aztecs!"
    18-20: Full communication. Both sides may speak normally.

We may want to tweak or refine this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #1087

Superdave:
    The Anniversary is January 21st, the day the first thread was posted. Though I suppose we could celebrate the anniversary of this thread too...
    I'm still going down the list checking all these feats, I'll post all the ones I have concerns about in a bit, I'm drawing up a table for 'em.

Megalagoras
    Welcome to the thread! And yeah, that's the right place. If you have anything you want to contribute, just feel free to drop in.
    As for the monster list, I haven't really had time to go over it and look up each monster, but I certainly will.

BRC
    I don't think interpreting should be an entirely new skill. It would likely be a use of linguistics. I like what you have there, though.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Orc in the Playground

Regarding the Cultures I posted: Is it stereotypical for Spaniards to have Taunt and Caustic Slur? I was thinking we could disregard the stuff about being Small size or smaller.

I realized that Natural Charmer is designed for dhampir, so it'll have to be stricken from the "Francais" entry. But I can't decide whether the French being amorous is a silly stereotype or not.

I was really not sure what to put for Fúsāngren, so I just kinda threw out everything related to wuxia movies and Chinese inventions (like gunpowder, the crossbow, etc) that I could think of. We're gonna have to pare their list of Background Feats way down.

For the British, I thought that naval-related Feats and Skills would be appropriate, since they're a small island nation with a very powerful navy, so experience with the sea might be slightly more common among the British.

I also had a lot of difficulty thinking of appropriate Background Feats for the Slave culture, but I think I found a few that are both useful and historically accurate. I thought that Careful Speaker would be a good fit for the culture, since slaves did in fact live under one of the most psychotically oppressive governments ever created. I chose Secret Signs via the same line of reasoning. (Also, maybe we should roll Slave and Freedman into a single Culture, so that the entry doesn't feel as weird?)

I'm gonna try to link to the Feats in the Pathfinder SRD. But I can't guarantee I'll have time for that.

Oh, and does anyone have any ideas for "Nederlander/Dutch" culture?

Quote Originally Posted by Aux-Ash View Post
    Putonghua is the modern (mainland) word for Mandarin. I'd suggest either using Hanyü or the broader Zhōngwén (which technically means all chinese languages).
    Cantonese is also Gǔandōnghuà. Guangzhou is the province.

Also you can remove the hyphen from the name and it'll basically be correct. Zhōngguórén is people from china, so Fúsāngrén would be people from Fúsāng.
    Thanks for letting me know. I've made the recommended changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalagoras View Post
    Hi. I'm not sure this is the right place to do this, can I suggest a few monsters for this setting?
    1.Delgeth
    2.Atosis
    3.Ohdahwa
    4.Apotamkin
    5.Atunkai
    6.Black Tanamous
    7.Wishpooshi
    8.Mizhi Pizhew
    9.Djeien
    10.Dover Demon
    11.Letiche
    12.Cactus Cat
    13.Ganiadwaidhegowa
    Thanks for suggesting these, Megalagoras! I had thought that a few of them were already on the main page, but on closer inspection, it turns out I hadn't added them yet. Except for the 'Mizhi Pizhew', which we're calling Mishipeshu, and actually plays a major role in the spiritual world of this setting as the Spiritbeast of Water.

It's proving difficult to learn more about some of them. For example, 'Ganiadwaidhegowa' only produces a single Google result, which is for this very page. 'Black Tanamous' doesn't return anything except a heavy metal band. Could you tell me a little bit more about these monsters? Like which tribal mythology they're from, or what type of monster they are? The lack of standardized spellings for many Native American languages makes text-based online research difficult.

Some of these monsters you mentioned are actually fearsome critters (beasts from lumberjacks' tall-tales), not true indigenous American monsters. Some of them may have their place in the setting, but so far I've been reluctant to add them because they're actually from a different era (the early 1800s), and were created by a subset of working-class European culture which didn't exist at this point in history.
    Last edited by SuperDave; 2014-01-13 at 01:59 PM.
    My Homebrew Projects

Crossroads: The New World - Tribes, colonists, trade confederacies, and empires both new and old collide in an alt-history North America, circa 1750 A.D. (On the road to publication!)

Author of Motor City Breakdown, Co-Author & Accuracy Consultant for Ashes of the Motor City

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Concerning Slave vs Freedman, I would leave that to the discretion of the players.

A free black laborer living in Boston under constant racial discrimination and fear of being taken and sold into slavery by people who did not care about his legal status would have more in common with a plantation worker than anybody else.

At the same time, a man who is legally a slave, but works alongside his master as a fur trapper or merchant might have the Frontier culture. Though legally speaking they are a slave their life has more in common with other frontiersmen than with plantation laborers or even house slaves.

That said, I'm still pushing for not necessarily having Nationality fill the role usually filled by Race in DnD. With instead having generic cultures representing different lifestyles, rather than trying to come up with (frequently stereotyping) stats for each nationality.
    Last edited by BRC; 2014-01-13 at 02:20 PM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #1090

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Regarding the Cultures I posted: Is it stereotypical for Spaniards to have Taunt and Caustic Slur? I was thinking we could disregard the stuff about being Small size or smaller.

I realized that Natural Charmer is designed for dhampir, so it'll have to be stricken from the "Francais" entry. But I can't decide whether the French being amorous is a silly stereotype or not.

I was really not sure what to put for Fúsāngren, so I just kinda threw out everything related to wuxia movies and Chinese inventions (like gunpowder, the crossbow, etc) that I could think of. We're gonna have to pare their list of Background Feats way down.

For the British, I thought that naval-related Feats and Skills would be appropriate, since they're a small island nation with a very powerful navy, so experience with the sea might be slightly more common among the British.

I also had a lot of difficulty thinking of appropriate Background Feats for the Slave culture, but I think I found a few that are both useful and historically accurate. I thought that Careful Speaker would be a good fit for the culture, since slaves did in fact live under one of the most psychotically oppressive governments ever created. I chose Secret Signs via the same line of reasoning. (Also, maybe we should roll Slave and Freedman into a single Culture, so that the entry doesn't feel as weird?)

I'm gonna try to link to the Feats in the Pathfinder SRD. But I can't guarantee I'll have time for that.

Oh, and does anyone have any ideas for "Nederlander/Dutch" culture?
    Hmmm... this is a interesting question really, since the same things that we've been so careful about when it comes to the various tribes ought to apply to Europeans as well.

So yeah, I fear that the taunt and the natural charmer are stereotypes, and quite bad ones too. There's such things as polite spaniards and vile frenchmen after all.
    We want to capture some national traits, not too many, but at the same time avoid the worst pittraps.

But perhaps the reason these are slightly hit and miss is that the question is wrong?

Perhaps we ought not ask: What were the spaniards like? but the questions: How do the x see themselves and what impact have they left on western civilisation?

In that sense: Spain was the land of the Most Catholic Monarchs. Devout and adventurous. So their feats and skills perhaps ought to reflect on those traits?

France prides itself on being the epicenter of western civilisation, noone else quite agrees. But... France is even at this time at the forefront of culture, leading in medicine and involved in almost every political situation in Europe. In that sense, perhaps french traits ougth to reflect having access to the richness of french culture and learning, as well as another thing... look up the history of almost every military word in western civilisation and it'll be french in origin and indeed... at this time the french were considered to be fairly warlike and good at it.
    So learning and war for france's traits?

Britain. Napoleon, who isn't too far away, once dismissed the UK as the land of bankers. Though not a very nice statement, Britain was at the time, and still is, at the forefront of economics and had a well established and powerful mercantile class. Particularly influential in the colonies. Combine that with our version where they have their own and highly developed (and celebrated?) magical tradition.
    So mercantile and mysticistic? Perhaps toss in naval as well? It is the nation that gave the world the modern navy after all.

The dutch. The issue is that, much like britain they had strong merchants and a strong tradition of sailing. But where they do stand out was in their independent nature, their industriousness and their ability to make do. So perhaps feats and skills that reflect that.

