Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Chapter One: Welcome to the Tavern

*This thread is restricted to those who are playing in the Tavern at the End of the Universe Campaign, obviously*

Link to OOC Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post14622350

Six strangers suddenly appear, seeming to blink into existence from thin air. Their arrival is without warning, and even they are surprised to find themselves standing on the hardwood floor. Around them is a spacious tavern, almost too expansive to be real. There are dozens of long tables, four roaring hearths, a myriad of chairs and three levels of wrapping balconies above. Goblets and platters are set neatly at each place, and many hunting trophies and fine tapestries line the walls.
    The walls are several hundred feet apart, and it is silent save the crackle of the fires. Three sets of double doors wrought of dark metal are set in the center of the South, East, and West walls. On the North wall is a long serving bar, sandwiched between two wide staircases leading to the next level.

Behind the counter, stand two lithe women, a human girl garbed in deep blue and of tan skin and dark hair, and an elf maiden in a dress verdant green and face wreathed in fire orange locks. The first wears simple garb, her only jewelry bronze bracelets around her wrists and a thick leather cord around her neck as a necklace. The other has a more dignified and ethereal presence, wearing a single gold earring and a jeweled brooch. Neither immediately notices your arrival.

On the second floor, near on the eastern wall, movement can be both seen and heard, a huge figure ambling on the balcony, its every step creaking heavily on the floor.

All party members appear the open center of the inn, flanked on all sides by tables but with a clear path to each of the doors an the bar counter. Each stands 10 feet apart from the others, in a hexagonal pattern. Everyone has their cohorts, gear, animal companions, and all other items either with them or beside them.
    Last edited by artofregicide; 2013-01-30 at 06:20 PM.
    "If I've learned anything, it's to fear nothing."

Plays in Noble Trouble

2. - Top - End - #2

DruidGuy

Default Re: Chapter One: Welcome to the Tavern

Enrik, Human Sorceror

One of the six strangers to appear is a tall, broad-shouldered man dressed in heavy black cloaks. Only his face is visible, and even that just barely so. A black raven is perched on his shoulder, its head bobbing near the man's ear, and a bottle half-full of dark liquid is in his hand. The scent of alcohol exudes from him.

The man stands motionless for a moment, staring dumbly, and then the bottle slips from his hands, shattering on the floor. "Who are you people?" he slurs angrily. "Which of you brought me here? Let me go!"

Movement and creaking from the balcony suddenly startle him, and he whips around to look in the direction the sound came from. Catching a glimpse of a figure there, he reaches over his shoulder and fumbles at his back, after a moment grabbing hold of the ornate crossbow strapped there and clumsily swinging it around to point it up towards the balcony.

He stares up at the balcony for a moment longer, the crossbow shaking in his hands, and then his attention seems to unfocus and he turns his head towards the raven on his shoulder. In a somewhat softer voice than before he growls, "What? How should I know where this is? You probably did this!"
    Sen, Siren Ranger [D&D 4e] (Threats to the Nentir Vale)
    Enrik, Human Sorceror [D&D 3.5e] (Tavern at the End of the Universe)

3. - Top - End - #3

Azoth the Eternal

Coming back to awareness from his nightly meditation, Azoth felt like something was wrong. He opened his blue, blue eyes and looked around. He found himself not his room, but in a tavern it seemed, with 5 other stranger. These others also seemed confused or upset about what was going on. Not thinking of them as a threat at this time. He took a moment to protect himself. He closes his eyes and for those who notice, there seem to be a magical armor surrounding him. Then standing up, he hears the creaking noise. He looks to the 2nd floor balcony to seem some huge figure moving. Unsure of what it is, he reaches for his crossbow What is that? Responding to the first man with the raven. "I'm Azoth. I'm not sure of how or why we are here. But lets please try to stay calm and figure this out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Manifest Inertial Armor (4 hours)
    Last edited by PowerGamer; 2013-01-31 at 06:08 PM.
    Avatars-Avatars designed by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

Gull Dorrian, possessed quasi-suicidal

Gull stumbled slightly, as is normal for anyone who had just been transported an indeterminate distance across space, and quite possibly time, into a not-so-well lit room while standing up. Disorientating is but one word.

