New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS death pool (thread #4)

Well...its risky, because if I'm wrong I'll probably be out of the betting for quite some time...but put me down for Belkar
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm...this is getting tricky. We're near the end of the book, and I think we're probably done with major deaths: the summoned creatures will bite it, but I don't reckon that anyone in the Order, the LG or Team Evil will die until the next book. Belkar looks like the smart choice, as we know his number is up sooner rather than later. But "sooner" could still be (say) halfway through the next book, and we could have more characters introduced in that time, as well as (potentially) a showdown with Tarquin and the LG before then. Kilkil might be a good bet if that does happen. On the other hand, those calling Lien (or, less likely IMO), O-Chul are playing decent longshots; if Team Evil show up at Kragor's Gate, this could be bad news for our favourite paladins.

In short, I don't know, so I'll defer my choice until the next arc.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

3. - Top - End - #273

I'm not sure whether the Silicon Elemental died or not, but it's irrelevant; according to the rules it doesn't count as a death for our purposes (since it doesn't have 10 appearances and nobody bet on it).

Edit: The Giant clarifies here that it was in fact killed, but like I said it's irrelevant for our purposes. No changing bets yet.
    Last edited by Sniffnoy; 2013-08-09 at 11:59 AM.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

4. - Top - End - #274

ClericGirl

Ok, well the 'Haley is killed by the Elemental' train seems to have come to a screeching halt. Change my vote to Blackwing

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'll try my luck with Nale now.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

6. - Top - End - #276

I'm thinking it's reasonable to allow bets on the barbed devil at this point, if people want. It's only 1 short of 10 appearances, it'll certainly show up again, and it's supposed to stick around until midnight, so it has a little bit of permanence and thus significance.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

I shall enter... with.... Belkar.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

I'll switch from Belkar to open if I can, and will switch next death if no. Belkar is now safe for a book.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

I guess Barbed Devil is no longer an option...
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    I'll switch from Belkar to open if I can, and will switch next death if no. Belkar is now safe for a book.
    There isn't any need to switch to open (I'm just going to ignore this "switch"). You can just switch when you want, since your bet was made before Zz'dtri's death. You don't lose any points for betting on the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    I guess Barbed Devil is no longer an option...
    No, we don't have any indication that the Barbed Devil is gone, and we've explicitly been told that (barring anything happening) he's sticking around till midnight, which seems to be a while away yet. Indeed I just posted above that I'm now going to allow bets on the Barbed Devil. (Probably should have done this after #909. Oops. Oh well.)

11. - Top - End - #281
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

I remember not being able to able to find this thread right after Dukon bit it, er was bit. Oddly enough my earlier prediction about Nale proactively double-crossing Malack came true even though the circumstances were very different.

My guess is Tarquin does not have the juice to make it the next round. His death would provide some angst for Elan. Tarquin is used to having Malack to steady him. Kilkil may be a surprise survivor. So Tarquin is my next prediction. The trouble with Belkar dying now is that the Order actually has a Cleric and Durkon's allignment change means he's might be more pragmatic bringing Belkar back if he's useful.

12. - Top - End - #282

Not making - technically, changing - a prediction yet, but from a narrative standpoint there's little reason for either Nale or Tarquin to survive to the next arc. If they try to march into the rift, there's a good chance the first one will be destroyed by the snarl.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'd like to enter this, with a bet on Haley's father.

14. - Top - End - #284

I guess I'd like to change my bet to... Tarquin.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

I'll start with a bet on Tarquin.

He's been the main antagonist of this book and as of #910, he appears to have amassed a giant army for some sort of final showdown. He's evil and he basically looks unbeatable and we need some sort of closing for this book. IMO he's as good as dead.

Could very well be wrong, but I'll wait and see.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'd like to enter with Nale. Just got a gut feeling. So many people have been dropping like flies, and it would be so fitting and satisfying if Nale bit it next, once and for all getting rid of him.

Tarquin will not be happy he dusted Malack. Maybe impressed, but not happy nonetheless. Nale just got lucky. He also won't be happy he completely blew the gate plan, plus didn't even get a hold of the "ritual" from Xykon. Nothing says it better than:

"You have failed me for the last time!!"

In fact I'd love it if a dinosaur ate Nale.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2013-08-14 at 03:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, dumb-nitpickey-rules-question-with-obvious-answer-time: Does a characters being unmade by the Snarl count as a death?
    Last edited by Silver Swift; 2013-08-14 at 03:53 PM.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'll switch my bet to Nale

19. - Top - End - #289

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Crow View Post
    Ok, dumb-nitpickey-rules-question-with-obvious-answer-time: Does a characters being unmade by the Snarl count as a death?
    Yes. I've added it to the rulings section.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Well, Giant has stated that the point of this book is to deal with the conflict with the Linear Guild. It's unclear if Tarquin gets rolled into that or not, but it's certainly possible. Tarquin, Nale and Belkar seem like the most obvious possibilities, but with Malack already dead and Tarquin leading a massive army, it seems like it'd be cheap for Tarquin to bit the bullet anytime soon (I mean, he IS supposed to be a near-epic level adventurer and strong enough to best, or at least equal the OOTS in combat single-handedly).

So I'd say that other than "random character x" (like spiked devil) it's probably down to Nale or Belkar. Screw it, I'll stay with Belkar.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Banned

Daemon

I put a theory in another thread which became wildly popular that Geoff is Miron in disguise. If Geoff is revealed as Miron, what happens to his bets?

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to get in on this and put my bet on Nale as the next to bite the dust.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    I put a theory in another thread which became wildly popular that Geoff is Miron in disguise. If Geoff is revealed as Miron, what happens to his bets?
    I guess they'd get combined, then? I'll go add it to the rulings section...

Edit: Oh wait. You mean not "What if Haley's uncle Geoff and Miron are actually the same person"; you mean "What if the character we know as Geoff is Miron in disguise, and Haley's real uncle Geoff is elsewhere". That's trickier. I think I would still count bets as Geoff as bets on Miron in that case; it seems reasonable to interpret bets on "Geoff" as bets on "the character we know as Geoff" rather than "whichever character happens to be named Geoff". I mean, unless the bet had been placed before we ever met Geoff on-panel, but the thread has not been running that long...
    Last edited by Sniffnoy; 2013-08-15 at 11:30 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294

A scenario: Belkar goes missing. Nale dies. Several people change votes after Nale dies from Belkar to Haley. Belkar is revealed to have died after he went missing, before Nale died. What happens?

The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!

25. - Top - End - #295

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    A scenario: Belkar goes missing. Nale dies. Several people change votes after Nale dies from Belkar to Haley. Belkar is revealed to have died after he went missing, before Nale died. What happens?
    Fortunately, RSLee already thought of that; see rule 7. Belkar's death will be counted when his death is revealed, after Nale's.

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffnoy View Post
    Fortunately, RSLee already thought of that; see rule 7. Belkar's death will be counted when his death is revealed, after Nale's.
    Do you mean rule 8.a? Because I did read it, but assuming that a death occured before we knew about the initial death, who is it who gets points? I ask because many of the rules place importance on the in-comic chronology of the deaths.

So using my example again, when Belkar is found to have died before Nale, do the points go to the voters who were betting on him chronologically when he died, or to those who were betting on him when his corpse was revealed and he was confirmed dead?

27. - Top - End - #297

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    Do you mean rule 8.a? Because I did read it, but assuming that a death occured before we knew about the initial death, who is it who gets points? I ask because many of the rules place importance on the in-comic chronology of the deaths.

So using my example again, when Belkar is found to have died before Nale, do the points go to the voters who were betting on him chronologically when he died, or to those who were betting on him when his corpse was revealed and he was confirmed dead?
    Sorry, yes, I meant rule 8, in particular part a.

...reading it again, I suppose it actually is ambiguous on the issue. Still I'm pretty sure the intended meaning is that points would go to those who were beting on him when the corpse was revealed; and that's what I'm going to go with for logistical reasons if nothing else. I'll go clarify that. Thanks for pointing that out.

28. - Top - End - #298

Hey, not a problem. I doubt it would ever come up, but just in case I figured I would bring it up. I also thought that the time of the corpse reveal made sense as well, but I didn't want to sway your opinion, just bring up the possible issue.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Kilki is next I think
    (Currently afk halfway across the country.)

Attempting Homebrew:
    Requip Knight

30. - Top - End - #300
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Put me on Tarquin
    Yar! I'm a signature virus, copy me into your signature!

For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER.