New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP #31: Cuddles Are On Back Order. Have Some Snuggles!

I drink semi-skimmed, personally... not by choice, but by 'that's what my family gets'.
    We call skimmed milk fake milk. So ours is semi-fake.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    That's what she said! :D
    You must be very smart :3
    So you're going to follow my advice and pay her attention, right?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ogre in the Playground

Petition for the US to recognise non-binary genders

I had to stop drinking milk again. I'm allergic to casein and whey and had to stop all dairy for years. Then I reintroduced dairy and... I got so happy about the fact that I could have cheese and milk and chocolate that I went overboard, and within a month I couldn't breathe :( So now I have to quit it all again for at least a month, and then carefully control my amounts.

And considering the low amounts I'll be allowed, I'm fairly sure I won't "spend" any of it on milk, as cheese and chocolate are rated higher on my "dairy stuff worth eating" list. And when I move back into a place with a freezer, I'd probably want some ice-cream every so often as well (although I could just have sorbet I guess).

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

People assume that an Olympic class female bodybuilder will be weaker than a, say, male desk jockey who plays Wii sports for exercise every weekend. That's just not true.
    I never run into that, oddly enough, so I just have the people claiming people claim such things to go on. I feel like I'm missing out.

The closest I've gotten is when people were confused as to why an olympic athlete looked fat to them last time around with that one weightlifter who, IIRC, had a brother who was a professional fooseball player.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    I could deck myself out with cybernetics till the cows come home, but without training on how to fight against another person, I would still get my flabby rear end handed to me.
    Well, that's a difficult assertion because we don't know if you're talking about real world or fantasy cybernetics. Real world cybernetics would be a definite handicap at present unless we've made some significant breakthroughs I haven't heard about. Fantasy cybernetics, well, do you want to go with the ones that make you impervious to the blunt force trauma that an unaugmented human can generate or the ones that handle doing things you don't know how for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    On a side note: Why don't "World Championships" have the highest ranked men and women compete gainst each other? How can you say you are the best if you can only compete against half the population?
    Well, partially "gender wars" things are notoriously shilly, so people tend to view such efforts with distaste. Feminists of one flavor or another will raise a huge stink if it's a violent competition. There's a fear that such programs will lose viewers no matter which sex wins and also a base assumption that only men are really interested in watching most competitive sports/fighting programs and men not only are disinterested in women's sports but feel various conflicting things about competing against women and how it interacts with the fantasy of treating their side as a surrogate for the lack of control they have over their own lives and cultural manhood.

Ounce of prevention, not pound of cure. You talk to people for catharsis all the time. a therapist is what people go for when self-medicating isn't enough.
    And occasionally when they're self-medicating enough for their family to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I spend at least as much time feeling ****ty and broken as I do feeling alright. Getting from the latter to the former takes ten seconds. The former to the latter usually requires sleep, and it doesn't always work.
    Have you considered it then?

My stepdad is allergic
    Get a cat anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Although I recently discovered babyccinos, where instead of a coffee (which I don't drink) or a tea (which they _never_ put frothy milk or marshmallows in) or a hot chocolate (which I find far too rich), they make a little cup of warm milk with frothy milk on top and marshmallows and cocoa powder and it's nominally for kids but I LOVE THEM!!
    So it's steamed milk topped with milk froth topped with a dusting of cocoa powder? Steamed milk is fun stuff, but that name is more than a little silly.

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Ah. Dunno why, I like whole milk and skim milk, but 1% and 2%, although not drastically different, just taste weird to me.
    Drinking heavy cream, though, is awful, just half a gallon and you want to throw up.
    You're supposed to cook with it, not drink it, or so I would have sworn.

This quote is the best quote. Depending on tone of voice... Hahaha.
    Second. And there's only humorous tones of voice it can be imagined with.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2013-03-07 at 08:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I've only gotten that from one beverage & it wasn't milk. Only once too... A sip of water in the middle fixed it.

I find skim to be too gross to drink. Whole tastes almost like ice cream to me now. 2% is okay. That's what they have at work.
    Heavy cream tends to do that.

You do grappling though, right? Shorter limbs and denser muscle work better there.

But the point isn't to make things 100% even, because that's impossibly granular. It to minimize the really bad, obvious disparities.
    No, taekwondo doesn't usually include any grappling. I'd like to one of these days find a way of getting into taekwondo and maybe jujitsu on an actual regular basis, but between schoolwork, transportation, and weird hours of school clubs that make it hard to go to them, that doesn't look likely in the near future.
    And yeah, my point is still just that the "heavyweight" division leaves way too wide a range compared to the like, five-kilo (or ten-kilo in some systems) ranges of the other divisions.

