New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Return of the Scarlet Empress II - Nothing on My Back...

"I should hope so." Zhou says with an amused chuckle, one arm held comfortably around her as she slumbers against his bare chest. "Still, as much as I enjoy just holding you like this, we should probably make a move on soon. Before someone comes knocking."

Despite his words, he makes no actual effort to get up. He's not sure he has the willpower.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Once, when Isa was seven, a storm of legendary strength had blown out of the northern mountains to scour the Silver River. Her people had left their boats lashed together on the shore and fled to take shelter in an ancient oak grove. For two days they huddled there, listening to the wind howl and the trees moan. When at last the storm was spent, they emerged to find branches and tree trunks strewn across the forest like a child's discarded toys, birds and fish alike lying broken on the ground, the rivers and streams blown all askew by the storm's fury.

The scene before her reminds Isa of nothing so much as the day after that storm - save that it lacks the damp smell of a forest after rain, and the sense of relief at knowing the ordeal is over. What did this? What could do this to the Loom? Maidens and Luna help her, the cleanup is going to take weeks. The paperwork alone... There are other things preying on her mind this morning, too, lurking like treasonous serpents at the edge of her thoughts. Opportunity.

Many things could go unnoticed in the chaos. But for now, Isa goes to the closest pattern spider and tries to help it right itself, careful to keep her distance from the soulsteel fangs - the spiders are temperamental creatures at the best of times - and asks, "What happened?"
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2013-07-23 at 12:42 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Baths of Venus

"Mmm... point. Although I'm not sure I want to leave..." Languorous seems like the right word for how she feels, although it's not one she ever associated with herself before.

She wonders if Zhou realizes what a sign of trust it is, for her to fall fully asleep in his arms. And there wasn't even a moment's hesitation, not an edge of buried worry, as she drifted off into slumber.

I love you and I trust you aren't always the same thing. To have both, wholeheartedly... no, Zhou, I don't know what I did to deserve you.

Orchid's stomach rumbles, on cue. "... but dinner would be nice, don't you think?" She grins up at the Fire Aspect. "That was, er, a little more energetic than I'd anticipated. Not that I'm complaining, in the slightest." She nestles closer against his chest and pulls his head down for another kiss.

"... I'm clearly going to have to work on my self-control around you," she gasps a minute later, laughing breathlessly, "or the meeting tomorrow is going to be embarrassing, albeit entertaining for everyone else in attendance."

Although we do have a whole night in between.

Just looking at Zhou is enough to make the memories kindle. Not the Admiral's memories but hers, visceral and real in a way the dreams were not; she can still feel the echoes in her own flesh, like exultant fire flowing beneath her skin.

She tears her gaze away from the Fire Aspect with some difficulty. "Here is my proposal, then." Her tone is mock-businesslike, as she sits up, trying not to focus on the feel of his skin against hers. "One, we take advantage of that lovely bath one more time. We can try those last two spigots, the ones neither of us could translate. Two, we get dressed and take a cloud back to that restaurant Child mentioned, Rascha's, where we can treat each other to a romantic dinner. Three... well, I wanted to do some shopping, but the details are a secret." She smiles, eyes dancing. "And after all that's done, well, Child's manse did have that rather luxurious guest-room we picked out."

"Or we can go try to find Tien Yu, if you would like. Or do whatever else you would like. Honestly this plan will probably derail somewhere around Step One-And-A-Half, in any case, once we walk out the door. But how does that sound to you?"
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-07-23 at 12:51 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

4. - Top - End - #754

"Price of falling in love with a Fire Aspect, I'm afraid." Zhou replies, a mirthful smile on his features. "We're rather infamous for our passions. Still, I think your plan has merit, and while you're probably right about it all going wrong, it's worth trying anyway."

With that, he slowly begins the unwelcome process of pulling himself back upright, and then across to the gently steaming bath. In the back of his mind, he silently thanks his time in the academy for helping him learn how to do something he didn't want to do.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"I'm not sure the term 'price' is appropriate here, since I feel like I'm benefiting as well," Orchid grins. "I mean, we can stay here longer, if you want. We didn't try all the oils yet. It's not like they gave us a time limit, and these are the Baths of Venus, it's practically religious."

She smiles up at Zhou, warmth and a hint of laughter in her eyes. "I'm probably not helping, am I? We should leave at some point, but I'm happy to stay for now, if that's what you want. Whichever you'd like."

