New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Beds for snakemen

Currently writing up an ancient temple previously used by a first one kind of race of snake-men. Its currently used by some Hobgoblins who don't actually live there, and I want to give the party clues as to what it was previously. Some rooms are living quarters, so I wondered how would these be different for snake-men compared to bipedal? Ideas on a postcard please...

The snake-men have the body of a humanoid with the snakes trunk and a snake ish head.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Beds for snakemen

Well... first thing that jumps to mind for me is some flat stones, maybe fed a constant heat via something akin to a hypocaust so they remain quite toasty. Sounds like something a snakemen/naga/yuan-ti would go for.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Maybe some kind of circular nest-like construction instead of typical rectangular beds? what do you mean when you say Trunk? Dis these snakemen have legs or a snake tail?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I like Arcturus' idea, though they probably wouldn't want heated stones for sleeping on - they'd want them for waking up on and gearing up for the day. So heated seats in the mess hall, and generally plenty of ways to heat the complex and keep it warm and snug in the cold times if there are any of those. Their pantries would be smaller on average, but would need more meat and less grain etc. All that is predicated on them being kilothermic.
    smj's right, we could use some info on what these snakepeople look like if we're tot alk about their beds.
    Last edited by hymer; 2013-02-15 at 07:14 AM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd agree with the previous posters. They would probably want a warm circular pedestal of some sort where they can sleep, but prehaps have it in an open plaza or on a balcony of some sort so that it can be used for basking in the sun and doesn't need to be artificially heated. Most Zoos make snake enclosures with lots of large stones to keep the heat and pools of water nearby, so maybe a Snake persons bedroom would look more like the courtyard of a hotel with a large pool and stone "sunbeds".
    Time is but a pattern in the currents of causality,
    an ever changing present that determines our reality,
    the past we see as history, the future seed with prophecy,
    and all the time we think on time our time is passing constantly.
    Starlight and Steam RPG

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Awesome sauce guys, great ideas. Supermonkeyjoe I'm basing them on this race http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...page=3&pf=true

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

In that case, their beds would be more roundish than longish, as I'm sure they sleep coiled up as well as they can to conserve heat. There may be something in the middle to curl up around like a warm pillow (or maybe a warmblooded being?) The beds would also be lower than most western beds I think, at least on the side where you get up/in. But they could sleep in a bed with some tilt (especially with something central to curl around as mentioned), which humans might well feel they were about to roll out of.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

"These beings moved by crawling; thus, the architecture of the city has very low ceilings and some places are too low for a human being to stand upright."
    The Nameless City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

A wicker basket.... and of course they probably had some form of enslaved human with a wind instrument to be used to sound the wake up call.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

If the torso is humanoid, though, sleeping in a coil really wouldn't do.

Hmm, perhaps a normal bed, with a long, vertical pillow on the middle? That way they can lie and rest their humanoid torso like normal humans, but may coil their lower half around the pillow as well.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, from the picture linked, something like 80% of the body is snake, and even the torso looks quite elegant and bendable judging from the posture. But I agree that they probably can't coil up the torso quite like a real snake can (which is what I was trying to say with 'roundish' as opposed to 'round').

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A bowl-like or tub-like depression, possibly on a small pedestal to keep it off the ground, would me my thought on how Yuan-Ti beds are made. I've also seen sand-beds as a concept (for Medusae, specifically).

Yuan-Ti cities also tend to have gently sloping curves for roads and passageways, never stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I had to deal with this also in a play by post, and I used cushions, lots and lots of cushions, and everyone in the household slept communally. Being cold-blooded, status was somewhat shown by where you were in the huddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Square beds which they curl up in would be more like dorm-room or army beds. The really nice ones would have enough space for full extension (also would have enough space for 2-3 snake-people at once).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Yuan-Ti cities also tend to have gently sloping curves for roads and passageways, never stairs.
    And their version of ladders would look more like a tree?
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I could imagine having a spherical or oval indent, carved into a stone floor, with some kinds of cushions around the edge. Perhaps coiling the tail into the indent, and the restn the torso on the cushions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.