New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Turbo: apparently a dreamworks movie about snails

I keep seeing various tie-in advertisements for this particular film but I have not seen a single trailer or teaser on televison for this movie which apparently comes out on the 17th...
    Last edited by Fjolnir; 2013-06-15 at 11:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Turbo: apparently a dreamworks movie about snails

... of next month, which might explain you haven't seen a trailer yet. Or not, I don't really watch enough TV to know how early they advertise films like this.

Though if you do want to watch the trailers there's always the internet. Or you could just watch this repeatedly.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

A month in advance is extremely short for advertising, so that is very strange. I hadn't heard of this movie at all until a week or so ago when I saw it mentioned somewhere, and still know nothing about it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

It's about a snail that somehow becomes ultra-fast and fulfills his dream of racing in the Indianapolis 500.

Seriously . . .

It was briefly mentioned during coverage of the Indianapolis 500 (which was not won by a snail).

5. - Top - End - #5

I think I understand now why it's not being heavily marketed.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I think I understand now why it's not being heavily marketed.
    Honestly I don't. What makes it more ridiculous/stupid than other dreamworks films? Why is the concept bad?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

I've seen the previews and I hardly ever watch TV. Maybe it's marketed more heavily in my area. It looks like a cute/fun kid's movie.

8. - Top - End - #8

WhiteWizardGirl

It takes place within walking distance of my house! =D

So yeah, I'm just excited that it features the Indianapolis Motor Speedway because I've lived so close to it all my life (and still do).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've seen posters for it in theaters, and there was a preview before the movie Epic. However, "Cars by Dreamworks with talking snails" is not really sparking my interests. I'll be happily proven wrong, but I'm not at all interested in the premise.

Also, is anyone else reminded of the character Turbo from Wreck-it Ralph every time this movie gets mentioned?
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

You know what? I avoided Cars like the plague. If I was sat down and given a choice between Cars and this? Judging from the trailer?

I think I'd choose Turbo, and I don't think it'd be a difficult choice actually.
    Snail is bitten by a radioactive V8 and develops superpowers? I can very nearly get behind that.

I mean, I won't actually watch it. But if I had to, I don't think I'd moan too much. It looks okay.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    You know what? I avoided Cars like the plague. If I was sat down and given a choice between Cars and this? Judging from the trailer?

I think I'd choose Turbo, and I don't think it'd be a difficult choice actually.
    Snail is bitten by a radioactive V8 and develops superpowers? I can very nearly get behind that.
    Pretty much.

And anyway, think about it: a superpowered SNAIL. What will come next?
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2013-06-16 at 04:00 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think this is just a consequence of Dreamworks's(and to a lesser extent also Pixar's) badly planned expansion to two movies a year. They probably had enough money for two movies and decided to make two, but didn't also budget marketing accordingly.

Hence why this and The Croods went over with hardly any buzz. It's one movie when the movie population has doubled that may not even have a normal movie's marketing budget. They can't really bring to bear the same kind of money Disney can and they aren't planning as smart as say, Laika or Sony is.

Unfortunately whereas The Croods looked a bit more promising and managed to ride off a bit of residual buzz from Brave(given all of the reviewers talked about how THIS was a much better female character), Turbo has to stand on it's own, much shakier feet.

I'm just hoping this doesn't lead to poor marketing and scheduling and mediocre movies. Because ultimately that's what killed theatrical 2d animation. Only when 2d animation died 3d was already becoming popular, but this time around I'm not really seeing anything to replace 3d. I mean nothing Stop Motion has really taken off, and other animation forms haven't really been given that much attention. My biggest fear is if this flops it might be the signal that a bunch of other stuff begins to flop, and with no real safety net that eventually leads to a bunch of downsizing in industries that have already been hit hard in recent years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

13. - Top - End - #13

Maybe the Movie industry is targeting only movie goers, Cause I saw the trailers for this months ago in theatres.

Which makes me wonder if there's a market shift going on here, where the movie industry forgos TV advertizing and is instead going purely with internet and in-theatre advertizing.

Or they are only expecting to profit from DVD/Streaming sales and is redirecting advertzment dollars to DVD/Streaming when those becomes available instead of box office theatre itself.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

that's the point though, I see a LOT of tie in advertising; there are fruit snacks, cereals, and other things like that along with ads at like my local travel agent for advance ticket purchase but nothing about the movie itself that I saw...
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

I've been seeing trailers for it all over the place, on TV and in movies (I seem to remember one in front of Man of Steel, but I could be mistaken), but oddly, I haven't seen any of the tie-in merchandising yet. I'm still not going to see the movie, but a TV trailer is what first made me aware of it.

The plot of Cars, with the setup of Spiderman, with the main cast played by snails. Aside from the fact that I really didn't like Cars, this premise just sounds too silly, even for me. At least it's somewhat original, I'll give that to them. I can't say I've ever seen a movie about snails genetically modified by nitrous oxide to give them the abilities of a race car before.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I saw the cardboard advertisement for this and Planes coming out of Star Trek last week. All I could think was "they aren't even trying anymore."

Slap that same cartoon face on anything, hire a few Hollywood actors for voice-overs, dust off some generic script that's been sitting in some exec's drawer for that last 20 years, and you'll make a return on investment sufficiently above acceptable as to warrant the whole soulless enterprise.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I saw the cardboard advertisement for this and Planes coming out of Star Trek last week. All I could think was "they aren't even trying anymore."

Slap that same cartoon face on anything, hire a few Hollywood actors for voice-overs, dust off some generic script that's been sitting in some exec's drawer for that last 20 years, and you'll make a return on investment sufficiently above acceptable as to warrant the whole soulless enterprise.
    Oh yeah, he's making the Dreamworks Face in the promo images, isn't he?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

It's about a snail that somehow becomes ultra-fast and fulfills his dream of racing in the Indianapolis 500.

Seriously . . .
    Part of the Dreamworks "Sometimes Insects just wish they had better lives" canon then? Alongside such classics as "I don't like being a worker Ant" and "I don't like being a worker Bee" we will now have "I am a snail who wants to be fast".