Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

Setsuna

Once asked for aid by Cipriano, Setsuna responds just after Red, "Of course, you have my assistance for whatever you require," expressing a similar concern for Rico, and chuckling at the clerics 'words of wisdom'.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Ameiko chortles as she reads Cipriano's penned paper. "I like that one about the pint of ale with friends. Well then, Father Cipriano. As owner, proprietess, and barkeep of the Rusty Dragon, I grant you permission to grace the walls of mine fine establishment with the expert wisdom of the Lucky Drunk."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-22 at 09:48 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"Thank you, milady. I accept your invitation and offer my services to the fine people of Sandpoint, as witnessed by Misses Setsuna and Red, and Master Mandraiv", Cipriano answered with a polite bow to all five in attendance - yes, including the halfling maid Berthana.

After that, he slid one of his two daggers out of its hilt and placed the parchment against the solid oak. One sharp thrust and the Placard of Wisdom was hanging from the inn's wall, the Magnimarian dagger still quivering.

"There. Thank you all. Now let's finish breakfast and start invigorating the crap outta the local economy, shall we?" Cipriano said with a broad smile, signifying that the ceremony was over. Clearly the church of the Lucky Drunk wasn't big on pomp and circumstance.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Rico

Still on hold for one more GM post.

Everybody else

With Cipriano's work done and Rico nowhere in sight for the moment, the rest of you head out of the Rusty Dragon and into town once you've all had something to eat.

It is about mid-morning by now and for the rest of Sandpoint, it's back to business as usual - with farmers crowding the marketplace, housewives going about their shopping, and the clang of iron from the smithy. At least half of the locals you meet in the streets smile and wave cheerily at you, recognising you instantly as the heroes of yesterday - or is that Cipriano's free round of drinks last night at work? Either way, a fair number of the locals are disposed to be friendly towards you and if they didn't know your names yesterday... well, they now do.

(Hooray, you have groupies.)

Those of you paying attention to the local gossip swirling around learn that first thing this morning, Father Zantus had gathered the town leaders and the other local clerics to hold a quiet and much more subdued indoor ceremony to finish consecrating Sandpoint Cathedral. This has disappointed a few of the more pious Desna worshippers, but the majority of Sandpoint seems eager to get yesterday's unpleasantness behind them as quickly as possible. After all, it would have been plain awkward to go through the whole thing all over again, especially with the Watch stretched to its limits and Hemlock having summoned in most of the local militia to help with the manpower shortfall.

In other news, Daviren Hosk seems to be offering a bounty of 5 gp for every pair of goblin ears brought to him, which has led some of the more enterprising townsfolk to head down to the Garrison to demand that Hemlock release the goblins to them. (Hemlock's answer so far has been no, but one never knows.) Cyrdak Drokkus, local playwright and showman, is reportedly thinking of altering his latest play to include a goblin attack of some sort. Dungsweeper Gorvi's been swaggering about town claiming that he took on ten goblins all by himself. Chod Bevuk's been claiming that he took on fifteen. And other drivel of that sort.

At the armoury

Cipriano's rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Appraise (1d20+5)[24] - the work at this armoury is as good as it gets in a town the size of Sandpoint - perhaps even better; Savah's been in business for years, and the number of masterwork weapons on display is boast enough of her skills.
    Diplomacy (1d20+6)[17] - Even if Savah wasn't already eager to get to know the nice people who stopped her livelihood from going up in smoke, she's fairly impressed by everyone's manners. The fact that she's got a scantily-clad tiefling in her store doesn't faze her one bit.
    Sense Motive (1d20+8)[10] - Savah seems genuinely grateful that you all saved her store.

As it so happens, Savah Bevaniky, owner of the armoury you all prevented from catching fire yesterday, is immensely pleased when the lot of you present yourselves at her door. So pleased, in fact, that she doesn't mind accepting 'goblin-tainted' weapons and leather - ("Oh, I'm sure the smell will clean itself up something beautiful in no time at all!"). She's grateful beyond measure that her precious armoury was saved from burning down a second time - apparently the great fire that took out the chapel that'd existed before the new Cathedral had almost taken her armoury with it. As such, she's also willing to sell any of you armour and weapons at 20% off the usual cost.

Loot is sold for a total of 109 gp, with leaves you all with 129 gp in total. Party split per person is 21 gp 5 sp. See below for the exact breakdown.

Cipriano only has to pay 1 gp 6 sp for a dagger if he wants one. Anyone else want discount sales?

At the General Store

Mandraiv (perhaps unsurprisingly) knows exactly where the General Store is and he takes the lead on your way there. Unfortunately or not, a certain someone else happens to be in the area as well when you all make your appearance on the scene.

You have all gathered outside the store and are just about to enter to get Cipriano's stationery when the door swings open to reveal none other than Aldern Foxglove on his way out, followed by three menservants. The young noble seems none worse the wear despite yesterday's events - in fact, he cuts a rather dashing figure in his jerkin and hose, the exquisite blue and gold hunting jacket athwart his shoulders notwithstanding. Upon seeing your group, his eyes instantly light up and he eagerly hurries down the steps to greet you all.

"My friends! I didn't see you at the Rusty Dragon at all - forgive my poor manners. I was quite tired out from all that goblining business yesterday, and I had to see to poor Siegfried's body this morning - he'll want to be buried under his favourite tree at the estate, no doubt. I was just about to head out hunting - was almost afraid that I'd have to leave town tomorrow without seeing any of you! Especially you, Master Scarletti." Aldern beams roundly at all of you, thankfully oblivious to Red's frown as he advances, patting at his belt.

"I said I'd thank you all properly, didn't I? A Foxglove never forgets his promises. Here you go then." He fishes a soft leather purse out of his belt and presents it to Sirus with a flourish, bowing slightly. The night's rest seems to have done much to improve his manners.

"I'm only sorry I didn't bring more with me, but I hope you understand when I say that I sure wasn't intending to be saved from being eaten alive by goblins by all you brave people," Aldern chuckles boyishly, revealing beautiful even white teeth. "Perhaps I ought to hire one of you to teach me how to use my body as a weapon, eh? So much for all those fisticuffs they taught me as a child. Absolutely useless against goblins!"

Anyone who opens the purse finds in it gold coins to the value of 300 gp.

• 1 potion of Cure Moderate Wounds - taken by Red
    • 1 potion of Cure Light Wounds - taken by Sirus
    • 1 masterwork horsechopper - only the head is left - 4 gp
    • 2 shortbows - 30 gp
    • 2 quivers with 20 arrows each - 1gp
    • 2 studded leather armour (small) - 12 gp 75 sp
    • 7 leather armour (small) - 2 gp 5sp x 7 = 14 gp 35 sp
    • 8 dogslicers - 4 gp x 8 = 32 gp
    • 1 whip - 5 sp
    • 20 gp

Total = 129 gp
    Party Split per person = 21 gp 5 sp
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-23 at 09:46 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

Once Cipriano had dressed up in his armor again, he was ready to go. And once outside, he didn't let his charm drop as he and his comrades-in-arms went on their way towards the armoury. He greeted everyone with a warm smile and a wave, and if someone wished to have words with them, he made sure to get the person's name. He had every intention to stay in Sandpoint as long as he was welcome there, so it was just prudent to start learning people's names and faces.

At the armoury he proved he wasn't just a pretty face, though; talking amicably with Mistress Bevaniky he applauded her excellent wares as well as asked her expert opinion on his own rapier - a Magnimarian bravo's blade of blue Shoanti steel and a Chelish-style decorative crossguard, forged by the master swordsmith Tyrian Arronax. While he had no intention of selling the sword, he did have a hand on trying some of her masterwork maces, in the hopes he might have sufficient coin to purchase one of the lighter ones later on. In the end, he did replace the dagger now sticking out of Ameiko's wall with a beautifully-crafted hunting knife - bought with a handful of silver pieces and a hope of future patronage.

Their journey to the general store, however, was interrupted by the sudden appearance of the Foxglove lad - this time with a trio of man servants in attendance. Cipriano managed to stifle a frown that almost appeared on his forehead at the constant bubbling of platitudes and praises from the young nobleman. All words, no deeds, as his mentor would have said. The kind of man who pays others to work for him, instead of getting his own hands dirty. Cipriano was something of a dandy himself, but this man just went overboard with it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Sense Motive... I don't trust this guy. [roll0]

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, let's try that one again. I keep forgetting that previewing the post or getting the 1-minute error message fudges up the roll.

So... Sense Motive (1d20+8)[28]

And to heck with it, let's roll Knowledge (Nobility) too (1d20+1)[21]

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Red scowls at the crazy man and his flunkeys, not bothering to hide her irritation. What was it with rich people and being weird?

Pointedly ignoring Aldern and not bothering with the purse in Sirus' hand, she turns her back on the young noble and goes up the steps into the General Store.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Having set out from the Rusty Dragon, Setsuna found herself thinking that maybe she should stay a while in Sandpoint, even after the goblin situation was resolved. There were good people here, maybe even some real friends, something she hadn't had in too long. Even with her mind distracted however, common courtesy comes naturally due to her upbringing as she greets each of the group's well-wisher along with Cipriano, trying to learn their names and faces to make this town feel more like a home rather than simply another spot on a map.

