New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/E6] Rizban's E6 Compendium

Dear Gods we're swiming in archetypes. This week was a really crappy one. Next week shall be more productive.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Brawler: Critical Strike is stated to stack with other such effects. Should it be stated that this threat range increase is always applied last, preventing keen from multiplying it as well? I.e. does a keen scimitar wielded by a brawler threaten on 14 or a 13? (I know this was answered in the thread, but the text on the class seems unclear to me)

Acrobat:
    didn't spot any issues aside from a glaring lack of rapier proficiency. Swash-buckle!

Expert:
    Proposed Professional Knack - Journeyman: Your cohort may make profession checks using your skill ranks, modifiers, and knacks.
    Prerequisite: Apprentice

Proposed Sage Knack - Exploit Weakness: when making an attack, the expert may spend one point of insight to ignore damage reduction and hardness equal to his INT modifier until the start of his next turn
    Prerequisite: Know Weakness

Auger
    : Vigor still needs a duration

Magus: Esoteric knowledge does not apply to anything that isn't identified by arcana, dungeoneering, religion, or the planes. I presume this is intentional (knowing how to hurt a human isn't terribly esoteric), but does mean there will be days that the ability is never sued, especially at low levels (fighting humanoids and animals).

Spellblade:
    Eldritch blast does not have a listed action. As such it is assumed to be a standard action, but it wouldn't hurt to state it.

Does surging conduit work with two-weapon fighting, allowing the spell to be channeled into the off-hand attacks as well?

ALSO - spellbreaker is updated (finally) per Rizban's input form a long time ago as well as properly formatted!

I'm taking a break now. My eyes hurt.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-09 at 03:14 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Background:
    Phalanx Trained
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have spend many hours training top fight in a shield wall.
    • You may wield spears, longspears, glaives, and ranseurs as one-handed weapons.

(That could also work as a feat. Mainly wanted it to fit with the hoplite archetype.)

More feats:
    Deadly Blow [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your blow lands heavily, inflicting a terrible wound.
    Prerequisites: Combat Focus, Adrenaline Rush
    Benefit: When you hit with a weapon or natural weapon attack you may spend 1 FP as an immediate action to maximize your weapon damage.

Bloody Focus [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pain brings clarity.
    Prerequisites: Combat Focus, Meditation
    Benefit: When a creature confirms a critical hit against you, succeeds with a combat maneuver verses you, or negates one of your attacks, you gain 1 FP. You cannot gain more than 1 FP per round from this ability.

Ranged Training [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your mental focus grants you deadly precision.
    Prerequisites: Combat Focus
    Benefit: Choose a ranged weapon type (shortbow, crossbow, etc). As long as you have at least 1 FP, you are treated as having the feats point blank shot, precise shot, and rapid shot for that weapon only. Once chosen the weapon can only be changed with 8 hrs of intense training with a new weapon. This feat counts as point blank shot, precise shot, and rapid shot for the purposes of qualifying for other feats.

(I think the feat tax on ranged combat is terrible design, so this reduces the burden, giving you the one feat you wanted (rapid shot) combined with the one you have to take anyway even though it is weak (PBS) and the one that only exists as a feat tax to address a rule that could have been done away with (precise shot). It is a strong feat relative to others, though it only applies to one weapon at a time, but really, the feat tax needs to die. Remove rapid shot from the list if its too strong.)

Focused Maneuver [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can see the flaws in your opponents stance and exploits them to send him reeling.
    Benefit: You may spend FP as part of a combat maneuver. You gain an insight bonus on all checks related to the maneuver equal to twice the FP spent.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-13 at 01:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

(Wombat's Review of)Skillful Classes(Part 2!)

The Expert

Spoiler
    Show
    Role: The expert is a learned character who pursues excellence in a craft, trade, or field of knowledge. An expert is an almost purely support class.
    Basically, the class I always wanted to play as a player, but only ever ended up playing as a DM. Would this also be something NPC's often had, since there are a lot of tradesmen, crafters, so on?

Hit Die: d6
    Class Skills (8 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level): All skills are class skills for an expert.
    I like that feature. Works well for the class, and makes a lot of sense.

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of The Expert.
    Spoiler
    Show

Specialization (Ex): At 1st level, an expert chooses which path he will take and the focus of his abilities and talents. He must choose either Craftsman, Professional, or Sage.
    Craftsmen focus on producing the highest quality goods, from swords to tapestries. A craftsman gains an insight bonus to all Craft skill checks equal to half his Expert level, rounded up.
    Professionals are dedicated to business, whether providing a service, trading of goods, or simply investing wisely. A professional gains an insight bonus to all Profession skill checks equal to half his Expert level, rounded up.
    Sages are masters of lore and knowledge from history to anatomy and engineering to politics. a sage gains an insight bonus to all knowledge skill checks equal to half his expert level, rounded up.
    Alright, so I can be one of these paths, and they help me with a certain venue of skills. And you've chosen things that make sense - Craft, Profession, and Knowledge. Now, you've made it so they know a bunch of things in one category. Though, it feels a little wierd, mostly because of the fact that if I choose craftsmen, than I'm really good at making anything. From forging to item smithing, and so on, and that just seems odd. If I was a Sage, I have the chance to know everything. Arcane, religion, nature, so on... It just doesn't seem realistic. From a crunch stand point, it makes sense, but yeah. When I hear the term expert, I think of someone excelling in a specific category, like I'm an expert blacksmith, or and expert on nature, or some such.

Insight (Ex): An expert gains a number of Insight Points which he can expend to gain bonuses to many abilities. At the beginning of each encounter, he gains a number of Insight Points based on his level, as indicated on the class table, plus his Intelligence modifier. Expending points of Insight is a free action.
    At 1st level, before rolling an attack roll, damage roll, saving throw, or skill check, an expert can expend 1 point of Insight to gain an insight bonus on the roll equal to his Intelligence modifier.
    If this says what I think it does, I get insight points equal to my level per encounter, and I can use these to gain an insight bonus in different ways. So you are using the same number you have of insight points at that level to dictate how much of a bonus you get on the thing you are amping. In first level for this ability, we get the ability to uses this to add your bonus to an attack, damage, saving throw or skill check. If I had a +2 modifier to intelligence, I could do this 3 times in one encounter, and get a +3 to something of my choice (adding my level to my modifier). However I seem to have misread this because in the table it says at level 1 you get 0 insight points...so does that mean you get 0 points, plus you intelligence modifier? So in this example, I'd have 2 points, and a +2? Hm.

Further questions: Can I use all of the insight points toward one attack? So say I used both those points toward an attack, giving me a +4. Does this insight effect my roll itself, or as an addition to the roll (one would create a more common critical, one would just help the attack succeed)? Can I use my points in one attack where one of my insight points goes to the attack, and the other toward damage?

Knacks: Experts gain a number of abilities as they advance collectively referred to as knacks. Experts may choose any knack for which they qualify, but only those from their chosen specialization.
    More of this when I read them down below, however, shouldn't they me right next to the knacks ability? Perhaps in a spoiler for them?

Insightful Defense (Ex): An expert learns to read his opponents and predict their attacks. By spending a point of Insight, he adds his Intelligence modifier as an insight bonus to his Armor Class against one opponent until the start of the expert's next turn. This ability may be activated as an immediate action.
    Alright, so at level 2, you can use your insight points to AC as well as the abilities listed in Insight. I approve of you naming this so that it references the insight ability by name. I assume you did it like this to keep it away from some 3.5 abilities that go on to describe what happens to it at each level to in a long list, and instead do it in such a way where its easily apparent what you get and when.

Brilliant Aid (Ex): When using Aid Another, an expert may spent a point of Insight to increase the DC on his check to 15. If he succeeds on his Aid Another check, he adds 2 + his Int modifier to his ally's check.
    Is Aid Another a Feat (I ask because it's got a capitalized name like a feat or ability might). Otherwise, I'm assuming it's aiding another in a skill check or ability roll. Actually, I'm just gonna ask for this to be more clear before I respond to it.

Insightful Strike (Ex): As a full round action, an expert can make a single attack and expend a points of Insight to deal additional damage against a single target. An expert adds damage equal to his expert level, but the Insight must be spent before making the attack roll. If the attack misses, the Insight spent is wasted.
    Grammar error: first sentence, "expend a points of Insight". This confuses me because I thought I could add damage to an attack already from the original Insight abilitiy...does this instead allows me to spend a point to gain an additional attack? And then if it succeeds, I get additional damage based on my level, not based on my bonus that insight gives on every other insight ability so far?

Skill Mastery (Ex): At 5th level, an expert selects a number of skills equal to his Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check using one of the selected skills, he may take 10 even if stress or distractions would normally prevent him from doing so.
    Basically Master Acrobat with every skill. Hrm...so basically I can do the same thing an Acrobat does skill wise, except...with more skills. I see this making the expert potentially better in skills of a physical nature, especially since they can do it in any armor, unlike the acrobat.

True Expert: Once per encounter, an expert may choose to use one of these abilities. All abilities are activated as a free action unless otherwise stated.
    • Epiphany (Ex): Every point of insight spent this round counts as two points for the purpose of determining bonuses and effects.
    • Skill Insight (Ex): When using skill mastery to take 10, the expert may take 15 instead. This function exactly as if he were taking 10, but the result is treated as though he rolled a 15.
    • Brains Over Brawn (Ex): When making an ability check or skill check based on Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution, an expert may add his Intelligence modifier to the roll instead of the physical ability score.
    Epiphany - So double the insight bonus, or effect. Nice.