Well it was that and Gull just wasn't very well built for someone in their supposed prime, he was skinnier than normal and despite his travels lacked anything that could be described as a surplus of muscle underneath his orange-and-green shirt.

As with most people who find themselves in strange places; Gull took a moment to take stock of his rather confusing surroundings. It was dimly lit, smelled rather funny even without the obviously drunk man babbling to a bird perched on his shoulder, had three massive iron doors affixed to the walls and seemed to wind ever upwards in a twisty maze of balconies and not-so-stationary staircases.

Gull was understandably rather upset about his predicament. There were also knives laid out at the tables. He really shouldn't be near knives at a time like this.

A few moments later Gull was sitting patiently on his hands and humming a vague tune to himself, all the while trying to figure out what that strange scent in the air was.
    Last edited by Moonwolf727; 2013-01-31 at 06:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Dr. Liam C. Morgan:The Scholar

The thick Isverhope fog had vanished quite suddenly, become pillars, wood, and roaring fire. A less rational man would have assumed sleep or drugs, but the green-eyed professor knew his dreamscapes and hallucinations well; a man that explored the nature of the esoteric had to be. The absence of strange and violent geometries gave this away as a real and waking moment. Furthermore, who would want to poison a curator whose rivalries and vendettas were entirely and exclusively academic in nature? The breadth of the room, the insufficiency of pillars, and, above all, the rambling crow-shouldered drunk gave the scene a surreal feel, but the scholar had made up his mind. As improbable as was, somehow with his years of trying to find it hiding somewhere in the world, Magic had happened.

Liam smiles, intrigued by his situation. Fascinating he states, wondering if the gold-bound charm in his collection would work here. It gave him relief his bag, in which he had the miscellaneous items that were to be accessioned, had come along; it was only sensible to have weapons in a strange land.
    He looks at the five around him. Azoth? Glad to hear someone keeping their wits about themselves. Dr. Morgan, at your pleasure. he stretches out his hand cordially. As odd as it may sound, I believe there is magic afoot. he says, stressing the wondrous element.

6. - Top - End - #6

Lindara Halosphere:Lesser Aasimar Cleric/Paladin

As the walls and pillars of the temples training grounds fade they are replaced with the standard wooden walls of a simple tavern. Lindara feels a slight pain in her head from, most likely, what ever kind of magic conjured her to this tavern. She hears a creaking sound and when she looks to the source she sees that it comes from a big figure on the upstairs balcony.

Azoth, Dr. Morgan, its a pleasure to meet you, the name's Lindara Halosphere. If any of you know how we got here or why we are here please inform me. Dr. Morgan, I agree that there is some kind of magic afoot.
    Last edited by Dark Hawk799; 2013-02-01 at 10:02 PM.
    There are many perks to being a dragonslayer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Markus Kyre, Man of Secrets

Markus knelt in quiet prayer in the hollows of a quiet library, moonlight glinting softly off metal and blood marring a slight tinge on the carpet. Soon he would make his exit, but first a quiet word of thanks to his patron for surviving her trial. Illusion wrapped round him, his form shifting and warping into the simple robes of the librarian still and cooling beside him he closed his eyes and uttered in her name. When his eyes opened soft carpet had been replaced by cold stone, he found himself kneeling next to a table in some monumental tavern. Taking a moment to take in his surroundings he maintains his kneeling posture and listens to his new companions. It seemed they were in the dark as much as he was.

