New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge In the Playground XLII

You know, funny that you mention that...

Congratulations to everyone!

I've got to admit, though - I had about a 90% certainty that Jef was Piggy's entry.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Good job, everyone. Some interesting work done with a real oddity of a class.
    I look forward to seeing you in action again, Amph. Sorry we made your last challenge busy with all the queries to the judges.

I don't know why I built Tacgnol. Something in seeing extra reach made me just want to take it to the farthest extreme, especially after noticing that SS has no max range in melee. For those who wondered, it is actually possible to extend Tacgnol's reach out to 60 feet by taking lunging strike, though I felt an extra 5 feet for a full round action seemed a little lackluster. If an extremely strict DM rules that Tacgnol doesn't qualify for extended reach, one can simply drop dark and shifter, and go human, using the extra feat on deepspawn and buying the gloves of man. Anybody who knows of a way to extend reach any more, please let me know.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

3. - Top - End - #243
    Halfling in the Playground

Wow,

I was definitely not expecting to place in my first time out.

On a side note, was I the only one who assumed that Shadow Vision let you see in the darkness spell? They both have the phrase "Shadowy Illumination" in thier discriptions and See In Darkness mentions deeper darkness so I thought it was a logical progression. Otherwise why not just say gives Darkvision as the description for Shadow Vision?

I tried to wedge Imperious Command into my build, but I couldn't fit it until lvl 18 and by that point using a standard action for fear didn't make sense with the number of attacks available, except as last resort. I also felt that you couldn't have a Shadow Blade build without the Shadow Blade Feat.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome! This was a fun one, and a good end to Amph's run as chairman. Thanks for the past year+ of great IC competitions, Amphetryon!

I made a pretty silly blunder with Jef. I'd started out with Jef as a dragonborn, but I really wanted to fit in Maiming Strike, and I thought that LE was a better fit for him alignment-wise. So I tried redoing him as a human, and found the build flowed a lot better - but completely forgot to take out the bits about using the [dragonblood] soulmelds! It was a pretty silly error, considering that I could have easily either gone silverblood human or used a slightly different low-level setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    On a completely urelated note I've been thinking about Jef Costello's build and it seems that for a more high powered version of him, the ghost template would actually be really nice.

It would make the need for ninja obsolete (thus freeing up 3 levels). It would render Move Silently pointless thus freeing up skill points (though this would probably lower UoSI scores since it means the 5 ranks in Move Silently you need to get into the PRC are wasted as well as partially reducing the effectivness of the Shadow and Stealth class feature), the abilities would mesh well with the character, It would allow him to go ethereal as many times as he wants for as long as he wants, It would allow for an alternate method of attack with the Quicken Manifestation feat from Libris Mortis, and it would allow him to take Flyby Attack without relying on the dubious legality of using animal devotion (he can also fly as long as he wants).

The only problem I can see is that it takes away focus from the SI (also, 1 level in the Savage Progression would be more optimal but also more cheesy. The build would still be fine with the full template).

Thoughts?
    I agree that ghost would be a cool option, and could eliminate the need for totemist entirely. I probably wouldn't use the ghost savage progression in an IC, because I think I'd get slammed for cheese, but you never know.

The only problem is that I would still need 8 levels in ninja to attack while ethereal, unless I happened to pick up an Ethereal Reaver somewhere (and I hate using item-dependent builds in IC). Quicken Manifestation would let me manifest from ethereal to incorporeal as a free action, but I couldn't swap back without spending a standard. Unless I'm missing something with your suggestion?
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yes, congrats to the champions. I look forward to the next event =)

I also felt that you couldn't have a Shadow Blade build without the Shadow Blade Feat.
    I tried to do the same thing But as usual, my build was feat intensive (I'll try to change that next time), and I couldn't fit it in. My other idea was Warblade 5/Shadowblade 10/Incarnum Blade 5, for a slew of blade-centric ideas
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-03-02 at 08:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    Awesome! This was a fun one, and a good end to Amph's run as chairman. Thanks for the past year+ of great IC competitions, Amphetryon!

