Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 26 of 74 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

While Hemlock speaks, Rico's pencil scratches
    Shaking her head, frowning at the old man's
    Misdeeds, then says, "I suspected as much,
    Chief. Sir, alright, lemme get this thing straight---
    ---Standing orders are to keep low profile,
    Keep up security for the Rusty
    And for Ameiko. Defeat and drive off
    But don't pursue any further attacks
    By marauders, goblin or otherwise.
    Help Shalelu, but only if she asks.
    Keep the peace and order. Prevent panic.
    If Lonjiku engages us again,
    Subdue by grappling, and not by striking."

Scratching an ear, she asks, "Technically
    Off-duty, but would I still have access
    To Wotch-issue armour, weapons and kit
    As well as file archives? And would I still
    Be required to turn in daily reports
    As standard to the desk officer here?"
    She then salutes and says, "Sir. Take care, sir.
    Do get some sleep when ye can, Capitan."
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"Not t' sound callous for your loss, Setsuna... but as far as goblins go, slaughterin' them wholesale would be like tryin' t' change th' course of th' wind by blowin' against it", Cipriano weighed in. "Damn things breed like maniacal rabbits, I hear."

"Besides, I think our main concern oughta be protectin' th' townspeople. If Miss Andosana does hear about an upcomin' raid against some outlying farm... that's different, an' you can count on me t' come an' help as much as I can."
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Sheriff Hemlock nods briefly at Rico. "Of course, you can keep your armour. You'll need them if anything goes wrong - hopefully, nothing will. No reports, but if you need anything from the office, just ask Nim or Vachedi if Hannah's not here to give an affirmative, and they'll get it for you."

"Got that right, boss," calls out Nim gaily from the other side of the office, where he has been shamelessly eavesdropping .

The Sheriff ignores Nim and returns Rico's salute. "Stay safe, Rico. Don't let Miss Allin get into any more trouble."

Red

Completely stunned by the lack of reprisal from the Sheriff, Red can only blink and nod eagerly when told to not punch people next time, hardly able to believe her luck. No jail! She could still work with Rico! And Sheriff Hemlock was being... less sarcastic than normal? Goodness. She would have to drink a whole ale in offering to the Lucky Drunk later on.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

At first the tiefling doesn't respond to either Mandraiv or Cipriano, but then smiles lightly and shakes her head, "Do not worry Fox-san, the event no longer bothers me much, and perhaps you are right, Kaijitsu-san. And maybe trying to eradicate the goblins is an impossible task, but how can we know something is impossible unless someone is willing to risk failure to try?"

Nodding at Cipriano, It's probably for the best that not everyone goes anyway. If I do go, should I fail, the fewer people who are with me the better it is for the town. Turning back to Shalelu, she asks "What can you tell us about the tribes? Why are they laired so close to Sandpoint? Do they have any alliances with larger or more dangerous creatures, or are they on their own? What of their enemies?"
    Last edited by Desril; 2013-04-17 at 02:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

Good bleeding gods! No paperwork! Iyyyy-Aaaaaah!
    ...wait. Huh!
    Mind a-whirl, Rico slips in a
    Last whispered question, "Sir, just making sure---
    ---Shalelu is now crossed off the suspect
    Shortlist? With all former clearance and trust?
    Or are we still to be
    Arm around the shoulders, Rico ushers Red out,
    With parting wave at Nim, then smirks widely
    At Ms Allin, clearly dumbstruck
    And says, "Told ye, yer clear!"
    Swaggers into the ol' Rusty,
    Locks eyes with Cipriano and Sirus
    Says levelly, her voice clearly contrite, "Right, y'all.
    Ahem. Sorry. I may've been a bit
    Disappointed but, I should not
    Have lost my temper and
    Hit ye friggers, nor said
    Wot I said. Um. Sorry."

Descending into a silence
    She cuts the quietude with Shalelu
    "KOFF. Eaten yet?"

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

"I'm not ruling out Shalelu just yet. Be wary. There aren't that many elf-bloods around who speak Goblin. And yet I feel that we may be relying too much on Miss Setsuna's vision... the goblin may have played us false. Or Miss Setsuna may have added something to what she saw..."

