New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS death pool (thread #4)

Yay, I got a point on a long shot! Though that doesn't stop me from being sad that my favorite character died...

I'm gonna go with Haley next. No, I don't think the elemental's gonna kill her, that would be predictable (though I still want points if he does ). I just think she's gonna die next...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock Zipporah View Post
    Hmm, now that you mention it, they HAVEN'T been seen in the same place at the same time! Tarquin will no doubt be captured, at which point Elan will pull off his rubber mask and reveal that it was Old Man Hinjo who was behind the haunted amusement park!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Belucard avatar by me.

Older sig quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    Let's not let a little thing like facts get in the way of interpretations.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

OK, I've updated the first post, except Arkhosia, I can't tell whether you're making a bet or not. Could you clarify?
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mollez View Post
    So...who bet on Malack?
    28 people, by my count - almost twice as many as bet on Yukyuk. A highly predictable death.

4. - Top - End - #184

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffnoy View Post
    OK, I've updated the first post, except Arkhosia, I can't tell whether you're making a bet or not. Could you clarify?
    I'm betting that Durkula will be laid to rest.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Question Re: OOTS death pool (thread #4)

Since a character has died, can we renew our vote? Or make a new one?
    "I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!"

"I participated!"

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckTex95 View Post
    My understanding of it is that your previous vote will stay as is, but you can freely change it if you desire.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckTex95 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffnoy View Post
    3. You can not change your bet unless a character has been killed off. For example, if you'd nominated Belkar and a dragon were to swoop in and attack Nale, you wouldn't be allowed to suddenly change your vote to Nale.

3a. If you don't explicitly change your bet, you're assumed to have re-bet on the same person until you state otherwise. Explicitly stating that you're re-betting on the same person has no effect (i.e. you can still change your bet after doing this).

3b. A death only counts for these purposes if either someone has bet on the character or the character has at least 10 appearances.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2013-07-29 at 08:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    My understanding of it is that your previous vote will stay as is, but you can freely change it if you desire.
    Alright, thanks!

Although, I'm not going to change it yet.
    "I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!"

"I participated!"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'm gonna jump in here and say that, when Sabine comes back, she's gonna be livid with the recent turn of events. This will lead directly to Qarr's demise.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm going to renew my bet for Kilkil. Seriously, someone needs to Kil(l) KilKil already

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'd like a bet on Zz'dtri, please.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

12. - Top - End - #192

I had bet on Nale last time since I figured there were only two ways this storyline could be resolved: The gate blows up, or Nale dies. Evidently, I picked the wrong one. (And it hasn't even really resolved the storyline.)

I think I'm just going to hold for now. I doubt Nale will die next but I can't think of who else to bet on.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...And Durkon is the protagonist, so, um, yeah. Narrative weight definitely not on Nale's side in the clash you propose.
    Durkon hasn't been a protagonist since he died.

He could return to being a regular protagonist now that Malack has been destroyed, but that would rather cheapen his death, in a way that was carefully avoided with Roy's death. It might still happen, but I don't think it's a sure thing.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

Kilkil or Nale, Kilkil or Nale, Kilkil or Nale ... Kilkil
    I prepared Comic Sans today.

15. - Top - End - #195

GreenSorcererElf

If this doesn't earn a stay of execution for Nale, then nothing will. No, I'm changing my vote to Lien, because I don't really expect any more deaths this arc, and support characters are really getting wasted now.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'd like to wager on Blackwing being next. We don't know if the IFCC directors included his body with their assurance about V's body remaining safe from all harm. If they didn't, Blackwing may have been caught in the heart of the Pyramid's destruction.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Dew View Post
    28 people, by my count - almost twice as many as bet on Yukyuk. A highly predictable death.
    For people paying close attention, I suppose it was (comparatively) predictable for two reasons:

1. Giant had said that vamping Durkon was Malack's entire purpose for existence in the comic; that purpose had been completed.

2. Malack's death was necessary to free Durkon. (He could have freed him willingly, but it would likely have taken much longer.)

18. - Top - End - #198

I think I'm ready to bet on Durkula. There's a chance that Durkon's death will be made meaningful by the destruction of his body. If not, the bet will tie me up for longer than I'd like, but Durkula is still likely to be killed to allow Durkon's resurrection or to allow him to be laid to rest.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tarquin
    killed by Nale
    All that we see or seem
    is just a dream within a dream

20. - Top - End - #200
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Hmm... I am gonna go with a long shot here that I am not completely sure is legal:
    The High Priest of Odin and I feel that very soon.

