New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Chapter One: Welcome to the Tavern

We should leave the fundamentals of magic for another day, today we need to focus on getting home safely. To the barman, do you have any idea of what we can do to get home?
    There are many perks to being a dragonslayer.

2. - Top - End - #32

The barmaidens and the Dwarf get quickly to work, serving their new patrons. Those that do not want food or drink are not pressed to take it, and for the most part the orders are bread and water, the first seemingly fresh from the bakery and the other cool and refreshing.

He calls out in the general direction of the man under the table, now that the mossy giant has backed down and there seems to be no more question of violence.

"Sir, you need to hide under the table. Please come out. I promise that my friend Jade will not harm you, nor will anyone else."

Once all are situated, the Barman begins to answer the myriad of questions. It seems this is nothing new to him.

"I'm afraid that returning will not be simple, though I will assist you in that as best I can. As for how you arrived, I have said before, I don't know exactly. Newcomers simply appear in the Tavern, from time to time. And I do my best to serve them."

The barman is reluctant to hand the drunk man any strong drink.

"I'm afraid until you've proven yourself capable of self control, further drink is not a wise choice. You might do well to drink some water, it'll help the hangover."

Hearing the bird, the Barman looks at the wretch before him and comments.

"That's one unpleasant creature. One wonders why you don't just be rid of him."

Spoiler
    Show
    Dr. Liam: Knowledge the Planes:
    There was talk, some time ago, of a hidden "Tavern" which a fledgling Demon Prince vowed to find a decade or so ago. He allegedly disappeared, but could have as easily been consumed by another up and coming Prince. Yet other than rumor, there is little you know.

There are no windows of any sort in the Tavern, on any of the levels you can see, nor any natural light. All comes from torches, braziers, hearths and chandeliers.

The barman waits patiently as the strangers speak among themselves, then answers the drunk again.

"I've been here longer than I care to count. It's easy to lose track of time in the Tavern. I might say about sixty years, maybe seventy."

Hearing the doctor speak again, the Dwarf simply comments:

"I'm no scholarly man, but I don't think food and drink are the reason this place is... so difficult to leave.

Finally, the barman addresses the angelic woman's question, which seems to be at the core of all's concerns.

"Leaving this place is not easy, but should you wish to find your way, the first step is through one of those three doors."

He points to the three massive iron doors.

"I can't tell you what is beyond them, only that few that go through them ever return. I don't know what is beyond there, and you can't know until you go there yourself."

With that, the Dwarf sighs and pours himself a drink.
    Last edited by artofregicide; 2013-02-06 at 06:51 PM.
    "If I've learned anything, it's to fear nothing."

Plays in Noble Trouble

3. - Top - End - #33

DruidGuy

Enrik, Human Sorceror

"The name is Enrik," the drunk tells Liam. "Enrik the yellow coward," the raven chimes in.

Enrik seethes for a moment when the barman refuses to serve him liquor. But then, with a glance over his shoulder at the giant creature who had threatened him, he decides to hold his tongue and begrudgingly takes the water. When Liam admonishes him against partaking of the food or drink of this plane, Enrik stares right at the doctor and takes a loud gulp.

Quote Originally Posted by artofregicide View Post
    "That's one unpleasant creature. One wonders why you don't just be rid of him."
    "One might say the same about your own unpleasant creature," Enrik responds to the barman. But you seem to be a man of some experience. You know how things are--we all have our little burdens."

When the barman points towards the doors, Enrik says to the other newcomers, "I suppose you busybodies can't wait to see what's on the other side? Well then... as it seems the wine at this bar is not flowing, I've little inclination not to go along."
    Sen, Siren Ranger [D&D 4e] (Threats to the Nentir Vale)
    Enrik, Human Sorceror [D&D 3.5e] (Tavern at the End of the Universe)

4. - Top - End - #34

Sitting down and eating his fresh bread, Azoth thinks... He turns to the dwarf and asks, "Which door is the most popular? And which door do most people return from?"
    Avatars-Avatars designed by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35

I agree with Enrik, we have no other choice but to go through one of those doors. The question is which one?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Liam

We do have a choice he says. Wait here, and learn more about each other before we rush past any brazen gates. Few ever returning sounds like a death sentence. he adds, sipping his water. As to my speculation on food and drink; it was not meant as an affront, rather as an example to Mr. Enrik that true caution with the unknown is more than just not examining it; but not interacting with it at all. I meant no slight to your intention to nourish or refresh us.

7. - Top - End - #37

Gull Dorrian, possessed quasi-suicidal

Quote Originally Posted by artofregicide View Post
    "Sir, you need to hide under the table. Please come out. I promise that my friend Jade will not harm you, nor will anyone else."
    'Sorry about that, I'm not often surprised by creatures such as this so it was a rather jarring experience.' Gull says as he clumsily gets out from his temporary shelter assuming a more dignified posture after he has dusted himself off.

Gull discretely dips a finger into his water before taking a sip, those paying attention notice a faint frost in the liquid. Directing a look towards the barman Gull asks quietly 'The promise of escape somewhere beyond those doors is all well and good and I don't mean to pry into things that aren't my business but how did you come to be here yourself, If you don't mind my asking of course?'
    Last edited by Moonwolf727; 2013-02-06 at 09:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Markus Kyre
    "If few ever return, surely this implies some do? So it stands to reason that those people are still here, so if you're actually considering taking the barman's suggestion that it could lead to an exit I would counsel finding one of the people who actually know what is beyond those doors."

Markus eats his bread slowly and carefully, having waited a short period after someone else had tried the food and water before touching his own.

9. - Top - End - #39

The barman ignores the drunk's provocations, and instead answers the blue eyed psion.

I can't say what door is most popular, though if I was to guess it'd be the center one. As for return, I'd have to say the center one again, but I don't really keep a count."

Hearing the doctor's grim speculations, the Dwarf tries to temper them with some optimism.

"I know that what lies outside the Tavern is dangerous, yes, but not assured death. Once, long ago, I went through those doors and returned, though from what I understand that not all experience the same when they enter. And, as for insult, none taken, I understand your caution, I was merely saying to the best of my knowledge that my provisions are untainted."

The barman smiles slightly when the man in green and orange appears from under the table, and speaks to him.

"It's certainly fine, Jade can be quite intimidating when she wants to be. But I promise you she's a good troll, albeit a protective one. As for myself, long ago, I appeared here just as you did. I was in the midst of a losing battle with a Dragon, with my comrades. I can only assume they are dead now. I ventured forth through those doors, but when I had my fill of trying to explore, I retired here, to take charge of the bar and protect the girls. That's the long and short of it, anyway."

Finally, hearing the cloaked man speak ill of his experience, the barman gently corrected him.

"I've got experience enough, but as far as I know the doors don't lead to the same place every time. Why that is, I can't say. I'm not a powerful mage like some folk, but I can assure you that is the way things are."
    Last edited by artofregicide; 2013-02-07 at 12:22 PM.

Plays in Noble Trouble

10. - Top - End - #40

So if were going to take a door I think we should go through the center one, but I also think that it would be a good idea to get to know each other and our strengths before we hit any big problems. To the barman, thank you for the aid, information, and your hospitality.
    Last edited by Dark Hawk799; 2013-02-07 at 07:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

DruidGuy

Enrik, Human Sorceror

Recalling the hurried way the dwarf had rushed into the tavern still half-dressed moments earlier, Enrik has a thought. Rolling his glass of water between his hands he asks the barman, "Besides food and drink, does this tavern have other extradimensional...'pleasures' to offer?" He shoots a knowing glance at the curly-haired halfling.

To Lindara's suggestion he says, "My name is all you people need to know about me."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Liam
    Dr Morgan scoffs at Enrik's words. You would be well advised to be less acerbic Enrik, lest you find yourself alone in a strange land, bereft of allies or solace he says. It is not as if any of us planed to be here or meet each other. He turns to the barman and asks My good sir, do you perchance have stimulants? Strong teas or other decoctions to waken the mind? I fell here as I burned midnight oil, and my mind is in risk of succumbing to sleep.

13. - Top - End - #43

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    Liam
    Dr Morgan scoffs at Enrik's words. You would be well advised to be less acerbic Enrik, lest you find yourself alone in a strange land, bereft of allies or solace he says. It is not as if any of us planed to be here or meet each other. He turns to the barman and asks My good sir, do you perchance have stimulants? Strong teas or other decoctions to waken the mind? I fell here as I burned midnight oil, and my mind is in risk of succumbing to sleep.
    Enrik, Human Sorceror

"Strange land...bereft of allies....", Enrik muses to himself. He and his raven both stare at one another for a moment, and then they burst out laughing. It takes him a few moments to catch his breath.

When the doctor asks for stimulants, Enrik perks up for a moment. He reaches beneath his cloak and fumbles around. After a moment he produces a small pouch, which he turns upside-down and empties onto the bar, revealing some pieces of red cloth, lengths of copper wire, lumps of wax, scraps of wool, and a hard piece of dark leather. He picks up the leather and holds it out to Liam. "Try this. One whiff of this foul-smelling thing could wake up a centuries-dead skeleton. It's pulled me back out of many empty bottles."

14. - Top - End - #44

Azoth sits and listens. Not trying to be secretive, but just polite. He eats his bread silently why listening to the others. He seems friendly and might answer any questions asked of him if need be.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

Gull Dorrian, possessed quasi-suicidal

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Hawk799 View Post
    So if were going to take a door I think we should go through the center one, but I also think that it would be a good idea to get to know each other and our strengths before we hit any big problems. To the barman, thank you for the aid, information, and your hospitality.
    Gull casts his gaze downwards for a brief moment at the mention of "strengths" but quickly corrects his expression before replying 'I have a little uh.. magic left over from my tuition but I'm afraid it won't be much help, it mostly gets in the way if I'm honest with you.'
    "LEARN YOUR PLACE!"
    As the word "magic" passes his lips Gull feels his stomach churn and his insides roil in a manner comparable to, but not quite as bad as, severe indigestion. Staring into his drink for a moment a singular bead of sweat ponderously makes its way down his forehead before he sits up properly in his chair, a slight change in his expression shows hints of overexertion despite him not having any outward reason for it. It's far too early for this, a distraction, I need to keep my mind off of that.

Gull turns in his chair slightly to face the white-haired man, perhaps the quietest one of them so far, and begins to speak while trying to keep himself genuinely invested in the conversation 'I don't suppose you have any sound advice for us at a time like this? There isn't much way you could but it bears asking at least if you could spare a wise word or two?'
    Last edited by Moonwolf727; 2013-05-17 at 12:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

"We have a simple decision to make, whether to sit here and await rescue like countless others are obviously doing, or to seek our exit. In doing so our greatest resource are each other, between us we might have the necessary skills to do it. If any of us would rather simply stay here and live out a peaceful existance then I would support him, but there's not nearly enough here for me."

"In terms of what I could bring to the endeavor, my youth I used to work with the city guard on their more covert operations. I imagine I should pick that back up quickly enough should it come to it, locks and devices the crime lords set up in their homes and that sort of thing. I'm noway near what I used to be but I might be able to give you a hand."

He shakes his head smiling wistfully

"I imagine the skills I learned maintaining a library wont be too much use, unless we have books that need dusting."
    Last edited by Eiko; 2013-02-09 at 01:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Moonwolf727 View Post
    Gull turns in his chair slightly to face the white-haired man, perhaps the quietest one of them so far, and begins to speak while trying to keep himself genuinely invested in the conversation 'I don't suppose you have any sound advice for us at a time like this? There isn't much way you could but it bears asking at least if you could spare a wise word or two?'
    Azoth finished chewing hi mouthful of bread and turns to Gull, "I am but a simple monk. I study the ebb and flow of energies. As for sound advice. All I can really give is that too stay calm, be rational, and stick together." Azoth then takes another drink of water before returning to his loaf of bread.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48

Hearing the angelic woman's gratitude, the Barman responds in kind.

"Ay, its no problem. I'm glad to help. You've been hospitable guests, so its the least I can do."

Enrik's insinuations cause the Barman to become embarrassed, and somewhat offended. Before he can come up with a response, the halfing answers for him.

"Ha. You're not my type. Maybe you should freshen up a bit and get rid of that squawking parrot."

Backing her up is the woman in blue, a certain fierceness in her voice.

"I don't know how they treat bar maids where you come from, but while you're here you'd be wise to treat us with decency and respect. Otherwise Jade might have to bring out her Gullwhacker."

She nods to the knotted rope the Troll carries. Having recovered, the Barman hears the Doctor's request for tea and puts a pot on the stove.

"Tea I can do. Would spicy mint be acceptable?"

Once the tea is ready, the Barman serves it in a large mug. While doing so, he realizes the cloaked stranger seems to misunderstand him, tries to correct him.

"I seem to have confused you friend: there are few, if any, who do not at some time go through the doors. I'm afraid the Tavern is quite dull, and most of the folk who come here are restless. I don't think anyone is waiting here to be found, for you could easily wait an eternity, I think."

See the determination of the strangers to move on, the Barman wishes them the best of luck, and Jade waves at them sheepishly.

"Good. Bye. If you come back, bring Jade a shiney. Okay?"

The barmaidens too wish you well, and now you must decide: Which door to take- West, South, or East? (The South Door is the central one). All the doors appear the same, each nearly 10 feet high and 10 feet across.
    Last edited by artofregicide; 2013-02-09 at 04:35 PM.

Plays in Noble Trouble

19. - Top - End - #49

DruidGuy

Enrik

Quote Originally Posted by Moonwolf727 View Post
    Gull casts his gaze downwards for a brief moment at the mention of "strengths" but quickly corrects his expression before replying 'I have a little uh.. magic left over from my tuition but I'm afraid it won't be much help, it mostly gets in the way if I'm honest with you.'
    "That's a man who understands magic!" Enrik laughs.

He says nothing when rebuked by the halfling and the human barmaid; he just sulks at the bar and drinks his water.

Once the barman leaves, Enrik paces towards the center of the room. "Useless place..." he mutters under his breath. And then to the others, "So. Doors that don't always go to the same place? I suppose you want to know what kind of magic is behind them. This might get interesting..."

Enrik rolls the sleeves of his cloak back slightly and the bird flies back to his shoulder. He starts to look at his hands and move them around clumsily, silently mouthing words--almost as if rehearsing. A few times he interrupts the ritual by muttering "No" or "That's not how it went" to himself. At one point the bird leans in close to his ear, saying something inaudible, and he turns his head and shoots it a glare that silences it. Anyone close notices his breath quickening, and a few times he uses his sleeve to wipe sweat from his brow. Finally, he utters some incomprehensible words aloud and makes a series of hand gestures, and then falls silent for a moment, waiting.

"Ha!" he laughs after a moment. "It worked!" He seems to be speaking more to the raven than the others. He focuses his gaze on the door in the center for a few seconds, followed by the others, and says, "Now let's see what we have here..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Detect Magic, and will look at each door for at least 3 rounds to see if there are any magical auras and, if possible, try to identify them. Let me know if I should roll any Spellcraft.

Edit: Spellcraft roll is here
    Last edited by Rjanag; 2013-02-09 at 10:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Liam
    Liam looks at the piece of leather curiously. Thank you, but what is one supposed to do with it? he asks, hesitant to bite into it. He lets out a relieved sigh when tea is offered. Spicy mint is acceptable, whatever that may be. turning to the troll he smiles. Gladly, Jade he says, charmed by the troll's docile behavior.
    He sees Enrik perform arcane gestures and laughs. i would not have pegged you for an thaumaturge! he says delighted as he sips the fresh tea. What is the purpose of your incantation? he asks, not recognizing the sorcerer's methods.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft to identify the spell: (1d20+8)[11]
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2013-02-09 at 05:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Lindara waits for the results of Enrik's spell.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Markus
    "If we are taking advice it would seem that the center door is the most sensible choice. It's hard to argue with history after all, by all accounts it gives us the best chance"

Markus pauses to scratch his sparse hair, observing the expressions of his companions and the barman.

23. - Top - End - #53

Azoth is content to sit and wait. He feels the insignificance of his existence and will go where ever the flow will take him as all energy does
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

After entirely too much waiting, Enrik determines the nature of the doors, to the best of his power.

Spoiler
    Show
    Results: Strong Conjuration, the exact spell/magic is unknown, but likely of that of teleporation, though the entire area is tainted with a strong aura of conjuration/calling, centered in the circle they appeared. As well, each of the travelers still carries a trace of calling magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, the Doctor is unable to determine the exact nature of the Sorcerer's magic, though it seems to be fairly basic and straight forward divination of some sort.

As the travelers prepare to leave, the Troll makes its way back to the hearth, and curls up beside it. The Barman and bar maidens finish cleaning, and prepare to retire. It seems that everyone is quite happy to move on.

Plays in Noble Trouble

25. - Top - End - #55

DruidGuy

Enrik

"Teleportation," Enrik announces to the others, pointing towards the southern door. "All of them. And not just the doors; this whole place stinks of it.

"No idea where those doors go, but it can't be any worse than here. I'm with the old man."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Liam

If we're all set on that course he says with a shrug. Just let me get my gear ready. I wasn't quite ready for battle when I got called here he says with some amusement. He doctor pulls out from his bag, and dons, a swordbelt with a strange looking scabbard, a sturdy carved bow, and a miscellany other devices. Gearing up like this made the scholar be transported to his youth, full of excitement and zeal. He snaps his fingers suddenly and turns to the barman. Do you have paper and ink we could take along with us. To make a record of what we see and experience.
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2013-02-12 at 11:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

The Barman hands the doctor a few sheets of parchment and a ink quill, all that he can spare at this time.

And thus the six adventures stand before the great set of iron doors, which swing outward when approached, likely by magic. A strange white mist obscures vision more than ten or fifteen feet, down what appears to be a stone hall. But around inside the door frame reality bends at the edges, giving no promise of what is beyond.

And thus it begins.

Plays in Noble Trouble

28. - Top - End - #58

Azoth stands towards the back of the group, waiting for someone else to move first.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Liam

Dr. Morgan peers into the mist reaching behind him he grabs one of the chairs and tosses it into the fog, curious to see or hear if anything happens.

30. - Top - End - #60

DruidGuy

Enrik

Enrik also hangs behind the door for a few moments, suddenly looking quite fearful and hesitant for someone who had just moments ago been urging the others to open the door. After staring at the mist for a spell and not seeing anyone make the first move, he takes another look at his new companions: mostly frail or old or both, except for the woman.

He steps out in front of the open doorway and gulps. Wagging a finger in the air, he looks to the raven on his shoulder and says, "Not one word." With that, he steps into the mist.