Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 2205
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Armour repacked, Rico snorts with barely restrained glee. "Please--- bar the doors, then, sir." She unships her flail as she walks, hissing out the side of her mouth as she does so, "Sirus, Ironballs, with me. Top of the precinct steps. Y'all else, flank, cover the street. Drive them thattaway. That is, if need be."

    Fitting deed to word, Rico slams her flail against the nearest tree and sends splinters of wood into the crowd's faces, takes position at one corner of the station's steps and says, "Attention, good citizens of Sandpoint. If y'all do not go back to your homes before the count of ten, y'all will be charged with Unlawful Assembly, Disturbing the Peace... and Assaulting an Officer. Do NOT waste the Sheriff's grace. I repeat, GO HOME UNLESS Y"ALL WANT TO BE SENT HOME. Ten... nine... eight..."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Intimidate. Bonuses for size difference, official uniform and obvious better armament?
    (1d20+6)[11]
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mithric Gunn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Mandraiv Kaijitsu steps up next to Rico, giving the assembled an imperious noble glare.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate aid: (1d20+3)[21]
    Lord Havelock Vetinari Avatar by AlfredAmeoba.
    "A sense of terrifying admiration overcame him.
    He wondered what it was like in the Patrician's mind. All cold and shiny, he thought, all blued steel and icicles and little wheels clicking along like a huge clock. The kind of mind that would carefully consider its own downfall and turn it to advantage." "Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don't seem to have the knack."-Terry Pratchett

  3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Setsuna

    Hearing Rico's challenge, Setsuna decides there might be a better way to handle the situation, These people are scared and angry, trying to cow them may end badly... That in mind, she steps up next to Rico, the 5'3" barely tiefling looking weak next to the much taller and imposing figure of the armor-clad half-orc constable, and calls out calmly to the crowd, trying to make them see reason if the threat of imprisonment or violence is not enough. "Citizens of Sandpoint, please return to your homes. The Watch is already doing all that it can to ensure your safety and that the beings responsible for the assault on you yesterday are brought to justice. What you are doing now is only going to make both tasks more difficult and potentially provoke another attack. One watchman has already been injured by this foolishness, are a few gold coins truly worth the security of Sandpoint to make you act act thus?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[15]

  4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Cipriano Verneti

    "And if it is coin you're after", adds Cipriano, his hand in his coin purse. "Then it is coin you shall have." But those wishing for a shower of gold and silver to placate the masses were sorely disappointed, as the only thing flying out of the cleric's gauntleted fist was a single, bent copper piece that tingled on the cobble stones before lying still.

    "Look around you. Look at your friends, your kinfolk. Remember your wives, your sons and daughters at play, your elder folk warming their feet by the fireside, the yet unborn sleeping under their mothers' beating heart. That copper penny is all their lives will be worth the second we start turning on each other. The men and women inside these walls risked their very lives yesterday to keep you safe. To keep your wives unmolested, your elderly alive and your children from being taken to sate the hunger of monstrous gods."

    "And this is how you repay them? With greed? With anger? With violence? You shame yourselves, you who I thought brave and true. You with whom I shared an ale in victory", Cipriano chastised the gathered crowd, eyeing especially those whom he had seen in the Rusty Dragon the night before. "Go. Go back to your families. Unless you hold them as cheap as that piece of metal on the ground."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another in Diplomacy (1d20+6)[26]
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-02-27 at 03:45 PM.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Sirus

    Sirus stands in front of Rico. He says nothing and does nothing, but stand totally motionless. But he stares into the face of the more energetic citizens, One by one. And he stares. And he stares. Until his eyes seem to pierce their soul and rattle inside their skulls, two cold icicles in their thoughts.


    Spoiler
    Show

    Intimidate (1d20+9)[12]

    EDIT: Ooof that did not work

  6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    GM post

    The gathered citizens merely mutter discontentedly when Rico makes her appearance and they don't take much notice of Sirus either. Setsuna's speech sets them looking vaguely uneasy, but it is Mandraiv's appearance as a Kaijitsu relation, however, that stuns them into silence. By the time Cipriano is done chastising them, a few shamefaced citizens are already slinking away.

    In less than a minute, the front of the Garrison is clear once more, much to the obvious relief of the duty watchman, who exhales loudly. Nobody takes up Cipriano's copper coin, which lies there in the dust among the cobblestones, winking in the late morning sun.

