New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: IC Knee Deep IV

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default IC Knee Deep IV

As the party of misfit adventurers barely survives a nighttime battle with huge Dire Woves, they continue on throughout the night set to reach the NorthEast Outpost and Hulburg's front with the Giants before dawn....

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Zman; 2013-02-09 at 06:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: IC Knee Deep IV

Natalia closes her eyes and smiles as Miriam's cool touch closes up her wound and fills in much of the missing muscle, though a pink crater of a scar still remains...hopefully only as long as it takes for further healing.

Natalia turns to Mithril and says, "Thank you...magic saved me, saved us...So did Honey..." She shakes her head. "Something happened, with the dagger. Burning and numb, killed the wolf, tried to kill my arm. Like Kurt's axe from the orc, almost." She clutches her hair. "Can't say it, can't make words right! But...but can think it, know it..."

Spoiler
    Show
    If Mithril casts Detect Thoughts on Natalia, she can tell and show her exactly what happened.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny smiles tiredly as he rides, spurring his pony to catch up to Kurt. The curse, the ressurection, and the battle all weigh on him, and traces show through his facade. "Where will you go once we reach the fort, Kurt Killready?"
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

4. - Top - End - #4

Valen rides along quietly, awaiting Kurt's response to Shiny. He too is curious as to the Dwarves intentins. As he rides he runs the battle with the Dire Wolves through his head, retracing the words which sent a searing jet of flame out of his finger tips. The magics of his being we're growing, the thought simply manifests as a wry smile.

5. - Top - End - #5

Mithril spent most of the rest of the trip stroking Honey's mane. The horse's bravery had saved her life. Dropping to the back of the group so as not to be seen she practiced the motions of her spells. If I could cast from here then I would be safer, and of more use to the group.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt glances at Shiny, his face set in something of a grimace anyway, making it impossible to tell whether he's angry about the question or just in pain. "I will go where the party goes. But I think the party should help defend it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

As Natalia's weapon acts strangely, Miriam opens her mouth and is ready to preach but she stops. "They don't need my preaching. They need to learn by failing the way I learned."

She heals who ever needs healing and stay silent.

When Kurt answers Shiny's question, her heart gets squeezed. "He sees the way I see yet is willing to do whatever it takes to help his friend. Why can't I be as good as a person as he is?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

8. - Top - End - #8

As Natalia stares at the dagger, Max's story comes to mind. The elf with the staff, blown up in his face. She suddenly sees herself in that position, her dead on the ground, her arm charred and blackened, adamantine shrapnel in her chest while her friends lie wounded around her.

She shudders and puts the dagger deep in her pack, hunching over Rust as she grips his reins. Some part of her wonders if the others notice, or if they'll ask her why she's suddenly so scared, why she rubs and clenches her arm as if trying to memorize its shape. But of course they'd ask, if they cared about her. That's what friends do...right?

At least, what's what Natalia's heard, what impression she's gotten from watching others...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Kurt glances at Shiny, his face set in something of a grimace anyway, making it impossible to tell whether he's angry about the question or just in pain. "I will go where the party goes. But I think the party should help defend it."
    As he rides, Shiny taps his hands together a few times, puts his right finger to his lips, and then points at Kurt. When he starts speaking again, it is in a soft tone that only the dwarf can hear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Message targeting Kurt. (As mentioned earlier, Shiny pulled up to ride alongside Kurt, but like his speech with Miriam he doesn't feel like involving others.).

"Sorry for the spell- I didn't want to make the others uncomfortable, especially our cipher-tongued friend. This gives us a bit of privacy."

"I'm sure you know what we lost when we were brought back- reversing death is no trivial ordeal. And you know that we wouldn't be here if it weren't for Natalia's generous contribution- thousands of pieces of gold worth, given to each of us. Did you know she sold her bird, just to see us again?"
    Shiny seems genuinely touched.

