Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&DNext: Night Robes of the Sun Coast

1st Day of Work, the Month of Growth, 101 N.R.
    It is warm along the Sun Coast this year, like every other year in these parts. The light rains that are common this time of year has already begun, even as far east as Port Canyon. This is where you find yourself, standing in front of the Sun Coast's famous inn, The Grumpy Bald Man Inn and Tavern. You open one of the double doors and step inside. The dining room is dimly lit, filled with the aroma of smoke mixed with roasted garlic chicken. The tavern is known as the best first stop after an adventure. Dinner time on a work day, the restaurant is steady, about half full. Most of the patrons are humans, but there is a smattering of dwarves, elves, lycans and gnomes. Straight ahead of you is the bar. You recognize the bartender, a young, but bald, half-elf named Cole Hael. He waves you over, knowing exactly why you are here. He ushers you into a private backroom.

"Bosco prefers to not speak business in the dining room." Cole closes the door behind you.

You find yourself in a room with a fairly large round table, filled with delicious food. Chicken, roasted potatoes, honey beans, choice breads and cheeses litter the table. A young, very cute blond girl arrives behind you. She serves only the finest Padonthia wine, dwarven spirits and house-brewed ales.

"Come in, come in. Sit, eat and I will discuss the business side," says a slightly chubby, middle-aged man. Bosco Trubald IV is known throughout the Sun Coast as a wealthy merchant who owns a lucrative trading company and about half of Port Canyon. He continues, "Pay is 25 gold a piece. The Pickled Pigs Feet Festival is in two months. Since this is the one hundreth anniversary of the festival, I want to make it special. I would like to present to the leaders of the joblins pickled fangtusk boar feet."

He takes a sip of wine and then continues, "You leave from here tomorrow morning. I have horses arranged for you at the stables. Head to the town of Hot Springs, it will take five to six days to get there, but there are villages along the way to stop in. Once in town, deliver this," Bosco sets down a roll of papers sealed with his seal.

"And this," he sets down a coin purse. "To Trista, a bronze dragon that controls the Dragon District. Tell her you need a guide to hunt fangtusk boar, and some spring water. Don't worry, she doesn't bite. The guide should know of a good hunting spot. Get eight to ten fangtusk boars, pickle their feet and bring them to me in Three Rivers. Take your time, I'll be there for a couple of weeks. Any questions? Introduce yourself and ask away."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: D&DNext: Night Robes of the Sun Coast

Saphothere glanced furtively around him as he approached the inn. He was starting to get the hang of these types of meetings, but he never felt comfortable in anything larger than a small village. Too many buildings, too close together. Too many people. Too many sights, sounds, smells. He'd started missing the wilds as soon as he'd stepped through the gate.

Inside the inn was even worse. It was fairly typical, as inns went, but he could never shake the feeling that the walls and ceiling conspired to crush him. As he steadied his breathing, Saphothere tried to focus on the delicious aromas that permeated the air. His stomach growled its acceptance of this strategy. The hot food and dry straw were the only things that made coming into these places worth it. And women.

A bald half-elf gestured him closer. Saph could see several other adventuring types wandering over to the bartender as well. This must be Cole Hael. Not much to look at. Cole ushered them all into a backroom.

"Bosco prefers to not speak business in the dining room." Cole closed the door behind them.

Saphothere found a seat with his back to a corner and began filling his plate almost before the fat man had finished his greeting. He set upon it with enthusiasm. Why can I never find a cheese tree in the wild? Is that so much to ask? Saph listened politely as the man (Bosco Trubald, he calls himself, as if that should matter to me) explained the details of the job.

Once Bosco finished speaking, Saphothere took a loud sip of wine and cleared his throat. "Fangtusk boar, eh? You ever seen one o' them, Bosco? No, I doubt y'have. Bigger 'an you, and not nearly so polite. I once saw an alpha boar rip through a handful o' caravan guards just to get at the horses. These ain't no cuddly kittens yer askin' us to hunt. An' for what? 25 thin coins?"

Saphothere paused and took another sip of wine. "Smart choice, though... if joblins are anythin' like their less civilized cousins, they love pickled boar feet. An' it just so happens that we've already got ourselves one o' the best guides around. Me." Saphothere flashes a smile to everyone around the table (and especially at the serving girl). "I reckon a man who can put on a spread this fine for such a motley bunch can do a bit better 'an 25 yellows. I ain't ever heard o' a Trubald bein' called a miser." Since I've never heard of a Trubald before. Saphothere knew he'd take the job regardless. But it never hurt to push for a little more, and it amused him to get under the skin of city folk.
    Last edited by Kazun; 2013-08-27 at 04:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

A human man of normal stature enters the room and sits down at the table. He's wearing a dirty white shirt and a brown jacket on top of it. His pants are dark with grass stains on the knees. He has black eyes and dark wavy hair. He laughs as Seph flashes the girl a smile. He has a kind smile, though his face is dirty. He reaches for the sealed roll of papers that Bosco has offered.