Skill Insight - Nice. Though - how long does taking a 10 take?

Brains Over Brawn - Cool. All three of these I approve of.

Alright, so Knacks are their own (huge) category. Expect a review of that one seperate from this post. I'll try keeping in mind the class as a whole when considering it, though its a large list for only one class.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-05-13 at 01:05 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    (Wombat's Review of)Skillful Classes(Part 2!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Insight (Ex)
    <snip>

However I seem to have misread this because in the table it says at level 1 you get 0 insight points...so does that mean you get 0 points, plus you intelligence modifier? So in this example, I'd have 2 points, and a +2? Hm.
    You get 0 + Int mod at 1st level, as you noticed later in that paragraph. Yes, you would have 2 points per encounter and be able to add a +2 insight bonus to certain rolls.

Further questions: Can I use all of the insight points toward one attack? So say I used both those points toward an attack, giving me a +4.
    "Insight" is a standard bonus type. This ability adds an "insight bonus" to certain rolls. Insight bonuses, as per standard rules, do not stack with themselves. Only the highest insight bonus applies. Spending two points on a single roll, while technically possible, does not increase the bonus to that roll.
    Does this insight effect my roll itself, or as an addition to the roll (one would create a more common critical, one would just help the attack succeed)?
    It affects the final total just like any normal bonus to a roll does. I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from.
    Can I use my points in one attack where one of my insight points goes to the attack, and the other toward damage?
    Yes, you can spend them on anything to which the ability allows them to apply. They are spent as a free action, so you may use them in any combination without limitation beyond those explicitly stated, i.e. they only apply to certain rolls, and insight bonuses do not stack with themselves.

Knacks
    More of this when I read them down below, however, shouldn't they me right next to the knacks ability? Perhaps in a spoiler for them?
    As you saw below, it's a rather large list, so I placed it at the end, much as the full spell lists of spellcasters are set aside in their own section.

Insightful Defense (Ex)
    Alright, so at level 2, you can use your insight points to AC as well as the abilities listed in Insight. I approve of you naming this so that it references the insight ability by name. I assume you did it like this to keep it away from some 3.5 abilities that go on to describe what happens to it at each level to in a long list, and instead do it in such a way where its easily apparent what you get and when.
    That is correct.

Brilliant Aid (Ex)
    Is Aid Another a Feat (I ask because it's got a capitalized name like a feat or ability might). Otherwise, I'm assuming it's aiding another in a skill check or ability roll. Actually, I'm just gonna ask for this to be more clear before I respond to it.
    See Aid Another in Combat and Aid Another during a skill check. Both are standard 3.5 special actions using the same mechanic and the same name. A successful roll adds a +2 to something for another character. Brilliant Aid changes this from +2 to +2+Int mod.

Insightful Strike (Ex)
    Grammar error: first sentence, "expend a points of Insight". This confuses me because I thought I could add damage to an attack already from the original Insight abilitiy...does this instead allows me to spend a point to gain an additional attack? And then if it succeeds, I get additional damage based on my level, not based on my bonus that insight gives on every other insight ability so far?
    That's an error on my part. The damage bonus should not be listed as one of the options in the 1st-level ability. It will be removed from that list in the next posted update.

Skill Mastery (Ex)
    Basically Master Acrobat with every skill. Hrm...so basically I can do the same thing an Acrobat does skill wise, except...with more skills. I see this making the expert potentially better in skills of a physical nature, especially since they can do it in any armor, unlike the acrobat.
    That is a good point. My original intention was to make limited to skills tied to a mental ability score, but I dropped that at some point due to wording issues. I will add that back in with the next posted update, though I'll need to figure out how to word it appropriately.

Epiphany - So double the insight bonus, or effect. Nice.
    Yes, exactly.

Skill Insight - Nice. Though - how long does taking a 10 take?
    It takes the same amount of time as if you rolled the dice. See Checks Without Rolls. This ability does not change that.

Brains Over Brawn - Cool. All three of these I approve of.
    Check.

Alright, so Knacks are their own (huge) category. Expect a review of that one seperate from this post. I'll try keeping in mind the class as a whole when considering it, though its a large list for only one class.
    I look forward to that.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

stack, sorry that I've been kind of ignoring your posts lately. You've posted so much content that I wanted to get some time to sit down and review it seriously before replying to much of it. Not everything you've posted will be replied to in order, as I've moved some of the quotes around to be grouped according to topic.

A note to the other contributors in this thread, I'll be working through each of your contributions next.

1Classes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Brawler: Critical Strike is stated to stack with other such effects. Should it be stated that this threat range increase is always applied last, preventing keen from multiplying it as well? I.e. does a keen scimitar wielded by a brawler threaten on 14 or a 13? (I know this was answered in the thread, but the text on the class seems unclear to me)
    It always applies last. I'll specify that.

Acrobat: didn't spot any issues aside from a glaring lack of rapier proficiency. Swash-buckle!
    While thematically great, it was hard enough to not make Acrobat into another Combat archetype without adding more weapon proficiencies.

Expert:
    Proposed Professional Knack - Journeyman: Your cohort may make profession checks using your skill ranks, modifiers, and knacks.
    Prerequisite: Apprentice
    That works for me. Added it.

Proposed Sage Knack - Exploit Weakness: when making an attack, the expert may spend one point of insight to ignore damage reduction and hardness equal to his INT modifier until the start of his next turn
    Prerequisite: Know Weakness
    I'm not really a fan of this ability. I'd still rather come up with something else for that final Sage slot.

Augur: Vigor still needs a duration
    Check.

Magus: Esoteric knowledge does not apply to anything that isn't identified by arcana, dungeoneering, religion, or the planes. I presume this is intentional (knowing how to hurt a human isn't terribly esoteric), but does mean there will be days that the ability is never sued, especially at low levels (fighting humanoids and animals).
    That is as intended.

Spellblade: Eldritch blast does not have a listed action. As such it is assumed to be a standard action, but it wouldn't hurt to state it.
    Yes, standard action.

Does surging conduit work with two-weapon fighting, allowing the spell to be channeled into the off-hand attacks as well?
    No. Conducting a spell only ever affects a single weapon. I'll mention that in the main ability.

1Archetypes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Beastmaster Archetype, capstones: "Augur – Channel of Nature (Su): When using channeling to use either the vigor or prescience ability,..." I think the end of the ability got cut off.
    Thanks, I'm not sure how I managed that. The complete sentence is, "When using channeling to use either the vigor or prescience ability, the bonuses apply to his animal companion as well."

Mimic
    First, I want to say that I really like the concept and will definitely use it. However, I'd really, really prefer to not use Combat Focus on anything except Combat classes. The way you set it up looks like it would work well, but I want to keep FP unique to Combat if for no other reason than because I want it that way.

Spoiler
    Show
    A trickster skilled at mirroring his enemies attacks

Prerequisites: Mimic is available to any Skillful class.
    Archetype Skills: An Mimic gains disguise and spellcraft as class skills if he does not already possess them.
    Archetype Proficiencies: An Mimic gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.
    Seems perfectly reasonable.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Improvisational Focus (Ex): The mimic gains the combat focus feat even if he doesn't qualify for it. Additionally, the mimic gains one FP every time he makes a save against a spell or spell-like ability. The mimic's maximum focus increases by 1.
    As mentioned above.
    • Mirror Spell (Su): Whenever the Mimic identifies a spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability, he may chose, before the end of his next turn, to spend a number of FP equal to the effective spell level of the spell or ability to use the ability himself. The ability is treated as if it had been used by the original creature for caster level, DC's, and applicable feats, but the effect originates from the mimic and is under the mimics control. This ability does not deplete any uses of the ability from the original creature. The mirrored spell requires the same action to activate as the original and provokes attacks of opportunity as the original. The mimic does not suffer arcane spell failure when using this ability.
    I like it, though I believe I'll make this a (Sp) and limit it to spells and SLAs. Additionally, I believe it needs a caveat stating that any metamagic effects added to the spell are not mimicked.

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Mirror Move (Ex): Within one minute of observing another creature make a skill check the Mimic may spend 1 FP to make a skill check of the same type using the original creature's skill bonus.
    • Disguise (Sp): The Mimic may use disguise self at will as a caster of the Mimic's level. The effect continues until the Mimic chooses to change or dismiss it, the Mimic rests, or the effect is dispelled.
    Both seem okay, if a bit underwhelming compared to the 1st-level ability.
    Greater Archetype Power
    • Retain Move (Su): The mimic may spend 1 FP to retain the use of an identified ability or spell for 1 round/class level.
    Is this so that he can delay casting the spell for a couple of rounds?
    • Steal Move (Su): As part of an attack, the Mimic may spend FP to deny the target creature the ability to use a spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability. The mimic can then treat this ability as if he had identified it for purposes of Mirror Move and Retain Move. The number of points spent are equal to the effective spell level of the ability. The mimic can choose which ability to steal, though if the target does not have the chosen ability the attempt fails. Otherwise a random ability is taken. The target creature cannot use the stolen ability for as long as the Mimic retains it.
    I kind of like this, but it definitely needs some reworking to make it appropriate.
    Capstone: An Mimic adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Acrobat – Dashing Focus (Ex): For three round the acrobat gains a focus point each time he avoids an attack of opportunity from an enemy.
    • Expert – Inspired Focus (Ex): For three rounds, the expert may spend focus points in place of inspiration points or inspiration points in place of focus points.
    • Troubadour – Spell Focus (Su): The troubadour may, at any time, spend focus points to regain uses of his Magic Aptitude ability.
    Definitely going to need to change with dropping FP...

