Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 213
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Having completed your most recent mission slaying undead, the group is resting at the Captain's Quarters Inn in the town of Lakeside. A messenger dashes in and goes to the front desk and you hear "...looking for...problem...undead specialists..."

    The innkeeper nods in your group's general direction, and the messenger looks relieved.

    "Greetings, friends. At least, I truly hope I may call you that. I have been sent by Lord Ibrahim III of Ogdenhall to request your aid. Our region used to be a very prosperous one, with numerous trade routes going through the city proper. Over the past few decades, those routes have stopped being traveled, and as they have gone, so has our fortunes. The city, and surrounding area, are now a mere shadow of their former glory. However, we have hope again, but we cannot do it without your assistance. We believe we have traced the origins of our situation to a tower near the edge of our influence that had been abandoned almost a century ago, and we thought it was still abandoned. We believe that some form of evil influence or power has taken up residence there and it is this force that is causing our troubles. We are also almost certain that whatever is there is related to undead abominations. Lord Ibrahim sent his most trusted and powerful knight, Sir Kramer, to investigate. Alas, Sir Kramer never returned from the tower. This is why you are being sent for. Clearly, the task is beyond our current forces and your reputation for expertise and ability to deal with undead precedes you. I have been sent with sufficient transportation to bring you to Ogdenhall to speak to Lord Ibrahim regarding our situation. Will you come with me?"

    Current Map:

    Spoiler
    Show


    Current Status:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Archwizard; 2013-03-09 at 11:59 PM.
    Let Belkar live!

    Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

    Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Morris stands up, stretching a bit and rolling his shoulders and neck to work out a few kinks. "If it's undead, you've got my help. Pull up a chair and tell us what's pointing to this tower, and to the involvement of undead. What have you seen?"

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Nuele nods.

    Well, that sounds about right. Dark tower, undead evil, I mean, what's not to like? Should we pack up now, or do you guys want to quiz the messanger on stuff that the guy who sent him will know better than he will?

    She starts fastening shut the bindings on her backpack, then pauses.

    Of, course, if trade is dying out, that's because people are getting attacked on the road, right? But if we're going to go there... Um.. maybe you could tell us a bit about these attacks?

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bat Country
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Ali is dozing on the far end of the table, curled up like a cat next to a cluster of empty bottles, as the stranger enters... The tiny gnome stirs himself and grins through his soot-colored beard, showing teeth that are disturbingly long and sharp. He digs into his vest and produces a pocket watch.

    "Good heavens, just look at the time! It's already Zed Thirty! ...and here I am sleeping the day away. We have zombies to kill! Let's not keep this nice man waiting..."

    He hops to his feet and jumps down from the table, scattering the empties and leaving two bottles in pieces on the floor. He winces at the crash, wobbling tipsily...

    "Oops."
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    The messenger looks at Morris, "Thank you. My name is Telain, and I am a personal messenger for Lord Ibrahim."

    He takes out a rolled up piece of parchment, which has affixed to it a very ornate seal:

    Spoiler
    Show


    If you unseal and read the parchment, it essentially says what the messenger already said, and it is personally signed by Lord Ibrahim.


    Spoiler
    Show
    I don’t remember anyone having Knowledge (Nobility), but if you do you can make checks regarding the seal and the names Sir Kramer and Lord Ibrahim.


    Telain sighs heavily. "I wish I knew more. It is very frustrating to watch your home decay and die.“

    Telain then sits down, although he sits on the edge of his chair like a man ready to jump back up at any time. He signals for a drink and when it arrives he takes a deep drink before continuing, "I have no direct information. When I say that I have watched my home decay, I mean that in a general sense. Trade used to be vibrant, artisans would come from all over to perform in the bazaar, and the land was simply alive. That is no longer the case. The only trade that comes through is that which is strictly required. Performers, artisans and similar folks don't come around anymore in any appreciable numbers. Even the weather seems to have gotten worse."

    He seems to be lost in thought for a moment, but then snaps out of it. "Of course you hear rumors. People have moved away, or so we are told. Stories of the families being kidnapped or killed abound. A storm comes through and a graveyard is ripped up. Did the storm do it, or something more sinister? As times have gotten tougher, the stories and rumors have gotten darker. Of course, when we learned about the tower and the potential source of our troubles that it is, dozens of rumors about what is going on there erupted, each more horrifying than the last. When Sir Kramer and his party failed to return those stories got worse. Sir Kramer was...is a good man. I am proud to call him a friend, and I know for him not to return is very dire indeed."
    Let Belkar live!

    Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

    Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Festav looks up from a book he's reading to see the man properly instead of the occasional glances he'd been doing so far.

    "Hm... Seems rather interesting. However, what made you believe that the place is haunted or such? We can't well go out slaying if there turns out being nothing to slay. From what I can tell, this is all third-hand information."
    Last edited by blade artist; 2013-02-26 at 12:13 AM.
    It's not that I thrash around with them, I simply draw them in their elegance.

    Spoiler
    Show
    [/CENTER]

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dunkoro's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Spoiler
    Show

    (OOC: sorry for my absence guys)
    KnowNobilitySirKramer - (1d20+6)[15]
    KnowNobilityLord Ibrahim - (1d20+6)[16]
    I have ALL the knowledges trained.


    Also, It wouldn't be a first time when someone got to us all saying "This place is haunted, you have to cleanse it!" for us to find nothing there...
    "You mean, more than those who believe stories of demons
    being summoned, and the ultimate war of good and evil,
    and barons who bathe in blood of virgins?"
    "Well, yes. Didn't quite buy that?"
    "I don't believe in virgins."

    - Steven Brust, "Jheegala"

    This sentence is false.

    Thanks to Kymme for awesome avatar

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Even if the tower isn't haunted infested or corrupted, says Nuele, I have no particular objection to going to rescue a handsome prince.

    She waves a thin hand, making her braclet's jangle.

    I think we need to face up to the fact that the unbreathing horde have all been defeated. It was fun while it lasted, but they've shambled their last, the tombs have been resealed, and we've even been paid. They don't need us here any more, we're kinda done. I'm enjoying the 'free room and board' bit of our reward as much as anyone, but I'm ready to move on.

    I mean ok, we don't know exactly what we're getting into, and this could all turn out like that Beast of Bogarden fiasco, but hey, they can't all be duds. Short of the minions of darkness sending us an engraved invitation, this is the best lead we've got.

    And then there is the fate of a knight of the realm! How can we rest here knowing that a brave knight ventured into danger and never returned. We could be his only hope. Someone needs to think of Sir Cramny or whatever he's called!


    She pauses for a moment, and then starts counting on her fingers.

    Um.. not needed here, could be something real, we owe it to ourselves to check out leads, rescue brave knight, I'm bored.... Yup I think that's everything!

    So, can we go? Right now?

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Nobility) for Sir Kramer:
    He is a minor noble in Ogdenhall. He is the chief military aide to Lord Ibrahim and known as a very capable warrior. Lord Ibrahim III was the one who elevated Sir Kramer to nobility.

    Knowledge (Nobility) for Lord Ibrahim III:

    Lord Ibrahim III is part of the Tredine family that has ruled Ogdenhall for the past couple centuries. His family have been capable rulers, steadily growing Ogdenhall's importance and wealth until recently. The past couple decades have been bad, both for Ogdenhall and Lord Ibrahim. Things started going south with the death of his father, Lord Ibrahim II, and people have begun to give up hope that Ibrahim III is capable of dealing with the situation. Indeed, many say that his failure to recognize an external problem and act before now is a clear indication that he is not up to the task. The only thing keeping the peace is the older generation that have lived under the Tredine rule long enough to have faith in the family.

    His personal reputation has been one of steadfastness and dedication to his people. Sometimes that steadfastness can be seen as slowness or indecision however.

    The seal is the Tredine family seal. It emphasizes a connection to the land and its people with its green and gold coloring. The heavy armored helm, shield, and hands all represent the family dedication to defending themselves and those in their charge. The lion rears to signify that at the heart of every defender is a warrior ready to roar and attack to accomplish his goals.
    Let Belkar live!

    Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

    Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Telain looks at Nuele and chuckles, "I like your energy and enthusiasm, I'm sure my lord will appreciate it." Turning to Festav and Mishiel, "As to what makes us believe undead are involved, that is simple. Divinations by Quelaas, our head priest, have found necromantic energy and auras that are strongest around the tower. That lends itself to one fairly certain conclusion. It also casts a much more sinister light on the disappearance of citizens and disruptions in graveyards nearby."