"I don't know about you, but she hasn't said a word about the debt to me. But then she never was the best at expressing herself." Shiny turns a bit red about talking about her while she's only a few yards away, even though he knows the spell makes it impossible for her to hear. "And anyway, that's the kind of person she is- always wanting what is best for the group and the mission."

"But that's not our decision to make, and just because she hasn't presssed the debt doesn't absolve us of it. This mission- acquiring this item from the giants- will grant us nearly two thousand gold pieces each- enough to give her back what we owe her in a single week's work. (You've seen what the government in Hulburg offers by way of reward, and you know it pales in comparison)."

"And beyond the debt- think what that gold will do in the hands of our party. You know Natalia will spend it on what's best for the group, for the mission, for the outpost. Heck, if we gave her that gold right now there's every chance she'd use it to buy you a brand new axe, just to replace the one you lost. Or she'll spend it on traps, enough to give us the edge when we defend against the oncoming ogre horde. And Miriam- every copper piece will go to orphans, widows... a nobler cause could not be found."

"But all that is almost beside the point. The fact is that we owe our very existence to Natalia. Let's repay our debt."

Current Map

10. - Top - End - #10

Mithril continued making the gestures of her spells in the back of the group. She was starting to work up the courage to try an actual spell... but what. She decided to start small since it was getting dark. She started the phrases needed to call light into existence. Then as she spoke she removed her right hand from the reins, making the gesture of pulling something from an imaginary bag to her side. As four orbs of light moved into her view she let go of the reins entirely.

"YES!" Noticing her sudden cry had drawn the attention of others in the group she quickly wiped out the lights, hiding her red face in the darkness. Whiskers shifted in front of her "Bright hurt."

11. - Top - End - #11

Natalia looks up curiously when she sees Shiny's lips moving out of the corner of her eye, but looks back down when she can't hear anything. Her thoughts travel back to the dagger. Part of her wants to get rid of it straight away. Part of her wants to keep it and use it for emergencies. Most of her wants to figure out what happened...from a safe distance, of course. If the dagger started breaking down when she used it and spent decades in stasis in Alabaster's abode, then it should probably stay safe as long as she doesn't use it. And if not...

Well, then she'd just have to warn everyone away from her, wouldn't she. Natalia's not exactly suicidal, but...well, honestly, how much could someone like her possibly be worth? What value does she have that isn't exceeded by the others in the group, by nearly anyone else?

Spoiler
    Show
    Years and years of "slow" and "nuts" and "the strange one" and being treated as an afterthought will get to anyone. Ruby triggered some stuff she's been trying and failing to bury. Also, I figure this would be a good way to explain her quietness from now on to other people. Of course, it could go either way depending on how PCs and NPCs treat her. Basically, Natalia's fragile like Miriam, but in different ways. Part of her yelling earlier was asserting it to herself.

Mithril's shout startles Natalia out of her brooding for a moment and she nearly tips over. "W-what?" she asks, turning around. "Found something free? What workings?" Her voice sounds even more scattered and distracted than usual.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt lets the horse walk along on its own head for a time, seeming to weigh up Shiny's words as best he can. "It is...easy, to always think of the long term, sometimes, and say what we can do tomorrow." He says no more for a minute, hushing Shiny if he tries to interrupt his thoughts, frowning at the darkness.

"But in the end we're all dead. We have to do what we can now, not later. Natalia deserves to be repaid, and will be. This way is...faster, I suppose. But I wonder about the fastest way, Shiny. Fast and easy, that's what landed me here, far away from my home."

He still hasn't clearly said anything, though, seeming to be slowly settling his own internal debates with the monologue, as he rides on in silence for another while.

I will go with you, because you are my friends, and I have debts it might help pay, but I will not pretend to like it. I don't think it's the best thing I could do with my...talents, as they are. Maybe you are right, though. I can't answer the question of whether or not it's right for me to go with you - I can only say that I will. That will have to be enough, my friend."

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny nods in understanding, glancing over at Kurt with a sympathetic nod, and dismisses the spell. He then slows down his pony to go back to his usual position in the march.

Current Map

14. - Top - End - #14

The Northeastern Outpost

The party travel, as dawn approaches the group can see the solid stone outpost ahead of them. Even early the outpost is busy with activity. More men than before line the battlements, bows and crossbows stationed at the ready along the battlements, each with a quiver full of arrows and quarrels. The flag of Hulburg wave at each corner, with one at the top of the center tower beating proudly in the wind. Four small catapults are arrayed in the courtyard, bolders and oil balls stacked at the ready. A smattering of Ballistas arm the walls, fortified for siege warfare. The compliment of the outpost has grown, maybe three or four score men.

Both the primary and secondary gates are maned, basic precautions ready for any who attempt to storm the gates. A dozen horse are tended in the stables, chain barding at the ready, each with a lance at hand.

In but a few days the Norheastern outpost of Hulburg has made herself ready for war, a war with a Hill Giant tribe of the Galena Mountains.

15. - Top - End - #15

Natalia blinks. Their band of six seems motley and scraggly in comparison. She turns to Kurt and murmurs, "...Could be fine without us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah well, we've got to sleep anyway, so we'll get a better look at the internal stuff and morale then! They'll probably have a masterwork short sword/rapier/dagger/light weapon; I'm not too concerned about that.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-02-11 at 10:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt glances up tiredly, his eyes quite sunken at this stage. "Who knows, Natalia? Not even the gods, I think." His voice trails off as his eyes return to his horse's neck.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

"...Sleep first then," Natalia mutters, worried about Kurt's state. "And...Learn more about inner strength than outer shell."

If Kurt needs help getting inside, Natalia gives it.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-02-11 at 11:38 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Mithril walked Honey to the stables, ignoring any offers to help her brush down and prepare her horse for the night. When she was done she pulled one of the stable workers aside. "Please keep people away from my horse. The man I bought her from said she was prone to biting those around her, and while she has always behaved for me, I fear she will not get along so well with others."

Spoiler
    Show
    I have decided to base my descriptions of Honey off of Peachblossom from the Protector of the Small series

19. - Top - End - #19

Natalia leads Rust to the stables as well, and helps Kurt with his horse if he needs it. She turns to Mithril and, with a swallow says, "Need to talk...about dagger, something..." She shakes her head.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks at the siege preparation "War is coming. Warriors will be needed. Wizards will be needed. Cunning will be needed. Healing will be needed."

She says the rest in her head "and instead we will be trying to steal a stone because it is what is important to the majority of the group."

She brings her borrowed horse to the stables before finding a place to crash in the hay. She looks at Kurt and Shiny "I will remove your curse tomorrow and then we can go find the stone that Shiny so desperately wants to find to keep his side of a contract."

She goes to sleep, disgusted with herself but knowing that helping the group is what really matters.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt stretches and sighs, finding a dry spot to sleep and immediately throwing himself down, barely pausing to take off his armour.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Northeastern Outpost

As the hint of dawns light begins to crest the countryside, the group of adventurers begins to rest for the night. The group stables their horses, Hiney is given a wide breadth, as is cusommary for warhorses.

The group is so exhausted that they take little care and sleep in piled mounds in the stables, knowing full well that with this compliment of soldiers the barracks is already full.

As the group awakes, just past mid day to a stable boy scraping muck from a neighboring stall, both Shiny and Kurt look much better, as if the mysterious affliction has left their bodies.

Spoiler
    Show

Spent 24 hrs advancing the quest, Geas Penalties removed until 24hr is spent opposing the Geas Quest.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny springs to his feet the moment he awakens, newly energized. "Up and at 'em, warriors, the mission awaits!"

As the others arise and prepare themselves, he lays out the information contained in the letter from R, and starts to meditate on a plan.