The Fúsāngren, I think wuxia is the wrong approach. As far as China is considered, it is civilisation. It is a culture that promotes understanding, balance and strict hierarchies. Remember that the key to kung fu is not fancy moves according to the teachings, but balance of mind and understanding of the world.
    So inner peace. Mastering the self. That sort of stuff for them, perhaps?

As for slaves, I think BRC has it right. Perhaps the odd west african thing as well... sadly, I'm not too well versed in west africa.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

This is why I'm nervous about automatically tying Nationality to statistics.

In a pure fantasy setting it's easy. "What is a Dwarf" "Dwarves are good at mining" "Okay, all Dwarves get a bonus to mining". But in Crossroads we don't have that luxury. A character's statistics should come from the lifestyle they lead, not from their place of birth, or else you get things like "All Frenchmen are charming", "All Englishmen are good sailors". Plus, doing that limits other options. What if somebody wants to play a german mercenary, or an Italian Merchant, or a Greek Explorer? Are we going to stat out every potential nationality?

I think instead it's a better idea to say "People who grew up in Europe get statted like this, people who grew up in the colonies get statted like this, people who grew up as slaves get statted like this, people who grew up in Mexica get statted like this" ect ect. You can hand out native languages, and restrict a few things to characters from certain nationalities.

Trying to treat a character's nationality like DnD Treats their race just leads to stereotyping and unnecessary limitation. Whats important is not that they are French, it's that they grew up in France. Somebody who grew up in Paris has far more in common with somebody who grew up in London then they do with somebody who grew up in a small french trading post in Tuniitaq. Even though both the Parisian merchant and the Tuniitaq trader are both "French", their lives are very different and the crunch should reflect that.
    Last edited by BRC; 2014-01-13 at 03:14 PM.
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #1092

Hmmm... that's actually a fairly good point. It misses some nuance (there's a great deal of difference between Paris and rural Russia for instance) but you're probably right that it's the better approach. It avoids the stepping of toes, miscategorizing or outright dismissing cultures because they're not different enough.
    Chances are the nuance isn't major enough as is anyways.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Aux-Ash View Post
    Hmmm... that's actually a fairly good point. It misses some nuance (there's a great deal of difference between Paris and rural Russia for instance) but you're probably right that it's the better approach. It avoids the stepping of toes, miscategorizing or outright dismissing cultures because they're not different enough.
    Chances are the nuance isn't major enough as is anyways.
    some Nuance is going to be missed regardless. However, I feel that the increased versatility is going to be important.

Culture would be things like European, European Colonist, Great Plains Native, Tundra Native, Vinlander, Forest ect.
    Nationality would be things like British, Spanish, Sioux, Russian, Iroqouis, ect.

Certain Feats may be nationality-locked. For example, a feat about surviving in Cold Weather could be limited to people with the Russian or Scandinavian nationality, or anybody with the Tundra Native or Mountain Native culture. The Scarred Monk would only be available to Catholics, and the Merlinic Wizard would only be available to European (not Colonial or Frontier) character with the British nationality.

In the context of Crossroads the important thing should be "Old World" vs New World.
    Although I suppose a boston merchant and a london merchant are not that different. So maybe we should just do European and Frontier, rather than European, European Colonial, and European Frontier.
    Last edited by BRC; 2014-01-13 at 04:26 PM.
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry I haven't posted over here. I've been sick since Thursday and my brain just felt like mud.

Anyways, I also agree with BRC. The first time we suggested this was when we were breaking down the plains tribes. We went with language because it was an obvious connection between otherwise disparate groups of people. But we can make it simpler. Really we need to look at what we want culture to actually do.

I feel that the goal is give a sense of the characters background. Where he/she came from and grew up. Mechanically, we plan to give them bonuses to a few skills and a couple feats that they can choose from. The choosing is a big deal. It's why we can have large groups of people in picking out of the same pool. Maybe a noble in Paris and a commoner in Alsace don't have much in common, but the noble and the commoner would pick different feats to fit the background they come from.

15. - Top - End - #1095

Hey guys! My internet tried to die on me for the last few days. Took me three hours to load a single page, and it would time out every time I tried to post.

So, I just did a whole lot of offline work. Finally finished the vinlandr culture, which I post below for the moment. Still need to add in a phrasebook, but I wasn't able to look up any vocabulary while the internet was down.
    Also, I'm done with the huli jing race and almost done with their feats, and I have a bunch of cool ideas for the culture.
    Plus I did a bunch of work on sasquatches and witch-blooded. I decided that we're gonna have two cultures for sasquatches, a western culture and an eastern culture, the western culture being the ones dwelling in fusang, and the eastern culture depicting the sasquatches that live in scattered bands all around north america in the deep wilderness.

Vinlandr
    Spoiler
    Show

Background Skills: Intimidate, Profession (sailor), Survival,
    Background Feats: Berserker's Cry, Corsair, Galley Slave, Fight On, Rugged Northerner
    Native Language: Norsq
    Bonus Languages: Tuniititut, Inuktitut, Francais, English, Cree
    Taboos: Fighting dishonorably, (Not sure what else)