    *****

    Red

    Red is about to step outside the Garrison with the others when Hemlock coughs and clears his throat. "Miss Allin. A word, if you will."

    Red stops walking and lets the others pass her by, her eyes narrowed in annoyance. Why did he have to keep picking on her? Only after Rico has begun shouting at the crowd outside, does she slowly turn to look up at the Sheriff, her jaw set stubbornly in defiance. Hemlock has walked up to keep an eye on the others outside through the open door, and he towers over her, one hand idly swinging his official trucheon.

    "Miss Allin," he begins.

    "...Red," she says quietly.

    "Excuse me?" Hemlock frowns and leans forward.

    "Red. My name is Red." Red lifts her chin a little higher, looking straight into Hemlock's flinty gaze. "Not Allin."

    Hemlock shrugs and refuses to budge. "Miss Allin," he says sternly. "Given your criminal past and your proclivity for rioting and your proven knee-jerk attitude towards authority, you are the one of the last people in Sandpoint that I would even consider recruiting as an auxiliary watchman. But the situation is dire. The Watch is short on manpower. And the only orc blood in all of Varisia that I would trust with my life trusts you..." Hemlock glances briefly through the open door at Rico's back, before leaning in so close that Red can smell the coffee that Hemlock had for breakfast on his breath.

    "You're treading on thin ice here. More so than the others. Don't break that ice. Got me?" Hemlock's voice is harsh as he smacks his truncheon loudly on his open palm.

    Why did he have to lean in so close like that? Did he really think that the only reason she was friends with Rico was so she could do bad things and not get arrested? Red has the sudden urge to punch Hemlock in the face, but she only scowls and curtly bobs her head once in response. Because Rico would be very upset if Red punched her boss and it would be wrong to make Rico choose between her and Hemlock.

    Got it.

    *****

    GM post

    Once Red has rejoined the rest of you, you all proceed along to Sandpoint Cathedral. The town square is still a mess after yesterday's festival and attack, but is rapidly being cleared up even as you walk through it, thanks to the industry of a few dozen citizens busy shifting tables and sweeping up the spilled food.

    You find Father Zantus sitting on the steps of the church, still dressed in his robes of office, wringing his hands nervously and chatting with a hunchbacked acolyte of Sarenrae. Since yesterday, the good Father's had to trim off most of his beloved singed beard, and the revelation of his hitherto unseen chin makes him look younger and spryer. Upon seeing your group, he scrambles to his feet and looks around expectantly. "Hello! Did Miss Hannah deliver my message? Is Sheriff Hemlock on the way?"
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-28 at 03:50 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Cipriano Verneti

    At the garrison

    When the crowd had dispersed, Cipriano's shoulders slumped and he let out a sigh of relief.

    "Thank Cayden for that. I was afraid things would get ugly", he spoke up. He had been ready to pull out a mace and defend the garrison with non-lethal force, but he would have hated himself afterwards, bringing weapons to bear against people who were, on the whole, innocent.

    They're scared. The goblins broke into their homes and almost burnt the town. Oil into the fire...

    "If we have time, we should seek out th' man who put up this bounty, and tell 'im to withdraw it. Things might heat up again at night, once some of 'em get a pint of liquid courage down their throats", he continued, shaking his head in disapproval. That kind of behaviour did not honour Cayden Cailean; to celebrate a victory was good, as was sharing camaraderie with friends. To loosen tongues and speak the truth was also good; but to use it as an excuse to cause pain and destruction...

    May Cayden turns their drinks to piss and their bowels into stone.

    When there was no one left on the street, the armored cleric walked over to the copper piece and picked it up. Turning back, he walked over to the nearest watchman who had been observing the scene - Hannah, was that her name? - and pressed the coin in her palm. "Remind 'em of this if they come back." he whispered, surprisingly serious before stepping back onto the cobblestones. "Shall we continue?"

    *****

    At the Cathedral


    Some of Cipriano's seriousness waned as the party walked over to the Cathedral. Probably in his nature, that ability to slide effortlessly from one state of emotion from another. Some might call that flighty; but it was perhaps his way of dealing with the world's hurts and pains: in the end, he always favoured laughter and a smile over tears and a scowl.

    At the approach of Father Zantus, the young cleric nudged Rico's back. "Your call, serjeant", he whispered with a chuckle.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    At their rebuke and disperal
    At Setsuna, Cipriano
    And that magister Ironballs
    Rico looks on them with a fresh
    Respect and respect less grudging

    A singular frown and shoulder-squeeze
    ---she passes on Red when she
    Passes the Sheriff Hemlock's doors

    And on meeting Father Zantus,
    Rico scowls but holds her tongue
    ---What a piece of work, these goblin scum!
    But takes the lead when the distraught
    Priest wrings his worried question
    Hand on haft, halforc marshal marches
    Up to half the temple's steps and says
    ---"Nay, yer holiness. They're stretched thin.
    We're all that could be spared.
    There were more... assaults. Two more injured. And
    Sheriff Hemlock himself's barely
    On's feet. Yerself, Father, what seems to be the problem?"


    Spoiler
    Show

    Koff. Hope y'all don't mind the poetic bug that's bit me. The speech-parts, they're straight prose... well, except for the linebreaks. Speaking of which, tis a scheme of mostly iambic tetrameter. Tu-de-du, don't know why that exactly.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-02-28 at 11:30 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    GM post

    Father Zantus glances at the rest of you with some scepticism - clearly, despite whatever you've done yesterday, you all weren't exactly what he had in mind when he asked Trooper Hannah to summon help. Nevertheless, he pulls himself together and explains the situation to Rico.

    "Well... I'd just finished conducting the consecration service and was preparing the stuff for Gaffer Pelor's burial service in the evening... Pelor's got no family, see, so I'd had thought to have his funeral first and the rest tomorrow. Right, I'm just here digging some incense out of the cupboard when Brother Vosk here-" Father Zantus breaks off to gesture at the hunchbacked acolyte, who immediately hobbles his way forward at the mention of his name. "Brother Vosk knocks on my door and tells me that the door of the crypt containing Father Tobyn's body wasn't properly shut."

    "Aye," confirms Vosk in a surprisingly strong voice despite his twisted body, drawing himself up as tall as he can manage. "It's my dooty to keep the Boneyard neat and tidy. I was just 'bout to let Brother Zantus here know that I was all done 'cavating Pelor's bit of plot when I walked past the crypt what we use only for priests - saw the ground was all scuffed up, the lock broken, and the door open partway a little - just so." Vosk holds up his thumb and finger in an approximation of an inch, licking his lips nervously. "First I figured was just some pranksters from the festival yesterday, but then I heard some scufflin' noises from inside. Thought it might be... y'know. Goblins. Thought maybe should let the Wotch handle it."
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Cipriano Verneti

    "Could be. Goblins aren't too smart, but some of them might be clever enough to try an' lay low when the town was up in arms", Cipriano nodded.

    "Still... I have to ask", he said as he drew a weapon. Not his handsome rapier, but the rather utilitarian light mace, his fingers tracing the lines of its flanged business end. "Th' place bein' a graveyard and all... Has the cathedral had any trouble with the restless dead in the past?" he asked Father Zantus as apologetically as possible. For Ven Vinder it was a matter of pride not to have rats in his basement; but that pride was nothing compared to the pride a resident cleric took in making sure that those interred by the faithful would not have their eternal rest disturbed by malign energies or malevolent spellcasters.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Sirus

    Sirus observes the conversation in his usual deadpan way. His brow furrows for a minute.

    "What I would like. To ask. Is. How often. Do you visit. That specific part. Of the graveyard. If the. Disturbance. Is recent. Then it might. Not be. A coincidence."

  12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    GM post

    Brother Vosk grunts in response to Sirus' question. "Everyday, every time I walks in and out of the Boneyard, I see that vault. 'Tis the vault right by the town wall - not far from the gate. Last checked everything right afore I locked things up to head to the festival. Are you saying that... someone went and messed with the vault on purpose?" He furrows his brow, utterly perplexed at the thought. "But... why? We don't keep nothing fancy in them vaults. Just body and bones..."

