Grating, whining
    Of bloodthirsty
    Mechanism,

"GIT TO DAH ODDAH SIDHE! CAN"T--- HOLD---!"

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+7)[20]
    (1d8+7)[12]
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-11-06 at 01:46 PM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

2. - Top - End - #2012
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

Setsuna
    HP 21/22
    AC 26
    (Shield)

Being caught off guard by Sirus' sudden attack and the springing of the scythe that nearly took off his and Red's heads, it takes Setsuna a moment to prepare herself for the rapid start of combat.

Before she has a chance to charge in however, their newest companion steps up. That's going to make this more difficult. "I will buy time, help Sirus-san!"

I guess I need to use it now, or Sirus-san might not get a chance to get out of that hole!
    With a single thought, Setsuna's torso bursts into fire as transient flames devour her sarashi. Running past Red, Rico, and Taladron, she utilizes her off hand to make arcane gestures while uttering an incantation in the tongue of magic. Reaching the doorway, the magus leaps off the edge of the pit, launching herself at the bugbear with a shout as an invisible shield forms between her and Bruthazmus. Landing with a flash of steel and a downward stroke of Maethilur, one intended to push the bugbear back with a show of force more than maim him. Narrowly missing the top of the door frame in the process, she brings the katana into a more defensive stance as she lands, challenging the brute and ignoring the pit. "Sorry that my friend was so aggressive, I would have preferred to do this without fighting."

Spoiler
    Show

Spell Combat -> Shield
    Burning the sarashi for the movement action
    Finishing Spell Combat with the attack

Acrobatics (1d20+7)[13]
    Attack (1d20+8)[28] (-2, but it was a nat 20, so who cares)
    Damage (1d8+5)[7]

Last edited by Desril; 2013-11-06 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Didn't flow well, reduced dialogue, edited flavor

3. - Top - End - #2013
    Ogre in the Playground

Quickly obeying Rico's orders, Cipriano makes his way to the precariously thin ledge on the other side of the jammed mechanism. In his heavy armor he had a snowball's chance in the Hells to make the jump across as the ever-nimble (and once again half-naked) Setsuna had done, but at the very least he could help Sirus. Pulling out a coil of rope from his backpack, he throws the length of it down into the pit.

"Sirus! Grab hold!" he calls out.

Spoiler
    Show
    If there's no room... try the stupidly dangerous jump into the corridor, with buckler stowed on his back. (1d20-2)[10]
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

4. - Top - End - #2014
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Rico uses the +1 longsword to jam the trap!

Bruthazmus and Setsuna

"Woah, woah!"

Of all the things that could have come flying his way, Bruthazmus wasn't expecting a half naked tiefling, and his tiny eyes go wide with alarm. Having lingered too long at the edge of the pit to jeer at Sirus, he ends up retreating several steps down the corridor, but not fast enough to avoid Setsuna's landing assault.

"Eyyyyyy." The bugbear sighs and looks down at the blood welling up on his chest, puffing out his cheeks good-naturedly before calling out, almost as an after-thought. "Hey, Lyrie, this the tiefling you yabbered last time about?"

Sirus holds rope climbing action.

Cipriano throws down a rope. Sirus climbs out of the pit. Yay!

Lyrie and ?

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Daze, moving away.

Will Save: (1d20+2)[3] - failed

"Ye-es. Yes, it is." A thin, malicious smile creeps over Lyrie's face, just before she snaps her fingers and mutters a short incantation.

Immediately, it is as though the world has suddenly slowed for Setsuna, everything sliding out of balance, the thoughts moving through her brain with glacial slowness, as though someone has stuffed the inside of her skull with cotton wool. Through the mind fog, you sense Lyrie stooping, watching you with the same interest that someone might idly watch a worm crawl. With the various mirror images of her floating around, the effect is frankly quite disconcerting.

"She's been waiting for you, tiefling. For one in whose veins run tainted blood. For one who knows what it means to be different... Her instructions were to let you pass and to kill the others, but frankly, I don't trust you and I don't see why I should get me throat cut because Nualia's taken a fancy to someone she's never met. Come find her yourself then, if you dare. I'll let her know you're here."

With that, the multiple Lyries turn on their heels and leave the room through another door. They are followed by a tall, hard-bitten man in armour, whose gaze lingers on Setsuna before he scowls and spits on the ground, muttering 'tiefling witch' under his rum-soaked breath as he stomps out after Lyrie.

