Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Long Term Game OoC

This is the OoC thread for the long term game I agreed to DM. I'll put up the IC thread soon. In the mean time, hang out here, discuss whatever (on topic or not, after all, getting off topic is what OoC threads are for), ask questions, strategize, etc.

Other threads:

Character Sheets:

Posting:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Try to post at least once per day as long as there is something to post, more often if you have can. If you don't post for three days straight in combat, someone else will act for you (me, unless another player wants to). If an idea is proposed and no-one voices objection within three days, i'll presume that you're all going along with it.

When you post, structure them with OoC [out of character] stuff spoiler it with a heading of OoC. Dice rolls in spoilers unless it is something that makes sense to include IG (Summoning 1d3 hippogriffs to attack someone could have the roll code in the post there if you say something like "and 1d3 hippogriffs appear diving at the foe, slashing with there claws"). If your doing some roll completely OoC, such as forgetting to include a knowledge/spellcraft check, post it here, clearly stating what it is. The same goes for saves and other rolls that happen on your turn unless you want to type something about what your doing IC.

Everyone should pick a color to speak in. Use italics in that color for thoughts you post. I'll have all NPCs speak in Bold, important ones will also get a color (some may get a color later, once you realize they are important).

If there is a spoiler with a player/character's name above it which isn't your character/player's name, don't read it, it is meant to be private. If I make a spoiler with a title like "Spot (DC 15):" Don't open it unless you successfully make the check, they may have spoilers within the spoilers with increasing difficulty, if that is so, don't open the further spoilers unless your roll also would reach that DC.

The 16 (my changes in Bold Italics):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by EarFall View Post
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Will be playing 3.5 edition D&D. You are welcome to talk to me about 3.0 material (such as from BoVD, BoED, etc) and pathfinder material (classes like Magus and Summoner, etc).

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Will be paying in a high magic universe, in the sense that you will be able to purchase and acquire magic items as per standard rules - not every town will abide by this rule, of course, but you will be able to access magic. Homebrewed campaign setting, further details to follow.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

Kinda irrelevant as I joined after a group was formed

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

The forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level one - fresh off the boat!

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Every character gets 150 gp starting funds - unless you have a specific background where this makes no sense.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

I will allow any characters. Run them all by me in PM if you don't mind. I do know the tier system, and I largely agree with it. However, I greatly enjoy casters, and will not outright bar any tier. I am a fan of the gentleman's agreement. Don't break my campaign on purpose, as it's not fun for anyone (though it is fun to post hypotheticals!).

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species

Any standard race is fine, as well as the common variant ones. No arctic subspecies are appropriate to the setting. Monster races are allowed - but in character racism amongst NPCs will exist. Monster races in some areas are quite civilized - in border towns and such, much less so. Kobolds, goblins, and hobgoblins are extremely rather common in the area though tension is high between "monsters" and "humanoids".

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points

36 point build for tier 5 and 6.
    32 point for tier 3 and 4
    28 point buy for 1 and 2.
    If you plan to multiclass, let me know. Use the one you will "mostly" be to determine your points, not the one you start in.
    HP is max at first level, average or roll after that (you can choose for each level), though if you roll and don't like it, your stuck with it.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    I use the 10 alignment system - all of them plus unaligned. You may not be chaotic evil. Any other alignment is allowed - I pay close attention to chaotic neutral, neutral evil, and somewhat lawful evil. Chaotic neutral doesn't mean "whatever I want". Basically, I care less about what's on your sheet and much more about your in character actions - alignment is a tool to give you a vague understanding.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Don't have any problem with this, including dips. PrCing is fine, as well. If something ends up broken, we'll fix it.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Use the forum roller and include it in your post for the most part. If you make a roll without an IC description of what your doing (or you doing something else in that post), put it OoC. If a roll messes up, reroll it OoC.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Hobgoblins get no level adjustments in my world. Other than that... would have to tell you if things come up, because I can't think of any.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Yes, but not an extensive one. Extensive ones are fine, though! Setting info to follow - you will be starting in a small town know as Dragon's Dale. The kingdom Dragon's Dale belongs to is currently in a war with a nearby hobgoblin kingdom - mostly over the human kingdoms small towns encroaching on the hobgoblins territory - such as Dragon's Dale. [I]The war has somewhat died down now, though they are officially at war, it mainly is small raiding parties, and large battles are rare. (My adventure idea has less to do with the hobgoblins, though I will incorporate them more than I had planned, they aren't as major a theme).[/I]

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Whatever you use to solve the problems that you encounter! A lot of roleplaying and combat, most likely. I don't use many puzzles, because they are only appropriate in certain circumstances. There may be more puzzles and possibly mysteries than originally planned, though it is ultimately up to you.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Just tell me what you're picking before you pick it. I am at least vaguely familiar with most books. Almost everything from SpC will be allowed as well.

I think I included everything, if not, let me know and I'll add it.

-rweird
    Last edited by rweird; 2013-02-21 at 09:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Long Term Game OoC

Leonardo Del Piero shall speak in red.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The Mystical Sha-Lue will speak in all colors

Edit: fixed temp energy.
    Last edited by drack; 2013-02-19 at 05:13 PM.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I claim orange!

Also made a few changes to make character sheet, nothing big, just some point buy moving around.
    Last edited by Cranthis; 2013-02-19 at 05:28 PM.
    Admiral Cranthis, Inventor of the Cranthis (Sandwich) and the Gnomish Paratroopers, and rider of Chuckles, the dire pig.

Awesome avatar by TinyMushroom!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    The Mystical Sha-Lue will speak in all colors
    Hahaha thats gonna take a little while extra to do.

6. - Top - End - #6

Kirinith is going to use Magenta as her color of choice.

Sorry for being non-responsive for so long, totally forgot about this game =]
    I'm gonna behave myself from now on =]
    Last edited by Dunkoro; 2013-02-21 at 08:10 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Do you want to meet before the game starts, or should I throw something up that draws you together?

8. - Top - End - #8

I'd rather prefer the latter.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Indifferent, though my character this time around should be able to party up easily enough. (The showy performers always find a way eh?)
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

10. - Top - End - #10

Okay, I'll make the IC now.

11. - Top - End - #11

12. - Top - End - #12

Woo, the ball is rolling!
    Admiral Cranthis, Inventor of the Cranthis (Sandwich) and the Gnomish Paratroopers, and rider of Chuckles, the dire pig.

13. - Top - End - #13

Today's binding check for Naberius: (1d20+3)[18]

Edit: Success!
    Last edited by Cranthis; 2013-02-21 at 12:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

We're currently going around town asking for any bonuses people might give us, or we're going to get some information first from the Jeknifs?
    "You mean, more than those who believe stories of demons
    being summoned, and the ultimate war of good and evil,
    and barons who bathe in blood of virgins?"
    "Well, yes. Didn't quite buy that?"
    "I don't believe in virgins."

- Steven Brust, "Jheegala"

This sentence is false.

Thanks to Kymme for awesome avatar

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like info.

16. - Top - End - #16

Should I assume you're going to the Jeknifs farm or does someone want to do something else first?

17. - Top - End - #17

Naw, I guess we're going for the farm first, we should do just as mayor said: first accomplish something and only then ask people for favours.
    "You mean, more than those who believe stories of demons
    being summoned, and the ultimate war of good and evil,
    and barons who bathe in blood of virgins?"
    "Well, yes. Didn't quite buy that?"
    "I don't believe in virgins."

- Steven Brust, "Jheegala"

This sentence is false.

Thanks to Kymme for awesome avatar

18. - Top - End - #18

Johnathan is a grumpy man.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cranthis View Post
    Johnathan is a grumpy man.
    Yup, and after I made sure we'd be well fed too...

20. - Top - End - #20

Assuming you'll go looking for them, where are you looking for the Gnolls?
    Last edited by rweird; 2013-02-23 at 08:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Forest looks like a good place to start. Combing through it towards the mountains.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

(double post for subcribers)
    I think we may attack. After all if he' a scout... and then we can interrogate him.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

(triple post for subscribers)
    Wait, why are we gonna attack the poor fella if he gets closer. He' running away and I just called him over for a chat...
    Should instead attack if he tries moving out of range.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Our duty is to be rid of the gnolls, but if you wish, you should communicate with the group in character.
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Character Game Class
    Leonardo Del Piero Long Term Game Bard
    Mathitis Desmevoun The Darkwater Operation Soul Disciple
    Vaelann Grishnįkh Tealpeck's Flood Heroic Fighter // Totemist
    God The Prophets Dungeon Master

25. - Top - End - #25

drack: You have to specify what preventative measures you'll take for the readied action to work.

26. - Top - End - #26

(double post for subscribers)

Cranthis: What is your roll for? Bluff?
    Last edited by rweird; 2013-02-25 at 04:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

I am readying an action to use my command ability (Naberius) once he is within 30 feet. Specifically the approach option. And I guess here is a spoiler of exactly what I say:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Come closer dear friend!"

Yes it is for bluff, sorry
    Last edited by Cranthis; 2013-02-25 at 04:51 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    drack: You have to specify what preventative measures you'll take for the readied action to work.
    Firey attack spell...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Drack, wouldn't you need to make a diplomacy check to persuade him?
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Character Game Class
    Leonardo Del Piero Long Term Game Bard
    Mathitis Desmevoun The Darkwater Operation Soul Disciple
    Vaelann Grishnįkh Tealpeck's Flood Heroic Fighter // Totemist
    God The Prophets Dungeon Master

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Not too many checks. Do you need a diplomacy check when you visit someone's house and ask "may I come in?" it's an open option that I'm not actively pushing for. (Makes the honest intentions show through more.) That and the diplomacy skill is seriously broken, so I usually just avoid it.