Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Planets of Magic (Spelljammer, PEACH) - Now with 50% More Lycanthropy!

Planets of Magic

Recent Edit: Just finished an article on Lycanthropy in Planets of Magic; probably won't get added to the main index until I do articles on a few other worlds, but it's in the links below.

Planets of Magic is a fantasy universe spread across multiple worlds, in a manner reminiscent of Spelljammer. Hundreds of years ago, Dwarven ships spread humans throughout the starves, using the primitive race as slave labor in their mining camps during the Clan Wars. In the centuries since, humans have developed and returned to the stars on their own terms, taking numerous alien species with them - some of whom now threaten human domination of the cosmos.

Today, nations and private enterprises spar for control over the resources of the cosmos, their conflicts and explorations fueled by an ever-advancing understanding of magical theory. The greatest minds of entire planets take to the stars to seek each other out in universities, shipyards and enchanteries, where their discoveries put more and more powerful magics into the hands of those seeking to explore and control the skies.

The bravest explorers take their ships into the denser regions at the center of the cosmos, where the stars are so close and so many that even sunless worlds blaze as bright as day. Some of these explorers return with powerful artifacts from forgotten civilizations; others return mad, or not at all.

Meanwhile, at the very edges of space, dark Chaos Gods brood within vast nebulae, while from the very center of the universe even older forces watch and manipulate the growth of the mortal races, waiting for the day that they advance enough to take their place in the unending conflict that has defined the universe itself.

Planets of Magic includes:

• A detailed magic system, based heavily in real-world science.
    • All of the most common races and monsters of D&D, altered and adapted for the galactic scale.
    • Myriad planets and cultures, each with their own unique flavor and interests.
    • A rich and complex history, running from thousands of years before the rise of the oldest modern races and including two galaxy-spanning wars, with innumerable smaller conflicts woven in between.
    • An unapologetically high-magic setting, with the strength and stability of local magic making the difference between wealthy civilizations with all the conveniences of modern technology, and primitive backwaters where survival in the face of nature remains a challenge by itself.
    • A unique take on magical war, with enchanted objects and mages providing many of the advances of modern warfare in terms of strategic options, even as the bulk of actual fighting is carried out with medieval weaponry.

The main index can be found below; Below that is a list of links to the more interesting or robust articles, added as I complete them. This setting is very much a work in progress, and I'm collated and organized only a fraction of the material I've created. Comments, positive or negative, are very welcome.

Planets of Magic - Main Index

So far, the published materials include:

• An overview of the major and minor factions.
    • Preliminary articles on each of the sentient races.
    • Bare-Bones Timeline
    • Full article on Dajerbyjul, a highly volcanic planet, sort of a cross between Arabic and Italian Renaissance culture.
    • WIP Article on Ogtheria - Vampire-run planet, former seat of a major empire, now deep in decline.
    • Magical Theory
    • Schools of Magic
    • Lycanthropy

Don't feel like you have to read the entire thing - there's a lot to it, and I certainly wouldn't want to read over all of it in one sitting. However, I really do want to know what people think of this, so if you could read and review at least a little bit, I'll be very grateful.

This is my first time sharing a world-building project beyond my own friends and family, so anything you have to say - negative or positive - is appreciated. Even if all you have is complaints about the layout, presentation or writing style, I'll appreciate it.
    Last edited by FreakyCheeseMan; 2013-02-19 at 01:28 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Planets of Magic (WIP, PEACH)

Added WIP article on Ogtheria. It doesn't have the more recent history (Since the start of the Liberation Wars), but it should give some context for the older stuff, and the planet has an interesting history by itself.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Planets of Magic (WIP, PEACH) - Schools of Magic

Added Schools of Magic and Magical Theory

Magical Theory covers the actual description of what magic is, where it comes from and what it takes to use it. Magic in my system is highly tied to the concept of Entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

The "Schools of Magic" article ties that one to the actual effects casters can create - fire/lightning/healing/gravitational fields, etc, and a little bit about how these will work in gameplay.