Sheriff Hemlock sighs and waves Rico and Red both out.

Shalelu looks gravely at each of you in turn as you speak, frowning and seemingly deep in thought, toying with the eagle feathers in her hair.

"Be careful of your anger, Miss Setsuna," she says at last, steepling her hands on the table. "Hate is like a fire that can keep you alive when the world is cold, but it can also burn out of control and consume you from within. Slaying every goblin in the world will not change what has been - I know this lesson better than no one else."

"That said, I think I will pay your goblin prisoners a little visit. According to Belor, they seem to be rather unwilling to talk. Perhaps I can change that..." Shalelu says this quietly, almost sadly, glancing at the bow by her side with a wistful expression.

"The goblins were here before Sandpoint came to be, when the city was still a Varisian settlement. Other than the bugbear ranger Bruthazmus, they have no other allies that I know of, though if there is someone controlling their movements, even that may have changed. As for enemies... well, there's me." Shalelu cracks a grin that doesn't reach her eyes, her smile more self-deprecating than anything else.

"Incidentally, you didn't manage to capture any goblin leaders among your prisoners, did you? Didn't see any exceptionally large ones or any wearing extra ornaments? Hello, Constable Rico, I have eaten, thank you." The elf glances at Rico and Red as they enter.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

Cipriano was actually surprised about Rico's unexpected apology, at least judging by the way he looked at her. "Uh... It's okay, Rico", he managed to say before his smile crept back on his lips. "It's alright, really. An' sorry for my part, too... didn't mean t' blabber." To make his point clear, he signaled to Bertana to bring ales for Rico and Red, too. After all, he had promised that the first drinks were on him...

"As for th' goblins... no, I don't recall us takin' any particularly large ones captive. There were some... obvious commanders, though. One that kept singin', even more than th' others. And one ridin' some manner of a rat-dog creature, like some twisted knight. But I think we killed both o' those. If th' others managed t' take such high-rankin' prisoners... I dunno. Th' sheriff probably does, though"

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

"Warchanters and commandos," says Shalelu promptly. "They're stronger than the rest for their talents, but they aren't the leaders... You didn't see any with a crown? None large enough to be mistaken for hobgoblins?"

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #759
    Troll in the Playground

Rico nods her acknowledgement of Shalelu, then at Cipriano. As a sign of sincerity, she grabs the first flagon when it comes, and drains the lot in one long gulp.

Plonking the vessel loudly down onto the tabletop, she nods agreement wit the Caydenite's statement, then shakes her head at Shalelu, saying, "Nope. No Gob-Nobs."

Wiping her mouth with her sleeve, Rico meets Cipriano's eyes ever her arm. Her nostrils are flared, her eyes narrowed, but enough for him to discern her glance jerking towards the stairwell. Twice. Thrice...

...then her arm finishes wiping her mouth and she belches. Once more, she looks at him and nods almost gravely, then grabs another three flagons with a thankful bark at Bethana, sliding one apiece to Red and to Cipriano, then herself sipping from the third.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Red accepts the ale, sniffs experimentally at its fruity aroma, then downs about half the flagon in one go, giving silent thanks to Cayden Cailean for her luck at the Garrison. Usually after she punched someone in a bar, she landed in jail pretty quickly soon after. This... this was a first.

She takes another sip of her drink, craning her neck to peer around the table. Having more than just Rico for company... that was a first too. Maybe this is what it was like to have more than two friends at the same time.

GM post

"Hm. No important prisoners then? I was wondering if the tribes would have at least sent their strongest champions to this raid... apparently not. Which means they're still out there." Shalelu nods sagely in response to Rico and explains. "There's a couple of notoriously strong goblins out there you'd want to keep note of. The one large enough to be mistaken for a hobgoblin? That's the one they call 'Big Gugmut' in their own tongue - he's from the Mosswood tribe and I'd have half-expected to find him in your cells. Then there's the chief of the Thistletop tribe, Ripnugget. Fancies himself a knight of sorts and goes about on this giant lizard he's tamed. Nasty piece of work, that one - he's much smarter than the average goblin. I wouldn't be surprised to find him at the bottom of all this either."