Still, staying on the side of the pool on her own is not enticing, and the bath might help with certain muscles unaccustomed to their recent exercise; the Eclipse climbs rather unsteadily to her feet and makes her way over to the pool as well. She leans over to turn the second-last spigot as she slides into the warm water.

Tiny crystals shower from it, and as they strike the water they release a faint chiming cascade of liquid melody, and the clean scent of grass after rain. The music quietens when she closes the spigot, but an ever-changing carillon of soft bell-tones still whispers in the air, preternaturally soothing.

"... all right, that's just showing off," Orchid mutters to the air as she sinks into the scented water, half-amused and half-delighted and a little bit appalled. But she could get used to hot baths. Especially ones with Zhou.

Spoiler
    Show
    If their Temperance fails them, I think we can safely skim forward a bit to "... some time later, when they actually get around to leaving..."

Unless industrious has a surprise involving the Unidentified Spigot, of course.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-07-23 at 02:06 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #756

Spoiler
    Show
    I am gambling on the assumption that there's no sinister revelation about the Final Spigot which we need to worry about...

...yeah, so much for that.

Surrounded by the scented water, he turns and pushes himself over to join her by the side, laughing. "Well, if it counts as a religious observance..."

-------

Some time later, once they've been able to focus long enough to actually dry off and get dressed again, Zhou grins at Orchid. "You really are terrible, you know that?" he says, voice light and teasing as he adjusts the final few straps on his armour. "Corrupting this honest soldier-boy with your wicked foreign ways."

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Pfft. I'm just the innocent maiden seduced by the devastatingly handsome Fire Aspect. Seems much more plausible." Orchid grins at Zhou as she clips back her hair. Her smile turns a little rueful. "Although I suppose once your family gets past the 'a Deceiver seduced our son with Anathema magic' reaction, they might run straight into 'a decadent Dynast corrupted our son'. It seems vaguely unfair to get both."

She turns to the door, sliding her sheathed daiklave back into her dress, before taking out the knives wedging the door and putting them away. She offers her arm to Zhou as she reaches for the latch with her other hand. "Shall we?"
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-07-23 at 01:04 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #758

"If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure I'll be under some kind of suspicion for taking ruthless advantage of the fragile, inexperienced native girl I came across in my travels." Zhou says lightly. "But yes, we might as well go and see exactly how badly the world has degenerated in our brief absence."

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Orchid stands on tiptoe briefly to kiss Zhou on the cheek, and then pushes the door open. The air outside is cool and dry by comparison; she'd become rather accustomed to the steam in... however long they were in there. Long enough for her caste mark to fade fully, at least.

All right, Starfall and May Blossom were right when they recommended this place. Even if I still suspect ulterior motives.

She turns toward the front desk, already thinking up her next prayer for a cloud. She'll thank the goddess on the way out, though; she wonders if a tip (offering?) would be appropriate.

Spoiler
    Show
    industrious, anyone / anything waiting for us outside, or should we figure they catch a cloud and head off to a restaurant?
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #760
    Bugbear in the Playground

Skandi nods. "Don't get yourself killed."

He strolls over to the bar. Surely there must be some sort of intoxicant that resembles something he can identify.
    R.I.P. Skandi the Wolf of Return of the Scarlet Empress

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

Friendplug: Arpista Editing!

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm....very sparse information. Do you want my report to focus on the feasibility of the plan itself, or on the potential results of the plan if implemented? Either way I'll have to do quite a bit of research into the plan itself."
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

Ayesha

"I trust your judgment, Child. Your record speaks for itself. I just need your analysis before the meeting."

Isa

The spider perches on its legs, mandibles chittering anxiously.

"The end!" it clicks out, eyes darting frantically. "The end is near!"

The god scuttles away as quickly as it can, disappearing into the chaos of the Loom.

Skandi

In the darkness, between the flashes of moonlight, Skandi stumbles upon a spilled drink, and jostles a god clad in intricately embroidered robes, surrounded by empty cups.

"Hey," the god slurrs. "Dnt...eww....who..."

He raises his hand for another drink before his head touches the bar.

While Skandi tries to signal the bartender, he notices Starfall, arm around another, noses so close as to be practically touching. The pair are heading towards a small, discrete door in the back.

Baths of Venus

"I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, Lawgiver," the goddess says, bowing at their approach. "I did not know you had already booked another to join you."

There is a bowl filled with vials of glowing blue liquid and one or two faux-gold coins.

"I believe she left you a message."

The slip of paper contains a poem, written in crude, simple calligraphy reminiscent of a child. More than that-it's been intentionally done this way, so that any distinguishing characteristics would be buried.

