New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Question Has anybody played 'Expedition to the Demonweb Pits' out there?

Hi, I was wondering if any of you old hands out there have played this super-module?

For the uninitiated, the adventure consists of a planehopping story centered around Sigil and the entire thing is a tribute/spiritual successor to the original Queen of the Demonweb Pits module from AD&D.

I am going to be running it was wondering what you thought of it and whether you had any tips for it?

Party is 5 man, 8th level, mid-op.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Has anybody played 'Expedition to the Demonweb Pits' out there?

It, like the other Expeditions, is pretty well-built. You can run it as-is pretty easily.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Are speaking about the 2nd edition adventure, or the 3.5 edition one?

I haven't played the 2nd edition one (my only experience with second edition are PC games).

About the 3.5 ed one, I think it would work better if modified for a higher-level party (15 level or more). I don't think an 8-12 level party should meddle so much with the affairs of a council of evil deites and demon lords and survive.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Modifying an adventure of this size like that would take weeks of free time which frankly I don't have (hence running a premade).

Besides, the PCs have dealt before with deity level powers, knowingly or not, as they are the champions of the goddess of luck tasked with finding who has tricked the goddess of fate into believing it its time for the multiverse to die, by faking the signs of the apocalypse. (Campaign is called planequake and involves goddess of fate literally shaking the planes apart little by little).

I may end up having to tune up some of the bad guys anyway due to DMM cloistered cleric buffing the rest of the party to the point where they punch above their weight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I have played this module. Was alot of fun. I think our DM had us start at lvl 10. We ended around 16 or 17 i think. Played it about 3ish years ago.

Party consisted of:
    1/2 Orc Favoured Soul/Poius Templar
    Kobald Fighter
    Elf Druid
    Dwarf Lasher
    Halfling Invisible Blade

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

this looks like fun, what is the over all environment used? Currently my party is roughly 400ft underground. Can it transition well to that?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Thats the beauty of plane hopping, it can happen anywhere. I forget where on the Material plane the campaign begins. But I'm sure it wouldn't take much to have it begin underground if you so liked. Drow live there so easy enough to tie it into the Module.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Well the suggested adventure hook is drow attacks on a village, but I don't see why you shouldn't have them observe a drow army on the march in the underdark. Then have the first encounter be a scouting party that leads into the adventure propper.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The drows could be exterminating the svirniflins, pechs and deep dwarves, or the characters could watch them driving a throng of human captives brought from the surface to be sacrificed at their temple.
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2013-10-03 at 12:38 PM.