Overall, I get the feeling that this is supposed to be Spellthief minus the Rogue. As I said, I think it's a good idea, but it will need to be heavily reworked to remove it's reliance on FP.

On the other hand, it could easily be reworked into a Combat archetype and included in one of the side projects rather than in the core if you want to go that direction with it instead. I think a Sentinel/Mimic might actually be really fun to play.

Whip-master
    Once again, I like the idea. I think, however, that an archetype so heavily focused on a single weapon is, thematically speaking, a little too narrow for what I'd like to have in the "core". Perhaps reworked as a racial option or included as another option in one of the side projects would be good.

Alternatively, broadening the concept a little bit into a wider focus, such as "reach weapons" or something might work. Though still might be a bit narrow for what I'd like to include in the core.

Spoiler
    Show
    a skilled combatant who uses range and surgical precision to defeat his foes.

Prerequisites: Whip-master is available to any class.
    Archetype Skills: A Whip-master gains no additional class skills.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A Whip-master gains proficiency with whips if he does not already have it.
    If offered in a side project, the "any class" becomes more appropriate, particularly if racially restricted. Otherwise, I don't see it really offering much to the Magic classes.
    The rest seems perfectly acceptable.

I like the special line. I might add it to the whip master to allow them to take red mage spells.
    Keeping in mind the above, this sounds like that might work.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Whip MAstery (Ex): Whip-master can do lethal damage with a whip regardless of their targets Armor Bonus and Natural AC. Additionally, the whip master threatens out to 5' with any whip he wields.
    • Quick Wrist (Ex): The Whip Master may use his Dex bonus in place of his Str bonus for all trip and disarm checks.
    Those seem like fairly minimal abilities but are nice perks. The archetype just doesn't really seem to offer anything other than "Can use whips" at 1st level. It needs at least one more perk at this level to make it a viable option.
    Moderate Archetype Power
    • Wrap-up (Ex): Upon a successful attack with a whip, the Whip-master may choose to forgo damage and entangle his foe. The target suffers the entangled condition until either the whip master chooses to release him (an immediate action) or succeeding on a DC20 strength or escape artist check. The Whip-master can make no further attacks with the entangling whip until the target is released. The target can be no more than one size larger than the Whip-master. The Whip-master can choose to initiate a grapple against an entangled target as an attack action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
    I understand what you're saying here, but, just to be clear, you're suggesting essentially treating the whip like a net? I'm not entirely sure about the grappling part, as that seems a bit tacked on at the end.
    • Grasping lash (Ex): The Whip-master may make a trip check as a free action after successfully damaging a foe.
    Seems like a good option and is level appropriate.
    Greater Archetype Power
    • Improved Reach (Ex): When wielding a whip, the whip master now threatens an area as if wielding a weapon with the reach property (10' for small/medium)
    • Improved Finesse (Ex): The Whip-master may use his dexterity bonus in place of his strength bonus for damage when wielding a whip.
    Again, these seem like decent options but a bit lackluster. The first one needs clarification. As written, it takes away the ability to threaten adjacent foes.
    Capstone: An Whip-masteradds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Brawler – Stunning lash (Ex): If a brawler confirms a critical against a foe, as a free action he may choose to stun the target for 1d4 rounds as part of a successful trip check granted by the grasping lash ability. A Fort save reduces the stunned condition to staggered, DC = 10 + Brawler level/2 + Dex bonus.
    I'm not sure how a whip stuns... Maybe a different status effect would work better?
    • Gladiator – Show Fighter (Ex): A gladiator may activate this ability as a free action when makes a successful trip or disarm check, including checks granted by grasping lash. The gladiator treats the result of his trip check as an intimidate check to demoralize all opponents within 30'.
    I really don't like this ability. Trip/disarm a foe to get a free area effect demoralize? I just don't like it and can't picture how it would work. Perhaps instead make this ability do a "whirlwind attack" with the whip to show that he can hit anyone he wants to produce the demoralize effect on anyone within reach of the whip.
    • Sentinel – Long Arm(Ex): A sentinel may activate this ability as a free action. For three rounds the sentinel may extend the range of his ward ability to equal the reach of his whip (15 ft for small or medium sentinels).
    I'm against any ability that increases the range of the ward ability, with the exception of "Epic" level feats/abilities that are gained at the 20+ feats past 6th level point.
    • Acrobat – Rolling maneuver (Ex): An acrobat may replace a trip or disarm check with a tumble or jump check.
    You mean using the skill check in place of the trip/disarm check? Not really sure I like that ability or can picture how it would work.
    • Expert – Try again (Ex): An expert may spend a point on insight to re-try any trip or disarm check with a +4 untyped bonus. If the check is successful, he regains the point of inspiration. This ability may be after the result of the initial check is known.
    The "reroll" ability is the troubadour's shtick with his luck stuff. Not sure of a better option for the expert, but I don't think it really fits that well.
    • Troubadour – Whip-dance (Ex): A troubadour may spend a move action each round for up to three rounds. Each round, anyone who can see the Troubadour is affected by his inspiring aura even in an area of silence.
    Interesting... Needs a bit of clarification, but it could work.
    • Auger – Surging maneuvers (Su): As a free action, the auger may spend motes to grant a competence bonus equal to the number of motes spent on all trip and disarm checks made with a whip.
    (Augur not Auger) Seems appropriate.
    • Magus– Clever maneuvers (Ex): As a free action, a magus may add his INT bonus to trip checks for three rounds
    It works, though this is probably better as the Expert's ability.
    • Spellblade – Irresistible Channel (Sp): The spellblade may channel a spell through a held whip against a target currently entangled by the Wrap-up ability. No attack roll is required. If the spell allows a save, the DC is increased by the enhancement bonus of the whip.
    (The spellblade ability is "Spell Conduit" and "conduct a spell", similar in concept to metal conducting electricity. "Channel" is the purview of the Augur. Just want to keep the similar but distinct terms clear and properly applied.)
    That caveat aside, I think this is actually a really nice ability.

Special: If a Magic class selects the Whip-master archetype, he gains the spellcasting ability and spell list of a red mage. He does not, however, gain any other benefits of that archetype.
    Made mention of this above.

I mentioned my concerns about this archetype at the beginning, but I would like to still say that I really do like it, even if it isn't something I feel belongs in the system core. With a little bit of polishing, this could well be one of my favorite archetypes, though I think it would see the most use with Gladiator and Spellblade.

Shootist
    Good concept, terrible name.

Spoiler
    Show
    Master of short-range combat

Prerequisites: Shootist is available to any Combat class.
    Archetype Skills: A shootist gains no additional class skills.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A desperado gains proficiency with hand crossbows and pistols if he does not already possess it.
    Expected.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Combat Focus (Ex/Su/Sp): A shootist gains Combat Focus as a bonus feat. In addition, his maximum FP is increased by 1.
    • Deadeye (Ex): The shootist may spend 1 FP as a swift action to add his Dex modifier to all damage rolls of any crossbow or firearm until the end of his turn
    • Quick-draw(Ex): The shootist may draw a crossbow or firearm, or up to two hand-crossbows or pistols, as part of rolling initiative. He may also spend 1 FP as part of rolling initiative to add an insight bonus to the roll equal to his class level.
    • Well-trained(Ex):As long as the shootist has at least 1 FP, he is treated as having the point-blank shot, precise shot, and rapid reload feats, but only for hand-crossbows and pistols.
    I like the first three. Well-Trained seems a little off to me, though it could be made to work.
    Moderate Archetype Power
    • Trick shot (Ex): The shootist may spend 1 FP to perform a disarm, bullrush, or trip combat maneuver within the first range increment of his weapon. He may instead chose to ricochet his shot around a corner or other obstacle, negating cover, but suffers the normal penalties if he cannot see his target.
    • Careful Aim (Ex): The shootist can spend 1 FP as a move action to double the range increment of his attacks until the end of his turn. This attack deals double the base weapon damage. Any additional modifiers are not doubled.
    I don't really like either one of these abilities, though they do give a few ideas on what to do with this level.
    Greater Archetype Power
    • Arrow-splitter (Ex): If an enemy targets the shootist with a ranged attack, including spells, spell like abilities and supernatural abilities that require an attack roll, the shootist may spend 2 FP as an immediate action to make an attack roll using a held weapon. He may use the result of this attack roll as his AC or touch AC verses the attack.
    • Imbued alchemy (Su): As a full-round action, the shootist can imbue a number or arrows, bolts, or bullets equal to his class level with elemental energy. This energy persists for one hour per class level. When used as part of an attack, all damage from the round is dealt as the imbued element. The shootist may choose [fire], [cold], [shock], or [acid] at the time of the imbuing. Each round can be imbued with any one element as part of the same action. (feels a bit out of place)
    I really, really dislike Arrow-Splitter as written. The concept is decent, but it just grates on me for some reason.
    Item creation is, again, not something I'd really like to delve into too much with this type of archetype. While I can see doing something along those lines, I'm not sure this is how I would want to do it.
    Capstone: An shootist adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Class 1 – Capstone Ability Name (Ex/Su/Sp): Description.
    • Class 2 – Capstone Ability Name (Ex/Su/Sp): Description.
    • Class 3 – Capstone Ability Name (Ex/Su/Sp): Description.
    Hmm... I think this section will need to be rewritten entirely.