Lawgiver
    riding the clouds
    cannot see the street below.

Spoiler
    Show

You can attempt an Int+Linguistics roll to recognize the handwriting for later, with a penalty.

(non-binding) Intention to make you want to see Yu-Shan on foot: (11d10)[4][9][9][5][2][8][8][10][9][10][2](76)

Also, both of you come under a social attack at the end of your scene with ???. (23d10)[4][5][5][2][6][3][8][4][2][5][8][6][8][10][8][2][1][10][4][7][4][3][6](121)

Effect:
    Spoiler
    Show

A Compulsion to reengage the Mysterious Woman...which will take effect tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

13. - Top - End - #763

Skandi gives the drunken god a dazzling smile and profound apology before catching... the back of Starfall's head. Huh.

"Well, it isn't as if I assumed he'd be faithful," Skandi thinks as he quietly laughs at himself.

The resulting thoughts are not so much thought aloud as they are assumed. Except, of course, that this is his decoy for leaving the party, since he isn't half the drunken fool he looks like he is. This being a hotbed of politics, he is clearly pretending to jilt me so he can escape to do his mission. I should try to look jilted, as this is an excellent opportunity for his enemies to try to figuratively seduce me to their cause. "

His laughter takes on a morose tone, and he continues attempts to get the bartender's attention. He would, in fact, like wine. Quite a lot of it.

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

14. - Top - End - #764

"We didn't." Zhou says with an air of mild displeasure - it is muted, though, all but buried beneath the lingering sense of satisfaction. "Still, other than that, the visit was very enjoyable. Thank you."

He looks over the note as they head for the exit, frowning slightly. "Odd choice for a note. What is it, a final taunt or something?"

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"As Zhou says, we didn't invite her - did she say we had? Odd. I don't suppose you know her?" Orchid drops a pair of coins into the bowl, and bows to the goddess in return, with a warm smile. "But the visit was lovely, regardless. I'll always remember it." Always. For as long as I live, and maybe longer. Will some future bearer of my Exaltation recall my joy, as I did the Admiral's? "I hope we can return some time."

She studies the note thoughtfully, as she turns away. The simple - simplified - strokes of the calligraphy are obviously intentional, to her eye. She lifts it to eye level to study it more closely, sniffing at the ink; the various blends can have subtle differences in the fragrance and texture and color as pronounced as that of wine, depending like wine on their place of origin and subsequent processing. The hair-fine lines to the sides of the main brushstrokes can reveal the quirks of the particular brushes used. And even when handwriting is deliberately disguised, there are telltale clues to the hand and mind that drew those deceptively artless lines; the curve of fingers reflected in the slightly deeper impressions in the paper on one side of the brushstrokes, the shadow of concentration in the occasional too-deliberate error.

But Zhou isn't asking about any of that, and she blinks as she breaks her golden Essence-fueled focus and the world becomes, again, more than simply a slip of paper. "Oh. I think she's suggesting we walk, if we really want to understand Yu-Shan." She glances up at the Fire Aspect, eyes warm. "Taunting, yes, but... she has a point, in that it likely would provide a different perspective. And it doesn't seem very likely to be a trap, as we can still call a cloud if we need one. But this evening is not for politics, Zhou, it is for you. So... which would you like to do? If you want to see the city at street level I would be glad to walk with you. But I'm fond of the clouds as well, and they would likely get us to the restaurant faster."

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I safely assume we had time with sleeping and bathing and enjoying ourselves for me to regain my motes? (an hour, hour and a half depending on the ratio of relaxation to energetic exercise)

If so, 8m to the First Linguistics Excellency from Personal, why not. Hoping for a stunt to get some of that back.

(16d10)[9][2][7][9][4][5][2][10][5][4][9][3][6][3][6][6](90) Int+Linguistics (remove dice from the right if needed if there's an internal penalty)
    Possible stunt: (3d10)[2][3][5](10)
    EDIT: 6 sux, pretty much independent of any internal penalty That was not the best Excellency roll ever.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-07-27 at 02:14 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #766

"Frankly, I'm not all that concerned with understanding Yu-Shan right now." Zhou says simply, as they walk hand in hand out of the Baths and into the Gardens beyond. His voice is soft, pitched so as not to carry to the ears of any passers by, but fairly firm despite that. "It has not left a particularly great impression so far, with a few exceptions, and while I am sure there are ten dozen or more complicated subtleties lying just beyond sight... I really don't care very much. This place isn't home, it will almost certainly never be home, and despite the sense of over-inflated self-importance it's inhabitants seem to inherit, I still rate it far below home in my list of priorities."