"Do we get paid upfront? My name is Ren, by the way. I'm a hunter."

Ren also accepts the coin purse to present to Trista.

"If we get paid tonight, I'll take my ends and see you all in the morning."
    Last edited by dwalp7; 2013-08-27 at 11:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Exclamation Re: D&DNext: Night Robes of the Sun Coast

"I'm not a wild man like yourself, Saphothere, but I've killed many types of boars on my hunting trips. My trips, however, are for leisure and have many fine hunters like yourselves in front of me. You make a valid point though, I'll up the ante give you each 30 'yellows'. That extra five should buy you a fun night." He grins widely as the cute blonde drops off another glass of wine. "I'm happy to have you on board."

Bosco looks to Ren, "No sir, I do not pay up front, I believe mine and my families reputation in these parts will allow you to sleep peacefully at night. All lodgings are paid for." He places several more rolled pieces of parchment with his seal on the table. "These will pay for your lodgings, food and drink, within reason that is, along the way. I should have two more folks coming to join you. I will go over things with them, then you young ones can have fun. I'm getting too old to stay up too late. By the way, your horses will have plenty of rations, water and supplies for the trip. I have heard the badlands have been very... uh... well busy of late, so your journey could prove quite entertaining."

Each parchment he places on the table is labeled with a different village.
    "Trutowne"
    "Lakeside"
    "Port Weather"
    "Hot Springs"
    "Hunter's Outpost"
    "Westford"
    "Three Rivers"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

An arcanni a bursts into the room, sweaty and exhausted. Am I late? I herd something about fangtusk boars. Nasty buggers. I'm Darkrain by the way. Proud member of a Druidic clan. Spells and whatnot... He grins as a bea of sweat rolls down his forehead. He holds out his hand to Ren
    And treasure!
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Cora startled at the arcanni's abrupt entrance and a cantrip came automatically to her lips. Electricity sprung forcefully from her hand, splattering her bowl of honey beans across the table.

"Fragging beans," she cursed by way of apology, and climbed down from her stool to set about cleaning up the mess.

Why was she so on edge? This was a simple job, for generous pay, far from any battlefront...

She took another ale, and did not ask Bosco about the badlands.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

A tall, pale elf wearing a black cloak enters the room and sweeps it with his piercing blue eyes.
    Chasing after boars is not what I expected for a quest, I would think that this man would simply call for hunters to do that. And asking a DRAGON to help you find them, well, this man must really want to impress the joblins. Something about this quest did not seem right, which was the only reason Urthro even considered taking it.

"I am Urthro. I am not a hunter, but I speak the language of dragons, so I may be of use to this . . . quest in that respect, as well as dealing with unanticpated dangers."

Of which Urthro was certain there would be many.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dun, dun, dun.
    Last edited by Leonardo; 2013-08-29 at 07:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Nodding his head, Ren shakes Darkrain's hand. He pulls a pipe from his jacket, "Do you mind?" and sparks up a match before anyone answers. The weed burns slowly in his pipe before he returns to his thoughts.

"So there are five of us? And the girl, that's six right?" He winks, playing along with the chauvinistic banter.

Ren turns to Bosco.

"Your reputation also tells me you will pay your debt. I trust you will. Thank you for the job, boss."

Ren collects the parchments as a cloud of smoke leaves his lungs. He reaches for the documents and a gold chain peaks out of his jacket sleeve. On his right hand, he wears a bronze ring with the insignia of a human tribe long-lost to battle.
    Last edited by dwalp7; 2013-08-29 at 08:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Bosco looks to Ren, "Yes, it appears five is a good number. I was hoping one other would show up, but they must have ran late, perhaps they will show up in the morning. This looks like a good hunting group, either way. I trust I will see you all in Three Rivers by Midfest. They throw a good party. I have had my fill for the night, I will be heading home. I should be around the stables at dawn if you think of any questions, but I can't stay long. I have a boat to catch. See you in the morning." Bosco takes his leave, leaving you to finish up eating and drinking.

The ale flows freely tonight, and you each have comfortable rooms. The inn has all the common amenities of the time period; communal hot showers, separate for male and female, pool tables up stairs, women to be bought, toilet rooms, fire place and clean towels. What you do in your own time, Bosco does not care.

2nd Day of Work, the Month of Growth, 101 N.R.

The stables are just around the corner from the inn, very easy to find. Bosco awaits the group.