If you feel that is illegal then count me as betting for Tarquin

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by androkguz View Post
    Hmm... I am gonna go with a long shot here that I am not completely sure is legal:
    The High Priest of Odin and I feel that very soon.

If you feel that is illegal then count me as betting for Tarquin
    Yes, I think I'm going to have to disallow betting on the High Priest of Odin. He has zero in-comic appearances, only one appearance in the prequel book he appears in, and doesn't even currently have a name. He does have some story significance, to be certain, but given the rest I don't think I can allow it. (And I'm not sure he has any story significance to those who haven't read OtOoPCs.) Your bet on Tarquin has been recorded, though.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

A long time lurker, I just registered to place a bet here.
    I'd like to bet on the Empress of Blood,

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    For people paying close attention, I suppose it was (comparatively) predictable for two reasons:

1. Giant had said that vamping Durkon was Malack's entire purpose for existence in the comic; that purpose had been completed.

2. Malack's death was necessary to free Durkon. (He could have freed him willingly, but it would likely have taken much longer.)
    He also had said that being a vampire was Durkon's entire purpose for existence in the comic.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm surprised at the number of votes for Nale and Durkon right now. Like someone else mentioned, Nale's probably earned a stay of execution with that most recent comic (it would be kind of a waste otherwise), and I'm fairly convinced he'll survive to the next book if only to be one of the multiple sides that the cockroaches talked about. I'm almost thinking that means Z needs to survive a little while as well, just to give Nale a bit more firepower without having to reestablish a whole new character so close to the end. As for Durkon, I think his destruction at this point would make his vampirization entirely pointless (plus there's the prophecy about him bringing death and destruction to his homelands--that could be accomplished in a different way, but vampirism is the most likely at this point IMO).

I honestly think it's more likely than not that we're done with major deaths for this book--there's so much fallout to be had from the one's we've seen already that adding more would just be ridiculous. I can't think of who I would bet on as a backup anyway--among the Order, Elan and probably V are protected for plot-based reasons, Roy's already died and seems unlikely to do so again, Haley and Belkar are possibilities but probably too close to Durkon's death. Tarquin is a remote possibility, but I think he'll probably have a role to play in the next book. Sabine and Qarr are our links to the IFCC. Blackwing is a possibility, I suppose, but I feel like he's got more to do with V. Mr. Scruffy will probably outlive Belkar so we can all feel sad when the cute kitty mourns. Any of the Azurites (except probably O-Chul) would be possibilities, but probably not after we've spent so much time away from them. I'm just not convinced enough that any of these other characters' time is up yet to switch my bet, so I guess I'll leave it as-is (on Kilkil), since I believe I'll still be able to change it later. If no one dies between now and the next book, I'll probably change it then.

25. - Top - End - #205

GreenSorcererElf

I think Blackwing's especially unlikely to die right now because when you think about it, a big part of Vaarsuvuius' character arc entails keeping her isolated in her own little personal subplot - the fewer interactions she has with other Order members, the better, it seems. As such, you've got Blackwing as the voice of conscience and reason, and you've also got the Fiends as temptation - V hasn't interacted with with other characters in a meaningful way in maybe 200 strips. Insofar as there's no reason to expect any of these dynamics change, there's no particular reason to remove the one good influence V has at the moment.

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by white lancer View Post
    I honestly think it's more likely than not that we're done with major deaths for this book
    I actually suspect this is correct. The fight still needs to be finished, but given it's with recurring villains, deaths don't seem that likely.

Tarquin is really the most expendable character right now from a plot standpoint. It would be quite a change in characterization for his death to be part of Nale's happy ending, though.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not changing my vote for Sabine. She's been getting more characterization lately, I'm really starting to think that it's gonna be a Therkla situation; make us like them then pull the rug out.

28. - Top - End - #208

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mollez View Post
    I'm not changing my vote for Sabine. She's been getting more characterization lately, I'm really starting to think that it's gonna be a Therkla situation; make us like them then pull the rug out.
    Are you sure that's not more properly called a Whedon or Martin situation? :p
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I say Durkula. What has happened to Tarquin and Kilkil though?

NetHackers Unite!

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post

Unless I missed it earlier, the author only made clear that Malack's (initial) purpose in the comic was to vamp Durkon after he (Malack) had been dusted. So that comment was of no use in making a prediction.

But yes; once Durkon was made into vampire, Malack seemed a good bet to many people, and not only for your reason 2).
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!