He sighs softly. "We're visitors, brought here at the Sidereal's insistence, and after the necessary stuff is taken care of, I fully intend to head back to Creation and Lookshy as fast as humanly possible. Yu-Shan, it's problems and whatever game our uninvited guest are trying to play mean very little right now, aside from how they factor into the coming fight. And since I'm hoping that everyone who is likely to be involved in that will attend the meeting based specifically around it, I see no value in getting lost in a celestial backstreet for a few hours."

A faint chuckle. "Sorry. I'm getting a bit worked up again. Long and short, you're right - today is for us, tomorrow is for the formalities, and just about everything after that is for dealing with the Mask. If our guest wanted us to follow her suggestions, she should have picked a better way to make them. Let's just grab a cloud, and go have dinner."

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Orchid nods, as they walk. "Fair enough." Her voice goes soft. "But though it is not home and probably never will be home - the Sidereals care about what the gods here think. And they -" have authority over my sister, and influence over my family; could destroy Firada's life, or keep her safe; could make my path so much harder, or so much easier... She shakes her head. "I can't ignore what they consider relevant. And don't want to."

"Not to mention that the most arrogant and oblivious god here is still a part of Creation, and with power of their own. Build new bonds, you said... if they'll heed me, where they don't listen to other Exalts, I need to understand what I might be able to accomplish with that. And what the pitfalls are, along those paths."

At the edge of the gardens the Eclipse looks upward to the sunlit sky - the same sky as when they entered, although they must have been in there for at least an hour - and whistles an airy snatch of melody. "You're right though that we needn't reward her behavior, at least immediately. I couldn't read her purpose - she hid it from me magically - which suggests that it's something I would not like. I'm not sure she's our enemy, but certainly trust is premature." She smiles at Zhou. "And I don't mind looking away from the world and the street for a night."

Riding in the sky
    High above jeweled shouting streets
    Clouds contain a world.

When the cloud arrives she waits for Zhou to sit down before tucking herself comfortably into the curve of his arms, and directs the cloud softly to the restaurant called Rascha's.

Still, her gaze does drift downward to the streets as they fly, perhaps a little more often than it had previously.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-07-27 at 03:57 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

Interlude: Sometimes Gods Go Bad

Spoiler
    Show

It wasn't like the god was ugly or anything. Okay, he was kind of cute, in the awkward, sort of shy way that most of the clerks in the Forbidding Manse were. And his robes weren't too garish, which was nice, but could mean he wasn't very wise about his salary, but they were also extremely well cut, so...yeah. He knew enough. He was the sort of god who wanted to go to parties but didn't know how, lurking around the edges in the chance of getting noticed and having a conversation.

...No, he wasn't crushing. That particular feeling was left to the tall, wild warrior he had to ditch during the party, because working for the Bureau meant that you were never not working. Not really. Seriously, though. Couldn't he just have one date, a nice, perfect night without having to deal with this sort of thing? Oversight could not be that petty. Except they were because they obviously knew he was here which is why he got that message, so...?

The god responds eagerly to his advances. Not that there was much question of it; he was, lets be honest, really good at talking to people, and getting to know them, and being interested. He liked people; liked the way bodies were put together and moved and sweated and danced...

"...What do you say we go somewhere more private?" he asks, knowing the god will say yes. They stroll out the back entrance, his arm around the god's hip.

In the alley, Starfall thrusts him against the wall; he breathes heavily. His fingers work their way up to the god's throat, sink lower, lower...

The first blow to the groin comes from the left hand; his fan remains folded, and the god's eyes go wide in pain.

He follows the first blow with another, and the god goes limp. Starfall keeps his fall light, supporting him on the way to the ground.

"Grey Servant of Loving Victorious Spire," he says quietly. "You have been accused of collusion with forbidden gods. Under the Protocols of Oversight, you have been tried in absentia and found guilty. The punishment for such methods is death, to be carried out immediately."

A fan is unfolded; a cut is made. In a few minutes, a squad of divine reclamators will be there to process the body. Starfall stares at the corpse for a second, and heads back inside.

"Sorry," he says to Skandi, squeezing himself towards the Lunar. "Now, lets see who's the better dancer. I think I know already..."
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

Conference Room, the Golden Baroque

The room everyone is directed towards is on the port side of the glorious airship; from above, they can gaze upon Yu-Shan in all its splendor from an angle rarely seen (by some). It is dominated by a long table, with comfortable chairs and individual ink wells and brushes and paper for all to take notes. A door behind the head seat bears a golden plaque with the name of Ayesha Ura on it.