Dayum. Would have loved to grapple you after having you trained up back in the day. A good loss is always fun.
    Fixed that for you. I don't know much about grappling, or really anything much besides the super-basics of taekwondo and a tiny bit of knife-fighting. No idea how I'd do in a real fight, haven't had the luck to get in one yet.

Yeah. I lived on milk for a while, but now I'm working overnight it's harder.

from recollection, milk fat is easier to digest, and has more useable nutritional value than just dumpy ol' fat. I think some of the vitamins are in it actually, but this is all like, 100% from vague memory.

Really though, it's a matter of satisfaction. A glass of milk is more physically satisfying than a meal's worth of stuff that my body doesn't want. That's why I still eat cheeseburgers and stuff, it's like buying a good book. a small jdulgence that keeps me sated for a while, a week or two.

Of course I also lived off of coffee and spite, and whole milk was the only thing vaguely resembled food in there. I'm probably going to develop an allergy in te next decade.
    I dunno, at the end of the day fat's fat. Once you're getting to much of any kind in your diet it becomes an issue.
    I don't know how you live. I once survived a solid month on literally nothing but apples, oranges, and cheeseburgers. The rest of the semester wasn't much better, either. Now I'm doing my own cooking, I don't cook ground beef all that often (that's not true, I like making a pot of three or four pounds of chili to last a week), and I switch off between beef, pork, and chicken as my one solid meal a day.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    You're supposed to cook with it, not drink it, or so I would have sworn.
    Shh. Things aren't supposed to make sense.
    Anyway, I had been making ice cream, so it had ground vanilla beans and a bit of vanilla extract and some sugar mixed in too, but I had more than could fit in the container I was using, so I drank the rest.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2013-03-07 at 08:15 PM.
    Jude P.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ogre in the Playground

Heavy cream tends to do that.
    Never tried heavy cream. I haven't had this from dairy.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Banned

No, taekwondo doesn't usually include any grappling. I'd like to one of these days find a way of getting into taekwondo and maybe jujitsu on an actual regular basis, but between schoolwork, transportation, and weird hours of school clubs that make it hard to go to them, that doesn't look likely in the near future.
    And yeah, my point is still just that the "heavyweight" division leaves way too wide a range compared to the like, five-kilo (or ten-kilo in some systems) ranges of the other divisions.
    Okay. Taekwondo is a whole different beast.

Fixed that for you. I don't know much about grappling, or really anything much besides the super-basics of taekwondo and a tiny bit of knife-fighting. No idea how I'd do in a real fight, haven't had the luck to get in one yet.
    Nah, I wouldn't, like, want to square df an box you Or something. I just think someone of your frame and muscle density would be an interesting scuffle. Horseplay, not combat.

I dunno, at the end of the day fat's fat. Once you're getting to much of any kind in your diet it becomes an issue.
    Nah. For one, that's a bogus statement, too much of anything is an issue. And from what I've seen (I don't have sources but I did check as reputable a group as I could) the correlation between fat in food and fat in people is surmise; fat people tend to have eaten more fat, but that's not the only thing wrong with their diet. As we know that some fats are healthy, such as the omega-3 branch of fatty acids, and some are worse, such as transfats and such.

We also have offering kids of protein with different absorption rates and side effects, with red meat bringing too much stuff that an strain the kidneys, rice protein being easier to absorb and used in baby food, and soy proton being easiest to process and used in protein shakes. And the difference between alcohol and sugar is the kind of simple carbohydrate, right?

From
    What I recall (admittedly from milk sellers, so...) milk fat is higher in beneficial side nutrients, easier to absorb and easier to pass through your system than other animal fats, possibly because it's intended for babies.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nah. For one, that's a bogus statement, too much of anything is an issue. And from what I've seen (I don't have sources but I did check as reputable a group as I could) the correlation between fat in food and fat in people is surmise; fat people tend to have eaten more fat, but that's not the only thing wrong with their diet. As we know that some fats are healthy, such as the omega-3 branch of fatty acids, and some are worse, such as transfats and such.

We also have offering kids of protein with different absorption rates and side effects, with red meat bringing too much stuff that an strain the kidneys, rice protein being easier to absorb and used in baby food, and soy proton being easiest to process and used in protein shakes. And the difference between alcohol and sugar is the kind of simple carbohydrate, right?

From
    What I recall (admittedly from milk sellers, so...) milk fat is higher in beneficial side nutrients, easier to absorb and easier to pass through your system than other animal fats, possibly because it's intended for babies.
    We haven't covered nutrient acquisition and digestion yet, I'm just going by the basic principle "too much anything is bad" and "whole milk has a lot of fat relative to what they say the ideal amount per day is". It's also designed for cow babies, not human babies, and anyway human babies and human adults have different needs. I'm pretty sure I've heard/read that as a result of those things we have some trouble digesting large quantities of cow milk.
    Jude P.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

Do these petitions ever work...?

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Titan in the Playground

Have you considered it then?

...you know '-self-medicating' is being used as a metaphor for 'getting sympathy and affection and advice', right? Cause I do that. Like, in this thread, sometimes.

Get a cat anyway?
    I'd love to. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Orc in the Playground

Well, since I've been nothing but a stormy cloud of negativity, I'd thought I'd try to make it up by telling my plan to coming out to my parents.

First, I'm going to bake a cake, write "I'm Gay" on it, and write a note:

Dear Mom and Dad,

I'm gay! If you haven't read the cake yet. I thought that, with this delicious treat, it'd be a piece of cake. I do hope that you still love me, which I think you will, but I can't read people too well. You never know how someone would react.

I have told a few friends, and they still think of me just the same, so why can't you? I'd love it if you accepted me for who I am. You could say, it could be the icing on the cake.

I sure hope that you, like the cake, are not in tiers. I mean, if you want grand children, there's your two other daughters!

I know that right now, being this way isn't easy. But, don't worry. It gets batter.

I hope that one day, we can look back on this, and say that "This really takes the cake."

Love,

Alex

(PS: sorry about the puns. If I was going to come out, it would not be with fabulous clothes, but with humor)
    'Pride' Pony by Elemental

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ogre in the Playground

That is awesome!

Wish I thought of that...

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akowrules View Post
    Well, since I've been nothing but a stormy cloud of negativity, I'd thought I'd try to make it up by telling my plan to coming out to my parents.

First, I'm going to bake a cake, write "I'm Gay" on it, and write a note:

Alex
    Yay! Let us celebrate with virtual cake!

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ogre in the Playground

Bwuh?! That... Wow...

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Korvedzk View Post
    Bwuh?! That... Wow...
    Bwuh?! indeed.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    The White House ones are guaranteed to at least get a reply if they hit 10,000 replies.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    The White House ones are guaranteed to at least get a reply if they hit 10,000 replies.
    Oh, that's good!

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

It's 100,000 signatures now.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2013-03-07 at 11:43 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

18. - Top - End - #1188

NecromancerGuy

...you know '-self-medicating' is being used as a metaphor for 'getting sympathy and affection and advice', right? Cause I do that. Like, in this thread, sometimes.
    I was talking about therapy, actually. I'm given to understand it's at least something of an option for you.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you read some of the responses? Even the mandatory responses are more often than not a beat around the bush non-answer.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

Have you read some of the responses? Even the mandatory responses are more often than not a beat around the bush non-answer.
    Curses!

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know. But the way I see it, if it works it's worth it, if it doesn't, it only took a minute to sign it. And at the very least it raises awareness that it's an issue people care about. The more signature, the more people obviously care about it.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

The ones that get media attention tend to be jokes or about things that the white house has already responded to. Some of the others have provoked actual movement.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    The ones that get media attention tend to be jokes or about things that the white house has already responded to. Some of the others have provoked actual movement.
    I'm certain. I mean, the fastest and most direct response was for The White House Honey Ale Recipe...

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cute! I've found it's hard to go wrong with an offering of food.
    "Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it" - Florence Ambrose

LGBTAitp

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

Chessy, you should do this and see what your Mum says.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Banned

We haven't covered nutrient acquisition and digestion yet, I'm just going by the basic principle "too much anything is bad" and "whole milk has a lot of fat relative to what they say the ideal amount per day is". It's also designed for cow babies, not human babies, and anyway human babies and human adults have different needs. I'm pretty sure I've heard/read that as a result of those things we have some trouble digesting large quantities of cow milk.
    Well, the response to milk far being bad was to move to a tighter granularity where milk far specifically had benefits which put it above other fats, much like certain fishes are said to possess. I also think baby digestion is different across the board, and adults and babies needing different nutrition is a nonissue, literally. It's not that milk is designed for humans, but that when evaluated from a For Humies rubric it comes up as fatty but not in a strictly bad way.

Aye, I think I may have flubbed delivery on that one.

Oh. I'll go read it then.

I was talking about therapy, actually. I'm given to understand it's at least something of an option for you.
    The trouble is a misunderstanding of the value of therapy in the colloquial sense, wherein someone receives the same validation and support but in a non professional sense. It requires viewing the issues as friends are good for a healthy mental state, but a therapist is better, instead of a therapist is good for a healthy mental state, but a friend can do in a pinch. It's about where te benchmarks fall.

I was specifically talking about using friends and a social network to operate in the same capacity as a therapist, though.

better than denial.

And the cake is easy. The note is photoshopped. You can tell by the font.

