New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: MLP, the 3.5 project (PEACH)

I don't know how i feel about that, i think an all around immunity to something like fire is far more powerful than it seems at that level, spells don't even give resistance to elemental damage until second level spells. however, that being said, a scaling fire resistance ability doesn't seem out of the question, explaining how he is scorched early on, but immune to lava later, he gained some levels. i am editing it to resist 5+5 per level, reduce fire damage by half at 5th, and immunity at 10th

edit: finished my edit on cutie marks
    Last edited by ArkenBrony; 2013-03-20 at 07:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Like RPGs? Like free stuff? Check out RPG-a-Month by Archfossil! Every month a new game and additional content and updates for the games already active.

RPG-a-Month for May : ACE - Assault, Control, Espionage

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

that combined with several peoples homebrew attempts is what caused me to make this, so yeah, i did think of that. i love their april fools stuff, and wish they made them. the old useless monster figures, like flumphs, could exist if it wasn't a joke

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by zetsu1919 View Post
    that combined with several peoples homebrew attempts is what caused me to make this, so yeah, i did think of that. i love their april fools stuff, and wish they made them. the old useless monster figures, like flumphs, could exist if it wasn't a joke
    If you couldn't tell from the avatar, I'm somewhat of a fan myself...

I can't wait to go through and pick what you've written out, I've just not put aside the required time to go through it all. Which in itself is usually a good thing. You've got a lot of content there and I'm excited to flip through it.
    Like RPGs? Like free stuff? Check out RPG-a-Month by Archfossil! Every month a new game and additional content and updates for the games already active.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

cool, i've been waiting for someone other then my brony D&D friends to look over the class

6. - Top - End - #66

...other then my brony D&D friends...
    There are other kinds of friends?

And at first glance I am enjoying this (like I thought I would.) But I don't feel I've read enough to post anything substantial.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusapult View Post
    There are other kinds of friends?
    well, i have non-D&D brony friends, and non-brony D&D friends

And at first glance I am enjoying this (like I thought I would.) But I don't feel I've read enough to post anything substantial.
    take your time, just with these last few sentences, you've made my day, so do what you want

8. - Top - End - #68

For your consideration, I would change the Pegasus stats to +2 DEX, +2 CHA, and -2 CON.

The DEX bonus for their natural agility and time spent in flight training as fillies.

The CHA bonus because of all the ponies (except Alicorns) Pegasus seem the most organized. Between CMDR. Hurricane and the Wonderbolts, they appear to be natural leaders.

And the CON hit because I have always assumed the bones of a pegasi to be hollow in comparison to a birds. Which would explain their ability to fly and walk on clouds.

Take it or leave it, either way good job.
    Last edited by Octopusapult; 2013-03-20 at 09:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

The DEX bonus for their natural agility and time spent in flight training as fillies.

right

The CHA bonus because of all the ponies (except Alicorns) Pegasus seem the most organized. Between CMDR. Hurricane and the Wonderbolts, they appear to be natural leaders.

hmm, hadn't thought of that, thank you

And the CON hit because I have always assumed the bones of a pegasi to be hollow in comparison to a birds. Which would explain their ability to fly and walk on clouds.

that... makes sense, cool

Take it or leave it, either way good job.
    i have been trying to get most races to have +2 to 2 stats, and -2 to 1, this was the last one i was stuck on

10. - Top - End - #70

i have been trying to get most races to have +2 to 2 stats, and -2 to 1, this was the last one i was stuck on
    I had noticed that, it was the reason I wanted to suggest the changes.

Have you considered any Fourth Wall Breaking mechanics? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I feel like it might be a fun route to explore for creative elements.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

i have, but that is a later task. i was going to use it as part of a class that pinkie pie has... it would probably help if i explained, i am going to create a class for each of the main 6 beyond just assigning a preexisting class. so pinkie will be a merge of bard and classic cartoon abilities, as well as her inventing powers. AJ would get abilities based on all the skills given by working at a farm. rainbow would get special maneuvers. fluttershy would get animal companion-like abilities. twilight would be similar, but not the same, as a wizard. rarity would be unique.

on an added note, i know the races are a little too powerful for +1 LA, so do you think it would be wrong to give all races the following ability?

nonlethal- anytime you would deal damage to a living creature, it is dealt as non-lethal damage, even if you are using a method of damage that can't normally be non-lethal, like magic or a weapon. you can force yourself to deal lethal damage, but at a -4 to hit and to damage.

it would work in the mlp universe where no pony ever dies, but would allow them to integrate into a world where killing is needed.

12. - Top - End - #72

i have, but that is a later task. i was going to use it as part of a class that pinkie pie has... it would probably help if i explained, i am going to create a class for each of the main 6 beyond just assigning a preexisting class. so pinkie will be a merge of bard and classic cartoon abilities, as well as her inventing powers. AJ would get abilities based on all the skills given by working at a farm. rainbow would get special maneuvers. fluttershy would get animal companion-like abilities. twilight would be similar, but not the same, as a wizard. rarity would be unique.

on an added note, i know the races are a little too powerful for +1 LA, so do you think it would be wrong to give all races the following ability?

nonlethal- anytime you would deal damage to a living creature, it is dealt as non-lethal damage, even if you are using a method of damage that can't normally be non-lethal, like magic or a weapon. you can force yourself to deal lethal damage, but at a -4 to hit and to damage.

it would work in the mlp universe where no pony ever dies, but would allow them to integrate into a world where killing is needed.
    Yes and no. If they're being integrated into a normal d20 game it might be too much. But I've never tried playing a pacifist character so I'm not all savvy on the loopholes that could be formed.

Since you're giving them specific classes, why not only fill the classes to 15-18 and limit them to those classes only? Then the LA doesn't much matter since it still rounds out at 20 somewhere.

I guess they would be a little powerful at lower levels, but I don't think it'd break the game.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

i would write the classes up to lv 20, because i always use the buy off LA alternate rule from unearthed arcana, i'm gonna add it to my races

14. - Top - End - #74

i would write the classes up to lv 20, because i always use the buy off LA alternate rule from unearthed arcana, i'm gonna add it to my races
    That'll do ya'. What's next on your list for the project then?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Non-lethal is useless against constructs. You can deal lethal against undead because they aren't alive so that works with your wording.

You should specify if the same loophole exists for constructs.

All in all it sounds good to me.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-03-21 at 01:14 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

...since when are constructs alive... they are powered by magic, and have no constitution score...

my next step is racial feats

i have a change for the changeling, heh, to give it a charisma draining ability.
    Last edited by ArkenBrony; 2013-03-21 at 05:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, a general review of the races so far.

The main three pony races: Decent so far. No real comment.

Crystal Pony special ability: light production when above half there total hit points? I mean, they sparkle.

Zebra: Cannot help but think that a -2 to Con or Str would be more fitting. Notably, Zecora has a thinner frame than the ponies in the show, and the -2 to charisma would hinder roles that they thematicly would fit. Zebra Bards, anyone?

Griffons: I would think they would get Cloud Meddling as well. Also, I cannot help but think that a -2 to charisma would be better. Gilda might have been a bully, but she wasn't stupid.

Buffalo: I could see these guys getting Powerful Build, at the very least. Also, Stampede seems like it would be better as a feat or somesuch, and the currant version is pretty useless as a whole.

Minotaurs: I think the 3.5 race works fine, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Zebra: Cannot help but think that a -2 to Con or Str would be more fitting. Notably, Zecora has a thinner frame than the ponies in the show, and the -2 to charisma would hinder roles that they thematicly would fit. Zebra Bards, anyone?
    If the rest of Equestria acts the way Ponyville did in regards to Zebras, then it makes sense to drop CHA.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

If the rest of Equestria acts the way Ponyville did in regards to Zebras, then it makes sense to drop CHA.
    Eh, that is more of a diplomacy penalty than an all out charisma penalty to me.

It would actually be a bonus on intimidate if you wanted to be really strict about the way the episode worked (which I don't recommend).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Eh, that is more of a diplomacy penalty than an all out charisma penalty to me.

It would actually be a bonus on intimidate if you wanted to be really strict about the way the episode worked (which I don't recommend).
    That is true. It's hard for me to justify charisma drops because of social stigmata, but sometimes it's the best I can come up with. It's just a weird penalty to apply when the character is only talking to members of his own race and still taking CHA penalties for the way their race is seen by "the rest of the world."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

That is true. It's hard for me to justify charisma drops because of social stigmata, but sometimes it's the best I can come up with. It's just a weird penalty to apply when the character is only talking to members of his own race and still taking CHA penalties for the way their race is seen by "the rest of the world."
    Again, diplomacy penalties, not charisma penalties. I rather suspect that if she has any ranks in it that Zecora is not suffering any racial problems with UMD, and probably not Handle Animal either (and she may have ranks in both, although the lack of a pet argues against Handle Animal). Certainly she doesn't come off as unintimidating when she is chewing them out for wrecking her hut, and her scary stories on Nightmare Night are ace (Call it Intimidate, Diplomacy, or Perform[Oratory], all three are Charisma based).

So, yes, I could see a diplomacy penalty for most circumstances if you WANT one. I could also see you saying that Ponyvillains are yokels and more cosmopolitan ponies either know what a zebra is and don't care, or don't know, and don't care.
    Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

[QUOTE=Pokonic;14943061Crystal Pony special ability: light production when above half there total hit points? I mean, they sparkle.[/QUOTE]

sounds like a plan, when i next update, i will probably do this

i get what your saying, so what do you think i should give as stat modifiers, i am open to everything right now

Griffons: I would think they would get Cloud Meddling as well. Also, I cannot help but think that a -2 to charisma would be better. Gilda might have been a bully, but she wasn't stupid.
    makes sense, cloud meddling, to me, is weather alterations and such, gilda does nothing of the sort, not that she can't, i just haven't seen anything to prove it, though i should make a note of any creature with flying being able to walk on clouds and treat them as cushions.

Buffalo: I could see these guys getting Powerful Build, at the very least. Also, Stampede seems like it would be better as a feat or somesuch, and the currant version is pretty useless as a whole.
    sounds good

Minotaurs: I think the 3.5 race works fine, actually.
    also good, will probably incorporate this stuff tomorrow, got stuff to do today.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

-2 strength for zebra sounds good to me.
    Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

ok, i've done the changes, the next big update i do will be on my second post, i am going to define what cloud meddling does, and add cutie mark feats for each mark, and do some racial feats. stay tuned

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

I've begun the process of building cutie mark feats, located in my second comment, and they will continue to slowly update throughout the week, as it is spring break for me so i have tons of free time.

26. - Top - End - #86

I've begun the process of building cutie mark feats, located in my second comment, and they will continue to slowly update throughout the week, as it is spring break for me so i have tons of free time.
    Looking good. I'll be reading it later tonight and hopefully remember to post my opinions.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

done magical student and dash, and removed cloud meddling from the list of pegasus abilities and moved it to a feature granted by dash, and i will probably make a racial feat that does the same

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

after long thought, i have made a decision that before acting out, i want to hear what opinions everyone else has. cutie marks to me are a more subtle ability, as it is just saying what you will become ultra-good at, having it does not mean you are the best at it. so, at least to me, it stands to reason that your cutie mark should give a subtle, always useful ability, that can only become your characters focus if you have a class. in other words, making a "cutie mark" type class, that evolves the talent in the cutie mark, while the racial ability itself is nowhere near as powerful. the class idea is new enough in my head that i havent decided on prestige class, racial paragon class, base class, or some other method, so any input would be nice.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

It wasn't a matter of Zecora being socially inept. It was more of an awkward cultural overlap. Among the ponies after she's given a chance, and I'd imagine in her own land, she's quite sociable, though speaks in an odd tongue. Less of a charisma thing more of a cultural/ethnic misunderstanding. I also think the way she talks may be either class related or a dialect, or the language of Equestria may not even be her first language.

Anyway, nice job so far. I'll try to pitch in some advice or something soon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

My first campaign began with the players bumping into each other after getting lost in a magic forest, and with nobody having track or to have bothered putting ranks in survival it was easy to use the lost excuse.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hahahahahah! You fell for an unimportant spoiler!

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by pokepaul View Post
    It wasn't a matter of Zecora being socially inept. It was more of an awkward cultural overlap. Among the ponies after she's given a chance, and I'd imagine in her own land, she's quite sociable, though speaks in an odd tongue. Less of a charisma thing more of a cultural/ethnic misunderstanding. I also think the way she talks may be either class related or a dialect, or the language of Equestria may not even be her first language.
    I already learned my lesson and wrote to Celestia about it.