Setsuna is dazed for 1 round.

Lyrie and ? have left combat. Unless someone chases them down or something.

Red

Spoiler
    Show
    Using the banked 3 for Perception to find the trap again - failed

Using the banked 8 for Aid Another to Rico to keep the trap jammed - barely passed

"Rico..." Her friend's presence is more comforting than words can say and immediately shakes Red out of her stupor. Casting her eyes up and down the frame, Red sees the wires but not where they lead. Touching the wires wouldn't work - she'd have to destroy the whole door. But not like this...

Clapping her hands over Rico's, Red grunts and uses all her might to keep the sword wedged tight, praying to the Lucky Drunk that nothing would snap and send little blade bits flying everywhere.

"Go!" She shouts to the rest.

Initiative
    20 - Lyrie
    19 - ?
    17 - Red
    > 17 - Taladron
    17 - Rico
    16 - Bruthazmus
    13 - Setsuna
    7 - Cipriano
    10 - Sirus

It is now Taladron's turn.

Battle Map
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-11-07 at 02:17 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

5. - Top - End - #2015
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus, hurt and climbing, sees the exchange between Lyrie and Setsuna. He growls.

"Do. Not. Go! It. Can. Be. A trap! Wait!"

As he climbs, he surveys the scene.

"That. Has not. Been. Good."

6. - Top - End - #2016
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Taladron (GM-botted) is holding an action until it is possible to cross the pit.

Rico (GM-botted with Nexus's instructions)
    HP: 29/29
    AC 19

Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics check: (1d20+2)[13] - failed
    Falling Damage: (1d6)[4]

Double move - jump into pit, stand up from prone

Rico lets go of the sword, leaving it trembling precariously from the strain of blocking the blade trap from resetting. Taking a deep breath, she does her best to carefully slide her way into the pit, only to lose her footing on the sloping edges and careen to the bottom in a cloud of grey dust.

Grunting loudly as she slaps her breeches, Rico scrambles to her feet, ignoring the scrapes and bruises that she has sustained on the way down. She raises her makeshift shield - the darkwood table - high, propping it up with both hands, and shouts to the rest to use it to help them get across.

"HURRY! Afore th'frakker get away!"

Rico is now in the pit. Those wishing to cross the pit can now make two Acrobatics DC 5 rolls instead of one DC 10 roll.

Bruthazmus

Spoiler
    Show
    Disarm: (1d20+7)[20]

Will Save vs Black Blade Ego DC 5: (1d20+2)[16] - passed

"Bye for now," says Bruthazmus cheerfully, waggling his pudgy digits at Setsuna as he turns to go. Then, catching sight of Setsuna's black blade, he pauses, greed glistening in his undersized black eyes.

"Hm. Yer won't be needing this now, will yer? I'd take care of it for yer." Reaching down, the bugbear plucks Maethilur from Setsuna's grasp before lumbering on after Lyrie, completely unfazed by the sudden fizzle of magical energy from the katana handle. "Heh. Tickles. Catch yer later then, little devil girl."

Initiative
    20 - Lyrie
    19 - ?
    17 - Red
    17 - Taladron - holding move
    17 - Rico
    16 - Bruthazmus
    > 13 - Setsuna
    7 - Cipriano
    10 - Sirus

It is now Setsuna's turn.

Battle Map
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-11-08 at 04:06 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #2017
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna (Dazed)
    HP 21/22
    AC 26

Not quite able to grasp the situation as Lyrie's words slowly stroll through Setsuna's mind, the tiefling fails to notice the bugbear's theft of her sword until he's already started sauntering off. Hey, get back here...that's mine...

As Bruthazmus rounds the corner, Setsuna shakes her head violently, bringing her hand to the bridge of her nose as her mind clears from its daze and suddenly everything that just happened registers with her properly.

Spoiler
    Show

Dazed this round, so I can't act until the next. Rico, SMASH!

8. - Top - End - #2018
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics roled in the OOC.

"Hold on, Setsuna! I'm commmooohDAMMIT!" Cipriano started when he noticed Setsuna teetering, but the moment he tried to take the leap across the pit, his footing failed. Falling into the pit, as if replacing Sirus, the young Magnimarian crashed heavily on his back.

"I'm okay...", he managed to call out from the bottom, his borrowed hat comically drifting down on top of him.