At this point, one of Ameiko's other halfling maids comes up and passes Sirus a sealed envelope. "Sir, this is for you. A gentleman in a blue riding coat said to make sure you got it."

If Sirus opens the envelope...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master Scarletti:

I am terribly sorry that I had to depart from Sandpoint without the chance to bid you farewell and to thank you, once again, for saving my life - in more ways than one. You have given me new hope and I hope to become stronger myself, in the hope that I may one day be half the man you are. If you are ever in the Bleaklow Moor region or in Magnimar and find yourself in need, know that my houses and lands, such as they are, are always open to you.

Aldern Foxglove
    The letter is written in a dashing cursive on thick paper and smells faintly of new leather.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Taking in everything Shalelu said about the goblins, Setsuna has a vacantly cheery look while contemplating various courses of action. I know of a few spells that might be able to quickly get rid of them, but can I afford scrolls to utilize them? Would a town like this have an accomplished enough mage to create the proper scrolls?

As Sirus is handed the letter, Setsuna briefly wonders who sent it, quickly settling on Aldern Foxglove as being the most likely candidate, and turns to ask Shalelu about her patrols. "You said you were going on patrol later this evening, how far from Sandpoint do you go? Is there anything we can do to help?"

Almost as an afterthought, she asks the entire table, "Is anyone aware of who the most accomplished spellcaster in Sandpoint is? I have an idea and need to purchase a few scrolls of some potency." It might help if I had gold to spend. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus sits and watches his comrades talk, drink, enjoy each other 's company. His hands are relaxed on the table, his tea has gotten cold and his gaze is not exactly focused, nor unfocused. Sirus just sits there.

The letter got him by surprise. He had known that the young nobleman was impressed, but this was rather excessive. In any case, it was a strange feeling.

"Last month, I was running from my own life. Last month, I had to fake my own death, more or less. Last month, I was ...solidary.

Strange. In the last few days, I have been felt more companionship than in my last five years. And still, I don't know why I was sent here. Have I lost my way?

No. This I know. Perhaps the opposite. Perhaps... this is me finding my way. Finding ...me. Is Lady Desna the Mistress of the Paths? Perhaps this is what I was sent here to find. My path."

Sirus almost frowns with that idea. He knew who he was. He knew who he had been. But did he know who he could become? He can hurt. He can cause pain and take it. He can give...fear. But for what end?

Pharasma waits for all. But perhaps Sirus is on the way to do something in between. This bears thinking.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

"As far as I need to... I'll be travelling light and as fast as I can, so as not to be noticed. Were you thinking of going?"

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Setsuna nods in response, "Given the recent attack, it may be dangerous for you to go alone, and I need to understand the area here better. I was also hoping I might learn from your example or at least provide an extra pair of eyes."

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Shalelu laughs, but not in an unkind way. "I do dirty work, young one," she says gently. "Moreover, I am used to working alone. You would better help the town by holding your post and keeping Sandpoint safe."

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

Rico sips at her ale, glancing worriedly
    At Setsuna's overeagerness
    Nods simply and
    Answers her,
    "Turandarok Academy.
    'Tis just down the street.
    We can visit there later, if ye want."

Once more, gravely nods
    "Arrowqueen 'ere
    DOES 'ave an
    'Ead on 'er shoulders.
    Besides, them's stannin' orders
    From El Capitan. We stay. Guard Sandpoint.
    Keep the peace... an' keep a certain dang frigger..."

She then deliberately points with her chin
    Towards the... bloodstain on the floor
    And continues, "Out. Of. Here."
    Rico then sets the flagon down,
    And then coughs
    And stands
    Saying,
    "Um, 'scuse me.
    Gotta take a leak."

But as she leaves the table,
    Accidentally
    Scuffs
    Cipriano's
    Shoulder, then clears her throat
    And says over her shoulder, "Koff. Sorreh 'bout that."

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Red finishes the rest of her drink in one go and raises at eyebrow at the foamy bottom of the flagon. Maybe she should ask for another one. Or not. It was funny how Rico had to announce that she was going to pee. It made her sound like an old bucket.

She glances across the table at Sirus and his envelope, wondering who had sent it. Maybe someone had a crush on him - why else did people send letters through the servants?

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Once you are done with your drinks, you all accompany Shalelu back to the watch Garrison to see if she can get anything more out the goblin prisoners. Sheriff Hemlock has already left by the time you all arrive, but Hannah, as the most senior of the Watch left in charge, has no objections to the elf having a word or two with the goblins - provided that Vachedi and Halast are around at the time to supervise her and make sure the goblins don't get out of hand.

While you wait for Shalelu to finish her interrogation, some of you decide to take Setsuna up on her suggestion to spar and head to the Garrison's training yard - a dusty affair that is quite abandoned at this time of day thanks to the rest of the Watch being out and about. Setsuna valiantly manages to hold her own against Cipriano and Red, but is quickly flattened by Rico once the half-orcess steps up to have a turn. At the end of the day, it is still Rico who manages to dominate, despite Red's accusations that Rico has been drinking too much chocolate...

As you all tidy up and enjoy a cool pitcher of water, a grim-faced Shalelu, her hair slightly tousled, emerges from the Garrison, followed by Vachedi. The more observant of you might note that there seems to be fresh goblin blood on Shalelu's wristguards.

"Ah, there you are." The elf stretches her arms above her head, clearly enjoying the feel of sunlight on her face after the t past two hours in the musty cells. "I was wondering if you'd all gotten bored and left. Well, it turns out that Belor was slightly mistaken... True, some of that lot down below were wearing the tribal markings of the others. But you've only got prisoners from the Mosswood and Thistletop tribes down there. I got one of them to confess that it was all Warchief Ripnugget's idea to put on foreign armour... I guess that changes things a little, huh?" Shalelu smirks mirthlessly and pats her longbow, shaking her head. "So it might not be a regional attack after all, but that certainly explains the recent boldness of those two tribes. Guess I'll have to concentrate my searching around their territory."

"Squeaky buggers," agrees Vachedi in a grumbling voice, folding his arms across his chest. "Th'sooner they dead, th'better fer all of us."

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus nods at Shalelu 's findings, one interrogator to the other.

"Thank you. Ms. Shalelu. These are. Valuable findings. Was there. Anything. About the. Longshank. Instigator?"

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

"Oh yes. Apparently, he - it's a he - speaks fluent Goblin and plays the flute. They were full of blabber about what a nice decent pointy-eared longshank he was, unlike me. Willing to speak nicely to the goblins instead of hurting them like nasty Shalelu. The best part? They don't even know his name. So much for being nice, eh." Shalelu rolls her eyes.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Still recovering from being knocked senseless by Rico, Setsuna takes a moment to process what Shalelu found out. So only two of the tribes nearby are involved. That will make them easier to handle, but do we deal with the Mosswood tribe first, or go straight for this 'Ripnugget' and see if it has any information on the elf behind the attack?

"If only two of the tribes had a hand in this attack, then why not take the fight to them? I am certain that we can defeat any number of goblins. We could stamp out the Mosswood tribe and then move north to get rid of the Thistletop ones as well. Even if it leaves us drained and unable to eliminate the remaining tribes, it would send them a clear message to never attempt something like this again."

She looks at her companions and then to Shalelu, "Even if we can not find out who organized this attack, we can disarm him by destroying his weapons, and now we do not need to worry about mistakenly provoking a union from the other tribes."

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Shalelu twitches her ears, oddly amused by Setsuna's bloodthirst. "Do not forget, young one. I have narrowed it down to two tribes, but we still know nothing of their longshank ally. I am not ruling out the possibility that this pointy-ear they talk of is a disgruntled elf-blood from beyond our borders. Or a drow. If drow are involved, that's not two goblin tribes we're talking about. That's a whole underground nation as well. And what if this longshank is not the prime instigator? All this bears much more investigating. You would be wise to wait until we have uncovered more. Though when all this is over, if you wish to join me in some of my patrols when I am near Sandpoint, you would be very welcome to."

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Setsuna replies with a disappointed nod, "I had not considered a drow, that would make the situation even more complicated."

The tiefling pauses to think for a few moments, I'll wait until the sheriff gets back. If the goblins haven't been stopped by then I'll do it myself, alone if need be. Hopefully I can capture whoever is behind this, but at the very least I'll get rid of the goblins.

Confidant in her plan, she crosses her arms and wraps her tail around her waist, "If I am still in Sandpoint once this is over, I will take you up on that offer."

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

Before leaving for the Garrison, Cipriano had finished his drink in one swig and excused himself. Something about having to get something from his room...

The relative calm of the day so far made him perhaps a little too bold for his own good when it was time to duel. Father Alessandru would have scolded him for summoning a celestial hound when there was real fighting to be done in the future, but such concerns were lost in the heat of the moment. Only afterwards did he start to reconsider such frivolous use of magic.

Shalelu's mention of the drow, however... that was something that made the young priest jump. "The... drow? You mean, dark elves? As in real, flesh-an'-blood dark elves? I always thought them t' be nothin' more than campfire tales."

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

"Why yes, I do mean actual dark elves. I've not heard of them venturing this far west before, but there's a first time for everything. Including an elf-blood working together with goblins," replies Shalelu with utmost seriousness. "Odd that those prisoners mentioned a flute. It's hardly a drowish choice of instrument."

Red

Still enjoying the elevated view from Rico's back, Red shifts her weight and looks down at where Setsuna is.

"... Miss Setsuna? You mean to... leave?"

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Turning to face Red, she answers her friend's question, "Not right away, but I can not stay in Sandpoint forever. I am journeying to Absalom, but there is no rush so I will at least stay for some time. At least until the current issue has been dealt with." With a smile she finishes, "If any of you wished to join me, you would be welcome to. The few days we have spent together has been more enjoyable than the bulk of the last two years."

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Absalom... the city at the centre of the world. Her brother, Thom, had been there before - before he'd given up sailoring to serve the Lucky Drunk. It was a really long way off.

"...Only... if Rico comes along. To scare the pirates. And... eat the food." Red pokes Rico's shoulder in jest.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

Cipriano's bruised brow turned into a slight frown at the mention of a flute. He looked at the elf closely, trying to discern if she was being honest or trying to pull a fast one on them. He had almost asked Rico if she knew any local flute-players, but he had remembered what she had said about Shalelu. Probably best to err on the side of caution here...

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+8)[10]

The mention of Absalom, however, caught his attention right away. Hells, it even brought a smile to his lips.

"You can rely on me handlin' th' drinks, then", he chuckled to Red. "Cayden's not too strict on things, but I think a good ol'-fashioned pilgrimage wouldn't hurt when it's time for me t' face th' music. At least, as far as th' gorge aroun' th' Cathedral o' th' Starstone permits. I'll leave it t' others t' try an' be gods."

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Setsuna silently chuckles at Cipriano's refusal to take the Test himself. "Well, I am certain you will have time to convince Rico-san to go. Losing my match to her today makes me think that I need more training before I am ready to attempt the Test of the Starstone, so I may remain near Sandpoint for a while after we put an end to this goblin problem."

"This was fun. I want to spar with you all again some time,"
    she looks over to Rico with a grin and cheerful, enthusiastic look in her eye, "And next time, I will defeat you."

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Cipriano's Sense Motive

Spoiler
    Show
    As far as you can tell, Shalelu is utterly serious and telling the truth.

Red

Red narrows her eyes in disbelief when Setsuna mentions the Test of the Starstone. Setsuna wished... to become a goddess? True, she seemed to have a good heart. But she... hated goblins so much it was scary. Rico had just pummelled her good. And she didn't know how to mind her own business. If Setsuna didn't see anything wrong with peeking into someone else's head when she was still mortal, then what would happen if she was powerful enough to actually blow open someone's head?

...If Setsuna ever passed the Test of the Starstone, she was going to make one scary goddess.

Sighing quietly to herself, Red says nothing and merely rests her forehead on Rico's broad back. Rico was solid and comforting. If she ever became a goddess, at least Red wouldn't have to worry about Rico prying into her past.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show