Once the man that their group had saved yesterday makes his appearance, she notices Red's obvious distaste for him but ignores it for the sake of diplomacy. Having some experience with dealing with nobility, even if from another region, Setsuna has an idea of what the pouch contains without needing to examine it. Sirus-san doesn't like to speak much from what I've seen, perhaps I should handle this...If he's anything like the noblemen of home then he'll want to appear as kind and generous as possible, and love the chance to coerce us into this gift.

Turning to Aldern, Setsuna gives a slight bow and a courteous smile, "You are too generous Foxglove-dono, our group did only what would be expected of any able bodies." She pauses for a moment, a look of regret passing her features, "And we were ultimately unable to protect your beloved Siegfried, we have no right to accept reward for that."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy to make him more friendly (1d20+7)[11] (+1 Alluring?)

Also a Diplomacy roll for the passerby and groupies (1d20+7)[8]

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus face betrays no emotion as he sees the young nobleman, but it seems to become more stoney. However, after his show of gratitude, Sirus takes the pouch and gives a bow. A man who does not forget his debts when he could have is someone who deserves a bit of respect. His companions reactions aside, Sirus answers.

"Unarmed combat. Is not for. Gentlemen of breeding. However. Generosity in gratitude. Becomes him. I accept this. As a mark of. A gentleman."

With that, he bows again and waits until Foxglove leaves.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Everyone else

Party (sushi) Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cipriano:
    Sense Motive (1d20+8)[28]: You sense that Aldern is indeed trying hard to impress all of you. He's genuinely curious about his saviours, and he's certainly very taken with Sirus - though this seems to be hero-worship rather than anything lustful in nature. Nevertheless, you also sense something desperate, almost pleading, about the young noble. Almost as though he is deeply afraid of something and seeing all of you kindles in him some spark of hope.

Knowledge (Nobility) (1d20+1)[21]: You know that the Foxgloves are an ancient noble house originally hailing from Magnimar, having made good their fortunes as immensely successful merchants and traders. The family has been plagued by tragedy in recent years, however, with local Varisian rumour holding that some Foxglove ancestor must have made a deal with a devil or something like that.

Aldern Foxglove is the last surviving male of the Magnimar Foxglove branch. A fire broke out in the servant's wing of the Foxglove country manor about twenty years ago, and by the time it was put out, Cyralie Foxglove was found dead - burnt and dashed on the rocks below the cliffs behind the house - and Traver Foxglove was found in his bedroom, dead by his own hand. Their children - Aldern and his sisters - were sent away to be raised by their relatives in distant Korvosa.

Aldern returned to Magnimar about five years ago to reclaim his legacy and restore the Foxglove name. You know that he's been making something of a name for himself as a successful trader, that he's been busy trying to hire artisans to fix the ruined country manor, and that he got married about a year or so ago to a wildly beautiful Varisian commoner - something that scandalised his Korvosan relations to no end.

Diplomacy to chum up the people of Sandpoint (1d20+6)[15]: Most of the people you meet seem pleased to have a Caydenite priest in their midst. "You'll be 'olding all yer services in the taverns, won't yer?"

Setsuna:
    Diplomacy to make Aldern more friendly (1d20+7)[11] (+1 Alluring = 12)

Diplomacy roll for the passerby and groupies (1d20+7)[8]: You'd expect the people of Sandpoint to have been tieflings before, but apparently you expected wrong. Most of the people you meet are polite enough, but seem wary of your odd eyes and tail. Your choice of dress also elicits a few sounds of disapproval from the more conservative of the citizens.

Aldern looks askance at Red as she moves away, a vaguely pained look flashing across his face before he turns to Setsuna with a warm smile.

"Nonsense, milady," he says graciously, bobbing his head in the appropriate courtly manner. "You saved my life too. Surely you don't mean to say that I'm not allowed to be grateful for my own life? No. You keep the money. I insist. It's all I can do for you."

Once Sirus accepts the purse, Aldern beams and promptly makes to grab hold of Sirus' hand again, but manages to remember to keep his manners in front of his menservants at the last moment. Grinning to cover his embarrassment, he settles for a deeper bow than before. "Not for gentlemen of breeding, eh? I'll remember that. Why I-"

Aldern doesn't manage to get any further. Behind him, Red pulls open the store door and is immediately assailed by the explosive sounds of what is clearly a family quarrel, the sheer volume of the raised voices all but drowning out Aldern's.

"- not having my eldest daughter sneak around with some command hand, like she's some whore from Kaye's cathouse!"

"Ven! Keep your voice down!"

"Solsta, do you even know what they're saying about Katrine down at the taverns?"

Red looks back uncertainly at the rest of you. Before she can decide to close the door and come back later, however, a frustrated young woman in country dress storms out of the store, pausing only to shout back at her parents. "I can't believe the two of you are fighting over something stupid like this! Kat's already twenty-four, by the Gods! You know what? Forget it! I'll go fix our own damn rat problem MYSELF."

Without waiting for a response, the young woman slams the door and flounces down the stairs two at the time in a huff. Those of you who spent any amount of time at the festival yesterday with the local ladies instantly recognise her - this is not the notorious Katrine Vinder, but her younger sister, Shayliss.

Shayliss instantly recognises Mandraiv and approaches him right away, sighing and shaking her head. "Dammit. Sorry I didn't see you there, Mandy. You didn't need to hear that. The old man's up in arms about Kat going round with Banny. Like seriously - isn't Kat old enough to decide who she should bloody well date?" She rolls her eyes and folds her arms under her breasts, tossing her flaming red hair in bold defiance of her father.

"All I did was ask dad if Kat could come down to the basement with me to clear out the rats that were getting at the corn sacks, and he just blew up! Said he wasn't having Kat going into no dark places where she could get up to mischief. Sheesh."

At this point, Aldern seems to perk up and he coughs politely. "Um, maybe I could help, young miss? I'm sure-"

Shayliss doesn't even grace Aldern with a side-glance, merely sneering at the hope in the young man's voice. "With all due respect, Mister Foxglove? Piss off and go home to cuddle your wifey. You couldn't even take on a couple of gobbos yesterday - I heard you telling me mam. What makes you think you can take on some big ole rats, eh?"

Rico

Ameiko laughs and passes you the pitcher of water. "There's plenty more where that came from, Rico. You just gotta say the word. And of course I'm serious about letting you and the others stay here for a week free. When have you ever known me to joke about my business?"

As you drink, Ameiko runs her thumb over the table, inspecting the joints and the grain of the wood, nodding imperceptibly to herself in satisfaction as she does so. Slapping the top with her hand, she grins and waits for you to finish with the pitcher. "Y'know, for a copper, you do decent woodwork. Thank you. This'll be one heck of a table - you'll sit at it tonight, won't you? Just for show?"

At the mention of her brother, Ameiko's smile fades a little, but she rallies quickly and gives a small shrug, an oddly wistful expression on her face. "Same old, Rico. I've been asking everyone who passes through the Dragon if they've seen Tsuto around, but no luck. You'd think a half-elf with Tian blood would be easier to find, but there we go. Why do you ask? And no, Whisper checked out this morning while you were fixing the table. Said something about heading to Korvosa. This isn't about... that song, is it? I told her she ought not to be making songs about people like that, but she just went into this long spiel about creative differences."

Ameiko eyes you carefully, aware that she's broaching a sensitive topic here.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-26 at 01:35 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

Cipriano was just about to take a step closer to Aldern, to tell him in firm but polite terms to stop faffing about and tell Sirus and the rest of them what was bugging him. Clearly something was amiss with the young nobleman, seeing he was so keen on including the taciturn pugilist in his entourage. Unfortunately - for Aldern, at least - this plan was scrapped by the domestic disturbance of the Vender household, and the sudden storming out of Miss Shayliss.

She's quite the looker herself, Cipriano had to admit to himself as he took a glance at the redheaded woman's figure. Can't blame Master Ven for worrying about his daughters.

And best kept my wits about me, if this one proves amorous to spite daddy...

"Must be some rat problem if a little cheese and poison don't do the trick", Cipriano interrupted with a smile, hoping to save Aldern from another earful. "Something special about these vermin? More vicious than usual? Rodents of unusual size?" he asked cheerfully, stepping a little between the girl and the Foxglove lad.

"Master Foxglove, we still have some business to see to while the day is still young", he continued, turning to look at the young nobleman. "Perhaps you would join us later today in Miss Kaijitsu's establishment, so that we may discuss further of matters of martial training. In peace and quiet", the young Caydenite tried to intone, hoping that the boy would catch the drift and be more willing to 'fess up when he didn't need to put on airs in public.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Rico frowns contentedly and shrugs, then says, "M'thanks. Been learnin' from the craft from both masters Battlehorn an' Hammerhand."

One thick brow rises in puzzlement as she asks, "Just fer show my arse, Keep. I live 'ere, I sleep 'ere, I eat 'ere. Well, 'tleast, 'alf the time, 'slong's I still ain't reinstated intuh uniform."

She then scratches her ear, frowns and snorts. "'Ppreciated, Keep. An', all due respect, not meanin' no offense, if ye ever see 'im, ye'd do well ta covvince 'im ta drop by deh precinct. Or my room. Just so's 'is name--- an' yours, c'd be categorically cleared o' suspicion inna oggoin' ivvestigation. Can't say further'n that, my apologies."

She then breathes a long sigh as she leans her elbows on the bartop, tilting her head backwards and closing her eyes. She snorts and says, "Yeah, 'tis about that. She mayya be wrong on that, but I admit I'm not free of guilt in that matter as well. Wanted ta apologize fer overreacting..."

Without looking, she takes takes out of her pocket a little wooden statuette, a three-dimensional portrait of the bard in question, carven with that cocky swagger, hands mid-strum and mouth mid-song, right down to that ineffable smirk in the eyes and lips. Some rough cuts about the head betray the unfinished sculpting of the hair mid-sway. "...HAH, no roses in token of apology furm yours truly. Tch. Well, 'twas either that or a fresh-forged dirk."

She shrugs, puts the figurine on the bartop and slides it across at Ameiko. "Fancy paperweight, then, Keepa' Kaij', fer ye, in token of appreciation an' gratitude. Oh, by the way, ye 'eard tell o' where the rest of them ragtag buncha misfit heroes've gone by now?"
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Red remains where she is at the top of the General Store stairs, the corner of her mouth twitching in unease. She doesn't like hovering around just outside the door - hearing Ven and Solsta squabble reminds her a little of those precious few times her mother had stood up to her father's abuse. But if she went back down the stairs, she would have to go near to the crazy man and she didn't want to do that either.

And now there was Shayliss too. Shayliss was beautiful. But she was really really loud. She could swear worse than a sailor if she had a mind to. Any rats in the basement had a good chance of being shouted to death with dirty words if Shayliss ever got her hands on them.

Sighing, Red fidgets with the rosary around her wrist, wishing that Rico was here. Rico would send crazy Mister Foxglove packing in no time at all, and she'd make the Vinders stop shouting, and maybe she'd even help Shayliss get rid of those rats in no time at all. Because Rico was helpful that way. Why on earth had she gone off by herself without even letting Red know where she'd gone?

She looks glumly down the stairs at Shayliss, a tiny spark of jealousy tingling in her chest. Red hair. Shayliss had really nice hair. Like woven scarlet brocade. She was willing to bet that nobody ever made fun of Shayliss for having hair like that. Or made lame jokes about foxes and carrots. Or said stuff about red hair and demons and witchery. Why did some people have all the luck?

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Rico

"My name?" Ameiko's delicately wrinkles her brow, burying her face in her hands. "Oh Gods. Please tell me that Tsuto's not in trouble again... That's all my dad would need to hear right now. Things are already bad enough between him and Tsuto as it is. Ugh." She gives a soft groan, shaking her head in despair. "Though it probably wouldn't surprise me if he was mixed up in bad company of sorts. He was always friendly with the Sczarni..."

Despite her worry for her brother, Ameiko listens carefully as you speak about Whisper. Picking up your carving of the bard, she gently turns it over in her hands before carefully pushing it back towards you, something sad about the smile on her face. "No, Rico. You keep it. This means something to you - I couldn't just use it as a paperweight. 'Sides... You know Whisper. She'll turn up here again some day. Maybe you could give it to her then... if you still feel the same way you do right now."

"The others said something about going to buy and sell some things? I think Father Cipriano said something about getting some pen and paper for himself." She jerks her head towards the newly installed Placard of Wisdom on the wall. "Speaking of which... Does Red know yet? About... you and Whisper."

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Shayliss! So good to see you!" He pauses as Cipriano speaks, Then turns back to Shayliss, flashing a charming smile, "Rodents like that can be dangerous. If you need any help, I would be happy to help you in any way I can. A true gentleman always moves to protect others from danger." He turns to the other young noble, "Aldern, it has been so long since we've spoken, let's go catch up." Mandraiv motions outside, towards an area in the open, but with noone around.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Everyone else

Shayliss gives Cipriano an appraising stare that though bold, is not unkind. "Don't be daft. Ain't you ever gone rat-trapping before? Rats don't eat cheese. They eat grains and sweet stuff. That's why they're in the corn sacks, not up in the store getting at mam's cheese wheels."

"This lot has been too crafty for poison so far. Suppose I'll have to take 'em out with a club or something. And that's just gonna suck because I'd have to move all the sacks around and what just to get at them. " Shayliss makes a face of disgust, sticking out her tongue as she looks down at her hands. "And I just gave these the old lemon juice and sugar treatment too, dammit."

Meanwhile, a crushed-looking Aldern meekly follows Mandraiv out to the clear space nearby, trailed by his manservent entourage. "I- I'm sorry, good sir," he says politely. "But I really don't recall having seen you before yesterday...?"

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"Well now, we can't have that, now can we?" Cipriano chuckled at the mention of Shayliss ruining her hands. "What do you think, friends? If Rico's not turned up any new clues, we might as well help Miss Shayliss with her rodents. Might be good practice, too... I didn't get a chance to try a good ol'-fashioned knife-throwing contest last night", he added with a grin as he pulled out his new knife, flicking it in his hand. "You game, Red?"