9. - Top - End - #2019
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus quickly uncorks the potion he has kept in his belt all these days. With a quick motion, he gulps it down and frowns a bit as the wounds seal beneath his tunic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics (1d20+9)[18]

With quick motions, he crosses to the other side, just in time to hear Fox falling behind him. With Rico also in the pit, there was no way he could leave them both there. But he also had to pursue the fleeing hobgoblin.

The decision is not hard to make. Sirus, barely touching the flour, runs after the hobgoblin with unearthly speed.

"Leaving. So soon?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If B. attacks, which I guess he will, then Sirus will use his Redirection ability: As an immediate action, trip attack and DC 15 Reflex or B is sickened for one round. If B charges or uses PA, +2 cumulative to DC.
    Trip attack [roll]1d20+14[/roll]
    Vicious stomp [roll]1d20+6[/roll] dmg [roll]1d6+4[/roll]

10. - Top - End - #2020
    Troll in the Playground

"Hey, wha---?"
    Comes Rico's moment
    Of panicked puzzlement
    As Cipriano's feet are lost
    And he goes tumbling, crashing
    Sighs a sigh she knew not she'd held
    When he stands once again, though wobbly

Groaning, Rico growls,
    Pats the table's broad face
    Calls up and out to Taladron,
    "Hoy! Geddacross arready! Get across!"

11. - Top - End - #2021
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Setsuna is dazed... but not for much longer.

Cipriano falls into the pit. He takes (1d6)[4] falling damage.

Sirus and Lyrie and ?

Spoiler
    Show
    Sirus's rolls from the OOC
    Trip attack (1d20+14)[15] - failed
    Vicious stomp (1d20+6)[18] dmg (1d6+4)[9] - missed

? is readying an action

Dashing after the bugbear, Sirus sees him toddling through a stone door that leads to a staircase and launches himself forward with a supreme effort in an attempt to sweep the blighter's legs out from under him.

Alas, for one so porcine, Bruthasmus is suprisingly nimble and skips lightly out of the way, sticking a yellow-coated tongue out at Sirus. "Yep. I'm leavin'. Yer got an army to stop me with?"

From further down the stairwell, Sirus catches a glimpse of the surly mercenary from earlier on, the narrow space echoing with the whisper of solid steel as he draws a gleaming bastard sword from his side. "C'mon, Big Bru," he mutters irritably. "Hurry up. I'll cover ya."

Lyrie has left the level and is no longer in combat.

? is readying a move.

Red
    HP: 27/28
    AC 17

Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics checks: (1d20+2)[6], (1d20+2)[10] - passed

Attack: (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[4]

Releasing her hold on the wobbling trap, Red spins and takes the leap to Rico's shield. She lands poorly, nearly skidding off the edge, then takes another scrambling leap that takes her over Setsuna's head.

Sparing a worried glance at Setsuna - why was she looking like someone who was going to be sick? - Red catches sight of Sirus and Bruthazmus at the end of the corridor and immediately races down to catch them. Haste makes her aim poor, however, and Red hacks down only on empty air instead of the bugbear's arm.

Taladron (GM-botted) and Bruthazmus

Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics checks: (1d20+2)[6], (1d20+2)[11] - passed

Casting Grease

Reflex save: (1d20+8)[22] - passed, Bruthazmus does not drop the katana

Tiptoeing past the rigged door as the blades gnash against each other, Taladron gingerly jumps onto the half-orcess's table and then to the other corridor.

Doing his best to avoid staring at the half-naked tiefling, Taladron rapidly considers his options as he eyes the ineffectual attempts of the others to halt the bugbear. Casting the spell to make the pit had been a mistake - he would not make that mistake again. He dips his hand into his component pouch once more and whispers under his breath, his elven green eyes momentarily glowing the colour of hard jade.

Over on the other side of the battlefield, it suddenly seems to Bruthazmus that the pretty black Minkaian sword that he picked up suddenly got a whole lot more difficult to hold on to. Damn his sweaty paws. He curses softly under his rancid breath and glares down at the lean half-orc and the titchy human female who have chosen to harry him. Was he afraid of them after all? Surely not?

Keeping his grip on the katana, he huffs and stomps once on the ground - just for emphasis. "I ain't scared of yer none! Just so yer knows! 'm followin' my instructions, I am!" He shouts aloud to nobody in particular as he backs into the stairwell. "Keep 'um busy, will yer, Orik?"