    "Exactly so," muses Father Zantus, looking first at Brother Vosk, then at Cipriano. "I've been here five years and I've not had any of the dearly departed rise from the Boneyard on my watch. And if any happened before that, I've not been told. Most of the records went up in flame when the old chapel burned down. If anyone knows, it'd have been the priest here before me... Um. The one's whose vault door is currently open..." He reflexively looks in the direction of the Boneyard, as if to make sure that its cast iron gates remain locked. "Are you saying you think there's some necromancy afoot, Brother Cipriano?"
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-03-01 at 04:17 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Cipriano Verneti

    "I'm sayin' that I'd rather not be mauled by a bear when chasin' a fox", Cipriano said with a touch of a smile. "I don't accuse you nor your predecessor of failin' th' faithful, Brother Zantus. But it'd be foolish of me not t' consider th' possibility of undeath. After all, this land still bears th' marks of th' Runelords of old, may their names be forever cursed."

    Reflexively, Cipriano's hand reaches up and rubs his left shoulder. The wound had healed a long ago. The memory had not. The skittering feet, the vaguely humanoid face screeching. The elder priest casting protective wards on the children as the swordmistress pelted the monster with alchemist's fire. The metallic smell of blood, the venom burning in the wound, making him weak...

    The young cleric shook his head a little. Snap out of it, ya daft git. Ain't no time for that now...

    "Well now... shall we have a look, then?" he said with a smile, hoping that his companions had not noticed him drifting into that nightmarish memory.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff to pretend nothing's wrong (1d20+7)[27]
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-02-28 at 03:01 PM.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Setsuna

    Setsuna shivers slightly, The undead? I hope not, they are even worse than goblins, at least they fear for their lives. But who are these 'Runelords'? I'll have to ask about it later.

    She glances from Cipriano to Father Zantus, "It may simply be some troublemakers having morbid fun, but for the former priest's tomb to be broken into during a goblin attack on a festival to sanctify the new church...it does not seem like coincidence. I do not know what goblins would want with the remains of your predecessor, but I would not put necromancy beyond their malevolent nature."


    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive to see how bothered Cipriano is...(1d20-1)[8]

  15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Sirus

    "Yes. Let us look. But carefully. Tracks and minutiae may be trampled upon. If we are not. careful."

  16. - Top - End - #316
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mithric Gunn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Bury your dead in the ground, then complain about necromancers desecrating them. Ever heard of cremation?

    Mandraiv glances appraisingly at Cipriano, "A fellow student of history, I see. I hope this doesn't have anything to do with them. Still, we should be wary. Necromancy is nothing to be taken lightly."
    Lord Havelock Vetinari Avatar by AlfredAmeoba.
    "A sense of terrifying admiration overcame him.
    He wondered what it was like in the Patrician's mind. All cold and shiny, he thought, all blued steel and icicles and little wheels clicking along like a huge clock. The kind of mind that would carefully consider its own downfall and turn it to advantage." "Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don't seem to have the knack."-Terry Pratchett

  17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Red

    At all the talk of dead people rising, Red shivers and gazes warily out at the Boneyard, slowly rubbing her arms as if for warmth. Why on earth would anyone break into someone's grave? Didn't they have any respect for the dead? And what on earth made Sheriff Hemlock think that she would know anything about this sort of thieving? Sure, Red had stolen to feed herself before, and she'd stolen her kukris because the stupid fat bursar had refused to release Rathi's things to her. But she'd never stolen from the dead before. That was just sick.

    She didn't know what neck romancy was either. It probably wasn't what it sounded like, given the grim expressions on everyone else's faces. Oh dear.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-28 at 02:59 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    The halforc marshal shudders
    ---and scowls, saying, "Foul business, this lot.
    "I said yesterday the raid was
    A distraction. THIS is the primary target"

    Rico sighs and says, while kneeling
    "Frak it all. Who's bringing'th torches?"
    She takes two from an oilcloth packet
    ---and tosses a flintknocker
    "By yer leave, then, yer 'oliness."
    Unships her flail and nods for Vosk
    To lead them to the defiled tomb
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-02-28 at 10:38 PM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    GM post

    At a nod from Father Zantus, Vosk hobbles over to the Boneyard gate, fishing out of his tunic a key graven with the spiral motif of Pharasma. Although his movements as he unwinds the heavy chain from the gates are swift and smooth from years of performing the same task every day, those who look closer might realise that the man's hands are trembling slightly.

    The gate swings open easily at a light push from Vosk, creaking gently at its rust-flaked hinges. Vosk leads you all down a well-worn dirt path that meanders through sundry gravestones, some still bearing the mason's polish, others so crumbled that it is difficult to tell who lies beneath. Without exception though, every single grave shows signs of being well-maintained, the grass around their edges trimmed short and the leaves raked up in a pile near the gate. Vosk is clearly someone who takes pride in his work, dreary as the task of gravetending might seem.