I made a pretty silly blunder with Jef. I'd started out with Jef as a dragonborn, but I really wanted to fit in Maiming Strike, and I thought that LE was a better fit for him alignment-wise. So I tried redoing him as a human, and found the build flowed a lot better - but completely forgot to take out the bits about using the [dragonblood] soulmelds! It was a pretty silly error, considering that I could have easily either gone silverblood human or used a slightly different low-level setup.

I agree that ghost would be a cool option, and could eliminate the need for totemist entirely. I probably wouldn't use the ghost savage progression in an IC, because I think I'd get slammed for cheese, but you never know.

The only problem is that I would still need 8 levels in ninja to attack while ethereal, unless I happened to pick up an Ethereal Reaver somewhere (and I hate using item-dependent builds in IC). Quicken Manifestation would let me manifest from ethereal to incorporeal as a free action, but I couldn't swap back without spending a standard. Unless I'm missing something with your suggestion?
    ...darn you're right. Ah well.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    The other issue is that, if you still go the Mindsight route, Shedu Crown's telepathy is mind-affecting. Undead...yeah.

Funnily enough, I was thinking that Jef was your build, but figured that you had too much rules mastery to overlook the [dragonblood] thing...

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    The other issue is that, if you still go the Mindsight route, Shedu Crown's telepathy is mind-affecting. Undead...yeah.

Funnily enough, I was thinking that Jef was your build, but figured that you had too much rules mastery to overlook the [dragonblood] thing...
    Rules mastery itself is not enough to overcome the dreaded "Vestigial Rough Draft Remnant."
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post

I wasnt sure about this. Mindsight requires telpathy special quality. Soulmelds are a class feature and are as such Special qualities. As to being mind affecting or not, mindsight states anything in range of your telepathy. If your telepathy is 30ft you detect anythings inside 30ft. If its 1000 miles, it is anything within 1000 miles you can mindsight. If you are immune to the mind affecting nature, there is nothing that actually stops being within the range of that telapthy and consequently, are seen.

10. - Top - End - #250

Imp

Congrats everyone. Was a good round. MY FIRST GOLD WOOOHOOO!!!

To answer some questions-

I was on the fence about Darkstalker. I decided the build worked fine without it and thought it would be a common option that might dock me points for originality.

I didn't take craven intentionally because the fluff required you to be sort of a scaredy cat and I saw Briggs as arrogant and bold.

Precise strike was taken because it gave me +2 to hit per sudden strike dice sacrificed. This translated into a possile +4 dmg(/ SS dice sacrificed) via power attack, which is better than 1d6 damage 50% of the time. But more importantly, with all the on hit effects that Briggs could bring to bare, sometimes just hitting the target was more important than how much dmg you could do. In these cases the extra +10 to hit would be invaluable.

You can most certainly use unerring strike with whirlwind attack to hit targets you can't even see.

K, thanks for a great round of judges. Hope to see everyone in the next round. Thank you Amph for your sacrifice and hard work. You have done a great job. I look forward to competing against you in future rounds. But I am going to miss your clever introductory phrases.

To the new chairman, thanks for stepping up to keep this wonderful competition going.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, Krckitickl earned me less than I had hoped for my first ICOC, but probably better than I deserved. As I thought, picked up all my points on fluff and a few elegance, deservedly weak on power/uosi. A fun round, and a good learning experience I thought. Thank you, judges!

Oh, and if I may weigh in regarding next round, I'd be very excited to try either of the Ooze lord prcs.
    Last edited by sabelo2000; 2013-03-03 at 02:08 AM.
    Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.

Outlandish Claim #5:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Belkar Bitterleaf isn't "playing against type", he's just a complelely normal halfling.
    No plan survives first contact with the PCs.

12. - Top - End - #252

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by sabelo2000 View Post
    Hmm, Krckitickl earned me less than I had hoped for my first ICOC, but probably better than I deserved. As I thought, picked up all my points on fluff and a few elegance, deservedly weak on power/uosi. A fun round, and a good learning experience I thought. Thank you, judges!

Oh, and if I may weigh in regarding next round, I'd be very excited to try either of the Ooze lord prcs.
    Don't feel discouraged. A lot of people enjoyed Krckitickl. This round was better for having that entry. If you keep putting that much devotion into your entries you are bound to pick up a medal eventually. You were, i believe, the only build to use Unseen Weapon feat from pg 138 of the Tome of Magic (possibly the only one to even notice its existence) to adapt the SI into a working ranged build. And I personally, really appreciated the charismatic story. You were my honorable mention vote and after I read through the entries for the first time, I was honestly afraid that your entry would beat me.