"Aye, I will. Tis' what 'm paid fer." The hard-bitten mercenary barely blinks as Bruthazmus lumbers past him, chewing something in his mouth and looking sternly up into the stairwall, daring any of you to follow the bugbear in.

Bruthazmus has left combat. If anyone pushes past Orik to get to him, I'll bring up the map for the next level.

Rico is still holding up the table.

Initiative
    19 - Orik (aka ? the mercenary)
    17 - Red
    17 - Taladron
    17 - Rico
    > 13 - Setsuna
    7 - Cipriano
    10 - Sirus

It is now Setsuna's turn.

Battle Map
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-11-08 at 01:02 PM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #2022
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus looks at the mercenary. His face is deadpan, totally emotionless.

"Move away. Or die."

Spoiler
    Show
    When his turns comes, Sirus will engage the mercenary, if he is still holding the door. I will post accordingly then.

13. - Top - End - #2023
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna
    AC 26
    HP 21/22

Clearing her head from the magically induced daze she was in, Setsuna's mind finally connects the dots as the human, Orik, holds up his sword in challenge to anyone who tries to reach the stairs. Immediately regretting the use of her sarashi, the bladeless-bladebound tries to figure out what to do without her companion of two years and lingers in the same spot for a few brief moments.

Seeing the bugbear disappear around the corner with Maethilur however is enough to drive Setsuna to action. Roaring out after Bruthazmus, "Give her back!" the topless tiefling gives chase, dashing past Taladron, not noticing the semi-embarrassed look on the wizard as she passes him and then between Sirus and Red, . Upon drawing closer to Orik, she doesn't spare him a breath, only devoting enough thought to the mercenary to feint going to his right and exploit her own nimble nature to swiftly shift her momentum, twirling evasively to leap past his opposite flank. No longer blocked off by traps or foes, Setsuna runs down the stairs chasing after the thieving bugbear, trusting her companions to be able to take care of themselves until they caught up.

Spoiler
    Show

Double move to get to Orik and then to get past him and down the stairs.

Acrobatics to move through Orik's square and get to the stairs (1d20+7)[27]

14. - Top - End - #2024
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano

HP 15/19

Note t' self, Cipriano cursed inside his head as he climbed back on his two feet. Get coin, buy lighter magic armor, he finished the thought and picked up his blade and hat. Holding the former and donning the later, he tried to forget thge pain in his back from landing badly and looked at Rico.

"Care t' give me a boost, love?" he asked with a smile, hoping that the protective half-orcess hadn't worried too badly about him taking a full-armor tumble like that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move: get up on his feet, and if Rico lowers the shield enough for Chippy to easily climb on, get out of the pit.

15. - Top - End - #2025
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Seeing that the mercenary showed no intention to move over, Sirus just nods.

"You. Have been. Warned."

And with that he launches at explosive action. He runs near the mercenary and as the inevitable swing comes, he spins around it and delivers a kick at the knee. At the same movement, he throws the mercenary, regaining his balance as he does.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well. FoB with trip and Vicious Stomp.
    First attack
    (1d20+12)[18]
    If succesfull
    Vicious Stomp (1d20+6)[13] dmg (1d6+4)[8]

If not succesfull, second trip attack
    (1d20+12)[19]
    If succesfull
    Vicious Stomp (1d20+6)[11] dmg (1d6+4)[7]

If the first trip attempt was succesfull, use the second Vicious Stomp roll at +2 (because -2 for FoB and +4 from prone) for attack.

EDIT: Mediocre rolls. If the trip succeeds, it will be marginal. By my calculations, a 10 would have sufficed. Oh well.

16. - Top - End - #2026
    Troll in the Playground

"Sure yer arright?"

No foe to pounce and grapple
    With dagger thrust
    Into armpit
    Or eyeslit,
    Confident
    In life beyond
    But jarring and bruising

Rico kneels
    For a moment considers
    Simply seizing him and hurling him
    But Rico rather helps
    Cipriano to his feet
    And then she holds
    Fingers together
    Makes a stirrup
    For his climb
    Out of the
    Pit

"Quuuuiiiiiickly."

Once he's up and out
    Rico hauls up as well
    Her tableshield
    And hands it
    To him over
    The pit's
    Edge

Wasting no further breath,
    Rico takes out her axes
    Drives their backspikes
    Deep into the sheer
    Sides of the trap

Climbing as quickly as she might...
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-11-10 at 01:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #2027
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Setsuna

The mercenary "Orik" doesn't even bother to slash at Setsuna as she passes, merely following her movement with his eyes as she leaps past, his weapon and shield still held at the ready against Sirus. It would seem that he apparently did receive the same instructions as Lyrie - to let the tiefling pass...