I've rethought the Desperado, and I think that moving it more in this direction is probably for the best. The name may or may not be Desperado in the end, but I think I'm going to work from this to form the version that eventually gets finalized.

Hoplite
    As mentioned elsewhere, I really like this archetype. That's why I rewrote it there and already plan to have it included in the next update.

Spellcasting capstones for the Trapsmith

Capstone: A trapsmith adds one additional option to his class' capstone ability.
    • Augur - Spring Trap (Sp): As a standard action, the auger may claim any one trap he is aware of. He may then trigger the trap remotely as an immediate action.
    With a bit of a rework, I've definitely decided use this. Really fun ability. So tempted to call it "Remote Trap" for the use of remote motes.
    • Magus - Trap Rune (Sp): The magus may convert a prepared spell into a trap rune. This requires an amount of time equal to the casting time of the spell and expends the spell slot. The trap ruin may be placed on any surface and is activated by passing though the 5' space. The magus may set conditions on the activation based on simple factors (race, size, etc.) Once triggered the spell goes off as is cast, targeting the triggering creature with the square it was placed on as the point of origin. If the spell requires an attack roll, use the magus's BAB and attack modifiers. Spells with target 'you' may not be triggered by anyone other than the magus.
    Again, a very nice ability that I'll include with a bit of a rework.
    • Spellblade - Eldritch Trap (Su): The spellblade may place a tactical trap anywhere within range of his eldritch blast as a standard action, dealing eldritch blast damage to any creature occupying the targeted space.
    I'm not really a fan of this one. I think an ability that let's the spellblade conduct his spells or blast through a trap would work better instead.

Prosopon
    I'm going to have to get to this one later. I'm getting rather tired at the moment, and this looks like it's going to require some serious digging to get through.

Caller
    I kept meaning to get to a summonor archetype, but I just didn't get to it yet. If nothing else, this should give me a good starting point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A wise mage knows the value of strength in numbers, calling aid in battle from other planes

Prerequisites: Caller is available to any Magic class.
    Archetype Skills: A caller gains Knowledge (Planes) and Knowledge (Nature) as class skills if he does not already possess them.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A caller gains gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.
    Makes sense.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Mighty Summons (Su): The caller is granted the augment summoning feat as a bonus feat.
    • Enduring Allies (Su): All summon nature's ally and summon monster spells are automatically extended without increasing spell level or casting time.
    Mighty is expected. Enduring needs to be better clarified but isn't bad.
    • Spontaneous call (Sp): A caller learns summon monster I-III as bonus spells at the appropriate levels. If the caller prepares spells, he may choose to sacrifice any other spell he has prepared to spontaneously cast one of these three spells. The sacrificed spell must be the same or higher level as the summon monster spell being cast. The caller knows and can prepare and cast these spells from memory and does not need to copy them into a spellbook if he uses one, and these spells do not count against his number of spells known.
    Pretty much expected.
    Moderate Archetype Power
    • Loyal Servant (Sp): The caller receives an unseen servant, as the spell, with unlimited duration. If the unseen servant is dispelled or destroyed, he may call another as a standard action.
    Didn't even consider this. Definitely a neat addition.
    • Expeditious Call (Sp): The caller may cast all summon nature's ally and summon monster spells as a standard action.
    I'm a little iffy on this one, particularly as it can potentially allow a spellblade to hit someone with his sword and suddenly BEAR! Maybe a casting time of full-round action instead of 1 round would be acceptable?
    Greater Archetype Power
    • Summon Horde (Su): When calling multiple creatures with a summon nature's ally or summon monster spell, the caller gains one extra creature.
    That seems like a nice capstone and not too terribly overpowered.
    Capstone: An ArchetypeName adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Auger – Great Call (Sp): The auger may spend one use of his spirit surge ability to cast Summon Monster IV.
    Not really a fan of this at all, as that can potentially be a huge game changer. Popping a CR 3-4 creature would become the default opening every time, despite the limited number of spirit surges.
    • Magus – Call of the Void (p): Tapping the dark knowledge of beyond, the magus may cast black tentacles.
    Again, not really a fan of adding 4th-level spells. While I have added a few through class features and domains, they're almost exclusively non-combat. This is pretty much a guaranteed lock down against everyone but a gladiator or breathstealer.
    • Spellblade – Deadly Formation (Su): When casting a summon monster or summon nature's ally spell, the spellblade may cause it to deal his eldritch blast damage to all creatures adjacent to the space in which the creature forms. If summoning multiple creatures one must be chosen to benefit from this effect.
    Interesting ability. I think a variation of this would work nicely.

Spell List
    <snip>
    I'll have to review the spell list later.

Chymist
    As cool as alchemy is, I've just never really been a fan of alchemy based character concepts. Still, it's a popular concept that certainly would seem to have a place here. I'm not opposed to having one, provided it's done in a way I can approve. Also, I'll definitely end up changing the name.

Spoiler
    Show
    Potions, poison, and explosives are the tools of the trade for the clever agent.

Prerequisites: Chymist is available to any Skillful class.
    Archetype Skills: An chymist gains craft (alchemy) and craft (poison) as a class skills if he does not already possess them.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A chymist gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.
    Seems right.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Alchemical Adept (Ex): A chymist may use craft (alchemy) as if possessing a caster level equal to his class level. Additionally, he gains a bonus on craft (alchemy) checks equal to his level.
    Exists as part of Expert (Craftsman) class, but not out of place here, even if it effectively saves an Expert a knack.
    • Improvised Explosives (Ex): A chymist may prepare, with one hour of work, up to his level plus his INT modifier alchemical vials. These vials may be used as thrown splash weapons, dealing 1d6 damage per class level to the target (no save) and 1 damage per level to all creatures within 5 ft (Ref save for half, DC = 10+1/2 class level + INT mod). The damage may be fire, cold, shock, or acid, chosen individually as they are prepared. These vials may be thrown as an attack action.
    Don't care for the name, but I actually do like the ability. Damage seems a bit high, but it's a neat ability.
    • Toil and Trouble (Ex): the chemist gains brew potion as a bonus feat, using his class level in place of caster level. He may brew potions or oils as if he had the spell list of any spellcasting archetype, chosen for the day after resting (including one domain if choosing the priest archetype). The chymist never pays XP costs for brewing potions.
    I don't mind the bonus feat, but completely negating XP cost isn't going to happen.
    • Moderate Archetype Power
    • Volatile Potions (Su): Each morning when preparing his explosive vials, the chemist may also brew up to his level in volatile potions. These potions have no cost, but become inert after 24 hrs. A DC 5 craft alchemy or appraise DC 10 check reveal this limitation.
    Not really a fan of this, as it seems to serve no real purpose other than to try to screw NPC shopkeepers.
    • Poison Use (Ex): A chymist is never harms himself when applying poison to a weapon.
    Seems reasonable, but he suddenly went from ranged at 1st to melee at 3rd. That seems a bit disjointed... Perhaps including this at first level would be better and then an improvement on the splodey vials at 3rd? Not sure, but that's what I'm thinking.
    Greater Archetype Power
    • Swift Poison (Ex): the chymist may apply poison to a weapon as a move action.
    Is he an assassin now? I don't think this fits.
    • Advanced Vials(Ex): the chymist's volatile vials now affect all creatures within 10 ft of the target creature. The chymist may choose to make the vial deal force or sonic damage, but the splash range remains 5 ft.
    Hmm... interesting progression, though it seems a bit off somehow.
    Capstone: An chymist adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Class 1 – Capstone Ability Name (Ex/Su/Sp): Description.
    • Expert – Insightful Detonation (Ex): For three rounds the Expert adds his INT modifier to volatile vial damage.
    • Class 3 – Capstone Ability Name (Ex/Su/Sp): Description.
    Seems about right for Expert.

The Assassin capstone for the acrobat is confusingly worded.

Acrobat – Opportunistic Backstab (Ex): When an enemy provokes an attack of opportunity against the acrobat, he may make a Tumble check vs DC 15. If successful, he slips through his opponent's defenses and is able to apply sneak attack damage to the attack.
    It simply means he applies Sneak Attack to the AoO he makes against the enemy. I've fixed it to be more clear.

Also, it is very similar to the acrobat's default capstone tuck and roll:

Tuck and Roll (Ex): As a move action, the acrobat can tumble through an opponent's square. If the acrobat avoids the opponent's attacks of opportunity for movement, she can treat that opponent as flat-footed against her next attack.

I suppose on close reading they are subtly different (OB applies sneak attack damage but doesn't flat-foot, doesn't require movement or have a specified action). Still, seems like it would be better to make it more unique, though I'm not sure what would be a better replacement.
    They are similar but really quite different.
    Tuck and Roll is a move action done on the acrobat's turn to render his opponent flat-footed, which can apply sneak attack if the acrobat has the right archetype.
    Opportunistic Backstab applies sneak attack damage to an attack of opportunity made by the acrobat but does not render the target flat-footed.