Bosco greets you, "Good morning! Let me know if you have any questions, otherwise you better get a move on, you should reach Trutowne before nightfall."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Determine marching order and anything else you might need to do or add before travel begins. I am going to speed through overland travel, get to the good stuff.

CryWolfCorrupt:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming you are still going to play, just assume you met up with Bosco on his way out the inn and meet up with the party at the stables in the morning.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Ren picks out a good horse and begins to fill each saddle bag with stuffed leather bags. He slips the parchments into a long overcoat he is wearing this morning. He whips his coat back to slip something in his back pocket and you see a blade hanging near his hip. He doesn't say a word and climbs on top of the horse and trots the horse out in front of the stable.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Current Cast of Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saphothere, Human Ranger 1, 13 HP
    Darkrain, Arcannis Druid 1, 9 HP
    Ren, Human Rogue 1, HP
    Cora, Halfling Mage 1, 9 HP
    Urthro, Elf Mage 1, 7 HP

Ren
    Spoiler
    Show
    Still need a character sheet.

12. - Top - End - #12

When everyone arrives at the stables, a stout, scarred dwarf is standing preparing his own horse, but stands no higher than the horse's back at the top of his helm.

Aye, lads. I 'sume Bosco got to ye as well? I hear we're hunting some piggies! He laughs at his own joke, but grows silent when no one else laughs. A greatsword adorns his back, the hilt bearing an insignia of a dwarven clan. I found the rations! He helps himself to one of the rations provided in his saddlebags. Multiple handaxes cover his belt, including two small stone daggers on small holsters on his ribs; both covered in odd markings. He finishes devouring his treasure and looks back to the group. Name's Tarnal, son of Trashak. I be the brains of this 'ere operation! Another hearty laugh from the bottom of his chest, un-swallowed food flying out of his mouth. Just playing around with ye, I'm the muscle. He flourishes the greatsword in a large arc before letting it settle back into its scabbard on his back; all in one smooth motion. Honored.

13. - Top - End - #13

OrcBarbarianGuy

The horse is friendly enough and no warhorse, which is fine with Cora.

She fastens her small crossbow where she can reach it easily, and her rune-carved quarterstaff too. A potion is tucked inside her cloak, the rest of her belongings stowed effeciently among Bosco's supplies behind her saddle.

"We got no healer," she notes, "so let's try to stay out of trouble. Saphothere and Darkrain, it couldn't hurt to have a ranger and a druid riding point once we're in the wide open.

"If we do find a fight, I imagine it will be hard to keep Trashak's son anywhere but at the front."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Do you expect that you will get close enough to wild boars to use a sword or axe, Tarnal of the witless humor?" Urthro asks dryly.

If nothing goes wrong on this stupid "quest", thinks Urthro, then it will not be worth the effort. Still, if this Bosco did not expect something to wrong, he would have simply hired hunters, not adventures.

[OCC Note]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells Prepared: Mage Armor and Burning Hands
    Last edited by Leonardo; 2013-08-30 at 05:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Darkrain strolls up to his horse and pets it. I can probably help with healing, herbs and spells n such. Lighten up Urthro, shouldn't be too much of a problem. We can handle it. he grins before mounting his horse and pulling his hood over his head.
    And treasure!
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Ren prompts his horse to begin trotting down the path.

Spoiler
    Show
    Char Sheet Roll:

(4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[15]

17. - Top - End - #17

The smile fades from Tarnal's face. He swings himself up on to his horse as gracefully as he can. You shall see the true power of the dwarves soon enough. Boars are no match for the likes of me or my clan. He moves his custom-made, adorned scabbard to the side of the horse, in a position to easily reach his hilt. His horse slowly trots down the way after Ren.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The horses are well fed, and it's easy enough to get on the road. Heading north from Port Canyon, you pass through a small village before entering the dangerous badlands. You travel throughout the day, and it is fairly uneventful. The badlands are hot, but you travel next to a river so the going is mostly easy until Saphothere realizes you are being followed. You realize you are surrounded by a group of bandits, all humans. There are six of them total. Thanks to Saphothere's knowledge of the wild, you easily spot them.

Combat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: I put this in the recruiting thread, but I'll repost it; I don't think it's needed in pbp. Ya'll get initiative.

There are six humans.
    Hit Points: 4
    Armor Class: 10
    Everyone post their rounds, all enemies are within feet. Post what kind of attack/damage you do. I don't think we need a combat map for this.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

After a blur of motion Urthro has a bow in had. He fires it
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[8]
    [roll]1d6+3

slightly to quickly, the arrow passes inches above one of the bandits heads.
    Last edited by Leonardo; 2013-09-01 at 08:14 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Tarnal sweeps off his horse, whipping his greatsword from its scabbard and wrenching it in a downward arc on the closest enemy. Swinging the weapon as widely as possible he shouts the name of his clan.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[6]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[12]

The haste with which he attacks and his zeal for combat caused Tarnal to try to hit two targets with his arc, causing him to miss both.
    Last edited by CryWolfCorrupt; 2013-09-01 at 11:32 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Ren turns the horse about-face and swings a light crossbow out from under his overcoat. With a smooth motion, he loads an arrow and pulls it back while he aims. Then he releases the bolt.

Spoiler
    Show
    He releases the bolt.
    [roll]1d20+2[/roll]
    [roll]1d8[/roll]

This doesn't seem to be working on mobile. My Internet is out so I'm making do. That's why I can't email my char sheet. AC 15 HP 8
    Last edited by dwalp7; 2013-09-02 at 09:23 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Here is a map, orange are tall plateaus.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, I give at least 2 full days before post a round. Any character that has not taken action, I will take it for them. If this happens three rounds in a row, I will assume you have dropped the game, and your character will disappear when appropriate. Feel free to place your characters differently with a move action.

Ren
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[5]
    (1d8)[8]

Miss

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Trying not to miss a beat, Ren loads another bolt into his crossbow and lets loose.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's try this again.
    (1d20+2)[3]
    (1d8)[3]

Ren's horse bucks back during the shot, sending the arrow far off-target.
    Last edited by dwalp7; 2013-09-02 at 09:26 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

OrcBarbarianGuy

Cora drops from her horse, hoping it will have the good sense to remain with the other horses, and follows Tarnal into battle.

Fingers splayed outward, she chants a spell and flames fan out at the attackers. With luck, they won't survive to counterstrike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moved to I-10 or thereabouts. Burning Hands: bandits in 15' cone (beginning with Tarnal's target and catching as many others as possible) take 3d6 dmg or half that with a Dex save vs DC 11.

If Saphothere's warning gave her time, she first cast Mage Armor - DM's decision, she's not delaying her attack for that if she didn't have time.

25. - Top - End - #25

Tarnal makes lifts his greatsword back off the ground, taunting the closest humanoids in earshot. C'mon then, women. (assuming they're men) Fight me if ye dare. The Stoneblood Clan does not back down! He swings his greatsword again, this time trying to swing it through the mud and up between the legs of the closest humanoid.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[23]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[13]

As the sword connects with his opponent, Tarnal lifts the man off his feet with the sword's momentum and slams him into the mud.
    Last edited by CryWolfCorrupt; 2013-09-03 at 07:41 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Saphothere stabs one of the humans, killing it. The druid misses with his attack. Saphothere the only success on round one. Cora's burning hands drops three of the pesky bandits.

Combat Round 2: Everyone Post Rounds (Except CryWolf)

Just before being cut down by the dwarf, the human slices into him with his longsword. The final bandit, seeing the dwarf kill his final companion, drops his sword and yelps, "Please don't kill me!" He drops to his knees.

Tarnal
    Spoiler
    Show
    You take 6. From now on, please wait until I request the second round of combat.

Current Cast of Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saphothere, Human Ranger 1, 13 HP
    Darkrain, Arcannis Druid 1, 9 HP
    Ren, Human Rogue 1, 8 HP
    Cora, Halfling Mage 1, 9 HP
    Urthro, Elf Mage 1, 7 HP
    Tarnal, Dwarf Fighter 1, 14 HP, 6 Taken

Bandits (1 left)
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Points: 4
    Armor Class: 10

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Well, that was quick. Let's make a search of these men."
    Urthro is off his horse in one smooth motion and begins his search
    Spoiler
    Show
    Search check if necessary: (1d20+4)[7]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Ren asks, "What are we to do with the last one?" He collects his arrows and returns to his horse's back.
    Last edited by dwalp7; 2013-09-03 at 10:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Tarnal steps up to the man. Let him go. Let 'im spread the word of the Stone'earts. Of our power and dominance... but also of our mercy. He spits on the ground behind the man and wipes the blood from his sword, replacing it within the scabbard. He rifles through the belongings of the others.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Other than basic clothes, and cheap weapons, you find between them that they have 16 gold pieces and 7 silver pieces.

"It wasn't my idea to attack yas!" The middled aged, probably half drunk, man yelps. "I promisses its won't happen agains!"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since this is a play test of new rules, here goes the first house rule thanks to playing. Screw electrum pieces. Those should have stayed gone. Anyone disagree? I'll highlight pieces of value (ie treasure) in 'sandy brown'. This will indicated a knowledge, search, etc check that it is only worth is in gold pieces, not magical. As we go along we can add other colors for magical or whatever. That way you can see the passive checks that I make for noticing things. Is anyone color blind by chance that that is a problem? Just trying to make pbp faster for everyone. Feel free to post suggestions in a spoiler.