... and to kill the others. Fixing a stern gaze at Sirus's face, Orik continues to chew deliberately on whatever it is he has in the corner of his mouth.

Setsuna has left the level and combat. Please see the next post for details.

Cipriano gets pushed out of the pit by Rico.

Since Sirus's action mentions waiting for Orik's attack, I'm considering Sirus to have been holding his action until Orik's turn.

Orik and Sirus

Spoiler
    Show
    Power Attack
    Attack: (1d20+8)[19], Damage: (1d10+7)[17]

Orik spits a black gobbet of tobacco on the floor before rotating his sword wrist, in no hurry to choose his target. Finally deciding upon the wiry half-orc as the more dangerous of his opponents, Orik suddenly steps forward and thrusts hard at Sirus's stomach with frightening speed.

Sirus is too quick, however, and dodges out of the way before delivering a precise blow to the soft tissue behind Orik's knee, causing the mercenary to buckle and tumble to the floor in a loud clashing jangle of linked mail. Even lying prone, however, Orik is far too seasoned a warrior and immediately brings up his shield just in time to stop Sirus from rearranging his face. The shield - decorated with a leering gorgon face - almost seems to be sneering back at Sirus for failing to hit.

Orik is now prone.

Red
    HP: 27/28
    AC 17

Spoiler
    Show
    +2 from flanking
    Attack: (1d20+8)[20], Damage: (1d4+3)[4]
    Sneak Attack: (1d6)[3]

Red can only watch open-mouthed in horror, a chill settling on her heart, as Setsuna charges down the corridor and pushes her way past the tall man in pursuit of the bugbear. Gods above, what on earth was she thinking? Why was she even going in alone?

As soon as the mercenary steps forward to attack Sirus, Red immediately dashes forward, intent on going after Setsuna, only to falter as she catches sight of Sirus's deathly calm face and of Cipriano clambering out of the pit. And for a moment, the young woman's face twists in agony at the choice she has to make.

No. Rico was here. Rico came first. She couldn't just abandon the others like this. It was one thing to run into great danger, but to leave others in danger just as great was a cowardly thing to do that Cayden himself couldn't possibly approve of.

Growling aloud her frustration through her teeth, Red whirls and plunges one of her kukris through the exposed opening at Orik's armpit, causing the man to grunt in pain and for the first time take notice of the small red-haired fighter, something in his stony eyes changing as he does. Red, however, is too preoccupied with worry to notice.

Taladron is holding an action moves out of Rico's way into the room ahead but is still holding a standard action. Come back, bcool!

Rico climbs out of the pit.

Initiative
    19 - Orik - prone
    10 - Sirus
    17 - Red
    17 - Taladron - still on hold
    17 - Rico
    > 7 - Cipriano

It is now Cipriano's turn

Battle Map
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-11-11 at 02:25 PM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #2028
    Troll in the Playground

"SIRUS! COMING THROUGH!"
    Comes Rico's strident bellow
    As one axe to her belt returns
    But the other axe her right fist raises
    While her left clutches tight, shield's stem
    Rico's ironshod feet pound down the corridor
    "Keep! Im! Down!"
    The charge skids just before the beetled warrior
    Then shield slams on shield
    Rico's axe darts in
    For the elbow's
    Mailed meat

Spoiler
    Show

Charged, Flanking, Masterwork Axe, not Raging, but Power Attacking.
    (1d20+11)[18]
    (1d6+6)[9]
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-11-11 at 01:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #2029
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Setsuna (NOT in combat yet)

Spoiler
    Show

Twirling past the mercenary blocking the way, you are free to chase Bruthazmus down the stairs...

You barely notice the intricate Thassilonian carvings on the lintel and sides of the open stone door at the foot of the steps, nor the ugly chisel marks and cracks that mar the ancient work. Halting at the door, you find yourself at the entrance of an ancient and mouldering hall, bearing every sign of neglect but also that of recent intrusion. Two fluted pillars support a ceiling caked with several years worth of grime and soot, while the walls are smeared with a thick layer of grey dust. The alcoves in the north and south walls contain partially damaged statues of a thin man in robes who clutches a book and a glaive, his face so worn by time that all you see is a blank face with hollows where eyes should be staring at you. Spiderwebs festoon the corners of the room, lit a garish orange by the light shed by the flickering lanterns on the floor.