    Rounding the first curve in the dirt path, Vosk comes to a halt and points at one of the stone vaults that line the outer wall of the Boneyard, right at the edge of the town. "That 'un there," he says stolidly. "Closest to us. It's the only vault in the Boneyard that we use to bury clergy."

    The vault that he points to is one of the larger structures in the Boneyard - a simple square edifice hewn from plain granite, topped with a cleverly wrought carving of the Lady of Graves bearing her hourglass. Things are much as Vosk described - the vault's heavy stone door clearly hangs ajar, with the ground all around it churned up with footprints, the grass flattened and a small flowering shrub by the vault door utterly crushed.

    DC 13 Perception
    :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upon closer examination, you can distinguish that many of the footprints have obviously been made by goblins - the claw marks and sandal-scuffs tell you that much. There is, however, one set of footprints that appears to have been made by something or someone much larger than a goblin...


    DC 13 Survival:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can distinguish that at least six goblins and one Medium humanoid scaled the Boneyard's outer wall, before approaching and entering the vault. The Medium humanoid was wearing soft-soled hunting boots or moccasins.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Sirus


    Sirus follows Vosk into the graveyward with measured steps, his hands as usual clasped in front of him, his path straight. He likes a man who takes pride in his work, whatever that is. Especially if it one most people consider dreary. Vosk has his respect. He notes the well maintained graves and paths. This means that Vosk is indeed telling the truth.

    When they arrive in the tomb, Sirus stops. He makes a quick warning motion, as if to say for everyone to be careful. He then proceeds, unless stooped, to meticulously walk around the tracks, indexing, listening, watching, even smelling. This goes on for several minutes.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Take 20 for 29 Perception. For the tracks, sounds, smells, EVERYTHING!

  21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Red

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 for both:
    10+6=16
    10+6=16


    Red gives Sirus an odd look before carefully stepping around him as he searches, doing her best to keep out of his way so that she won't disturb his strange careful examination of the place. Crouching to the ground by the wall, she frowns at the mess of footprints, especially at the larger set - Rico and Setsuna were probably right then: someone had done this on purpose. She couldn't think of any reason why on earth goblins would want to break into someone's tomb - it wasn't as though people in Varisia were in the habit of leaving food offerings at graves.

    And over the wall... Red bites her lip as she traces her fingers along the wooden palisade, noting the fresh dirt marks scoring the wood. She doesn't have to look - she's travelled the north part of the Lost Coast Road leading to Sandpoint often enough to know that beyond the Boneyard is nothing but open field and forest - the same forest that the goblins were racing into yesterday...

    "Rico..." Red turns to look for her friend, her voice troubled. "The prints... one of them isn't goblin. About seven of them - they climbed over the wall... came in. Went into the vault..." Her voice trails away as she finally cottons on to the horrific implications of what the others have been taking about for the past few minutes.

    The goblins weren't stealing from the dead. They'd probably stolen the dead.

    *****

    GM post

    For anyone who takes 20 on the Perception check:

    Spoiler
    Show
    The ground is a mess of footprints - the goblins and the longshank with them were clearly in a hurry. From what you can see, the prints lead in from the wall, into the vault, and out again. The ground is much too dry from summer for you tell with any certainty if they were carrying a heavy load out with them, or whether any of them were under any drug or magical influences. Those of you who do look around the wall, however, do find two shallow grooves gouged in the earth some distance away from the wall - the goblins had a ladder with them when they came, for sure. A look around the Boneyard or over the wall does not reveal any ladder though.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Rico follows close behind Vosk, giving the hunchbacked custodian an appreciative frowning nod.

    One nostril twitches as Sirus takes the lead and goes sniffing all about the scene like a silent bloodhound. Inwardly, the halforc marshal shrugs. Be my guest, if you care to be Mr Courage Spear-Fodder. Eh, I'm sure you're competent enough to go about that and come back in one piece.

    She grunts and crouches in the dust, flail shouldered. Wolvish ears prick forward, wide nostrils flaring, trained eyes squinting at the disturbed details.