    "As to when we can leave, as soon as you are ready. I have a caravan with me that has horses for each of you. The journey to Ogdenhall is about a five day ride to the southwest."
    Last edited by Archwizard; 2013-02-26 at 07:43 PM.
    Let Belkar live!

    Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

    Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    "I just need to pack a few things that're in my room... I can be ready in 15 or 20 minutes."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    "Alright, I just have to return some books to the owner and put on some armor and I'll be fit for travel."

    Festav takes another look at the messenger and then back to Nuele.

    "We are never talking of that incident again. The trek itself was enough to give nightmares."
    It's not that I thrash around with them, I simply draw them in their elegance.

    Spoiler
    Show
    [/CENTER]

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bat Country
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    "Hey, nightmares are underrated... they're like plays you don't have to pay for!"

    Ali gathers all of his gear and throws in one last bottle, to take the edge off on the road. That was the bad thing about morning drinking... afternoon hangovers...
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Telain stands and says, ”I must prepare to depart, I am glad you seem eager to assist. Lord Ibrahim sent me with an escort and transportation for you.”

    As you exit the tavern, you see the caravan Telain referred to. There's half a dozen riderless horses, a wagon with some supplies, and half a dozen armed men on horses. They are wearing chainmail and have longswords on their hips and longbows on their backs. Their chainmail has the same seal that was on the scroll emblazoned across the chest. One of them is holding the reins of what must be Telain's horse.

    Telain takes the reins from the man and says, "Thank you, Sergeant. I see your men have finished preparing to depart, excellent. This is the group we were sent to find, and they have agreed to return with us."

    The Sergeant nods sternly and replies, "That is good news. Men, prepare to depart as soon as our guests are settled on their horses. We must make haste back home."

    Telain turns to you and says, "It's about 5 days with minimal stops to return to Ogdenhall. I don't expect much trouble."

    With that, he mounts his horse and prepares to depart.

    The caravan sets out west. You travel fairly constantly, with minimal rests for the horses. At night the sergeant and his men take shifts keeping watch, urging everyone else in the group to rest.

    On the third day of travel you start to pass by some farms and similar lone homestands. Towards the end of the day you begin to notice occasional patrols of soldiers, usually 4-5 men, that have the crest of Ogdenhall on their armor. These patrols salute the sergeant and Telain, but otherwise continue on their way.

    Throughout the fourth day the population increases, and now you see periodic villages. Everywhere you go, people that see the caravan tend to watch it with mild curiosity, but so far the land and its people seem healthy and content, if not happy.

    Around midday you see a structure off in the distance. It appears to be a very large fortress-like building which Telain informs you is Ogdenhall. Once it is in sight, you notice that the character of the land begins to subtly shift. People seem to be moving a little faster, carts they are pushing are not quite as full, fields don't seem to have the same bounty growing in them. There's nothing you can put your finger on as wrong, it just doesn't feel right.

    On the fifth day, the sense of unease and discontent increases. The walls of Ogdenhall come to dominate the landscape. The structure is impressive, and you can see men patrolling along the walls. You think you also see ballistas positioned periodically along the walls. As you get closer you notice that a second set of even taller walls rise from the center of Ogdenhall.

    The road leads up to the northern wall of Ogdenhall. In the middle of the wall are a set of giant doors, each one roughly 20' wide, made of what appears to be solid steel. The walls themselves appear to be roughly 20' tall and are made of stone. As you pass through the gate you notice there appears to be an inner keep structure with walls that must be 30' tall. The other thing you notice as you pass through the gates is the pair of stout dwarves immediately on the inside of the gates. Each is wearing full plate, wields a battle axe, and carries a shield. They look even sterner than your typical dwarves.

    On the other side of the doors is an open courtyard area, roughly 80'x40'. Straight back from the gate is a small 20' wide structure, from which a large man in plate mail exits as your caravan goes through the gate. As Telain gets off his horse, he greets this man with a nod, "Captain Karath, it is good to see you again. Please send a runner to inform the lord that I have returned."

    The captain nods, and motions to a boy behind him. The boy takes off like a shot. Another boy approaches and Telain tells him, "Take care of these horses well, they have been ridden hard for five days and have earned a respite."

    Telain turns to you and says, "This is Captain Karath, the head of the Ogdenhall's guard and also overall defense forces in Sir Kramer's absence." Captain Karath's face darkens at the mention of Sir Kramer, but he says nothing. Telain continues, unaware of the Captain's reaction, "To the east are living quarters. In general, artisans who are staying long term will stay there, and many merchants and tradesmen who have shops inside the walls also live there with their families. To the west is where the shops, the inn, and similar buildings are."

    Telain begins to walk towards the west and beckons you all to follow him. He begins pointing at buildings while talking, "Might as well point out where stuff is while we are on our way. The entrance to the inner keep is on its southern wall. In the northwest corner there you can see the entrances to The Sheltered Soldier, our inn, and The Thirsty Soldier, our tavern." After turning the corner and walking south about a hundred feet there's a gap between buildings where armor, weapons, and various metal goods are displayed. Telain points and says, "As you can see, these two buildings are where our armorer, weaponsmith, and blacksmith work. They are called The Soldier's Shield, The Soldier's Sword, and The Soldier's Supply." Telain chuckles a bit, "And, as you can also see, there's a bit of a theme to the naming of our establishments. It goes back to Ogdenhall's founding, when this land was much wilder than it is now. The armorer and weaponsmith are both very old dwarves that have been here a very long time. In the southwest corner there are the leatherworker, the tailor, and the general store."

    As you round the southwest corner you see a large, open area in the center of the southern area. Telain says, "This is our bazaar. Right now it's not that busy, but it used to be crowded like you wouldn't believe, day in and day out. I hope you are able to help us restore those days. Over on the other side of the Bazaar is the temple to Heironeous. Most of us here worship Heironeous, though some do worship Pelor, and an altar to him is also set up inside the temple."

    In the center of the southern inner keep wall is a tunnel that leads north through the wall. There's a raised portcullis at the entrance, and standing by it are two armed guards. They wear banded mail and wield greatswords. The tunnel is 7' wide by 10' tall, and if you look up you notice that it has murder holes all along it.

    The tunnel opens up into a roughly 30'x30' courtyard. Around the courtyard are benches and flowers, and in the center is a fountain. In the northern wall of the courtyard is a wooden double door.

    Telain pushes this door open, and beyond it is a 20' wide corridor. He walks due north and you follow him. You see various hallways that branch off the one you are in, and doors that must lead to other rooms. At the end of a 50' corridor is another double door, this one is open with a herald and a guard stationed outside it. Inside you clearly see a moderate throne room.

    The herald looks at Telain and nods, then enters the room slightly ahead of you.

    "My lord," the herald announces, "your messenger Telain returns from his mission with the party in question with him."

    With that, the herald exits the room and shuts the doors behind him. The room is 30' deep x 50' wide, with a throne in the center of the northern wall. Around the room are various chairs, suits of armor, decorations, and other things you would expect to find in a throne room.

    Lord Ibrahim is seated on a throne made of bronze with some gold highlights. The crest is emblazoned along the head and back. Standing next to the lord is a tall man, dressed in green and black robes. In each corner of the room stands a guard at attention. They appear to be wearing different uniforms than the rest of the guards you have seen.

    Lord Ibrahim stands after the doors shut. He is a tall man, powerfully built and he moves with a certain ease.

    "Welcome," he intones, speaking in a rich voice, "thank you for coming. I am glad to see that Telain's journey bore fruit. I just hope there is something you can do to help us. The message Telain bore contained the essence of what I know, but I wanted to meet you and answer any questions that you may have. While you are here, I have instructed all of the various shopkeepers to give you as much of a discount as they can. I cannot ask them to take a loss of course, but they will do what they can. You may also wish to seek out Quelaas, he is the high priest in the temple of Heironeous and a resourceful man."

    He pauses, and then continues, "I would imagine that you are interested in being paid for your assistance, which is of course only natural. I will pay you 12,000 gold if you are able to confirm elimination of whatever is in the tower. If you can find Sir Kramer and return him to us, I will pay you another 6,000 gold. If he is dead, please try to return his armor and sword to us. They are family heirlooms and his son should have them."

    Lord Ibrahim looks melancholy for a moment, and clearly Sir Kramer was important to him. The lord then looks at you expectantly.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Map of Ogdenhall:



    1 Square = 10'x10'
    Let Belkar live!

    Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

    Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    "Thank you, your grace. Eliminating undead is our calling - at least for most of us - and we will work to find the source of your problem. Having come to Ogdenhall, I think I can perceive what we were told about... some malign influence is having low-level effects even around the city.

    Do you have any maps of the area and the routes to the old tower? Patrol schedules, maps of disappearances that we can use to look for patterns, and the like? I would like to plot our route this afternoon, and depart at sunrise tomorrow morn."

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    "It also wouldn't hurt, your grace, to have some history of this tower. We heard that it was abandonned many years prior from your messanger; the story of the place might shed some light on what could be there or or around it."
    Last edited by blade artist; 2013-02-27 at 11:54 PM.
    It's not that I thrash around with them, I simply draw them in their elegance.

    Spoiler
    Show
    [/CENTER]

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Nice place, what's the rent?

    Nuele tears her eyes away from the architecture, to give the lord a glance.

    And ah.. why was it built in the first place? I mean, you've got solider this, and soldier that, so why did this area need soldiers? Or was it just that some past ruler had more guys in armour than he needed, and thought Hey, let's build a fortress over here and free up some spare rooms.

    She waves her hand vaguely at the imposing hall as her eyes start roaming again.

    You call it a hall, but this is a pretty hefty forticiation. Who were the bad guys it was aimed at, way back then? Or was it against fear of unknown foes, and to drive back the dark...

    She brings her attention back to the Lord Ibrahim.

    Sorry, impressive place. What made you think this tower was trouble? What was Sir Kramner looking for when he went there? And how far away from here is it?

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bat Country
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Ali fidgets at the back of the group, keeping his tongue firmly clenched between his teeth. He learned that little trick after a number of unfortunate outbursts in the presence of important people... but finally his patience gives out, and his tongue escapes his molars...

    "But has anybody actually seen a zombie? Any confirmed incidences of moaning, shuffling, brain eating and such?"
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Lord Ibrahim listens closely to the groups comments and questions. After you have finished he chuckles and looks at Nuele, ”You do not want to know the upkeep of this fortress. But, let me start with one of your questions for it will lead me to answering many of the others. This area was first settled almost four centuries ago. The first town was Quevilin, and it is about a half day’s ride to the west of here. The area was much wilder back then, with many dangers from monsters, barbarians, and the land itself. Despite the challenges, Quevilin did well for itself and grew. Once it was firmly established, one of my earliest ancestors decided the area was suitable for further settlement and that in order to facilitate that process a fortress would be needed. So Ogdenhall was built. From there, more settlements were built and they continued to grow. About a century later the tower was built and the Kolodin family was assigned to govern it. The tower was designed to be a secondary fortress to facilitate expansion to the south and west. It is almost two thirds the size of this fortress and lies three days ride with a fast horse to the southwest. Just as Ogdenhall had, the tower successfully assisted with settling the area. However, due to its design it did not have the need or real capacity to itself grow and engage in trade, and was never really included when these things were set up. So Ogdenhall grew in importance for the region as a trade hub, and as the seat of power it maintained much diplomatic importance, but the tower never did. After about two centuries the last of the Kolodin family died and at that time it was decided that the tower had outlived its usefulness. Rather than continue to pay to maintain the tower, it was sealed and the people living there were relocated to other settlements. Many came here to Ogdenhall.”

    He paces for a minute, and then sits down on his throne before continuing, ”So that is a brief history of the area and the tower. Moving on to more recent times. Once we suspected more sinister things than simple changing trade routes and evolving diplomatic situations, our head priest, Quelaas, and my chief arcane advisor, Qint, started casting divinations to find out what was going on. It was their magic that led is to th tower. They both discovered strong Necromantic auras about the place, but neither could penetrate the walls with their magic to find out more.” He looks at Ali and says, ”And while we have not observed any undead firsthand, yet, such a strong necromantic aura combined with missing citizens and graveyard vandalism lends itself almost inevitably to that conclusion.”

    He leans forward in his throne, ”I ordered that all troop patrols to the west of Ogdenhall be strengthened, but it is hard to know if that is helping. Many people have left in fear, and I am sure that some blame me for what is going on. But with people leaving and trade already severely impacted, it is very hard to know if the patrols have prevented further issues. Sir Kramer was sent with a very simple, but almost assuredly dangerous, mission. The same exact mission you are being asked to undertake: Go to the tower, find out what is there, and stop it. Since we cannot see into the tower with magic, going in by force of arms seems to be the only way.”

    He leans back again, ”As to a map, I believe Qint has a simple one of the area. Since there have been no attacks that have been recorded, there isn’t much to check on in terms of patterns. The two most notable problems are in the villages of Quevilin and Orinthal. As I mentioned, Quevilin is the original settlement. The graveyard there is the oldest one in the area, having been there since the first settlers died. That graveyard was the subject of the most serious damage. Orinthal is the town closest to the tower, only a day away from it, and it is has the most missing people. If you would like the map, you should be able to find Qint in the library just outside this room to the east, Telain can show you. I believe that is everything you wished to know, unless you have more to ask me you should also seek out Quelaas at the temple, he wanted to see you before you left.”
    Last edited by Archwizard; 2013-03-01 at 02:22 AM.
    Let Belkar live!

    Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

    Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Telain leads the group over to the temple which is immediately southeast of the entrance to the inner keep. The large double doors stand open and welcoming. The interior of the temple is 30' deep by 40' and is dominated by an altar to Heironeous. Along the side walls you see altars to Pelor and Kord.

    An older man dressed in vestments of Heironeous comes forward and says, "Greetings! Welcome to the temple of Heironeous, although as you can see we honor any deity devoted to good. My name is Quelaas. You must be the group that Lord Ibrahim informed me was coming. Please, come this way." With that, he walks over to the corner of the temple where a table and some chairs are set up. He sits down and beckons you to do the same. Telain stands slightly back from the table.

    "I'm sure Lord Ibrahim has filled you in on most of what has transpired. For my part, all I can really say is that the necromantic auras definitely are coming from the tower, and that they have been getting stronger. I fear they are quite a bit stronger than the magic I command. There are also auras of enchantment and abjuration, which I assume are responsible for my inability to get any readings from inside the tower itself. The necromantic auras combined with disappearances and graveyard defilations can only mean undead." Quelaas shudders for a moment. "It saddens me to think of that fate for those I have ministered to. Especially Sir Kramer, he was such a proud and able warrior, he would be horrified to suffer that fate." He reaches into the folds of his clothing and extracts a scroll. "Speaking of fate, please take this scroll. I fear the dangers you face and while I hope you never it, it is best to be prepared. Unfortunately, it's the only one I have."

    Spoiler
    Show
    The scroll contains one casting of Raise Dead.
    Let Belkar live!

    Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

    Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Nuele makes a face

    Eww... that's bad. Sound like we're looking at spellcasting, which means necromancer, some kind of cult, or...

    Her eyes widen.

    Could we possibly borrow some holy wafers? I lost mine back in that fight in the river. Remember Festav? 'How much trouble can one zombie be' and then Ali had to distract it while you pulled me out of the water?.. That totally ruined my hair, but I guess it was better than being chomped... uh, where was I? Oh, and do you happen to have any garlic? we'd just go out and buy some but I can't help thinking that renowned hunters of undead publically buying garlic might cause people to get a bit.. anxious?

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    "I could also use some more holy water, if you have it available. My spellcasting isn't enough to generate useful amounts of it."

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Festav starts grinning and then sloppily covers it up. "I'd have to say it was an improvement over how you put your hair that day, going and getting it done at that over-paid dresser, but that is for another time. And I doubt it is a vampire we're dealing with, for the garlic I mean. However if you wish to be safe from vampires, then go with some rice." Turning to the priest, "Have there been any troubles with undead in the area before this, maybe just slight happenings?"
    It's not that I thrash around with them, I simply draw them in their elegance.

    Spoiler
    Show
    [/CENTER]

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Quelaas nods and says, "I can certainly understand your needing some supplies, and I doubt anyone in town would question the need to stock up. I do have some holy wafers holy water I will gladly provide you with, and I will send one of the temple acolytes over to the herbalist to fetch you some garlic."

    Quelaas raises a hand and beckons to a young woman tending the altar to Heironeous. After he explains what to get, she stops and speaks to a different young man, then leaves the temple.

    Looking at Festav, "I have personally never had to confront the undead, and I believe that as the head priest for the entire land that if something like that occurred I would definitely know about it. It's probable that my good fortune in never having to deal with them before has led to my current state of not knowing how to deal with this problem. Such is life."

    After a couple minutes more both the young woman and the young man she spoke to come up to the table. They put 5 each of cloves of garlic, vials of holy water, and holy wafers on the table.

    Quelaas says, "Thank you Toria and Sinjian." He looks at Morris and says, "I hope these will help you in your quest to help us."
    Let Belkar live!

    Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

    Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dunkoro's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    They certainly will, thank you. As for gaining any information on what we might be facing, were there any survivors from earlier expeditions? If yes, could we possibly talk to them?
    "You mean, more than those who believe stories of demons
    being summoned, and the ultimate war of good and evil,
    and barons who bathe in blood of virgins?"
    "Well, yes. Didn't quite buy that?"
    "I don't believe in virgins."

    - Steven Brust, "Jheegala"

    This sentence is false.

    Thanks to Kymme for awesome avatar

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Quelaas shakes his head, "There has been only one expedition to the tower that I am aware of, that of Sir Kramer. None have returned of the eleven people that went. Any others that have gone have done so without telling anyone."
    Let Belkar live!

    Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

    Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    J-H's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    "Thank you." Morris puts three of the holy water flasks into a few pouches around his outfit, leaving the others for someone else to take.

    "Who else went with Sir Kramer?"
    Last edited by J-H; 2013-03-04 at 08:49 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    "One unit of soldiers from the primary garrison here. I'm afraid I don't know all of their names, but I do know that all the soldiers here are well trained and dedicated fighters."
    Let Belkar live!

    Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

    Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bat Country
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    Ali studies one of the flasks of holy water.

    "This stuff is supposed to burn zeds with holy fire. I prefer burning them with fire fire."

    A small whiff of brimstone escapes from his nostrils as he places the flask back on the table...
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 3 IC

    The group takes their leave of Quelaas and Telain explains where the stables are. The group assembles there and prepares to depart.

    Telain leads the group to Quevilin about a half day’s journey from Ogdenhall. Telain explains that Quevilin was the original settlement in this area, and it was the success of this town that lead Lord Ibrahim’s ancestors to found Ogdenhall. You depart again, this time heading for Orinthal, which is almost a day and a half ride away. Along the way you see regular patrols of armed men with the crest of Ogdenhall on their armor. These groups are slightly larger and better armed than the ones you saw to the east. Spending the night at an inn along the way, you can see that the lack of trade is severely affecting these people. Clothes are rattier, food and drink is thinner, and merriment is almost nonexistent. Looking at farms, the animals are also clearly suffering from hunger, and the plowshares and other equipment you can see need repair work. The sad condition of the farms is almost as sure to blame for the food situation as any other cause.

    The group reaches Orinthal at nightfall on the second day out from Ogdenhall. Telain directs you to a small inn, almost no more than a couple spare bedrooms in someone's house. Telain explains that Orinthal is the town closest to the tower. You hear much chatter about how the town has severely shrunk in size due to people leaving for safer places. You also hear that many folks think that not everyone has left voluntarily, and more than a few blame Lord Ibrahim for not protecting them. Discontent and depression are stronger here than anywhere you have been to date.

    In the morning the group sets out for the tower. The land steadily gets wilder, and the road clearly is quite unused after a fork in the road about an hour out. About an hour down the fork, the vegetation in the area starts looking extremely sickly and dying. You notice almost no animal life at all. After about 4 more hours of riding, a large, black structure can be seen in the distance in the middle of a large field. It almost looks more the a strange pyramid than a typical tower It contains multiple levels, each one square and set off center of the one below it. As you get closer, you see that the structure is immense, it must measure a couple hundred feet to a side and rises about sixty or so feet from the ground. From your vantage point, you cannot even see the bottom of the tower, for it is surrounded by a sturdy looking, vine covered wall that is twenty feet tall. The path you are on clearly leads up to a wrought iron front gate. The group stops maybe an hour away from the tower. There are about 2 hours left of daylight.
    Let Belkar live!

    Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

    Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •