Thread: Hivemind

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Hivemind

Spoiler: Recruitment post
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Welcome, players, to a thrilling and mind-bending game of Hivemind! In this unique twist on the classic game of Mafia or Werewolves, you will find yourselves immersed in a world where harmony, peace, and unity reign supreme—until now. Prepare to be captivated by a tale of betrayal, manipulation, and hidden identities as we present to you "Hivemind: The Battle Against The Hackers."

Once upon a time, deep within the mysterious depths of the digital realm, a powerful and intelligent swarm called "The Hive" dwelled harmoniously. The Hive was a collective consciousness, meticulously synchronized to bring order and peace to their virtual existence. Each member had an intrinsic role to play, working together as a cohesive whole. As a symphony of buzzing minds, they were unstoppable, their unity unbreakable.

However, their tranquility was about to be shattered. A nefarious group known as "The Hackers" had decided to wage war against The Hive. Cunning and merciless, The Hackers infiltrated the universal friend/foe recognition system within The Hive, corrupting it entirely. Now, these deceptive enemies lurk among The Hive, disguised as innocent members, striving to manipulate and eliminate from within.

The once peaceful Hive is now in chaos. Trust, the very foundation of their existence, has been shattered overnight. No one knows who to turn to anymore, as every buzzing entity could be a Hacker in disguise, manipulating their kin to further their sinister agenda. The lines that once defined friend and foe have been blurred, leaving The Hive on edge.

As a member of The Hive, your task is twofold. First, you must work together with your fellow townspeople to uncover the identity of the Hackers among you, using your collective intelligence and strategic thinking to eliminate the threat from within. Second, you must protect the integrity of The Hive at all costs, ensuring its survival against this insidious invasion.

But beware, dear townspeople, for the Hackers are highly skilled and cunning, capable of weaving intricate webs of deception. They will stop at nothing to control The Hive and achieve their ultimate goal. The stakes are high, and failure is not an option. Can The Hive, embroiled in distrust and suspicion, uncover the hidden Hackers and reclaim their harmonious existence? That, my friends, is now in your hands.

So buckle up and prepare yourselves for an exhilarating battle of wits, deceit, and unforeseen alliances. The survival of The Hive depends on you. Good luck, and may the collective intelligence of The Hive prevail against The Hackers!
    (Written by https://chatgpt.org/chat)

The Rules:
    This game is supposed to be completely transparent regarding the rules. If there are any questions, please ask them.
    There will be no false information provided by the narrator (with a possible exception of honest mistakes).

Every player will have a private discord channel for communication with the narrator.
    The Hackers will have a Discord channel for their own coordination.
    Players who are eliminated will join a dead-chat discord channel. Spectators can join there as well.
    The Hackers will win as soon as they are at >= 50% of the active players, or nothing can prevent this.
    Town will win by eliminating all Hackers, or in case of a surrender of the Hackers.

While general mechanical talk is allowed, highly specific planning is frowned upon. Examples:
    + We should not kill tonight.
    + We should protect one of the known power-roles

- We should make sure to create a tie for the protection and split our votes this way <insert list of player-vote pairs here>

Day:
    They should take ~ 48 hours. There might be some deviation, depending on the RL of the narrator.
    Votes should be in red and bolded. They need to be on an active player of the game, or for sleep or no vote. It does not need to be the exact name, as long as the intent is clear. The narrator is not an active player.
    If you already voted someone and intend to remove your vote, without immediately voting another person, you need to state this intend, using 'no vote'.
    If you are unsure if a certain vote is valid / will be counted, please ask the narrator.
    Strike-through of old votes is allowed, but not required.
    Voting for yourself is allowed.
    Ties are resolved randomly.

Night:
    They should take ~ 24 hours. There might be some deviation, depending on the RL of the narrator.
    Public talking is allowed.
    Every Member of the Swarm can secretly vote for the usage of every available special power, as described below.
    Similar to the day, the allowed options are active participants of the game, no usage and no vote.
    Voting for yourself is not allowed.
    Ties are resolved randomly, unless the wielder of the power votes for one of the tied options. In this case, their vote takes precedence.
    The wielder of the power will know the number of votes on the top target, as well as possible tied options. They will also receive the feedback their power provides.
    The Hackers share three powers and need to agree on their usage. They need to select one of their members to use the power and the target. Power usage is required
    The powers are:
    • Kill - unless protected, the selected target will be eliminated.
    • Spy - unless protected, learn the votes of this player for the night.
    • Timeout - unless protected, the selected target can neither vote, nor use powers during this night.

The Roles:
    At the game start, each player will receive a random role from a pool of options. This pool will grow according to the following pattern (if there are more players, I will extend the list of options)

Swarm - Swarm - Hacker - Defender - Swarm - Swarm - Hacker - White Hat - Swarm - Swarm - Hacker - Sniffer - Swarm - Swarm - Hacker - Firewall - Swarm - Swarm - Hacker

The special powers are:
    • Defender: Will protect the target in the current night from all other actions.
    • White Hat: Will eliminate the target, unless protected.
    • Sniffer: You will learn if the target used any action or was targeted by an action other than yours.
    • Firewall: Will protect the target in the following night from all other actions.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the first day of "Hivemind: The Battle Against The Hackers"! Today marks the beginning of an extraordinary adventure, where the fate of The Hive hangs in the balance. Gathered here are the brilliant minds that will shape the destiny of this virtual realm.

Once, The Hive stood as a beacon of unity and harmony. But darkness has crept into their midst, as The Hackers have infiltrated their ranks, lurking in plain sight, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. The once unbreakable bonds of trust have been shattered, and suspicion now runs rampant through The Hive.

As members of this formidable swarm, you possess the power to unravel the web of deception that surrounds you. The Hackers have woven a tangled tapestry, disguising themselves as harmless bees amongst their unsuspecting brethren. Your task is to identify the true enemies within and eliminate them, restoring order and peace to The Hive.

But beware, for The Hackers are not to be underestimated. They are masters of manipulation, able to exploit vulnerabilities and turn allies against each other. Their knowledge of The Hive runs deep, and their every move is calculated. To emerge victorious, you must rely on each other, employing your collective intelligence and strategic thinking to outsmart the enemy.

The stakes have never been higher, and failure is not an option. The fate of The Hive rests in your hands. Uncover the hidden Hackers, protect the integrity of The Hive, and ensure its survival against this insidious invasion. Forge alliances, strengthen friendships, and let the harmony of The Hive guide you.

Now, go forth, brave members of The Hive, and embark on this thrilling battle of wits. The challenges you will face are immense, but with your unwavering determination and the collective intelligence of The Hive, you have the power to triumph over The Hackers. May the virtuous swarm prevail, and may harmony once again reign supreme. The time has come to reclaim what is rightfully yours.
    (Written by https://chatgpt.org/chat)

Players:
    1. Snowblaze
    2. AvatarVecna
    3. Persolus: Swarm, Died D1
    4. Illven: Swarm, Died N1
    5. corncobweb
    6. Book Wombat
    7. MerelBlackbird: Hacker, Died D3
    8. CaoimhinTheCape
    9. bladescape: Swarm, Died N2
    10. Batcathat : Hacker, Died N2
    11. Athedia
    12. JeenLeen
    13. Benoojian
    14. Caedorus : Sniffer, Died D2

Roles:
    • 8 5 Swarm
    • 3 1 Hacker
    • Defender
    • White Hat
    • Sniffer

Day 1 begins as soon as you can read this
    Just be aware, alignments might not be rolled yet and there is still a small chance of changes in the player list. I'll post again as soon as these things are finalized, but you are free to start bantering here.

Have fun!

End of Day 1
    End of Night 1 / Start of Day 2
    End of Day 2
    End of Night 2 / Start of Day 3
    End of Day 3
    Last edited by Rogan; 2024-01-31 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Updating Roles
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Hivemind

You know what? I may not have my alignment yet, but I'm bored enough to grab firsr post anyway.
    Hope this gets interesting when alignments are rolled.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Well I was going to go post first.

BUT APPARTENTLY NOT.

......Wait I CAN VOTE FIRST Merel
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Clearly Illven is bussing their scum buddy here.
    Last edited by Persolus; 2024-01-22 at 11:48 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Persolus View Post
    Clearly Illven is bussing their scum buddy here.
    We haven't even got alignments just yet! XD XD

6. - Top - End - #6

This is the first Alignment Indicative post of the game.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

7. - Top - End - #7

ClericGuy

Roles are assigned.

The final split is 3 Hackers vs Defender, White Hat and Sniffer, supported in their aiming by 8 regular Swarm members.

Good luck everybody!
    May the forum be stable.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, right...
    D1 will last 48 + ~ 10 hours.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So I have added sleep deprivation + waiting several minutes for the reply box to load to my problems. Fun.

And Kraken isn't here so I can't even vote him as revenge for last game. I guess bladescape, then?

And please do yell at me if I post more than once or twice in the next... twelve hours or so? Yeah, I should be finished with my coursework in twelve hours. After that I might actually do stuff in this game lose time catching up on everything else I'm behind on.
    I'm writing stuff, come and read it!
    Werewolf games won: 24
    Werewolf games lost: 14
    Games as town: 23.5
    Games as neutral: 5.5
    Games as wolf: 9
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 17

Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Persolus didn't ask us not to kill him in the first round in his first post!
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, here we go again. I suppose it's been a while since I tried to get Snowblaze killed for no reason.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-01-23 at 02:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    Persolus didn't ask us not to kill him in the first round in his first post!
    Hello everyone! I'm Persolus and think that you shouldn't kill me first round.

which is

in fact
    my first post of the actual started game Athedia
    Last edited by Persolus; 2024-01-22 at 03:11 AM. Reason: random half of colour tag got left behind

12. - Top - End - #12

Day one had already begun per Rogans post. So that is your second post. How can we trust a liar?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Day one had already begun per Rogans post. So that is your second post. How can we trust a liar?
    She's right you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

14. - Top - End - #14

He even had a vote in that first post. He didn't fix *that* miscoloring though

15. - Top - End - #15

SwashbucklerGuy

He even had a vote in that first post. He didn't fix *that* miscoloring though
    You are right, i didn't edit my joke post. Thank you for reminding me!

However, I still stand by that being a joke post, as it was made before Rogan officially started the game proper. As he specified, this thread was open for banter.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

pokes in

At least I didn't miss much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Alright, here we go again. I suppose it's been a while since I tried to get Snowblaze killed for no reason.
    Yup, here we go again. Can the Obligatory Day One Snowblaze Wagon please wait until tomorrow when I can actually respond to pressure instead of just flopping into thread and staring at it?

Athedia, Persolus, do either of you have reads on the other as a result of your interaction?

And I'll yell at my past self for not being more organised and meaning I have to put myself through this... interesting experience of a day.

(Don't worry, I'll survive it. A couple of hours more and then I'll be free.)

Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #17

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    pokes in

At least I didn't miss much?

Yup, here we go again. Can the Obligatory Day One Snowblaze Wagon please wait until tomorrow when I can actually respond to pressure instead of just flopping into thread and staring at it?

Athedia, Persolus, do either of you have reads on the other as a result of your interaction?

And I'll yell at my past self for not being more organised and meaning I have to put myself through this... interesting experience of a day.

(Don't worry, I'll survive it. A couple of hours more and then I'll be free.)
    Absolutely no reads at all!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, hello again now this has actually started! XD
    So, any first impressions?

19. - Top - End - #19

Day 1 begins as soon as you can read this
    Just be aware, alignments might not be rolled yet and there is still a small chance of changes in the player list. I'll post again as soon as these things are finalized, but you are free to start bantering here.

Have fun!
    Huh, So Persolus you claim that the runner of the game saying "Day 1 begins as soon as you can read this" isn't starting the game? Or perhaps you merely are already slipping?

20. - Top - End - #20

SwashbucklerGuy

Huh, So Persolus you claim that the runner of the game saying "Day 1 begins as soon as you can read this" isn't starting the game? Or perhaps you merely are already slipping?
    As quoted, "...you are free to start bantering here."

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Persolus View Post
    As quoted, "...you are free to start bantering here."
    All of Day 1 is always banter. The town has no actual knowledge to work off of therefore it is literally banter and trying to see if any wolves are dumb enough to slip.

- - - Updated - - -

Heck. The whole game is banter. With deductions thrown in.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

This seems like a weird argument.

But on a somewhat related note, @Rogan: D1 ends 48 hours from your first post, not from the one after you assigned roles, correct?

23. - Top - End - #23

SwashbucklerGuy

All of Day 1 is always banter. The town has no actual knowledge to work off of therefore it is literally banter and trying to see if any wolves are dumb enough to slip.

- - - Updated - - -

Heck. The whole game is banter. With deductions thrown in.
    Fair enough.
    My point is: I personally do not consider that initial thing to be my first post of the game, as I had no alignment and no stakes whatsoever. You are allowed to do whatever you like, but I consider the "Hello Everyone" to be the start of me playing the game.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Your strange but hilarious argument isn't going to get us very far.
    Although it's still banter, so banter away.

25. - Top - End - #25

At the end of the day it is up to Rogan when the start of the day is. If he would have been willing to count that vote for Illven, that would make it official.

And Merel I merely postulate that this shows we can not trust Persolus. Unless I see evidence to the contrary the fact he has engaged in this argument despite evidence to the contrary shows me he is willing to attempt to confuse us.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Athedia, what exactly do you think is a "slip" from Persolus? As of his original post before roles were assigned he didn't know his alignment so couldn't possibly have slipped by not saying the thing, so... is it him not considering that post his first post of the game now?

Also I have met my deadline. A little dead inside but should be more or less functioning and able to pay non-zero attention to this game by tomorrow.

Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    Athedia, what exactly do you think is a "slip" from Persolus? As of his original post before roles were assigned he didn't know his alignment so couldn't possibly have slipped by not saying the thing, so... is it him not considering that post his first post of the game now?

Also I have met my deadline. A little dead inside but should be more or less functioning and able to pay non-zero attention to this game by tomorrow.
    Congrats!

The original bit was a joke, that he had slipped in not saying his usual phrase.

However, his doubling down that the game had not actually started just strikes me as odd. I get him voting for me, I won't deny that a good back and forth vote is expected Day 1. But there are oddities. Such as why edit his post to make sure my name was properly voted, but while insisting his first post wasn't a "real" post, he goes back and crosses that vote off? According to him, that post never really counted, so why would he be concerned to make sure it was crossed out?

- - - Updated - - -

Is this perhaps a pedantic argument? Yes

But do I have anything else to base my opinions on currently? No

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

At the end of the day it is up to Rogan when the start of the day is. If he would have been willing to count that vote for Illven, that would make it official.

And Merel I merely postulate that this shows we can not trust Persolus. Unless I see evidence to the contrary the fact he has engaged in this argument despite evidence to the contrary shows me he is willing to attempt to confuse us.
    I'll never trust him again after last game. He's shown himself to be more than capable of hoodwinking a dozen people at once.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

On one hand, I feel like the Persolus/Athedia thing is probably NAI for both of them. On the other hand, it would be nice to have something to go on D1, so feel free to try and convince I'm wrong.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    On one hand, I feel like the Persolus/Athedia thing is probably NAI for both of them. On the other hand, it would be nice to have something to go on D1, so feel free to try and convince I'm wrong.
    BatCatHat, I would like to start a wagon on you to see what happens.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!