• Description Vinlandrs are an olive-skinned people, slightly fairer in complexion than the inuit who originally inhabited the lands. They have black or brown hair and brown eyes, though blue eyes arise periodically.
      • Clothing Typical dress for a vinlandr is made of fur and leather, though wool is becoming more common in some regions, gathered from trade with Europeans. The male garb consists of a belted, long-sleeved tunic with a knee-length skirt, warm leggings, tall boots, and a hooded cloak that can be drawn closed against harsh winds, stopping at about calf-height. Female dress consists of a soft leather shift that covers from ankle to wrist, and a fur overdress with short sleeves, a large hood, and an extra pouch under the hood that can be used to carry a baby. Gloves of seal leather or fur, depending on weather, are common on both sexes. Both genders wear a short knife in the hip, usually made of walrus ivory, mammoth ivory, or for the wealthy, iron.
      • GroomingVinlandrs are quite conscientious about cleanliness and grooming, unlike many of their neighbors. Traditionally, every member of the house bathes once a week and washes their face and hair each morning. In the warm moths, they may do this with stream or lake water, but in winter months it may require heating water over a fire to thaw it. Combed hair is the norm, and both males and females wear their hair relatively long. The males take great care maintaining their facial hair, which is much thicker than their inuit relatives. The styling is up to the individual, but most commonly it includes a moustache.
    • Life The daily life of most vinlandrs consists of the business of survival. The men hunt and fish all through the year, and the women tend small gardens and the household in general. Children typically help their mothers with household tasks until they come of the appropriate age to start hunting.
      • Arts and Crafts Vinlandr art is mostly sculpture, but can vary in medium from ivory, bone, wood, iron and stone. They favor intricate carvings of animals, people, and spirits, usually representational rather than abstract. Some who have spent time with Europeans have learned the art of scrimshaw and are quite adept at it.
      • Technology and Magic Vinlandrs are the first culture on the new world to mine and refine iron ore to weapons and tools. The clans of jarnholt, in the northern reaches of vinland territory, work several iron mines and have extremely talented forge masters capable of creating beautiful and deadly works of iron. In addition, the runic language the vinlandrs spread through tuniitaq forms the basis of a unique sort of magic know as runecasting.
      • Love Vinlandrs typically have arranged marriages, where the families of both partners arrange for their children to be wed while the children are very young. Love marriages are acceptable, but relatively rare. Typically, there’s little ceremony. The wedding is accepted, but not truly official until the first child is born. Polygamy is acceptable, but rare, as a man must be able to provide for all of his wives and children. Either partner may demand divorce under certain circumstances, and sometimes there are arranged spouse-trades, which is somewhat beneficial as both families will still have both partners in the relationship.
      • War Vinlandrs rarely have full-scale war, though it’s relatively common for clans to raid one-another for supplies. Honorable combat takes an important place in vinland culture, and fighting dishonorably is considered shameful. Most combat simply uses the ubiquitous knives or spears, but most jarls and some particularly skillful warriors may use iron weapons. Firearms are generally disliked, but those who regularly come into conflict with Europeans may find them necessary. Oddly, the dislike of firearms does not apply to cannons, which they take great pleasure in using.
      • Death Vinlandrs believe it is important to die an honorable death or bring shame on their ancestors. An honorable death requires you to die in the process of accomplishing something, such as dying in battle, or in childbirth, or at the forge working on something. A dishonorable death comes from sickness or age. When one dies an honorable death, they are first buried for a week, then disinterred and placed in a canoe with their knife and some of their favorite belongings. The canoe is then pushed out to sea and set afire with a flaming arrow. Sometimes rich individuals will be buried in a canoe under earth and stones, and have an inuksuk constructed atop their resting place, carved with runes to tell of the important events in their life. Some important jarls will even have the inuksuk animated to protect their resting place and their treasures.
    • Society and Culture Vinlandrs typically live in wide-sprawled clan settlements, with multiple related families living in close proximity to one-another. Each family is largely independent, but they cooperate on large hunts or other large tasks and submit to the authority of the clan jarl. Sometimes multiple families will share the burden of a small farm to produce extra food or other goods, but only in latitudes that will support it.
      • Leadership Each clan is typically led by a jarl, an elected male who settles conflicts between the families and generally looks out for the well being of the clan as a whole. The jarl’s family moves into the Jarlheim, a wooden home centered in the clan’s territory. The jarl and his family are fed, clothed, and generally supported by the rest of the clan as long as he continues to serve their best interests. Most jarls have influence over between 12 and 20 families. The most powerful jarls may represent as many as 100 families. Jarls are generally in charge of large-scale trading, selling surplus leather, ivory, food, and fur to their neighbors for various important goods such as boats, weapons, and even iron goods. There’s no term limit for a jarl, but he can be removed at any time if he fails to look out for his clan.
      • Social Structure The social structure in vinland is simple. The man is considered the head of the household, though the woman has much more influence and many more rights than traditional European family groups. A child is considered under his parent’s authority all through his life, even once they have a family of their own.
      • Family The typical family group in vinland consists of a husband and wife, their children, and the husband’s surviving parents. Families in vinland are patrilineal, with possessions and names being, largely, passed down from father to son. However, a dying individual can leave instructions to be carved upon a marker stone as a sort of will, indicating who they wish to inherit what.
      • Traditions Vinland traditions are a blending of native inuit traditions and norse. One example is the typical vinland wedding. When both children come of age, the man is sent out to hunt alone, to bring back an offering of food to prove he can support his wife-to-be. The larger the offering, the better. If the woman accepts, they go a specially prepared private tent, where the woman prepares a ceremonial meal from the kill. They eat it together to seal the bond, then consummate the union until morning.
    • Other Races Vinland is home to a number of tuniit, the giant-born making up about 25% of their total population. The vinlandrs rarely contact the adlet, but they have been introduced through their mutual allies the tuniit. The vinlanders once upon a time clashed with the tuniit, but were eventually brought into the fold through a sequence of political marriages with various jarls.
    • Religion Vinlandr religion is largely shamanistic, almost wholly transferred from other inuit cultures, but there is a ‘great spirit’ known as Anirnialuk, king of all the spirits, who, upon a close examination, very closely resembles a Christian god. Legends of Christ’s life have fused with legends of Kivuq, the resultant individual know as Vitrqristr.
    • History and Folklore One tale known by all vinlandrs is the story of the breaking of the colonies. More than 300 years past, there were two colonies near the southern tip of greenland. But there was a terrible disaster. Some say a sea serpent destroyed the ships bringing supplies to the colonies. Others say a thunderbird attacked the colonies in a storm of elemental fury. Others still place the blame on pirates. But once the colonies broke, the survivors, barely able to survive the winter, begged the mercy of the natives they lived alongside. In their mercy, they let them into their tents. Over the following years, the children born on the coast were fairer skinned than their neighbors.
    • Language Vinlandrs speak Norsq, a fusion of Old Norse and Kalaallisut. The language shares most of it’s grammar rules with other inuit languages, but borrows a lot of vocabulary and sounds from the norse tongue.
      • Phrasebook (None yet)
      • Written Language Vinlandrs use a largely unchanged version of the old norse runic alphabet to spell out the sounds of their words. The alphabet has a few symbols added to accommodate the new sounds of the native languages.
      • NamesVinlandrs often inherit names from their ancestors. Vinlandr names are unisex, and so it‘s not uncommon for a girl to be named after her grandfather. When a vinlandr child comes of age, they can attempt to earn a title of sorts, by accomplishing some great feat, like hunting a monster or creating some particularly beautiful sculpture or powerful spell.
    • Cities and Settlements Most vinlandrs don’t live in cities, and indeed, may go their entire lives without seeing a proper city. The vinlandrs only have one truly notable city, Jarnholt, the city in the north where the vinlandrs mine great quantities of iron and forge it into a multitude of tools, weapons, and even armor for the most wealthy.
      • Economy Vinland economy is cycle of iron and food. Ships from the southern island sail north with food from their farms and fish from the fertile seas. Ships sail south from jarnholt with iron weapons and tools. Once a year just before winter sets in, a massive shipment of cod makes the journey north in nitthoq, a mighty artifact ship that’s sailed the waters of Vinland for almost 500 years. Along the way, it stops along the shoreline to take on tribute for jarnholt’s jarl, gifts of furs, lumber, ivory, and other such things. The shipment is delivered to jarnholt and when the seas thaw again, it makes the journey south again, giving gifts of iron tools to those who paid appropriate tribute on the journey north.
        There is smaller-scale trading done between neighboring jarls. However, the chance that your neighbor will offer a trade or raid you for what they need is always in flux.
      • Example city The city of Jarnholt is in the north of vinland, on the western coast of greenland. There is only one overland route through the ice fields, and the terrain shifts each year. The port is quite full, with ships from all across vinland eager to trade for iron. In the winter, the seas freeze over, leaving the city isolated. There are four jarls in Jarnholt, three representing individual iron mines, and one who represents the ironsmiths who forge the raw ore into weapons and tools. Some here hunt seals, whales, and fish, but most work in the mines or the forges, and the bulk of the city‘s food is gained in trade. Women and men work alongside each other in the forges, the women tending the flames while the men work the metal.
    • Creating Vinlandr Characters Vinlandr characters are most often brutes, hunters, or runecasters. When creating a vinladr, consider where in vinland they were raised, as the drastic difference in latitude can change how they lived day to day. The latitude can affect the availability of iron, the availability of vegetables and wine, and the wildlife.
      • Special Options (None yet)
      • Vinlandrs as Characters Vinlandrs have a wide breadth as characters, from a wise runescribe that records historical events, to a fearsome berserker who goes into a frothing fury in battle, to a hunter who seeks to slay some fearsome monster, or a magic-wielding jarl seeking revenge for the slaughter of his clan.

Computer's still being really weird. I'll try to get back to everyone about cultures/nationalities and such, but it may become undoable.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2014-01-13 at 09:57 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1096

Okay, so, there has been quite a bit of discussion regarding nationality, culture, and stereotypes. I'm gonna try to respond as completely as possible.

What I see the culture system as trying to express is not nationality, but culture, a shared group of traits that identify a people as a group. Language is a large part of this, but it also extends to values the individual was raised with, such as the status of women, and cultural technologies, like shipbuilding techniques or magical practices, and the skills they may have learned along the way, like riding or hunting. This is supposed to make it so playing a human isn't just a 'human', you have more of an identity than that, you play a french musketeer, or a fusang wizard.

Now, just giving stats to different cultures is unquestionably unacceptable. If I said some cultural group got +2 strength -2 intelligence, that would get very offensive very quickly. Plus, we can't really say that every person in a culture has the exact same traits. However, there are some things that each culture has access to. For example, the aztecs had universal education, which means that all aztec children had access to the same body of knowledge. So, we could express that by giving the aztec culture the option to make knowledge (history) a class skill, or by offering a bonus feat that gives them a bonus to knowledge (religion). Of course, not every aztec is a good student, so maybe they chose to take a different feat or a different skill. Maybe they better took to combat training, so they gained a combat feat instead.