Skandi, Orchid, Zhou, and Child are not alone in the room of course. Black Ice Shadow is there, leaning against a corner, head buried in that thin black book of poetry, as is May Blossom, who seems to be primping herself in a small glass. One smells Stormwrack, in the form of a lit cigar, before one sees him; the man is sitting at one of the chairs, doodling vulgarities upon a page. Everyone seems to be politely ignoring him, in the hopes that if they do so, he will simply vanish.

Three others that the non-Sidereals have not yet encountered are also present. The first is an angry-looking young man, dressed in loose pants, a red sash, and black shoes; Child recognizes Lupo, the head of the Sub-Committee on Lookshy. The second, a man clad entirely in red armor; the armor is reminiscent of the gunzosha armor Lookshy is so fond of. The third...the third is a woman, breathtakingly beautiful, with pale green eyes and silver skin. Black jade is seemingly fused to her body; Zhou can recognize elements from nearly every period in Lookshy's history. Tien Yu herself is at this meeting.

Ayesha's voice calls from behind her office door.

"Chozei Kharal? Lawgiver Orchid? Could I have a word with the two of you before the meeting?"

Lupo approaches Child, his expression as grim and stony as usual.

"Child of Ruby and Steel. Do you have my report?"

May Blosoom finishes making minute adjustments to her (perfectly styled) coiffure, and turns to Skandi.

"I expect introductions are in order. May Blossom Dynast Nellens, of the Forbidding Manse of Ivy. And your name is...?"

Lauren

After a night of reflection, she awakens to find Stormwrack nowhere to be found, but a note has been pinned to her door.

At work. Don't leave the manse. Too dangerous. For own good. - Stormwrack

Spoiler
    Show

If that isn't an invitation to rebel and leave the manse, I don't know what is.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

20. - Top - End - #770

Zhou nods to the others presently gathered in the chamber - bowing shortly towards Tien Yu - before turning and making his way into the Sidereal's office.

"You wanted to speak with us... Ayesha? Chairwoman? Harbinger?" he says with a smile. "Sorry, still getting used to the protocol around here."

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Golden Barque

Eris enters the chamber a step behind Firada. Her sister's been quiet since they arrived in Yu-Shan, and since the tea the previous afternoon, the Eclipse has been trying not to intrude. Hopefully the meditation in the gardens has helped, and if she knows Firada, the chance to do something active against the Mask should help more...

Still, it doesn't take either speech or a conscious decision, to fall into place behind the White Rose of Thorns.

Eris flashes a warm smile at Black Ice Shadow and May Blossom as she steps away from the door, and offers a more subdued polite inclination of her head to the three strangers. She unbuttons her coat as she walks forward, hanging it over the back of one of the chairs: not, notably, the one next to Stormwrack.

The style of dress the Solar wears today has not been seen commonly in Creation, except in mockery or memorial, for the past twenty-six years.

It is not a courtly fashion, per se. Practical comfortable garb, rather, for a skilled artisan, or a prosperous trader, or a celebrated poet - but in a city where excellence was a way of life, and beauty the heart of excellence. Before the shadows came.

Her long coat and trousers are dark rich brocade, made subtle with iridescent hues of deep blue and green and red. (Colors of Remembrance.) Beneath the coat, once she removes it, her close-fitting long-sleeved tunic is deep wine-red silk - contrasting sharply with the bright fiery gold of her orichalcum breastplate, no longer concealed. A dragon-and-phoenix design is picked out on the silk, in thread-of-gold.

At Ayesha's summons the diminutive Eclipse follows Zhou through the door, placing her hands together and bowing politely to the Elder as she enters. Her smile is warm and engaging, despite the formal deference. "Indeed. Actually, I meant to ask... what is the proper term of respectful address for a Sidereal? People here call me Lawgiver - although really, just Orchid is fine, at least in this company - and I've been told Lunars are Stewards, but I don't know the equivalent for members of the Five-Score Fellowship."

And you did call me Orchid, this time. As I told you my friends do. Noted.

Spoiler
    Show
    The subtexts of Orchid's clothing are many, but the obvious ones are supposed to be remembrance of Thorns, support of Lookshy, honor to Mars, and readiness to use her abilities as a Solar (since she's openly wearing orichalcum).

(Slightly less obvious ones, for people who've done their homework, include the links to Firada's sword and Zhou's anima.)

Also, Orchid quite likes and respects Stormwrack, but is trying not to mess up his carefully cultivated reputation. "Gold Faction member so incompetent that in five days on an isolated boat with a Solar he only managed to alienate her" seems to fit his desired image.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-07-30 at 09:38 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Too dangerous?

Oh, wow.
    Dangerous?!

Okay. Let's think this through. He knows I can fight. And he can't be so stupid as to think I'd react well to some stupid overprotective bs. If he really wanted me here, he'd have explained. Not left something like this.

She's fairly sure her logic is sound. Of course, he might just assume she's a soldier, and will do as she's told... or might not know her well enough to know how she'd react yet...

...there are a lot of things that could be going on here.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

23. - Top - End - #773

Skandi has not, alas, had the time to go shopping. He does, however, have precisely one good outfit - good by the standards of Creation, that is, dyed with strong, clear blue like the sky, shot through with threads of silver like the moon.

By the standards of Yu-Shan, he seems almost to fade into the background, despite the moonsilver marks on his skin that peek out from the neck of the tunic, despite the jade armor, suitable for dress as well as war; the balanced sword at his side, he is nevertheless the plainest person in the room.*

But his walk is full of cheerful energy, his smile warm, and his response to May Blossom perfectly polite.

Skandi bows as if to kiss her hand; if proffered, he does so, before rising. “Skandi the Wolf, called Kinslayer, Temple-Smasher and Dragonsbane, of the Silver Pact. Most honored to meet you, Dynast.”

Well, mostly polite. Lunars, you know. All barbarians.

Spoiler
    Show
    (Stormwrack may look terrible. He never looks plain.)

24. - Top - End - #774
    Troll in the Playground

Skandi has not, alas, had the time to go shopping. He does, however, have precisely one good outfit - good by the standards of Creation, that is, dyed with strong, clear blue like the sky, shot through with threads of silver like the moon.

By the standards of Yu-Shan, he seems almost to fade into the background, despite the moonsilver marks on his skin that peek out from the neck of the tunic, despite the jade armor, suitable for dress as well as war; the balanced sword at his side, he is nevertheless the plainest person in the room.*

But his walk is full of cheerful energy, his smile warm, and his response to May Blossom perfectly polite.

Skandi bows as if to kiss her hand; if proffered, he does so, before rising. “Skandi the Wolf, called Kinslayer, Temple-Smasher and Dragonsbane, of the Silver Pact. Most honored to meet you, Dynast.”

Well, mostly polite. Lunars, you know. All barbarians.

Spoiler
    Show
    (Stormwrack may look terrible. He never looks plain.)
    May Blossom

She accepts the gesture, curtsying in return.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Steward Skandi. Though I should inform you that I am not a Dynast. My use of 'Dynast' after the personal name indicates patrician status; there has not been a Terrestrial Exaltation in my line for three generations."

The elegant Sidereal allows herself a quick smile, then, leans in closer.

"Though I do believe you killed my third cousin in an avalanche, if the rumors are to be believed. Don't worry about any hard feelings, though; he enjoyed his whores far more than an Immaculate monk ought to."

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    The Golden Barque

Eris enters the chamber a step behind Firada. Her sister's been quiet since they arrived in Yu-Shan, and since the tea the previous afternoon, the Eclipse has been trying not to intrude. Hopefully the meditation in the gardens has helped, and if she knows Firada, the chance to do something active against the Mask should help more...

Still, it doesn't take either speech or a conscious decision, to fall into place behind the White Rose of Thorns.

Eris flashes a warm smile at Black Ice Shadow and May Blossom as she steps away from the door, and offers a more subdued polite inclination of her head to the three strangers. She unbuttons her coat as she walks forward, hanging it over the back of one of the chairs: not, notably, the one next to Stormwrack.

The style of dress the Solar wears today has not been seen commonly in Creation, except in mockery or memorial, for the past twenty-six years.

It is not a courtly fashion, per se. Practical comfortable garb, rather, for a skilled artisan, or a prosperous trader, or a celebrated poet - but in a city where excellence was a way of life, and beauty the heart of excellence. Before the shadows came.

Her long coat and trousers are dark rich brocade, made subtle with iridescent hues of deep blue and green and red. (Colors of Remembrance.) Beneath the coat, once she removes it, her close-fitting long-sleeved tunic is deep wine-red silk - contrasting sharply with the bright fiery gold of her orichalcum breastplate, no longer concealed. A dragon-and-phoenix design is picked out on the silk, in thread-of-gold.

At Ayesha's summons the diminutive Eclipse follows Zhou through the door, placing her hands together and bowing politely to the Elder as she enters. Her smile is warm and engaging, despite the formal deference. "Indeed. Actually, I meant to ask... what is the proper term of respectful address for a Sidereal? People here call me Lawgiver - although really, just Orchid is fine, at least in this company - and I've been told Lunars are Stewards, but I don't know the equivalent for members of the Five-Score Fellowship."

And you did call me Orchid, this time. As I told you my friends do. Noted.

Spoiler
    Show
    The subtexts of Orchid's clothing are many, but the obvious ones are supposed to be remembrance of Thorns, support of Lookshy, honor to Mars, and readiness to use her abilities as a Solar (since she's openly wearing orichalcum).

(Slightly less obvious ones, for people who've done their homework, include the links to Firada's sword and Zhou's anima.)

Also, Orchid quite likes and respects Stormwrack, but is trying not to mess up his carefully cultivated reputation. "Gold Faction member so incompetent that in five days on an isolated boat with a Solar he only managed to alienate her" seems to fit his desired image.
    Ayesha

Ayesha's office is simply, yet tastefully decorated. It is dominated by the far wall: a single pane of glass looking out onto Yu-Shan. The elder Sidereal, who looks barely thirty, is seated at a massive desk facing the glass wall, and she smiles as they enter.

"The correct term is 'Vizier'," she says quietly, looking up from a report, brow furrowed as she places the document in a drawer. "Though for various reasons, it has fallen out of favor, and is rarely used today."

"As for why I called you here...I heard about about your...incident with the censor, and I would like to express my condolences about those events. Unfortunately, the Time of Turmoil has not left Yu-Shan unscathed, and the city is not without its problems. Among them is that without a suitable patron or sponsor-a deity of sufficient rank or the bearer of a Celestial Exaltation-Terrestrial Exalts have very few, if any, legal rights in the city."

Her eyes avert as she darts behind the desk to rummages between drawers.

"But in any case, I was able to arrange for the return of your property, Chozei."

Very carefully, and with respect, she places the familiar sheathed form of Aurora on the desk, hilt facing Zhou.

Lessons

There is a room in the Violet Bier where few enter. The silent corridors of the building are not as labyrinthine as the Forbidding Manse of Ivy, but this is a room that few have the desire to enter. Its presence unnerves them; its existence perplexes them.

The Hall of Ignominious Honor is a long marble hall with thirteen alcoves. Massive marble statues, both male fill the furthest two: one bald and bearded, a crazed look in his eye and face, twin daggers in his hands; and another, cleanshaven, dressed in the robes of a Shogunate monk, barehanded.

The alcoves of the Hall of Ignominious Honor are reserved for those who have developed arts such that the Maidens themselves were forced to intervene, banning the teaching of their ominous Scriptures, incising the memories of their methods from their Exaltations, and burning their manuals and shredding their sutras, so that their teachings can never resurface in Creation again. Now, only the names of these forbidden arts, and the names of their creators remain.

It is here that Chejop Kejak teaches his pupil. Here among those who raised the Maiden's ire by delving too far.
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-07-31 at 12:06 AM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

25. - Top - End - #775

Zhou's eyes widen in momentary surprise, and then he picks up the blade, spinning it in one hand and drawing it partway from the sheath in a single, smooth motion. The red jade catches the light as he turns it over, inspecting the magical material with obvious concern, and the rippling flames beneath it's surface seem to burn brighter as he claims ownership of it once more.

"Thank you." he says with the utmost sincerity, sliding the Daiklaive back into it's sheath and attaching it to his side once more. He won't deny, the familiar weight on his hip is far more comforting than anything so simple should really be. "I only wish it hadn't proven necessary. Still, I did notice signs of the... inherent bias here and there, yes."

A faint grimace. "Unfortunately, I have no idea how to improve that, and some of my more... instinctive responses would probably just make it worse. Still, I appreciate the assistance."

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

She makes up her mind. She is not waiting here all day.

She heads for the exit, taking a moment to leave a note, written under his, saying merely 'That's not happening. Have a nice day!'
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Vizier". Ah. Let's mentally file that away under (1) potentially useful emotional handles and (2) ways to get punched in the nose.

But the Eclipse smiles in echo of Zhou's smile, relief shading to thoughtfulness. "Yes. It's something I would very much like to change, as well." She shakes her head slightly. "Although the methods I have to do so... I would not want to attempt the fastest and most direct approach without advice from someone who understood the city and its people better. As for slower methods, well, I expect the Mask will provide ample distraction. And anyway the hearing made it very clear that I don't yet know enough about the laws of Heaven to argue from a position of strength, although I'm hoping to remedy that for the future." Her smile turns a little rueful, and she inclines her head to Ayesha again. "I am grateful, Chairwoman. Did your sources... tell you what triggered the incident?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Given that Ayesha is an Elder who can probably blow through Orchid's Manip+Socialize/2 rating very easily... I'm putting her actual emotions and intentions in the spoiler.

Spoiler
    Show
    Orchid is genuinely grateful, but she's wondering whether Ayesha is doing this to impress her, to befriend Zhou, to emphasize how much nicer it is to have her on their side, to make a point about her sister's vulnerability, or for some other reason. She is deliberately not mentioning Firada, because it's not an issue right now, and she wants to see if Ayesha will actually emphasize that point.

The intended subtext to what she said was, (1) I know Taboo-Inflicting Diatribe, (2) I would be willing to use it if you point me at the right groups, but I'm not planning to fire it up out of sheer frustration, (3) more broadly, I am trying to learn and would welcome your help, (4) how much do you know of what Lytek told us?

She would like Ayesha to be an ally, and so is trying to do her part (and she is at least considering the possibility that Ayesha is doing exactly the same thing). But Orchid doesn't actually trust her yet, on general principles - she's just trying to act like she does, because it's polite and hopeful.

She is also a little skeptical that Ayesha is sincere about prejudice against Dragon-Bloods being a problem in Yu-Shan, given what Orchid understands to be her Faction's idea of the proper place of the Terrestrial Exalted. But she's willing to take this at face value for now.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-08-01 at 01:45 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #778
    Troll in the Playground

Ayesha

"Thank you for being prudent," Ayesha responds. "The Celestial Bureaucracy is a massive, enormously complicated structure. Any attempt to impose upon it as a lone agent, even a Lawgiver would be met with retaliation. Some changes must proceed slowly in order for them to be done well. For now...observe. Listen. Learn. And abide by the unwritten rules until you have strength enough to change them."

"As for what happened...I should warn you that gods, even those who seem to be of the best intentions, are not humans. They do not think as we do, and their reactions may seem strange to us. And while the doings of the Mask of Winters may seem of the utmost importance to some, there are gods who remember the Balorian Crusade for the sudden influx of refugee gods it caused, but know nothing of why they fled."

Lauren

Wandering around the streets of Yu-Shan, the young Nocturnal drinks in the heavenly sights and sounds and smells of the city. There is luxury here to make Sierra's ancestral home seem a hovel, and excess in Creation may be considered frugality here.

As she walks Heaven's boulevards, she finds that she recognizes the dark, mustachio'd face of Burning Waters at a cafe; he appears to be looking with some confusion and suspicion at a white cup topped with white and brown foam.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

29. - Top - End - #779

Zhou blinks in mute shock, and it takes him a few moments to properly wrap his head around the concept. "But... the Crusade has a good claim as being the single most influential event in history, second only to the Usurpation or the original Primordial War. It touched just about everything... how can you not know about it and claim yourself educated?"

He shakes his head. "You are right, that makes little sense to me. I do not envy you for having to deal with it. Still... in the meantime, this council. Anything we should know in advance?"

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Orchid smiles a little at Some changes must proceed slowly in order for them to be done well, and gives Ayesha a small firm nod, agreement as well as acknowledgement.

At Zhou's words she shakes her head, leaf-green eyes hardening a little, although her smile remains pleasant. "I can imagine, living amid the wonders of Yu-Shan, it would be easy enough to ignore the suffering of Creation except as it impinges on one's own life. Riding the clouds, it can be hard to see the streets below." She pauses momentarily. "I'm not speaking of the Five-Score Fellowship, of course. Your people do clearly care about the world. But..." She smiles, half a grimace. "Said of the gods, that comment was more or less what got Zhou in trouble."

"Something that might be relevant to this council, though..." She considers for a moment, but yelling at the top of his voice doesn't seem to qualify as 'in confidence'. Still, best be careful. "Lytek said plenty of unflattering things about the nations of Creation. One term he used liberally was illegitimate. Enough that it was noticeable, when he avoided characterizing Lookshy in that way."

Orchid tilts her head at the leader of the Gold Faction. "I read the meaning behind his words. He believes that Lookshy has probably already been... 'claimed', by someone." She glances apologetically at Zhou - I didn't want to worry you last night - and then looks back at the Elder Sidereal, with a questioning arch of her eyebrows.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-08-01 at 10:07 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show