For some odd reason, the entire room is canted towards the west, the statues all leaning against the western wall of their alcoves, as though knocked off their bases by some massive force. The air in here is surprisingly fresh though, cool and clean as mountain air. Unlike the rest of the room, however, the floor has been recently and carefully swept, with a large sprig of willow branches lying forlornly in one corner.

Due to the slant of the floor, all attack rolls made on an enemy to the west gain a +1 height advantage. This applies to the whole of this floor and is in effect unless otherwise stated.

Detect Magic (if on)
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a faint transmutation aura in the room.

Your quarry, Bruthazmus, has managed to toddle over to the centre of the room, where he stands with the same ridiculous grin on his face, looking rather pleased with himself. "Hoo hoo. This sword musta mean a lot to yer, hm? Worth plenty of smuckers, is it? I'll keep that in mind, little devil girl. C'mon then - dance w'me hey? Lyrie's got her head stuck too far up her ar-"

"Shut up, you steaming horseturd. We all know you prattle when you're nervous. Just admit it and quit flapping your gums." Lyrie and her four illusory doubles scowl at him from the other side of the room, their eyes darting towards you, thin wands held loosely in their hands and an unfurled scroll in the other.

Meanwhile, a skeletal muzzle pokes enquiringly out of an ajar door on the east side of the room, snuffling loudly before its owner - another Yeth Hound, its red eyes fairly blazing at the sight of you - prowls forth, a low growl rising in its throat.

Map
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-11-11 at 02:31 PM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #2030
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Rounding the corner to come across both Lyrie and Bruthazmus, Setsuna slows down and glares at the bugbear with fire in her eyes, "That is not just some sword! She has been at my side for years, and nothing is going to stop me from getting her back!" Spotting the Yeth Hound however, the tiefling realizes that charging down here alone may not have been the best idea and instead tries a diplomatic approach to buy both information on how to settle this without killing anyone and time for her friends to arrive.

"Now we all know that you were told to take me to Nualia-san alive, so instead of fighting, let us talk." Looking away from Bruthazmus, Setsuna's gaze moves to the hound, not sure if it understands. Remembering that the elf they'd just rescued momentarily confused them by speaking in Abyssal, she realizes that they probably can understand that and addresses it in that tongue.

Abyssal
    Spoiler
    Show

"I am here to speak to your master. She wants to see me unharmed."

Hoping the demonic dog understood, the tiefling finally focuses on the wizardess to ask her questions before any of them have a chance to reject the offer of talking outright. "Lyrie-san, I did not have a chance to speak to you in the Glassworks the other day. I need to ask you...Why are you doing all this? Why are you and that man upstairs and this bugbear fighting so hard for Nualia-san's revenge? Tsuto-san even killed himself for her...So many people have been killed already, more have suffered, and the number will only grow if things continue as they are. What is the point of causing all of this pain?"

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy, don't fail me now! (1d20+8)[11]

(Should I roll once for each of them, or just 1 roll total?)

21. - Top - End - #2031
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano
    HP 15/19
    AC 19

Spoiler
    Show
    Spell list:
    0: Read Magic, Detect Magic, Guidance, Light
    1: Bless, Summon Monster I, Weapons Against Evil, Protection from Evil (D)
    2: Summon Monster II, Silence, Align Weapon (D)

Channel Positive Energy: IIIII
    Touch of Good: IIIIIII

"Thanks, love!" Cipriano called out as he was pushed out of the elf-created pit. He turned to offer Rico a hand in return, but then he saw her climbing out of the pit on her own accord. "And don't worry about me, ya can't keep a good man down", he offered cheekily before rushing to help the others. As he ran, he spoke words of prayer to the Lucky Drunk, until he slapped his hand against Sirus's shoulder. For a moment, the ghostly visage of Thais, Cayden Cailean's herald, appeared on top of the pugilist's frame before merging into him, strengthening him arms and spirit against this formidable opponent.

"Th' bigger they are...", Cipriano whispered, letting Sirus finish that thought.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cipriano uses touch of good: Sirus gets a +2 bonus to his attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws for the next round.

22. - Top - End - #2032
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Seeing that the mercenary is down, Sirus starts a series of low kicks aimed at the weak joints, keeping an eye for any attempts to stand up.