In summation, it's more about how you grew up than where you grew up. However, there is a certain amount of overlap there. Two children growing up a block away from each other will likely have more common traits than ones who grew up in different countries, and ones who grew up in countries with drastically different values will be more different still. The question is, where exactly do we draw the line to separate one culture from another culture?

The line should be, theoretically, where the similarities become less powerful than the difference, but determining where that line is, exactly, is a bit of a challenge.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1097

Alright, I just posted the Huli Jing race and feats. I may have gone a bit overboard on the feats, but I needed to make enough for the huxian feat to work. Still working on their culture entry.
    Also, I'm considering changing the name to hujing, which is a less-common but older term for the spirits. It rolls off the tongue better, but it might not be as immediately recognizable.

Edit:
    I've been working on the runecasting system, but I just can't make it work the way I want it to. I want a set of modular runes that can be plugged together in any combination to create various effects, with versatility and power increasing as you include more runes in a glyph. I.E. fire-protect conjures a shield of fire around yourself, whereas fire-protect-area creates a bubble of fire to protect a small field. However, I can't make it so the runes are really universal, it seems. I may just have to end up making a full-on list of viable glyphs...
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2014-01-16 at 11:58 AM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    What I see the culture system as trying to express is not nationality, but culture, a shared group of traits that identify a people as a group. Language is a large part of this, but it also extends to values the individual was raised with, such as the status of women, and cultural technologies, like shipbuilding techniques or magical practices, and the skills they may have learned along the way, like riding or hunting. This is supposed to make it so playing a human isn't just a 'human', you have more of an identity than that, you play a french musketeer, or a fusang wizard.
    I was thinking pretty much exactly the same thing, you just beat me to it. It's not about who your parents were, it's about who raised you. They're frequently the same thing, but not always. And just because you're an adult doesn't mean you can't be raised and mentored by someone, or even a whole group of someones.

------------

The Vinlandr culture write-up looks great, AdmiralSquish; I think they'll be a lot of fun to play! You've clearly done a ton of research on them, and it really makes the treatment shine. I'll go add 'em to the Cultures thread, along with the others I've added to it. I was thinking we'd put the crunch in the first post, and fluff in the second.

------------

I'll leave my comments on the Huli Jing in the other thread. I'm so excited about Fusang!

------------

So, the big anniversary of the thread is coming up. Is anyone else interested in doing some kind of group Skype/GoogleHangount thingie? I think it'd be really cool if we could set that up.

I'm free this weekend, except for Saturday during midday and Sunday during Downton Abbey. Monday's a holiday, so I'd be free that day too. Anyone wanna set something up?
    My Homebrew Projects

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

First, I'd like to state that this an amazing setting. I love the concept behind it and can't wait to see more of it as it gets posted/edited in. I've also really enjoyed all the thought and detail that his gone in, not only to the setting and explanation itself, but the fluff and crunch of ALL the races that you've created thus far.

Secondly, I just caught up to the rest of the thread today, as I discovered this late last night/early this morning after posting a new thread in the fourm and like the amount of teamwork that's been going on here. So I'm kind of aware of what's going on.

Lastly, I'd love to get in on a play test for this setting to help with fleshing out everything that's not quiet settled or confusing (as Admiral Squish mentioned w/ the rune casting) or even doing something else to help you and everyone else further this onwards to completion.

~ Chaotic Chewy
    Last edited by Chaotic Chewy; 2014-01-19 at 04:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chewy, if you were a real Drow, you'd be a Sorcerer/Alchemist with a nack for explosions and a prechant for won ton destruction and joyful mayhem. ~ My drunken DM

Originally posted by BRC
    Few people who want to play a monk actually want to play a monk (as in a semi-mystic kung fu master). What they (or at least I) want to play is somebody who can punch a dragon to death.
    Raptors are serious business.

20. - Top - End - #1100

Right, finally I managed to get this rolling. I decided to change approach completely and redo it all from scratch as I realised I was in way over my head in my first approach.

But one afternoon's worth of typing later, I give you my suggestion for the first 80 years of post-columbian mesovespuccia.

Cortez war
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cortez begins his conquest of Mexico in April 1519 by establishing Veracruz and allying with the neighbouring Totonacapan and convincing them to rebel against Moctezuma II. He had become a renegade when he had fled from Cuba to avoid governor Veláscuez from relieving him.

Following contact with Mexica Tenocha ambassadors, he departs Cēmpoalātl, capitol of Totonacapan, with an army of Spaniards, African freedmen, Taíno and a large totonac warhost. Initially they face hostilities from the Tlaxcaltec but eventually forms and alliance.

Spurred by the gifts provided by the Mexica Tenocha, he departs Tlaxcala and heads for Cholōllān, now also accompanied by a large tlaxcaltec warhost. Initially welcomed, Cortéz turns on the Cholōllān nobility and massacres them in the city square. During the fighting the eldest of the Amicqui falls prey to the flames as the temples are put to the flame. The Spaniards maintains this was in self-defence. The Mexica maintain he was being manipulated by the vengeful and deceitful tlaxcalteca. The death of the Amicqui, while suspected, is not yet confirmed by the Mexica.

Finally invited to Tenochnitlan 18th of November 1519, Cortéz takes his host there. He quickly seizes control over the palace and makes Moctezuma II his captive and rules through him. The nobility quickly start to be aggravated by the spaniard’s decrees.

In April 1520 he sets out with his army to stop Pánfilo de Nárvaez, who had recently arrived in Totonacapan from Cuba, from taking him into custody. He soundly defeats Panfilo the 27th of May.
    Meanwhile, de Alvarado back in Tenochnitlan sparks a major revolt by massacring nobles celebrating Toxocatl. During this revolt, the Amicqui stirs and the priesthood points out de Alvarado and Cortéz as responsible for the crime at Cholōllān. Cortéz returns to a city up in arms and has to fight his way in, only to find his top lieutenant dying and his people under siege. June 30th Moctezuma II is stoned to death by an angry mob as he tries to calm his people and the nobles choose Cuitláhuac as their new Huey Tlatoani (emperor).

The night of July 1st, the Noche Triste, Cortéz tries to fight his way out of Tenochnitlan on the northern causeway out of the city towards Tlacopan. Unfortunantely, the tepanec send out a warhost that intercepts his forces on the warhost. Trapped between the tepanecs and the mexica most of Cortéz forced perishes or is captured. Cortéz himself gets away but dies from his injuries a few days later in Tlaxcala.

War eternal against Caxtilteca 1521 - 1550
    Spoiler: Triple alliance
    Show
    The aftermath of the war profoundly changed the Triple Alliance. Most notably in 1521 a massive smallpox epidemic, brought to Mesovespuccia by a soldier under Pánfilo de Nárvaez, ravages the lands. The priesthood mitigates the impact of the disease, but the epidemic (which is quickly followed by a wave of measles) still kills hundreds of thousands over the region.

A cadre of shrewd priests capitalizes on this, the death of the Amicqui and a relatively weak emperor and declares eternal war against the vile Caxtilteca (castillians or spaniards), more or less seizing power in the alliance. Over the next few decades, they gradually increase their influence through a combination of disease, political purges and taking control over key locations.

Cholōllān becomes a prize and is massively fortified and secured with a massive warhost to guard against Tlaxcala (a few days to the north) and Veracruz and Totonacapan (roughly a week east of the city). During this period the Amicqui soldiers are created to guard the blessed ones, the spirit fields are staffed mostly by nobles sacrificed as part of the political purges.

Spoiler: Surrounding cultures
    Show
    A cold war develops between the Triple alliance and the Spaniards. Mostly consisting of attempted raids and proxy wars. The Spaniards are spurred on by pressures from Madrid to actually produce some sort of worth from the colony, their interest quickly fading in a largely expensive affair. The Triple alliance as part of the political shift (anyone speaking against the war eternal ends up sacrificed).

Totonacapan, Huasteca and the Mayan city states in Mayalatolli and Cuauhtēmallān (Guatemala) suffer in particular, being caught in the crossfire.
    Caught between the Spaniards in the southeast and the Mexica to the northwest, the various maya peoples in the highlands began to look to their own safety.

