New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: IC Knee Deep IV

1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IC Knee Deep IV

Quote Originally Posted by athedia View Post
    Mithril sat down and listened in silence. She had forgotten how much she missed Shiny's stories. "But why no stone?"
    Shiny points to the rocks on the ground. "Plenty of stones there," he says evasively. "But look what else I acquired..."

Shiny draws forth two weapons- a scimitar and a dagger, both far more ornate than the mundane knife he'd left the outpost with. "These I will likely sell, but in any case we should probably identify their nature. The same goes for these-" he draws forth two wand and three vials of potions. "This wand gave me a bit of a zap when I held it, but maybe we can narrow it down. The second wand creates complete silence- a spell that saved my life quite handily in the giant's lair! I don't know much about identifying potions, but perhaps you can help. (There used to be four potions, but one of my gambling buddies mistook it for a shot of whiskey. We didn't notice until he started a killer winning streak- turned out the potion had granted him the ability to read our minds!)"
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Listening to Shiny's story intently, hoping to discern any truth in it, "Thank you... He who returns bearing gifts when thought abandoned."
    Valen is rather taken aback by such generosity, it was truly unexpected from the gnome.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Admiral, you did not need to do that!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt just sits down and starts laughing as Shiny's stories go on and on, the first laughter heard from him since the giant's were fended off, his exuberance simply cannot be contained.

"Ah Shiny, I don't even know if they're true or not with these ones, but having you back here with your stories lightens my hear. We are a team my gnomish friend, we should act as one, so we can protect each other when the time comes. The world would lose too much fun if you left it permanently."

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny laughs with his friends. "There'll be plenty of time to fill you in on the details of my journey. For now, we can be happy to be together again." As he says this last part, he squeezes Mithril's hand and gives her a nod, as he can see the pain from her vanished friend.

"And you have much to tell me! Unless I never escaped those rabid dire hippos after all, and we are in fact meeting again in the afterlife, I take it that the defense of the outpost succeeded."

Spoiler
    Show

I think now is a good time to jump ahead and summarize. Shiny has told enough stories for the moment- his current plan is to stretch out the stories of the rest of his journey over the next few days (he's never before had so many secrets to share, stretch, or fabricate).

[QUOTE]Thanks Admiral, you did not need to do that!/QUOTE]

And you didn't have to lend Shiny the rod, especially when there was a chance it would never come back- it's our way of saying thanks .

Current Map

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks at the rocks and nods. "Thanks for your ..... generosity I guess ....."

She smiles as she hears Kurt laughs, a sound she had forgotten.

She listens to Shiny's stories, just nodding as he goes on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt looks around, frowning again now that his mind is brought back to the reality of Natalia's sudden departure.

"I suppose it is time for us to go again, then..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks at the group and lowers her eyes "Natalia's body was not among the 20 heroes who died anonymously while the people in Hulburg sleep safe, ate mouton and drank mead."
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278

"If we spend another day, myself or the Wizardess could discern the nature of these items?" Valen adds, continually fascinated by Shiny's ability to fabricate the truth at will.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

"It's a plan!" said Shiny. "I'll trust these items to your care. For now, I could use more fresher food, and to lie down on something softer than a boulder." Despite his enthusiasm, Shiny's weariness is indeed evident- the gnome clearly was not meant for wilderness survival. More than anything else, the stress of handling the wild on his own, without the support he usually counted on, had taken its toll.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shiny will spend the rest of the day lounging and catching up with the others, hearing about the battle. Though like I said, I'll save most of the stories about his own quest for later.

Current Map

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt blinks, shaking his head and thumping his forehead with the heel of his palm. "Of course, you've been in the wilds travelling...ah, travelling with that group of Gnomes. You must be exhausted...from all your...card playing?" Struggling to remember the details of his latest web of lies, he nods in satisfaction at how that sounds.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281

"Oh of course." Mithril helped find Shiny a comfy spot, putting her own bedroll against the wall if needed. She put Whiskers in his arms, mostly so she could let her shoulder rest from carrying the weasel. "He missed you, we all did." Whiskers cuddled against Shiny's chin a grin almost visible one the small creatures face.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

"I know he did," says Shiny, smiling at the familiar's attention while closing his eyes to rest. "I hope you don't mind, but your empathic link with him seemed so useful that I established one myself. We've been in touch the whole time."

With that, Shiny lays back to sleep, petting the weasel on the head. "He told me he really cares about you."

Current Map

13. - Top - End - #283

Before going to bed, Valen spends hours identifying the items Shiny brought back. He wakes early and continues until hes had a chance to thoroughly study each one.

Spoiler
    Show
    See OOC for details.

14. - Top - End - #284

Morning of the Tenth Day

As the remnants of the party awake and gather for more meager rations, hot rations at least, they discuss their next plan of action.

"Should we return this day? I've had a chance to study these spoils, a solid haul."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam nods at Valen "If Rikul does not need my help here anymore, it would mean that my work here is done and I am ready to go where the group wants to go."
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286

"Well if we are to leave, we should go soon. I doubt our employer will like the news we bring."

17. - Top - End - #287

"Agreed, we'd best be off."

The group, reunited once again with their mischievous companion, sets off on a return trip towards Hulburg on a fine sunny morning...

Spoiler
    Show
    Any haste, or leisurely travel?

18. - Top - End - #288

Road to Hulburg

The group makes their way back to Hulburg, traveling directly, only pausing to rest for the night and eat a swift meal. By noon on the 11th day they can see the northern Gates of Hulburg in the distance...

19. - Top - End - #289

Mithril looked at the small gnome, now comfortably seated on his pony. "So, any idea what you are going to tell our employer? I doubt your story of a night gambling will go over well."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny smiles confidently as he looks over at the wizard. He'd been mostly quiet about his adventures so far.

"Oh, I didn't lose the stone in my night of gambling (though I did lose my affection for gnomish chile- a story for another time!) You see, I reached the giants' camp successfully, running into no adversity except a few centaurs along the way (luckily I knew their only weakness, a spot right above the left hind hoof, so they presented little trouble). When I reached the camp, it was packed with giants and dire wolves, but thanks to my spells, I passed by every guard without them being aware in the slightest of my passing."

"Not everything was so easy, though- turns out the queen giant was using the hoard as a pillow! I couldn't get close without waking her, and once the alarm was set off we were off to the races. Luckily, my familia was nearby."

Shiny points over his shoulder behind the group, where a surreal glowing figure has appeared, acting for all the world as though he'd been following them all along.

"Feel free to introduce yourselves, but know that he's very shy. Anyway, my accomplice was kind enough to distract the giants while I gathered up all the treasure I could. But soon I tired of the usual old treasure, and I started taking a look around for this special stone. A little tinkering and some good old fashioned gnome sense, and I quickly found its hiding place- a compartment, built right into the stone above the treasure!"

"The door was heavy and difficult to move, but luckily I had had a lot of downtime on the way up to the giant's camp, and had spent it almost exclusively doing pushups. A few moments later, I had shoved the huge stone aside, and reached into the compartment- only to find an empty shelf right where the stone should be!"

"So you see, I fulfilled my part of the bargain- it was the intelligence of our employers that was at fault. We'll see how this explanation suits them (since they have little proof, perhaps I should ask you to assure them of my honesty and integrity)."

Spoiler
    Show

Silent Dancing Lights.

Current Map

21. - Top - End - #291

At the last comment Valen laughs to himself, How much of the Gnomes words are false, what hidden truths does he weave into his lies?

22. - Top - End - #292

Mithril sighed, lifting a hand from her reins to rub her forehead. "I will try, I have to admit you have never led me wrong. I will tell what truth I can to help, and leave out your practice of telling stories." Staring at the figure that appeared she narrowed her eyes, this had to be another one of his tricks.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam smiles at the gnome "Beautiful story Shiny. I have no idea what is real and what is fake but if you can convinced whoever hired you, the more power to you."
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294

Gates of Hulburg

As the party nears the gate the are treated by little, no parade, no honors, just another gruff guard or two. The city is a bussel, apparently news of the Giants being repelled had already spread wide, a weight lifted off of the City's inhabitants.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt shakes his head, the whole thing seems like it might be true to him - for all he knows, centaurs do have a weak point like that. In fact, he better remember it, for if he faces some centaurs in the future. Just in case.

Looking around on entering the city he nods in satisfaction. "Seems the battle has helped them, at least."

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam shakes her head "I wish they would show some appreciation for the 20 heroes who died defending them rather than their business as usual and taking their defense for granted."

The sourness in her tone of voice is quite obvious.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt edges his pony over far enough to pat the small of her back awkwardly. "The soldier's fought so they could continue this way. This is what they aimed for."

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam smiles at Kurt "I guess. But it would be nice for Hulburg to remember them. They were the real heroes, not the mages than came and went."
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt nods. "I can't make them remember that - but you could always ask Shiny..." Glancing over at the gnome, hoping he doesn't get any bright ideas.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam shakes her head "I do not thrust the gnome. He will create more trouble than we need."
    Spoiler
    Show