Climbing slowly with exaggerated awkwardness to his feet he pulled down a hood to reveal a haggard and age worn face, framed by a thinning crop of silver hair and a beard neatly tied by a simple leather weave. His garb as it appeared was a simple sack robe, tied with rope at the hip and a small but serviceable leather pack hanging from his back. He smiled in an applogetic manner and said with a thick Thayan accent,

"I'm afraid I know as little about this as any of you. I could scarely believe this could have happened without magic, so you have something there lad."
    Last edited by Eiko; 2013-02-02 at 01:29 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Spoiler
    Show
    Note: Feel free to make spot checks, listen checks, sense motive, or any other skill checks you'd like to gather more information.

The two girls notice the newcomers, the angry shouts of the drunken man demanding their attention. The human in blue whispers to the elf in green, and then she addresses the group as a whole.

"Welcome to the Tavern. The Barman is coming. Please wait here, a moment, until he arrives. All will be explained. I can get you drinks, if you want..."

With that, the elf girl hurries from behind the bar counter, and up the stairwell behind. The human stands behind the bar, smiling but somewhat tense. It seems that she doesn't know what to expect, and is nervous. In particular, she watches the man with the raven.

The shape above continues it's march towards the stair well, but continues to be obscured. You from it's heavy breath, you can tell it is a alive, and it sounds as though it drags something long and heavy behind it.

Plays in Noble Trouble

9. - Top - End - #9

DruidGuy

Enrik, Human Sorceror

Enrik hears' the others responses and realizes they seem to know no more than he does--apparently they weren't responsible for bringing him here. This knowledge does not calm his nerves, though, as it merely means he has even less an idea of where he is or how to leave.

At the barmaid's voice he whirls around, probably causing several of the other newcomers to duck as his crossbow passes by them. You brought me here?, he calls.

He lowers his crossbow and, with a jolt, storms over towards the bar; his movement is so sudden and uncoordinated that the raven almost tumbles off his shoulder, and has to flap its wings to maintain its perch. The papery sound echoes in the vast room. Once he lurches his way to the bar, he slams his fist down on the wood and leans in close to the human woman. Tell me what this place is! Why did you bring me here? Tell me, before I beat it out of you! The last sentence is punctuated by a loud "caw" from the raven.

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate check: roll is here
    (+5 from CHA, +3 from ranks, +2 from synergy with Bluff)
    Last edited by Rjanag; 2013-02-02 at 06:33 PM. Reason: fix [spoiler] and [rollv] tags

10. - Top - End - #10

Gull Dorrian, Possessed quasi-suicidal

Gull's ears prick up a little at the copious mention of magic and wondering at the nature of their arrival, taking a second or two to chime in 'I tried to learn magic once, I wasn't very good at it though.' The latter half of his statement is unusually cold and carries a tinge of resent.

He does not shift from the spot he has claimed on the floor nor does he rise from it instead he remains seated and twiddles his thumbs, in a metaphorical sense, while musing on why it is they are here and where "here" even is.

At the barmaid's suggestion of drinks Gull abandons his current train of thought and begins to call to her as she leaves
    'I'd just like some water if it isn't any troub-.'
    Sadly that particular sentence is never finished and floats away forgotten in seconds amongst the yelling and flurry of movement that accompanies the drunken,and apparently armed, man's stumbling charge towards the bar.
    Last edited by Moonwolf727; 2013-02-02 at 07:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Liam Morgan

My pleasure Linda. he begins, wishing to make an acquaintance with the strangers, when Enrik's outburst stops him. My man! he calls out, walking to the drunk. He found his threats of violence repugnant and unnecessary. Stop before you do something foolish he chastises the sorcerer, putting a hand on his shoulder. Lets instead sit down and talk. I think there is a lot we can tell each other.
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2013-02-02 at 08:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Lindara Halosphere: Templar of Pelor

Lindara ducks the crossbow as Enrik swings it around.
    I agree, Dr. Morgan, lets try to figure this out without fighting. To the elf at the bar she says, I would like a glass of water. I believe this man, Gestures to the thin man, would like a glass of water as well. I believe the drunk shouldn't have anything but water or coffee for a while. I'll pay for it all and whatever Dr. Morgan, our other companion, and Azoth want as well. She goes to aid Enrik over to a table in a corner away from many of the other customers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy Check to calm Enrik down and less aggressive. Rolled Here
    Last edited by Dark Hawk799; 2013-02-02 at 08:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Markus Kyre
    Waving an arm to gesture at a nearby unoccupied table, Markus pauses to run a hand through silver hair before adressing his companions at large.

"The young lady has left to get us our explanation and getting worked up about it wont make her run any faster. How about we all take a little sit down and rest our bones while we cool our heads."

He makes his way over to said table, happy to let the others take the risk of manhandling a man he knew nothing about. The raven gave him suspicions of the man's abilities, but it would be foolish to assume. Bending down he settles onto the end of the bench leaving the rest for the others.

"I imagine we've all come from different places yes? I myself was in the library when called"

He scans a surreptitious eye over the room at large, trying to find a pattern in who was there and what they were doing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot Check (If applicable) (1d20+8)[12]

14. - Top - End - #14

Azoth ducks as the drunk spins around. Resisting the urge to point his own crossbow at the man. This Lindara seems to have a level head and common sense. Azoth, puts away the crossbow, pulling out his walking stick. On one end of it is a purple crystal. Azoth touches it, and it's glows faintly, it clears his head and helps him concentrate. Coming back to reality he addresses Lindara. "Thank you for the offer Lady Lindara, a small loaf of bread is all for me. I agree that we should sit down and try to figure out our situation"
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

The woman in blue spots the angry man as he stumbles towards the bar. She takes a defensive stance, something resembling a martial pose. As he yells at her, she responds:

"Sir, there is no need for violence. If you assault me I will be forced to retaliate. Please, everyone, calm down!"

Rolling against intimidate (1d20+7)[25]

As all the commotion is happening, but before the drunk man is quite calmed, the massive figure leaps over the rail and lands with a thundering boom. What appears before you is a towering creature, covered in moss and greenery. In its hand is a long coil of rope, thick enough to tow a Galleon. It shouts in a voice that shakes the entire room. The creature brandishes the massive rope menacingly, but stands back.

"You. No. Hurt. Her! Get back!"

The girl in blue calls to the angry giant, trying to calm it.

"No Jade! Don't attack them!"

The creature remains agitated but doesn't initiate combat.

Rushing out from a door above comes a Dwarven man, hastily dressing himself in a blue satin vest and bow tie. On his back is a hefty crossbow. Behind him is the elf and her cat, and further behind is a halfing with wild golden curls. The Dwarf shouts out commandingly, less to the strangers than the creature.

"Everyone stand down!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Markus Kyre spots the creature before it leaps, and identifies it as some sort of Troll.
    Last edited by artofregicide; 2013-02-02 at 10:53 PM.

Plays in Noble Trouble

16. - Top - End - #16

Gull Dorrian, possessed quasi-suicidal

'Eep.'

Spoiler
    Show
    Since "Jade" just leaped down I assume no-one is paying attention to Gull so He's going to hide underneath any table within 15ft.

Move silently to get under the table without being noticed (1d20+11)[16].
    Assuming That the first roll goes well, hide check (1d20+11)[27].
    Last edited by Moonwolf727; 2013-02-02 at 10:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Lindara addresses the male dwarf, who are you and why are we here? How did we get here?

Spoiler
    Show
    Check to notice Gull moving(If necessary)(1d20+6)[15]
    Last edited by Dark Hawk799; 2013-02-02 at 11:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Liam

The massive creature draws Liam's curiosity. His brow furrows as he tries to discern its nature.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Nature to identify it: (1d20+16)[22] (using Collector of Stories)

19. - Top - End - #19

DruidGuy

Enrik, Human Sorceror

Enrik is surprised to see that the barmaid, who had looked so nervous a moment ago, is not quite as fragile as he had expected. At the same time, the other strangers around him are all urging him to back down. He glares at the barmaid for a moment longer, but then steps back away from the bar, shaking the doctor's hand off his shoulder.

After seething for a moment, he looks back at the barmaid and says, Fine. If you're not going to tell me anything, then at least get me a-- His last words are cut off by the boom of the giant creature crashing down into the room, and the sound sends him jumping into the air in surprise.

Look what you've done, you idiot!, the raven on his shoulder rasps suddenly in the common tongue, loud enough for the others to hear. Enrik swats the bird with the back of his hand, shouting, Shoo, pest, and in a noisy flurry of wings the bird leaps off his shoulder and flies up to perch on one of the lower balconies. He ducks behind a table and raises his crossbow again against the massive creature threatening him, but lowers it again when the dwarf shouts at everyone to stand down. He remains crouched behind the table as the woman newcomer, the one who had introduced herself as Linora, addresses the dwarf.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Liam
    A troll he whispers amazed: it looked very little like the prints he'd seen, and decidedly larger than the skull the museum had suggested. Liam made a note to add "juvenile" to the catalogue's description. With his curiosity sated for the moment Liam turns to the newly arrived dwarf; not before making note in his mind to interview the troll (if possible) and to ask the drunk about his talking bird. And where here is would also be appreciated. he adds after Lindara.
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2013-02-05 at 04:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

When the commotion starts, Azoth again lifts his crossbow, this time aiming at the beast. He really doesn't like this place now... When he hears the door open and more foot steps he pivots to aim at the new comers. After hearing the dwarfs comment, he slowly lowered the crossbow, but not all the way, these people were not going to pull a fast one on him.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Gull successfully hides underneath one of the heavy tables, his form mostly concealed by the thick wood.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls for Spot checks:

Barman: (1d20+3)[21]

Blue Lady: (1d20+6)[21]

Troll: (1d20+5)[16]

All three notice Gull go into hiding, but none of them can actually see him at the moment.

In the commotion, Lindara notices that Gull has disappeared, but is unable to locate him, though she has a general idea of where he was.

As things calm down, the Dwarf first answers the silver-haired woman.

"I am the barman. This is the Tavern... you are a long way from home, I'm afraid. I can't explain why you came here, and the how isn't much better. You have, basically, fallen through the cracks of the universe, and this is where you landed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Liam recognizes the creature as some variant of Troll, but it lacks the claws of the traditional beast, and is significantly heavier and more adapted to a woodland habitat. One might call the creature a "Moss Troll" or "Forest Troll" though none of his research can directly pinpoint the race. It does appear far more docile, and less aggressive than the average troll, and likely is an omnivore or herbivore, instead of a voracious predator.

Seeing that the man with the crossbow has withdrawn his aggression, the Dwarf tries to reason with him.

"No one wants to hurt you, sir. But there will be no intimidation or violence in this tavern. Nothing more than an agreed upon gentleman's brawl is acceptable. There is no need for weapons here, and the only trouble you shall find is what you bring with you."

Hearing the Doctor speak, the Dwarf turns to him.

"I can't really say 'where' exactly the Tavern is. The End of the Universe is its official name, but a better description would either be beyond or perhaps underneath the Universe. Regardless, I'm no planar scientist."

When the Dwarf and his companions make their way to the counter, he offers them drinks and food.

"Bread we have, and cold water too. Ale or wine for those interested, it's the least I can do. There's no need to pay, all this on on the Tavern."
    Last edited by artofregicide; 2013-02-05 at 06:54 PM.

Plays in Noble Trouble

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Markus Kyre
    From his seat at a nearby table Markus tries his best to be anything but the focus of attention until the hostilities have died a little. From there he sidled over to the bar to join the others as the dwarf who apparently ran the place gave vague explanations.

"So it strikes me there are two important questions," he takes a moment to steady himself leaning against the counter of the bar itself. "How did we get here, and how do we get back"

He gestures slowly to the cavernous expanse of the room "As lovely as your establishment is, I had important work back home and will be required back. I imagine several of you," he nods at his companions for emphasis "are in similar circumstances."