Idea: Surprise Kick: When making a swinging kick, the acrobat can make a tumble check opposed by the target's reflex save. If successful, the target is flat-footed against the kick and the acrobat may execute a death attack as part of the kick as if he had studied the target for 3 rounds.
    Faster death attacks are not going to happen.

1Backgrounds
    Spoiler
    Show
    Background:
    Phalanx Trained
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have spend many hours training top fight in a shield wall.
    • You may wield spears, longspears, glaives, and ranseurs as one-handed weapons.
    I like it, but I've got my own take on it that I think I'll use instead. It's basically the same, but I think it will work just a little bit better. I'm still thinking it over though, so it probably won't be showing up in the next update.

1Feats
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, they don't expire but they don't come back. I see. Must have been reading in too many assumptions instead of just the text. Might want to spell out that they never expire or regenerate aside from the given methods (don't come back with resting).

I suppose a high-level feat could allow you to focus as a full-round action (or several minutes or whatever).
    It does occur to me that two characters could just beat on each other to regain focus (Trip attempt, decline to take AOO, stand, repeat). Not sure what, if anything, to do about it.
    Addressing the concerns you voiced in these posts and elsewhere about the Combat Focus feat, I've rewritten it a bit to make things more clear.
    Combat Focus [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trained warriors often enter a state of heightened awareness and achieve near superhuman levels of strength, endurance, and skill.
    Prerequisites: Int, Wis, or Cha 13
    Benefit: You gain access to Focus Points, which may be spent on a variety of abilities. Upon taking this feat, you immediately gain a number of Focus Points equal to your Hit Dice. The maximum number of Focus Points you may have at one time is equal to your Hit Dice. You must expend at least one Focus Point to activate Focus abilities, though some abilities may require more than one.
    Once per encounter, you may spend 1 Focus Point as a swift or immediate action to gain a +2 bonus to either Fortitude, Reflex, or Will saves until your next turn. If you have at least four Focus feats, this bonus increases to +4.

Focus Points do not renew automatically. In order to gain additional Focus Points, you must perform one of four actions listed below.
    • Slaying a Foe: When you successfully attack an enemy and reduce his hit points to 0 or lower, you gain one Focus Points.
    • Making Critical Hits: When you confirm a critical hit against an enemy, you gain 1 Focus Points.
    • Successful Combat Maneuvers: When you make a successful bull rush, disarm, feint, grapple, overrun, sunder, or trip attack, you gain 1 Focus Points.
    • Defending an Ally: Anytime you prevent an attack against an ally, you gain 1 Focus Points. Such actions include, but are not limited to, disrupting a spell cast against an ally, stopping an enemy charging at an ally, using the In Harm's Way ability. Simply negating the damage or effect is not sufficient. The attack itself must be prevented from occuring.

You do not ever gain Focus Points for attacks against helpless creatures, creatures with fewer than half your Hit Dice, or attacks against allies and you do not gain Focus Points from attacks on which you spent Focus Points.
    In addition, other feats or abilities may grant Focus Points or provide additional ways to gain Focus Points.

Focused Brutality [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trained warriors can use their mental focus to ensure a killing blow is unavoidable.
    Benefit: When threatening a critical, you may spend 1 FP as an immediate action to automatically confirm the critical.
    Renamed.

Meditation [Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Calm reflection centers the mind.
    Benefit: After resting for a minimum of 8 hours, you may spend 1 hour meditating to regain level/2 FP. You may not exceed your maximum FP.
    Renamed and clarified.

Perfect Strike [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steady hands and careful aim win the day.
    Benefit: You may spend 1 FP as a swift action to roll twice for your next attack. Use the best result. If one roll threatens a critical, the second roll acts as your confirmation roll.
    Slight edit, made the feat below a prereq.

Try, Try Again [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A skilled warrior can use an apparent miss into open his foes defenses.
    Benefit: After making an attack with a weapon or natural weapon, you may spend 2 FP as an immediate action to re-roll the attack. You must take the result of the second roll, even if it is worse. You may choose to use this ability after the result of the roll has been announced.
    Renamed.

Expansive Calm [Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are capable of holding your focus through great exertion.
    Benefit: Your maximum focus increases by 2. You immediately gain 2 FP upon taking this feat, which may be spent and recovered as normal. This feat may be taken more than once, the additional increase in FP capacity stacks.
    Decided not to include this feat, at least for now.

Focused Fortitude [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A hardened warrior can ignore his wounds.
    Benefit: As a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, you may spend up to your level in FP, healing 3 points of HP per FP spent. Any excess healed is lost.
    Decided not to include this feat. Added Focused Body instead.

Preparations [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The veteran warrior knows how to steel himself for battle.
    Prerequisites: Combat Focus, Focused Fortitude
    Benefit: As a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, you may spend up to your level in FP, granting yourself 5 temporary HP per FP spent. These temp HP do not stack with THP from any other source and persist for class level minutes.
    Decided not to include this feat.

Adrenaline Rush [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your focus allows you to move faster and hit harder than your foes.
    Benefit: As a swift action, you may spend up to your level FP to grant a, insight bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, or AC (and touch AC) equal to the focus points spend or an insight bonus on movement equal to 5' x FP spent for level rounds. Attacks made using this bonus generate FP, an exception to the normal FP generation restrictions.
    Decided not to include this feat, but I'd like to include something similar.

ed - new feats
    Bestial Focus [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You imitate the deadly lunge of the wild beasts.
    Benefit: As a swift action, you may spend 1 FP to grant yourself the pounce ability until the end of your turn.
    Not sure I want to grant pounce through a feat, as there are a few "pounce-like" class and archetype abilities already. A few would really tread on their toes and be the default feat choice for pretty much anyone except Sentinels and even many of them. Decided not to include this feat.

Mighty Lunge [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You dart in and out with blinding speed.
    Benefit: As a swift action, you may spend 1 FP to increase your melee weapon reach by 5' until the start of your next turn.
    Renamed, slight changes.

Deadly Blow [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your blow lands heavily, inflicting a terrible wound.
    Benefit: When you hit with a weapon or natural weapon attack you may spend 1 FP as an immediate action to maximize your weapon damage.
    Never been a fan of maximize abilities. I might reconsider this one later though.

Bloody Focus [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pain brings clarity.
    Prerequisites: Combat Focus, Meditation
    Benefit: When a creature confirms a critical hit against you, succeeds with a combat maneuver verses you, or negates one of your attacks, you gain 1 FP. You cannot gain more than 1 FP per round from this ability.
    Seems interesting, but I think it's something I'd want to playtest a bit before adding in. Something about it doesn't quite sit right with me.

Ranged Training [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your mental focus grants you deadly precision.
    Benefit: Choose a ranged weapon type (shortbow, crossbow, etc). As long as you have at least 1 FP, you are treated as having the feats point blank shot, precise shot, and rapid shot for that weapon only. Once chosen the weapon can only be changed with 8 hrs of intense training with a new weapon. This feat counts as point blank shot, precise shot, and rapid shot for the purposes of qualifying for other feats.

(I think the feat tax on ranged combat is terrible design, so this reduces the burden, giving you the one feat you wanted (rapid shot) combined with the one you have to take anyway even though it is weak (PBS) and the one that only exists as a feat tax to address a rule that could have been done away with (precise shot). It is a strong feat relative to others, though it only applies to one weapon at a time, but really, the feat tax needs to die. Remove rapid shot from the list if its too strong.)
    I'd rather do this kind of thing within the range focused archetypes. Feat tax is also less of an issue in E6.

Focused Maneuver [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can see the flaws in your opponents stance and exploits them to send him reeling.
    Benefit: You may spend FP as part of a combat maneuver. You gain an insight bonus on all checks related to the maneuver equal to twice the FP spent.
    While interesting and probably quite acceptable, I'd like to playtest this one in a few situations before adding it in.

1Magic
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Typo) Stinking miasma - it should be a -5 penalty, not a +5 penalty

I like the change to restorative dew. I was just thinking of how over-powered it was with the rejuvenation spells. I was going t suggest putting in a clause that it only effect fast healing spells once per creature per casting, but that still would have been very efficient for a 1st level spell. I think I preferred the scaling penalty for stinking miasma though. It has a short duration and little out of combat application. I don't see using it in its current form, though it is stronger in the earliest levels than my version. Maybe reducing healing by 3+level/3?
    I have fixed the typo and changed the spell ability from reducing the effects of healing magic to dealing 1 point of nonlethal damage to all living creatures in the mist at the start of their turn, no save.

Should there be a mass minor rejuvenation?
    I considered it and decided against it. Mass fast healing just seemed a bit too strong.

Summon Living Element - 1/2 level duration for a full round cast to get a medium? The green mage can summon any small elemental as a 2nd level or 1d3 as a 3rd. I hoped the summon would be beefed up a bit to account for the severely restricted options, either reducing casting time or increasing duration. For a third level spell, maybe getting a small for minutes/level (allowing more out-of-combat utility) or a medium for rounds (not much use out of combat, very useful in)?
    To be 100% honest, I posted the wrong version of this spell. Looking back at my notes, I had changed it but copy/pasted the old version instead of the updated one. I'll have that fixed in the next update.

Gentle Breath
    Spheres: Air/Life
    Spoiler
    Show
    Granted Power
    Choose one
    1. Buoying breeze: once per day as a swift action you may levitate per the spell for class level rounds
    2. Whispering winds: may cast message as the spell at will

1 - Color spray Knocks unconscious, blinds, and/or stuns weak creatures. (non-lethal, light...thematically weak)
    1 - Silent Image description (creating something 'from the air', it has no substance)
    2 - Detect Thoughts Allows “listening” to surface thoughts.
    2 - See Invisibility Reveals invisible creatures or objects.
    3 - Tongues Speak any language.
    3 - Fly Subject flies at speed of 60 ft.

Air and life just seem like a good fit for divination spells to me. <shrug>
    Used some of your suggestions here, though I had several of those spells already down for that divine domain. You also forgot the requisite Summon Living Element spell.

Edit: Added spoilers, because that is one MASSIVE wall of text otherwise.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-14 at 02:17 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Whoa feedback! Yeah, there's no way I can respond without missing quite a bit.

Mimic- I originally wrote it to use its own unique pool of improvisation points refilled by making attacks, saves, and casting spells, but changed it to FP to make use of all the other FP stuff that comes with the system. Easy enough to change it back. Retain move is to let you use the ability for multiple rounds (if you have the points to do so) and deny them they use it. Anyway, I like it as a core archetype to give an anti-mage parallel to the spellbreaker that matches the skilled classes better.

Whip-master was written before I had a better feel for how broad an archetype should be, hence its focus. Turns out you need a lot of abilities to make whips a good primary weapon. Broadening it could work, but so many abilities imply a flexible weapon.

Shootist - If the name has good enough for John Wayne, its good enough for me. Not real keen on the elemental bit myself, but I wanted something to distinguish it from PF's gunslinger and darklink shadow had just proposed the idea.

Caller - my other idea for a high-level ability was to extent the duration of a summons to unlimited, but only allowed to have one such summoned at a time.

For the chymist, the volatile potions are to try to make potions useful by allowing some to be made each day without cost, allowing them to be used without reservation, but not creating an infinite wealth stream. If a shopkeeper can't hit a DC 10 appraise check then they deserve it. Poison use is a bit tacked on.

Acrobat/assassin- I completely misunderstood Opportunistic Backstab. Makes sense now.

For some reason I can't type augur right. Though the typo does create an interesting mental image.

I think I responded to any questions you posted and clarified anything I felt needed it. Thanks for the lengthy response.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-14 at 07:47 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban
    Good concept, terrible name.
    Shootist - If the name has good enough for John Wayne, its good enough for me. Not real keen on the elemental bit myself, but I wanted something to distinguish it from PF's gunslinger and darklink shadow had just proposed the idea.
    Alternate name Ideas:

Marksman? Sharp Shooter? Adept Archer? Deadeye? Sniper? Ranger?
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-05-14 at 08:14 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, I think I have now officially replied to everything that I haven't replied to already.

darklink_shadow

Quote Originally Posted by darklink_shadow View Post
    Desperado
    Overall, I have to say that I really like this archetype. It definitely managed to capture the feel I was trying to attain in several ways. I believe that I'm going to use large portions of this along with a little bit from stack's Shootist to create the Desperado archetype. Thanks for the ideas!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master of short-range combat

Prerequisites: Desperado is free to any Combat or Skill classs
    Archetype Skills: A Desperado always has intimidate.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A desperado gains proficiency with hand crossbows and pistols if -he does not already possess it.
    Seems right, though I'd likely add Ride too.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Mounted Gunman(Ex): Ignore penalties caused by being mounted
    • Quick-draw(Ex): As part of a initiative roll, a Desperado may draw one weapon of his choosing.
    • Well-trained(Ex):The Desperado has point-blank shot, precise shot, and rapid reload feats, but only for hand-crossbows and pistols.
    Well, huh. I like it. I don't know why I never thought to add the mounted bonus before. Those all look good.
    Moderate Archetype Power
    • Gritty(Ex/Su/Sp): A Desperado can take a hit as well as he can give them, and he gains DR equal to half his level bypassed by adamantite
    Hmm... I'm not sure on giving him DR, though it could possibly be appropriate. I'd have to think about that.
    • Lone Wolf (Ex): The Desperado has lived through tougher times alone than most people could survive with help. He gains a bonus to survival checks equal to 5 and this bonus improves to 8 at level 5.
    Seems appropriate.
    • Dead Stare (Ex): As a swift action after dropping a foe in combat, a Desperado may make a free intimidate check with a bonus equal to the CR of the enemy he drops in the attempts to demoralize the remainder of his foes.
    I like it. Seems perfect or the Desperado! Great ability.
    • Shotgun Diplomacy In place of a diplomacy check, the Desperado may make an intimidate check as long as he is armed.
    This one, on the other hand, isn't something I'll want to use.
    Greater Archetype Power
    • Die Another Day (Ex): When taking a fatal blow, the Desperado may make a fort save DC: equal to the amount of damage he would have to resist to be put at exactly -9 hp. If he passes, he is instead at -5 hp and stable.
    Seems alight, though it'll need some reworking to make it right.
    • Shrapnel Rounds(Su): Every shot of the Gunslinger's gun can either deal bleed damage equal to one fourth the damage he dealt or be fired so that he forms an explosive cone. This cone be "start" anywhere along his bullet's path, and acts as a 15' cone originating at the point designated in the direction he fired.

((If this isn't clear I will draw it later.))
    Bleed damage? Oh! Pathfinder. This ability really seems to be edging back into the ad hoc alchemist again, so I'd rather avoid it.
    • Piercing arrows: The Desperado's bolts fired from a hand cross bow instead fire as a line attack within his first attack increment, and deal damage to all targets within that path. (Basically, he 'casts' a line of pain, and everyone afflicted is hit by his bolt.)
    That could work.
    Capstone: An gunslinger adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Brawler - Pistol Whip (Ex/Su/Sp): Anyone who moves adjacent to a Brawler Desperado provokes a pistol whip, although the Desperado must use his AoO for this attack. A pistol whip does damage equal to a club, and requires a fort save or daze affect. Ouch.
    Hmm... maybe.
    • Gladiator - Shot on the Run(Ex/Su/Sp): While moving, the Gladiator Desperado may fire off a quick shot. ((See flyby attack? My Desperado and the Gladiator mesh really well already, I didn't want to give much of a capstone.))
    This ability seems more appropriate to the Brawler or Acrobat than the Gladiator.
    • Sentinel - Something (Ex/Su/Sp): The Sentinel Desperado does something.
    Something indeed.
    • Acrobat - Dodge Roll Once per round, you can make a tumble check (or acrobatics, whatever this should be) and roll 5ft out of harms way, negating the attack.
    That could work, though it still needs to be a once per encounter ability.
    • Expert - Alchemical Rounds See Alchemical rounds from my last attempt.
    That could potentially work for the Expert, though it's still something I'd prefer to avoid with this archetype.
    • Troubadour - Country Folk Song While singing about your woman leaving you for a man with a bigger horse and taking your dog, a mace to the head just doesn't feel quite as bad as it should. Your allies gain your Gritty power while this Aura is up.
    Absolutely hilarious! While absolutely great, I don't think that I'll end up using it. It's just a bit too humerous to fit. I might use the ability, but the fluff is going to have to change.

3Hawk7915

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    This is great work, Rizban! I noticed the Trapfinder Archetype doesn't currently have a spell list to draw from, or capstones for the Magic base classes.
    Trapsmith will have its own spell list when I get it finished, but it will definitely be more limited that most Magic archetypes. It may end up possible that a Magic class might have more spells known than spells available on his list... I'm not 100% sure on the list yet, but it is something I'm working on doing.

Trapsmith Capstones
    Spoiler
    Show

Capstone: A Trapsmith adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Augur – Change Fate (Su): By spending two motes, the Augur may reroll a failed skill check or saving throw, but must use the new result even if it is lower.
    • Magus – Esoteric Security (Su): For three rounds, you add your Intelligence modifier to your Search, Spot, Listen, Disable Device, and Open Lock checks.
    • Spellblade –Trap Power (Su): When you create a trap, magical or otherwise, its save DC is increased by 2 and it has a +2 bonus on caster level checks to beat spell resistance.
    I like these capstones, but I'm going to go with variations on the ones proposed by stack. While his might also be a little stronger, I really like the flavor of them and think they fit well with the archetype. The list you've provided could work, but they're a little lackluster compared to the other options available to the classes, though that Augur ability is pretty strong.

Let me introduce...

Spellguard
    Already did a brief review of this earlier, though I can't remember if I had posted it or not. Going over it again, because it's definitely a concept I like.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most consider Arcane Magic to be a tool for war and destruction. The Spellguard instead focuses their arcane magic towards tactics, utility, and defense, the "Soft" style to contrast a Red Mage's "hard" style of spellcasting.
    Apt description.

Prerequisites: Spellguard is available to any Magic class.
    Archetype Skills: A Spellguard gains Knowledge: Arcana as a class skill if he does not already possess it.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A Spellguard gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.
    I half expected him to gain armor of some kind, but this works.

Spellguard Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Spellcaster: A Spellguard casts arcane spells focused on protection, support, utility, and battlefield control.
    • Arcane Defense (Su): The Spellguard is a master of magic, and understands how to defend against it. They gain a +1 bonus to saving throws. This bonus increases to +2 at 5th level.
    • Familar: A Spellguard can obtain a familiar. Doing so takes 24 hours and uses up magical materials that cost 100 gp. A familiar is a magical beast that resembles a small animal and is unusually tough and intelligent. The creature serves as a companion and servant.
      The Spellguard chooses the kind of familiar he gets. As the spellguard advances in level, his familiar also increases in power.
      If the familiar dies or is dismissed by the spellguard, the spellguard must attempt a DC 15 Fortitude saving throw. Failure means he loses 200 experience points per spellguard level; success reduces the loss to one-half that amount. However, a spellguard experience point total can never go below 0 as the result of a familiar’s demise or dismissal. A slain or dismissed familiar cannot be replaced for a year and day. A slain familiar can be raised from the dead just as a character can be, and it does not lose a level or a Constitution point when this happy event occurs.
    Arcane spells, bonus on saves, and a familiar. Seems pretty good, though the familiar might be a little out of place. I also expected to see dispel magic or some other sort of protective spell as an always known spell here somewhere.
    Moderate Archetype Power
    • Expanded Arcana (Ex): The Spellguard has access to more arcane power than normal for a member of his class. A Spellblade gains one additional 1st level spell known. A Magus gains one additional spell/day of their highest level of spell known. An Augur gains bonus motes equal to their level.
    I'm really not a big fan of this ability. Extra magic can be rather potent. I've already tried to max out what the Magic classes have available per day while still maintaining balance, and adding more to it isn't something I think should be done lightly.
    Greater Archetype Power
    • Bonus Feat: The Spellguard gains a bonus feat. The feat must be a metamagic feat, a spell focus feat, or Spell Penetration.
    Not really the best capstone, though I'd prefer to not have too many open selection bonus feats available. Bonus feats also really aren't that great of a bonus in E6.
    Capstone: A Spellguard adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Augur – Manipulate Magic (Su): You may apply a metamagic feat of cost 3 or less, even if you don't have the feat, for no mote cost and no increase in casting time.
    Yeah, that's really strong and already effectively what the spirit surge is supposed to be for.
    • Magus – Arcane Wayfarer (Sp): You may cast Dimension Door, as the spell.
    I don't really see how that fits with the archetype...
    • Spellblade – Enchant Item (Su): For three rounds, you may add +2 worth of bonuses to a masterwork or enchanted weapon or piece of armor wielded by the Spellblade
    This ability seems good, though I really expected it to be defensive only.

Spellguard Spell List
    Spoiler
    Show

0th-level Spells (Cantrips)
    • Arcane Step†
    • Daze
    • Detect Magic
    • Light
    • Mage Hand
    • Mending
    • Read Magic

1st-level Spells
    • Alarm
    • Benign Transposition
    • Comprehend Languages
    • Endure Elements
    • Expeditious Retreat
    • Disguise Self
    • Feather Fall
    • Floating Disc
    • Grease
    • Identify
    • Mage Armor
    • Magic Missile
    • Magic Weapon
    • Protection from Alignment
    • Obscuring Mist
    • Reduce Person
    • Shield
    • Silent Image
    • Sleep

2nd level spells:
    • Alter Self
    • Baleful Transposition
    • Bear's Endurance
    • Bull's Strength
    • Cat's Grace
    • Daze Monster
    • Detect Thoughts
    • Eagle's Splendor
    • Fox's Cunning
    • Invisibility
    • Knock
    • Minor Image
    • Mirror Image
    • Owl's Wisdom
    • Protection from Arrows
    • Resist Energy
    • Shatter

3rd-level Spells:
    • Arcane Sight
    • Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
    • Dispel Magic
    • Displacement
    • Explosive Runes
    • Fly
    • Haste
    • Hold Person
    • Major Image
    • Protection from Energy
    • Sleet Storm
    • Slow
    • Water Breathing

I'll have to review spell lists when the archetypes are more thoroughly completely.

Arcane Step
    Spoiler
    Show
    Conjuration (Teleportation)
    Level: Spellguard 0
    Components: V
    Casting Time: 1 move action
    Range: 10 feet
    Target: You and touched objects or willing creatures.
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None and Will negates (objects)
    Spell Resistance: No and Yes (object)

With a word, you shimmer, flicker, and appear in a nearby location.

You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range and line of fire. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load). If you arrive in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, you and each creature traveling with you take 1d6 points of damage and are shunted to a random open space on a suitable surface within 10 feet of the intended location.

If there is no free space within 10 feet, you and each creature traveling with you take an additional 2d6 points of damage and are shunted to a free space within 100 feet. If there is no free space within 100 feet, you and each creature travelling with you take an additional 4d6 points of damage and the spell simply fails.
    While I'm not opposed to a low level teleport ability, a 0-level teleport that can take other creatures with it is just way too strong.

Some ideas left behind for the archetype were:

• "Free" Arcane Thesis to make metamagic easier to add to spells.
    I'm almost done with a metamagic focused archetype, and I'd rather not give that ability out to other archetypes without very good reason.
    • More bonus spells known, to bring it up to par with other caster lists that get three bonus spells.
    That's what I expected to see, though it's really not a requirement.
    • Some sorta bonus to countering spells.
    I wouldn't mind seeing a bonus to the roll, but, as stack mentioned, the better ability is part of the Augur class. I'd rather not give a version of that to the archetypes.
    • Increased AC bonus from defensive spells.
    That seems like a good addition and is definitely what I expected to see from the class.

3Kerleth

Already responded to the next post but wanted to say a bit more that was relevant to the section of this post immediately previous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerleth View Post
    I think that what the spellguard really lacked was a hook, some sort of signature ability or combination of abilities that really makes it stand out. Considering the theme of the class, enhanced ability at counterspelling and dispeling seems like a good fit. Perhaps the ability to counterspell as an immediate action, and being able to spontaneously cast dispel magic, like a priest does with cure spells?
    edit: I forgot the augur gets some counterspelling abilities. Perhaps instead a bonus on dispelling checks along with the spontaneous casting of dispel magic. Then the archetype synergies with and augments the augur's counterspelling, but is also useful to other classes.
    A unique ability that is useful to all classes and synergizes well with Augur would probably be ideal, as long as it doesn't step on the Augur's toes by giving away her class ability to other classes. I'm definitely against giving an ability of one class to another, though not necessarily giving another class access to the same mechanics. E.g., a class could pick up limited Channeling through an archetype, but it would have its own channeling abilities rather than the Augur's abilities (see Templar).

I think the focus feats are a nice idea. They aren't for everybody, but not everybody has to use them. I wonder if you might want to add into the brute's rage ability that he can't use focus feats while raging. If they are more strategic, emphasizing combat tricks and precise timing it might be flavorful. Depends on how you design them. On the other hand, taking away options is, well, TAKING AWAY OPTIONS!
    I think the rage ability is limited enough as it is.

Spoiler
    Show
    I know it was a few posts back, but I really like the racial archetypes ideas. Some questions while on the topic.

1) So far I've been assuming that you have been using 3.5 base races, is that correct?
    2) Have you considered doing a write up for race base stats and abilities, or are you pretty much satisfied and just want to do racial archetypes to expand them?
    3) Have you considered doing LA 1 races as archetypes? What I mean is, you could have base stats for, let's say, drow that would be balanced with all the other base races. Then you could create a racial archetype for them that gives them all the bells and whistles that a "full" drow would have. Taking the archetype may or may not be mandatory for such a race, depending on how you wanted to design it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Yes, I'll be using the base races until such time as I choose not to use them. I don't really plan to switch them out though.
    2. I'll do a full write up for each race in the Census project.
    3. Three different parts to this answer:
      • I'm not sure what to do with low LA races yet. High LA ones will be in the monster project as either classes or archetypes. Lower LA races may just get a benefit reduction and a racial paragon archetype, though that will also usually require expanding on the racial abilities some to make a fully fleshed out archetype. This option is definitely the most work.
      • What I'm most seriously considering for low LA races is just stripping them down and then offering their racial abilities back in the form of racial feats. Since feats are rather plentiful in E6 and most low LA races wouldn't make a full class or archetype, that seems like the easiest option at the moment.
      • My final idea is to offer ACFs for them. A drow, for example, might have a Brawler ACF that drops Flurry of Strikes for Poison Use and part of their original racial abilities back. I'm least sure of this idea, though it could work with some effort and might end up being the easiest to balance.

Holy Warrior
    Skipping over this entirely, because I've already responded to it rather extensively.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-14 at 11:45 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Glad it helps. I am pretty keen on shotgun diplomacy though. Lots of desperados use shotgun diplomacy and I think the mechanic I gave it is the best implementation you could have for it.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

I've been thinking (scary, I know) that maybe the skilled classes could use a debuffing focused archetype?

Tomorrow I'll flesh-out the Cad. It will start with weak debuffs in place of attacks (deafened, dazzled), progressing to reduced costs for the weak conditions and stronger conditions with high action costs, eventually reaching things like blind and confusion. My goal will be to have an array of abilities to target various defenses and inflict a wide variety of conditions so that the player isn't foiled by the myriad immunities that monsters can have.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

That seems like a good concept.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Changelog
    • General: Archived all extant changelogs to the front page for easy reference.

• Class: Brawler – clarified issue with Critical Strike
    • Class: Expert
      • fixed typos
      • fixed error in Insight ability
      • Added Journeyman professional knack.
      • Knack lists alphabatized
    • Class: Troubadour – Inspiring Auras list alphabatized
    • Class: Augur – fixed typos, added duration to Vigor
    • Class: Spellblade – Minor clarifications on eldritch blast and spell conduit

• Archetype: Added Duelist!
    • Archetype: Added Templar!
    • Archetype: Added Hoplite!
    • Archetype: Assassin – clarified Acrobat capstone
    • Archetype: Beastmaster – fixed Augur ability
    • Archetype: Trapsmith – Added capstones for Augur, Magus, and Spellblade

• Feats: Added Combat, Magic, and Skillful Feats rules.
    • Feats: Added the following feats
      • Combat Focus
      • Combat Lunge
      • Focused Body
      • Focused Critical
      • Meditative Focus
      • Perfect Strike
      • Unerring Strike

• Divine Domains: Edited the Air spell selection. Finished the Gentle Breath divine domain.
    • Spells: Stinking Miasma – spell effect slightly altered.
    • Spells: Summon Living Element – uploaded the correct spell description.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

woot, coming along nicely.

so, Riz, in your opinion, how close is this to being ready for a playtest?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    woot, coming along nicely.

so, Riz, in your opinion, how close is this to being ready for a playtest?
    It's probably ready to do a public playtest now. The Combat classes and archetypes are definitely mature enough to run without problem, and the other two types have enough support to be able to use, even if they're not fully mature yet.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Cad
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honor is a comfort for the loser. Better to just win.
    Prerequisites: Cad is available to any Skillful class.
    Archetype Skills: A Cad gains bluff as a class skill if he does not already possess it.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A Cad gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Dirty Tricks (Ex): Spit, throw dirt, sucker punch, nerve strike; however you do it, its dirty. As a standard action you may inflict the blinded, dazzled, deafened, entangled, shaken, or sickened condition on an opponent inside your melee range. Your target may make a save of DC equal to 10+level/2+dex or str mod. If they fail the save, they are afflicted with the chosen condition for 1d5 rounds or until they take a standard action to remove it. The save if fort for dazzled, deafened, or sickened; reflex for blinded or entangled,; and will for shaken. The creature takes to penalty on a successful save.
    • Sidestep (Ex): Once per encounter, when flanked by at least two creatures and targeted by one of the flanking creatures, the Cad may, as an immediate action, redirect the attack against any other of the flanking creatures.

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Quick and Dirty (Ex): Your dirty tricks may now be performed as a move action
    • Lingering Affliction (Ex): The duration of your dirty tricks is increased by 1/2 your level, rounded down.

Greater Archetype Power
    • Downright Mean (Ex): Your dirty tricks now require a full-round action to remove.
    • Tiresome (Ex): Any time a creature is under the effects of 3 or more dirty tricks, the creature is fatigued. If effected by 6 or more, the creature is exhausted. These conditions end as soon as the creature is no longer effected by the required number of dirty tricks.

Capstone: A Cad adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Acrobat – Preemptive Retaliation (Ex): When provoking an attack of opportunity, the acrobat may, as an immediate action, use one dirty trick against the attacking creature. This trick is resolved before the AOO.
    • Expert – Insightful Trick (Ex): When using a dirty trick, the expert may expend insight points up to half his level to increase the tricks DC by a number equal to the insight points spent.
    • Troubadour – Tenacious Trick (Ex): The troubador may force his target to re-roll a save against a dirty trick, taking the worse roll.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-20 at 01:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

It's probably ready to do a public playtest now. The Combat classes and archetypes are definitely mature enough to run without problem, and the other two types have enough support to be able to use, even if they're not fully mature yet.
    In that case, I'll try to set up a one-shot by Saturday to give things a test run. When I do, I'll link it to this thread.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

I like the concept of the Cad, but I have to say that I'm really not a fan of the implementation... I'm not sure what to suggest at the moment, but I just really don't like it. I was going to try to review it, but I found myself at a bit of a loss for what to say specifically... I feel bad for that, but...

1I've been working on a concept for a Magic archetype that I really, really like. The problem is that it keeps trying to turn into a class while still being an archetype. It's frustrating trying to find a balance. Because of how I setup the system, it's going to have to be an archetype. In reality though, I think I'm going end up posting it as its own project as a standard 3.5 class in addition to being an archetype for this system.

All that said, I'm recreating the 2e Sha'ir, the Al-Qadim spellcaster based on genies. I've run into the following observations:
    • The spell fetching mechanic as it exists in 2e and 3.X, while amazing, would demand it's own class to implement as it exists in either of those systems.
    • As an R'E6 class, it would be able to access any Magic archetype, most of which are totally unsuited to the concept.
    • As an R'E6 archetype, it loses the key feature of the Sha'ir, i.e. the spell fetching.
    • The 2e/3.X Sha'ir is both arcane and divine with access to basically any and all spells. While the a/d issue poses no problems here, all spell access would simply not work with the existing mechanics.

All that noted, it would seem that this concept is doomed to failure without it being a special case class with its own archetype list in a secondary supplement. That's really not something I want to do. As such, I believe I have come up with a solution that is both flavorful and has a potentially amazing cool factor that would easily rocket this to my favorite Magic type period.

The archetype concept will essentially become a genie based version of the Tome of Magic's Binder. The Sha'ir will periodically make pacts with genies to gain his power, gaining access to varying spell lists based on his pact. The archetype will override the Magic class' method of "knowing" spells, changing them based on his pact, though each class will still be limited by his maximum known. This is exceptionally good for the Spellblade, good for the Augur, and... "interesting" to the Magus, as it lets them switch out spells known.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

that certainly sounds intriguing. Honestly, though, (as much as its own splatbook worth of stuff isn't really an option at this time), if the Sha'ir was its own published splatbook, I'd buy it.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Well, then I just might end up doing that as some point.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

If anyone has ideas for fixing up the Cad I'm all ears. I'm not entirely happy with how it came out either. Right now its basically a bunch of ways to do single-target melee debuffs, which was not exactly how I had conceived of it, but I was trying to have it make fluff sense without depending on items.

Binder-style would be interesting. (The prosopon could use some company in the binder/incarnum-esque field)

ed-I am so torn as to what I would play in the playtest game. I originally was set on an augur, but now that the duelist and hoplite are 'official' I don't think I could resist. But having to choose...
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-16 at 09:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

ed-I am so torn as to what I would play in the playtest game. I originally was set on an augur, but now that the duelist and hoplite are 'official' I don't think I could resist. But having to choose...
    I know how you feel!
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

For my first playtest, I was thinking of either playing an Acrobat Duelist critical monster or a completely non-combat character. The only problem I have is that right now, you have 9 archetypes available to all Combat classes and only 5 for the Magic and Skillful ones.

I really do like this E6, however. It is new, exciting and easy to use... and when I look at Aldhaven, I can't help but think how cool it would be to have an E6 version of that sandbox.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    For my first playtest, I was thinking of either playing an Acrobat Duelist critical monster or a completely non-combat character. The only problem I have is that right now, you have 9 archetypes available to all Combat classes and only 5 for the Magic and Skillful ones.
    I think you meant Brawler Duelist.

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    I really do like this E6, however. It is new, exciting and easy to use... and when I look at Aldhaven, I can't help but think how cool it would be to have an E6 version of that sandbox.
    That was the original concept for this, yes... Whether or not that's going to happen, I don't know.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Not gonna lie, hoplite is seducing me too, but I think I will stick with a spellsword beastmaster with a military background or a lucky background or maybe even animal friend to have two pets running amok. But having 3 characters to control per turn would get a little annoying, since all 3 are different. (A man, a beast and a forever level 1 beast)

Military is clearly better, casting in medium armor is great! Then again, at level 6 I would have 3 animals with me, 2 of them would be the same, and that is neat!

Do something like a hawk and two riding dogs? Or a riding dog and two hawks? Man...

Maybe a wolf named Nighteyes, a dog name Fitz and a hawk named Falcon. Yeah.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

A beastmaster casts off Green Mage and is thus a divine caster. You don't suffer spell failure for armor with divine spells. You really don't need Military unless you're going for an arcane caster.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Pfft, you and your words.

Wait, you're right!

Ok, probably animal friend then! At least unless a more appealing background comes into existence.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see...hoplite sentinel AC can get impressive.

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 1
    {table]base| 10
    scale mail|+4
    tower shield|+4
    warding bonus|+1
    Dex|+1
    Deflection|+0
    Total AC|20[/table]

Level 6
    {table]base| 10
    Full plate +1|+9
    tower shield +1 |+5
    warding bonus|+3
    Dex|+1
    Deflection|+3
    Amulet of NA +1|1
    Total AC|32[/table]

I was more inclined to the brawler or gladiator but...

Probably go duelist anyway.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-16 at 12:07 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

So, no archetypes let the spellsword get true strike. That's too bad. :( Although I think it fits in the Red Mage set up.

I hope some more magic or "any" archetypes come up. They are rather lacking.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

No archetypes will allow any spellcaster to get true strike. That's a spell I won't be including.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List