New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Looking for a Misplaced Sci-Fi RPG

So, this weekend I was talking with some folks about Dawn of Worlds, and it reminded me of a Science Fiction equivalent that I saw posted in a thread about "God Games" a while back.

I've always been a big fan of game-ifying setting creation, so I'm a bit reticent that I didn't save that set of rules back then. From what I can remember it involved something along the lines of each player semi-randomly generating a planet then working out the relationships between those (geographically and politically) through another semi-random system.

So, basically, can anyone at the Playground remember anything like that? If you know of something better, or other setting creation games, please do tell me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a Misplaced Sci-Fi RPG

Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

While I can't help you with that, I've seen good things done with Lords of Creation. It's quite popular on these forums.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Hm, I'll probably end up picking Microscope up, but the system I was thinking of was distinctly scifi-specific and was a free download.

I don't have a huge amount of hope for this, but at the very least I may be able to coax out other examples of the genre (which appears to be working )

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

@Jack of Spades: Do you remember when you saw this? And are you sure it was here? I have tried every search term I could think of and have manually searched through two years of Playground Archive, and I've got almost nothing.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2013-02-06 at 12:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    @Jack of Spades: Do you remember when you saw this? And are you sure it was here? I have tried every search term I could think of and have manually searched through two years of Playground Archive, and I've got almost nothing.
    It was definitely here, in a thread that was about (or evoked discussion of) 'god games.'

This was... maybe late spring/early summer of last year.