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Rico breathes out long and loud and lays a heavy hand on Ameiko's shoulder in what she tries to make a comradely gesture. For a good, long while she just stands beside the barkeep, arm around the woman she'd considered a second mother for seven years of her life.

Rico simply stares into space, muttering, "Keep, dun' worry. Them young folk just... sometimes need ta find their own path, eh? Ha-ha-ha, says one who ain't yet to reach her first full score. Hrhmm. Aye. Izz just... a chore. I'm... cleaning up. HOPEFULLY. Making sure. Family's family, yeah? And if we find him, we'll be sure to let ye know as well."

But when Ameiko says her piece on Whisper, Rico can't help but stiffen and she has to force herself to loosen up and let go of the innkeeper lest she break her. The scarred halforc stalks off a few steps, hands crossed behind her back. She pauses to look back, her face stony, then runs a hand through her hair. She stops at the doorway, leaning, sighing.

"Feeling same way nuthing." she snarls, then softens. "I just... don't want enemies who aren't either in a dungeon or in the morgue. Ye get wot I means, though, right?"

For once, the otherwise ever-ready Rico is left dumbstruck, mouth champing uselessly, hands gesturing emptily. Her brow furrows deeply and her face flushes almost as much as it would in the throes of battle-lust. "Huh-who-whaaah-how?! What're you implying? Gehk--- I--- she, whah... shiiiiaaaaa..."

A heavy palm slaps her own forehead, then scratches her head furiously. "I... it was... was... KAGH!"

Massaging her temples, she deliberately throws back on her standard scowl and says blandly, "I have yet to tell her. No, I don't want to hurt her feelings. My gut tells me, though, that she'll be knowing before too long."

Face buried in her hands, Rico forces out a jest and says, "Keep, what'll ye say iffen I burn through the old man's inheritance and buy out ALL yer stocks of Slayer? To spare others the stupidity of what I put meself through?"

Rico snorts once more and stomps out the door. Past the Rusty's threshold, she stops, clamps on her wide-brimmed black hat and flashes a brief smile at Ameiko. "Thanks Keep. Fer... the lot."

~~~

Rico, shoulders hunched, face set in a scowl, strolls through her town, making for the market. Eyes and ears and nose peel for any snatchers or pickpockets or other threats.

She allows herself a twitch of a grin at the sight of Red, then quells it quickly on seeing Cipriano. Knowing that nobody likes being snuck up on, she stomps her ironshod boots as she strides, feeling somewhat strange in her old master's shoes, since her own heavies are still in lockup at the barracks.

"Mawnin', y'all", she grunts. "Anythin' the problem 'ere?"
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-02-25 at 02:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Red gives a firm shake of her head, not budging from her spot at the top of the stairs. What kind of shopkeeper's daughter couldn't move her own corn sacks and catch her own rats? That was just dumb. She'd helped Rathi with the heavy lifting at the monastery whenever the supplies came in, no problem, and she'd been only thirteen or so. Shayliss had just being spoilt by her dad because he was one of the richer people in Sandpoint. It wasn't fair.

She examines her own callused hands and sighs quietly to herself, rubbing an old burn scar on her finger. Still. It must be nice to have pretty hands that people liked to hold. Maybe she ought to invest in a pair of gloves sometime. But that would make it harder to feel the weight and heft of her kukris while fighting, and that was something she couldn't afford. Not in her line of work at any rate.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Barbarian in the Playground

All charm seems to leave Mandraiv's face. His expression becomes very grim, and one can suddenly see the strong resemblance to his uncle. He looks Aldern in the eye, "You seem like a nice young man, so I will give you a word of warning: The duty of a noble is to protect the people. You seem to lack the skills to do so, so I am willing to overlook your shortcomings. I am sure my uncle Lonjiku feels the same. But my uncle takes honor and duty very seriously. If you insist on claiming honor you did not earn, you may find yourself on the wrong side of a duel with a master swordsman. I strongly suggest you take the pugilist up on his offer, so that next time you can do your duty. It is better to die than to be a coward." Mandraiv Kaijitsu turns before the foolish young noble can respond, and walks off.
    Lord Havelock Vetinari Avatar by AlfredAmeoba.
    "A sense of terrifying admiration overcame him.
    He wondered what it was like in the Patrician's mind. All cold and shiny, he thought, all blued steel and icicles and little wheels clicking along like a huge clock. The kind of mind that would carefully consider its own downfall and turn it to advantage." "Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don't seem to have the knack."-Terry Pratchett

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

Cipriano's smile died a little when he noticed Red looking so stricken at the doorway, looking at her own hands. The young cleric frowned and looked at the red-headed swordstress... and then at the red-headed shopkeep's daughter.

Oh.

Cipriano, sometimes you can be such a daft fool.

"Or... mayhaps we best get on with the goblin business. That's the more pressin' concern by a long shot. Maybe if we've more time later on we can take a gander at them vermin", the young cleric offered, sheathing his blade. "The rats, I mean."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Rico coughs loudly from the sidelines
    Smelling of wood and work and not of wines
    Hardly winded from her jog to the market
    Her glare is sharp, her pits are wet

She meets Red's eyes and gives a single, meaningful nod.

She then barks, "Aye. The goblin business, indeed. You, talky-man! Listen to Ironballs' wisdom, right the frigg there. You, girl sailorsbreath. Just get a bigger stick. Lookit yon bounty hunter there. She kills things fer a livin' an' she's here fer a vacation. Yew savvy? Both of ye friggers, shape up or ship out... an' since this IS yer HOME..."

Rico leaves her statement hanging, flips out her notebook and returns it to its pocket. "Ladies an' gents, I do believe we've a hunt afoot. Rats, we can mop up later... or ARE these the sort of rats that the goblins breed and ride? If so, then THAT"S a whole different verdict..."

She then rounds upon Shayliss, growling, "Vinder, Shayliss. REPORT. True size of these friggen rats? Normal domestic or dangerously mutated?"

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Hearing the rather explosive argument, Setsuna sighs inwardly, family shouldn't fight, do they not know how little time they might have together?

As Cirpriano tries to politely get rid of Aldern, Setsuna turns to Shayliss, "Could you not request your father's aid in clearing out the rodents?" she asks with a polite smile. Her smile is cut short however, as she notices Red's upset appearance just as Mandraiv takes Aldern away for a private conversation.

Before she can say anything else, Rico's sudden appearance throws her off guard.
    Last edited by Desril; 2013-02-25 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Missed a previous line, omitted a section.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

Cipriano actually managed to look guilty at having not greeted Rico. "Sorry, Rico. Didn't see you there. Meant no disrespect, in any case."

"Besides this talk of rats? Nothin' special. You was right about that goblin halberd though. Common iron, got a few coin for it. I think Sirus's got the money, thought we'd wait for you before... divvying, is that the proper nautical term?"

"Oh, and your local mistress-at-arms? Mistress Bevaniky? She seem t' be in high spirits today", he added with a smile, thinking that the obvious weapon afficianado like Rico might appreciate the news. "Gave us a one-in-five reduction in price for her wares. Thought you might wanna hear that."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus stares with the usual lack of expression as the situation dissolves around him in a myriad different conversations. And small scenes.People were like that. Seduced, hurt, impatient, remorseful. He should know.

"I don't think. That hunting rats. Requires six people.

Also. There are goblins. That somehow sneaked into. A guarded town. Sometime today. We must learn. What happened. Because. I believe. That it is. Not over.

Perhaps. We should. Finish our business here. And meet the sheriff. Offer our. Expertise.To that effect. Can anyone enlighten me. Whether there is an arcanist. In this town?"

Sirus seems ready to leave. Suddenly, his poise changes and he seems to solidify under his garment, becoming rooted and very intense.

"Excuse me. Ms Ameiko. Your brother. Is a half elf? And he has been. Missing? Adventurous in the past. You said?"

Sirus' gaze, expressionless and unaggressive, is nevertheless intense enough to push through stones, as he waits for an answer.

Spoiler
    Show
    The arcanist is about Sirus' damaged vest. He wants to ask whether it can be fixed here. I also hope I do not see hints where there are none!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

finishing up at the Rusty Dragon - Rico

"Of course, I get you," says Ameiko, slightly startled by your vehemence at her mention of Whisper. "I meant if you still felt like apologizing, that is. I mean, it's hardly a habit of yours - I just figured... y'know. That maybe it took a load of courage to make this thing." She indicates the little carving of Whisper on the bartop before picking it up and dropping it into her apron pocket with a little shrug. "Still, if you really rather not have it around..."

Your reaction to her mention of Red perplexes poor Ameiko even more and causes her to take a step back. "Easy there, constable," she says warily. "Implying absolutely nothing there. Meant exactly what I said. She's your friend, after all - she'd want to know. She does worry about you, you know."

"Won't say no to you buying up all the Slayer stock if that's what you really want, but what exactly would you do with all of it? Pour it out? That's a good waste of alky right there." Ameiko tries a grin in response to your joke. "Go for a walk. Think about it. Then tell me again tonight if you're serious."

She watches you go with a faint crease on her brow, rubbing at an invisible stain on the bartop with a rag.

Mandraiv

If Aldern looked crushed by Shayliss's snubbing, your words seem to grind him down even further and he actually visibly crumples - his shoulders sagging and his head bowed.

"Y-yes. I suppose you are right," he mutters sadly to himself. "I ought to gain the strength I need to protect others... and myself. Oughtn't I? Stop being a coward..."

At this point, one of his manservants steps up. "Master," he says in a firm tone. "We must be going. There is a long day of riding ahead of us."

Aldern simply nods dully in response to the manservant's reminder, glancing over in Sirus' direction.

Everyone else

Shayliss shoots a dirty look in Rico's direction, taking note of her lack of watchman uniform. "They're your reg'lar fat store rats. What kinda question is that? You think I don't know the difference between a goblin dog and a rat? What am I - friggen eight years old? Ugh. Bigger stick, my foot."

Turning away from Rico, Shayliss grins at Cipriano and Mandraiv, slipping a thin willow switch out of her skirt belt. "Welp - I guess I'm on my own then. Won't say no to a spot of help if either of you've got the time later on though. Just be careful how you find me, hear? Wouldn't want me dad to think I'm up to no good either - I swear. He's so het up over Kat these days that he can hardly think of anything else." She jerks a thumb over her shoulder at the store door. "He oughta be done jawing about with mam by now though, so if you've a mind to do your shopping, better get to it. Before someone else reminds him about Kat. See you about, Mandy. You too, mister priest."

As Shayliss disappears around the corner, swinging her stick, Aldern plucks up the courage to approach your group again, wringing his hands nervously.

"I've just been reminded... I've got to get on with my hunting. Have to meet Sir Valdemar over at Tickwood within the hour. I'm so sorry to have delayed all of you. And Master Scarletti..." Aldern stands before Sirus and gives him a deep bow. "Your young friend there... he's shaken some sense back into me. I bid you farewell for now. But if we should meet again, I hope to have gained strength worthy of your respect."

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Upon seeing Rico, Red's eyes light up and she immediately descends the stairs, greeting her friend with a touch to the arm. It was good to have Rico around. Rico would talk sense back into everybody.

She glances at Sirus when he speaks, nodding in silent agreement. That was right. Nobody needed six people to go hunt rats. One person could do it, if they were fast enough and the rats fat enough. She ought to know. Not that she'd had rat since she was nine years old.

"Arcanist... Mister Voon sells magic stuff. At the Feathered Serpent. It's just up the road from the... Rusty Dragon. Near the bridge."

The Feathered Serpent. That was right next to the Kitten. Red smiles to herself at the thought. Maybe she ought to drop by and see Kitten if Sirus was going to go shopping. It'd been a while since she'd last been in Sandpoint. He was probably really big by now.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-26 at 02:28 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Face still stormy from a simmering self-directed anger over her loss of control earlier, Rico's snarl of indignation soon turns into a headshaking frown as she watches aggravated commoner and noble get back to their business.

Scowling at Shayliss' back, she then frowns concernedly at Red, hand on her shoulder, then offers one of her still-bandaged hands to help her up quietly returns her arm on arm greeting and asks, "Red? All well on y--- this front? Y... come on up, see? It's... quiet... now."

She then stalks over to the others and says, "She's right. Voon's place. Sirus... go ahead, 'elp yerself. Too many folk about, an' they'd get suspicious, right off. Ironballs, y'might want ta make sure Vinder's girl ain't lyin'."

She fixes her glare at Setsuna and Cipriano, then grunts at Red. "Now... methinks we need ta split, iffen we be questioning certain friggers. We'll be... shopping... at Rynshinn's and Tander's. Clothier's and alchemist's. Both elfbloods matchin' the informant's intel. Check 'em out, make sure they ain't gobbo-connected. An' if y'all stumble on anything else useful, well an' good. Use wotever wiles y'all deem appropriate. Any questions or objections, y'all?"

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Setsuna watches as Foxglove says his goodbyes to Sirus, noting that he hardly glanced to the rest of the group before leaving, and just barely notices Red's smile, wondering idly how often the girl did that without her darker thoughts spoiling it.

I'll have to remember to visit the Feathered Serpent once I have some gold, a few scrolls could be useful, and my wand is getting low on charges.

Meeting Rico's gaze, she wonders what happened to upset the half-orc so much, but puts it out of her mind for now. "I think it is a sound plan, but I do not know the town or the people, I fear I will be able to find out anything on my own." She glances to Red with a friendly smile before facing Rico again, "I was hoping to spend time with Red-san though, and I needed to speak with you once there was time. Perhaps the three of us could go together and investigate each suspect in order, rather than split up? Assuming of course that Scarletti-san, Kaijitsu-san, and Fox-san do not join us," she states the last part as a question with a casual glance toward the other half of the group.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

"My transactions with. Mr. Voon. Will be brief. If anyone would like. To join me. Especially if. You know him. Please do. Afterwards. In very short order. I can help. Question. The possible suspects."

Spoiler
    Show
    Really, I do suggest that the meeting happens off stage so that we can move on, unless the DM has other plans.