Spoiler
    Show

Shiny is looking at what is described in this post.

Once the others are awake, he calls them over. His eyes are narrowed, his usual goofy affectations abandoned for his new role as the mastermind.

"The camp can be safely approached from the North, by scaling this steep cliff- the guard is far weaker there. I don't know whether we can all make it up the cliff- but I know how one of us can."

"My plan relies on a combination of three spells- one gives the power to climb with the ease and grace of a spider, one grants invisibility to the eye, and another establishes an area of complete silence around a person. (The latter two would be even more effective if lent greater longevity, through that useful rod of yours)."
    Shiny nods to Valen. "With that combination, one of us can easily infiltrate the camp and retrieve the item from the hoard. I think there is little doubt that infiltrator should be Natalia Nonoise, the sneakiest and craftiest of all of us."

"The rest of the party will be on the other side, crafting a diversion to draw the guard away from the hoard. One the item is acquired, we can retreat, perhaps covering our escape with a spell of obscuring mist."

"There are further details to cover. But are we agreed on the approach?"
    Last edited by Admiral; 2013-02-12 at 11:34 AM.

Current Map

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

After praying to St. Cuthbert, Miriam removes the curse from both Shiny and Kurt.

"You lead the way." she says to the gnome as she waits for the group decision.

She makes no comments on the plan. Her face shows her displeasure with the idea but she has given her word to Shiny.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing like using my best two spells to remove the curse.

Even if they do not show the symptoms, Miriam does not really understand how the curse works so she decided to just remove it.
    Last edited by achinca; 2013-02-12 at 11:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Valen nods at Shiny, "What of this place and it's brave souls?" though he agrees, he is drawn to defend such an place against the magnitude of the force raised against it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

As Shiny speaks, he stares down at the maps, his mind whirring almost visibly. Finally looks back up. "On second thought," he says reluctantly, perhaps it should be me to infiltrate the camp."

He starts to enumerate his reasons on his long, slender fingers.

"I have a spell that gives me supernatural speed- letting me get in and out faster, and better evade the giants in the event of discovery. If the invisibility runs out, I can recast it. If I need to get guards out of my way without alerting them of my presence, I can do so with an illusion- a noise, or an image of an intruder. I have another spell that can open any locked door or chest in mere seconds. And once the deed is complete, I can signal the rest of you with a spell of dancing lights."

He takes a deep breath. "But beyond all those reasons... We're on this quest because of me, and it's time for me to take responsibility." He gives a guilty glance towards Miriam. "It is right that I bear the risk."

Current Map

27. - Top - End - #27

Valen begins to nod, pauses and stares at the gnome, "An unusually sensible suggestion. What shall the rest of us do whilst you slip sight unseen sound unheard? A distraction against such foes may prove our end."

28. - Top - End - #28

Stables

As the group discusses their plan, the young stable boy continues to muck the stalls, pretending not to notice their conversation.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    Valen begins to nod, pauses and stares at the gnome, "An unusually sensible suggestion. What shall the rest of us do whilst you slip sight unseen sound unheard? A distraction against such foes may prove our end."
    Shiny meditates on this. "Maybe no diversion will prove necessary. Our intelligence suggests there are about six or seven guards, but even if there were six or seven dozen it could still be possible to slip through."

"If a diversion does become necessary, I can send up a signal- a set of glowing colored lights. That would signal you to launch an attack from the south that could draw off the guards. And if I recall correctly, I believe Miriam has a spell of think, dark mist that could cover a retreat."

Current Map

30. - Top - End - #30

Natalia frowns, having returned from getting a shortsword. She pipes in saying, "What if another tracker like before? Escaped vines by reflexes and luck. What if...lose that too?" She shakes her head. "We can't win fights directly...But Shiny, back at boat, false dragons? And the cliff...Spells to slow falls, if we jump?"

She passes him one of the sacks. "Invisible gear, invisible inside."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-02-12 at 12:20 PM.