"But since I am here you can get me water and some bread."

24. - Top - End - #24

DruidGuy

Enrik, Human Sorceror

"No need for weapons?" Enrik scoffs at the dwarf. "Tell that to your big animal." By the last part his voice contains more sulking than scoffing, and he slings the crossbow back onto his back.

At the barman's offer of drinks, Enrik makes his way back over to the bar. "Wine, then--the strongest you have. If that's the only thing you people are good for." He chuckles for a moment. "I fell through the bottom of a bottle and wound up here...I wonder where the next will take me." At the same time, the raven flaps back down from the balcony and, landing on the bar, squawks, "Bread!". Enrik mutters something in a tongue some of the others recognize as Infernal, the language of devils.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Who offered you anything, you despicable @#!*%."
    Last edited by Rjanag; 2013-02-05 at 11:09 PM. Reason: fix

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Liam
    I think a more fascinating question is: why, by the infinite powers have the many faced unnameable gods, does this place look like a tavern that would be at home on Tinsmith Street. he says, looking at the rich wooden pillars, comely fittings, and homey hearths. And not like raw chaos or void or pure elemental essence. He thumps a pillar. This pillar does exist to you all, right? Oak, slender. he asks curious to see if the reality of the place was subjective.

When the bird speaks Liam turns, perplexed; it'd been a considerable time since he'd heard his native tongue spoken.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are you Old-Blooded too?
    he asks the drunk suddenly in the language of his ancestors; the language the old bloodlines, the aristocratic bloodlines, of Og-by-the-Hills and other villages and ancient towns spoke instinctively from birth.

Spoiler
    Show
    kn the planes: (1d20+12)[16] to know anything about a tavern like structure. Also, are there windows or covered windows?
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2013-02-05 at 11:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

DruidGuy

Enrik, Human Sorceror

"'Doctor'," Enrik calls to Liam, "If you had ever touched magic you would know it's just a pile of things that want to kill you or maim you or make you suffer. The rare time you come across a piece of it that wants to give you wine and food, just count your blessings and don't question it. Look too close and you'll turn it all to sh**."
    Last edited by Rjanag; 2013-02-05 at 11:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Markus Kyre
    Markus fails to hide his shock as the sorcerer openly talks ill of magic, and thus by extension Mystra. What distant land could he possibly have come from that even the mistress of the weave held no sway. Or perhaps the man held no fear of her. Perhaps, as his familiar confirmed his arcane bond, he drew on darker powers besides.

"You... You speak so freely of the ills of magic, you seem a man burned by a wizards touch. You wouldn't be the first I've met, men burned by the unfeeling ambitions of mages."

28. - Top - End - #28

DruidGuy

Enrik, Human Sorceror

Enrik responds to Liam in the tongue of the old-blooded:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Old-Blooded? I don't know anything about that. You mean this devil-speak? Damn bird invaded my head and put these words here."

To the old librarian's question he responds, "It was not mages, it was the magic itself. Magic hates and it burns. If you didn't know that yet... well, maybe you never did anything to earn its hate.

"Even if the magic doesn't hate you, it doesn't let anyone control it, either. Just look at this place. Even the master of the house does not know what it is."
    With that he turns back to the dwarf and adds, "How long have you people been here, anyway?"
    Last edited by Rjanag; 2013-02-06 at 12:48 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Liam

Liam takes a seat, grinning. I don't believe I have your name, Mister. But a bird taught you? That is quite impressive I must say he chuckles as the old man seems to rebuke the other's views on magic. I have little experience with practical magic, but as to being prudent with it: I believe the ur-type of planar travel explicitly warns against eating or drinking that of the realm, lest one be trapped there.

30. - Top - End - #30

Azoth stands there, listening to the conversations, trying to learn all that he can. He keeps one eye on the troll and the other on the dwarf
    Spoiler
    Show