P.S. the next round has already started xD. It is complete warrior's Bladesinger (page 17-19).
    Last edited by Gotterdammerung; 2013-03-03 at 03:22 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, I'm asleep at the switch tonight. Just got done DMing a session, though, so maybe I have some excuse!

I'll get right on that!
    Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.

Outlandish Claim #5:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Belkar Bitterleaf isn't "playing against type", he's just a complelely normal halfling.
    No plan survives first contact with the PCs.

14. - Top - End - #254

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Final Reveal! Good show, everyone; I look forward to being on the other side of this process in the future.

{table=head]Entry|Place|Total
    Briggs, by Gotterdammerung|Gold|52.5
    Jef Costello, by Piggy Knowles|Silver|47
    Hammond Shadowstrike, by Darkcouch|Bronze|46.75
    Nightman, by Venger|Fourth|44.75
    Mortumdal, by Macabaret (HM)|Fifth|43.25
    Tacgnol, by The Viscount|Sixth|42.75
    Geula Abishag, by rockdeworld|Seventh|42.5
    Xen'kra Torkak, by 8wGremlin|Eighth|40.5
    Ynolar Darkheart, by 8wGremlin|Ninth|38.75
    Krkitckl, by sabelo2000|Tenth|38
    Saleed, by Droark|Eleventh|34.75
    Munemasa, by smasher0404|Twelfth|31.25
    Keeliani Amaruak, by Vaz|Thirteenth|27.25[/table]

The next Iron Chef will be up when Kuulvheysoon decides he's ready.
    I'd like to thank those that are slaving away over prior rounds like this one to ensure accuracy in our records spreadsheet. For sake of completeness, I'd like to point out that one judge miscalculated Mortumdal's score; the categories equaled a score 2 points higher than the total provided. Because of this, the placement for Mortumdal and Nightman should be switched. However, if our new chairman would rather, we could award Nightman an additional +0.5 in Elegance to compensate for the error, thus rendering fourth place a tie. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    I'd like to thank those that are slaving away over prior rounds like this one to ensure accuracy in our records spreadsheet. For sake of completeness, I'd like to point out that one judge miscalculated Mortumdal's score; the categories equaled a score 2 points higher than the total provided. Because of this, the placement for Mortumdal and Nightman should be switched. However, if our new chairman would rather, we could award Nightman an additional +0.5 in Elegance to compensate for the error, thus rendering fourth place a tie. Thoughts?
    New Chair? I believe that this one (should) land squarely on Amph's lap.

16. - Top - End - #256

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Seems to me the error should simply be corrected, resulting in Mortmundal taking 4th place.

Incidentally, Savannah has informed me that she's not able to produce trophies for Geomancer or Shadowblade. Would you rather I find a replacement, or would whomever Kuulvheysoon has tapped be willing to step up?
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Excellent delegation. Let the broken hearts fall at his feet. I kid, I kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Seems to me the error should simply be corrected, resulting in Mortmundal taking 4th place.
    Duly noted. I'll inform my Fellow Nerds™ of the change to the final scores.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Well, as nightman's chef, I certainly wouldn't want him to take someone else's well-deserved place. if Mortmundal's numbers put him in fourth, then I'm on board with giving it to him.

as far as trophies go, I'm sure we chefs would be happy with whichever chairman is able to get an artist with the time and inclination to do them. I know I would. it's a pity Savannah can't do them, her work on hotwm was phenomenal.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Duly noted. I'll inform my Fellow Nerds™ of the change to the final scores.
    Change marked. Sorry to stir this up. Glad we could settle it so quickly. Thanks for understanding, Venger.

As for artists, I'm with Venger. Whoever's willing to donate their time would be welcome.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

20. - Top - End - #260

Imp

I've never had a gold trophy before... I couldn't wait any longer so I made my own xD.

P.S. You can use my trophy for shadowblade if you want to.... BUT you won't want to

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

That trophy is adorable.
    Awards

22. - Top - End - #262

Imp

I amz paint master!