In 1527 the Kaqchikel of Iximche formed a defensive coalition with the intent of keeping both mexica and Spaniards out of the highlands. In response the K'iche' Kingdom of Q'umarkaj, enemies of the Kaqchikel, quickly formed their own defensive coalition resisting the Kaqchikel coalition. Neither coalition lasted very long and not once were they truly tested, but it sowed the seeds for future such endeavors throughout Mayatlahtolli (Yucatan, Tabasco, Campeche, Belize, and Guatemala).

The P’urépacha too are affected by the Eternal war, once more being seen as a target for ambitious soldiers. The same applies to the Mixtec and the Zapotec at the southern end of the Triple alliance, who rebelled against the tyranny imposed by the Eternal war.

However, the three formed relations with a new arrival to their shores, the Hǎiyuánrén ( 海员人) operating out of Fúsāng: A set of seaborne clans operating out of (California) that through trade helped the three small nations resist their giant neighbor. Ultimately it was not enough for the Zapotec, but for the time being the Mixtec and P’urépacha remained independent.

Spoiler: Spain
    Show
    Spain’s focus on the new world had never really been that prominent. It was interested in the new world and viewed it as a potential source of great wealth. But all its successes had been accomplished by a small cadre of military adventurers. It never committed armies or navies, but remained little more than a financier for these ambitious men.

After the catastrophic defeat of Cortéz and the continued lack of revenue coming out of Cuba, Hispaniola and Castilla del Oro the crown started to become increasingly impatient with these adventurers. The colonies suffered a huge loss of manpower as both locals and Spanish settlers kept dying of disease, having prompted them to get involved with the fairly expensive slavetrade for labour. Carlos I, king of Spain and Emperor of the Holy Roman emperor, was fed up with paying for the colonies and started to look to his interests in the empire.

Instead, the ambitious conquistadors faced the harsh truth that they had to finance their own adventures and that they frequently had to send large sums of money back to Spain proper. The explosive growth that the New World colonies had seem stifled and stagnated, and the conquistadors who dreamed of countries of their own to rule had to settle for little more than raids on Mayan, Mexica and Huastec lands. Expeditions that yielded little profit and often what little was taken was often taken by the crowns tax collectors.

The most famous and successful of these raiders was Cortéz cousin Fransisco Pizarro, who not only conducted a few successful raids along the pacific coast, on Belize and the Itzá of northern Mayalahtolli but also scouted along the Missisippi River (never quite reaching Cahokia), explored the coast of Florida and explored the coastlines of northern south Vespuccia. All from his base in Castilla del Oro.

But despite this, Spain’s interests in the new world waned considerably. Occasionally a merchant was allowed a charter to set up a small trade outpost on an island or on the mainland. But more often than not, they had to be the primary financiers of these endeavors.

The dawn era 1558-1600
    Spoiler: Triple Alliance
    Show

1658 the triple alliance virtually collapsed under the tyranny of the Eternal War policies. Despite the claims of the priests, there were no signs of any reprieve from the diseases that were promised as a reward from waging war on the Spanish and a combination of the policies and the massive loss of population led to widespread famine. Sacrefices become more and more each year and many of the subject peoples became increasingly fed up with constantly being pressured for the tribute.

The military became increasingly disillusioned by being asked again and again to engage in futile expeditions through Mayalatolli to reach Castilla del Oro or yet another siege of Veracruz (which as always ended with the majority of the army dead of disease).

Taxes were high and dissatisfaction widespread, but it was when the priesthood insisted they could decide who the next Huey Tlatoani of Tlacopan would be that the floodgates burst open.

Tlacopan and Texcoco both, two out of three core members of the Triple alliance rose in rebellion. Soon Cholōllān, by now a massive fortified citadel city, joined the two against the Eternal War priests.
    Many lesser cities rose on Tenochnitlan’s side, but much of the merchant class supported the rebels. With them they brought their contacts among the P’urepácha, Mixteca, Mayalatolli and even Totoneca (and thus, by extension, unnoticed by both Mexica and Spaniards, Spain itself).

The Amicqui remained dormant. By and large, they had remained rather quiet during the Eternal War. With their silence, many lesser priests and priests among the subject peoples threw their lots in with the rebellion.

Despite this, the civil war raged for no less than 12 years. The Zapotecs once more cut ties with the alliance, this time supported by the emergent kingdom of Iximche in Cuauhtēmallān. In praxis, this largely meant they replaced their Mexica overlords with Maya ones.
    Veracruz seized the opportunity to expand and try to link up with the Tlaxcaltec, a people who had been hard pressed by barely managed to retain their independence. Paradoxically and largely unknowingly the Spanish provided crucial supplies for the rebels.

P’urépacha and the Mixtec found the civil war a very welcome reprieve and even benefited from the trade the war generated. Providing the Mexica with P’urépacha copper weapons among other things.

The war was as much a conflict between conservative powers and reformative ones as it was one between priests on one side and military and merchants on the other. A lot of nobles and soldiers supported the priests. But in 1570, the war finally died down.

A new Triple Alliance rose from the shell of the old. Instead of a small clique of priests, the dominant powers became the imperial court in Tenochnitlan (who towards the end had thrown in his lot with the rebels), the military establishment and the merchant caste.

Many of the restrictions were lifted, and for the sake of peace many subject peoples no longer had to provide a massive tribute of people for annual sacrifices. Sacrifices did by no means go away, but it was a much more muted affair. Often limited to corrupt officials and nobles, slaves bought for the purpose (often captured from the chichimeca north of the empire). Emphasis instead shifted a lot to sacrifice of blood, rather than life, and that a life of service was a life of sacrifice.
    Two notions that had already been common prior to Cortéz, but had made much more popular with the crippling epidemics and the associated loss of life and the largely unpopular Eternal War.

With the civil war ending, the Triple alliance started to recover. Tlaxcala’s days were eventually numbered and in a lightning campaign in 1574 the city was finally conquered and the Caxtiltec driven back to Veracruz and Totonteca.

Ironically, despite having been the chief stronghold of the Eternal War priests, Tenochnitlan became something of the political capital of the empire. Increasingly, it became the administrative centre of the huge state apparatus and the markets expanded manifold. Once Cholōllān was recognized as equal to the three core cities and an integral pillar of the empire this was more or less cemented. From this point on, the term Triple alliance started to wane in favour of the name Aztlatlan.

This period also saw the rapid expansion of Mexican Christianity. The religion had gained a foothold during Cortéz’s war and the initial Eternal War, but had quickly become outlawed and been a scapegoat for the Eternal War policies and excesses. With the victory of the rebels, the persecution the Christians faced largely disappeared. The unspoken agreement was that they would be allowed to follow their own faith as long as they were subtle about it.

Spoiler: Mayalatolli, Mixteca and Tzintzuntan
    Show

The end of the Eternal War that had defined the region happen simultaneously as the first modern Mayan state was formed. The kingdom of Iximche, a successor to the earlier coalition, formed as much as natural development of the coalition itself, and as a response to the civil war up north. Iximche became the capital much because it was the premier power and it quickly overwhelmed and conquered their ancient enemies among the K'iche' Kingdom of Q'umarkaj.
    A chief reason for its success was that the civil war meant no more Mexica or Spanish expeditions to plague the highlands.

They quickly seized the opportunity to secure their borders and allied with the Zapotecs that were rising up against the Eternal War. Sending soldiers to help fortify their settlements and repel Mexica armies trying to reconquer them. A measure that proved largely successful.

The creation of Iximche soon led to the formation of another Mayan state, Itzá in the Petén basin just northeast of Iximche: Neither state were true kingdoms in the European sense of the word, they were ruled by monarchs but in truth they were more akin to noble oligarchies or confederations.

However, thanks to a fusion between their own culture and some ideas introduced with the Hǎiyuánrén-traders to the Mixtec and Zapotec and some introduced with Christian missionaries, these kingdoms would probe fairly resilient.
    The introduction of P’urépacha copper tools also helped these states greatly.

Further north, the P’urépacha had reached a comfortable position. They had secured their access to the Pacific, and thus, to the Hǎiyuánrén network and with it they grew into the prosperous and powerful kingdom of Tzintzuntan.

They greatly benefited from the civil war in the Triple alliance, but when the war finally died down the trade did by no means cease. Instead it multiplied several times, and Tzintzuntan found itself the primary middleman between Fúsāng and the Triple Alliance. Providing them with enough wealth to maintain a strong and well trained army that would keep their borders secure.

The Mixtec had similar success, though less established than Tzintzuntan, several new towns quickly sprang into life. In the north they were fortified fortresses to protect against Mexica armies and along the coast merchant cities of mixed Mixtec and Hǎiyuánrén trader communities formed organically in natural harbours.

Spoiler: Spain
    Show

The religious conflicts that ravaged Europe from 1550 onwards sucked in everything Spain had and largely drained the New World settlements of the same adventurers that had been its core proponents and cause of rapid expansion. This was perhaps the primary reason New Spain capitalized so little on the crippling civil war in the Triple alliance.

The New world colonies became something of a backwater of the Spanish empire, everything of true worth was located in Europe. Spain looked at the riches the Portuguese brought in and many thought that they had drawn the shorter straw. They did grow lots of cashcrops, primarily sugarcane, on Cuba, Hispaniola and Jamaica and spices in Castilla del Oro though.

The New world was perhaps a disappointment to the crown, the conquistadors and the nobles but a small emerging group of merchants were making money by the bucketload. It still paled compared to what the Portuguese were raking in, but it was nothing to scoff at. The businesses grew slowly though, as most merchants had to fund it themselves.

Some merchants started looking at attempts to use Castilla del Oro as a middlepoint for shipping to and from China and when one of them finally managed to find the sea route to the Phillipines interest in the small colony sparked up again. Even the crown became interested, and when the merchants of the colony came into contact with the Hǎiyuánrén network they agreed to start backing mercantile companies between Spain and Castilla del Oro and between Castilla del Oro and the sinosphere.

It is part of history’s great ironies that well after it had been proven that the New world was not china, it was once more the lure of china that brought it back into Spanish attention.

However, this would not be the great rebirth of Spanish Vespuccia. Instead that would be the 80-years war between Spain and the Netherlands.

The Netherlands were rebelling against Spanish rule and sending out their own fleets across the world. And when they arrived in the new world they soon came into contact with Aztaztlan. Initially they were not welcomed warmly, even with hostility and conflict.
    But once they managed to make it clear that they too were enemies of the Caxtilteca they were welcomed… and got access to the internal markets of Tenochnitlan and most notably: Vanilla, Xocolatl, Chili and by extension Chinese goods.

The dutch merchants became ridiculously rich very quickly… and once Europe learned from where it came, interest in the new world exploded. Not just in Spain, but also in Portugal, France and England. Most notably however, the Spanish realized that suddenly they had to protect their interests in the region.

Thoughts? Comments?

Some interesting things is that Spain is not nearly as powerful as it was in our world, since it lacks access to Mexican and Peruvian silver. Which means that they probably never built the Spanish Armada. It'll have interesting repercussions in the 30-year war too.
    On the other hand, it probably ends up being better for Spain itself.

There... 80 years down... just 150 years to go.
    Last edited by Aux-Ash; 2014-01-19 at 12:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1101

Chaotic Chewy
    Why thank you! It's great to hear the project's not just an echo chamber and that we're still making something really cool and interesting. I'm honestly continually amazed by how successful this has been.

So, welcome to the thread! We don't have a playtest going just yet, I think we're gonna have to finish the races/classes/cultures before we finally get to that.
    But we'd certainly be glad to have your help! We still have a lot to do before we're done. We've got monsters that need stats, cultures that need writeups, prestige classes that need mechanics to go with the ideas, spells, magic items and all sorts of things.
    Of course, you don't even have to contribute anything mechanical. You could just help out by contributing ideas, if that's more your preference.

Aux-Ash
    Wow. Just wow. That is a really amazing level of detail, research, and realism. It reads like an actual historical report, and each step makes logical sense. I'm astounded by the care and thought you've put into this. This is definitely going to be formalized somewhere, though I'm not certain where yet.
    Also, it occurs to me, very few people would get this geeked out about the financial effects of never gaining the mexican/south american silver mines.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2014-01-19 at 01:09 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Admiral Squish
    Mhmm. I'm sure it's always a pleasure to hear that this big project you've been working hard on is a success in the eyes of the people.

Well, I figured as much, but I wanted to throw out my interest in this setting, and my willingness to help out. Unfortunately I'm not a crazy amazing home brewer... Yet. However thematically and idealistically speaking, I'm a walking tank and my weapon is the power of idea. If you could maybe tell me what kind of things that you'd like to see new ideas form around, or small projects that I can take my time with, even cultures you'd like to see, then I can probably be more assistance. If I can't be of direct help, I'd at least like to help get a ball or two of an idea rolling.

Aux-Ash
    Until now, I had honestly never thought of the impact that losing the silver mines would have had on the New World, Western Culture, and for that matter, the ideas of the world as a whole. I'd like to see where this goes in the next 150 years.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chewy, if you were a real Drow, you'd be a Sorcerer/Alchemist with a nack for explosions and a prechant for won ton destruction and joyful mayhem. ~ My drunken DM

Originally posted by BRC
    Few people who want to play a monk actually want to play a monk (as in a semi-mystic kung fu master). What they (or at least I) want to play is somebody who can punch a dragon to death.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Orc in the Playground

Aux-Ash:

Your timeline is seriously one of the most awesome things that I think anyone has posted to this thread. It reads like a real textbook, makes complete sense from an alt-history and a D&D point of view, and is scrupulously exact about the nature of the players, the game, the stakes, and how they played off each other in the course of the first eight decades after First Contact.

My hat is off to you, sir. Bravo! Bravo!

In fact, the only thing that I find lacking from your write-up is a map of the region. If you send me a rough drawing or an MS Paint sketchup of the rough borders of these new kingdoms, and the location of the major cities and ports-of-trade, I will happily draw up an official map of Mesovespuccia! I've done it before for another of AdmiralSquish's products, and I'm excited at the idea of doing it for this one. (As a matter of fact, I really should started on drawing that map of Tuniitaq, based on what the good Admiral posted oh-so-long-ago.)

Speaking of the existence of entirely new kingdoms, maybe that's just what we need to get around the touchy issue of giving stats to real-world cultures. Since the timelines diverged so long ago in our setting, it would make sense that by 1750, the political map might look very different from our own; so, it would make sense that the cultures we draw up might be very different as well. Entire states and nations would swallow each other up, giving rise to new peoples, new polities, which are a blend of their component-peoples (for example, in our setting, the Iroqouis might be able to expand their influence along the Great Lakes, absorbing cultural practices from the Hurons, the Micmacs, the Ojibwe, etc., leading to an entirely new state: The Longhouse Confederacy!) This way everyone gets included, but nobody gets mad for having their culture nerfed, because it's not, strictly speaking, their culture anymore. Kind of like in The Golden Compass, where you've got Muscovites instead of Russians, Gyptians instead of Travellers/Tinkers/Gypsies, and an independent Republic of Texas.

Chaotic Chewy: We're glad to have you here! Learning that people are interested is always good; learning that they're actually excited about Crossroads is a joy and a wonder.

As far as play-testing, you should get your wish relatively soon: we've got most of the basic mechanics worked out, and as soon as we've got stats for all the races and cultures, we'll be ready to start testing it. AdmiralSquish and I have been talking about setting up some kind of playtesting lately, either via Skype or through the normal Playground channels. (And of course, we could always rope our IRL friends into helping us playtest, too.)

Truth be told, we could probably start playtesting already, we're just trying to make sure we haven't forgotten anything that'll cause a session to come to a screeching halt.

AdmiralSquish: Speaking of still needing ideas for spells, here are a few spells that I came up with recently, along with a few that were added to the front page but never really discussed in the thread:

• Alligator's Stealth - as long as you remain still, you are completely invisible to all forms of detection, no matter how close the subject may come to you, and you gain a free surprise-round if you decide to attack (no Reflex save allowed).
    • Bison's Endurance - you can use the run action for a number of hours equal to your Constitution score, rather than rounds.
    • Calm Rapids - turn rough rapids into calm water for 1d4 rounds.
    • Cloud-As-Steed - You summon a fluffy nimbus-cloud to serve as your mount, which allows you to skim over the ground at a rate of 50 ft./round with excellent maneuverability while ignoring difficult terrain.
    • Create Cenote/Sinkhole - the earth opens to reveal a yawning cenote, which is suitable for ritual usage (and as an added bonus, collapses any building situated above it).
    • Consecrate Sweat-Lodge - you consecrate a sweat-lodge to the spirits, granting all who use it a +5 to enter or interact with the Spirit World while inside.
    • Craft Magic Drum - you create a drum which grants a bonus to Spellcraft checks when used in magic rituals and ceremonies.
    • Downstream Swiftness - pilot your watercraft upstream as swiftly as if you were heading downstream on the same river. No effect on lakes.
    • Fury of the Wolverine - you enter a rage and gain the benefits of the Powerful Build trait, effectively becoming one size-category larger until the rage ends.
    • Hair-Into-Clones - you pluck 1d6 hairs from your head, which grow into perfect copies of yourself (and your equipment?) in one round.
    • Jaguar Apocalypse - you fill every unoccupied 5-foot square within 30 feet of you with an angry, hungry jaguar which is under your command.
    • Leap of the Antelope - you jump up to three times your normal distance/height for a single leap, without a running start.
    • Lightning-Reload - You instantly reload up to 1d6 firearms on your person, rather than taking the normal time to reload them.
    • Porcupine's Embrace - you cover yourself in a thick mane of foot-long spines, which deal automatic piercing damage to any creature which grapples you.
    • Preserve Food - instantly preserve up to 10 lbs. of food.
    • Rain-Dance - summon a rain-storm which counts as inclement weather, and reduces visibility to 30 ft. for 1d10 rounds.
    • Salmon's Leap - pilot watercraft up a waterfall.
    • Sniper's Shot - triple your weapon's base-range for a single shot.
    • Squirrel's Balance - move at full speed without having to make balance checks, or taking fear-penalties related to height.
    • Sun-Dance - dispel any weather-affecting spell or ability currently affecting your area.
    • Tan Hide - instantly turn any hide into cured leather.
    • War-Dance - grant 1d10 warriors a +4 morale bonus to attack for the remainder of the day.
    • Whitewater - create whitewater rapids across one river, from bank to bank, which act as rough water (DC ?? to navigate safely).

I haven't been able to really flesh them out, because A) I've never designed a spell in my life before, and B) we don't really have any purely spellcasting classes of our own yet*, so I'm not sure what level they would be.

*except for Medicine Men, but they use Rituals, not spells

Edit: BRC, I like the work you did with the Interpreter skill, but I think that it does kind of restate how the Linguistics mechanic already works, and in this case, simpler is better. But I like where your head's at, and the example about the Aztecs in the canyon that you gave.
    Last edited by SuperDave; 2014-01-20 at 12:05 AM.
    My Homebrew Projects

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

SuperDave
    Glad to be here; It's like making a cake from scratch for the first time; You just kind of have to gauge and estimate what it takes and hope that it all comes out well. Then you find out later that everyone loves your cake, and it makes you unaturally giddy.

On the play test note; Good to know, I'll try my best to stay up-to-date on that situation, with in reason to how hectic my life gets at times. To be honest, I have a Skype and a device capable of using it, I just don't know how it handles things like conference calls for said device

On a point you brought up early in your most recent post, although it pertains more to Aux-Ash (Because it's difficult for me not to read a whole post); I see what you mean; A map drawn for this setting could, and in this case should and would, be extremely different from what it is in our timeline. The same holds true to cultures; New ones may arise and some may never even come to be, due to the fact that without certain events some things will/would have never come to be, or certian events could have nigh understandable consequences on the world that would simply make it so that some things just never happen. But that's just theoretically speaking and all of this rant could sound insane.

P.S. Interesting ideals for spells.
    Spoiler
    Show

Originally posted by BRC

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Ettin in the Playground

• Alligator's Stealth - as long as you remain still, you are completely invisible to all forms of detection, no matter how close the subject may come to you, and you gain a free surprise-round if you decide to attack (no Reflex save allowed).
    • Bison's Endurance - you can use the run action for a number of hours equal to your Constitution score, rather than rounds.
    • Calm Rapids - turn rough rapids into calm water for 1d4 rounds.
    • Cloud-As-Steed - You summon a fluffy nimbus-cloud to serve as your mount, which allows you to skim over the ground at a rate of 50 ft./round with excellent maneuverability while ignoring difficult terrain.
    • Create Cenote/Sinkhole - the earth opens to reveal a yawning cenote, which is suitable for ritual usage (and as an added bonus, collapses any building situated above it).
    • Consecrate Sweat-Lodge - you consecrate a sweat-lodge to the spirits, granting all who use it a +5 to enter or interact with the Spirit World while inside.
    • Craft Magic Drum - you create a drum which grants a bonus to Spellcraft checks when used in magic rituals and ceremonies.
    • Downstream Swiftness - pilot your watercraft upstream as swiftly as if you were heading downstream on the same river. No effect on lakes.
    • Fury of the Wolverine - you enter a rage and gain the benefits of the Powerful Build trait, effectively becoming one size-category larger until the rage ends.
    • Hair-Into-Clones - you pluck 1d6 hairs from your head, which grow into perfect copies of yourself (and your equipment?) in one round.
    • Jaguar Apocalypse - you fill every unoccupied 5-foot square within 30 feet of you with an angry, hungry jaguar which is under your command.
    • Leap of the Antelope - you jump up to three times your normal distance/height for a single leap, without a running start.
    • Lightning-Reload - You instantly reload up to 1d6 firearms on your person, rather than taking the normal time to reload them.
    • Porcupine's Embrace - you cover yourself in a thick mane of foot-long spines, which deal automatic piercing damage to any creature which grapples you.
    • Preserve Food - instantly preserve up to 10 lbs. of food.
    • Rain-Dance - summon a rain-storm which counts as inclement weather, and reduces visibility to 30 ft. for 1d10 rounds.
    • Salmon's Leap - pilot watercraft up a waterfall.
    • Sniper's Shot - triple your weapon's base-range for a single shot.
    • Squirrel's Balance - move at full speed without having to make balance checks, or taking fear-penalties related to height.
    • Sun-Dance - dispel any weather-affecting spell or ability currently affecting your area.
    • Tan Hide - instantly turn any hide into cured leather.
    • War-Dance - grant 1d10 warriors a +4 morale bonus to attack for the remainder of the day.
    • Whitewater - create whitewater rapids across one river, from bank to bank, which act as rough water (DC ?? to navigate safely).

I haven't been able to really flesh them out, because A) I've never designed a spell in my life before, and B) we don't really have any purely spellcasting classes of our own yet*, so I'm not sure what level they would be.
    Would you like me to look through the spells and comment?
    LGBTA+itP

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Aux-Ash: That timeline looks awesome. Instability benefits us as far as a campaign setting goes, so having some reason for the Spanish to recently renew their interests in the area is good.

Hrmm, what if, rather than owning the silver mines themselves, Spanish adventurers are fond of attacking the mines and stealing Silver. The colonial Spanish government of course denounces these raids officially, while secretly encouraging them.

These would be groups of desperados, a combination of young Spanish adventurers and local malcontents who fail more often than not to make it back to the safety of the coast (Where they have ships arranged to take them to Havana) or Castillo del Oro.

Also, speaking of Spells, I was wondering about the Endure Elements spell. Battling against the elements, whether it's the heat of the desert or the freezing cold of the Tundra, is a major part of the types of stories Crossroads is drawing from, and having a first level spell that negates that kills a lot of the tension. Any reasonable adventuring party could pick up a wand of Endure Elements and be go on a stroll.

I propose a few things.

First, Endure Element's range is changed to "Self". A wizard, missionary, or medicine man may walk without fear through the harsh environments, but they cannot do so for their entire party. Magic items of Endure Elements are in very high demand and hard to come by.

Secondly: Endure Elements is split into "Endure Heat" and "Endure Cold".

Third: Endure Heat and Endure Cold are now fourth level spells, with second level versions available to spell casters of certain cultures.

For example, a Tuniit, Adlet, or Vinlander spellcaster would have access to the second level version of Endure Cold, since their cultures frequently deal with long journeys in harsh winters, and the magic to protect from such things is passed down. Similarly, a Navajo or Apache spellcaster would have access to the second level version of Endure Heat.

Spellcasters from another culture can learn these more efficient versions of spells, but it is tricky. It's not as simple as copying a scroll into a spellbook, those spells are part of the culture's spellcasting tradition, so you would need to re-learn some fundamentals. I'm not sure how to represent this mechanically though.

My point is that walking through a frozen tundra shouldn't be something any novice spellcaster can do, with room left over to pass out a few castings to their friends. It should be a sign of that the spellcaster is either especially powerful, or especially familiar with the terrain in question.
    [/Center]

27. - Top - End - #1107

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Aux-Ash
    Wow. Just wow. That is a really amazing level of detail, research, and realism. It reads like an actual historical report, and each step makes logical sense. I'm astounded by the care and thought you've put into this. This is definitely going to be formalized somewhere, though I'm not certain where yet.
    Also, it occurs to me, very few people would get this geeked out about the financial effects of never gaining the mexican/south american silver mines.
    Thank you, glad you liked it
    History is something of a passion of mine, and as such I'm really interested in seeing how things fit together.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Chewy View Post
    I'd like to see where this goes in the next 150 years.
    Me too. I really have no idea yet.

Your timeline is seriously one of the most awesome things that I think anyone has posted to this thread. It reads like a real textbook, makes complete sense from an alt-history and a D&D point of view, and is scrupulously exact about the nature of the players, the game, the stakes, and how they played off each other in the course of the first eight decades after First Contact.

My hat is off to you, sir. Bravo! Bravo!
    Oh, thank you

In fact, the only thing that I find lacking from your write-up is a map of the region. If you send me a rough drawing or an MS Paint sketchup of the rough borders of these new kingdoms, and the location of the major cities and ports-of-trade, I will happily draw up an official map of Mesovespuccia! I've done it before for another of AdmiralSquish's products, and I'm excited at the idea of doing it for this one. (As a matter of fact, I really should started on drawing that map of Tuniitaq, based on what the good Admiral posted oh-so-long-ago.)
    Do you want one for 1600 or should we wait until 1750 for the final map?

Speaking of the existence of entirely new kingdoms, maybe that's just what we need to get around the touchy issue of giving stats to real-world cultures. Since the timelines diverged so long ago in our setting, it would make sense that by 1750, the political map might look very different from our own; so, it would make sense that the cultures we draw up might be very different as well. Entire states and nations would swallow each other up, giving rise to new peoples, new polities, which are a blend of their component-peoples (for example, in our setting, the Iroqouis might be able to expand their influence along the Great Lakes, absorbing cultural practices from the Hurons, the Micmacs, the Ojibwe, etc., leading to an entirely new state: The Longhouse Confederacy!) This way everyone gets included, but nobody gets mad for having their culture nerfed, because it's not, strictly speaking, their culture anymore. Kind of like in The Golden Compass, where you've got Muscovites instead of Russians, Gyptians instead of Travellers/Tinkers/Gypsies, and an independent Republic of Texas.
    Hmmm... we still ought to be careful. This is part of why I try to be as rigorous as I can when researching for this setting. Even though it is different and that due to magic they don't really have counterparts, not doing it properly risks making a caricature. It has the trappings of a real culture, but none of it's nuance and sometime soutright falsehoods.

Besides... I only really made up the Hǎiyuánrén. All the others actually were around, most still are even.

By the way... I like the spell ideas. My thoughts when reading Jaguar apocalypse were pretty much:

Aux-Ash: That timeline looks awesome. Instability benefits us as far as a campaign setting goes, so having some reason for the Spanish to recently renew their interests in the area is good.

Hrmm, what if, rather than owning the silver mines themselves, Spanish adventurers are fond of attacking the mines and stealing Silver. The colonial Spanish government of course denounces these raids officially, while secretly encouraging them.
    The only problem here is that for the most part the Spanish built these mines... oh... and they're deep in Peru and in the valley of Mexico.
    But no worries, there'll be plenty of wealth to stea... extract even without ready access to them. And I plan for the 17th century to be... interesting... in the chinese sense of the word.

These would be groups of desperados, a combination of young Spanish adventurers and local malcontents who fail more often than not to make it back to the safety of the coast (Where they have ships arranged to take them to Havana) or Castillo del Oro.
    This, I imagine, will be a thing.

Also, speaking of Spells, I was wondering about the Endure Elements spell. Battling against the elements, whether it's the heat of the desert or the freezing cold of the Tundra, is a major part of the types of stories Crossroads is drawing from, and having a first level spell that negates that kills a lot of the tension. Any reasonable adventuring party could pick up a wand of Endure Elements and be go on a stroll.

I propose a few things.

First, Endure Element's range is changed to "Self". A wizard, missionary, or medicine man may walk without fear through the harsh environments, but they cannot do so for their entire party. Magic items of Endure Elements are in very high demand and hard to come by.

Secondly: Endure Elements is split into "Endure Heat" and "Endure Cold".

Third: Endure Heat and Endure Cold are now fourth level spells, with second level versions available to spell casters of certain cultures.

For example, a Tuniit, Adlet, or Vinlander spellcaster would have access to the second level version of Endure Cold, since their cultures frequently deal with long journeys in harsh winters, and the magic to protect from such things is passed down. Similarly, a Navajo or Apache spellcaster would have access to the second level version of Endure Heat.

Spellcasters from another culture can learn these more efficient versions of spells, but it is tricky. It's not as simple as copying a scroll into a spellbook, those spells are part of the culture's spellcasting tradition, so you would need to re-learn some fundamentals. I'm not sure how to represent this mechanically though.

My point is that walking through a frozen tundra shouldn't be something any novice spellcaster can do, with room left over to pass out a few castings to their friends. It should be a sign of that the spellcaster is either especially powerful, or especially familiar with the terrain in question.
    I agree with this. It's conceptually sound since you don't survive the same way in a desert as in arctic wastes. It'll also go a long way to explain why the tuniit are so superior up north. It also makes magic less of a omnitool and do not trivialize everything that is not combat.

For the same reasons I'd much prefer to split up Cure disease and similar. But I'm fine with not doing that.

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Maybe make cure spells disease-specific.
    Access to one Cure Disease spell means you can theoretically cast all of them, but you need to track down a version for the disease in question.

I could imagine a villager from a village infected with Smallpox going on a journey to Cahokia in order to retrieve a scroll of Cure Smallpox to bring back to his village's Shaman.

This way Disease can still be a major problem, simply because the party spellcaster does not know how to cure that TYPE of disease.

In Mexica, the Aztecs were weak until the priests figured out how to use their magic to cure Smallpox.

Hrmm, how about this.

Without the specific version, a generic Cure Disease spell can grant a bonus on fortitude saves and provide temporary respite from the symptoms. With a specific version you can cure the disease in question.
    Last edited by BRC; 2014-01-20 at 04:31 PM.
    [/Center]

29. - Top - End - #1109

Maybe make cure spells disease-specific.
    Access to one Cure Disease spell means you can theoretically cast all of them, but you need to track down a version for the disease in question.

I could imagine a villager from a village infected with Smallpox going on a journey to Cahokia in order to retrieve a scroll of Cure Smallpox to bring back to his village's Shaman.

This way Disease can still be a major problem, simply because the party spellcaster does not know how to cure that TYPE of disease.

In Mexica, the Aztecs were weak until the priests figured out how to use their magic to cure Smallpox.

Hrmm, how about this.

Without the specific version, a generic Cure Disease spell can grant a bonus on fortitude saves and provide temporary respite from the symptoms. With a specific version you can cure the disease in question.
    I think that solution is elegant. I like it.

30. - Top - End - #1110

Perhaps the general version could also prevent you from spreading the disease for a certain period?
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show