Spoiler
    Show
    So...not sure of he is going to act before me.

If no, FoB when he is down
    atk1 (1d20+4)[15] dmg (1d6+4)[9]
    atk2 (1d20+4)[13] dmg (1d6+4)[9]

and AoO trip if he tries to stand up
    atk1 (1d20+14)[17]
    Vicious Stomp (1d20+6)[12] dmg (1d6+4)[5]

If he acts before me, AoO as above if he stands up, and trip attacks with the rolls of A1 and A2 (with a +8 to atk). And Vicious Stomp as usual.

If he acts before me and stays down, FoB as above.

This is not a post, it is COBOL programming!

EDIT: And all of them are low low low.

23. - Top - End - #2033
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Setsuna only

Spoiler
    Show
    Bruthazmus merely sniggers, curling back black lips to expose half-rotted teeth as he waves Maethilur tauntingly above his head, out of your reach. "Yer want it so bad, yer come'n get it, little devil girl."

The Yeth Hound, pricking up its ears when you address it in Abyssal, lowers the tone of its growl and watches you suspiciously from where it stands, its entire body still poised and ready to spring at a moment's notice. Lyrie, for her part, openly rolls her eyes scornfully at you.

"For platinum, sweetheart. And the chance to study the ruins here. Pure and simple. Or did you have a better offer? Seeing as to how you couldn't even afford to buy yourself a potato sack to wear since we last met, I doubt so." The mage sneers and wags a finger at you - a contemptuous gesture that is rather undercut by the comical effect of all four doubles mimicking her facial expression down to the littlest twitch of her pert nose. "Or were you intending to prance around like a Chelish whore in the hopes of seducing Nua-"

"That will do, Lyrie."

The voice is soft and lilting, but bears a clear note of command. You look back to the doorway to behold a tall, willow-slim aasimar of stunning beauty, clad in gleaming black armour with the crooked symbol of the three-eyed jackal embossed in bright ruby on the breastplate and cuisse, bony claw spikes extending from the right pauldron. She gazes at you impassively, her eyes an even shade of violet down to the sclera, one hand resting lightly on the hilt of the bastard sword worn at her waist, the other hand - a scaly hairless deformity that looks for all the world like the flayed talon of a pit fiend - idly scratching the head of yet another Yeth Hound that lingers at her side.

Incongruously enough, the aasimar has removed the plackart of her armour, exposing a belly criss-crossed with angry-looking welts and raised keloids that almost obscure the tell-tale dimpling of stretch marks. She looks at you, unafraid and calm, her silver hair immaculately brushed, as though it is the most natural thing in the world to be having a conversation with a half-naked tiefling in the bottom of a filthy dungeon next to a sweaty bugbear and a disgruntled Katapeshi wizard.

"You have come. Just as the Mother said you would. Truly, her wisdom and foresight is great beyond reckoning."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-11-12 at 08:18 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #2034
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Before she has a chance to get too flushed in embarrassment and indignation at Lyrie's insult, though not before she brings her tail up to make an attempt at covering herself, and before she can do the math to figure out how much the Katapeshi would probably need paid to do something helpful to Sandpoint instead, Setsuna finally gets a look at Nualia in the flesh. Examining the aasimar, the tiefling can't help but wonder what she'd be able to do with her looks alone if she wasn't intent on trying to turn into a demon. Now isn't the time for that. Shifting her gaze momentarily to Nualia's scarred belly, Setsuna thinks back to Mae's scolding a few minutes earlier, 'Proof that their bearer has either birthed a monster child or is uncommonly devoted!' I guess this isn't going to be as easy as I'd hoped, but it isn't too late, it can't be!

Doing her best to stay just as calm as Nualia appears, Setsuna replies after a moment, for once in her life trying to choose her words carefully, "I have, but when you were told that I was coming were you told why, Nualia-san?"

Spoiler
    Show

Technically takes a minute of continuous interaction for influencing attitudes, so this might not be usable yet, but...

Diplomacy to make Nualia more friendly! (And I'm invoking the Alluring Trait for what might be the final time before the end of the chapter and it getting replaced by Reckless, so if it doesn't apply to Nualia then subtract 2 from this result) (1d20+10)[16]

25. - Top - End - #2035
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

GM-mod: Rico holding action until Sirus clears the way for a charge.

Cipriano uses Touch of Good.