27. - Top - End - #1197

NecromancerGuy

The trouble is a misunderstanding of the value of therapy in the colloquial sense, wherein someone receives the same validation and support but in a non professional sense. It requires viewing the issues as friends are good for a healthy mental state, but a therapist is better, instead of a therapist is good for a healthy mental state, but a friend can do in a pinch. It's about where te benchmarks fall.
    So you're saying I'm overestimating the value of therapy or that Lix is dismissing it? Or that I'm overestimating the respect that someone else would have for mental health professionals as being competent to do their job? Because I was asking Lix because what Lix has said made me wonder why it seemed to be so instantly dismissed when what Lix has said has also seemed to indicate that there is, in fact, potential there. Partially rhetorically, but of it being treated as a rhetorical question I appear to have gotten the equivalent of a blank stare like I was speaking gibberish.

I very much doubt, however, that friends really occupy the same niche as even a basically decent and competent therapist, especially in the context of friendship providing primarily basic affirmation and intimacy. And getting a friend to play therapist is a horrible idea, especially if they've got a fetish for it.

I was specifically talking about using friends and a social network to operate in the same capacity as a therapist, though.
    In response to you I was pointing out that self-medicating usually has unfortunate implications for the person's liver, to say the least. So using the term here is amusing to say the least, possibly inappropriate, but no one gives a damn so it can't be inappropriate even if it were due to groupthink so there you go.

I suppose we could just have fundamentally incompatible and conflicting ideas as to what role therapists play, what's kosher to dump into a friendship, or both.
    Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Banned

So you're saying I'm overestimating the value of therapy or that Lix is dismissing it? Or that I'm overestimating the respect that someone else would have for mental health professionals as being competent to do their job? Because I was asking Lix because what Lix has said made me wonder why it seemed to be so instantly dismissed when what Lix has said has also seemed to indicate that there is, in fact, potential there. Partially rhetorically, but of it being treated as a rhetorical question I appear to have gotten the equivalent of a blank stare like I was speaking gibberish.
    It seemed like you were responding to a fork, rather than the crossroads. The point being, here;

In response to you I was pointing out that self-medicating usually has unfortunate implications for the person's liver, to say the least. So using the term here is amusing to say the least, possibly inappropriate, but no one gives a damn so it can't be inappropriate even if it were due to groupthink so there you go.

I suppose we could just have fundamentally incompatible and conflicting ideas as to what role therapists play, what's kosher to dump into a friendship, or both.
    That you seem to have missed the "medicine" is not a chemical whatsoever and is actually psychotherapy, the implication wing that people seek basic psychotherapeutic maintenance from their friendship circle, and by seeking an alternative to professional/medical help through nonprofessional, nonmedical means they are effectively self-medicating by prescribing therapy which is not, and cannot, be as good as real therapy.

You instead gave the impression of taking the comment literally, which prompted Lix Lorn to ask if you realized there was no actual chemical medicine involved. I then assumed either you were being clever, Or had misunderstood. Further, analysis made it clear that if you were being clear it didn't come though and I you had misunderstood then I should correct it else this conversation woul be far more awkward. And so, I continued as if the 'misunderstood' fork was true because that was the best action to take in either scenario. Now.

I very much doubt, however, that friends really occupy the same niche as even a basically decent and competent therapist, especially in the context of friendship providing primarily basic affirmation and intimacy. And getting a friend to play therapist is a horrible idea, especially if they've got a fetish for it.
    This is a strange combination of assumptive, connotative and colloquial. A friend (or more accurately, a network of friends) can indeed be a stand in for a therapist, because by nature of friendship there will be a level Of intimate data sharing which therapy relies on, and there will be a sense of obligation such that friends will try to do what is in your best interests, and you will perforce only approach those who have the most proficiency. Further, the nature of numbers means that with a large enough social circle, Acquirable with ease due to the Internet, one can have all problems handled in a manner such that a large and reinforced picture emerges. One can talk to friend A and friend B about problem 1, friends C and d about problem two, etc. And never the two should meet.

This is serviceable. This is how people are expected to get through life. This is not optimal, sure, but it is not bad. I did make a subtle nod towards psychotherapeutic self medication being the inferior choice but it is not one I will deride someone for, nor is it truly a bad choice. It is just different from acquiring an actual therapist, who will by their nature e better at therapy than nontherapists*. It is a trade off, where one is easily Acquirable, but swingy, and the other is expensive, exposing, has a lot of urban legend and some hefty factual accounts of bein bad/backfiring, but has higher success ratios regardless.

I do think Lix would feel better with an Honest To God Therapist. So would I. I do not think, however, that getting this self-same support from friends and social circles is bad.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2013-03-08 at 04:24 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Orc in the Playground

What the?! dang. I thought I was being creative oh well. Still doing it.
    'Pride' Pony by Elemental

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ettin in the Playground

The best kind of creativity is one with frosting on it. ^_^

And I'd just like to take this chance to wish our female thread denizens a happy International Women's Day as well.