New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Best Introductory RPGs

What are some of the best tabletop roleplaying games for introducing new players and kids to the hobby? Something I'm looking for on top of simple rules is a "What is a Roleplaying Game?" introductory section, good advice for gamemasters, and preferably a somewhat lighthearted tone.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Best Introductory RPGs

Legend is versatile, easy to learn and can accommodate pretty much any sort of tone. Unfortunately, it requires the game master to actually have a decent grasp of the game so it may not be best suited for your needs.(If you're running them through a couple adventures then setting them loose it could probably work, if you're just supervising for the whole thing less so...)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Games from the Old School Revival (Dungeon Crawl Classics, Swords and Wizardry, etc.) are generally simple. The Red Box and PF Beginner's Box are great introductions for more complex systems.

Quote Originally Posted by LongVin View Post
    Fool! What torments have you unleashed upon the playground! The black gates of the abyss have been thrown asunder and soon all forms of monstroties shall rush forth! Repent! Repent I say! Before the end times! Before it is too late! I can feel the evil in my teeth!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Old School Hack is a (FREE!) modern-mechanics RPG that dips into the old-school aesthetic, but with streamlined, clear mechanics. It also has really pretty graphical design.

Warhammer Fantasy RP (3rd Edition) introduces boardgame elements (courtesy of Fantasy Flight Games) and icon-based dice into the RPG paradigm, which makes it very accessible to players who've already played more involved board games.

Fiasco and Burning Wheel are two of the best GM-advice books (and player-advice) that I've ever seen, and I thoroughly recommend them as great books. Fiasco (because its format is akin to "improv with dice") is an excellent beginners' game; Burning Wheel takes a good bit of player experience, and is probably better with more seasoned gamers.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2013-01-30 at 02:26 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #5

Mouseguard is GREAT for kids.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Mouse Guard, if you can find it?

Possibly Fate Core, though availability will be decreased for a while.

Basic D&D.

Fate Accelerated Edition is *specifically* geared towards this, but won't be available for a while :(

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Oh! Another thought! Mongoose Traveller. The character creation doesn't involve a large amount of mechanical choices (which helps when players don't know the system very well), and the core system is really simple.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

FATE games? The basic mechanics are pretty simple, nicely cinematic, and do ta great job of encouraging roleplaying. I can't speak for all products, but The Dresden Files RPG had some of the best writing, including DMing advice, that I've seen in a core rulebook. (Also, hey, Dresden Files, if your new players are fans of the books).
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

FATE games? The basic mechanics are pretty simple, nicely cinematic, and do ta great job of encouraging roleplaying. I can't speak for all products, but The Dresden Files RPG had some of the best writing, including DMing advice, that I've seen in a core rulebook. (Also, hey, Dresden Files, if your new players are fans of the books).
    For GMing advice, I'll back up Dresden Files, Burning Wheel (incl. the Adventure Burner), Spirit of the Century, and Apocalypse World/Dungeon World.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Old School Hack is a (FREE!) modern-mechanics RPG that dips into the old-school aesthetic, but with streamlined, clear mechanics. It also has really pretty graphical design.
    Seconded. The game is simple, rather rules-light, and beautifully done. It's nice, easy, and a lot of fun: feels old school while being as streamlined as modern games.

Seconded for this as well, especially if you managed to get a copy of the new FATE Core rules from their Kickstarter.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I would say Labyrinth Lords is your best bet for a starting RPG. You can learn the majority of the rules in about an hour and after that it's all easy. Well, easier anyway.

The rules stay simple the entire way through and there's a very shallow learning curve. But they are fairly simple, so . . .

If you want more complex, any of the above will do, as will OSRIC, whcih is also easy to pick up but a bit more complex.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Cops and Robbers is a good intro-level LARP

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

I usually like to use Licensed Games as introductions into RPGing.

For example, if someone is a fan of Robotech, they KNOW how Robotech stuff works. You don't have to waste time explaining to them what mecha are, how missile swarms work, etc. They already have that intuitive grasp as fans and you can just smooth out rules details as they come up. And because they ARE fans, they already are interested in playing and living up to the source material, being great heroes and villains of the type, etc.

So I've used everything from Robotech to Dragonball Z RPG, to FF RPG and Star Wars RPG to introduce people into the hobby. And I do usually think that approach works better than choosing a "simple" system just for the fact that it is a simple system.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

14. - Top - End - #14

I havent had much experience with any, but I found pokemon tabletop adventures pretty easy to pick up. Everyone knows pokemon! Its easy to make it as a kids game pretty similar to the video games, or some post apocalyptic epic.

Well, thats my addition to everything already said >_>

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think Everyone is John is a pretty great one. It's really loose, and can be goofy or serious (but probably more goofy), and IIRC, it uses d6s, which even non-gamers use. Plus, it focuses on one person, so giving the spotlight and making people feel important is easy, as is explaining things. Finally, it's in the modern world, which is relatable.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Dungeons and Dragons.

Not Basic, or Expert, or 1E, 2E, 3E, 3.5E, or 4E. The actual original game called Dungeons and Dragons (with the first expansion book Greyhawk, so it's based on individual combat rather than miniatures.).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I get a good impression from the PF Beginner's Box.

Another thing I might go for is Marvel Heroic Roleplaying; it's different from many games but that's not a problem for new people, is fairly light-hearted, and explains/encourages the concept of role-playing quite well.

The Burning Wheel recommendations I actually don't recommend for beginners. It's quite a bit to swallow, though it's quite good. Definitely want to have it in your library someday, but I wouldn't call it 'introductory' by any means. More closer to 'definitive' or 'state of the art,' y'know?
    Matters of Critical Insignificance - My Blog for all my favorite entertainment
    11/4: Announcing the Vow of Honor KS! (I contributed)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Dungeons and Dragons.

Not Basic, or Expert, or 1E, 2E, 3E, 3.5E, or 4E. The actual original game called Dungeons and Dragons (with the first expansion book Greyhawk, so it's based on individual combat rather than miniatures.).
    Maybe, but two issues there.

1. The editing of those books was . . . interesting to say the least.

2. Not everybody's got $300 to spend on a set of them.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by ArcturusV View Post
    I usually like to use Licensed Games as introductions into RPGing.

For example, if someone is a fan of Robotech, they KNOW how Robotech stuff works. You don't have to waste time explaining to them what mecha are, how missile swarms work, etc. They already have that intuitive grasp as fans and you can just smooth out rules details as they come up. And because they ARE fans, they already are interested in playing and living up to the source material, being great heroes and villains of the type, etc.

So I've used everything from Robotech to Dragonball Z RPG, to FF RPG and Star Wars RPG to introduce people into the hobby. And I do usually think that approach works better than choosing a "simple" system just for the fact that it is a simple system.
    I'll second this notion. I started playing with Star Wars d20 (OCR), which was great because everybody understands the basics of Star Wars, so you don't have to wrap your head around either creating a new setting/learning one that's unfamiliar to the group. Obviously some pre-canned settings are easier to explain (Dark Sun, for example), but others, I've found, are much more difficult (Forgotten Realms, surprisingly! "Generic high fantasy" means a ton of different things to different people).

I think D&D 4E is a great game for teaching, as well. The powers system gets players used to the rules with a small number of options in the beginning, with characters developing in complexity along a much more linear path as they level. Say what you will about the system itself, it's a wonderful teaching tool. I've brought a lot of people into tabletop gaming and it's almost always started with 4E.

Likewise, 4E really helped me (and note this may just be me) learn to better DM. Creating Encounters is much more streamlined, which makes it easier to start learning how to cater to players' strengths/weaknesses. Everything is ranked and filed well, so you don't have to decipher which types of opponents you're sending out (Brutes, Controllers, etc.). NPC creation is uniform and easy. It might be a little restrictive to mor seasoned DMs, but it's excellent pedagogy in general to start someone off with more rules/restrictions/crutches and slowly work them off.

Honestly, my biggest leap in DMing skill happened while running through the Keep on the Shadowfell canned adventure. I became more accustomed to running sessions, it included dungeon crawls as well as social encounters, and the players got used to playing their characters. Hell, by the end, my group of 4 new /1 lightly experienced players had even established concrete personalities for their characters and inside jokes amongst themselves that were in-character!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I started with the Red Box of D&D in the 80's, but I sense that will probably not be an option for you (unless you have a copy you're willing and able to use/destroy).

Otherwise I'd say it depends heavily on how old the kids are and what kind of game they'd enjoy playing. Fantasy, sci-fi, over the top crazy?

Sorry I can't be more helpful, my pool of players consisted of my cousins, and they couldn't (and still can't) be bothered to learn anything more complicated than card games, drinking games and Yahtzee.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

My gateway game into RPGs was Hero Quest, though again you run into the issue of cost. On the plus side, the figures are amazing.

I imagine Risus would be a pretty solid game for beginners.