If you like strictly-defined or sciency magical systems, give these a read.
    Last edited by FreakyCheeseMan; 2013-02-13 at 03:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Planets of Magic

So, it is essentially a spelljammer setting?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Planets of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Geringer View Post
    So, it is essentially a spelljammer setting?
    Yes, although I hadn't heard about spelljammer when I started.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Planets of Magic (Spelljammer, PEACH)

I think the thing turning people off might be the sci-fi feel what almost everything else on these boards is fantasy. That's a shame, because you've clearly put alot of effort into this and it seems good to me from what little I've read (up to the factions at the moment).
    Hero of Oakvale, Reach, Installation 00, The Black Family Estate, Malta, Atlantis, Brightwall, Lumbridge, Mom's Basement, Bowerstone, Falconreach, Battleon, Korthos Village, WW3, WW2, Pacific City, The Ark, Arkham City, Varrock, The Dwarvern Mines, the Warsworn, Aleroth, Canneroc, the Companions, the Dark Brotherhood, Whiterun, Skyrim, Tamriel, Korriban, the Rebel Alliance, and gods only know what else.

Proud owner of:
    2 Cookies

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    I think the thing turning people off might be the sci-fi feel what almost everything else on these boards is fantasy. That's a shame, because you've clearly put alot of effort into this and it seems good to me from what little I've read (up to the factions at the moment).
    Thanks, that makes some sense. It is sort of a weird sci-fi/fantasy thing, even though there's next to no actual technology (Rifles are as far as anyone's gotten.)

Let me know if you have any thoughts on the rest?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

another thing that may be turning people of is that the re is no good summary in the first post, you just link right to an index without an intro.

You should expand the first post to give a more friendly intro, saying what is special about the setting, besides a simple "star trek with magic nstead of technology"

For example, the fact that humanity spread a trough space by being the favored slave-labor of the dwarves is a differential for the setting and yet it is only mentioned as a footnote in the dwarven entry. the "dwarven age" does not mention slavery, only that the dwarfs "seeded" humans.

I will take a deeper look and share my thoughts. later tomorrow

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

another thing that may be turning people of is that the re is no good summary in the first post, you just link right to an index without an intro.

You should expand the first post to give a more friendly intro, saying what is special about the setting, besides a simple "star trek with magic nstead of technology"

For example, the fact that humanity spread a trough space by being the favored slave-labor of the dwarves is a differential for the setting and yet it is only mentioned as a footnote in the dwarven entry. the "dwarven age" does not mention slavery, only that the dwarfs "seeded" humans.

I will take a deeper look and share my thoughts. later tomorrow
    Thanks for the advice - re-did the main post. Better now?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

The spell casting if quite well explained, and you've drawn a good line between spells and enchantments. The factions seem varied and all have their own history, however I think I need to know more about the technology to really get a grasp in the setting.
    Hero of Oakvale, Reach, Installation 00, The Black Family Estate, Malta, Atlantis, Brightwall, Lumbridge, Mom's Basement, Bowerstone, Falconreach, Battleon, Korthos Village, WW3, WW2, Pacific City, The Ark, Arkham City, Varrock, The Dwarvern Mines, the Warsworn, Aleroth, Canneroc, the Companions, the Dark Brotherhood, Whiterun, Skyrim, Tamriel, Korriban, the Rebel Alliance, and gods only know what else.

Proud owner of:
    2 Cookies

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The spell casting if quite well explained, and you've drawn a good line between spells and enchantments. The factions seem varied and all have their own history, however I think I need to know more about the technology to really get a grasp in the setting.
    I'll add a bit on it, but it's next-to nonexistent. A few planets build rifles, but past that, everything's done with magic.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FreakyCheeseMan View Post
    Thanks for the advice - re-did the main post. Better now?
    Much better

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like it, you wrote quite a lot and it is well organized.

You did well putting your own spin in the standard races too.

I specially liked how you organized the magic system. I would recomend it as a read to people interested in fantasy and sci-fi or in spelljammer

what kind of adventures do you have in mind for the setting?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

what kind of adventures do you have in mind for the setting?
    I have a number of different ways players can get involved with this setting - listing a sampling here.

To support lazy modular adventures, there's a faction known as The Middlemen - they basically exist as adventuring subcontractors. Factions want things done (and they don't always want the world to know that it's them that want the things done), they pay the Middlemen, the Middlemen take a cut, work it out with the local adventurers. Middlemen are also responsible for posting and collecting bounties, so it pays to keep them on your side.

Those types of jobs would include a lot of involvement in the shadow war - sabotaging operations, stealing prototype whips or enchantments, protecting installations from attack, attacking other installations, etc.

For more independent wealth-seeking, there's a lot of piracy and salvage operations, or exploration of planets towards the core. The latter includes a lot of worlds with populations of undead, insane fey, constructs, etc; I've been working on a race of sentient humanoid monsters, but I haven't come up with one yet.

There are also opportunities for more significant work or do-goodery, but those are rarely clear-cut. For instance, there is a general resistance movement against the exploitation of poorer planets by the major factions. This resistance is well-intentioned, and the major factions do some bad stuff on colony worlds; however, the resistance also has a brutality born of desperation. So, players could align themselves as freedom fighters and try to throw off the corporate yolk from assorted planets, or they could decide that the resistance are just terrorists, and work to protect against them.

At least one planet is in the throes of a major lycanthropy epidemic - the human population has retreated to a handful of city states, while the numerous lycanthrope tribes live in the wilds. Some of the lycanthropes raid the cities for food and supplies; the cities respond by sending out hunting parties, who tend to be indiscriminate in their killing. So, again, players could go either way - some might decide that the lycanthropes right to life is more valuable than the stability of the city - states, and work to fight the hunting patrols or even the cities themselves. Other players might decide that the Lycanthropes are a lost cause anyway, while the cities actually have a chance of a good future.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

The lycanthropy intrigues me. How is it spread, what are it's effects, is there a cure? I wish to know more.

Proud owner of:
    2 Cookies

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

The lycanthropy intrigues me. How is it spread, what are it's effects, is there a cure? I wish to know more.
    Your wish is granted.

Short version: Lycanthropy is were-wolfism, only for more creatures than just wolves. On most planets, it's a pretty rare thing, with occasional infections in a community and one or two were-creature packs in the wilderness. On one planet, Theese, it's spread to a full-blown epidemic, and has actually defined most of the history and civilization of the planet. No cure as of yet.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Planets of Magic (Spelljammer, PEACH) - Now with 50% More Lycanthropy!

Pure strain lycanthropes sound scary. I wouldn't want to meet one of them in a dark alley. Or anywhere, really. Combining vampirism and lycanthropy through research is a nice touch, and you really worked lots of science explanation into lycanthropy, and got rid of the full moon thing. Overall, pretty good, however, which kind of lycanthrope is the kind that attacks human settlements, or do both do so?

Proud owner of:
    2 Cookies

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Planets of Magic (Spelljammer, PEACH) - Now with 50% More Lycanthropy!

Pure strain lycanthropes sound scary. I wouldn't want to meet one of them in a dark alley. Or anywhere, really. Combining vampirism and lycanthropy through research is a nice touch, and you really worked lots of science explanation into lycanthropy, and got rid of the full moon thing. Overall, pretty good, however, which kind of lycanthrope is the kind that attacks human settlements, or do both do so?
    For the most part, pure-strain lycanthropes are solitary creatures, and act a lot like the base animal. They're more aggressive and less scared of humans, so they're more likely to consider humans prey than normal animals, but on the whole, they keep to themselves.

Human lycanthropes are the real threat. Their populations tend to be much higher- as so many fewer die from the disease - and they aren't as well-adapted to living as pure animals. So, they sort of end up in an uncomfortable between state, too human to survive as animals, too animal to really function in society.

Organized attacks and raids by lycanthropes are rare on every planet except Theese, where lycanthropes form barbarian tribes outside of the walled city-states.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, ok. I understand now. Thanks.
    Last edited by Doomchicken; 2013-02-19 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Typo

Proud owner of:
    2 Cookies

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, ok. I understand now. Thanks.
    No problem - if there's anything else I should be expanding on, let me know. Otherwise... sometime soon I should really get around to writing up all of the timeline.

It is a very long timeline.

*Shudders*

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

How long, may I ask?

Proud owner of:
    2 Cookies

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

How long, may I ask?
    In terms of years? Haven't really decided, but my placeholder number is 50,000 years. Not much was happening for a lot of that, though; planetary histories go back a couple of thousand years, and interplanetary history is only a couple of centuries.

Problem is, a lot of those time periods are crowded, and I still have some decisions to make regarding the latter sections. Right now, there are... *counts*

Ten. Ten eras, each with their own histories and events.

Old Society & Cataclysm
    Chaos Wars
    Dead Years
    Clan Wars
    Planetary Development
    Subjugation Wars
    Liberation Wars
    Inter-Bellum Period
    Exodus Crusade
    Modern Era

The first three I haven't really fleshed out, but I don't need to - they're meant to be mysterious and apocraphal.

The Clan Wars need some more development, especially to make the Dwarves make sense.

Planetary Development is really a planet-by-planet thing, but I have the important events figured out.

Subjugation and Liberation wars need fleshing out, but I know the general story.

Inter-Bellum Period... needs work. There's about a hundred years in there in which stuff was happening, but I've yet to decide what.

The Exodus Wars I have a vague notion of, but I need to really nail things down, to keep the conflict realistic - it's a very important one (WWII equivalent.)

And the Modern Era... is pretty well developed, but huge. Only a few decades long (I'd like human veterans of the Exodus Wars to still be alive today), but a lot of things have happened during it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

That sounds like a lot of work. Good luck.

Proud owner of:
    2 Cookies

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking from one world builder to another, I'd drop a zero for timeline years. 50,000 years is an INCREDIBLY long time in which too little happens. Think of what happens in 100 years on earth, and how much changes. 500 years ago, we were in medieval times. That means we went from that to modern in half a millenia. Even with tons of wars and such, recovery would be fairly quick, especially the more technological you get.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Speaking from one world builder to another, I'd drop a zero for timeline years. 50,000 years is an INCREDIBLY long time in which too little happens. Think of what happens in 100 years on earth, and how much changes. 500 years ago, we were in medieval times. That means we went from that to modern in half a millenia. Even with tons of wars and such, recovery would be fairly quick, especially the more technological you get.
    So, the "Mortal" races (Not Fey, Sirens, Chaos Gods or extinct super races) weren't active during that time; they hadn't really evolved yet. Actually, the reason that period is so long is that evolutionary processes had to have time to work. The factions from before - Fey, Sirens, Nebulae Gods and similar - either went extinct, or had an entirely different perception of time.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

So, the "Mortal" races (Not Fey, Sirens, Chaos Gods or extinct super races) weren't active during that time; they hadn't really evolved yet. Actually, the reason that period is so long is that evolutionary processes had to have time to work. The factions from before - Fey, Sirens, Nebulae Gods and similar - either went extinct, or had an entirely different perception of time.
    Gotcha. Ok, carry on. I can't really read you google doc's here, but I like you're bredth of work. You sound like me in how you create a world - from the ground up. Refreshing to hear another like mind.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Gotcha. Ok, carry on. I can't really read you google doc's here, but I like you're bredth of work. You sound like me in how you create a world - from the ground up. Refreshing to hear another like mind.
    Thanks - by the way, what prevents you from reading google docs? I've heard a couple of people who have problems with that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks - by the way, what prevents you from reading google docs? I've heard a couple of people who have problems with that.
    Work. I'm home now, but I'm generally on while I'm at work.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

So, they sort of end up in an uncomfortable between state, too human to survive as animals, too animal to really function in society.
    What does this mean? I can see how someone with a lot of animal traits would have trouble functioning in human society (you won't impress anyone at the spring cotillion if you're urinating on the buffet table to mark your territory), but how can they be "too human to survive as animals"?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    What does this mean? I can see how someone with a lot of animal traits would have trouble functioning in human society (you won't impress anyone at the spring cotillion if you're urinating on the buffet table to mark your territory), but how can they be "too human to survive as animals"?
    Surviving as an animal is difficult and brutish - getting food, keeping warm, preserving enough food to last through the winter, surviving an injury, raising kids... animals have a lot of evolutionary benefits that help them with that (Insulating fur, natural weapons, hibernation cycles, young that can fend for themselves from a younger age), but animals still lead difficult, painful and often short lives. Even if the human lycanthrope comes from a strain of social animal, they're still stuck at the level of hunter/gatherer, which is not a great place to be.