New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS death pool (thread #4)

I have to admit...

Spoiler
    Show
    I am sort of wondering if Durkula counts as being dead now.

I think he's gone.

I think Durkon's body may / may not be destroyed, but the distinct being that was 'Greg' might be Durkon now. Destroying him as a negative energy spirit and just replacing him with Durkon's spirit.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    I have to admit...

Spoiler
    Show
    I am sort of wondering if Durkula counts as being dead now.

I think he's gone.

I think Durkon's body may / may not be destroyed, but the distinct being that was 'Greg' might be Durkon now. Destroying him as a negative energy spirit and just replacing him with Durkon's spirit.
    I am not going to count that, particularly because they're still being shown as separate for now.

(Also I'm placing a bet of my own on "Greg".)
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

3. - Top - End - #543
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Forgot about the anti-life shell, I thought Belkar was literally right about to stab him. Oh well, I already changed my vote.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

The first post should probably list the significant deaths and the strips they happen in, as the rules of the thread defines them, but it would give useful history even for regular users. This would be useful especially for new users to see, so they can tell how rarely or how often significant characters die.

Let me try to collect the deaths while there's still only a few of them. Is there anyone I missed, perhaps because nobody bet on them? I've only been following theis thread recently, since later than Crystal's death.

• #848 Yukyuk (dies from Zz'dtri's acid damage spell)
    • #877 Durkon (Malack drains his blood to death; his last request is to spare the rest of the Order)
    • #906 Malack (Nale and Zz'dtri kill him with the desert sun)
    • #908 Zz'dtri (the newly created Greg snaps his neck)
    • #913 Nale (Tarquin kills him with a dagger)
    • #981 Crystal (was already reanimated as a Crystal golem with memories; Haley drops her into waste incinerator)
    • #1119 Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head (Belkar kills him in panel 5; they have exactly 10 appearances including this strip, so it was not allowed to bet on him)
    • #1119 Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard (killed by Hilgya's Flame Strike in eighth panel; nobody betted on him)
    • #1122 Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail (Roy kills her with a thrown sword in panel 9)
    • #1128 Minrah (killed by Hilgya's Flame Strike in second page fifth panel; nobody betted on her)
    • #1130 Ponchula (CotS Usher with Long Hair; nickname for human vampire who had a notable dialog in #1112 about a poncho; Belkar decapitates her)
    • #1131 Durkon
    • #1149 Durkon
    • #1166 Kandro (Durkon's uncle; nightcrawler worm eats him)
    • #1174 Exarch Gontor Hammerfell the vampire (overwhelmed by Durkon's family)
    • #1175 Sandy the unnamed vampire (Hel implies that he's dead)

Once initialized, the list won't be hard to update, since you have to figure out which deaths are significant to maintain the bets anyway.

Update 2018-08-24: fixed pronouns, thanks to DeliaP
    Update 2019-02-25: added #1122.
    Update 2019-08-18: Sniffnoy confirmed Sandy's death.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2021-02-07 at 11:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #545

HalflingRangerGuy

Ha HA! Ponchula does get a point now!

Think I'll go for the Exarch/Gonetor next. His failure is pre-ordained by narrative convention, and while his failure may not require death, I think if I pick any of the three people I really want to, I'm going to find out they all survive for now. :p
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

6. - Top - End - #546

And, points for everyone who bet on Durkon/HPoH/"Greg". Bets may now be changed (yet again).

First post is now updated.
    Last edited by Sniffnoy; 2018-07-31 at 05:18 PM.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

7. - Top - End - #547
    Colossus in the Playground

Yay!

Yeah, I'll bet on the Vampire Exarch, too.
    Last edited by Kish; 2018-07-31 at 02:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I’m going to change my vote to the Exarch (or whatever we want to call him) as well

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Damn, I was reasonably certain Greg was a safe bet, but I wasn't in a hurry to say so because I figured the comic would take longer.

I guess having learned my lesson about bandwagoning means I'm changing my vote to the vampire Exarch. (Or "Gontor Hammerhel" as I like to think of him).
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Woo! A point!

Changing my vote back to the nameless vampire from strip 1111 because she's also narratively doomed to fail and I think she'll die before the Exarch.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

11. - Top - End - #551
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Woo! A point!

Changing my vote back to the nameless vampire from strip 1111 because she's also narratively doomed to fail and I think she'll die before the Exarch.
    I'll do the same.

12. - Top - End - #552

I'm way behind in this thread, but I'm actually going to put my 5gp on The Exarch to be the next to die.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

I for one do not change my bet from Belkar.

Analysis. I still think he's a pretty safe bet, avoiding risky bets. But more importantly, this leaves me open to potentially change my bet later when I get more information from future comic strips. Like, whether we see the Order actually catch up with wherever the Exarch is now, or we get our cut away to Team Evil and the MITD and O-Chul and Lien. I think the most likely is that, possibly after a cut to Team Evil, we'll see the Order have a random encounter or other obstacle before even reaching the Exarch. In this last case, the Belkar bet is probably still pretty safe, because anyone they meet will probably not be votable, I don't think Roy or Elan or Haley or Vaarsuvius or Blackwing will die yet. There's some chance that Hilgya gets his well deserved end first, or that Mr. Scruffy or Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator has to die to enrage Belkar into vengeance again, but it will be very difficult to guess which of these happens.