Orik and Sirus and Rico and Red

Spoiler
    Show
    Tries to get up - Sirus's AoO - success, is still prone

-4 for prone
    Attack: (1d20+5)[23], Damage: (1d10+5)[15]

Sirus: GM-bot: takes five foot step

Attack: (1d20+4)[23], Damage: (1d4+3)[4]
    Attack: (1d20+4)[16], Damage: (1d4+3)[5]
    Sneak Attack: (1d6)[5]

Confirm Critical:
    Attack: (1d20+4)[7], Damage: (1d4+3)[7] - failed

"Hup!" Briefly lowering his shield so that he can use his elbows, Orik rolls and tries to rise, only to have the ever-alert Sirus scythe his footing out from under him. As he falls, Sirus closes in, clouting him so soundly on the helm that the metal actually dents in, bruising flesh and making his ears ring.

Crashing back to the ground, Orik scowls and strikes out blindly with his sword, hacking deep into the half-orc's stomach. The next moment, however, Rico comes charging in, hacking deep into the bone and meat of his sword arm with her hatchet. Meanwhile, seizing the opportunity, Red pounces from the other side of the mercenary, one of her kukris sinking deep into the unprotected area behind Orik's knee.

New Event. Note that Combat is still ongoing, but talking is a free action.

"Wait! Oy! Holdup!" Orik gasps, trying to protect his head and torso as best he can with his shield as he slides about in a widening pool of his own blood. His sword arm dangles quite uselessly at his side, likely broken, though he does try his best to hold it up defensively. "Don't kill me! 'll talk! I'll tell yer ev'rythin I knows!"

He rolls his eyes frantically in Red's direction, pleading. "Yer there - yer Allin, no? Yer knows Chanda Cutpurse? We used t'run together - Knocmar's outfit. She wod'n want m'dead!"

Red, taken aback to hear her sister's name, looks worriedly up at the rest of you, pursing her lips as she gives a brief shake of her head. She has absolutely no idea who this man is.

Initiative
    19 - Orik - prone
    10 - Sirus
    17 - Rico
    17 - Red
    > 17 - Taladron
    7 - Cipriano

It is now Taladron's turn

No map today. Imageshack is down!

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #2036
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus grunts, more like growls, when the blade pushes deep into his belly. Holding his would low, he growls

"Lay down. Your weapons. And you. Will. Be spared."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sirus only has 3 hps left.

27. - Top - End - #2037
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Setsuna only

Spoiler
    Show

"Indeed, I was told. What is that to you?" says Nualia evenly, the Yeth Hound by her side leaning closely against her leg as she continues to stroke its emaciated head.

"Bruthazmus, I see you have been thoughtful enough to bear our guest's sword for her. Carry it this way, if you please. Lyrie, the spell. Now. And you..." As the wizard and bugbear move to obey, Nualia tilts her head towards the corridor she has just emerged from. "You told my hound that you wished to speak to me. We will speak, but not here."

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #2038
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know who this 'Chanda' is", Cipriano growled when he looked at the mercenary. If the blighter expected mercy after hacking into Sirus's midsection like that - Cipriano might oblige. But not without reassurances. "But th' only runnin' you'll be doin' is towards your death if I don't see you droppin' on your knees an' droppin' yer gear. Now.", he growled as he moved towards Sirus, already looking for his nigh-spent wand of healing magic.

29. - Top - End - #2039
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Red clenches her kukris in her fists, unwilling to put them down, glancing urgently at Rico. Who the hell was this man and how did he know her family name? Sure, Chanda hung out with all sorts and she'd risen pretty high in old Split-face's gang, but working together with a demon worshipper?

Unwilling to acknowledge that any of what the man had said was true, Red holds her silence, merely narrowing her eyes.

GM post

"Awwight, see? Laid down m'arms." Orik lets his shield and sword clatter to the ground, before covering his head with his good arm. "I surrendeah. Don't kill me, please!"

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #2040
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

"Because if you really were told it will save us some time." Setsuna keeps quiet when Nualia issues orders to her subordinates, though only barely restrains herself from chasing after Bruthazmus as he carries out his command.

Nodding at the aasimar, the tiefling moves to follow her out of the room, though walking a little slower than usual. If I don't talk to her now I might not get another chance...I hope everyone will be alright.

Spoiler
    Show

If Lyrie is casting something then Spellcraft (1d20+7)[8]

If Nualia leads down to a turn can I stealthily drop something or slip off a saranji to point the party down the correct path?