New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS death pool (thread #4)

I think I'll bet on Scoundrél.Let's see how this goes...

2. - Top - End - #392
    Orc in the Playground

Bump after OOTS #937 (Travel Time), in anticipation of Belkar's imminent demise.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Well, I haven't changed my bet since just after Durkon got vampirised (at which point I suggested that there wouldn't be any more deaths this book! Shows how good at predicting I am! )

But now I think the next plot resolution will be the Starshine family, so I'm changing my bet to:

Uncle Geoff
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler: Can I have an internet?
    Show

4. - Top - End - #394

Well, I guess that wraps things up till April! (And looks like my bet is certainly not paying off.) Although if anyone wants to place them I will still process new bets in the meantime.

And before anyone asks: No, I'm not going to count vampire-Durkon as a separate character from actual-Durkon. The number of appearances thread may argue over how to count it, but there's no need to distinguish here, since they'll never both be not-dead at the same time.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

5. - Top - End - #395
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    Bump after OOTS #937 (Travel Time), in anticipation of Belkar's imminent demise.
    Great foresight, Dr. Gamera! (Or not -- Belkar alive through OOTS #947 with no particular danger in sight.)

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffnoy View Post
    Well, I guess that wraps things up till April! (And looks like my bet is certainly not paying off.) Although if anyone wants to place them I will still process new bets in the meantime.

And before anyone asks: No, I'm not going to count vampire-Durkon as a separate character from actual-Durkon. The number of appearances thread may argue over how to count it, but there's no need to distinguish here, since they'll never both be not-dead at the same time.
    I assume that this post is out-of-date and vampire-Durkon is now definitively a separate character (and can be named as a separate death pool option?) Since reasonably-speaking it's likely to assume that the spirit possessing Durkon is going to die (in the sense of its undeath passing into nonexistence) at some point in the story, which may or may not coincide with Durkon's resurrection.

7. - Top - End - #397

No, that still holds true. Bets placed on Durkon were placed before we knew of vampire-Durkon as a separate character, so it makes sense to transfer them. And it's still true that at most can be not-dead at one time; for Durkon to be resurrected, the vampire has to be destroyed first. And as undead themselves cannot be raised/resurrected, this leaves no way for both to be not-dead at the same time.

I might relabel it from "Durkon Thundershield" to "High Priest of Hel" and change the appearance stats appropriately (in the betting/appearance stats box), but it's ultimately not that important.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

8. - Top - End - #398

Bumping this thread since it's fallen off the front page. Not exactly the deadliest time right now...

9. - Top - End - #399

Once again, bumping this thread since it's fallen off the front page. Still not exactly the deadliest time...

10. - Top - End - #400
    Closed Account

Just popping in to find out what my current bet is. Tarquin, unfortunately. Seemed like easy money at the time, but I suppose his last appearance being him wailing impotently at the escaping protagonists after his entire world view was defied was more satisfying than any mere Dramatic Death.

11. - Top - End - #401

Bumping thread again, since it's been 45 days with nobody betting. But now the characters are back in a town. Last time that happened they quickly got into a fight! Nobody died, sure, but things may be about to heat up again.

(I've also updated the apperance counts; High Priest of Hel is quick racking up appearances.)

12. - Top - End - #402

The bumping continues, as nobody dies and no new bets are placed.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Might as well join the pool, I'm going to bet on the High Priest of Hel
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

14. - Top - End - #404

Wow, it's been over a year since the last death! My bet's still stuck on Tarquin.

15. - Top - End - #405

Quote Originally Posted by Tanar Aerdoth View Post
    Wow, it's been over a year since the last death! My bet's still stuck on Tarquin.
    I don't see you listed? I'm a little confused. (Meanwhile, my bet's stuck on the Barbed Devil...)
    Last edited by Sniffnoy; 2014-12-25 at 01:36 AM.

16. - Top - End - #406

Oh, that would be because my username changed. I was tman2nd before.

17. - Top - End - #407

OK, thanks, I've updated it appropriately!

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I will place my money on Belkar Bitterleaf.

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #409
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

smile Re: OOTS death pool (thread #4)

Placing my money on Bandana. She's the captain of a ship of "pirates", a relatively new character, is going up against an enemy who seems to be both stronger and more intelligent...
    As you can see, she's first on the list of characters to get Worfed.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was considering Crystal based on the events of #971, but I doubt this fight's gonna involve any fatalities, though I imagine either kidnapping, serious injury or plot development will occur. I've suspected for a while Mr. Snuggles is going to tragically die and incite character development in Belkar, so I'll bet on him.
    Last edited by ReturnOfTheKing; 2014-12-28 at 06:38 PM.
    Kudos to smuchmuch for the awesome 11th Doctor avatar!

21. - Top - End - #411

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheKing View Post
    I was considering Crystal based on the events of #971, but I doubt this fight's gonna involve any fatalities, though I imagine either kidnapping, serious injury or plot development will occur. I've suspected for a while Mr. Snuggles is going to tragically die and incite character development in Belkar, so I'll bet on him.
    Just to be clear, I'm counting that as a bet on Mr. Scruffy.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Dwarf in the Playground

Haley Starshine.

She just defeated and killed Crystal. It serves no plot purpose to revive Crystal, send the zombie to a town they just arrived at, to kill her off again. So, odds of Crystal surviving this encounter are high. If she survives the encounter, against at a minimum, these three good allies, then she has to inflict serious damage, meaning, enough to kill, most likely. She also has little interest in killing anyone but Haley Starshine, who is her rival and favored target, and she has a grudge against her and wants revenge.

Furthermore, killing off named Bandana, while a strong possibility regardless, accomplishes little for Crystal and leaves Haley and Elan alive. She's already inflicted massive damage on Elan the Bard, with a single punch, perhaps enough to knock him unconscious, which means Elan likely survives this encounter.

Bandana is also not strong enough to pose a serious threat to Crystal, from what we know of both of them. Ergo, if Crystal can slay Haley while Elan is down, she can also escape from the encounter without being killed by Bandana, which is what I figure is the most likely interpretation of what needs to be accomplished by this latest plot development- Haley goes down, and must be revived, so she can score one final victory over Crystal later on in the story.

Otherwise, Crystal gets killed here by Bandana, which will make little sense unless it involves the magic wands Haley just got. Perhaps one which contains the turn undead spell. Crystal falling to Bandana means that Haley wouldn't be the one to deliver the payback for attacking Haley. Crystal may also not be alone, which increases the odds she scores a lethal blow against Haley, who although has a useful ally in Bandana, won't have enough strength combined to fend off a more dangerous Crystal-and-accomplices.

While I think the odds of this analysis being incorrect are considerable, nothing that has transpired over the entire narrative thusfar has made me think of Haley as anything less than immortal, for the purposes of the story.

Spoiler
    Show
    Even when Tarquin attacked Haley, I predicted Haley would not only prevail, but be integral to defeating Tarquin. I actually called it that Tarquin would fall to Haley, and not Elan or Vaarsuvius or anyone else; although Tarquin did "fall" it wasn't a death as I thought it would be. And it wasn't by the method I thought it would be, meaning, by Tarquin's own blade or by the one Haley got from defeating Crystal.

All being said, I don't feel VERY confident in this wager, but I still think that if Haley is ever going to bite it, it's about to happen.
    Fleeing Coward: "We're both agreed that Banjo and I should be the next 2 to die, why are you so desperate to lynch me over Banjo today?"
    Pizzaguy: "Because there is a void, an emptiness in my soul, from having killed poor Eldritch Knight. And I can fill that void with your corpse, and put my danged pizza back on my avatar."

Pizzaguy: "I'm gonna try and bane the folks you try to murder. It will be a fun game of cat and mouse."

Pizzaguy: "Mason, Baner, Seer, is not a coincidence."

23. - Top - End - #413

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Haley Starshine.

She just defeated and killed Crystal. It serves no plot purpose to revive Crystal, send the zombie to a town they just arrived at, to kill her off again. So, odds of Crystal surviving this encounter are high. If she survives the encounter, against at a minimum, these three good allies, then she has to inflict serious damage, meaning, enough to kill, most likely. She also has little interest in killing anyone but Haley Starshine, who is her rival and favored target, and she has a grudge against her and wants revenge.

Furthermore, killing off named Bandana, while a strong possibility regardless, accomplishes little for Crystal and leaves Haley and Elan alive. She's already inflicted massive damage on Elan the Bard, with a single punch, perhaps enough to knock him unconscious, which means Elan likely survives this encounter.

Bandana is also not strong enough to pose a serious threat to Crystal, from what we know of both of them. Ergo, if Crystal can slay Haley while Elan is down, she can also escape from the encounter without being killed by Bandana, which is what I figure is the most likely interpretation of what needs to be accomplished by this latest plot development- Haley goes down, and must be revived, so she can score one final victory over Crystal later on in the story.

Otherwise, Crystal gets killed here by Bandana, which will make little sense unless it involves the magic wands Haley just got. Perhaps one which contains the turn undead spell. Crystal falling to Bandana means that Haley wouldn't be the one to deliver the payback for attacking Haley. Crystal may also not be alone, which increases the odds she scores a lethal blow against Haley, who although has a useful ally in Bandana, won't have enough strength combined to fend off a more dangerous Crystal-and-accomplices.

While I think the odds of this analysis being incorrect are considerable, nothing that has transpired over the entire narrative thusfar has made me think of Haley as anything less than immortal, for the purposes of the story.

Spoiler
    Show
    Even when Tarquin attacked Haley, I predicted Haley would not only prevail, but be integral to defeating Tarquin. I actually called it that Tarquin would fall to Haley, and not Elan or Vaarsuvius or anyone else; although Tarquin did "fall" it wasn't a death as I thought it would be. And it wasn't by the method I thought it would be, meaning, by Tarquin's own blade or by the one Haley got from defeating Crystal.

All being said, I don't feel VERY confident in this wager, but I still think that if Haley is ever going to bite it, it's about to happen.
    Good bet.
    We'll see which one of us, if any one of us, wins.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Dwarf in the Playground

In fact, given the green-face pair of eyes from the previous panel, versus a purple-looking Crystal, I'd say there's little question Crystal brought others to assist in Haley's assassination.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dwarf in the Playground

In fact, given the green-face pair of eyes from the previous panel, versus a purple-looking Crystal, I'd say there's little question Crystal brought others to assist in Haley's assassination.
    Or it could just be unrelated foreshadowing to a return by the Linear Guild? A thought - what if, after Nale's fate, the Linear Guild has switched sides and decided to assist the Order of the Stick, and the green dude is Thog preparing to ambush Crystal? Unlikely, of course, especially since Tarquin is out of the picture for now, but anything's possible.
    Kudos to smuchmuch for the awesome 11th Doctor avatar!

26. - Top - End - #416
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheKing View Post
    Or it could just be unrelated foreshadowing to a return by the Linear Guild? A thought - what if, after Nale's fate, the Linear Guild has switched sides and decided to assist the Order of the Stick, and the green dude is Thog preparing to ambush Crystal? Unlikely, of course, especially since Tarquin is out of the picture for now, but anything's possible.
    I disagree that it is unrelated- however, I think you are on the right track in that Sabine is almost certainly more likely to assist the Order of the Stick (again) than side with Tarquin. And, I think you're also on the right track in that Thog's death was never confirmed, and deliberately so, by Tarquin himself. So green eyes can very well mean Thog is there.

I would not bet against the person with the green face being Thog. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than 50/50 odds, so no bet for or against, here. But Thog is absolutely a contender for the identity of that person.

I doubt Thog is smart enough to consider assisting Haley on his own- I rather think that Thog would only do so if Sabine were to ask him to do so, and tell him that Tarquin killed Nale. Then, Thog might wish to avenge Nale by helping Not-Nale nail Nale and Not Nale's père.

Thog is perhaps my favorite or second favorite character in the story, so, if he were to return, I would squee.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2014-12-31 at 05:33 PM.

27. - Top - End - #417

GreenSorcererElf

I disagree that it is unrelated- however, I think you are on the right track in that Sabine is almost certainly more likely to assist the Order of the Stick (again) than side with Tarquin. And, I think you're also on the right track in that Thog's death was never confirmed, and deliberately so, by Tarquin himself. So green eyes can very well mean Thog is there.

I would not bet against the person with the green face being Thog. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than 50/50 odds, so no bet for or against, here. But Thog is absolutely a contender for the identity of that person.

I doubt Thog is smart enough to consider assisting Haley on his own- I rather think that Thog would only do so if Sabine were to ask him to do so, and tell him that Tarquin killed Nale. Then, Thog might wish to avenge Nale by helping Not-Nale nail Nale and Not Nale's père.

Thog is perhaps my favorite or second favorite character in the story, so, if he were to return, I would squee.
    Fun fact: I really don't get why everyone likes Thog.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GM_3826 View Post
    He's quite amusing. I find it understandable. I don't understand how people can find him to be not Evil, but that's a different matter.

Peelee’s Lotsey

29. - Top - End - #419
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GM_3826 View Post
    I like Thog for the humor value- the Giant writes his lines, so the lines are written by an intelligent guy who is writing for an incredibly stupid character. But it isn't all "duh" and drooling, there are glimpses of the Giant's sense of humor plastered all over Thog's dialogue. Especially the parts where his vocabulary becomes temporarily polysyllabic for the sake of a joke.

Some excepts of stuff I laughed literally out loud at, so you can get what I'm referring to, with a marking my absolute top favorites.

I first became a fan with this comic:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html

(It featured non-traditional panel layout.)

Spoiler
    Show
    "thog like puppies."

Was quite a while until I was amused by thog again. But...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0367.html

Spoiler
    Show
    "thog hears you!".

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0387.html

Spoiler
    Show
    "how thog's pants turn purple?"

"yay! thog and not-nale on zany whirlwind adventure!"

"thog wonders how thog will cope with life outside jailhouse walls. prison changed thog."

"We were only in there for 40 minutes."

"prison changed thog quickly."

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html

Spoiler
    Show
    "*sigh* thog never get anything pretty."

"thog believe thog can fly."

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html

Spoiler
    Show
    "thog like costume. thog get in touch with inner greenness."
    "thog get in touch with outer greenness too."

"thog brought breadcrumbs!"
    (obviously, in case Nale got lost. Those breadcrumbs will help Nale get un-lost, somehow, in that sack that they are presently contained in.)

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0787.html

Spoiler
    Show
    Thog singing Queen.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0788.html

Spoiler
    Show
    "Thog will always treasure thog's adventure with talky-man. it featured non-traditional panel layout."

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0791.html

Spoiler
    Show
    The entire last six panels of this comic.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0808.html
    Spoiler
    Show

Thog's epic swan song. Not so much for anything funny he said, but it is essentially Roy's rebuttal to the previous reference. A memorable exit from the stage, for sure.

Roy: "I hate puppies! I think they're dumb!"

Tarquin: "It's weird, no matter how many people he kills, the audience still thinks he's lovable."

Thog was not always funny, he was fairly one-dimensional, especially at first. But he quickly becomes a parody of all dumb, bumbling evil sidekicks that are strong enough to threaten protagonists, but have the mind of a child.

Thog was the quintessential that character, we all know that character. It's been in a lot of different stories. That character is a trope. And, in my opinion, perhaps the best representation of that character in the format of panel-based storytelling.

With all humor, it either appeals or it doesn't.

thog amusing in thog's simplicity.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2014-12-31 at 07:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420

GreenSorcererElf

I know why people find him funny, I just don't get WHY he's not funny, or more specifically, why I'm not laughing. Like, I'm not laughing at any of the jokes there. Must be my sense of humor.