Spoiler: Pointless teasing of other players, don't read if you're sensitive and may take offense
    Show
    You all have read the rules, especially rule 3, before changing to the Exarch, because you actually think he'll die in the very next strip, before you get a chance to change your vote, right? You're entitled to bet however you choose, but I won't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    I'm way behind in this thread, but I'm actually going to put my 5gp on The Exarch to be the next to die.
    You're not behind, you only have to change your vote before the Exarch dies.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-08-07 at 07:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    I for one do not change my bet from Belkar.

Analysis. I still think he's a pretty safe bet, avoiding risky bets. But more importantly, this leaves me open to potentially change my bet later when I get more information from future comic strips. Like, whether we see the Order actually catch up with wherever the Exarch is now, or we get our cut away to Team Evil and the MITD and O-Chul and Lien. I think the most likely is that, possibly after a cut to Team Evil, we'll see the Order have a random encounter or other obstacle before even reaching the Exarch. In this last case, the Belkar bet is probably still pretty safe, because anyone they meet will probably not be votable, I don't think Roy or Elan or Haley or Vaarsuvius or Blackwing will die yet. There's some chance that Hilgya gets his well deserved end first, or that Mr. Scruffy or Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator has to die to enrage Belkar into vengeance again, but it will be very difficult to guess which of these happens.

Spoiler: Pointless teasing of other players, don't read if you're sensitive and may take offense
    Show
    You all have read the rules, especially rule 3, before changing to the Exarch, because you actually think he'll die in the very next strip, before you get a chance to change your vote, right? You're entitled to bet however you choose, but I won't do that.
    I made my bet because he's narratively doomed to fail. Now that failure may not involve dying, or we may switch away to Team Evil, Sabine, the IFCC, or Hinjo and someone else entirely may die next, but as we're in the denouement of the book, I don't think we'll see any more combat not related to Durkon's arc this book. Ergo, the Exarch seemed like the safest bet (my other three options I couldn't decide between were the curly-haired vampire that fled when Ponchula died, Durkula, and Belkar - who I don't think will die until the last 30 strips or so of the comic, but still looked to be in danger a moment being the only conscious one against three vampires.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

15. - Top - End - #555

OldWizardGuy

Did I get a point? I did! I got a point!!! Woohoo! Sure, I got it just because I'd been letting my vote ride since the Godsmoot, and each time I was thinking of changing it (Ice Giantess, Ponchula) they went and got killed before I managed... but it still counts! Yeah! (And I'd even forgotten that it was Durkula I was voting for.... I thought I was still on Lien....)

OK, new vote. Let's see.... let's see.... last time we were this close to the end of the book I decided there would be no more deaths likely, only for Malack, Zzdriti and Nale to die in quick succession, so no form there. I would say the ex-Exarch, but if he doesn't escape (and with Ponchula already down) who is going to keep Hel's faction going in the multi-car pile up at the final gate?? Someone has to be advancing a "Blow up the gate, force the Gods to remake the world" agenda.... Ah, what the Hel, he's a safe bet to be destroyed sooner or later (only Belkar and Xykon are safer bets, I'd say, but I doubt either will happen til much closer to the end of Book 7) so it's good enough for now!

I vote: the ex-Exarch, Gontorkula Somethingorother Hammerfell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    • #1128 Minrah (killed by Hilgya's Flame Strike in second page fifth panel; nobody betted on him)
    • #1130 Ponchula (nickname for human vampire who had a notable dialog in #1112 about a poncho; Belkar decapitates him)
    Um, btw, they should both be "her" not "him".

(But thanks for keeping this list updated! It might be a nice addition to the posts at the start of the thread.)
    Last edited by DeliaP; 2018-08-20 at 08:59 AM.
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler: Can I have an internet?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm putting my (figurative) money on nameless vampire for the next to croak.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

17. - Top - End - #557
    Dwarf in the Playground

I also put my money on nameless vampire girl who was one of the original 4 to teleport to Firmament. I feel Gontor is going to outlive her, but surprise me.

I'd like to be right even once!

18. - Top - End - #558
    Pixie in the Playground

I’m putting my money on Mr. Scruffy.

Quote Originally Posted by tazbot View Post
    I roll to stop Samba Mentality from chattering.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Dwarf in the Playground

I put my gp on Hilgya

20. - Top - End - #560
    Pixie in the Playground

I vote the Vampire Exarch!

21. - Top - End - #561
    Orc in the Playground

Banjo needs souls to be a god, so I'm taking a LOOOOONG shot in the dark here.

Elan

22. - Top - End - #562

Welp, it turns out that the correct answer was Durkon, again! Nobody gets points! Bets may now be changed once again.

23. - Top - End - #563

HalflingRangerGuy

Sticking with the Exarch.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #564
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    I also put my money on nameless vampire girl who was one of the original 4 to teleport to Firmament. I feel Gontor is going to outlive her, but surprise me.

I'd like to be right even once!
    I agree with this.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

25. - Top - End - #565

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    I agree with this.
    Sorry, is that you placing a new bet? It's not clear.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not going to count this as a new bet unless you confirm fairly quickly that you intended it that way.
    Last edited by Sniffnoy; 2018-12-18 at 08:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking a lot because either Hilgya or Belkar could die in the next strip. I still don't know for sure, but I made up my mind now.

I change my bet to Hilgya.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to stick with Nameless Vampire
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

28. - Top - End - #568

(Bumping for visibility.)

29. - Top - End - #569

Bumping for visibility again.

30. - Top - End - #570

A million Quatloo's that every character in the comic dies next comic. (1162)
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.