    Once more, Rico reaches for her pack... and unships the crossbow and its quarrels, handing them to Mandraiv. In a low, harsh whisper, she addresses the motley crew of misfit heroes. "No issult meant, Ironballs, but here's a loan, just in case there's something inside that yer magick can't muck. Brother Vosk, izzit a correck assumption that isside'll be barely enough space for two people abreast, three if ye force it? And... thank you fer not disturbin' deh crime scene."

    She then grunts and continues, "Arright, ye sorry lot, lissennup. See the dust there? Sez wuz a dang load o' gobbos passin' through, in an' out, claws and sandals and that rubbish... as well as a human-sized frigger. Soft-soled hunter's boots. Ain't a frigg-lot we know of wot's inside, an' we can probberly assume goblins, assassins, undead and hell-frakkery."

    She nods gravely at Red and says, "Dassright. Friggers came with a ladder. Prepared. Knew wot they wanted an' wot they were doing."

    Rico frowns at Brother Vosk and asks, "Brother, no issult meant, but were there any valuables buried here as well as the hallowed dead? Reliquaries? Artifacts? Forbidden tomes? Keepsakes? Shinies? And... did Father Tobryn have any... enemies... from among the clergy? Anybody who could have borne him a grudge?"

    She then grinds her teeth and nods at the open crypt, saying to the others, "This ain't the plaza no more. Wotever happ's inside, we stick together. Keep frosty, don't panic. Formation of two-by-three. Red an' me up front ta take the brunt. Father Fox and Sirus second rank. Keep them torches and lights high fer those of us who're dark-blind... an' don't worry 'bout whackin' yer li'l mace fer now, fer now yer our holy hellhound. Ironballs, keep outta the way, but keep yer spellwork handy, thankee. Setsuna, keep with him, guard him, guard our rear, don't let us or him be assaulted from the rear. Sirus an' Setsuna, you two'd be our mobile reserve, ready to reinforce front or rear if need be."

    That said, Rico hefts kit and flail and shield once more, takes her place at the party's fore. She waits for IF Cipriano's light would be crackling merrily and for IF Red comes ready by her side, nods grimly and steps into the darkness...
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-03-01 at 10:42 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    North_Ranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Cipriano Verneti

    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 for Perception, and taking 10 for Survival 10+4=14

    0: Enhanced Diplomacy, Guidance, Detect Magic, Read Magic
    1: Summon Monster I, Shield of Faith, Bless
    Domain: Protection from Evil

    Channel Energy: IIIII


    Cipriano had remained quiet for an unusually long time, walking among the gravestones with his eyes lowered to pick up tracks and signs of intrusion. The idea of someone trespassing on hallowed ground and disturbing the eternal sleep of those buried within these sacred walls clearly disturbed him, and he kept swirling his mace in his hand by the leather strap around his wrist. Whirl and grab, whirl and grab, whirl and grab.

    "If they came with a ladder... then they were carryin' something heavy. Somethin' they couldn't carry over th' wall with ease. Question is... did they take somethin' from the graves?" the Caydenite finally spoke up, his face looking uncharacteristically stern. Or maybe it was the way Rico's gifted hat shaded his eyes. "Or did they bring somethin' with 'em?" The fact that the latter prospect disturbed the cleric errant much more than the former is accentuated by the way he slaps his mace against his gauntleted palm.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Knowledge (Religion) to remember some of the basic traits of undead creatures.

    (1d20+6)[19]


    "Be on your guard, my friends. Because if my fears are correct and there is necromancy in play here, we will be in dire trouble indeed. If you see th' undead, don't engage in melee unless you have t' or unless they are th' weaker kind of Urgathoa's misbegotten children - skeletons or zombies. More powerful beings can sap your strength with their fell touch. And if you must engage in melee, use weapons that crush an' maim. Th' unlivin' care little for piercing th' heart or slashing their kidneys out. And Mandraiv", he said, looking up at the Kaijitsu arcanist. "Do not waste spells tryin' to fool them with spells of command or misdirection. Phantasms and illusions do little t' persuade their eternal hunger."

    "Rico, Red... I have spells that can bolster your arms. But it would be wiser to save 'em for later. If things go wrong, I can summon Cayden's light that cures bodily harm. Th' undead are harmed by such divine power."

    "And if you see ghosts... run. Only magic can prevail against such beings."

    With that, Cipriano slipped his mace back in his belt and untied the holy symbol from his neck. Whispering a quick prayer to the Champion of Freedom he palmed the wooden symbol in his right hand and used his left to pick up one of Rico's lit torches. "Ready", he said, the combination of flickering flames, the new hat and the steeled gaze in his eyes making him looked uncharacteristically dangerous.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Magic towards the tomb.
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-03-01 at 01:32 PM.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

    Avatar courtesy of Elder Tsofu

    Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

  24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Setsuna

    Setsuna moves into position next to Mandraiv with one hand ready to draw her blade at a moment's notice and the other free to perform the somatic components of a spell as she speaks up, "I do not object to your plan, Rico-san, but would it not make more sense for me to be up front? I can see in the dark quite clearly, if the torches fail it will not affect me." That said, she begins to plan for how to best fight in enclosed quarters like the inside of a tomb, I'm no tracker, but she didn't say they left the vault, this may be more dangerous than the goblins from yesterday...

    Once we reach the tomb but before we head down into it, Setsuna speaks up, "I am not sure if this will reveal anything due to all of the stone, but I will look for any traces of magical energies."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgoing the Perception and Survival checks and trusting Sirus and Red to tell me what they find.

    Casting Detect Magic and keeping up concentration looking for any magical aura from the tomb, but especially necromantic ones.

    Perception for when we're actually going into the vault, since I think I'm the only one with Darkvision: (1d20-1)[3]

  25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    GM post


    Holding off moving action into the vault until everyone has had a chance to prepare themselves (i.e. everyone who wants to post has posted).

    Cipriano and Setsuna's Knowledge (religion) rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Undead can see in the dark quite well.
    • Undead are immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).
    • Undead are immune to bleed, death effects, disease, paralysis, poison, sleep effects, and stunning.
    • Undead do not take nonlethal damage, being already dead. They do not feel exhaustion and fatigue effects.
    • Most undead cannot heal damage on their own. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures.
    • Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
    • Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.
    • Oh. And some types of undead seem to take less damage unless you're hitting them with a blunt weapon...


    Vosk scratches his dry nose nervously. "No, constable. Ain't nothing of value in yonder vault... 'cept maybe the holy symbols. Made of silver or gold, some of them. But why would anyone steal those from in there?" He clenches his fist in indignation.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-03-01 at 11:50 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Rico scowls deeply and says to Vosk, "Love or money, Brother. Boil any criminal's motivation down and it's some derivative of love or money. But hella more dangerous are those perps who don't do it fer neither. Like ol' frigger Chopper, damn his hide."

    She nods at Cipriano and Setsuna and says, "Agreed. Tracks might've suggested that they raided, broke in, got something, got out... but ain't nuthin' sure. Better assume the worse an' be prepared than go in dandy an' come out as corpses. 'Strue, hellgirl, but remember, the rearguard is just as important, sometimes moreso, than the vanguard. Which do ye fear more, getting backstabbed or getting stabbed afront? Koff. And Mr Robes there also needs a bodyguard. Duly noted, Father Verneti. Stand ye ready to reinforce fore, aft an' amidships in our formation. An' aye, we'll keep frosty an' keep the hell-friggers offa yer arse as ye pray He Who Drinks'd piss 'em back inta the hellhole whence they spawnt."
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-03-01 at 12:32 PM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    GM post

    Detect Magic does not detect anything magical in the Boneyard or around the vault. The vault is made of stone thicker than 1 foot and blocks the spell from detecting for magic inside.


    Setsuna's Perception (Darkvision):
    Spoiler
    Show
    You cannot see anything moving inside the vault from where you are. All seems to be still.


    *****

    Red

    The ease with which the others decide to enter the vault surprises Red. Is nobody else worried about disturbing the rest of all of the other dead people? Slowly getting to her feet, she reluctantly pulls out her quarterstaff from where she's tied it to her pack, her mouth drawn tight in a thin line of unease.

    Red thinks of her mother - nothing but cold bones by now - lying mixed up with everyone else in a pauper's grave on the other side of Varisia. She thinks of Rathi, bound in cloth, curled up with the other monastics in a lonely little grass patch somewhere in the Malgorian mountain range. And for some reason she can't explain, she feels that even though they're doing all this to help the town, that it's still wrong - they shouldn't be stomping around the Boneyard like this. But it wasn't if though they had any other choice.

    She walks over to join the rest as they deliberate how best to enter the vault. "... Miss Setsuna?" Red moves to stand with Rico, glancing briefly at the tiefling, her voice low with concern. "Maybe you should... stay back. You're not... protected. Your sword may not work."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-03-01 at 01:14 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Setsuna Shield, 2 minutes

    Setsuna smiles lightly, touched at the concern in Red's voice she replies, "Thank you for the concern, Red-san, but I'm better protected than I look." She glances toward Rico for a moment, 'Hellgirl'? I may have fiendish blood, but I have no relationship to devils. She's got a point though, rearguard is important, before continuing "Despite my appearance, it is the blood of the rakshasa that flows through me, not of the hells' devils. I possess some of their natural defenses too, and since there are a few moments to prepare," she stops speaking and quickly chants a pair of spells, causing a faintly shimmering wall in the air directly in front of her for a moment before renewing her search for magical auras, "See? I have no need for heavy armors, they just slow me down. I am more concerned about the rest of you." Though I do hope this is all simply paranoia, if we must fight the undead I do not have the proper spell prepared...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells:
    0 - Detect Magic, Arcane Mark, Ray of Frost
    1 - Frostbite, Shield

    Arcane Pool IIII

  29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    Sirus

    Sirus does not partake in the discussion. He is ready whenever everyone else is ready. He will get a position in the front, if one is available. Otherwise, second rank will do. After all, he is well trained in combat movement.

    When the protective spell of Setsuna comes into being, Sirus for a split second gets an expression of longing.

    "This is what I will have available when my gift is repaired..."

  30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

    GM post

    "Be careful!" calls Vosk forlornly after you all as you move forward toward the vault, clutching his holy symbol and muttering a quick prayer to the Dawnflower.

    With a quick wrench and a heave, Rico easily pulls the stone doors open, allowing the rest of you access. The air inside the vault is stale and clammy and it makes you want to sneeze, but even from where you are, you can already smell the faint hint of goblin. The little buggers were definitely here, all right.

    For anyone with Detect Magic still on:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There appears to be a faint magical aura coming from the north-west and north-east corners of the vault.


    As you descend the steps into the vault, the light from the torches that Cipriano and Rico hold high spills into the room ahead, revealing more goblin footprints in the dust. The tracks of the 'human-sized frigger' are plain to see as well - they skirt around the goblin tracks and go up to one of the many sarcophagi built into the vault's west wall - a sarcophagus that quite definitely has its lid ajar. Judging from the dust tracks on the floor, it would seem that something heavy was dragged along the polished granite floor for a while before being carried out of the vault.

    That is as much as any of you get to see for now, however. In the darkness from the north wall of the vault comes the distinct whisper of bone scraping against bone.

    Those of you who whirl in the direction of the sound find yourselves staring into the empty eye sockets of three wolf skeletons as they shudder to life. Over in the north-west corner of the vault, just behind another statue of Pharasma, another skeleton rises up to take a human shape, bursting into red-orange flame, a chipped scimitar clenched in one bony fist.

    *****

    Initiative Rolls:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Party Intiative Rolls:
    Sirus: (1d20+4)[16]
    Cipriano: (1d20+2)[10]
    Setsuna: (1d20+4)[19]
    Red: (1d20+5)[15]
    Rico: (1d20+1)[16]
    Mandraiv: (1d20+6)[18]

    Undead Initiative Rolls:
    WS1: (1d20+7)[12]
    WS2: (1d20+7)[11]
    WS3: (1d20+7)[19]
    Burning Skeleton: (1d20+6)[16]


    Initiative Order:
    19 - Wolf Skeleton 3
    > 19 - Setsuna
    18 - Mandraiv
    16 - Burning Skeleton
    16 - Sirus
    16 - Rico
    15 - Red
    12 - Wolf Skeleton 1
    11 - Wolf Skeleton 2
    10 - Cipriano


    *****

    Wolf Skeleton 3:

    The first wolf skeleton to sense you merely turns its head in your direction, its long fangs gleaming in the fire light shed by the Burning Skeleton. It seems to be waiting for something...


    It is now Setsuna's turn.

    *****

    Battle Map:

    (Note that the grey things in A3 and F3 are statues of Pharasma. They are just battle obstacles. You can't pass through them or occupy the same square as them.)
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-03-02 at 08:51 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •